Type keyword(s) to search

No Tomorrow - General Discussion

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

This was the first episode and only episode I ever saw. Never even heard of it before. 

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I thought it was good silly fun. 

Of course you have to understand every episode is like this and nothing really happens. They just have good silly fun.  But AV club gave it an A- so I guess I am just a grump.

2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

This was the first episode and only episode I ever saw. Never even heard of it before. 

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I thought it was good silly fun. 

Of course, after sitting through an episode of "The Flashes," just about anything is good silly fun...

It's an okay show, it's fun, but it hasn't really found itself yet. It's not wholly silly, it's nowhere near serious. It's not laugh out loud funny, nor has it committed to the end of the world stuff. Nothing wrong with any of this, we've only had 2 hours of show time so far, but I totally get why it doesn't get a whole lot of love.

Okay, and the biggest problem as mentioned above, is the side characters. The two leads are good, mostly likable, most everyone else could be dumped. Like Evie's ex... wtf are we doing wasting time on him? It's too early in the show to give a side character (especially the ex???) the unrelated story he had this episode.

(And I'll say for like the 47th time... if they cut down on the annoying side characters and some trivial plot points, and made this a half hour show where Evie does crazy fun things with Xavier while questioning his sanity, it could be 1,000 times better.)

They've done a great job with continuity so far (three episodes, but you know). Lots of little details in the episode that referenced things that happened in the first two episodes. 

• Love 3

I really am still enjoying the show, but really only the interaction between Evie and Xavier, and her co-workers Hank, Curly Hair, and Deirdre.  I truly can't stand Timothy, his character is useless and desperate and not funny at all.  The dad is useless as well.

I am enjoying the little moments that really make me laugh out loud.  The cake fight (complete with "Cake By the Ocean") was unexpected and utterly hilarious.

• Love 1

My other biggest issue with this show is that aside from the very serious love developing between the protagonists, literally every other person and relationship is a caricature.  

What a shame.  The concept could and should work very well.  Not with these showrunners.

Agreed, they're just a bunch of ott random quirks.  Other shows like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend at least have some sort of hook like Jane's telenovela styled story of Jane's motherhood or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's musical numbers that basically tells us about the characters and their situation or actual realized side characters.

Who didn't realize exactly what was going to happen when they saw that big wall of boxes between the two warring departments?

I did like that Xavier's smoothness utterly abandoned him when face to face with his fantasy celebrity. (Though, hasn't Amy Brenneman been happily married for a couple of decades? Seems like that would be a pretty big obstacle to a threesome with random strangers, so she declined that proposition a lot more gracefully than I would have in her situation.)

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Who didn't realize exactly what was going to happen when they saw that big wall of boxes between the two warring departments?

This episode was terrible. They are so desperate with the supporting cast. The boss and underling romance is soooo painful. The Russian guy (where have I seen him?) was so painful. I actually watched most of this switching on and off. Timothy almost had an interesting plot... almost.

I will say I enjoyed the Amy Brenneman thing. Not only because she is so obscure to most people... but then she showed up. She must be friends with Joshua Sasse. Good for you Amy.  And now we have a fun trivia question for game night.

Who really believes that Xander can't "have fun" because he is so into Evie? Ok, whatever CW. Keep those monogamy fantasies going.  Jenna Tatum was very underused. She must also be a Sasse friend.

ETA

Brenneman's husband is an EP on the show. I liked how Xavier and Evie were so turned on having sex while Judging Amy was on TV. Hee.

Oh ok. Makes sense.

Edited by BooBear

I can't decide if I like this show or if Xavier is just so sexy that I watch it anyway. I think it would play better as a 30 minute sitcom. They really struggle to fill an hour with substance or humor. I don't see this show making it past the 1st season.

I agree, this show would be better as a 30 minute sitcom.   I like it best when it is silly and spontaneous.  The whole thing with Xavier pushing for non-ethical monogamy (or whatever he called it) and Evie being offended, then she changes her mind and thinks it is ok while he decided he only wanted her... so predictable and uninteresting.  

I'm still continuing to dislike Timothy.  I dislike everything about him.  

And thanks to the observation from someone the other week, I now noticed that Joshua Sasse completely shaved his chest again.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Xavier pushing for non-ethical monogamy

It was "ethical non-monogamy"-- you put the non in the wrong place.

I wonder what happens when the show gets to Xavier's end of the world date. Do they end the world? Or does he revise his calculations for a different date? Or admit he was wrong?

On 10/26/2016 at 11:27 AM, dubbel zout said:

Brenneman's husband is an EP on the show. I liked how Xavier and Evie were so turned on having sex while Judging Amy was on TV. Hee.

I'm glad Xavier is changing a bit along with Evie.

That explains a lot.

This episode was terrible. They are so desperate with the supporting cast. The boss and underling romance is soooo painful. The Russian guy (where have I seen him?) was so painful. I actually watched most of this switching on and off. Timothy almost had an interesting plot... almost.

They're basically caricatures doing quirky stuff to fill out the running time.  It's like what other people have said, it should've been 30 min. instead.

I don't necessarily mind wacky caricatures in theory; that worked really well on Better Off Ted. But the supporting characters are just not doing it for me with the exception of Kareema. And as an Amy Pietz fan from way back, that pains me to say.

The main draws of this show for me are Evie, the wacky hijinks she gets into, and Joshua Sasse's frequently-bared torso.

Edited by Bruinsfan
On 10/28/2016 at 11:14 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I don't necessarily mind wacky caricatures in theory; that worked really well on Better Off Ted. But the supporting characters are just not doing it for me with the exception of Kareema. And as an Amy Pietz fan from way back, that pains me to say.

How can they take someone so talented and funny who stole "Caroline in the City" and make her so insanely unfunny. Amy Pietz is so much better than what they have her doing here and the object of her affection is just so odd. I am sorry Amy is a babe and she somehow her middling to average object of her affection is uninterested.. huh?  Maybe Amy's character should get interested in Timothy and that would keep Timothy in the storyline. 

Hey! This was the most cohesive episode yet, and the first that felt like it almost deserved to be an hour long episode.

I mean, we could still kill a couple of the side plots and I'd be happy. But our stories with Evie and Xavier were good.

My only real problem was that Evie's friend "feeling at home" at the job was something they needed to actually show us. Instead it popped up suddenly and felt like a cheesy way to take that story. Plus..... she said at the end of the meeting how at home she felt there, then continued to harass Evie. Even though it doesn't make total sense, it was still pretty fun.

Frank Thomas and Nolan Ryan were two of my favorite players growing up. Just saying.

For the first time Evie's boss actually felt a little like a real person and not a Dilbert character.

Though I still hate where they are going with her and Hank.

12 minutes ago, ae2 said:

Hey! This was the most cohesive episode yet, and the first that felt like it almost deserved to be an hour long episode.

I agree. There wasn't as much filler as in other episodes, and we got some real movement on a few fronts. 

I liked that both Evie and Xavier ticked off other numbers when he frenched the museum guard and she exchanged baseball cards. That was a nice bonus.

• Love 1

I greatly enjoyed this episode.  The storyline with Fern was predictable but wrapped up nicely.  I wonder if this means the character is going to be sticking around.

Weak point of this show continues to be Timothy.  Not funny in the least.  Wish they would get rid of him.  We haven't seen Evie's irritating cartoon caricature dad in a few episodes, maybe Timothy can follow the same path.

Oh, and Evie's friend asking "what is a snart" and then the scene of Evie sneezing then farting in school?  I laughed so hard for a long time.  I love this show for those little funny moments.  I have no idea how this is doing in the ratings, but I hope CW gives it a chance.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Oh, and Evie's friend asking "what is a snart" and then the scene of Evie sneezing then farting in school?  I laughed so hard for a long time.  I love this show for those little funny moments.  I have no idea how this is doing in the ratings, but I hope CW gives it a chance.

Not well, but I hope the CW gives it a chance too. It's just a very charming show.

I liked that they didn't drag out Xavier not telling Evie how he felt about ethical non-monogamy. 

• Love 1

There wasn't as much filler as in other episodes, and we got some real movement on a few fronts. 

Which should be more streamlined, hence why the episodes are better without them.

I had thought earlier on (with the washing machines purchase) that spending on credit cards without a job would backfire on Xavier well before the 8 months deadline. I'm skeptical, however, about repo men taking away every bit of furniture in his house. Surely he had some previously existing possessions that he hadn't bought on credit during the apocalist spree? Not everything in that house looked brand spanking new in earlier episodes...

Glad to see Evie's dad found an acting job in line with his talents.

23 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I had thought earlier on (with the washing machines purchase) that spending on credit cards without a job would backfire on Xavier well before the 8 months deadline. I'm skeptical, however, about repo men taking away every bit of furniture in his house. Surely he had some previously existing possessions that he hadn't bought on credit during the apocalist spree? Not everything in that house looked brand spanking new in earlier episodes...

Glad to see Evie's dad found an acting job in line with his talents.

I think it's to bring up the plot with Xavier's dad that's been building up, other than that, he can probably get some new things with his new job.

This one definitely was more plot driven than the past episodes... it lacked those spontaneous vignettes that really had no purpose other than to be funny.  I did love the chairs breaking at the end, cracked me up.

Still not caring for Evie's dad.  Thankfully, there was minimal Timothy but I'm sure things will change when Fern comes back.

I highly doubt that Xavier's house had $90,000 worth of stuff.  Why wouldn't the credit company be suing him?  If he had no job and no savings, presumably he was using his credit card to pay the utility bills?  Curious to see what kind of job he is going to get.  I was waiting for the reveal to be that his dad is some kind of tycoon and was offering Xavier a job.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:14 AM, Bruinsfan said:

The main draws of this show for me are Evie, the wacky hijinks she gets into, and Joshua Sasse's frequently-bared torso.

The thing I find funny is that Amy Pietz was the Kareema of "Caroline in the City."

So, they mentioned Fern about 8 times, but she wasn't on at all. Is that where they want to cut the budget?

59 minutes ago, ketose said:

The thing I find funny is that Amy Pietz was the Kareema of "Caroline in the City."

So, they mentioned Fern about 8 times, but she wasn't on at all. Is that where they want to cut the budget?

It seems like a very dirt cheap show.

On 11/23/2016 at 6:05 PM, weightyghost said:

I swear this show took place in San Francisco. They kept mentioning Seattle this episode. Was I mistaken? I swear when they had sex in the car, it was in a park with a view of Golden Gate Bridge. 

No, they've definitely mentioned it being in Seattle before. They also showed the Space Needle in establishing shots in one episode.

I need opnions - 

I set up the show to auto-record, and every episode is on the DVR, but I have not watched any of it.  Should I watch it or should I delete what I have and stop recording it?  

The posts above imply that I will enjoy the first episode but will think it is a little long, and, since then, the jury seems to be out on whether it is cute or boring.  The number of posts per episode have gone down significantly since the pilot and no one has posted since 11/27, even though a new episode supposedly aired on 11/29 - a week ago.  This all seems to suggest that most people have stopped watching.  

Should I free up some space on the DVR or not?  

Thanks.

It really depends on what you like.

I like it, but it's fluff.

It's not going to blow your mind in any way, but it's amusing enough for me if I'm looking for something easy.

It occasionally suggests a reflection on a deeper issue or two, but it doesn't belabor those things. For ex: ethical non-monogamy, worker vs management conflicts, marrying for a green card, support for a partner whose choices you don't like, what you'd do if the world was ending.... but none of those things are dealt with in a labored way, it's all fairly breezy.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, needschocolate said:

The posts above imply that I will enjoy the first episode but will think it is a little long, and, since then, the jury seems to be out on whether it is cute or boring.  The number of posts per episode have gone down significantly since the pilot and no one has posted since 11/27, even though a new episode supposedly aired on 11/29 - a week ago.  This all seems to suggest that most people have stopped watching.  

If you enjoy super sappy shows with a lot of silliness and a tiny bit of life lesson, then you'll enjoy it.

While it still isn't perfect, once it got into a groove the big problems it had early on... well, I don't think they were corrected, but they are less problematic. I still think it would be a better half hour show focusing only on the two leads, but the side characters are a little bit more tolerable and their stories tie in to the main plot a little bit, even if only thematically.

Worth mentioning - the ratings for the show are not great so a season 2 is a real tossup right now. If you still want to test the waters, you could watch episode 6 - No Debts Remain Unpaid. It's probably the best, most complete episode so far. There might be some minor spoilers regarding relationships, but if you already know the premise of the show you won't have much else spoiled.

• Love 1

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but Xavier's cousin called him Xavier, as did his dad's letter, right? So this isn't a case of someone disappearing from his old life and starting fresh under a false identity, it'd be more like an openly acknowledged name change?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

This is the biggest problem with the show, IMO. The stories are decent, but they have a lot of filler to fit the hour (or 47 minutes, whatever).

Definitely, it would be better streamlined

On 12/6/2016 at 2:29 PM, needschocolate said:

Should I free up some space on the DVR or not?  

I find the show fun and really enjoyable, and it nearly always leaves me with a smile. Even if it doesn't get renewed, I'm not at all sorry that I watched because I got to feel good for each hour. So I'd say watch and enjoy it for what it is without worrying too much about any of it. 

• Love 7

I like some of the "side characters" more than the leads, so I'm happy enough that they haven't pared down the cast or limited their stories. I can't imagine I'd watch if it was just the two leads having a relationship and/or adventure every week.

10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I like some of the "side characters" more than the leads, so I'm happy enough that they haven't pared down the cast or limited their stories. I can't imagine I'd watch if it was just the two leads having a relationship and/or adventure every week.

I just can't stand Hank and the boss. The entire plot is SOOO painful.  But I enjoy Kareema in just about anything.  Timothy is painful but I think he has some potential. 

• Love 2

I really disliked Timothy at first, but I came around once he revealed personality traits other than "desperate to be with Evie." Kareema has been gold from Day 1, and I've liked Hank and even Dierdre. Glad to see the last of Fern though, and I'm not eager for Evie's parents to reappear.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, BooBear said:

I just can't stand Hank and the boss. The entire plot is SOOO painful.  But I enjoy Kareema in just about anything.  Timothy is painful but I think he has some potential. 

Definitely, it's a mixed bag.  They work better in smaller doses.

I guessed Hamish was Xavier's real name...but why lie and therefore not beat the polygraph? That's cheating on the list, which is out of character.

I always struggle with "live like you only have 6 months". Literally having 6 months v. figuratively makes a big difference! If I literally had 6 months, I'd quit work and spend all my money visiting people I love and traveling the world. If it's figurative, then I need to go on a small adventure or two but keep working. (And I like my work, so that's ok.) But, actually, I'd have to work even more to fund the kind of travel I seek! The better concept is to get more out of your life (Evie), not live like there's no tomorrow (Xavier).

It's winter, dark and rainy. I'm happy to have fluff to watch.

Maybe Hamish is a part of his name (middle or actual first name), and that's why he passed the lie detector test. Though given that this entry on the apocalist was to beat a polygraph test, who knows what was actually real?

1 hour ago, snarktini said:

The better concept is to get more out of your life (Evie), not live like there's no tomorrow (Xavier).

The show does seem to be working toward that sweet spot, and I think Xavier's credit problems in a recent episode have somewhat tempered his plan to live like there's no tomorrow.

On 12/10/2016 at 1:11 PM, snarktini said:

I always struggle with "live like you only have 6 months". Literally having 6 months v. figuratively makes a big difference! If I literally had 6 months, I'd quit work and spend all my money visiting people I love and traveling the world. If it's figurative, then I need to go on a small adventure or two but keep working. (And I like my work, so that's ok.) But, actually, I'd have to work even more to fund the kind of travel I seek! The better concept is to get more out of your life (Evie), not live like there's no tomorrow (Xavier).

Agreed! I mean, who wouldn't quit their job if they knew the world would end in six months? 

• Love 2