Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

What's everyone think of this new aspect of Kate's job as mentor to her boss's daughter? I didn't even realize the daughter was supposed to be "fat," until the plot unfolded.  Realistically, I think a teenage girl who was a few pounds overweight and was suddenly pushed toward a 36 year-old, 300 lb woman as though they were just alike and she should identify, would have every right to run crying to her room screaming, "I don't look like her!"

Sure, but Gemma's still a bit on the bigger side for her height - especially in LA where Kate lives!

On 10/28/2016 at 0:22 PM, Fostersmom said:

The thing with the diet foods is most aren't all that good for you when you look at what your body's not getting or what has been substituted in and out. Remember the rice cake fad? Tasted like cardboard. Snackwells were a hot trend, they were not any better than a regular cookie. Eating 4 eggs and half a pack of bacon, another trend. Frozen yogurt is not any healthier than ice cream. I remember my grandma giving us Tab to drink, god only knows what was in that crap. I'd love to give up my diet Coke habit, but I'm addicted to the caffeine. 

I remember every one of those fads. It'll be interesting to see Kate's journey of diet fads through the decades! In the end I don't think anything matters but the calories. If you lose weight at 1200 calories a day, they can be any damn thing at all - 1200 of ice cream, 1200 of sugar, 1200 of bacon, doesn't matter. I'm also dubious about the current "information" that diet coke (or artificial sugar) causes a person to gain weight. Show me the proof, I say. (When you think about it, it's pretty sad that we don't know much more about weight loss now than we did when Kate was a child.)

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I appreciated a bit more backstory with the Kate/Rebecca dynamic, weight-wise. I liked that Rebecca just made a few totally human mistakes in her interactions with Kate, but they had these long-lasting repercussions. Nobody is perfect and everyone has their own perspective on it. It is kind of scary, though, that small comments can mean so much to kids. I better watch what I say to my son ;)

I think Rebecca was honestly doing what she thought was in Kate's best interest.  I was a chubby kid and I remember being on a "diet" and my Mom weighing me once a week to see if I had made progress.  In hindsight, it sounds like a bad idea, but I don't hold any ill-will against my Mom for doing it.

What I liked about last  night's episode was, even though her weight was still a part of her scenes, there was more there.  We got to see that Kate is quite good at fundraising and event planning.  She really came out of her shell in those scenes with her boss and on the phone with clients.  I'd like to see more of that strong, confident Kate.

• Love 7

I'm on a fat loss/improve my health journey and my coach stresses that it's about what you put in your body. He advocates NO processed foods. He believes in fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins. He cooked for me for about a month and the meals were DELICIOUS. I wish the show would deal with eating healthy and showing that healthy foods, prepared in a healthy manner can taste good.

• Love 10

This topic is so interesting; thanks to all of you who are sharing your stories.

I'm overweight, and I've noticed even people who are overweight can be judgemental of others who weigh more ("at least I'm not that fat!"), even if they don't say it out loud. It's frustrating when your weight becomes a symbol of a character flaw - you're greedy, you eat disgusting food, you're lazy, you have no self control.

If losing weight was easy, everyone would be thin. No one WANTS to be fat. But you can't let it run your life.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

If losing weight was easy, everyone would be thin. No one WANTS to be fat. But you can't let it run your life.

Exactly, that's what I always say, and taking it a step further, if talking about it, reading and hearing about it did much to help, there wouldn't be much problem, either.  So better to get on with it, and live life.  That's why I liked seeing Kate take on the new job, very competently and confidently, without weight being an issue except in having to deal with the boss' teen daughter.  I'd like to see more of that and less of her and Toby.

• Love 5

I was a chubby kid - my mom did not put me on any diet, though. She wanted to me to play sports so I ended up doing tracks, aerobics, and dance (of all things). I could never be skinny - big boned as well but most people think I carry my weight well. Kate is extremely overweight, though. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Exactly, that's what I always say, and taking it a step further, if talking about it, reading and hearing about it did much to help, there wouldn't be much problem, either.  So better to get on with it, and live life.  That's why I liked seeing Kate take on the new job, very competently and confidently, without weight being an issue except in having to deal with the boss' teen daughter.  I'd like to see more of that and less of her and Toby.

Reminds me of this great essay Cassie St. Onge posted earlier this year where she theorized that if Oprah, with all her smarts, business savvy, immense wealth, connections, etc. has been struggling with her weight all her life--maybe that should prove to us that weight loss isn't necessarily a solvable issue.

Kate's line in the pilot to her brother ("Just tell me to lose the weight.")  really kind of reduces the situation to something that seems easily solvable, but....not so much. They've been pretty sensitive overall with the way they handle the weight (even if they do prioritize it to an annoying degree sometimes--but that idea that if you just tried harder (like she probably hasn't been trying all her life) is so silly.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, taragel said:

Reminds me of this great essay Cassie St. Onge posted earlier this year where she theorized that if Oprah, with all her smarts, business savvy, immense wealth, connections, etc. has been struggling with her weight all her life--maybe that should prove to us that weight loss isn't necessarily a solvable issue.

Kate's line in the pilot to her brother ("Just tell me to lose the weight.")  really kind of reduces the situation to something that seems easily solvable, but....not so much. They've been pretty sensitive overall with the way they handle the weight (even if they do prioritize it to an annoying degree sometimes--but that idea that if you just tried harder (like she probably hasn't been trying all her life) is so silly.

Weight loss is almost always a solvable issue, though. At least, one can be "small" enough that it has no or few adverse effects on one's health. It is true that Kate (like many obese people) may be trying very hard to lose weight, but sometimes you have to try smarter, not harder. A bit of professional help can make a big difference (mostly a dietician, but perhaps also a personal trainer).

• Love 2

There was just an article in the NY Times about obesity and how it is really absurd that such a serious medical issue is relegated basically to do-it-yourself.  We don't ask diabetics or cancer patients to treat themselves.   And that many doctors are absolutely clueless, anyway.  It made the point that when so many people have tried multiple times, on multiple diets, and keep trying through years of failure, that it is something that needs more than diet and exercise.  It goes on to share one doctor's opinion that the weight loss surgery many avoid is actually the best bet, and safer than most people think.  I don't think I'm totally on board with that, and it isn't even recommended for people who are less than 100 pounds overweight, so it leaves a lot of people out to begin with.  But at least it was a recognition that trying hard, or smart, isn't working for many.  I'll try to link to it later.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Weight loss is almost always a solvable issue, though. At least, one can be "small" enough that it has no or few adverse effects on one's health. It is true that Kate (like many obese people) may be trying very hard to lose weight, but sometimes you have to try smarter, not harder. A bit of professional help can make a big difference (mostly a dietician, but perhaps also a personal trainer).

Solvable to me means permanent, and less than 1% of people are able to sustain permanent weight loss. I think it's fair enough to present that weight is always going to be a struggle/a work in progress, especially for someone Kate's size -- not something she's just suddenly deciding now she's going to "get serious about and lose that weight" as if that never occurred to her before or she hasn't tried to lose previously. I imagine after growing up under Rebecca's vigilance, when Kate went away to college she probably indulged in some freedom and put on a good amount of weight then.  And the more you have to lose, the harder the prospect of losing is.

As someone who's had gastric bypass (and is still struggling to lose), I'd love for them to explore that for the character and demystify the process. My surgery was easy peasy and thankfully I had no side effects (other than the ones you go through adjusting to your new stomach size, learning to chew more, eat slower, etc.). But it's also not a magic wand, and I'd like them to show that side of it too.

• Love 8
On November 2, 2016 at 10:01 AM, random chance said:

I remember every one of those fads. It'll be interesting to see Kate's journey of diet fads through the decades! In the end I don't think anything matters but the calories. If you lose weight at 1200 calories a day, they can be any damn thing at all - 1200 of ice cream, 1200 of sugar, 1200 of bacon, doesn't matter. I'm also dubious about the current "information" that diet coke (or artificial sugar) causes a person to gain weight. Show me the proof, I say. (When you think about it, it's pretty sad that we don't know much more about weight loss now than we did when Kate was a child.)

I keep reading the new theory that diet soft drinks can cause weight gain instead of loss and make you crave sugar too. I don't know how much of it I believe, but I do know all the fake crap in them are horrible for me, but at this point I'm just not ready to cut the caffeine cord. I can't stand coffee or any version of tea to find a substitute. I have tried to wean myself off, I cutting down to basically 1 Diet Coke a day and I can usually get thru the day without a second one. At this point, it's like telling someone they can't have coffee anymore. The calorie is a calorie is so true though. Sure, the foods you chose to get those calories from can have their own health issues, but the calories themselves are the same. 

On November 3, 2016 at 0:22 AM, MaryMitch said:

I'm overweight, and I've noticed even people who are overweight can be judgemental of others who weigh more ("at least I'm not that fat!"), even if they don't say it out loud. It's frustrating when your weight becomes a symbol of a character flaw - you're greedy, you eat disgusting food, you're lazy, you have no self control.

I have to admit, I'm guilty of this. I used to manage stores, and at the last one, I hired an employee who was also a large girl, larger than me and I was about 280 at that point. And I fully judged what she ate. Her standard lunch was 2 20oz. bottles of regular pop, 2 candy bars, and a bag of chips. Pretty much every day. And if that was what she was willing to eat in front of others, you know she was eating much worse in private, and I fully speak of experience on that one. My lunch wasn't usually upper healthy, but mostly consisted of actual food. I had my fair share of candy bars or chips, but didn't treat them as a standard meal. She got herself a gastric bypass pretty much the first day her health insurance would cover it, lost some weight, but within the first month of coming back to work, she was eating the same exact crap. She managed to time the surgery so she was gone all of November and December as an assistant manger in RETAIL, fucking the whole staff over. If the DM could have fired her for it, he would have, he was so pissed. She turned out to be a lazy thieving addict who continuously stole from the store and cashiers on the regular. Worst hire ever. It shouldn't surprise anyone that last time I heard, she's still over 200 pounds, regaining some of what she had lost, and still eats mostly crap. 

I wanted to give a slight update on myself. I had a drs appointment this morning, the same doctor I spoke about before. In her defense, she didn't know how big I used to be. I didn't have a doctor when I was 330 and the last dr I saw before her never saw me when I was more than 285ish. It's the same medical system but I highly doubt she looked at all the old records, they were so outdated they weren't super helpful. Along with the weight and MS, I'm also diabetic and basically ignored it for a couple of years even though I knew. I half assed tried to take care of myself in 2103 for about a year, and then ignored it until I went to this dr back in late May. I had ROUGH August, diet and other wise, trying to take care of too many health problems at once were just too much, and then I got food poisoning on top of that, so the appointment I had in September was a total bust. I saw her this morning, she liked my blood pressure for a change (It would really help if drs told people to take their blood pressure medicine in the morning! I didn't know you were supposed to until she told me at the last appointment.), and was happy I had maintained the weight loss. She said, you're still down 8 pound from the first time I saw you, that's good, and that's when I told her it was really 90 pounds. She was SHOCKED! She asked me how I did it, was it a bypass? Nope, just made some changes. Had I tried some of those crazy drugs you can buy from the cardboard displayers by the pharmacy? Oh god no, that shit is death in a bottle! She then whipped out a sheet of stickers and told me that I could pick a sticker for making healthy lifestyle choices! LOL! A) I love my doctor has stickers for her adult patients, and B) fuck yeah I wore that damn sticker on my sweater all day long! It's a smiley face snow flake.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

She then whipped out a sheet of stickers and told me that I could pick a sticker for making healthy lifestyle choices! LOL! A) I love my doctor has stickers for her adult patients, and B) fuck yeah I wore that damn sticker on my sweater all day long! It's a smiley face snow flake.

Well that is too cool, how wonderful of her! And of you for taking one! Stickers work just fine for adults because as it happens, we don't stop enjoying a hat tip just because we're grownups. (Exhibit A: the Like button.)

• Love 7

Here's the bummer part of this thread.  We're only talking about Kate's weight.  Is that the fault of the writers not giving her character more backstory?  Is she just a one issue character?   Of course Beth hasn't had much development either.  

I would like to see Kate develop her resume more and get a better job that did not involve her weight.  Or performing.  I'm still a bit annoyed that she sings.  That feels like such a trope to me.  The shy, wallflower sister who breaks out in song!  Sigh.   Couldn't she be really good at ...marketing?  Being someone else's publicist or personal assistant since she did it so well for her brother?  

• Love 2

Not yet, although it sounds like she is mentoring a heavier child which implies she was hired because of her size.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I'll have to watch it and then comment to be fair.  I'm clearly just annoyed that all the writing other than Game Plan has focused on her weight.  

Edited by jeansheridan

Kate is so much more interesting with no Toby!  Yes, this was refreshing although I cannot imagine ANY child being so overtly rude at a first meeting.  And once again we have a mother who does nothing to reprimand her daughter.  

But a much better Kate episode.  I'm glad she tossed that brat out of her car.  

And I know this show can't help itself (I'm beginning to realize they have the Dawson Creek's problem of everyone being hyper-talkative) but Kate's little speech to the girl was of course a bit much.  Gah.  That should have happened in a few more episodes.  

• Love 1
On 9/30/2016 at 9:54 AM, romantic idiot said:

On a different note, can I just say, how gorgeous the actress, and thus Kate is? She's got such a lovely face, her eyebrows, her mouth. I think she's more beautiful than Piper Paribo (sp?) up on Notorious. Just beautiful. 

She is beautiful. Her face and smile are absolutely gorgeous. 

I love Randall and his family, but I'm equally interested in Kate. I want to know her story.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2016 at 0:49 PM, jeansheridan said:

Here's the bummer part of this thread.  We're only talking about Kate's weight.  

If it makes you feel better, there's a 2-page article about her in last week's People magazine and it too mostly just talked about her weight struggles.  

On 11/6/2016 at 2:49 PM, jeansheridan said:

Here's the bummer part of this thread.  We're only talking about Kate's weight.  Is that the fault of the writers not giving her character more backstory?  Is she just a one issue character?   Of course Beth hasn't had much development either.  

I would like to see Kate develop her resume more and get a better job that did not involve her weight.  Or performing.  I'm still a bit annoyed that she sings.  That feels like such a trope to me.  The shy, wallflower sister who breaks out in song!  Sigh.   Couldn't she be really good at ...marketing?  Being someone else's publicist or personal assistant since she did it so well for her brother?  

I just finished up the fourth episode (watching it on demand) and I feel that while a lot of time is spent on Kate's weight, I'm not bored with it (at least not yet).  And to be fair, Kevin hasn't gotten any more of a story line than Kate, at least not from the episodes I've seen so far. Both of them have story lines that develop around their underlying issues: need for approval/weight. With Randall, we get a whole lot more: race, being adopted, biological parent, "being good" vice, family life with wife and kids. But the show is young yet and I'm still in. 

• Love 1

In the Career Day episode thread, possibilities was debunking some myths about obesity.  I just wanted to add that lately it seems BMI is going by the wayside as a measure of health, now it's all about the waist circumference.  And that will be replaced by something else, I am sure.  All of these ways of measuring health have problems.  There are so many factors, and individual variations.  I know several very big people who lived to a ripe old age, also some very fit (like marathon running fit) people who did not make it to 40.  We probably all can think of examples.  Cancer strikes, heart arrhythmias drop people, car accidents, etc.  With the Kate character, I bet they will be avoiding medical drama (I hope) and instead show the other tribulations of being noticeably overweight, and how she handles them.

• Love 3

We've all heard that story (whether true or not) of the fanaticically fit person who comes down with cancer and has eaten so healthy that chemo would kill them so they are given unhealthy food so they can actually handle the chemo therapy.

i was always told everything in moderation.  Even the healthiest food will kill you if  you eat too much of it and eating a bag of photo chips once in awhile isn't the end of the world.

i think the problem is Kate is being fanatical about her diet which is why she isn't losing weight.  It will actually be interesting if the show does follow through and finds a healthy way to have Kate and to an extent Chrissy Metz lose weight. 

• Love 1

Isn't body fat percentage and waist-to-hip ratio a better measurement than even waist circumference?  I'm short (~5'2"), so proportionately, my maximum should be lower than someone who is 6' tall.  And one could have a good waist circumference, yet have high body fat content, which isn't good (i.e. someone who is "skinny fat").

• Love 3

I think the metric is that waist circumference should be no more than half of height.  I guess it depends on what exactly one wants to measure?  Specific disease risk?  Longevity?  I was just reading that a good predictor of longevity in elderly people is muscle mass   I also just read one study where large hip measurements in women are associated with less bad health outcomes than large waist measurements (good news for me).  All of these are associations, not cause and effect.  So I guess we can pick and choose studies til the cows come home (no pun intended), but I think as Chaos Theory suggested above, moderation can be our friend. 

• Love 2

Whether a person's BMI is high because of muscle mass or because of excess fat, a high BMI is an indicator of greater risk of stress to the heart and other organs. Pumping blood through a larger body is tough business. Although as a trainer, I hate BMI. It is a very sucky marker of physical fitness and progress. Body fat percentage is generally a better indicator of health (and yes, that can definitely be too low and cause all kinds of heck).

It really struck me in last nite's episode that Chrissy Metz carries almost all her excess weight in her mid section. Her legs are actually pretty shapely, and her arms are large but not inordinately so. Her bulk is really all from neck to knees.

The teen actress hired to play her at 15 isn't at all fat, but she looks so much like Metz that it was crazy. Great casting.

• Love 7

Yes, I noticed Chrissy's weight distribution in the first episode when she was on the scale, even her rear was still small.  She didn't look at all the way I do, even though I'm very overweight right now I still have an hourglass shape -- a really, really big hour glass, maybe a "month" glass.  My arms and legs are bigger than hers too, even though I probably weigh about half.  Dr. Oz is all about how much "belly fat," we carry and it does make me worry about Chrissy's health more than if her weight was all over.

• Love 6

Surgery carries a lot of risks and is not an easy fix. You still have to have a very strict diet and be careful. It's successful at first but many regain the weight.

Also, the actress herself likely doesn't want surgery.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2016 at 3:36 PM, PRgal said:

Isn't body fat percentage and waist-to-hip ratio a better measurement than even waist circumference?  I'm short (~5'2"), so proportionately, my maximum should be lower than someone who is 6' tall.  And one could have a good waist circumference, yet have high body fat content, which isn't good (i.e. someone who is "skinny fat").

On 11/15/2016 at 5:46 PM, ClareWalks said:

Whether a person's BMI is high because of muscle mass or because of excess fat, a high BMI is an indicator of greater risk of stress to the heart and other organs. Pumping blood through a larger body is tough business. Although as a trainer, I hate BMI. It is a very sucky marker of physical fitness and progress. Body fat percentage is generally a better indicator of health (and yes, that can definitely be too low and cause all kinds of heck).

Both of these!  I have 7% body fat, but according to the BMI scale I'm morbidly obese because of my weight and height.  

I actually had to have two independent doctors do full physicals including bloodwork and submit them to my employer's health insurer to prove I'm not morbidly obese.  

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

I have 7% body fat, but according to the BMI scale I'm morbidly obese because of my weight and height.

Wow, just see how different we all are. I'm the other extreme.  I used to complain, long ago, to my coworkers about being fat.  They would scoff because I only weighed about 110 at the time.  BMI charts would have called me underweight.  Then we all went to a fitness seminar together and I proved to be the "fattest," of all of us, with a high body fat measurement. I was told I needed to weigh 102 to achieve a normal body fat of 21.

I think this confusion, this not even knowing just what we should weigh, is one of the things that starts us off as young teens on a path of worrying about our weight and yoyo-ing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Wow, just see how different we all are. I'm the other extreme.  I used to complain, long ago, to my coworkers about being fat.  They would scoff because I only weighed about 110 at the time.  BMI charts would have called me underweight.  Then we all went to a fitness seminar together and I proved to be the "fattest," of all of us, with a high body fat measurement. I was told I needed to weigh 102 to achieve a normal body fat of 21.

I think this confusion, this not even knowing just what we should weigh, is one of the things that starts us off as young teens on a path of worrying about our weight and yoyo-ing.

I get that too.  I don't have a high body fat percentage - it's at around 22% which is on the low side for a 37 year old female - but I work out all the time.  But EVERYONE, including doctors, think I'm underweight for my height!  You must be small-framed with light bones.  We're at a higher risk for osteoporosis.

As for @tiger, based on your body fat percentage, I assume you're a guy?  Because even the most athletic/muscular women have percentages in the teens. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

This is interesting. I definitely wish her the best and hope she is successful in losing weight. She refers to this as a "win-win" in the article and maybe it will help motivate her to lose weight. 

Hopefully there are people at the show who are encouraging her/trying to help her in her  weight loss journey. The cast seems like they get along well and I believe they will support her.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I am glad to hear that she was thrilled to get that in her contract. There have been a lot of studies about motivation to lose weight, and actually money is a really effective one. I had a system back when I was getting into really good shape in 2012 where I could "earn money" towards a new treadmill if I hit various milestones in my training (example: a new half-marathon PR was worth $100 toward my treadmill, every 50 miles of training got me $25, etc). It definitely helped. If Chrissy had been upset by that contract stipulation, that would suck, but the fact that she's happy about it makes it a real win-win.

• Love 3

I have extremely mixed feelings on that being in her contract. I guess if she's happy with it that's all that matters.  I just question its enforceability on a legal and practical level. Let's all imagine the backlash NBC would face if say next year or the year after they try to fire her for  being too fat. 

I guess if it had to be handled contractually, I'd rather have seen a bonus system for weight targets with an understanding that the creative folks might have to adjust the story to parallel wherever the actress is at in a given time if she's not hitting targets  

Tying weight to a contract can lead to terrible results (eg models/anorexia, etc). 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5

Hmmm.....not sure what to say about this. I can't imagine the pressure of having to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time. There's already pressure when it doesn't have to do with your job and keeping a role when roles are so hard to come by. And then of course your screen partner not having to do that, maybe just removing padding when it's time to drop some weight.  

• Love 5

I think, with all the competition for good parts in a regular  TV series, lots of actors would have been willing to do this.  Since the role, as already written, is all about a woman losing a life changing amount of weight, I think it was perfectly fair to state that up front and then find an actress who was happy with that requirement.  If Chrissy hadn't liked the conditions for the role, she could have turned it down.  Hundreds of other women probably would have jumped at the chance. I would love to have an incentive like that.

• Love 6

I just would be curious to see how it's wtitten. Are there cash incentives, I mean it seems extremely unlikely that they would fire her and recast for failing to make benchmark goals because the backlash to that would be swift and intense. 

Also, are they providing her with financial support to accomplish these goals, etc. 

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

.  Since the role, as already written, is all about a woman losing a life changing amount of weight, I think it was perfectly fair to state that up front and then find an actress who was happy with that requirement.  

I don't see that that is how the character of Kate has already been written. I see her character as someone who doesn't like being the weight she is and struggling and trying to lose weight but more often than not that doesn't result in life changing weight losses in real life. It can but it's a life long process filed with ups and downs (figuratively and literally).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don't like this at all. It is one thing for the show to encourage Chrissy to lose weight, but to make it a contractual is weak and turns me off. If she does not lose the weight at the show's pace, will she be fired? What happens if she is unable to lose the weight dieting, undergoes weight loss surgery and has complications? Also, this means that Kate's story is always going to be about her weight loss. What a bore.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

Not saying this is the case, but since I doubt she would say anything other than what she said here, I hope she isn't actually feeling scared, anxious, etc. over it after only agreeing to do this in order to not pass up what many would consider to be a once in a lifetime opportunity to be on the show. Hopefully it would not taint the experience.

Ok, that's a REALLY long sentence in my post haha.

• Love 5

She says in the article that they've talked about taking her character in other directions from the weight story, so I think that's positive.

As for the contract, if she's okay with it, I'm okay with it. At least I'm guessing this means the show is being supportive.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, photo fox said:

She says in the article that they've talked about taking her character in other directions from the weight story, so I think that's positive.

As for the contract, if she's okay with it, I'm okay with it. At least I'm guessing this means the show is being supportive.

I guess I have heard too many people say they are fine with a certain set of circumstances that allowed them to achieve their dreams only to later be honest about how awful and destructive it was to completely buy what she is saying.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

Man, I am actually sitting here getting anxious just THINKING about it, and it has nothing to do with me! I mean, what is going to happen if she is approaching a point in the show where she needs to be a certain weight and it's just not happening fast enough? What would happen in this case and how would that effect the writing and path of the character.....

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I have heard too many people say they are fine with a certain set of circumstances that allowed them to achieve their dreams only to later be honest about how awful and destructive it was to completely buy what she is saying.

Exactly, what else is she going to say? Not only this, I suspect that she would have agreed to anything to get this role which is her big break, especially for an actress her size in Hollywood. Also, if she did not agree to the weight loss clause, they likely would not have hired her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I kind of wonder if 15-year old Kate is thinner for a reason- maybe she engaged in some eating disorder and was able to maintain a more normal weight that way? (Anne from Heart basically admitted that she starved herself during the 70's and early 80's and then piled on the weight as soon as she stopped.) I remember a plot from Rescue Me about a woman who was on the fat side, and it turned out that she was bulimic in order to avoid being morbidly obese.

Teen Kate is a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That made me smile. Also just the fact that she really does look a lot like she could be Metz in an earlier period of her life, moreso than the 8-year old version.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1