Type keyword(s) to search

Fleabag - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, Pamela said:

Absolutely brilliant. I loved the second season even more than the first, and I wasn't sure that was possible. What an immense talent Phoebe Waller-Bridge is. Fleabag AND Killing Eve? I mean, come on.

It pains me to say it but you can kind of tell she’s stepped away from Killing Eve a bit in season 2. 

She also has a slightly older show called Crashing, available on Netflix now. (Just a single series.)

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, OldButHappy said:

Wow...just found this show...am bingeing....will read comments later....just, wow.......(I had never even heard of this show before yesterday)...starting season 2....

When I found the first season thanks to my Olivia Coleman obsession I had the exact reaction. The weird alchemy of a very likeable person doing horrible things. And why is she so likeable? Why do I care about her? I think it is because Fleabag is ultimately honest and owns her actions, the good and bad. And Coleman is soooo horrible but in a real way. And it's all from Phoebe's busy head. 

Edited by jeansheridan
Spelling
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, kieyra said:

It pains me to say it but you can kind of tell she’s stepped away from Killing Eve a bit in season 2.

If she did it to make season 2 of Fleabag better, I have no issue. Killing Eve had its moments but when Eve kept doing too many dumb things to live, I couldn't make the logic leap. It's another case of the villain being so much cooler than the lead. On Fleabag she wisely limits Coleman's time even in series 2 when it might have been tempting to expand her role.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jeansheridan said:

The weird alchemy of a very likeable person doing horrible things. And why is she so likeable? Why do I care about her? I think it is because Fleabag is ultimately honest and owns her actions, the good and bad.

Exactly.  I thought that Fleabag works for me where Girls and Divorce do not. Even though Fleabag's character flaws had much more disastrous consequences, they were much more relateable than anything written into the HBO shows. I had empathy for our unlikely heroine, without any of the ick factor that I get from Girl's Hannah or the I'm-so-lovably-quirky shtick of Divorces's SJP.  Dark comedy is a real tightrope for writers, and, for me, this show hits it out of the park.

The family dynamic was so relatable for me - not the specific family circumstances (death of one parent and dealing with a stepmom), but the emotional tone of their interactions was very realistic for me.  Especially the sister to sister relationship.  I've not spoken with my sister for 5 years, and this was literally, the first time that I've missed her and considered picking up the phone.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, OldButHappy said:

Exactly.  I thought that Fleabag works for me where Girls and Divorce do not. Even though Fleabag's character flaws had much more disastrous consequences, they were much more relateable than anything written into the HBO shows. I had empathy for our unlikely heroine, without any of the ick factor that I get from Girl's Hannah or the I'm-so-lovably-quirky shtick of Divorces's SJP.  Dark comedy is a real tightrope for writers, and, for me, this show hits it out of the park.

The family dynamic was so relatable for me - not the specific family circumstances (death of one parent and dealing with a stepmom), but the emotional tone of their interactions was very realistic for me.  Especially the sister to sister relationship.  I've not spoken with my sister for 5 years, and this was literally, the first time that I've missed her and considered picking up the phone.

For me the stepmom character was brilliant. She was a monster but not in the way you would expect. The deceased mother also probably was a piece of work picking her for a Godmother.

• Love 9

Oh my. I binged this on the train from WDC to Boston and cannot believe how brilliant and beautiful this season was. And The Preist! Their connection was electrifying. I cannot believe how talented PWB is.  

• Love 13
(edited)

I loved this second season just as much - if not more - than the first. Andrew Scott was a brilliant addition, and Kristen Scott Thomas was a gem. The editing, the cutaways, the timing, and of course just the writing itself...PWB is a genius. 

I was so mad at the Priest after the fourth episode. He really presses Fleabag (I mean, he was gentle but he did push) to tell him about herself, what was wrong, etc. She makes herself vulnerable to him and he does what he said he wouldn't do, and kisses her. Don't get me wrong, it was hot, but I was annoyed until I watched the next episode.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:44 PM, SHD said:

Also, one of the best lines was when the priest revealed that his brother was a pedophile and, when a silence fell over the table, he said “I’m aware of the irony.”

Andrew Scott has said in an interview that Olivia Coleman didn't know that line was coming as PWB had whispered it in his ear before they shot the take. The official account has shared that video, it's a fun one-on-one with him.

I loved the cut from the Priest asking about the cafe and saying "What..." and they cut to him holding Hilary and him saying "the FUCK!?"

Also, his arms (wow).

I'm sad there won't be more.

Edited by mledawn
Added the link to Andrew Scott's interview video
  • Love 8

I'd never heard of it say 6 months ago.

Certainly not when the first season aired.

Think maybe it's getting renewed buzz because of the creator's involvement with Killing Eve Season 1?

• Love 1

PWB’s profile has certainly risen in the last few years, but the first season was critically acclaimed, and I watched it because I heard about it on TV podcasts (I miss the days when people like Sepinwall did podcasts), and because Amazon Prime Video put it front and center on my screen. 

I think Fleabag probably helped her get the reins of Killing Eve, if anything. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I have been hearing about the show since it started but based on clips feared it fell into too much of that “cringe” category that I can never get through so didn’t watch/forgot to watch but my twitter feed has been all Fleabag praise so finally succumbed and watched the two seasons in the last two days. In absolute delight! In a way I am glad I put it off so I didn’t have to wait so long to watch season 2!

etb; I misread!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

Yippee!  Johnny-Come-Lately...not to Fleabag but I had no idea the forum was here.  Sadly, there are surprise spoilers, so I'll come back when I've finished the season.

• Love 3

I nominated Fleabag for a few Tubeys (or whatever they are here). I saw someone else nom'd Godmother, and I thought I might nom the Hot Priest but is he a secondary character? I guess they all are when compared to Fleabag herself?

• Love 2

Amazingly, the second season was even more brilliant than the first! I think the reason I find Fleabag so likable, despite her many flaws, is that there is a self awareness to her that I appreciate, and that she rarely makes excuses for her bad choices, and this season we did see her trying to improve and be a better, more caring person. What a unique, funny, memorable show this is, and while I wish that this wasnt the end of the show, it ended on a perfect note. 

The family dynamics are so weirdly relatable, even though their family and their damage are so specific, just the general vibe seems to be so real. Fleabag, her father, and her sister can often barley stand to be around each other, and will even admit that they dont like each others personalities all of the time, but there is still an undercurrent of love there, and a long and complicated history which keeps them entangled with each other. Godmother is such a specific but recognizable kind of awful as well, so surgery sweet in her asshole-ness, especially compared to the more in your face dysfunction of Fleabag. I especially loved her introducing her deaf, lesbian, and bisexual refugee "friends" that she shows off like collectibles of her own kindness and openness at the wedding. God that is the WORST and I think everyone knows someone a bit like that, even if its less obvious. 

Andrew Scott was a brilliant addition to the show, I loved his give and take with Fleabag, and I really did feel their connection, and their mutual sadness that it wasnt going to work out. I dont know why, but the Priest being stalked by foxes throughout his life just cracked me up. "He went that way." I especially love that the Priest is the only person who can see Fleabag breaking the fourth wall and reacts to it, it really emphasizes the unique connection that they have. 

So what does the ending mean? Does the fox mean that Fleabag and the Priest are not really over, or that they are? Or just a call back? Will Claire and Klare end up together now that she is leaving her awful husband? Was Fleabag waving goodbye to the audience as she walks away from "us" a goodbye to us as the show is leaving? That she is going to focus more on her actual life and not the people she talks to who can never answer back? I dont know, but whatever it was, I am so happy to have been along for the ride. 

• Love 21
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

that Fleabag and the Priest are not really over, or that they are? Or just a call back? Will Claire and Klare end up together now that she is leaving her awful husband? Was Fleabag waving goodbye to the audience as she walks away from "us" a goodbye to us as the show is leaving

I read one critic who suggested that Fleabag is always looking at Boo when she breaks the fourth wall. I like that theory. I also like that Scott noticed. God, their chemistry! They need to work together again. On anything. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I was so hesitant to watch this show and now that I've finished it I'm so sad that it ended!  It was glorious!  It was at times hilarious yet touching and just so brilliant.  I will be keeping an eye out for more Phoebe in the future.  

Magnificent show!!

• Love 15

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Waller-Bridge's Crashing. I would love to see a second season, but apparently the network wasn't interested. (I also cannot figure out how to actually do a second season -- no spoilers as to how S1 ends -- but would trust PWB to sort that out.)

For those of you interested in more of Andrew Scott, there's his Moriarty on Sherlock, of course, but I can recommend the movies Pride and Handsome Devil, plus he's in an episode of the next season of Black Mirror (on Netflix June 5, I believe).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I finished this season a couple days ago, and I’m still thinking about it, about Fleabag’s opening “This is a love story” and all of the various love stories that made up the season. While the Fleabag/Priest love story shapes the season, the line that emotionally punched me in the gut the hardest was Claire telling Fleabag, “The only person I’d run through an airport for is you.” From Fleabag covering for Claire at the dinner to Claire letting Fleabag know that she was the only person worthy of a ridiculous, somewhat creepy expression of love, that love story might be my favorite  

Unrelated to love: Fleabag slowly standing up in the Quaker meeting to announce that she was worried that she wouldn’t be as big a feminist if she had smaller tits. I laughed so hard that I’m sure the entire apartment complex heard me. Ditto on the Priest’s line reading while announcing that Jake’s bassoon piece at the wedding was entitled “Where’s Claire?” (Which, actually might be related to love as Jake—while unhealthily obsessed—did seem to want the best for her in saying that she should leave.)

This season was just written and constructed so beautifully. I was laughed and cried—often at the same time—through the entire thing. I’d better see PWB’s monologue in the confessional at all the awards shows. She’s a genius. 

• Love 17

As much as I liked season 1 I did find it a bit darker than I would have liked. 

This season struck just the right balance for me.  We know they're all broken people but its the humor behind the damage that I appreciate.

I think the sisters relationship has always been my favorite.  I love the play by play "oh, she's furious". 

And about the step-nephew "he's going to kill someone one day".  And not just what she says, the gigantic smile she has while saying it. 

• Love 10
On 5/31/2019 at 11:07 AM, Mockingbird said:

the line that emotionally punched me in the gut the hardest was Claire telling Fleabag, “The only person I’d run through an airport for is you.” 

I somehow missed that line. But you are right. The sister relationship is so uncomfortably prickly but not unrealistically so. Treating a bad haircut like a life and death matter but downplaying a miscarriage is so Claire. But I liked how they had each other's back at the wedding. 

I also like that her dad actually wants to commit to Stepmother. He isn't being forced. He loves her in all her awfulness because he is capable of starting again. Of trying. And while I cannot stand her, look at the experiences she brings him? Japan, art openings, interesting friends, etc.

• Love 5

I can't get enough! I like the second season better than the first and I had no qualms about flirting with the priest or even the priest flirting back. I had major MAJOR issues with his first move coming right after her confession when she was so vulnerable. That warranted a hug not "kneel". Even though he doesn't know what it was exactly she couldn't confess, it wasn't a turn on in any way. That was blatantly abuse of power when she was most vulnerable. Any other time I could have accepted, sitting on the bench freaking out over foxes...awkward cafe talk...anything

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I somehow missed that line. But you are right. The sister relationship is so uncomfortably prickly but not unrealistically so. Treating a bad haircut like a life and death matter but downplaying a miscarriage is so Claire. But I liked how they had each other's back at the wedding. 

I also like that her dad actually wants to commit to Stepmother. He isn't being forced. He loves her in all her awfulness because he is capable of starting again. Of trying. And while I cannot stand her, look at the experiences she brings him? Japan, art openings, interesting friends, etc.

I like the fact we perfectly understood why he was marrying her without it ever really having the reason being explained. This is usually a sign of good writing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Do we have any kind of timeline on when the Boo situation occurred? I know the mother has been dead for three years, Boo was there to help out during the funeral stuff. She was dating Henry/Harry at the time... do we know if her misadventures sexually started at that time? or was that already established? Do we know if Boo's "accident" happened a month?, a year? before where our story picked up in Season 1? I feel like maybe 6 months because the cafe had time to start declining.

• Love 2

I loved the priest romance, but I kinda felt like it was a dick move for him to leave her right after they had sex. Like for all his conflict about it, it seemed like one night was enough to satisfy the urge and now he's done with it? That's more like a typical jerk guy thing, imo. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Like for all his conflict about it, it seemed like one night was enough to satisfy the urge and now he's done with it? That's more like a typical jerk guy thing, imo. 

I can see doing a thing once. He did say if he had sex with her he would probably fall in love. I am not sure sex makes Fleabag fall in love. We have another reversal of the usual tropes. I think she was in danger of falling in love when he told her to fuck off in the alley. 

• Love 5

I loved season 2. Loved it, loved it! I've watched it 3 times already and there is so much packed into each episode but it doesn't feel overwhelming or rushed. I astonished at how talented PWB is. The fact that we only had 6 episodes in the season yet I feel like the show was fully realized. Because this was such a brilliant show, of course, I want another season but I can understand how she feels this was enough. Like the weirdo I am, I actually waved back at my tv at the end when she was walking away and waving at us! 

I have many thoughts but all of you have captured the nuance and subtlety and depth. The priest was wonderful. my knees buckled when he said, "Kneel", cause rawr! That whole episode was poignant. I related to her so much in her confessional. The idea that she wants someone to take care of her even if she feels it's not what she's supposed to want as a feminist and a strong independent woman, but yeah sometimes...

The relationship between the sisters was also so well done. Touching and relatable. You could feel that despite how different they were they loved each other so much. 

I will watch anything and everything she ever does forever! Killing Eve isn't my kind of show, but I'm watching it this weekend. I liked Crashing. 

Brillant!

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I will watch anything and everything she ever does forever! Killing Eve isn't my kind of show, but I'm watching it this weekend. I liked Crashing. 

I agree with everything you said...the only difference is that I REALLY like/liked "Killing Eve," and will have to search out "Crashing."

I am bit worried she's being set up for a failure with the James Bond movie. Apparently it's been a messy production and maybe can't be saved but her name has become so attached to it. I know fanboys don't obsess over Bond like they do Marvel movies, but I think she is the first female writer in 25 films. If it bombs, who gets the blame? The director and producer should, but....

And I worry because even someone as genius as Emma Thompson had the stuffing taken out of her when critics hated her sketch show. She admitted to fleeing to serious dramas because they were easy for her. Emma Thompson! But she was still early days in her career like Phoebe.

(edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, jeansheridan said:

And I worry because even someone as genius as Emma Thompson had the stuffing taken out of her when critics hated her sketch show. She admitted to fleeing to serious dramas because they were easy for her. Emma Thompson! But she was still early days in her career like Phoebe.

I hadn't read about her working on a James Bond film.  Yikes!  Imagine what she's going through with everyone on the team (think:  Holly Hunter in Broadcast News when here boss said to her, "It must be nice to always be the smartest person in the room.", to which Holly replied, "No, it's awful!").  With any luck, she can turn the experience into a funny and insightful script sometime in the future.

Edited by OldButHappy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This was a nice binge for a day, I did both S1 and S2. 

I thought this was so well done. So many moments where they make a pivot away at the very last second from where you think a joke is going.

Two moments made me burst out laughing: Kristin Scott Thomas getting the 'award' and the stepson playing another bassoon song titled "where's Claire."

I was dead. 

• Love 6

I just started season 2,and I'm still cackling over her dropping the award, and the next shot is her HAULING  ASS  out of the building. I had to pause it because I was literally gasping.

• Love 7
On 5/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, tennisgurl said:

I especially love that the Priest is the only person who can see Fleabag breaking the fourth wall and reacts to it, it really emphasizes the unique connection that they have. 

It's something that hasn't been done well, if at all, since the theatrical version of "Into the Woods"  totally brilliant.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 7:14 PM, Notwisconsin said:

It's something that hasn't been done well, if at all, since the theatrical version of "Into the Woods"  totally brilliant.

There’s a tiny moment of the same thing in Gentleman Jack, which also breaks the fourth wall. Its first season aired somewhat overlapping with Fleabag season 2, so I suspect it’s coincidence, but both shows are helmed by brilliant women writers (PWB and Sally Wainwright, respectively). 

(Gentleman Jack is based on a historical true story, where much of the narrative comes from the person’s extensive journals ... so the fourth-wall-breaking is somewhat used as a framework for that.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, jeansheridan said:

Worth watching?

I love the showrunner (Wainwright) too much to be objective. I expect she’s a bit of an acquired taste. 1800s, so there’s some shades of Jane Austen. HBO, so the production values and costuming are fantastic. A dozen U.K. actors you will recognize. And this pretty unique tale of an “out” lesbian aristocrat looking for a wife, at a time it seemed highly improbable. 

Also Gemma Whelan (Yara from GoT). She’s a supporting character but gets to do some amazing, meme-worthy, eye-rolling exasperation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I have heard some buzz on this show but didn't jump in till I saw some GIF's and then I was like, wait what is THIS?

Oh goodness! I loved it! Such an easy watch and yet, there is so much to unpack from the humor to the life lessons to the symbolism to everything! Phoebe Waller-Bridge is really a gift. It takes real genius to put those words together and to act too.

My favorite line ever is this, “I think you know how to love better than any of us, that’s why you find it all so painful.” It really is the definition of empathy, compassion, hurt and hope all together. Oh goodness what a LINE.

I could go on about the hot priest but I'll just say what a complicated and beautiful relationship that is. 

Honestly I'm still thinking about the show and everything that it is. Def one of the best I have seen in a long time. I'll watch again and create fanart for quite some time.

• Love 15

The best show I have seen in years. My goodness. 

Ok, and I know the point of the show was Fleabag finally knowing that she would be ok, but I must say that I was disappointed that the Priest broke it off! I'm sorry, but they were hot hot hot. Ughhhhhh.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 4:55 PM, Hava said:

but I must say that I was disappointed that the Priest broke it off! I'm sorry, but they were hot hot hot. Ughhhhhh.

My hope is they work together again. In anything she wants to write. She used two actors from Killing Eve in Fleabag 2. It sounds like he enjoyed playing a complex non-villain for once. 

My friend kept waiting for him to turn eeeeevil. Heh. I do have concerns about The Priest's drinking. I like that the show just lets that sit without a discussion other than his my parents were champion alcoholics line.

I watched Crashing to get another fix of Phoebe. It's not as refined as Fleabag but it also has themes of art, body anxiety, not communicating well, and a crapload of crude body humor. One character is such an analog for Claire too but I am glad they hired Sian. She is so tense and pinched as Claire. Contained. And unintentionally fun. 

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 2
(edited)

I watched Crashing to get another fix of Phoebe. It's not as refined as Fleabag but it also has themes of art, body anxiety, not communicating well, and a crapload of crude body humor. One character is such an analog for Claire too but I am glad they hired Sian. She is so tense and pinched as Claire. Contained. And unintentionally fun. 

I just rewatched Crashing too and noticed the same thing. Character's name escapes me, the girlfriend who kept trying to prove she could be fun, and had all her insecurities triggered hard by Lulu. I did like that in the end, girlfriend was like: 

Spoiler

"I'm not a fucking idiot, I know you two hooked up." 

Edited by kieyra

Her love interests are Irish, Fleabag and Crashing, I know her husband was Irish although they've split up now. I like the priest but I really, really like the dude on Crashing. Check please, I will take 5 of him.

Fabulous acting, all the way round.

I rarely catch all of the dialogue, cuz... accents! Did they ever say WHY she hooked up with her best friend in the whole world's boyfriend. She really, really loved Boo, so why? She did not seem intoxicated in the flashback. I know Fleabag mentioned her inner void/depression, but with the "not always the best decision" hook ups, the stealing, the "scenes" and blurting out of things, I wondered if she might also have had an impulse disorder?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, Winter Rose said:

...while for Fleabag, she knows now what it is to be seen...

That's a great way of understanding what it means that the priest was able to somehow pick up on her asides to the audience. Those asides (obviously) have always been "the real her." He can't tell what they are, but the fact that he can even intuit that they are happening reflects a level of understanding of her that no one else has.

• Love 8
On 6/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, TVbitch said:

I rarely catch all of the dialogue, cuz... accents!

Closed-captioning for all shows with other than "American" English.

• Love 5