Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Interim

Tara Ariano

11 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Dodgers in the Pilot were in San Diego, while in this episode the Padres traveled to L.A.

Anyway, I know how the baseball schedule works...I'm just saying it's a bit repetitive to have, two episodes in a row, the same team featured twice. The writers didn't necessarily have to make that choice but they did.

Well, that happens too! The Giants were in LA last week, now the Dodgers are in San Francisco. Plus the Padres played the Giants for Ginny's second game. I think we'll see more teams as the show moves along, NL West teams play NL West teams a lot and there's probably only so many options for road game filming. 

As for the MPG beard discussion, I'm pretty impressed with the authenticity of his baseball beard. He even has that few days growth of neck beard going on that baseball players seem to love. 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

Well, that happens too! The Giants were in LA last week, now the Dodgers are in San Francisco. Plus the Padres played the Giants for Ginny's second game. I think we'll see more teams as the show moves along, NL West teams play NL West teams a lot and there's probably only so many options for road game filming.

True...logistics. Probably the only time we'll see Wrigley Field or Marlins Park is if the Padres have to beat them to stay in the playoff hunt.

On 9/29/2016 at 10:35 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

I take back what I said. I ship Ginny and Mike. I don't REALLY want it to happen, particularly this season, but their scenes are magic. The whole dynamic reminds me of Jimmy and Dottie from A League of Their Own, and thankfully those two never hooked up, which was part of the appeal.

FWIW, Jimmy and Dottie did originally kiss. It just ended up on the floor during editing. I can't find the clip right now, but I know I've seen it. Might be an extra on the DVD?

In any case, I think it looked more likely he'd start something with the Ali Larter character.

• Love 2

I think that the beard was done so it will be a big drama moment when he shaves it.

I forgot to mention that I liked scenes with Ginny's friend and her husband. Nice to see one loving couple.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I think that the beard was done so it will be a big drama moment when he shaves it.

I forgot to mention that I liked scenes with Ginny's friend and her husband. Nice to see one loving couple.

Yes, it is refreshing to see a TV couple depicted this way, especially when the spouse is a famous baseball player. For the drama I'm glad they didn't go the toxic relationship/mistress route. I trust the writers to keep their relationship healthy.

• Love 6
On September 29, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Irlandesa said:

And to top it off, they had her address the rape case.  Up to that point, I really loved what they had been doing when it comes to expectations and her desire to fit in with her team, be a role model and then be asked about all issues related to sexism/gender.  I kind of would have preferred if she maybe didn't say anything about that case.  Not because it's not a worthy thing to talk about but to show her establishing boundaries for herself and being deliberate in what she will and will not address. 

I loved the agent tonight but I hated her backstory.  All this over her man leaving her after she couldn't conceive a child?  Yuck.   I don't know why the show had to give us flashbacks of all these pasts. 

It was clear that Ginny was overwhelmed, which is why she was asked if she needed a moment. I think she will learn down the road how to establish her boundaries, but she needed to get some things off of her chest. And we have some hints that she has experiences sexual harassment to some degree, so even though she may have not wanted to address it, it spilled out when she stated her opinion.

I liked the original idea of her just being ambitious, but I think the way her ex husband ended things and how rocked the very fabric of her world. We know she's good at what she does, but we don't know anything beyond that. It was really messed up and traumatizing how that went down. And, we don't even know for sure if she was the who was having the fertility issues (unless I missed something).

On September 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Danielg342 said:

Thanks for the manager bit. Yeah, it does sound like something the "laptop activists" would work themselves up into a lather about before everyone realizes it was just a bad slip of the tongue. Scary realistic that the manager would be in danger of losing his job over it- entertainment properties are already highly sensitive about this kind of stuff, and it's even worse now that the media essentially creates controversies by quoting (or misquoting) a few people on Twitter.

I didn't know she went on Kimmel to talk about Brock Turner. I must have missed it somehow. I'll agree, it sounds kind of forced- Turner's story obviously is troubling, but why would Ginny Baker feel like bringing it up? To establish some kind of "feminist street cred"? I'll be honest, if they go that route with her, I'll take a pass. Not because Baker being a feminist is a bad thing, but because if they turn Baker into some kind of activist it'll feel very heavy handed to me, as if FOX is trying to win some "progressive points" by having a character that panders to the Gawkers of the world who get too much attention to begin with.

No, please show- don't make Baker some kind of "feminist mouthpiece" that has to give an opinion on whatever "sexism of the week" that happens in the real world. Her being the first female baseball player in the Majors should be more than enough to make her a feminist icon.

The problem is: outside of Ginny, no one really knows if it's a bad slip of the tongue or not. Because, for example, maybe the fictional rapist in the show had a slip of the tongue that was brushed off, and then he goes out and rapes his teammate (I think). You can't (always) assume it's a slip with sexism, especially in a situation where a woman is occupying an area dominated by males. Conscious sexism or not, it's dangerous. 

It's obvious that Ginny doesn't want to be a feminist icon, so you don't have to worry about that. I think you're reading way too much into what happened. Ginny tried to back her coach, which Amelia shut down, and then you have the reporter asking her questions, her team is falling apart and she's the catalyst behind it, and other shit--and, again, I think she's experienced sexual harassment--so, Ginny addressing the situation is due to her being overwhelmed and just wanting to be done with it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Also, I doubt the show is going to use her to give an opinion on "sexism of the week", but as a woman, she IS going to experience that. And female players either are asked sexist questions or people try to force them to give an opinions sexist issues. It's unrealistic for that not to be a thing for Ginny. Furthermore, her being the first female player is the very reason they are going to ask her two cents.

On September 30, 2016 at 0:30 AM, Danielg342 said:

What I mean is that it's more of an indicator of a cultural problem than a real reflection on the speaker's character. It should be one of those things where "I'm sorry, I didn't realize what I had said" should be enough.

I don't think the guy is a bad due or anything, I really felt for him during the apology scene and when he said the internet passed him by, but that response is not enough. What if Ginny had felt uncomfortable and disrespected? This is a guy who has power over her, who she has to work with, who does a lot of important shit pertaining to the team and players. His intent doesn't negate the power of his words--you're not saying that, but when you hear shit like that about you, especially with her situation, it really isn't enough even when you choose to ignore it. It's something a line of shitty things said about you that you've developed a thick skin for. 

On September 30, 2016 at 0:40 PM, Maximum Taco said:

- Mixed Messages - Ginny is both being sold as "the boss" (her brother encourages her to shake off both catchers and her agent), but also as someone who needs to learn to rely on others (conversation with Lawson about her shaking off his signals.) Not saying both can't be true, but it's a little confusing to have both, seemingly contrary, messages in the same episode. Also she maintains she's not a spokeswoman, but an athlete, and then proceeds to make a statement on the rape case anyway. I don't know I wasn't a fan. She seems like she's flip flopping a lot; she seems like a people pleaser, but she also seems like a strong independent person. It's confusing, they need to get a little more firm with how they want her character to be.

Well, we've seen that her brother has good ideas, but not all of them are winners. lol. Ginny is the boss when it comes to her career, but that doesn't mean that she is boss on the field or that she shouldn't listen to others. I think there was some lines supporting her results not being where they should be by the baseball commentators. The other part, she's not trying to be a spokesperson, but she's trying to let people know who she is and how she feels about her situation and how she views other things that are similar to her career. I don't think she's a flip flopper, but insecure and is trying to learn how to navigate the pros.

On September 30, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Enero said:

And wouldn't going with Ginny/Lawson kind of undermine and cheapen the premise of the show? That's exactly what some people would expect to happen if a female recruit made a major league team, for her to get into a sexual relationship with one of her teammates. If they decide to go there, maybe they won't go all the way there because how it would be perceived. Maybe Ginny/Lawson will feel the attraction and some angst will be explored, but ultimately they'll choose to keep their feelings in check. 

How would it undermine the premise of the show: first female major league baseball player? I don't even see how it would cheapen the show either. 

Honestly, it happens--athletes get involved with one another because it's easier to deal with someone who "gets it" rather than having to explain yourself--especially for women. Ginny may or may not date a teammate, but if she did, I wouldn't be surprised because she is lonely and wants to comment with someone. I don't think she'd just do it to be with someone. But, if it did happen, it would have to be serious. 

• Love 4

Also I really, really want  Mario Lopez(who still looks 23 by the way) to show up on this show as a player from another team he can't stand. 

Oh my goodness, yes! Make it so, show! And then maybe Tiffani Amber-Thiessen can show up as his high school ex-girlfriend...

I'm starting to wonder with all the Lawson's bad knees and age talk that he might be set up to be the new manager.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Seems like they could be going there...

I really hope that Will is still in Ginny's life...they had a really cute sibling relationship. And again, would love to know where their mom is in all of this.

The smoldering kind of longing glance that Mike gave Ginny when she was dancing at the club had me thinking they might go there with those two. Which I wouldn't totally hate. They have pretty great chemistry. But also, the end of the episode totally means that Mike/Amelia did or are going to hook up? Right? Right. 

The scene where Al apologized to Ginny was really sweet, I thought. When he was talking about his daughters and all. I don;t think he hd any malicious intent when he brought up how Ginny is good-looking. I liked the twist of the super feminist TV anchor being Mike's ex wife, Love the actress playing her. Hope this isn't the last we see of her,

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

Also, I doubt the show is going to use her to give an opinion on "sexism of the week", but as a woman, she IS going to experience that. And female players either are asked sexist questions or people try to force them to give an opinions sexist issues. It's unrealistic for that not to be a thing for Ginny. Furthermore, her being the first female player is the very reason they are going to ask her two cents.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to make Ginny a feminist or for the show to have storylines where she's asked her opinion about all kinds of feminist issues- including stuff she probably might not care all that much about- and to see how she handles the pressure of living with the expectations of having to live up to feminist ideals. I think that would make amazing television.

I also think exploring feminist issues- especially in terms of sports- would be great for this show. I'd expect it, even. I just want depth and lots of angles to those storylines- I don't want the show to devolve into one long PSA parroting something the producer picked up from an activist's blog.

41 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

The problem is: outside of Ginny, no one really knows if it's a bad slip of the tongue or not. Because, for example, maybe the fictional rapist in the show had a slip of the tongue that was brushed off, and then he goes out and rapes his teammate (I think). You can't (always) assume it's a slip with sexism, especially in a situation where a woman is occupying an area dominated by males. Conscious sexism or not, it's dangerous. 

I don't think the guy is a bad due or anything, I really felt for him during the apology scene and when he said the internet passed him by, but that response is not enough. What if Ginny had felt uncomfortable and disrespected? This is a guy who has power over her, who she has to work with, who does a lot of important shit pertaining to the team and players. His intent doesn't negate the power of his words--you're not saying that, but when you hear shit like that about you, especially with her situation, it really isn't enough even when you choose to ignore it. It's something a line of shitty things said about you that you've developed a thick skin for. 

Attitudes change a lot slower than the laws do, and I firmly believe actions speak louder than words. If the manager brushed off Ginny's concerns and said "suck it up, Princess", his comments would be an indicator of something even more problematic with his character (on top of being downright disrespectful). On the other hand, if the manager worked with Ginny and did everything to prove that he can be better with her and with women in general, then the comments become a learning experience he grew from.

Besides, it's simply not productive to simply admonish people because they did one thing wrong. We have to give them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. Only when they haven't should they receive even harsher condemnation.

42 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

How would it undermine the premise of the show: first female major league baseball player? I don't even see how it would cheapen the show either. 

Honestly, it happens--athletes get involved with one another because it's easier to deal with someone who "gets it" rather than having to explain yourself--especially for women. Ginny may or may not date a teammate, but if she did, I wouldn't be surprised because she is lonely and wants to comment with someone. I don't think she'd just do it to be with someone. But, if it did happen, it would have to be serious. 

I think I'd rather wait until S2 (if we get one) for something like that to happen than for it to happen right away. This year should be all about her trying to fit in within MLB and the struggles that pertain to it- a relationship would muddy the waters too much, especially considering it'd be a significant conflict within the team (as there'd be more than a few players jealous she didn't pick them) and that should be an arc all by itself. I also don't think I'd want the storyline because it's too "easy" to do.

I'd also be worried about the unfortunate implications suggesting Ginny dating her teammates might suggest she's "using seduction to get ahead", and I'm not sure I'd want that to happen. So I say she should fully integrate into the team first before she starts dating a teammate.

• Love 5

@Danielg342 Well, that's why I said conscious sexism or not. The guy showed that he is trying to make progress, so it doesn't make him "bad" it just means he needs to work on being more aware of what he says. It even warmed my heart when he said his daughter being beautiful wasn't the best thing about her. Also, I don't think it's necessarily about one thing, but the context of that thing and his other behavior. This also is not about trying to condemn him either, which is why his apology was sufficient for her (and me). But, that is a PR disaster any way you slice it, especially with the other rumors (some are true) that are swirling around about the clubhouse.

Just to clarify, I'm speaking in general terms when I refer to romance or dating on the team, it's not specific to this season if it lasts more than one season (crosses fingers, knocks on wood).

ETA: I was referring to the "I'm sorry, I didn't realize what I said" when I said the response was not enough not his actual apologize. Re-reading my statement, it sounds like I'm contradicting myself.

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I think I'd rather wait until S2 (if we get one) for something like that to happen than for it to happen right away. This year should be all about her trying to fit in within MLB and the struggles that pertain to it- a relationship would muddy the waters too much, especially considering it'd be a significant conflict within the team (as there'd be more than a few players jealous she didn't pick them) and that should be an arc all by itself. I also don't think I'd want the storyline because it's too "easy" to do.

I'd also be worried about the unfortunate implications suggesting Ginny dating her teammates might suggest she's "using seduction to get ahead", and I'm not sure I'd want that to happen. So I say she should fully integrate into the team first before she starts dating a teammate.

I agree with everything you said but especially this. Though Ginny getting involved with a teammate would be just the type of drama this show might not be able to resist, I think it'd be more interesting if she either a) got involved with a player that was NOT on her team, or b) a person who was not involved with the game. In fact, the latter would be extremely interesting because they could explore what the girlfriend/boyfriend, spouse has to deal with when dating a professional athlete i.e. the distance, the game (coming first), the groupies (being a woman would Ginny have groupies vying for her attention?) etc. Perhaps she could eventually find that dating a fellow player is simpler, but dating someone outside of the game IMO is the more interesting route. 

All that said, I agree. I really don't think they should explore any romance with her until at the earliest S2. 

The smoldering kind of longing glance that Mike gave Ginny when she was dancing at the club had me thinking they might go there with those two.

It did sort of appear that he was giving her "the look." However, I wonder if it was something different. Ginny is at the top of the world right now. She's a rookie. She's good at the game. She's HEALTHY, and she's popular. She doesn't have a care in the world so to speak. Where as Lawson is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. He's still good at the game but he's no spring chicken (in relation to the game). He's not healthy, and he doesn't have his whole career ahead of him. In fact, he's in the twilight of his career.  As a result he's not so happy and carefree. He's reflecting on the past and concerned about his future. Ginny represents what WAS for him, not what will be. So apart of me wonders if that look was more melancholy about his long gone youth than an attraction. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 8
On 10/1/2016 at 9:47 PM, twoods said:

Yes, it is refreshing to see a TV couple depicted this way, especially when the spouse is a famous baseball player. For the drama I'm glad they didn't go the toxic relationship/mistress route. I trust the writers to keep their relationship healthy.

It was interesting they decided to go the loving couple route with these two. To be frank, most athletes cheat. So I'm wondering if this is a dynamic that's going to be explored in later episodes. I can even kind of picture an episode where Blip cheats and Ginny witnesses it and has to decide whether or not to tell her friend. Pro sports players are notoriously tight-lipped about protecting their teammates with that sort of thing, so her inner conflict would be interesting.

But that's a darker, more depressing side of pro sports so I hope they keep it light like this episode. Not that I actually paid attention to most of their scenes, they kind of bored me.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

I really really hope they don't go there with Ginny and Mike. I am such a sucker for platonic opposite sex professional friendships, and I can see these two making a great pair. 

I agree with @Enero that MIke was looking longingly at her and the group because he is starting to not fit in with the team as he wants a more settled life. As for the gym scenes, I saw it as more of a competition, and I have been watching tv long enough now that I think it was kind of a male gaze-y type thing that the camera was trying to get the audience to check Ginny out.

I was not a huge fan of the agent turning more to work after infertility and a divorce, it seemed too cliche and hokey to me. But I am willing to see where the story goes. And man, I just feel bad for Ginny's brother, between getting slapped in the face to make his sister do better and him giving up in this ep for her own good. Hopefully he comes back.

• Love 4
On 9/30/2016 at 10:07 PM, Enero said:

While it wasn't explicitly shown or stated that Will was out of her life, I got the impression that there is a disconnect there since he wasn't at her first game. Seem like I remember seeing her mother in the audience and wasn't featured in the present during the episode.

I'm hoping it could just be that they hadn't cast the actor for the pilot but that they did intend to develop Ginny's family in the longer time. We'll see I guess. I'm not sure how long ago the pilot was shot, before the rest of the season. If they went for it directly, never mind me. 

On 9/29/2016 at 10:52 PM, Sweets McGee said:

I'm still in, but thought this episode was pretty meh, especially the Blip subplot. I like the actor but he has no chemistry with his wife. Maybe she should really go for Mike Trout. :-P

This is definitely a YMMV situation -- I loved that part, especially when they were making out.  As others have said, that kind of deep, trusting, healthy relationship is rare, in stories and among athletes.  I'd like for them to keep it like that.

On 9/30/2016 at 6:44 AM, romantic idiot said:

I see this but it's so weird. From the scene, I somehow assumed that he was barren, not her. 

I think she commented because she should. Everyone should comment and condemn something like that. The fact that she wasn't felt like her playing politics. 

The last thing she said was very important, and it seems it got last in the "how much feminism is too much" discussion.  What she said was "We have to stop talking about women going into the wrong locker and teach boys not to rape."

On 9/30/2016 at 3:19 PM, DCLeague said:

You could chose to see it that way or you could see it as that he was just checking out his competition. We saw the training montage where they were one upping each other.  When he saw that she was doing weights, he began to do weights as well.

The part that sold it as a competition and ("Yeah, I can do that!) was him doing those "jump-down-push-up" things. "I'm not worn to a frazzle; really I'm not."

I wish that Ginny had told Al to mention his daughter instead of reading a statement.  That was powerful and sent the right message.

• Love 7

A) Was Lawson's ex-wife the woman who wanted Ginny to speak out about the campus rape? It's a soap opera. I guess their budget wasn't big enough for one extra character non-involved with someone else in the cast.

B) Same budgetary concerns for him hooking up with Amelia?

C) How "realistic" (for lack of a better word) would it be for a person like Ginny to go on to a late night talk show and totally go off script, and the host being perfectly okay with it?

D) Real-life broadcasters playing themselves are notoriously bad actors. The fact that they are given ridiculously cliched lines to read doesn't help.

1 hour ago, Ron Kaplan said:

C) How "realistic" (for lack of a better word) would it be for a person like Ginny to go on to a late night talk show and totally go off script, and the host being perfectly okay with it?

D) Real-life broadcasters playing themselves are notoriously bad actors. The fact that they are given ridiculously cliched lines to read doesn't help.

I think most host want to get them off script. At least off of the script the guest publicist sent them into the show to push. Some host are better than others at improv and are willing to go with it. Their world is more hit or miss than an actor who is hired to get on base with every line spoken. Staying with  baseball terms they may strike out more often but when they connect it is often for the home run.

• Love 1

People going off script tend to care viral momenta. Jimmy would have been thrilled because they are going to show that clip on all the morning programs, sports programs, and entertainment programs, not to mention watching on YouTube.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ron Kaplan said:

A) Was Lawson's ex-wife the woman who wanted Ginny to speak out about the campus rape? It's a soap opera. I guess their budget wasn't big enough for one extra character non-involved with someone else in the cast.

Yes, Lawson's ex-wife confronted Ginny and wanted her to talk about it.  I don't think this is a matter of budget, though. When they cast her, they said the character was recurring so I imagine she'll show up both in her role as Lawson's ex-wife and as a media/TV personality. Showing her in both roles in this episode helped establish who she is.

14 hours ago, Ron Kaplan said:

Most talk show appearances begin with a pre-interview where a producer will talk with a star to get topics of conversation and hear potential stories they can tell.  I would guess a majority of guests pretty much follow that plan because this is about carefully arranged PR.  Some don't. (I think I remember someone like Jerry Seinfeld saying he doesn't do them because he's a comedian very experienced at being a talk show guest.)  And I know Craig Ferguson preferred to not pre-plan interviews so he would absolutely welcome off-the-cuff talk.  But I imagine other hosts like having a plan and would be made nervous by a guest suddenly deciding to go off script.  Plus, the writers probably had spent some time coming up with the game and might be disappointed that their work was shelved.

That said, no competent talk show host would show that they're frustrated by her changing the plan even if they really were.  Dealing with awkwardness is part of the job.  They would act like Jimmy did here even if he were frustrated.

• Love 1

I didn't get the romance vibe until Lawson was clearly checking out Ginny on the dance floor and was so uncomfortable that he left and immediately considered picking up her agent in the bar instead. I don't think they'll go a romantic route with them until at least season 2 (if it makes it there).

I find the show really uneven. The pilot--the fact that she would get a second chance was really hard to buy given how completely awful she did. I'd also like Ginny to have more of a personality. I hated the agent's unnecessary cliche of a backstory (She can't have kids! Of course she must find fulfillment some other way!) that was sketchy reasoning/coincidental at best (I don't quite buy this movie/entertainment agent would even give a minor league female ballplayer a second look.) Lawson strikes a few odd notes from time to time as well. When he's trying overly hard to be charming, it doesn't work for me (MIke Lawson, you are no Zach Morris.) Also the show says he's 36 when MPG is 42 in real life and really looks it with that awful beard. Bad knees on a catcher at 42 is different from a catcher at 36 (which is still aging for baseball). I also don't love what they're doing with the manager. Shouldn't he be concerned with the team being more unifying and treating Ginny fairly? Maybe he doesn't really want her there, but when he started the "I have 3 daughters" I expected a bit more realization on his part--not for him to circle right back around and emphasize her prettiness over her talent yet again.

I do like Blip and his wife, and Ginny's brother (though I don't get what the deal is with her family. Is her mom alive? Is the brother alive but estranged?) Why have we not seen her interacting with them instead of/in addition to Ghost Dad previously? And I liked the way they dovetailed both her commenting on the manager and the Florida rape case on Kimmel even if it was unrealistic/totally awkward.

All that being said, it's a show about a woman taking on a man's world. We don't have enough of those. I'll keep watching.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, taragel said:

I find the show really uneven. The pilot--the fact that she would get a second chance was really hard to buy given how completely awful she did.

She was awful that 1st game, but she would still be a draw.  The Padres don't draw big gates, no offense to Padres fans, even when they got to the World Series in 1998, they weren't a big draw.  They just don't draw the crowds that the Dodgers and Giants do, partly because they don't have the history those 2 franchises have.  The owner's going to want to make money and get more coverage, so giving Ginny a second chance makes perfect sense.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Jediknight said:

She was awful that 1st game, but she would still be a draw.  The Padres don't draw big gates, no offense to Padres fans, even when they got to the World Series in 1998, they weren't a big draw.  They just don't draw the crowds that the Dodgers and Giants do, partly because they don't have the history those 2 franchises have.  The owner's going to want to make money and get more coverage, so giving Ginny a second chance makes perfect sense.

She was so bad in that first game that you would expect the MLB commissioner to step in if every performance were that bad and she had not quit or her manager had not pulled her out. That could have had her throw one strike the general baseball convention would have been for the lead off hitter not to swing no matter what was thrown up at that point.

On 10/6/2016 at 4:49 PM, Raja said:

She was so bad in that first game that you would expect the MLB commissioner to step in if every performance were that bad and she had not quit or her manager had not pulled her out. That could have had her throw one strike the general baseball convention would have been for the lead off hitter not to swing no matter what was thrown up at that point.

That was the thing for me. She was so unrelentlessly terrible, it was over the top. Girl's been a pitcher in the minors for a few years--and she has to know how much is on her shoulders--I just couldn't believe it was one wild pitch after another ten times in a row. I get that it was a panic attack, but she has to be able to deal with some pressure to have made it that far. Some muscle memory should have kicked in at some point and she could've thrown like one or two good pitches in the midst of a string of bad ones. Or even if the bad ones hadn't been quite so hugely out of the strike zone. 

Rationally I get why an owner would want to keep her if she's getting all that attention, but even that only works for me to a point. Because if women were such amazing draws, talented indie female ballplayers would be asked to join the majors (or minors) a heck of a lot more often, eh? 

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2

I was fine with this episode overall, but the scene with her agent and the assistant quitting their jobs when they saw Ginny on TV was incredibly dumb. They really should've gotten a better backstory and devoted an episode to it, or waited to decide to tell us what happened. That was just ridiculous and thrown in there.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, Danielg342 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Dodgers in the Pilot were in San Diego, while in this episode the Padres traveled to L.A.

Anyway, I know how the baseball schedule works...I'm just saying it's a bit repetitive to have, two episodes in a row, the same team featured twice. The writers didn't necessarily have to make that choice but they did.

When I was at PETCO, I heard all over the place how much they hate the Dodgers. There's a natural rivalry they're playing with and I like that they're using it.

• Love 2