Type keyword(s) to search

Fleabag - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

From Jezebel: "Fleabag is the latest addition to the 'unlikable woman' genre of television comedy. The series, imported from BBC3, was created by and stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge. It’s light on plot, which is to its benefit, and instead follows the protagonist as she ungracefully stumbles through a failing career, a friend’s death, and her deeply dysfunctional family. Waller-Bridge is committed to that particularly grim British approach that finds a kind of poignant humor in complete and utter failure."

Maybe I'm topped off on awkward failures, but I sort of watched with a weary sigh. I certainly didn't laugh. Does wincing count as enjoyment these days?

• Love 6

I have watched the first couple of episodes and really like the actress--her face is so expressive and her emotions so transparent--but I have to agree on the sex scenes.  They are not physically overly graphic (haven't had any full on nudity yet, but again, just two episodes in), but when she is talking in an aside to the camera while in action--it's just strange.  I feel like sometimes these non-network stations put in sex scenes just because they can.  Lots of sex scenes doesn't make up for a lack of story, and I think there is plenty of story to be told here and they have a winner in the lead role.

• Love 1

Absolutely loved it. Phoebe was on Pop Culture Happy Hour recently and it was a very insightful interview--I recommend giving it a listen, especially as regards the "awkward sex" stuff.

Found it hilarious, uncomfortable, and incredibly painful. And I can't get a single person I know IRL to watch it. Sad to see it's not getting much chatter here, although the critics seem to love it. 

The end reveal is gutting and makes rewatching a real treat (if even more painful). 

• Love 9

One of my favorite new shows this year.  Hilarious and crushing - my favorite combination.  And I've managed to get 4 people to watch it!!  

Also binged Crashing, another comedy with Phoebe.  Didn't like it AS much, some annoying love triangle stuff but still plenty of LOL moments, so recommend it.  Only 6 eps, on Netflix.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, maraleia said:

I wish they would tell us if there will be a second season.

They asked Phoebe about that on the podcast I mentioned. I can't remember her exact words, but I got the sense she wasn't having the typical "yes please give us another season I have it all planned out!" response you would expect. The show was based on a stage show she wrote and performed and I think it was pretty self-contained 

(Caveat: podcast was almost two months ago, my memory is imperfect.)

I WOULD watch more but I also think it was perfect as a one-shot. I do wish it had gotten more traction among the Catastrophe/You're The Worst/arguably Master of None crowd. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, stanleyk said:

And I need to know what color of lipstick she wears, because it is seriously on point.

An answer I know!  Apparently, it's one the makeup artist made custom, but it's heavily based on the Mac shade "Dare You", and apparently, it's what they would use for touch-ups.

Just started the show after hearing some really rave reviews and I'm enjoying it.  Though, I'll admit, I was hooked at "Do I have a massive asshole?"

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/16/2017 at 11:58 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

Apparently, it's one the makeup artist made custom, but it's heavily based on the Mac shade "Dare You", and apparently, it's what they would use for touch-ups.

And thank you for this, because I went and bought the Mac shade, and it is awesome. 

• Love 3

Just finished watching all 6 episodes over 2 nights.  I liked it but I'm not sure I would want to see this idea go on for an entire regular series.  There were some moments that really made me lol loudly, but there were also many they intended to be funny, but weren't at all for me.

I think the thing I liked most was the sisters relationship, although the last episode didn't bode well for them.  

I appreciate seeing damaged characters trying to navigate every day life, but there was just a bit too much of that in the series.  If they were to renew it I would l like to see the humor and the wit but a little less of the dysfunction.

• Love 2

Sat down tonight to watch the first episode, and 3 hours later, I've seen the series...

I like her. I get her, I understand her, although I am NOT her. The character of Claire felt very real to me - I have good relationships with my sisters, but they are at times fraught. I'm so glad we're getting more of this series, just because I want more of the voice of the creator.

• Love 9

Am just discovering this show, because it's only in the last month that Apple TV got Amazon Prime.

Funny, after the first episode I wasn't sure I was going to keep going. But a week or so later I watched the second and third, and got hooked.

Four episodes in, I really like it. I'm glad it's getting another season. A very smart show.

• Love 2

I just watched the whole S1, thanks to the reminder from EHG (a successful canon induction).  Wow. So good. It's been a couple of days and it has stuck with me, like a low-lying pervasive sense of dread. About 1/2 in I realized what the truth of Boo's death was and it hit me like a gut-punch. I actually exclaimed "Jesus Christ" when I figured it out. 

At the same time, a hilarious show with a very winning lead character in spite of all her problems and sharp edges. I encourage anyone who has not seen it or who stopped, to give it another chance.

• Love 4

Watched season one straight through today. Loved it, and cannot wait to see Olivia Coleman take over the role of Princess Margaret in The Crown.

• Love 1
(edited)

Phoebe’s show Crashing is available on Netflix, by the way.

EDIT: And in my desperate search for summer television, I found that Phoebe is also involved behind the scenes in Killing Eve, a show I'd been avoiding because anything that reminds me of Gray's Anatomy is usually off the table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Eve

So I'll be checking this one out.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I just watched season one as a binge last night and today. I was put onto it by Ben Aldridge (not personally, but by checking his filmography after bingeing Our Girl), and then of course Olivia Coleman. She is fantastic in all the things. 

What a great overall story regarding Boo, and then each episode in itself is well-written. And by "great overall story regarding Boo" I just mean the planning/execution of the story, not the actual

Spoiler

heart wrenching

story itself.

• Love 2

This is a great show. And so fucking crazy. I mean the comedy is hilarious, the sexual tension runs high, and then the outright deep human drama it's all revolving around... just pathos. It's awesome.

• Love 6

Huh! How interesting that (a) Fleabag's side-glances to the camera have some sort of real world manifestations (of "going somewhere for a second"), and (b) that the priest has the power to see these manifestations.

Am I talking too much like this is some sort of superhero movie?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

"It's my 'yob'"? Does the hard "j" sound not exist in Finnish? Even if it doesn't, the guy had to know that's not how job is pronouncedin English.

When a hot, young priest tells you he won't be having sex with you. Yikes.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:18 AM, Corgi-ears said:

Huh! How interesting that (a) Fleabag's side-glances to the camera have some sort of real world manifestations (of "going somewhere for a second"), and (b) that the priest has the power to see these manifestations.

Am I talking too much like this is some sort of superhero movie?!

MIND BLOWN!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh boy, I hope Fleabag is very conscientious about her contraceptive use because if she ends up in a WTD situation between that obnoxious lawyer and the Priest, she'll be the one bursting into flames.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
4 hours ago, nameless slob said:

Indeed it was.

Plus, stealing back the sculpture.

That is how you end a series. Nicely done. My thought was she took back the statue after she found out it was inspired by her mother, as a reminder to try to cultivate the parts of her that she got from her mother, like her father told her to do.

• Like 1
  • Love 21

Well, that whole thing was just lovely. If that was the series finale, which I assume it was, it really stuck the landing.

I don’t normally react this way to content creators, but I’m insanely jealous of PWB’s talent.

• Love 16

"Kneel."  I shouldn't have loved that as much as I did but dayum.

Were they implying that Fleabag's mother had a tryst with her student/the sister's godmother? Or was Fleabag just impressed with her mother's body?

I found it really interesting how similar some of the things Fleabag's counselor said were to what the priest said without the sexual tension.

I laughed every time a picture fell off the wall.

Strangely, I thought season 1 was perfect with a perfect ending.  I felt season 2 was almost better except this time I'm left wanting more.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Kneel."  I shouldn't have loved that as much as I did but dayum.

Andrew Scott can do amazing things with his voice. It was smart of her to put him off screen so we can anticipate his voice.

• Love 10
On 3/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, Charlesman said:

"Ah, fuck you calling me 'Father' like it doesn't turn you on just to say it." 

I would say she gives him all the good lines except everyone gets good lines. Even the stepson! Kristen Scott Thomas, Fiona Shaw, even the creepy lawyer.

I also like that she casts interesting faces. Nobody is glamorous in this world (except on the day of her Mother's funeral!).

It must be a pleasure to read her scripts.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Strangely, I thought season 1 was perfect with a perfect ending.  I felt season 2 was almost better except this time I'm left wanting more.

I thought season 1 was about the most perfectly constructed series I have ever watched. Not to give much away, but somewhere around episode 4 in this one, I thought they were going to go in a different direction re the priest and religion and was a bit disappointed in the open ended conclusion (but I guess this means a possibilty for a season 3).

Anyone who likes watching for continuity glitches should pay attention to Fleabag’s hair in the bar scene with Kristin Scott Thomas.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, Charlesman said:

"Ah, fuck you calling me 'Father' like it doesn't turn you on just to say it." 

I would say she gives him all the good lines except everyone gets good lines. Even the stepson! Kristen Scott Thomas, Fiona Shaw, even the creepy lawyer.

I also like that she casts interesting faces. Nobody is glamorous in this world (except on the day of her Mother's funeral!).

It must be a pleasure to read her scripts.

"And because I want to know." Damn! Isn't that just such a turn on too? 

In my dream world they still have long conversations over the phone. Because that kind of emotional intimacy...hot damn. But I get why they had sex. He needed to eliminate the tension. It's a bit like The Hotel New Hampshire when two characters have a full day of sex to permanently burn the desire out and then they can be normal with each other again.

And at the very least she lost to God! That's some competition.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Rickster said:

(but I guess this means a possibilty for a season 3).

Phoebe's said that she isn't planning a S3. It's too bad but I also think it's strangely right, with Fleabag essentially leaving us behind as she walks away from the bus stop.

I have to admit, I was hoping it wouldn't go there with Fleabag and the Priest. I enjoyed the buildup and all but thought it was being set up to amount to friendship, which sounded so refreshing to me because I don't think we see friendship valued often enough in comparison to romance. So when it happened, I was a bit disappointed because it felt so... generic. But the ending was perfect, and the only way I think it could've ended between them. The love is there, but the Priest would never have been able to give up the church without losing himself in the process. That's where he's found his faith while for Fleabag, she knows now what it is to be seen and I think it's being able to find faith in herself.

The speech was also fantastic. Phoebe did such a great job of capturing the different aspects of love, the reality being that it's not a fairytale. But also that there's all kinds of love, it's not just romantic. There's familial love, love amongst friends, love in one's faith, and certainly self-love.

• Love 17
21 hours ago, Winter Rose said:

have to admit, I was hoping it wouldn't go there with Fleabag and the Priest

While I know what you mean, one thing I think was necessary was for Fleabag to have non-tragic sex. Last season a thoughtless hook up helped kill her best friend. Sex was largely negative for her. This season she gets 9 orgasms with a possibly okay (despite table manners) fellow and starts a friendship with someone I think she'll eventually see again once she gets over the lust. Because he is right. Lust fades (I know he said love but really in that 24 hour period it was lust). Fleabag needed a new friend after Boo. Now she has at least two and maybe three if you count small loan dude. I feel a lot of hope for her. So much hope. 

• Love 13

God, I've loved this show. Two seasons, two perfect gems. Yes, yes, yes to Andrew Scott. No surprise there; the casting has always been spot-on. Brett Gellman really sold his speech at the wedding--PWB is a genius at writing flawed humans, i.e. all humans. The bassoon thing "It's a cry for help!!" had me rolling because my dad is a (retired) professional bassoonist.

The finale left Fleabag in a pretty good place, although I did like the therapist and hope she goes back for more sessions. Also glad for Claire & Claire. I wish I could get my sister to watch this, but she hasn't even watched Catastrophe yet *sigh*.

• Love 9

I thought it was hilarious that the painting of Fleabag and Claire (with just the back of Fleabag’s head) was set up next to where they were taking their vows.

Also, one of the best lines was when the priest revealed that his brother was a pedophile and, when a silence fell over the table, he said “I’m aware of the irony.”

• Love 13

Absolutely brilliant. I loved the second season even more than the first, and I wasn't sure that was possible. What an immense talent Phoebe Waller-Bridge is. Fleabag AND Killing Eve? I mean, come on.

• Love 14