Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin: Justin Hartley

atomationage
  • Start Topic

He is definitely the "Pretty" of the show. At the beginning, I thought he were just a jerk, however, the look on his face when Kate said she came because he called, even he interrupted her (almost) having sex. His expression conveyed so much emotions - realizing his selfishness, her sacrifice, etc. And then he fired her - I almost cried with that scene. 

Edited by JunebugWA
  • Love 2
On 11/3/2016 at 3:14 PM, JunebugWA said:

He is definitely the "Pretty" of the show. At the beginning, I thought he were just a jerk, however, the look on his face when Kate said she came because he called, even he interrupted her (almost) having sex. His expression conveyed so much emotions - realizing his selfishness, her sacrifice, etc. And then he fired her - I almost cried with that scene. 

In the pilot episode he came running to her when she hurt her ankle. And got her to say what she needs to do to make her life better, rather than hitting her over the head with it.  Then, there's the fact that he wants to do meaningful work, even though he goes about it the wrong way. Yea, I think he's still likable, just not my favorite or most interesting character. 

• Love 2

I do think his role kind of "parallels" Justin Hartley's real-life. He's known for frothy soap operas- he's never really played a role on a character study drama like this. I would assume that Justin probably wants to be taken more seriously, as he's also at that age where he's starting to get a little too long in the tooth to rely on playing young hunk roles. I'm not sure he's quite Shakespeare-ready, but it's really interesting to see him in something that you wouldn't normally see him in.

I thought he was the most charismatic of the guys on Passions back in the day- it's neat to see he's managed to stay in the game. A lot of former himbo soap stars haven't been able to do it.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do think his role kind of "parallels" Justin Hartley's real-life. He's known for frothy soap operas- he's never really played a role on a character study drama like this. I would assume that Justin probably wants to be taken more seriously, as he's also at that age where he's starting to get a little too long in the tooth to rely on playing young hunk roles. I'm not sure he's quite Shakespeare-ready, but it's really interesting to see him in something that you wouldn't normally see him in.

I thought he was the most charismatic of the guys on Passions back in the day- it's neat to see he's managed to stay in the game. A lot of former himbo soap stars haven't been able to do it.

I would agree. He's very very handsome, but not in a "serious authoritative way". He's aged well, but his type of handsome won't get him roles forever. They often say this about women but it applies to men sometimes too "when someone is pretty, they aren't expected or encouraged to be anything else, and when the beauty fades they have lost their power."

• Love 1

Since joining this show he has been doing a lot of interviews and such, of course. A lot of the comments about his acting career prior to this is us have rubbed me the wrong way. It doesn't seem necessary especially when his fanbase developed from these shows, and he got his start and other opportunities from them. There's just this sense of entitlement and implication that he was somehow above the other roles and having to take his shirt off.  He said the shows were the most amazing thing when he was on them and then as soon as I guess he has "made it" by being on this show, it's ok to mock them. It's interesting to me because I don't find him to be that great of an actor, particularly when it comes to drama. The scene when he was crying at the funeral I thought he was trying to trick her or something, or that he was laughing at some parts. I've watched him in most of his roles and I thought he was best in Passions, ironically. But yes, he keeps saying he can relate to Kevin, which I don't think is necessarily a good thing, as demonstrated by my posts in the latest episode thread. lol!

• Love 2

But yes, he keeps saying he can relate to Kevin, which I don't think is necessarily a good thing, as demonstrated by my posts in the latest episode thread. lol!

I knew it! His acting at the funeral was pretty bad, but he did actually show some chops in the scene with Randall during the fight.

There's just a meta-feeling to this role. I'm not shocked he's kind of slagging off on the roles that made him famous because he's aiming for something more serious. Whether he actually manages to develop into something better remains to be seen.

I would agree. He's very very handsome, but not in a "serious authoritative way". He's aged well, but his type of handsome won't get him roles forever. They often say this about women but it applies to men sometimes too "when someone is pretty, they aren't expected or encouraged to be anything else, and when the beauty fades they have lost their power."

I do think Kevin was having that realization hence why he was so freaked out about his birthday- at 36, he's closer to 40 than he is to 30. The kind of roles that Kevin (and really, Justin) can land are going to start drying up up when he's on the other side of 40, which means they both kind of have to prove that they can do more than what they've given so far. (Cheesy sitcom for Kevin, Soap Hunk for Justin.)

Justin looks like he's gotten some work done (not much, but at least a little) and I would kind of love if they wrote in some of that for Kevin. It would be entirely realistic if Kevin did get plastic surgery, or at least some fillers.

• Love 3

I am happy that Justin landed this role. I have always really liked him since his days on "Passions". I think that Fox Crane was one of the few decent characters on that show. I also liked him as Oliver Queen on Smallville.

Prior to him landing this role I had actually wondered why his career hadn't fared a bit better. There are some other handsome actors from places like soaps/supporting roles on tv shows who landed leading roles in other tv shows/movies . IMO, some of them aren't much better actors than Justin and some are worse. But they got some good breaks and I was wondering if Justin would get one. I'm glad he got that with this show.  I think that the character of Kevin is a good and believable role for him. 

And on a side note he still looks really good. He's still very hunky and he's aging very well. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

There's just a meta-feeling to this role. I'm not shocked he's kind of slagging off on the roles that made him famous because he's aiming for something more serious. Whether he actually manages to develop into something better remains to be seen.

I do think Kevin was having that realization hence why he was so freaked out about his birthday- at 36, he's closer to 40 than he is to 30. The kind of roles that Kevin (and really, Justin) can land are going to start drying up up when he's on the other side of 40, which means they both kind of have to prove that they can do more than what they've given so far. (Cheesy sitcom for Kevin, Soap Hunk for Justin.)

Justin looks like he's gotten some work done (not much, but at least a little) and I would kind of love if they wrote in some of that for Kevin. It would be entirely realistic if Kevin did get plastic surgery, or at least some fillers.

See, that bugs me....why knock the shows that helped get you here to begin with? Why show anything other than gratitude for the opportunities? Especially when having to spend so much time away from your young daughter and then wife to focus on your acting career and try to make a name for yourself. Why go to YR if you only want to be considered an oh-so-serious actor? They treated him like a king there. He was even nominated for a Daytime Emmy. Pass up the minor role on Mistresses that will require you to remove your shirt. Don't pay so much attention to your physique if you don't want to be known for that and that alone. Remember how much smaller he was on Passions? He was still very fit and able to go shirtless, but he has paid a great deal of attention to it since then. He is bigger now than he was on Smallville. Actors are not guaranteed work at all, let alone the type of work they think they should have. I mean, join the club....lol.

Oh...forgot to ask...where do you think he has had work done? I don't see anything

• Love 2

I had not been exposed to him before so I wouldn't note any differences, but that picture looks either retouched in some ways or fantastic makeup or  . . . it's not natural to have no lines at all when nearing age 40.  Can I just say I would really hate to have my livelihood depend heavily on appearance.  So many downsides to that.

• Love 3

As someone who watched General Hospital for 22 years before finaly walking away for good back in Jan, and watched Days of our Lives and As the World Turns on and off during the same period, I have no problem with Hartley bashing his soap past.

There are some extremely talented actors in soaps, and at least speaking to GH there have been times when the show has been amazing.  But there is also some abysmal writing and some complete jokes actors in soaps and IMHO the worst of the worst for some odd reason have huge fanbases and the shows have prezetled themseves tp appease those terrible actors and their rapid fanbases.  

I didnt see any of Justin on Y&R, but if had to be frustrating to have to work with talentless hacks including Steve Burton and Eric Braeden.  

• Love 9

If he hated soaps so much, why go back to one? It's so tacky to bash them. They gave him his start, and he, imo, is not any better than many of the people on soaps. There are people on soaps and who were on soaps that I find much more talented. He sould be GRATEFUL for every show before this that gave him a chance but he chooses to talk crap about the instead because he thinks he is some kind of artiste. Yeah right!

I forgot to mention that it was maybe less than a year ago that he said YR was the best role he'd ever had and praised the writing. So he lies, but that is not surprising.

He probably did it for the same reason hundreds of millions around the world do their jobs: a steady paycheck.  

And actors, just like hundreds of millions of people in all different sectors always talk-up their current job and then bash it when theyve moved on to something else.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He probably did it for the same reason hundreds of millions around the world do their jobs: a steady paycheck.  

And actors, just like hundreds of millions of people in all different sectors always talk-up their current job and then bash it when theyve moved on to something else.

Actually, it's a huge business/employment etiquette faux-pas to bash past employers, no matter how terribly they treated you and how much you hated working for them. I haven't read what exactly Justin is currently saying about his soap past, but there are diplomatic ways to show his excitement about This Is Us without saying anything negative about his past shows. I hope he doesn't end up going the Katherine Heigl route.

• Love 5

Well it looks very yucky imo. He better hope he doesn't need a paycheck from a soap in the future. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Soaps are still airing, but the other shows he was on no longer are (which he also of course claimed were beneath him). Or if he moves on to something "bigger" than this show he will call this writing not up to his talent level.

• Love 1

I've read a bunch of his interviews but haven't seen him say anything at all negative about his soap past or Smallville or whatever. I think it's pretty fair of him to acknowledge that he feels this show is a bit deeper than those because it's really touching people emotionally (from the feedback he gets) and the stuff about it sometimes being a drag to have to take your shirt off or just be "the hot guy"--I'm sure that's how he has felt at times, but he hasn't whined about it. That I've seen--maybe I'm not seeing the same interviews. 

As far as why he doesn't have a better career by now/more work, I'd bet a lot of that is down to his agent/manager/behind the scenes stuff. One of my favorite actors from one of my favorite shows, Jamie Bamber from Battlestar Galactica, has had a pretty middling career since the show and he has some far less talented male costars that seem to pop up on every show ever. It's baffling to me, but maybe he's not great at auditions or his manager doesn't hustle him out there as much, or...well, who knows. A lot of big success is lucky breaks in addition to talent and hard work.

• Love 8

I'll have to find some interviews but to me it's what's implied in them, not that he flat out says they suck, etc. And the fact that all the interviews having to do with This Is Us seem to revolve around that topic.

Justin's actually gotten ALOT of pilots since leaving Passions. It was just a few years ago that he was cast as a male lead in an abc pilot called "Damaged Goods." So I think his agent has actually worked magic, I think. That and I think Justin has had so much time to put into his work because his ex-wife really held down the fort with their daughter.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:40 PM, taragel said:

One of my favorite actors from one of my favorite shows, Jamie Bamber from Battlestar Galactica, has had a pretty middling career since the show and he has some far less talented male costars that seem to pop up on every show ever

Ooo, I liked him too.  What has happened to to his career?

I loved Justin Hartley on Smallville so much I just couldn't watch the new Green Arrow.  The current guy felt so wrong.  And I wouldn't mind if Alison Mack showed up on This Is Us.  They had good chemistry and she's adorable.  

He reminds me of a young Rob Lowe in that he's a charming, lightweight actor who is slightly better than expected.  There's nothing wrong with being that sort of actor if you can get on a good show.  The only reason I decided to watch This Is Us is because he's in it.  I wanted to see him post Green Arrow.  

He's not rocking my world but I enjoy almost any scene he is in (other than the audition scene which felt really off.  His character wouldn't be quite so stupid).  

• Love 2

I think Justin provides a different energy for the show.  This Xmas episode highlighted what I like best about the Kevin episode. I like his confidence, his positivity, and his appreciation for other people's talents. He lightens up the show, which can get too heavy at times.

In terms of acting, I think Justin is very good at reacting, listening. He was really good at displaying his growing interest in Sloane's storytelling. He gave depth to his character without having to say anything.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I think Justin provides a different energy for the show.  This Xmas episode highlighted what I like best about the Kevin episode. I like his confidence, his positivity, and his appreciation for other people's talents. He lightens up the show, which can get too heavy at times.

THIS! He's very easy going. Sloane pulled a Toby and pretty much forced him to go to her family dinner, but he just took in stride and was a charming guest. He really balances out Randall's intensity and Kate's angst, and the show wouldn't be the same without him.

• Love 13
On 12/13/2016 at 1:35 AM, memememe76 said:

In terms of acting, I think Justin is very good at reacting, listening. He was really good at displaying his growing interest in Sloane's storytelling. He gave depth to his character without having to say anything.

I find that about him, too. Like the scene in the pilot when Kate hurt herself. And Thanksgiving when he looked at Miguel and decided to give him the hat.  I also noticed that in the after shows when his co-stars are speaking. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until now. 

• Love 3

Even if it's clichéd, I kind of like the idea of Kevin starting out as a simple, family-oriented, small-town (or suburban?) boy who marries his high school sweetheart, and then becoming a rich, playboy celebrity, before ultimately finding his way back to his roots. It's almost like he thought he needed to escape the small-town, family life and prove that he's meant for bigger things, but deep down, that life is what feels more natural/comfortable to him. It seems like he got lost along the way, but eventually his story will be about finding his way back to the type of guy he used to be. Or maybe I'm overthinking this? :p 

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 5

Well, he's not exactly going back to small-town life, being that he's living in NYC and so is his apparent childhood sweetheart. Still, it seems like the basic idea we're going to here...unless of course, Kevin's blinded by nostalgia and Sophie's no prize, either.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

When did Randall and Beth get married? Around the same time as Kevin and Sophie? Talk about competitive brothers. 

All they've established is that Randall & Beth met in college when Beth was a bohemian that didnt want kids, and Randall "ruined" that for her.

I feel like Kevin's storyline is turning into a Hallmark movie where he's the "lost" famous guy who finds redemption in trying to win back his childhood sweetheart. The only thing that's missing is them being from a small town.

I've liked Alexandra Breckenridge in most of the stuff I've seen her do (Gossip Girl, American Horror Story, and this ABC Family prequel to Romy and Michelle), so I'm actually kind of into this. I just wish she was a character that Kevin didn't have all this baggage with.

• Love 4

I was checking out Justin's Twitter feed. He gave thanks to people wishing him a happy birthday, and said, "I may be 40 but I play 36 on T.V. Haha."

That of course resulted in people assuring him that he still looks 25. LOL. I immediately thought of the pilot scene where Kevin's groupies are assuring him that he doesn't look 36.

Justin is so his character it's ridiculous.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

With flashbacks, we will likely see Kevin actually at his darkest. 

I like that Sophie never understand her dislike of Miguel. I am interested to see more of it.  I bet it is more than just him being married to his mom. 

• Love 1

Justin's and Kate's storylines have become increasingly less interesting with each episode, twists notwithstanding. At this stage, Kevin has become a less nuanced character that he was in episode 1.

• Love 1

Over in the media thread, someone posted this half-hour Justin interview:

At around the 12:00 mark, he talks about how he got into the show. He read the script, and he had a friend call him up and basically tell him that he thinks Dan Fogelman basically wrote him into the script.

• Love 2

Mr. I don't want to take my shirt off and just want to be known as a serious actor.......surely this will help in that dept.

Once again cast in something that should go to someone else for the simple fact that he has zero sex appeal.

But TIU is all hypey so I guess he must be cast!

A joke.

2 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

Mr. I don't want to take my shirt off and just want to be known as a serious actor.......surely this will help in that dept.

Once again cast in something that should go to someone else for the simple fact that he has zero sex appeal.

JMO, but I completely disagree with this assessment. I find him pretty darned sexy.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, lunaseas1122 said:

JMO, but I completely disagree with this assessment. I find him pretty darned sexy.

His gay kiss scene with Gabriel Mann was pretty darned hot.

But yeah, I guess his commitment to deeper roles only really extends to television. For movies, the shirt comes off!