Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Privileged Information

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Even though it involved eyeroll inducing gender stereotypes, the scene between Gibbs and Fornell when Gibbs arrives to a candlelight dinner was just pure gold; I was cracking up. I would pay money to watch them in an odd couple comedy. They play off each other so well. 

I recognized the building maintenance guy (though I couldn't remember the actor's name) and figured he would probably be involved somehow. Wish we had gotten some more undercover action-- loved Gibbs in those glasses. 

There were a lot of people in this episode but they managed to spread the story around well and I thought everyone was used pretty well. I'm not sure why we also needed a parrot on top of all that, but whatever. 

They had a nice tribute slide to Gary Glasberg at the end of the episode, though I think it was the same thing that was posted online. I wonder if they will do something else when they get to the end of the episodes he produced. 

Yay, putting the Navy(ship) back into NCIS next week! 

• Love 7

Great mix of humor and murder and red herrings and a green parrot. I pretty much guessed the villain from the start since supers are usually fat, cigar-smoking guys in undershirts.  This guy was too good-looking and had too much presence to just be a minor character.  But I didn't guess the motive or how it went down.  And as usual...Bishop screws it up again by shoving her badge in the bum's face.

It's fun watching the new agents and old agents getting to know each other.  Agree with catray that even though there were a lot of characters (including the shrink) everyone got decent screen time.

• Love 4

Aside from the Gibbs/Fornell domestic scene this episode was a miss for me.  I know I probably sound like a broken record by now but I can't stand Quinn, or more specifically the actress who plays her.  She's terrible and every time she's on screen she ruins the flow of the scene for me because she's such a bad actress.

• Love 2

I Floved the Gibbs/fornell scenes! I didn't guess that the power was out until Gibbs complained that the beer was warm, but thought the whole setup was awesome.

I too guessed the super was involved, but didn't know how.

The rest of the episode was okay but not great. I generally like Jennifer Esposito (Quinn) but I dunno, there's something off about her character. She doesn't interact much with the rest of the team.

• Love 4

I'm neutral about Quinn. I don't think she's a bad actress, I just think they haven't quite worked out what to do with her yet. NCIS has always had the same number of characters who played off of each other, but now they've added another ball to the juggling act. It takes time to adjust. I can see what they're doing - adding a mature woman to provide a little more dimension, and a female peer for Gibbs, but they just haven't quite gotten there yet.

I like the new guy, and am surprised that I don't really miss Tony.

14 hours ago, catray said:

I'm not sure why we also needed a parrot on top of all that, but whatever. 

I think it was solely so the new guy could make a movie joke. And provide additional embarrassment for Jimmy.

I loved the Gibbs/Fornell scene too - I don't mind that they used stereotypical gender roles because, to me anyway, it seemed as if the characters (not just the writers) were consciously goofing around.

• Love 5

It felt a bit crammed because in addition to Quinn and Torres there were also Fornell and Confalone (who I both like). Loved how Confalone saved Gibbs from telling Quinn how they met: "We worked on a case together. Very tough patient." And Bishop in turn explaining about rule 17 to her.

The only thing I did not mind was Quinn talking to the dead victim. Probably because the other week I caught a re-run of the episode where Jaime Lee Curtis' super-spook-shrink character does the same thing (not to mention Ducky all the time). It just felt weirdly tagged on as a character trait.

And while I enjoy the odd couples scenes I think it's about time Fornell remembers he's also a father (I know Emily's been taken care of for the time being but still) and gets off that sofa.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, catray said:

I'm not sure why we also needed a parrot on top of all that, but whatever. 

So we can have the moment where the parrot does a wolf whistle when Gibbs walks into the lab for the first time. I had to rewind and make sure I wasn't hearing things. It's the little things that keep me happy. 

Speaking of Gibbs, I was so distracted by that plaid shirt he was wearing during his Odd Couple moments with Fornell. I think I have a tablecloth that's close to that plaid. 

• Love 3

I still like Quinn.  I find her competent, solid, professional, and normal.  She doesn't speak ten languages.  Her father's not the head of any intelligence agency.  She likely can't kill someone in fifty different ways, but yet I think she interacts well with everyone.  She lends an air of authority and experience, but she's a team player as well.

I like that Tim's embracing his SFA role and learning how to manage people more and more.  His deal with Torres about the windbreaker (Torres has to wear it when Gibbs is around) was a good way to get Torres to build trust in Tim.

When Grace suggested that Fornell move out because Gibbs' house is where Fornell got shot. I wanted to yell "Bite your tongue!"  Realistic or not, I don't care!  I hope Gibbs and Fornell remain roomies for the entire season!

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

So we can have the moment where the parrot does a wolf whistle when Gibbs walks into the lab for the first time. I had to rewind and make sure I wasn't hearing things. It's the little things that keep me happy. 

When the "hidden" parrot was saying "Don't tell Gibbs," and Gibbs pulled the cover off his cage, I could have sworn the parrot said "Uh-oh!"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TeapotDiva said:

When the "hidden" parrot was saying "Don't tell Gibbs," and Gibbs pulled the cover off his cage, I could have sworn the parrot said "Uh-oh!"

He did.

1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

When Grace suggested that Fornell move out because Gibbs' house is where Fornell got shot. I wanted to yell "Bite your tongue!"  Realistic or not, I don't care!  I hope Gibbs and Fornell remain roomies for the entire season!

I think you'll get your wish. At least I hope so ?

• Love 4

Has any mention of Torres' sister been made so made since he first appeared? She was in critical condition but still alive, right? I get that the show is going lighter but the character was the introduced with a tragedy that seems to have been forgotten. I know he's been undercover. But they care enough about each other to have in touch  in the first place. She hired someone to find him and he came to warn her. Am I missing something? 

• Love 1

Decent episode, but not super great.  Basically Gibbs/Fornell saved it.  Those two just play off each other so very well.  It's pretty much comedy gold all the time.  Also liked how Fornell kept trying to interject himself into the case.  And like him, I also thought government contractor dude was behind it all. 

Other than that, it was pretty much "meh".  I originally liked Quinn in the season opener.  Though now I am kinda wondering what she is supposed to be doing as part of the team.  Maybe her character will be given a bit more background later.  Torres I was more lukewarm on in the beginning, but the last two episodes I thought he has been very good.  Definitely like him more than Quinn at this point.  Did they say he would take that apartment now that a murder had taken place inside it?  ;)

One little touch I did like.  The victim was a watch person.  I like watches too.  Typically wear the watch that goes best with whatever outfit I choose to wear that day.  And I like it had something to do with the case.  Except I thought the watch thing would have determined it was a body double going up on that roof in that tape, not the victim herself.   Especially since they never tried to get a close up of that person's face in that grainy video.

Have to admit, the parrot thing was kinda cute.   Though I wonder how the heck it could escape from her lab and fly all the way up to the office area. 

Anyway, I generally liked the episode.  But mostly for Fornell/Gibbs scenes.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2016 at 7:26 PM, Ohmo said:

I like that Tim's embracing his SFA role and learning how to manage people more and more.  His deal with Torres about the windbreaker (Torres has to wear it when Gibbs is around) was a good way to get Torres to build trust in Tim.

ohhhh. I thought he was asking him to put on his vest, not the jacket! This makes more sense!

Decent episode except for the fact that there was too much McGee.  To me Sean Murray is such a blah actor that he brings down the energy of most any scene he is in.  I also thought McGee came off as whiny when he bargaining with Torres.  It came off as Torres managing him rather than vice versa.  Here's hoping that things go back to the way they were the first two episodes when McGee's screen time was cut back from what it had been in seasons 12 and 13.  

Edited by camussie

I'm rather relieved that the two new people here are ok.  I miss Tony, but these two aren't causing me to drive nails in my eyes like that horrible, horrible chick on NCIS:NO.  It did seem like there was too much going on and I agree with camussie that more McGee just doesn't work.  He's not that great a leader.  

In rewatching this ep., I was very surprised that a certain blond agent all but said "I'm not dating anybody, I'm recently divorced."  This was a missed opportunity to lead into a future arc.  Missed, big time.

• Love 1