Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

The trio chase evildoer Garcia Flynn to the Hindenburg disaster of 1937 in the series premiere of this sci-fi actioner about a professor, a soldier and a scientist teaming up to travel through time to battle a master criminal out to alter human history.

• Love 2
On 9/30/2016 at 2:13 PM, lordonia said:

Curious about "you can't go back to any time where you've ever been before or you might disintegrate on the trip back or something." Does that mean the same day, month, year, epoch?

It's the standard excuse for why you can't just try again if you screw up. The rule in Doctor Who has been that there can't be two of you at the same time. This sounds a bit like the 'evil leaper' arc in Quantum Leap with the history prof standing in for Al's fancy iPad, except that QL never addressed that Sam could have been the evil one from a different POV.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, withanaich said:

Uh ... so how did Siberia end? Because that show was my guilty pleasure and then I ended up missing the finale (where I presume they explained everything).

They didn't. The ones left made it into the town but it's empty. They find a house (or apartment don't remember) and decide to stay there because there's food and stuff. They watch some kind of video that surprises them (don't remember what it was.) Then the soldiers that were chasing them arrive and the host of the show comes in and says they shouldn't be there. 

It doesn't make much sense because I only sort of remember, and also it didn't make sense. Glad to find others of the five people who watched this show. 

Uh, back to Timeless:

If nothing else, this show is enjoyable as a sequel series to Better Off Ted where we see Lem's career in a post-Veridian Dynamics world

SOLD!

Also: Paterson Joseph. Yes, please. 

• Love 1

Curious about "you can't go back to any time where you've ever been before or you might disintegrate on the trip back or something." Does that mean the same day, month, year, epoch?

It is the old "matter cannot exist in the same place twice" rule. It is based in real physics, though don't ask me to explain because I couldn't even begin to.  

I do think this show won't make it, but I will watch every episode. I am a huge history buff (in fact I earned my BA in History) and I love Abigail Spencer, so this is a must see for me. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

It is the old "matter cannot exist in the same place twice" rule. It is based in real physics, though don't ask me to explain because I couldn't even begin to.  

I do think this show won't make it, but I will watch every episode. I am a huge history buff, and I love Abigail Spencer, so this is a must see for me. 

The bad part is that one of the parts of the body that changes least over a lifetime are brain cells. If two of you are in the same time, only one of you gets most of the brain.

• Love 1

Ha! So dumb and yet so pretty and entertaining. I'll put it at a 99% chance of cancellation, so I'm not getting too attached. Nice seeing familiar faces like Luka Kovacs from ER and Christopher from Gilmore Girls (both of whom are aging very gracefully, dayum). 

• Love 7

Well, I liked it. The stupid promo spoiled the mom being okay, but I wasn't expecting the sister to not exist.  I thought she wasn't going to be a professor anymore or something. But I love time travel stories because I love the idea of small things having a bigger impact and trying to figure out all the cause and effect. So, the change to her family based on the Hiddenburg interests me a lot.

The only problem is that if the entire premise is based on them trying to go back and stop Flynn, they can't catch him or the show would end. But if they never succeed at catching him, they start to look kind of dumb.

But it looks like it will be a lot of fun to watch them try.

• Love 20

I have to give props to the show for not hitting the reset button. The Hindenburg went down completely differently and the people who didn't die dramatically changed the timeline. I would say for the better because Susanna Thompson.

Obviously, someone found a time travel capsule with stuff from the future involving Lucy and possibly Rufus. We also are led to believe Lucy eventually goes rogue and writes a time travel manifesto for the big bad.

Also, I guess they can't go into the future because 1) the bad guy has no reason to and 2) because they'd have to go far enough into the future where they already died or something.

• Love 8

That was...ok.  The special effects and costumes are good (although that Hindenburg fire in the beginning looked really fake) but the characterization and dialogue needs work.  I thought Wyatt was a moron.  Kate may have resembled his late wife, but the whole point was to leave things as they were.  Flynn took several people with him when he went back in time, so he already set a different future in motion.  

Knew the underwire bra would come into play somehow in the story.  So obvious.

Can someone explain to me how the people in the bunker working on the time travel device were seemingly unaffected by the change in time?  At least 30 people were saved from the Hindenburg's destruction, so I find it odd that Lucy's family were the only people affected.  

I thought things would be a lot worse for Rufus in 1937.  I don't blame him for one second for not wanting to join this mission.  I'm guessing he's working as a spy for Mason.

I'm wondering if the little girl Rufus saved in the end will have some greater impact later on.

• Love 8

I liked it a lot so it will probably tank in the ratings. I didn't see that ending coming at all, so that was a nice little twist. I try not to speculate in my head what the twist will be-and there's always a twist- so that I'm surprised. It works sometimes, like this one.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Knew the underwire bra would come into play somehow in the story.  So obvious.

Yeah, that part was obvious. But I have to say if someone asked me to take my bra off so they could use the underwire, I would pull the bra off through my sleeve and not actually get totally topless in front of people I just met. I think that scene was written (or directed) by a man.

I thought things would be a lot worse for Rufus in 1937.  I don't blame him for one second for not wanting to join this mission.  I'm guessing he's working as a spy for Mason.

I thought so too, but I kind of loved his yelling at the cops. I'm a bit worried about him going back to Civil War times next week. That just seems like a liability when planning your time travel.  But I like the character, so I want him to have stuff to do.

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, that part was obvious. But I have to say if someone asked me to take my bra off so they could use the underwire, I would pull the bra off through my sleeve and not actually get totally topless in front of people I just met. I think that scene was written (or directed) by a man.

Not an expert, but time seemed to be a factor and I think those things hooked in the back.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ketose said:

Not an expert, but time seemed to be a factor and I think those things hooked in the back.

It's still easy to take off without taking your shirt off. Probably faster actually. Unless I am some kind of freak. But speaking of time, the guy should have told her to start taking it off while Rufus was starting his tirade. The cop stopped watching them before that and it would have given them more time. But that's less dramatic, I think.

• Love 13

The previews made this look promising and I believe the critics were giving it rave reviews. So I decided to check it out.  I wasn't terribly impressed with it.

I find nothing intriguing about Flynn going  back in time. I just did not care. 

Who didn't predict the cliche story with the hot brooding guy having lost his wife, hence his hot broodiness.  Or that the girl he tried to save would die anyway after he'd saved her from dying the first time.<RME>

As an AA, it's difficult for me to suspend disbelief enough to buy that Rufus would be able to jump through time, to the past no less without encountering extreme clashes with the time and cultures of the past. Like he said, there is no time in America's past that was good for a black person, and his boss' response of "all the more reason for you to go" made absolutely no sense to me.

Lastly, the idea that anyone can believe they can go to the past and not change some part of the future is very naive. Being as brainy as she is, Lucy should've known this. As Karl told her, things always get messy. 

The episode didn't get interesting, mildly, until the last five minutes when Lucy went home to find her mother alive and well and her sister to be nonexistent.  Plus, I loved seeing Mara Queen in her former glory. Still this is not enough to make me come back. For the most part this was a boring premiere. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It probably was.  That said, I think her blouse was too clingy for her to slide the bra off through the sleeves.  

2 minutes ago, Enero said:

As an AA, it's difficult for me to suspend disbelief enough to buy that Rufus would be able to jump through time, to the past no less without encountering extreme clashes with the time and cultures of the past. Like he said, there is no time in American's past that was good for a black person, and his boss' response of "all the more reason for you to go" made absolutely no sense to me.

This.  Never mind the scene at the jail, I figured Rufus would have gotten into some kind of altercation just waiting outside of the bar.  I also thought the cop would be calling him something else besides "boy."  Whatever reasons that Mason is sending him back, it better be worth enough for Rufus to put his life in jeopardy.

• Love 3

I'd heard mixed things, with some good reviews and some really bad remarks from people who'd seen a preview. I liked it well enough, but I'm a sucker for time travel and playing with history. I like most of the cast. The ex(?)-soldier haunted by the death of his wife is kind of a trope that could turn this into Lethal Weapon Across Time, but he's pretty. However, his manly two days of stubble really isn't going to work with the time travel thing. Unless he's portraying someone who's got a reason not to shave, the constant two days of beard is rather modern (really, is no one on TV these days allowed to shave?). He'd either need to grow a real beard or shave entirely, depending on the era.

• Love 18

Fine - send the B team back and have them give it a try.  It's a stupid convention anyway, as the matter that makes up you existed in 1937, it was just scattered all over the place.  Does this count?  Or is it the old 'it only counts if I meet myself'?  What if I meet myself when I'm 10 years older, and much of my bits have been replaced as old cells die and I eat burgers - does that count?  It's an old time-travel trope but it makes no sense.

Also making no sense - the moment Luka goes back in time, everything he changes does so instantly as far as we're concerned.  So without us noticing, Omar Bradley never led in WWII and whatever else happened when the Hindenburg blew up too late.  We'd never know anything was different, and no, I'm not allowing for that 'it takes time for time to sort itself out' nonsense.  Wibbly-wobbly be damned, this one is easy - we'd never know anything had 'changed'.

In this vein, either time changes instantly or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, there's no need to rush-rush-rush your prep.  You literally have all the time in the world, so you probably want to prep Lucy a bit better.  I will say that for someone totally unprepared, Lucy was pretty much good to go with the whole time travel thing.  I'm okay with that.

I'll give them a bit of credit - I did like it that it was the Soldier Guy who didn't want to just let She-Looks-Like-My-Wife die, and the historian who's all 'eh - her time is up'.  Still stupid that Soldier Guy, who must have had more prep than Lucy, doesn't seem to understand the stakes here, and that he might have to do ugly things like blow up the Hindenburg himself.  Also weird that he'd let his boner for someone who resembles his wife totally compromise the mission.  How'd he get this job?  Did Not-Elon-Musk not screen a few candidates?

All in all, somewhat enjoyable if a bit predictable.  I kind of a sucker for time travel shows, and I already find less to be annoyed at than in Legends of Tomorrow.  

• Love 9
On 10/4/2016 at 0:33 AM, LittleIggy said:

I enjoyed it. Goran V.! :-)

Ugh, you sound just like Mrs. Pootel.

Me: How can she be both a historian and an anthropologist, that just ...

Mrs. Pootel: Shut up, Nerdlinger!  Oh Dr. Luka, take me with you through time ...

Me: Wha - .  Hmm.  That is a very handsome man.  

Edited by henripootel
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
21 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Those workers in the BunkerLab need to get some damned paperweights.

I was thinking the same thing. That would be pretty annoying every time the time machine zapped in or out. Also, there didn't seem to be very much security at Time Machine HQ.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, I'm sure that weird silvery sphere in the middle of a field won't attract attention from anybody, including the people flying overhead on the Hindenburg.

I don't think that reporter is a real historical person.

So everybody on the team has a reason to change the past?

The racial stuff is going to get old really fast if we have to deal with it every week.

Right.  They didn't notice they were taking off?

So the past gets changed anyway.  Um, yeah. 

So Garcia is from the future, or from a different past?  Just, what?

Where was the Hindenburg taking off for?  Were the celebrities on board already, and did they die, therefore changing our past anyway?

Engagement ring?

• Love 4

Anyone remember that NBC show from the 80s called "Voyagers!" starring the late John-Eric(sp) Hexum? Thats what Timeless kind of reminds me of,hopefully this show's run will be longer than Voyagers's was..

I thought the soldier guy's voice sounded familr..the actor also was the voice of Anakin Skywalker in the CG "Clone Wars" series

Edited by TDT
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Can someone explain to me how the people in the bunker working on the time travel device were seemingly unaffected by the change in time?  At least 30 people were saved from the Hindenburg's destruction, so I find it odd that Lucy's family were the only people affected.  

I thought things would be a lot worse for Rufus in 1937.  I don't blame him for one second for not wanting to join this mission.  I'm guessing he's working as a spy for Mason.

I'm wondering if the little girl Rufus saved in the end will have some greater impact later on.

Yeah it was weird any of them even were there let alone the time travel project.  Would have been more interesting if they came back to find the hanger gone and a mall on the site instead.  At least they showed that changes can cut both ways with mom back but sister that never was.  I'll give them that much.

2 hours ago, henripootel said:

Fine - send the B team back and have them give it a try. 

Yeah sounds like a plan to me.  (B Plan, cough).

Also there was no rush to get back there anyway since they could have easily gone back a few days earlier if they wanted.  Or is it that the prototype clunker they are using is anchored somehow to the new, flashy sports car model the bad guy is tooling around in?  They said something about being able to home in on it.

But anyway since the Hindenberg did crash because that is what history shows them in the present then why go back to make sure it crashed is present timeline shows that it did?  Oh yeah, time travel stories never make any sense in the end.

I guess in the end time travel always will remain pretty silly because of all the paradoxes it raises.  How can you change history by going back and changing it when the time you came from knows that it wasn't changed because you exist in a non-changed history etc etc.  You have to give up all logical thought with this as a premise and just take it for what it is which is better than the Monday Night Football game on this evening at least.

I would like that the bad guy turns out to be a good guy and is trying to restore an original timeline and that we are actually in an alternative timeline because someone else messed with the original one earlier.  But it doesn't seem to be set-up to go in that direction cast-wise and action wise what with bombs and shooting someone looking like soldier boy's wife. 

But the booklet he shows Lucy that he says she wrote in maybe another timeline (?) gave me some hope for that.  And I wished we could see this time travel show turn things a bit upside down.  Maybe the storyline will at least be somewhat gray and not so cut and dry good guys vs bad guys anyway.

BTW does anyone have a screen cap or link to said booklet page he showed Lucy?

PS: I agree with the two day stubble "look" looking really odd in pretty much any time before the 21st century.  Soldier boy would have been taken for a hungover drunk or maybe a homeless guy with that look in 1937.

Edited by green
  • Love 11

I liked this! To me the difference between this and NBC's recent run of sci-fi efforts is simple: this looked fun, and is fun. I don't need a lot of portent and conspiracy, just give me a sustainable "Quantum Leap" style show, loosely serialized. I'm down with that for at least a few seasons.

• Love 24

Most time travel stories have an absolute frame of reference, the running time of the movie/episode. Flynn goes back in time so many minutes into the episode, we see him changing time so many minutes later, therefore when we see the fictional present again five minutes before the end, that's the first occasion when we could possibly see the change *that took place instantly when Flynn saved the Hindenburg.* We couldn't see the effects of the change at minute X of the episode, before we saw the cause at X+ minutes of the episode. Of course an absolute frame of reference is bad physics. Curiously though, as of this moment, closed timelike curves are still theoretically possible. The energy required would take the power output of a smallish galaxy, though, so if you want to say time travel is impossible I'm not going to argue very hard. But the picture would change if there were such a thing as negative energy/mass, I think.

As to the notion that people cannot revisit the same point in the spacetime continuum? Each person has..or maybe is?...what's called a world-line. Knotting the world lines together could plausibly be said to cause self-interference, literally in this case. By analogy, maybe you could say it's no more possible than drawing a line in the sand, then crossing that line with another line *without breaking the first.* As to the suggestions there could be a B team, maybe you could fanwank it as seeing even one member of the A team as irreplaceable. That could be Rufus, for nefarious reasons. Or it could be the almanac, for nefarious reasons alluded to by Flynn. 

But the diary suggests the end story is going to be a causal loop, which is self-consistent when done properly. 

The real thing about this is that it's so heavily serialized, there's no real payoff to the episode. What we really get is a setup, the disappearing sister versus reappearing mom. 

PS Changing time is paradoxical when it undoes the agents of change. In principle you could have any number of changes which leave the changers the only ones who know the original timeline. 

Second PS The series seems to be unaware that the earth is moving through space. 

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 9

This is a pilot so I  not going to put all my eggs in a basket just yet and say yay or nay.  That being said this is looking like it is going more the way of 12 Monkeys (in reverse though) and less Quantum Leap which is a good thing in my book.  Circular  time travel logic.   All this has happened before and will happen again type stuff which will send some people into a feedback loop but I tend to enjoy.    

its still to early to decide if I will really like this but so far it is shaping up for a fun ride.

• Love 6

I liked that they had moments of fun ("This is Dr. Dre; I'm nurse Jackie.  We're from General Hospital.") mixed in with the serious bits, and efforts at historical accuracy (the General being scared of Spanish flu; the ropes that don't touch the ground).  Some things threw me (like why a time bomb would need a remote detonator in the walkie-talkie?  As backup?)

Things that could be fixed in future episodes--maybe changes to the timeline happen slowly--like the timequakes from Millennium--so they've got minutes or hours to send someone back before the changes take hold.  In a better world, they could move forward in time it takes for the time for light (or something) to get to where the Earth is now--so for 1937 you'd be in more of a hurry than in, say, building the Pyramids.

Also, the timeship(s) could travel at least a little in distance, so having them follow the Earth's gravity signature through time and space could help link them travel the distances in space as well as time.  Also they could end world hunger on that long line of bull fertilizer I just spun, but sometimes a line of dialogue helps where special effects don't.  (The line about "what was that?  A special effect?" made me laugh, because for us, it was.)

• Love 4

So, their job is to prevent any changes being made to the past, because even a squashed beetle could cause huge alterations to the future/present.  Except they totally screw the mission, and sweeping changes occur.  Therefore, they've failed, and we can bring the series to a conclusion already?

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think that scene was written (or directed) by a man.

Maybe, but she stripped to the waist, and we didn't get even the tiniest flash of boob?  Doesn't come off as a male ego-trip to me.

• Love 4

Well, I don't get it, and did I blink and miss David Sutcliffe?  I guess I'll watch depending on what history they go back to, but if it's all 1930s, I probably won't watch.  Maybe the bad guy is going after Werner von Braun, or to change what happens with him. 

Black character goes back in time to save little white girl.  He's in a different cell, but a man and a woman are in the same cell.   The back of the bus was nice?  I say Oh Well.

I was really into it until the predictable, "you have no idea who you're working for" moment. I honestly wish we could have one show where the good guys are the good guys and they don't end up teamed with the fan-favorite villain in season 2. 

Will still watch for Abigail Spencer and Lem from Better Off Ted, but meh.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Besides being fun it has all the things I like in a time travel show.  It explained the rules fairly quickly.  No do-overs.  No fixing your own lives.

Agreed, but what I don't like is it seems that they are going to immediately break the rules.  The preview showed Lucy saying something about how they have to get her sister back.  

11 hours ago, ketose said:

Also, I guess they can't go into the future because 1) the bad guy has no reason to and 2) because they'd have to go far enough into the future where they already died or something.

I thought the bad guy already went into the future?  That's how he got Lucy's diary, right?

11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

YES!  I want to know why nothing seemed to change there.  Maybe it will in future episodes.  I see why the bunker has to exist just plot-wise, otherwise the threesome who goes back in time wouldn't find themselves back in the present.

The Dead Wife guy (sorry can't remember his name) is a really annoying character to me.  I hope there is no romance between him and Lucy.

This wasn't a horrible show but I don't see it lasting past one season.

• Love 4

"Time Tunnel" redux? "The City on the Edge of Forever", "Butterfly Effect", "Time Cop" and many others. Fun with time travel paradoxes. Is there nothing new under the sci-fi sun these days?  

I may watch for Matt Lanter (Liam Court from "90210"), but otherwise, meh.

• Love 1

Please, y'all, stop saying it's going to be cancelled.  I really liked it.  I don't need it all to make sense.  It was a lot of fun.  And I think it's better than Haley Atwell's new show (can't remember the name of it).  I loved her as Agent Carter, but if anything gets cancelled in this time slot, I think it will be that one. 

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:
12 hours ago, Amethyst said:

YES!  I want to know why nothing seemed to change there.  Maybe it will in future episodes.

To be fair, when the trio came back, the three characters who were there originally were still there (the government woman, the inventor, the female coder), but we don't know if their lives (spouses, children, health) were affected by the time change.  There was a bunch of coders there also, don't know if some were gone or if some were added when the time travelers came back.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Well, I don't get it, and did I blink and miss David Sutcliffe?

He was in one of the very first scenes. Lucy blamed him for losing her tenure and it sounded as if there was some baggage between them. So, I'm going to assume he'll be her fiancé in the changed timeline.

I'm always a bit wary about time-travel stories (love 12 Monkeys - hate Legends of Tomorrow). But the twist about the notebook being written by Lucy got me. Also: any show that keeps Susanna Thompson on my screen is fine by me *kicks Arrow and Gibb-slaps NCIS* So, I'm in.

PS: I tried to remove an underwire from a bra once (because reasons) - those suckers are not just sewn in they're also glued in, no way you get them out without pliers and a lot of swearing.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

PS: I tried to remove an underwire from a bra once (because reasons) - those suckers are not just sewn in they're also glued in, no way you get them out without pliers and a lot of swearing.

Or, lots of washing it not according to directions- like me.  And then, you find out the underwire is popping out and stabbing you!

I actually liked this.  I also am a sucker for pretty much any time-travel show (not really loving LoT, though).  I really like Abigail Spencer, love David Sutcliff (so, hope for tons more of him) and think Matt Lanter is oh-so pretty (although I know him from the doomed Star Crossed, so maybe he is bad luck).

With all time-travel shows I just let their rules be my guide, check all real thought at the door and let the show entertain me.  I really don't need it to be grounded in any sort of reality.

• Love 23
15 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I tried to remove an underwire from a bra once (because reasons) - those suckers are not just sewn in they're also glued in, no way you get them out without pliers and a lot of swearing.

That depends -- mine have a tendency to work themselves loose, poke through the side of the bra and start stabbing me. I've had a few where I was able to remove the wire without removing any clothing, but they were fairly old bras.

11 hours ago, henripootel said:

In this vein, either time changes instantly or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, there's no need to rush-rush-rush your prep.  You literally have all the time in the world, so you probably want to prep Lucy a bit better.

That's something done very well in one of Connie Willis's time travel novels -- for the people trapped in the past, it's a race against time, where they have to get out before they overlap with themselves. But the people in the future spend ten years tracking down exactly when and where these people are and finding a way to get to them, since the entire past can be reached at any time when you have time travel.

But I'm generally able to forgive a lot when it comes to time travel. I like that they're having a ripple effect rather than going back in time, fixing things, and there being no consequences.

• Love 7