Type keyword(s) to search

Eyewitness - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

So I'm guessing that what Helen wasn't seeing on her murderboard was the connection between Phillip's jacket and the couple who were killed. Once she pieces that together with Phillukas, then she'll at least have a notion as to who was a witness to the original murders. It still doesn't finger Kane, though, and, maybe I am misremembering, but didn't Bella's father take Bella's phone from her right after she called Kane while still under "house arrest"? I've always assumed that that was still out there, and that that should be in play. Of course, it depends upon who finds it/found it, as Helen, Tony, or Kamilah (sp?) would likely hand it over to Kane to "process". I can't fault them too much, but doesn't even a two-person sheriff's office have some functionality? Or at least some territorial pride? I've probably just watched too much TV where the locals are usually annoyed at the Feds for coming and taking over their cases.

I assume Helen knows about the boys, but whether they are BFFs or lovers doesn't affect anything about the case, at least so far as she knows. Gabe looked like he guessed it when he saw Phillip sneaking downstairs (though BFFs might do that as well, without any sexual aspect entering into it), but I wonder if he's now not as open to sharing with Helen as before, because he's hurt that she's hidden some aspect of her life from him. it seems petty to me, if so.

Is Kamillah smart enough to realize that the only person who knew/knows Lukas' and her whereabouts was/is Kane? Did he know because she kept him up-to-date or because he got the info from her phone when he honeytrapped her?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Is Kamillah smart enough to realize that the only person who knew/knows Lukas' and her whereabouts was/is Kane? Did he know because she kept him up-to-date or because he got the info from her phone when he honeytrapped her?

It looked like he cloned her cell, including the tracking app that showed the location of the FBI phone Lukas was carrying.  That's why he checked the tracing app when he heard the motorbike engine, to make sure that he had the right guy.  I don't think there's any way for Kamilah to know that Kane did that without him letting it slip somehow that he knew the location - she definitely didn't give it to him.  

Thanks. I wasn't sure that she wasn't updating him as well, since she'd have to be checking in periodically. As was stated above, though, Kamilah should at the very least be going through some sort of de-briefing after her sister's suicide in front of her, and how that connects to the case she's on, rather than assign her lone babysitter duty on a key witness.

• Love 1

Can someone explain why Helen had to go pick up the sketch artist when she's got a very vulnerable teenage witness bunking at her house and one lone FBI agent (who's competence is a debatable point) watching him? Couldn't she have sent Tony to pick the artist up? Because we know that Helen would have told Lukas to keep his ass by the house and wouldn't have let him run off to play with his new bike.

We also have video of the exact moment that Lukas was shot, courtesy of Philip. That can end up being very valuable in seeing where exactly he was hit - a ballistics expert would be able to determine where the shooter was positioned and that could narrow the field down to ex military types.  

• Love 1

I found this episode frustrating in that I think I lost my patience with Ryan being told everything before anyone else.  "Here, look at my foster son who happens to be wearing the jacket that will identify him to you." Or "the shooter has been spotted so could you move the kids?" 

I know these shows run on coincidence and that's fine.  I've been okay with it up to now.  But I like a little legwork mixed in with that coincidence. and they seemed to abandon that in this episode.  I was waiting for Helen to send Kamilah or Tony or someone to the gas station to get the security footage so they would know what the guy looks like should he show up.

I'm looking forward to the finale, though, despite those frustrations. 

• Love 5

Thank goodness Helen has figured it out now.  I agree proper policing seemed to be abandoned in this episode - but I guess everyone besides Tony is falling apart in some way.  I still don't have a completely clear idea of what drove Ryan to kill in the first place, and then keep killing though - sheer psychopathy?  Good to see the boys together and Lucas calming down when Phillip pointed out the obvious to him.  Rose came across as decent, for the first time, though her character could have been developed a bit more earlier to round things out.  Gabe continues to appear an excellent father.  So, in his own way, does Bo, wonder where they will go with that character next week?

• Love 2

Kane killed an FBI informant to hide his affair with Bella, which was illegal. It seems to me he thought he could cover that up pretty easily. After all the informant was there on a hit but no FBI arresting these guys. But after he committed that first murder, which he called a mistake in his semi-confession to Helen, the rest was about covering it up. As to why he didn't just run? He's certainly been considering it. 

This is the first episode without any actual bloodshed, but the suspense is more than making up for it. I suppose having Lukas survive is kind of a flinch for these writers. 

Ryan being in the position he's in is why he met Bella in the first place. But being where he is does justify I think all the characters feeding him information to keep him ahead of the game. Where coincidence is coming in is Helen finding the cologne bottle at just the proper moment for the plot to reach an exciting conclusion. She should have just smelled it on him, just like she did on Tony. For what it's worth, the legwork it took to know Bella's gift was pretty impressive to me. It doesn't seem all that sloppy for Kane to miss the possibility Helen was sharp enough to know what it meant.

• Love 4

This show... I so wanted like like it, but it has been a grind to make it to this point. The biggest disappointment to me has been Helen who should have been much sharper. She is ex-FBI, the people she is supposed to be protecting and serving are being murdered all around her, two boys, one in her care, are in mortal danger, yet her investigation skills are basically nonexistent. That she discovered Ryan was the murderer by accident looking for a tissue was sour icing on this bad tasting cake. Come on. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Lilly77 said:

I still don't have a completely clear idea of what drove Ryan to kill in the first place, and then keep killing though - sheer psychopathy?

As I understand it, he was seeing Bella who he fell for while investigating Bella's father, Mithat.   Mithat found out his daughter was seeing an older man but didn't know who it was.  He put three of his biker gang guys on the case to find and kill the older man his daughter was seeing.  One of those biker gang guys was the informant.  They brought Kane to the cabin to kill him but the informant saved his life. In order to protect his status/freedom, he killed the informant.  Then he killed Bella because she could identify him. He was knocked out by Philip and Lukas.  He didn't know anything about them other than there were two guys.  One had that jacket he saw and the other knocked him out.  He killed the friend who borrowed Philip's jacket because he thought he was the kid under the bed.  The friend's girlfriend was just collateral damage.  He then tried to kill Lukas because he was the other witness he could identify.  It was't until this episode that he realized he had killed the wrong boy.  Pretty much everything has been about tying up loose ends from his affair.  I get the sense that he has been desensitized to killing during his military experience.

13 hours ago, sjohnson said:

But being where he is does justify I think all the characters feeding him information to keep him ahead of the game. Where coincidence is coming in is Helen finding the cologne bottle at just the proper moment for the plot to reach an exciting conclusion. She should have just smelled it on him, just like she did on Tony. For what it's worth, the legwork it took to know Bella's gift was pretty impressive to me.

It did make sense for the most part and there has been legwork.  It just seemed to be abandoned in this episode. Instead of the coincidence of opening the glove compartment, I think I would have liked it better if Tony had been sent to the gas station and called with the knowledge that it was Kane.

• Love 3

One thing has continually perplexed me:  What happened in Buffalo that Helen was so afraid of?  We saw the box in storage, saw the pills, saw the pictures of the bloodied and dead woman.  But . . . what?  Did I miss something subtle?  And if she was an FBI agent, why would she be so traumatized by either seeing a dead woman, or perhaps killing the woman herself?  Can someone please explain?

• Love 1

Thanks for explaining the crime. I must admit I thought I'd missed something because covering the affair didn't seem like enough of a reason to embark on such carnage but that was it. I have paid much more attention to the different relationships on the show than I have to he crime itself. Has Bo gone off to think about his son being gay, or does Ryan have him?  The trailer for next week shows Ryan with Phillip's mother. 

9 hours ago, Lilly77 said:

Thanks for explaining the crime. I must admit I thought I'd missed something because covering the affair didn't seem like enough of a reason to embark on such carnage but that was it.

It probably wasn't.  But Ryan felt that killing an informant/criminal was worth it to cover up his affair.  But he didn't know that there would be two witnesses.  So targeting them was likely about covering up the murder more than it was covering up the affair.  And so it goes...

10 hours ago, Lostinthehouse said:

One thing has continually perplexed me:  What happened in Buffalo that Helen was so afraid of?  We saw the box in storage, saw the pills, saw the pictures of the bloodied and dead woman.  But . . . what?  Did I miss something subtle?  And if she was an FBI agent, why would she be so traumatized by either seeing a dead woman, or perhaps killing the woman herself?  Can someone please explain?

She's not ex-FBI.  She was once a "big" city cop in Buffalo. The details on what happened have been super vague and I may be missing something but we did see a flashback/dream a few episodes ago where we saw Helen hiding in a closet holding a crying baby. Someone came in and she held the baby up close to try to get it quiet and when she pulled it away, the baby was dead.  I guess implying it was smothered?  And in this past episode, we saw pictures of a dead woman but they also mentioend dead children.  I feel like they're holding back the details on purpose. I don't know if they're holding it back deliberately to be vague or if they're doing so to set up another season where we find out more.

• Love 3

^^^I may be dating myself, but one of the strongest M*A*S*H episodes was where a mother with a crying baby smothered the infant in a desperate effort to keep enemy soldiers from finding the hiding place. That seems to be what happened to Helen, though it's unclear why she was unarmed, hiding in a closet with a baby. 

• Love 1

I remember that MASH episode - I think it was the finale 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'.  It was the first thing I thought of too, with the baby being smothered.

I wonder whether they will give us more details in the final episode, or just leave it vague?  Hopefully the missing boys helps Helen focus rather than spiral with her still unresolved PTSD.  I am wondering what is going to happen to wrap everything up, as very little can be told from the trailer, but I am rather worried about Phillip's mother.

I almost gave up on this episode because it got infuriating watching Sheriff Helen aim the killer right at Philip and Lukas. For someone who was supposed to be a super hotshot detective, she has no clue about safeguarding information or picking up on barely subtle confessions.

Weakest links in the show are Helen, Ryan and Kamilah. 

• Love 1

I like the series pretty much, though there are things that infuriate me. Twice during the episode (when Helen realized her box had been opened, and when they were questioning Kamilah about who knew Lukas' whereabouts) someone, in the first case Gabe, in the second Tony, threw things off by confessing themselves and putting a stop to a look which might lead to Kane! I've said it before, but, while I understand that Kane is at the top of the food chain in their location, I wish someone at the Sheriff's office would think territorially and hold back from running to him with every new lead! And, yeah, the look into the glove box was a random way to find a connecting clue, but I'm just happy someone FINALLY might be making the connection!

And, as I ask every week, where is Bella's phone that her father took from her? Kane's info should have been on it! Likewise, I was hoping Helen would connect the jacket with Phillip, but I guess him seeing Kane and owning up to Gabe off-camera is satisfying enough.

I HOPE we don't get a confrontation between Helen and Kane that either Tony or Kamilah misinterprets, thus saving Kane. Now that Helen is known by Kane and at least one hospital staffer as being on drugs, Kane can turn her actions against her and gaslight her. I will NOT be happy.

• Love 1

I am interested to see how it all works out.  There has been some obvious manipulation of the plot to make things work out this way - as a huge consumer of police shows, I've never seen a police department so happy to share evidence or jurisdiction, ever - I want to see how all the different relationships work out through the resolution of the investigation.  

I feel like we've made a lot of progress in TV sexuality when we have two gay teens having sex under ridiculous circumstances the way straight couples often seem to have managed in the past.  I mean Lukas was just in the hospital.  And later we see his wound managed to burst open from being thrown in the trunk of a car.  Yet he manages to have the kind of intercourse that would require a condom and basically loses his virginity, I presume, in between.  Hilarious. [Although once they had sex, I thought for sure it meant Lukas was a goner.]

I guess we weren't going to be spared one last death.  This one made the least sense to me.  Did he really need to kill her?  And what was Ryan's plan by  having the kids in the trunk.  Couldn't he have just killed them in the apartment and left them there?  What was his end game?  I also find it interesting that he could kill the love of his life, Bella, but not Helen's foster kid. 

Such a mess.  Such a glorious mess.  I really did enjoy the heck out of it.  I also very much appreciated the fact that they gave us a five minute epilogue at the end of the episode.  So few shows do that after the big climax and I'm often left feeling unsatisfied.  If there isn't another season, at least I feel peaceful with the way they wrapped things up.  Although the look in Helen's eyes at the end was curious when Gabe was telling her he'd love her forever.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
On 12/12/2016 at 5:07 PM, scribe95 said:

I was enthralled and found my heart racing in this one. Her panic in the closet and then that end. The actor playing Philip has been great as well.

I too like the Phillip actor. He's able to 'say' a lot through his facial expressions without having to say a word. I hope he goes onto a great career. 

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I feel like we've made a lot of progress in TV sexuality when we have two gay teens having sex under ridiculous circumstances the way straight couples often seem to have managed in the past.  I mean Lukas was just in the hospital.  And later we see his wound managed to burst open from being thrown in the trunk of a car.  Yet he manages to have the kind of intercourse that would require a condom and basically loses his virginity, I presume, in between.  Hilarious. [Although once they had sex, I thought for sure it meant Lukas was a goner.]

I guess we weren't going to be spared one last death.  This one made the least sense to me.  Did he really need to kill her?  And what was Ryan's plan by  having the kids in the trunk.  Couldn't he have just killed them in the apartment and left them there?  What was his end game?  I also find it interesting that he could kill the love of his life, Bella, but not Helen's foster kid. 

We haven't made progress toward equality, though. Gay sex is so sacrosanct that it cannot be "degraded" the way straight sex is by having it followed by the inevitable genre-dictated death. I guess that's good. There was an undercurrent of shame attached to the sex act in films that "allowed" the participants to be the victim of the slasher/killer/monster afterward that has not been permitted with gay sex to the same extent. NOT that I wanted to see either kid die, BUT Kane, as you point out, suddenly grew a conscience around this ONE person, whereas he had been perfectly fine killing not only the "love of his life", but also several randoms who were no threat to him! AND carting two boys, who were heading into adult weight territory (not so much Lukas, though), awkwardly to another spot made his whole character seem ridiculous, after a fairly tightly thought out season. Also, the inevitable showdown HAD to happen, but it would have made more sense for non-PSTDed Tony to go after Kane, and leave Helen to stop Lukas' bleeding.

Also, whatever happened to Bella's phone?

Ryan's plan to cover his tracks completely fell apart in the last episode, after growing increasingly sloppy. The number of people who died to maintain his cover seems nearly endless, and the final victim - Philip's mother - was especially pointless because Helen know had put all the pieces together. Taking the boys was a last act of desperation, and for all his ruthlessness, Ryan didn't in the end seem to plan to harm them. If he did, he could have easily killed them before Helen got there. Instead he left Lukas in the car (albeit bleeding out because his wound tore open) and took Philip with no intention of actually hurting Philip. One he knew that Helen had figured everything out, the game was over.

In the end, he basically committed "suicide by cop" as his gun was empty and he would have no means of killing either his hostage or Helen. And to me, it appears that Helen was the one person that he didn't want to harm. They had developed a rapport of some sort, as two equally damaged people with self-destructive leanings. He knew that she would be the one to bring him down, yet for all the times he could have eliminated her threat, he didn't. I don't want to sympathize with a ruthless killer like Ryan, but his psychology is fascinating.

Despite Ryan losing his mother, it was a relatively happy ending for all. Helen is finally starting to let go of some of the trauma that she's been carrying and is opening herself more to her husband and foster son. Bo is also opening himself up and seeing his son for who he really is. As for the boys... they got about as happy an ending as could be expected under the circumstances. They're out and together and safe. That was the best that I could have hoped for them. 

55 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

Gay sex is so sacrosanct that it cannot be "degraded" the way straight sex is by having it followed by the inevitable genre-dictated death.

"Bury Your Gays" is a trope for a reason - it's beyond commonplace for one in a gay pairing to get killed in storylines like this and the number of shows that do so (The 100, Torchwood, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, True Blood etc.) vastly outnumber the shows where the gay couple survives. I remember being thrilled at the end of the Spartacus series that Agron and Nasir were the last two of the slave warriors left standing. That both Lukas and Philip survived is the exception, not the norm.

And I appreciate the fact that now we can have gay characters that are fully realized and not either perverted deviants or sainted victims. They can be complicated and difficult and multilayered in a way that I would want from any character in a show like Eyewitness. Lukas was allowed to be confused and unsympathetic at times, and Philip was allowed to be challenging and passive aggressive. 

Admittedly, I found the boys taking time to lose their virginity amusing because that's such a teenage boy thing to do. They're on the run and in fear for their lives, but hormones are hormones. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

"Bury Your Gays" is a trope for a reason - it's beyond commonplace for one in a gay pairing to get killed in storylines like this and the number of shows that do so (The 100, Torchwood, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, True Blood etc.) vastly outnumber the shows where the gay couple survives. I remember being thrilled at the end of the Spartacus series that Agron and Nasir were the last two of the slave warriors left standing. That both Lukas and Philip survived is the exception, not the norm.

Sorry, but that's an older take. Plus, you're including lesbian characters. Lesbians have their own portrayals in media, but gay male pairs became untouchable around the Spartacus series; coinciding with the push for "marriage equality". The idea was to make darn sure that we were never depicted in anything BUT a monogamous pairing, and it's a more recent occurrence than the "trope" you cite. (Again, I didn't want the characters to die, but I also knew that they were unkillable, so Kane's prior character was scrapped.)

I forgot this was on last night. It really was a dumb show, but at least none of the main characters died and there was a loving ending. I can buy that Ryan is a sociopath, but  I don't understand why Ryan killed Phillip's mother. However, I get that he is the typical dumb criminal portrayed on tv shows which is why he didn't just kill Phillip and Lukas in the hotel room. I wonder if USA will renew this. The ratings were so dreadful that Nielsen didn't include it in its report.

Edited by SimoneS
2 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

We haven't made progress toward equality, though. Gay sex is so sacrosanct that it cannot be "degraded" the way straight sex is by having it followed by the inevitable genre-dictated death.

I said progress, not total equality.  And I don't think the genre dictated the death absolutely.  This wasn't a horror show, where the trope would dictate death to supporting characters having sex.  It's a thriller.  And people often survive thrillers.

12 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Who were the two bodies in the canoe at the end?

Helen and Gabe.  They were showing various images of them while Gabe was talking.

I think the plot was this: Getting Mom's phone sets up a trap for Philip. Mom is killed so that Ryan can get away with this. 

In the event, as a bonus, Ryan gets both Philip and Lukas. Now, at this point, he isn't aware Helen is on to him. So, why didn't he kill Philip and Lukas immediately? Because the gun shots would attract the motel manager, is my first thought. More generally, controlling the crime scene so he can get away with it. Killing the boys somewhere else and hiding the bodies would I think have been in the end a better plan. But when it came to setting up a safer crime scene, Ryan had the problem he was expected at the big bust, complete with a big shot boss watching. On the other hand, the dialogue about how he couldn't bring himself to kill Helen's son may be referring to this?

At any rate, when he got to the staging ground for the raid, Helen shows up. Then, he finds out it's all been for nothing. It's not really so odd that he didn't kill Philip, when it wouldn't have saved him, I think. 

It's not common in Hollywood and written thrillers for the murders to take their toll on the murderer. But one of the greatest mystery writers, Dashiell Hammett, acknowledged this in his amazing novel Red Harvest (possibly the inspiration for Kurosawa's Yojimbo, though I don't know if that's been confirmed.) 

Killing the boys somewhere else and hiding the bodies would I think have been in the end a better plan. But when it came to setting up a safer crime scene, Ryan had the problem he was expected at the big bust, complete with a big shot boss watching. On the other hand, the dialogue about how he couldn't bring himself to kill Helen's son may be referring to this?

Not killing either boy also stayed true to the original. I wish they hadn't killed off Philip's mum, but I suppose the point was to establish him more firmly with Helen and Gabe. I think the ending was kind of clunky, but I bought Ryan realizing the situation was hopeless by the end once Helen (and I guess everyone else) was on to him. I mean he'd killed how many people including Bella to protect himself, tried to kill Lukas and everything had just unraveled worst instead.

I was certain either Lucas or Philip wouldn't make it, glad I was wrong.  Also thought Tony was a goner, was  shocked he survived week after week!

2 hours ago, Swansong said:

I wish they hadn't killed off Philip's mum,

Unpopular opinion, but the killer did Philip a solid on this one, spared him from a lifetime of calls at 3am, ER visits, guilt trips and manipulation.

I enjoyed the series.  I was glad they didn't kill off Lukas or Phillip, or Helen or Gabe, as I strongly suspected that at least one of them would have died for dramatic effect.  

I too was surprised the boys ended up consumating their relationship at that time, with Lukas' gunshot wound and all.  However, the story wouldn't have felt complete if they hadn't worked that in somewhere.  I liked the careful emphasis on consent and on protection - and Lukas laughing at Phillip finally getting to use that condom he'd been carrying around.

I liked the scenes with Lukas' dad.  I thought they were done well and the actor really sold how difficult he found it to relate to his son, even though he really loved him.  

Another site mentioned the possibility of a season 2 with the same actors.  Not sure where they'd go with that.  Maybe one and done would be better for a series of this type - a season two would be quite contrived, if centred on another horrible crime.

3 hours ago, Lilly77 said:

I liked the scenes with Lukas' dad.  I thought they were done well and the actor really sold how difficult he found it to relate to his son, even though he really loved him.  

Bo needs to work on his priorities a bit. His son is in the hospital after being shot because a killer is trying to silence him and Bo is off drinking because his son is gay and he has sads about it...

3 hours ago, Lilly77 said:

I too was surprised the boys ended up consumating their relationship at that time, with Lukas' gunshot wound and all.  However, the story wouldn't have felt complete if they hadn't worked that in somewhere.  I liked the careful emphasis on consent and on protection - and Lukas laughing at Phillip finally getting to use that condom he'd been carrying around.

I'm not going to wrestle too hard with deciding who topped who, but it was an interesting contrast to their other sexual encounters. Lukas could be aggressive and set the tone (and the brakes when he got freaked out), but being injured shifted the power dynamic a bit. He let Philip run the show since he physically was weaker at the moment and that gave Philip the chance to guide things along. And I agree that the checks for Lukas's consent were really important since too often that gets glossed over. Lukas's smiles and laughter really are a change from the intensity that he had shown before. Before it was like he just didn't want to think about what he was doing (least we get the gay freakout). Now he could just enjoy it. It was really sweet.

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Unpopular opinion, but the killer did Philip a solid on this one, spared him from a lifetime of calls at 3am, ER visits, guilt trips and manipulation.

I doubt that Philip would see it that way, but being a child of an addict is never easy and the odds are that Annie would relapse at some point. Still, he loved her deeply and if he had a choice of having his mother alive (even with the problems that she'd probably bring down the road) or not, he would want her in his life. Especially since he had Helen and Gabe there for him.

And I have to give Annie credit that she died protecting her son as best she could. She couldn't stop Ryan from finding Philip, but she didn't help him out of fear for her own safety.

• Love 1

I thought Bo was off drinking because finding out Lukas was gay showed him how little he knew his son and how far apart they really were if Lukas wouldn't tell him or think it was OK to tell him, rather than the gay thing itself.  His speech when Lukas was unconscious sort of built that up for me, that he was afraid the sound of his voice would actually cause Lukas a problem rather than reassure him, and that he was worried he didn't know how to talk to him.  However, I agree he should have been at the hospital working through it all rather than leaving Lukas alone!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lilly77 said:

His speech when Lukas was unconscious sort of built that up for me, that he was afraid the sound of his voice would actually cause Lukas a problem rather than reassure him, and that he was worried he didn't know how to talk to him.  However, I agree he should have been at the hospital working through it all rather than leaving Lukas alone!

And that's pretty much what he also expressed to Gabe in his little jealous reaction that Gabe knew about Lukas before he did. That, and he wasn't sure how to do parenting in this situation.

I will defend Bo a little on leaving Lukas alone.  He had left before and when he left, Phillip was with Lukas.  I know it felt like a long time but most of the past two episodes took place in one afternoon.  Bo sees Phillip kiss Luke. Leaves.  Lukas wakes up and finds out about his father.  Helen moves Lukas and Phillip into the maternity ward.  Ryan shows up at the hospital. Phillip sees him and leaves with Lukas from the hospital.  They go to a hotel. Have sex (when you think that Lukas was in a coma only a few hours earlier it's even funnier.)  Then go to Phillip's mom's house.

A lot was happening but I don't think a lot of time has passed and Bo seems less negligent, especially since others were with Lukas at the hospital and Lukas was still in a coma when he left.

I enjoyed the show for the most part but did not like the casting of Ryan and was disappointed a bit with the ending. Where is the shocking conclusion that was advertised? Or did it go over my head? I'm not sure this could work as a regular series. It would probably have to be a new season long crime with further development of the main characters.

I got confused a bit as to how much time had passed.  It explains Bo's actions more - but it does make the sex at the hotel a bit more questionable when it only was a few hours. Which kid carries so much money that they can afford the hotel room and the trip to the city for them both, after they ran from the hospital?  Having watched it through again I think it was a good resolution and consistent with the tone of the rest of the series.  I didn't really find the conclusion shocking either, unless it was shocking that he didn't kill Phillip and had a crisis of conscience after so long?