Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
atomationage

Kate: Chrissy Metz

Chrissy's song from Breakthrough, written by Diane Warren, got an Oscar nomination.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7QyusNFtdc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Chrissy's song from Breakthrough, written by Diane Warren, got an Oscar nomination.

Updated to add, Chrissy also broke the news that she's recording an album.

• Like 2

Oscars: Elton John, Cynthia Erivo, Idina Menzel, Chrissy Metz and Randy Newman to Perform at Ceremony

All five of this year’s Oscar-nominated original songs will be performed during the awards telecast on Feb. 9, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on Thursday.

The performances will be:

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4”: Performed by Randy Newman; music and lyrics by Newman.

“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”: Performed by Elton John; music by John and lyrics by Bernie Taupin.

“I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough”: Performed by Chrissy Metz; music and lyrics by Diane Warren.

“Into the Unknown” from “Frozen 2”: Performed by Idina Menzel and Aurora; music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez.

“Stand Up” from “Harriet”: performed by Cynthia Erivo; music and lyrics by Joshuah Brian Campbell and Erivo.

• Useful 1

Okay, so I have this half-baked theory why we haven’t seen Kate at end-of-life for Rebecca, as we have seen Randall/Kevin. 
I do believe, as was alluded to in gossip about show early on that they originally wanted Chrissy to lose a lot of weight. Then, that could show she “healed”, if you will, from her trauma as a child, not only from her moms focus on weight, but from loss of her father as her biggest fan.  

How tragic would it be if her body finally looked like what her mom stressed about with her as a child, only for her mom not to know her when she saw her at end of life?  Obviously, the other answer is she didn’t lose the weight, but has a wonderful life  

I think her character  is not going to be  seen in flash forwards until it’s known  how to write the ending for her character based on where the actress might be. 

ETA:  I say this even though I cringe at times folks focusing/making fun of her weight. 

Edited by pennben
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, pennben said:

Okay, so I have this half-baked theory why we haven’t seen Kate at end-of-life for Rebecca, as we have seen Randall/Kevin. 
I do believe, as was alluded to in gossip about show early on that they originally wanted Chrissy to lose a lot of weight. Then, that could show she “healed”, if you will, from her trauma as a child, not only from her moms focus on weight, but from loss of her father as her biggest fan.  

How tragic would it be if her body finally looked like what her mom stressed about with her as a child, only for her mom not to know her when she saw her at end of life?  Obviously, the other answer is she didn’t lose the weight, but has a wonderful life  

I think her character  is not going to be  seen in flash forwards until it’s known  how to write the ending for her character based on where the actress might be. 

ETA:  I say this even though I cringe at times folks focusing/making fun of her weight. 

It wasn't just gossip - Chrissy publicly revealed that her contract included a provision about her losing weight over time.

I've always agreed with the theory that they aren't showing her in the future because they don't know what weight she'll be when the show ends.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I've always agreed with the theory that they aren't showing her in the future because they don't know what weight she'll be when the show ends.

I think so, too, though they are now getting closer to knowing, if the show is to conclude in two years (though that will be extended by the pandemic).  If she hasn't made headway in four years, it gets less likely to me that she will do much changing in the next couple.  Regardless, they still want us to wonder.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

It wasn't just gossip - Chrissy publicly revealed that her contract included a provision about her losing weight over time.

This sounds really terrible, but there is a part of me that thinks they aren't showing her in episodes in the far off future because her obesity could mean an early death for the actual actress (think John Candy).  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

This sounds really terrible, but there is a part of me that thinks they aren't showing her in episodes in the far off future because her obesity could mean an early death for the actual actress (think John Candy).  

I also think of Darlene Cates, who played the obese mom in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Gossip was the wrong word. I’m pretty sure Chrissy said that in an interview, but then backtracked later to say it wasn’t a contractual requirement, but rather just part of discussions she had with producers about what they projected her storyline to be. 

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, pennben said:

Gossip was the wrong word. I’m pretty sure Chrissy said that in an interview, but then backtracked later to say it wasn’t a contractual requirement, but rather just part of discussions she had with producers about what they projected her storyline to be. 

It's possible I'm being overly suspicious, but I think it really was mentioned in her contract. After Chrissy revealed that losing weight was in her contract, a lot of people got angry at the makers of the show, and I think she backtracked at their request.

I can't imagine they put anything enforceable about weight in her contract (like "she won't get paid unless she loses X pounds"). But it wouldn't surprise me at all if she agreed to make a "good faith effort" to lose weight, or something to that effect.

I just don't think she'd say it was in the contract if it actually wasn't. That would be a very odd thing to blurt out if it wasn't true.

• Like 1

I know this is a sensitive subject but she looks to me like she's gained a lot more weight. A lot more. I agree they might not be showing her because her weight is not stable and they don't know where she'll be toward the end of the series.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, Ohwell said:

I also think of Darlene Cates, who played the obese mom in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

If Chrissy lives as long as Darlene Cates did, she's got 30 years left. Someone her age and her size, who's healthy enough to film a TV series, is extremely unlikely to die within a few years.

I think any kind of early death for Kate, even if she dies of something completely unrelated to her weight (like dying while saving someone from a fire), would rub a lot of fans the wrong way. I think the writers want to avoid the whole "fat people have short, tragic lives" trope.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

If Chrissy lives as long as Darlene Cates did, she's got 30 years left. Someone her age and her size, who's healthy enough to film a TV series, is extremely unlikely to die within a few years.

I think any kind of early death for Kate, even if she dies of something completely unrelated to her weight (like dying while saving someone from a fire), would rub a lot of fans the wrong way. I think the writers want to avoid the whole "fat people have short, tragic lives" trope.

I know Darlene Cates died at 69.  I only referred to her because she was an obese actress like Chrissy.

I watched the movie “Breakthrough” this afternoon.  Metz was so good in it. Her singing voice is quite good.