Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Blacklight or Daylight?

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I had no problem with Erin winning, I liked hers the best. But that stupid Emoji dress was in the top 3? I think the judges just wanted a dramatic transformation and that's what he gave them. I could take or leave the Blade Runner outfit, but I did like the flowers. Zac will say anything to justify his opinion. When the paint was peeling off, he say that it gave the outfit height or contrast or some such nonsense. 

As for the bottom, I didn't think Kimber's dress  was that bad. But the judges suffer from saying what they say to justify their opinions. They told Kimber it was nice and it would sell but it wasn't editorial, but during other challenges they will auf someone because the look wouldn't sell. Make up your minds people!

I was sure Mah-Jing was getting aufed because he was getting the loser edit. I have noticed that whenever a contestant cries ans says they miss their kids, spouse, dog, whatever, they usually get the axe. 

I'm really hoping that either other designers start stepping it up or the judges get tired of Erin's aesthetic, because if something doesn't change, this season is going to be a snore. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

The difference was that Mah-Jing knew his design wasn't good, and Kimber didn't recognize that fact about her own. Taste levels.

No go.  Last week, Linda was aufed, even though she was completely self-aware about her poor offering and Brik was clueless about his Wal-poly stretch pants.

In 15 seasons, I don't think I've ever been more certain I was seeing a "top" design than Roberi's.  It was flattering and beautiful, in a dark-subtle way, under regular lights--I wouldn't have been shocked to hear one of the judges call it "an edgy version of the little black dress."  Then under the blacklight, it turned into a knockout!  And not in the HELLO NEON way they said was overused.  More like:  Whoa, what is that disembodied airy little confection floating my way?

(The neon wispy effect of the selvedge(?) might have been a lucky accident, but he was smart enough to recognize the possibilities and re-imagine his whole design to feature it.)

Meanwhile, Jenni scores a Top because she can freehand lovely flowers. Not one of the judges even mentioned the (ugly) yellow outfit!  I'd love to see that "woman walking down the street in New York" they're always talking about, wearing a too-tight bright yellow romper, a clumsy clear plastic raincoat and heels.

For my positive remark, I thought it was an excellent challenge.  Finding a way to "transform" a garment is always fun--I'm surprised they haven't done it before.  Lots of people think the water spray melting the tie-dye onto the white skirt was the most imaginative thing ever seen on the show--and that was a one-time-only party.

Next to Roberi, I thought Cornelius's dress did the best job of morphing from "x" into "y" when the lights went out.

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, candall said:

Meanwhile, Jenni scores a Top because she can freehand lovely flowers. Not one of the judges even mentioned the (ugly) yellow outfit!  I'd love to see that "woman walking down the street in New York" they're always talking about, wearing a too-tight bright yellow romper, a clumsy clear plastic raincoat and heels.

I loathed Jenni's outfit and her Horshack the Sweathog affected laugh.  But I simply could not believe that, not only was it in the top, but that none of the judges made a single remark about that horrible and badly fitted granny-pantied romper or whatever it was supposed to be.  The flowers painted on the plastic raincoat were in no way enough to forgive the blindingly awful romper.  And then that stupid laugh!  Please, stop with the affectation or go get your nasal passages corrected or whatever it is that is causing that insufferable sound to come out of your face!  Zach, stop encouraging her!

I also hated Corny's sloppy and unattractive emoji dress, and more so when it was just a plain, boring, badly sewn and fitted white dress.  There were better outfits than his that should have been in the top, like Roberi's dress which looked like the threads and ruffles were dancing down the runway.

I really liked Erin's dress and think she deserved the win.  Laurence, whose horrible North Korean chain gang prison jumpsuit won last week, should be super grateful she had immunity because her granny panties were horrid.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

One of Nina's criticisms of the losing dress was "Yes, people will like it, and yes, it would sell well" (paraphrase).  Me: "That's a bad thing"?  I know it's not high fashion, and that particular dress was a little boring, but so were so many other designs that were declared safe.

But, but...it wasn't editorrrrrial.  ;)

• Love 3

I believe they've admitted as much but it's so clear that the Weinsteins just sell sponsorship to the highest bidder (Red Robin, anyone?).

I thought Mah-Jing would either win or go home because he got some back story (as did Erin, and she won). That's usually what happens. His daughter is adorable - the way her face lit up when she saw her dad was precious.

What was Laurence's supposed to be? A blazer with matching undies? Are we doing that? Carrie Bradshaw's coat at least covered her ass.

There are still too damn many of them. Someone would pop up and I'd be like, "Harpo, who this woman?" Or man, because until Rik was up there in the bottom, I had no idea who he was. 

I thought Roberi was robbed. His was so delicate, it moved beautifully, it had a cool shape, and it popped under the black light.

I fell out when Heidi was talking about semen on hotel bedsheets without saying so directly.

• Love 7

Did anybody else find Heidi's comments about the model looking like a hoochie mama ready to twerk in a video super gross? Like this show does love to hurl out the insult of someone dressing their model like a hooker/streetwalker but it was one of those moments where I was like, "There is no way that comment would've come out that particular way if the model had been white."

• Love 9
1 minute ago, BloggerAloud said:

Did anybody else find Heidi's comments about the model looking like a hoochie mama ready to twerk in a video super gross? Like this show does love to hurl out the insult of someone dressing their model like a hooker/streetwalker but it was one of those moments where I was like, "There is no way that comment would've come out that particular way if the model had been white."

I thought the model looked like she was about to cry being told she looked like that. I mean it's totally not her fault how they dress and style her, but it looked like she was mortified.

• Love 12

Thank  you to everyone who said Jenni's laugh is "affected." I said back right after R to the R that it's fake because you can't turn a genuine laugh on and off at request. Also, notice that at the first of the episode she actually giggled and it sounded normal? I know a giggle is not a laugh, but it sounded NOTHING like her hee haw that she loves to pull out when she's not getting enough attention. That and her particularly horrible vocal fry will keep me from rooting for her pretty much no matter what she sends down the runway.  Although I did like the idea of the raincoat, but it wasn't new or innovative either.

Erin's was a fine winner again. I like her thought process and her exceptionally calm demeanor. She does think highly of herself as an artist, but without putting down other people, for the most part. Her comment about being in the bottom should make you wonder why you're there, with Kimber sitting right there, was coming more from just not thinking before speaking, rather than shit talking other designers. Her fabric creation reminds me only slightly of Patricia's from season 11, but she can still put a decent design together. I'm in agreement with everyone who said I hope she has some missteps or someone moves to the fore to challenge her a bit more. I really do not want to watch the whole season knowing who is going to be the winner either.

Brik should have been in the bottom, and based on three strikes (my rule, not the show's), he should have been out. Kimber wasn't going to last much longer, but Brik didn't even try. And for Tim to say "at this point, you just need to think about NOT getting eliminated" - well, I was really disappointed in that because as Nina LOVES to say: this is a design competition. Not ready to wear (not this week, anyway) and not what can I do to be the least sucky.

I'm fearful for Tasha and Rik: I like them both, but they don't seem to be doing anything super exciting, and both seem to be stuck at "top bottom" or low middle. Similarly for MahJ whom I like but just can't get into. The girl who did another skirt and blouse? She had a white pointy collar under the blacklight - I cannot remember her name - she is boring the snot out of me.

And I don't understand why they don't like Roberi more. Is it because everything is so short? Guess if it was short AND tight, he'd be out but have Heidi as a customer from now on, so there's that.

Finally, the Tim Gunn save is "back." Maybe they just were't mentioning it because they knew there's no way he's going to use if for the first few eliminations?

Finally, finally, everytime I try to order Swatch's "Got Treats" t-shirt, it's out of stock. Get it together, Mood!!!

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

I just can't understand that Brik's look was not in the bottom 3 (it should even have been the losing look). There was nothing to it, not in the normal light where it was just an unflattering dress with no construction, and not in the black light where nothing happened.

And I also really liked Roberi's look. The choice of fabric was perfect for the challenge.

• Love 8

I felt really bad for Mag-Jing.  I don't think that his first design was as horrific as Tim made it out to be and his second design really was terrible.  He's just lucky that Kimber's outfit really was worse or else he would have been gone.

None of the outfits really impressed me this week.  I hate to say it, but I think Cornelius' outfit fit the brief the best, as it really did pop when the lights changed on the runway.  But after that, it really did just look like a boring white dress.  Can't believe that Jenni's plastic monstrosity actually made it to top 3.  Talk about looking like a craft or student piece.

I'm not hugely impressed with some of the models they have this year.  There were two models who I thought made the outfits look worse with their poor walking, one being Alex's design.  They seem a little stompy.

ETA: I'm not sure that Kimber understands what "humbled" means.

Edited by Canada
4 hours ago, The Hound Lives said:

Roberi definitely had the best look. It was flirty, sexy and while the color transformation was subtle, it worked. He should've won. 

ETA: While Heidi continues to remind me of a Stepford Wife, I really wish TPTB would dump Nina. I say it all the time, it will never happen, but she is such a drag. 

I could not agree with you more on both your points above.  I am truly surprised Roberi was not even in the top 3.  Sigh.

• Love 9

There are still too damn many of them. Someone would pop up and I'd be like, "Harpo, who this woman?" Or man, because until Rik was up there in the bottom, I had no idea who he was. 

When they showed everyone in their seats before the runway show, my first thought was, "Damn, there are way too many designers. No wonder I can't remember them all!" Thank goodness for the frequent chyrons with their names or I would be referring to That One Guy and That Other Guy in all my posts. 

I hated everything!

Well, maybe the one that looked like an anemone was OK. And Erin's looked like something you'd see in Anthropologie. One of the white ones--Brik's?--looked like when a dress is inside out and pinned to take in at the sides.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I just found it ironic that Heidi would call out anyone for looking like a hooker/streetwalker hoochie mama.  I often look at her choice of clothes and think the same thing about her.  

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Maccagirl said:

Do any of you know if we can still "Rate the Runway" online anymore?  I cannot find it on the Lifetime website, and always enjoyed going there to get a reminder and close up view of each designer's creations.  Thanks in advance for any info.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway

I've been viewing the items that are all up for sale on ebay to benefit charity every week. Lots of close up details and most fascinating to me are the closures or lack there of and the designer produced items we never see much of like the purses or jewelry. There is also a magnifying tool for an even better view. http://www.ebay.com/rpp/project-runway/Season-15?_kwfitm=project+runway&_trkparms=meid_vp%3D69299796bedd426a818c01068af33dbd

Its also fun to see what the items sold for and last week's winner was 2 Just Fab/Fab for All Dress by Erin Robertson @ $510.

Well, once again I have learned that I have no eye, no taste, no gene for fashion. I loved Kimber's dress. I liked the print, I liked the high-low hem, I thought it looked wonderfully glowy in in a subtle way under the black light. And to show you how far from a fashionista I truly am, the only thing I didn't like was the one-sleeve deal -- I wanted the dress to have both sleeves. I'm hopeless, I tell you.  I was saddened, but not surprised, to see it at the bottom of the pile.

• Love 7

I thought the judging was bizarre.  From the lemon spanx homage to camel-toe to the chiding of Rik and yet the aforesaid lemon spanx looked like something that was fetish towards women that wanted to have granny sex before they were grannies.  Cornelius's middle school art project that had a happy face over the cooch and frownie face over the chest (not sure what that was actually about).  The rough splotchy aspect of his art looked childish and like it was lifted from the bathroom wall at some club that handed out glow crayons.  And then Erin's light up tart tent. 

Roberi and Dexter imo were robbed.  Both should have been in the top as they had the best looks in daylight and it nightlight.

Another overly short time shows.  They could do a tie in with Ducolax at the rate they are going.  Simply go to Mood, eat as much fabric in a half hour as possible and then see who shits out the prettiest pile on the runway.

I suspect Brik was kept in the middle to bolster his delusion for more drama later one.  He probably should have been in the bottom or at least on warning.  But then we had Erin, Cornelius's school art project that was left out in the rain and the Lemon Pudenda Esther Williams tribute with a Shrinkie Dink raincoat thrown over it.  Fresh, Zac?  In what world?  And in what situation would you even consider that day wear? 

But Brik seems a little simple.  Like he is headed to be the most radical person a Duggar finally marries.  Male or female, doesn't matter.  I figure at the rate that family is going to stay on air, Brik is about five marriages down the ladder of mainstreaming to stay relevant. 

Zac 's comments are getting to be as bad as Nina's.  Or even Mizrahi's when he tries to sell a pile of shit made by his favorite to win on All-Stars as something that is wearable.  Or even view-able. 

I'm still seeing contestants that I swear were never shown on the two previous episodes.  Even somewhere in the background.  Like they are punking us and each week a new contestant is added that wasn't on before.

I find Mah-Ling way too precious and self-involved.  I noticed he could wail like a banshee and press one hand over his face while he "wept" but the other stayed as steady and in perfect place for camera work during that call to his fiancee and child. That was some serious Kim Kartrashian style shit there.  And way to make the absence all about 'you', dad.  Maybe a little less all about me and think about how the kid is taking you weeping and wailing uncontrollably with the camera focused front and center like that.  He is like Cameron on Modern Family.  A huge black hole of dramatic self involvement.  I also think he claims his fiancee as his muse.  But I think it is the "his' part he focuses on and not the woman herself.  It is simply a way to make his designs about himself.  Which pretty much suck in my opinion.

Unless they edited Jenni's laugh on a loop during that unnecessary and downright cringeworthy scene, I definitely think she significantly exaggerates it.  I noticed that like Mah-Ling's hand, even as she realized that the laughter from the rest had shifted as a reaction to Cornelius' comment to her laughter, there was not a single dip or shift in cadence.  I've never heard someone simply laugh like that unless it was one of those laugh boxes the Joker used.   I get the uncontrollable element, but even as the laugh persists against your control, you have rises and falls as you try to control it or simply respond to a shift like we saw.  Big phony.  I think she has a initial weird noticeable laugh as a reaction but she keeps it going because it makes her different and special.

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

Cornelius's middle school art project that had a happy face over the cooch and frownie face over the chest (not sure what that was actually about).

I don't know what the frownie face was about, but I think her breasts were dead. Each had an X on top.

• Love 12

Oh my God, Mah Jing and the crying would be bad enough if he produced anything remotely creative, attractive, or even true to the challenge.  I think that, aside from that one bizarre yellow string bikini thing from several seasons ago, that was one of the worst things to ever walk the runway.  And I have to agree with Tim, it was  better than his original creation which looked patched together, but not because of time restraints, but because that was his real vision for this challenge.  Maybe he's a nice guy but frankly I think he's out of his element.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Well, once again I have learned that I have no eye, no taste, no gene for fashion. I loved Kimber's dress. I liked the print, I liked the high-low hem, I thought it looked wonderfully glowy in in a subtle way under the black light. And to show you how far from a fashionista I truly am, the only thing I didn't like was the one-sleeve deal -- I wanted the dress to have both sleeves. I'm hopeless, I tell you.  I was saddened, but not surprised, to see it at the bottom of the pile.

I learned a long time ago this show is like opposite day for me. Whatever I like they hate and what I hate they slobber over. I do not know if that means I have no fashion sense or they are idiot judges!

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I don't know what the frownie face was about, but I think her breasts were dead. Each had an X on top.

Also, wasn't there a big smily face on the skirt at crotch level?  I really expected some commentary about that during the judging, but noooooo, they loved it!  I make no claims to know anything about fashion, but this show confounds reason and common sense.  Somehow I think Michael Kors of sainted memory would have said something.  

• Love 3

Cornelius did the most obvious, easiest, thing to do the transformation:  Use nothing but glow in the dark paint on a blank white dress.  I'm sorry, but I find that the opposite of creative.  I didn't like the white dress by itself and I thought it looked juvenile under the black light.  And I HATED the styling of the model.

It was in interesting challenge.  At least something different.  I think the runway room wasn't as dark as the room they used during the designing because some of the things didn't show up as well.  I could see a difference with Kimber's in the work room, but not on the runway.  Kinda disappointing for us and the designers.

9 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

The one on the right reminds me of people picking up glowsticks and attaching them to themselves at a phish show. (not that I would ever do such a thing myself.)

• Love 1

Did anyone notice Cornelius wearing saggy-butt coveralls very similar to Laurence's winning look?

Was Dexter's fringe suppose to be all swoopy on one side? I couldn't tell if the asymmetry was purposeful.

I have no idea what Nina's opinion was on anything. Once I got a load of those pants with the giant snake up the leg, and the flowers around the cuff, her opinion of anyone else's garment no longer interested me.

pr15-ep3-47.jpg?w=900

pr15-ep3-29.jpg?w=900

Rik lost me when he started weeping about how hard it is for his mother to pay off his school loans. A man in his 30s ought to put on his big boy pants and take responsibility for his own debt.

I just found it ironic that Heidi would call out anyone for looking like a hooker/streetwalker hoochie mama.

It was extra ironic because it appears Rik took his inspiration from her for this challenge.

pr15-ep3-1.jpg?w=900

I'm still seeing contestants that I swear were never shown on the two previous episodes.  Even somewhere in the background.  Like they are punking us and each week a new contestant is added that wasn't on before.

That woman who did the Wednesday Aadams top? Swear I've never seen her before.

• Love 7

I have a strong dislike of Mah-Jing, cemented this episode by his theatrical crying jag (fake, fake, fake) after the phone call and after the challenge.   Grow up, man up, shut up.   He should have gone home and IMHO was kept solely because he's a more of a character than Kimber.

I dislike Urkel (Cornelius) even more but IMHO he should have won.   The objective was to create a transformative garment and he did that as effectively as the designer from a couple seasons back whose dress turned colors when wet.  Problem is, the judges have already ordained Erin the winner.   I get his dissatisfaction and sniping after the judging.   It must be difficult to come so close, then have your work brushed aside because the judges are moonstruck by the Harvard-educated white girl.

Roberi's dress deserved to be top three; Jenni's didn't.   Jenni's design was supposed to do double duty, but it didn't work outside the black lights.   Without the lights it reminded me of Joanna Cassidy's outfit in Blade Runner.   

Speaking of Jenni ... ENOUGH with the laugh.   After three weeks in a row, it's not funny, just irritating.   Cynical me wonders if she employed the laugh in her audition and whether it earned her a place on the cast.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, millennium said:

I dislike Urkel (Cornelius) even more but IMHO he should have won.   The objective was to create a transformative garment and he did that as effectively as the designer from a couple seasons back whose dress turned colors when wet.  Problem is, the judges have already ordained Erin the winner.   I get his dissatisfaction and sniping after the judging.   It must be difficult to come so close, then have your work brushed aside because the judges are moonstruck by the Harvard-educated white girl.

This is the thing that bothers me. They've picked Erin as their pet this year. Like an Anya or Gretchen. I don't even think her backstory is even all that interesting.  Cornelius should've won. I hate emojis but that seemed the challenge. Erin's was boring. She was going for slutty not ethereal or angelic. Bullshit! Years of it...

• Love 1

I like that the designers had Cornelius's number from the jump and don't feed into his need to sh*t stir.  I didn't like his dress at all. I thought it looked like a playground after the rain washes away the colored chalk. Not sure who would want to be walking around sporting giant smiley heads either.   

I like Erin and what she's been able to come up with in these dopey challenges. I agree with those here who have said she seems very thoughtful in her designs.  

She seems to have separated herself from the pack this week by using baby blue for a black light challenge, by contrasting dark and light with naughty and nice and by creating her own fabric with the beaded work. I thought her moves were clever and more than what the others were going for.

I think Roberi is ok but each dress is up to their behinds. While that's often Heidi's cue to jump onboard, I keep wondering why he doesn't give them another inch or so. Looks like he either runs out of time or material.  That said, thought he deserved top three this time. Jenni's weird yellow thing under the shower curtain I didn't get at all.

I like Dexter.  Wispy little man reminds me of Diana Ross and then this great deep voice comes out of him. Something cool about him. Maybe I'll remember more of his work once the herd thins.  

The other guy needs to stop crying. I'm still figuring out who's who but I'm liking this so far.  

Nina gets more obnoxious and flighty every season. Looking forward to the day they put that old cow out to pasture.  Guest judge can take a hike, too.  

Edited by Kareem
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

It was extra ironic because it appears Rik took his inspiration from her for this challenge.

Right down to the little bows that everyone was jumping down his throat for!

Count me among those perplexed by this week's judging.  I hated all of the top looks and couldn't believe the judges didn't say anything about the "taste level" of Cornelieus' enormous smiley face on his model's crotch.  On the other hand, with the exception of Mah-Jing, who I just felt bad for with that unfortunate pink dye mishap, I didn't think the bottom designs were THAT bad, at least not compared to others the judges could have picked from.  I thought they were mostly just boring with a side of questionable taste for that former raver guy whose name I've already forgotten.  

All I can think is that maybe the black light didn't come across the same way in person as it did on TV.  Half those designs, including Brik's extremely boring white sheath of nothing, did nothing on my screen when the black light went on.  And yes, Roberi was robbed.

• Love 1

Erin is on fire. After thinking she should've also won last week, that makes her 3/3 in producing my favorite look each week. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Candice-esque shift in the editing leading to an eventual downfall, but we need a valid alternative to snatch the crown because nobody else has consistently wowed me yet. 

• Love 2

Roberti gets no love from the judges, possibly because he has real talent, and construction skills. His work was the best, but he is unable to spin a narrative with his outfit, which Erin can do so well, so he gets a lousy edit.

Did not notice Nina's awful pants...thanks for the poster who pointed them out. I ask you, are they editorial? Are they fashion-forward? Do they reek of pop culture? Of course not, they look like mom jeans made for a school picnic. 

And that guest judge...thank you to the poster who identified her. Otherwise, who dat? 

• Love 6

She has made the comment on three seasons earlier ... one involving a pregnancy challenge.  That's a popular comment from her. Since she has been married to a black man and has three bi-racial children, I seriously doubt her comment was racially tinged.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

pr15-ep3-47.jpg?w=900

pr15-ep3-29.jpg?w=900

Speaking of basic shift dresses, there's not much to the guest judge's dress besides the collar. I could have made that dress, and I don't sew. So maybe don't criticize a shift dress that has more to it than the one you're wearing? Also, it looks an OK length when she stands, but when she sits, it looks too short, as though her bottom is on the chair with no dress between the two.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2016 at 11:03 PM, Albino said:

She was a top model back in the 90's (she went by James King back then).  I met her on a go-see and she was so drugged out, obnoxious and skeletal.  Needless to say we didn't book her.  Turns out she had been a heroin addict for years, but she went into rehab and has been clean ever since.  I never thought she was a raving beauty, but she was the shit back in the day.

I was alive in the 90s. Still never heard of her, so she might not have been all that shit, though I don't pay any attention to who models are. Never understood the fascination with people whose one job is walk a straight line without falling over.

10 hours ago, slensam said:

This is the thing that bothers me. They've picked Erin as their pet this year. Like an Anya or Gretchen. I don't even think her backstory is even all that interesting.  Cornelius should've won. I hate emojis but that seemed the challenge. Erin's was boring. She was going for slutty not ethereal or angelic. Bullshit! Years of it...

I don't think they choose pets.  They favor designers who continually produce well made and interesting garments.  Erin fits that profile.  I loved her dress and it was the clear winner.  It looked beautiful in both lighting.  The emoji dress did not; it was a plain white dress with strange darts in the front in normal light.  

Nina is one of my favorite judges, always has been.  She is direct and accurate in her critique from where I sit.  

ETA.  Jenni's laugh is forced, clearly.  They did put it on a loop though which was not necessary!  One short outburst is enough.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I don't think they choose pets.

I totally, emphatically, strongly disagree with this statement! Anya & Gretchen didn't win their seasons because of design strengths; they each were given favored status (God only knows why) way before the final collections. Maybe it was the producers' idea but the judges went along with the charade. At least the Gretchen mess taught Heidi to fight for her opinions. And Nina always has at least one person she clearly dislikes for no discernible reason, who could produce the most fabulous outfit and only receive stank face from our "Fashion Director" in residence.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

I was alive in the 90s. Still never heard of her, so she might not have been all that shit, though I don't pay any attention to who models are. Never understood the fascination with people whose one job is walk a straight line without falling over.

Jamie King is an actress as well.  She was on one of my favorite little shows, "Hart of Dixie" and I thought she did a great job with her role as Lemon.  I think she's done a lot of other tv shows and movies, too.

• Love 3
On September 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM, susannot said:

Roberi's design was good and it reflected the black light very well, but wasn't it the same silhouette as the unconventional materials challenge?

Erin is head and shoulders above the others at this point.

I almost didn't watch this season, because last season was so bad, but now I'm very glad I gave this show another chance.  Erin is extraordinarily talented.  I predict that she will be a HUGE success one of these days.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:
On 9/29/2016 at 11:03 PM, Albino said:

She was a top model back in the 90's (she went by James King back then).  I met her on a go-see and she was so drugged out, obnoxious and skeletal.  Needless to say we didn't book her.  Turns out she had been a heroin addict for years, but she went into rehab and has been clean ever since.  I never thought she was a raving beauty, but she was the shit back in the day.

Seriously?

My dear  snarkers, google (and in this case the Internet Movie Database) really IS your friend before you start trashing people.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

Jamie King is an actress as well.  She was on one of my favorite little shows, "Hart of Dixie" and I thought she did a great job with her role as Lemon.  I think she's done a lot of other tv shows and movies, too.

Yes indeed:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0454809/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

Meryl Streep she ain't, but she's had a perfectly respectable career.  And she was a better guest judge than many.

This was a ho-hum challenge though. Cornelius' was the worst and I don't know why he was in the top instead of Roberi.

That side thing with that chick Sammi looks like something to be sure and miss.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

I'm just hoping Erin doesn't become insufferable. I think most of her comments are just self-confident, but she worried me a little when she said something to the effect of how SHE thinks she's awesome, but it's nice to get that affirmation from the judges. I want to like her because she's very artistic and HAS refrained from trashing others, at least intentionally, but I don't want her to become so egocentric that I eye-roll when she appears on my teevee screen.

Wings, I used to like Nina quite a bit. She's not a stupid woman, for sure, and has had a nice career. Been in fashion a long time. Having said that, though, I think she's judging from a place of snobbery these days. Please keep in mind that is just MY opinion on her opinion/s.

Jamie King didn't bother me that much, although I did feel she went over the top on both some of her critiques and some of her praise. Totally did not understand why she was saying you don't want to dress a woman like that (Rik's) "these days" unless she meant we shouldn't exploit women's sexuality? Apparently, she's NOT okay with the Kardashians. I hated the butt showing through, if that is to what she was referring, but she almost acted like it was the lacing and bows? I was heartily confused. I didn't remember her as a model, but an actress, and I had never heard rumours about her being an addict, but that wouldn't affect my opinion of her judging anyway. My husband is a former drug addict, 28 years clean, (he still calls himself an addict) and I admire him for shaking that monkey and staying sober for so long.

Enjoying this season a lot more than I thought I would after the Season of Ashley and Candice. I like nearly all of these people, except for Corny. I, too, totally understand his disappointment at coming in second, BUT, imho, it was totally classless to "whisper" (loud enough where she and everyone else could hear, of course) that Erin didn't deserve the win. That's not HIS decision, anyway, it's the judges.'

• Love 2

I had exactly zero problems with the comments ofthe guest judge, even if I had no idea who she was. Most of these people are non-entities to me. That's true of most designers and models. However, I found nothing egregious or even wrong about her comments. 

On a side note, if she's a former addict, good for her for getting her shit together. There are lots of people who are adored who never do. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Well she was not on a Christy, Linda or Naomi level but she was an "It" girl for a good while.  

To be fair, at that time I worked in fashion advertising, so maybe that's why I remember her so well.  I had no idea she became an actress!

• Love 1
On September 30, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

to get better at not telegraphing who's leaving, OK? I knew Kimber was a goner from the first five minutes, even with the insertion of the weepy phone call home by Mah-Jing as a distraction.

I call Erin and Roberi for the final. The third is trickier--Jenni? Alex? Laurence? 

Exactly. They showed her and I wondered, Who's Kimber? Then realized she was next one auffed. Though the MahJing drama gave me a moment's pause.

And the judges really didn't have to go on and on and on about hotel room sheets and could also have spent a lot less time outdoing each other's hoochie-mama criticisms. Too too much. Specially when one of the judges, as so many have pointed out, seems to gravitate to hoochi-mama wear. 

On September 30, 2016 at 11:58 AM, pbutler111 said:

I have no doubt that Jenni is grossly exaggerating her laugh to distinguish herself from the crowd. All she's doing with that is distinguishing herself as incredibly annoying.

I started thinking it had to be editing and I think @wings707 nailed it that they actually had it on a loop. And there had to be some exaggeration.

Alex is getting a little too precious for me. We heard his Lady of Shade thing once already. That's enough. He just seems kind of full of himself and above everyone else.

Erin too. She's talented and is able to get a lot done in a little time but I'm not seeing where she's all that

Still too many people. Can we vote Brik off? I think he spent more time on his hair than that sad little dress.

Didn't recognize "Jamie" King but do remember James King. Isn't she a bit old to be part of Taylor Swift's crew? I guess I'll check out her designs. Maybe that's the "fit".

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I totally, emphatically, strongly disagree with this statement! Anya & Gretchen didn't win their seasons because of design strengths; they each were given favored status (God only knows why) way before the final collections. Maybe it was the producers' idea but the judges went along with the charade. At least the Gretchen mess taught Heidi to fight for her opinions. And Nina always has at least one person she clearly dislikes for no discernible reason, who could produce the most fabulous outfit and only receive stank face from our "Fashion Director" in residence.

The most egregious example, to me, is last year's winner, Ashley, and based on what Tim wrote in the Washington Post, it's not just guessing to say so.  Ashley was favored specifically because she designed for "plus size," and she played the sympathy card quite well.  Anya had a designer's eye but no skill, so her garments were all very one-note - sleeveless, flowing, no-construction-skills-needed garments.  As for Gretchen, she had the skill and she had the vision, I just hated what she loved to make - mud-colored granny panties outfits with, according to Nina, wonderful styling.  

So, I think it's fair to say there have been some "pets," but at the same time, many times I do love what Nina has to say.  Somebody this week bored her!  Oh no!  Don't. Bore. Nina!!

• Love 3