Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E06: Week 4

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, movement said:

The bolded may be correct.  But you can't be sure because there's been several celebs who had ballroom pros and  we've said they would've done better if they had had so 'n so.  We really don't know what Babyface learned.  But we do know the last choreography was too much for him. 

I think my personal issue with her is that she can teach her partner to mimic her to an extent, but can't really teach what a man's job is supposed to be in ballroom.

If that makes sense.

• Love 4

Since the comment was not intended for Amber's ears, Julianne really came off badly to me, much like a mean girl talking smack with a buddy about an unpopular girl. An apology from Julianne would have gone a long way to neutralize or, perhaps, sway some who are not inclined to like her. People who already like her or possibly her brother (since, I think I read a headline where he chimed in on her defense) are gonna be on her side anyway.

Julianne did apologize to her.  We didn't see it Monday night because it happened after they went to commercial, but they showed the clip Tuesday night.

And the comment came when all the judges were commenting during the dance, which they do during every dance.  And during this dance, most of the comments were unfavorable.  Right after Julianne said she was uncomfortable, Bruno said he was uncomfortable too, but he was not called out on it.

It's not about taking sides, it is about perception.  Different people perceive things differently.

I think my personal issue with her is that she can teach her partner to mimic her to an extent, but can't really teach what a man's job is supposed to be in ballroom.

I think this says a lot about what is happening with Allison.  She choreographs to showcase herself more than her partner, but she also does not teach him his proper role in the dance, because it is less important to her.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CED9 said:

If that makes sense.

It does, which is why I've always said that the celebs should get at least one lesson from a pro of the same sex to help them understand the attitude and the sense of that celeb's part in the dance.  When Melissa Joan Hart did the show a few years ago, she was having trouble connecting to her part in the Tango until Anna came in to help teach her.  She said afterwards that working with Anna really helped her understand the Tango from the woman's point of view.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CED9 said:

If that makes sense.

Most of the pros have problems relaying the art side for their celeb.  It seems like in the earlier seasons, they would bring a female pro in to help the female celeb and vice versa?   Maybe it was just an experiment. 

Of course if the female pro is not ballroom (Allison), she will have a harder time choreographing for a beginner and teaching him the nuances involved because she hadn't spent years in the ballroom environment.  Experience in anything is always desired.  The male celeb part could become boring and repetitive when the stabilizing parts are used for most of the dance, like Edyta use to do.   And the female pro would still end up back leading.   Allison can't do this.  I think that's why the male celebs won more in the earlier seasons--the female pros could back lead and do the flourishing parts; the male pros could lead but they couldn't make the female celebs look beautiful if they weren't; and if they overdanced, it spotlighted the male instead of the female role.  Then, TPTB really relaxed the requirements and the female ringers started winning the MBT. 

I wish TPTB would bring on more pro competition ballroom dancers as well.  More dancers like Louis and Karina.  But it looks like they've settled on entertaining and variety as the priority instead of the celeb's progression in ballroom technique.  Afterall, Nyle won last season and he never corrected his posture/frame.

• Love 2

The thing that struck me about Allison and Babyface's mess of a dance was that she just kept yelling "you got this"! Other pros would have been counting or telling him what movement he needed to be doing. He didn't need a cheerleader in those moments, he needed help.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DancingD said:

The thing that struck me about Allison and Babyface's mess of a dance was that she just kept yelling "you got this"! Other pros would have been counting or telling him what movement he needed to be doing. He didn't need a cheerleader in those moments, he needed help.

OK.  I really don't remember the others counting during this kind of time?  But I know the female pros would backlead and the male pros would drag their partners around until they caught up.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but as much as I love Laurie and she DID do a great job with the performance, to me non MJ "The Way You Make Me Feel" is forever Center Stage. I kept going back to that choreo in my mind all through the dance lol

• Love 1