Type keyword(s) to search

No Tomorrow - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, BooBear said:

So no one watched the new episode last night? Nice to see Xavier and his dad make up.  This show does inspire me. 

Not much to talk about, it's why they merged the episode topics which usually happens with low activity for the show forums.

If the show ends after 1 season, I hope they end with the meteor coming towards Earth. Even if it gets renewed, it could just graze the Earth and then Season 2 could be about Xavier being some kind of international celebrity.

• Love 5
On 12/30/2016 at 8:23 AM, ketose said:

If the show ends after 1 season, I hope they end with the meteor coming towards Earth. Even if it gets renewed, it could just graze the Earth and then Season 2 could be about Xavier being some kind of international celebrity.

I would kind of love that ending. It sounds dark, but it could be cool if they have Evie and Xavier complete their lists and have no regrets left. But the show must have some plan to address the world not ending, since they would have anticipated needing a season 2 when they pitched the show. 

I thought Evie was sort of overreacting with breaking up with Xavier. Yes, he lied, but it was a dark period in his life and he came around to talk to her about it the next day. I understand him not wanting to talk right when she confronted him.

There was a show that aired over the summer, about an asteroid hitting the earth. It ended as the asteroid struck, and then was cancelled--  much to my disappointment. I can't remember the name of the show, but it had leading roles by Jenna Fisher and Rob Lowe, and a bunch of British actors whose names I don't know. Megan Mullaly was also in it. Does anyone remember the name of the show?

If the asteroid hits on No Tomorrow, maybe it could be a tiny one-- not a cataclysm, so Xaviar's calculations were all correct except for the size.

I guess it depends on whether the entire first season was done filming at the time that CW effectively cancelled the show by announcing that it would not be getting a full season pick up.  If it wasn't finished shooting, they could have altered the ending.  If the show isn't coming back, I wouldn't be opposed to an ending where Evie and Xavier are holding each other, with an enormous meteor in the sky.  Just like the ending in a recent movie

for Jyn and Cassian in Rogue One.

I liked the recent episode.  It was nice to see Xavier and his dad make up.  However, I loathe everything there is to loathe about Timothy Finger.  The character is unappealing, the actor is unappealing, the storyline is unappealing.  His schtick is not funny at all.  We're supposed to believe that this guy is supposed to be one of the hottest internet technology writers today?  Huge fail.

Last night's episode was a little bumpy for me:  I liked the dueling pianos, not the fistfight after, but I did like that the fistfight had consequences. 

I liked Evie calling out Xavier on the possibility of a tomorrow, and Xavier's "I don't do love triangles."

The wedding, where they were both wearing the pantsuits, was nicely done; I'm glad it wasn't Evie's wedding.  

The only other thing I wondered about--it takes a LONG time to get a pilot's license, and contrary to the stereotype, you don't just pick up a plane and go.  You file a flight plan, and check a lot of very detailed weather maps--all so you don't die.  Random choices can happen, but it's not like a road trip.  (They don't show this on TV because it's boring, but very necessary.)

• Love 1

When Xavier did the demo for Timothy and revealed that his theory hinged on global warming causing the asteroid to hit the earth I thought "Oh, so he IS a deluded crackpot after all!" But apparently next week reputable astronomers are actually going to take his theory seriously?

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, although I don't find anything about the cousin remotely funny. 

I am going to miss this show when it ends.  There's so many times that I laugh out loud.

Hank's list of who to join him in the bunker included these rejected possibilities along with the reason why he was rejecting them.
Chauncey  -  IBS  [irritable bowel syndrome]
@WinnieCooper  -  no chemistry
Vin Diesel  -  has own bunker
Peggy  -  Loud Eater
Mikhail  -  Russian
Xavier  -  too much cologne

I also love the occasional one liners.   Kareema: "Can you dress up as a petulant 34 year old Indian man and forgive me?"  Evie:  "I could try... but it would probably come off as racist."

• Love 2

I missed the episode last night, but I saw the scene with Evie and Timothy in bed. I was wondering what happened for hours until I watched the replay online.

So, I take it things aren't going well ratings-wise. It looks like no hiatus and they're going to burn through the 13 order like the asteroid will burn through the atmosphere.

Hoping that since the season is ending early, CW's deal with Netflix means it will be available before they have to make a final decision/announcement about renewal, and that people will discover it there and it will catch on and change its fortunes. Yeah, I hope for a lot.

• Love 2

I like that Evie was able to say it's not all about them, and that she was offended by the fight at the piano place. I like that she has kind of a sunny, fluffy persona, but in another way she's a responsible adult and more stable than most of the other characters on the show.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2017 at 7:18 PM, justmehere said:

Hoping that since the season is ending early, CW's deal with Netflix means it will be available before they have to make a final decision/announcement about renewal, and that people will discover it there and it will catch on and change its fortunes. Yeah, I hope for a lot.

If the show had any chance, the CW wouldn't have aired a new episode on December 27. That's pretty much a death knell.

It's a shame because it's a fun show. 

The ending was frustrating.  I don't understand why 1) Xavier didn't call Evie to tell her he was coming to the airport (did something happen to his cell phone that I missed?); 2) he didn't just take a cab to the airport and instead had to lug his whole trailer; 3) his cousin drugged him.  Timothy didn't find out from Tyra DeNeil Fields that the theory was correct until after the cousin had already drugged Xavier, so the cousin couldn't be working with him.

Cousin wore out his welcome long ago, I don't like that character at all.

Next week is likely the series finale.  I hope there is some closure and it doesn't just have an open ending.  Unfortunately, it seems likely things aren't going to be resolved, as I'm sure they were hoping when filming to get a full season.  Once again, as with many shows that I have liked that just get cancelled, I will have to make up my own ending.  Le sigh.

21 hours ago, ketose said:

If the series ends after one season, the only satisfying finale for me is the asteroid hitting. It's kind of dark, but it would provide serious closure.

If there is actual closure, that could happen, but with a cutaway before seeing everything destroyed.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I admit I did not see it coming AT ALL that Xavier would be right.
 It just really didn't occur to me that they would go there.

I thought they might, but wondered how they'd make that work. Xavier finding a way to divert it is a great solution -- our main character isn't crazy and there is an asteroid, but the world CAN be saved.

The finale was okay, but a little unsatisfying. I don't know that making THE announcement at the end was necessary.

Also, how is it that they have 4 months? Even the Ion Shepherd idea (which they can't do) only had about a 10 day window. The closer that thing gets, the more impossible it will be to stop it. But hey, we'll never know what happens anyway.

Edited by ketose

I don't know if making THE announcement made sense. Do they really think people knowing the government is frantically working on a way to stop it will keep things calm?

The cute doctor was adorable. I would have liked to see him with Evie.

Except, how do they choose a time to announce such a thing? People would go crazy at first, no matter what the time frame. Even if they said they had a way to handle it, it's still just theory until they actually succeed. They can't wait until the last minute and say, "We've been frantically working for months, but, sorry, you only have a week to live." They of course would want to keep working as long as possible, but at some point, they have to announce to give people time to do whatever it is they would want to do at the end of their lives. A few months -- while telling people they still hope to divert or destroy the thing -- seems reasonable.

Well, one long-shot show that I watch just got renewed despite horrible looking numbers (Good Behavior on TNT) because the network considered more than same-day views. So I'm still holding some hope here for renewal, given that it should pop up on Netflix pretty soon and could gain viewers. If not, I still enjoyed it. My only gripe was that the charming relationship between Evie and Xavier basically disappeared weeks ago. It certainly needed to be more than weekly bucket-list fulfillment, but separating them so much hurt the story, IMO. I did like the new doc, but I'd hate a triangle, and I liked Evie and Xavier together.

• Love 1

Well, this show (presumably) ended the way it deserved to end... as a total trainwreck. The sad thing is there was so much potential if the writers and executives could figure out what the fork they wanted this show to be.

6 hours ago, justmehere said:

Except, how do they choose a time to announce such a thing?

I agree, there's no good time or way to announce something like this. I want to hear that there are some specific steps that will be taken to try to prevent the meteor from hitting earth, rather than "We're thinking!"

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ae2 said:

Well, this show (presumably) ended the way it deserved to end... as a total trainwreck. The sad thing is there was so much potential if the writers and executives could figure out what the fork they wanted this show to be.

I think a big problem is also making this into an hour long show instead of the usual half hour comedy, it's why we end up with filler or in this case ott antics fill up screen time.

I'm going to miss it. 

I think it ended in its own way--dealing with an impossible situation.  You've got a show about the world ending, you don't know if the show is coming back at the time of filming (probably not, but it's the CW, so you can't be 100% sure and just end the series.)  You're trying to do things affordably, and, as noted, there was no clarity as to whether this was a comedy or light drama or what.

The actors did their best with that, and some of the writing was good:  you had closure on the ex-boyfriend getting a happy new direction, the baby hazmat suit was cute, and if the world doesn't end, Evie and Xavier are going in relatively good directions (and if it does/did, they went putting good dents in their lists.)

I think there's a writer who will go on to better things, possibly all of them if they go in different directions and get opportunity to be more consistent.  Or they'll be back in the summer of 2018 for a six-week "one year later" series, because it's the CW.

Thanks for the ride; I had fun. 

• Love 4

I'm going to miss this show a lot too.  It really did feel like a (likely) series finale, especially with the flashbacks of some of their adventures.  Xavier and Evie are each doing their own thing and living their lives.  On the rare chance that the show gets renewed, it's like he says, if he manages to save the world in 4 months time, he would return and see how things go.

Hated everything about the doctor.  He was just Timothy Version 2.0.  All of the lines he said sounded exactly like something that would come out of Timothy's mouth.  If the show continued there would of course be a triangle when Evie and Gordon got transferred back by DWB to Seattle after coupling in the Philippines and run into a just-returned Xavier.  The Xavier-Evie-Timothy triangle was the worst part of this show.

I enjoyed Evie saying goodbye to Kareema, Hank and Deirdre.  Loved their interactions.  I have to wonder why Deirdre is so sure the baby is Hank's and why he was so instantly accepting that it is his.  She was with that "three times lucky" guy for quite a bit of time and there's no reason not to believe that it could be his.  I guess though if I am going to suspend disbelief that a 50 year old woman could get pregnant so easily, I will just have to handwave them automatically accepting that it is Hank's.

Hope Joshua Sasse gets a good role on a secure show.  He's charming and charismatic, although the mountain man beard is a bit out of control.  I'd love to see the actress who played Evie on another show again soon too, even if I never did ever learn her name.

• Love 2

Assuming the series is over, there are 2 short post-mortem questions.

Didn't Xavier get this asteroid theory from someone else?

No one else on earth figured it out in the 4 months since Xavier met Evie and the asteroid got a lot closer?

10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I agree, there's no good time or way to announce something like this. I want to hear that there are some specific steps that will be taken to try to prevent the meteor from hitting earth, rather than "We're thinking!"

I feel like the announced it to set up a potential season 2. It would be a bit of a reboot where instead of just Evie and Xavier trying to complete their bucket list, you have everyone doing it. Probably some in less positive ways, but who knows if the show wanted to get that dark.

But I think there's no reason for the government to ever announce it. If there is something people can do to prepare that will spare them, sure. But if everyone is just going to die when the asteroid hits, why even tell people? They'll get to live normal lives until it happens and not worry. The government doesn't have to worry about increased crime and destruction that would inevitably happen.

• Love 1

Count me in as someone who will miss this show.  I was totally charmed by it and the actors. I was always entertained by the show.  Evie was adorable as was everyone she was surrounded by.  And Joshua Sasse.  Well.  Ahem.  I would watch him read a phone book.  Just sayin'.  

I thought all of the actors were tremendous and will miss seeing their characters develop in future storylines.  Not sure why the show didn't catch fire, because I felt it had a uniqueness to it, but also was cozily familiar.  

• Love 6

The uniqueness is probably the biggest strike against it. Cute quirky shows that are hard to pigeonhole almost always get axed; it's a miracle Sasse's previous series actually got a second season. (This year's miracle seems to be the renewal of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, whose ratings are even more abysmal than this show's.)

• Love 3

They should probably rename the network the DCW. One Vampire Diaries goes, it will mostly be superheroes and weird soap operas like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin. I actually liked the hour long episodes on No Tomorrow because they could have a full story. 

• Love 1

What amazed me was that they made me go from utter repulsion toward Timothy Finger in the pilot to liking and rooting for him by the end. They had to change his personality and behavior substantially to do it, but I don't ever recall feeling that big a positive turnaround toward a character before.

• Love 2

I really disliked that Dr. she kept running into. I figured she would run into him again while going to the Philippines. 

This was an entertaining show. I was wondering how they were going to continue after getting hit or not getting hit by the asteroid. 

So, I just watched the Epilogue to the series (link in the media topic). It was really sweet and funny, like the show. Especially loved:

Spoiler

That a single from Finger and the Noise was used on a future season of Supernatural.

That Hank and Dierdre stayed together

That Xavier and Evie each found individual success

And most especially, that they reconnected. That bit looked like it was filmed later - very cool of them to do.

And I'm sad all over again that this delightful show didn't find an audience.

• Love 4
(edited)

So I was way late to this party... saw the first episode on a plane a couple weeks ago and Netflix-binged the rest of it when I got home.  It's cute!  Sorry it's canceled...

But as an actual scientist I have to say: OMG, THAT IS SO NOT HOW PEER REVIEW WORKS, GUYS!  The way you "prove" something is not to take the most famous figure in a field and have them personally read your theory and then everyone will think it's good!  You write a paper, you submit it to a journal, the journal finds 2-3 other scientists to read it and then you have to respond to each of those comments (or the editor can say "this sucks, we're not going to publish it").  Especially in physics, arxiv.org I'm pretty sure accepts non-peer-reviewed manuscripts (that of course ideally will then be submitted for peer review), if you REALLY COULDN'T FIND any editor who would send his manuscript to reviewers (sometimes that happens if it's really bad-- I don't think that would be this case, though his attitude of "I'm right I'm right listen to me!" instead of "I've run some simulations and I've found this, here's my work and I look forward to hearing the reviewers' comments since you'll see this regards an issue of urgent societal relevance" probably wouldn't help).  I was waiting for the point when he reconciled with his dad, who had been established as a respected mathematics professor (and thus probably knows something about peer review, if not orbital mechanics, which I would buy), and showed him the manuscript and that would help him prove/disprove it... but that never happened, which was weird.  Also was Xavier supposed to be trained in math/physics?  I wanted to know more about that.  At the very least he would have grown up around a university setting, so how he didn't know how theories get proven is beyond me.  We can barely get anyone to do anything about frigging climate change, and the lines of evidence (so, so many) there are WAY stronger than any one simulation of an asteroid trajectory...

Second, what even was that program he was using to simulate asteroid impacts?  You know that NASA actually is on that, right?  And I assume they have similar calculations (though maybe not such a nice GUI... which my question is still unanswered where did he get that code??).  So he probably even could avoid the whole peer review thing and just email those guys and be like "hey, there's this asteroid which I'm sure you know is in your database... I'm running some simulations and because of [XYZ but not theta] I'm coming up with results that show an impact; could you look over my work or maybe cross-compare it with the information you guys have to see if this is the same result?"  Scientists are busy but generally like to be helpful (unless you come off as a crazy... we only have so many hours in a day).

THAT SAID... suspension of disbelief etc etc this is far from the first show to fuck up how science works (BBT... Bones...)  I thought it had a really sweet underlying message, about the balance between living for the future and living as if there is no future (the two leads); the parents grated a bit but otherwise it actually did a decent job balancing between workplace and ...non-workplace? comedy.  And hey I'm not going to argue with Joshua Sasse taking off his shirt at least once an episode for seemingly no reason.  We should get a beard-tervention up on him though.  Just a little bit.

Oh, and y'all should definitely see an aurora sometime in your lives if you haven't.  Omg, amaaaaaahzing.  (but you need >1 night there, it's not always visible, because space weather and also clouds.)  Which also reminds me how bummed I am that I will be out of the country for the eclipse in August... see it!!

Edited by rabidchipmnk
  • Love 3

Ha, yeah.  Or *cringe* was evangelizing about his new religion that is definitely the right religion PLEASE LISTEN IT'S IMPORTANT FOR YOUR LIVES. (...I may be a bit sensitive to those who equate "trust in the scientific process" with "oh that's just another kind of religion" /sigh  Representations like this don't help.)

• Love 1

Watched the epilogue and I was happy to see that

Evie and Xavier met up again, and that she seemed very happy to see him.  I'm going to take that to mean the two of them reconnect and have a relationship without the craziness of an impending asteroid destruction.

I hope Joshua Sasse and the female lead (I still don't know her name) find work on other series.

• Love 2

I found this on netflix tonight, and it was just the kind of show I was looking for. Light and silly, for the most part. 

I don't really like the ex, because he reminds me of a guy who semi-stalked me, he kept trying to ambush me into a date. 

Xavier, I can see why she likes him, until he emails her boss. He shouldn't even do that if they were married. He would be good to have a little fun with, but he has some growing up to do. 

I don't like that the boss is such a caricature. It's like they're trying to reproduce "Chuck" with the workplace silliness, but it didn't work for me.