Type keyword(s) to search

The Durrells In Corfu - General Discussion

• Start Topic

lots of men are continuously flirtatious and have "work wives" that sometimes stray into infatuation or even romance.  I felt in this episode Spiros was flinging anvils at Louisa to put such ideas OUT of her head, realizing how jealous she was of the Ferraris ... typical head-in-clouds self-centered Louisa (as, arguably when was with Sven).  Getting to the bottom of the Ferrari's secrets and getting rid of them -- coup (particularly since they were broke and were not enrich Spiros.  Still in her magical thinking way, Spiross' affection for her and her brood is earned by their special-ness while the Ferraris were there new -- to be loathed and envied -- rich kids in town .... until they weren't.

I couldn't remember if the Ferrari daugthers were aware their brother was actually taking the fall or has also just discovered their father was using him as a cover for his crime.  I have expected murky circumstances of their mother's death. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, SusanSunflower said:

lots of men are continuously flirtatious and have "work wives" that sometimes stray into infatuation or even romance.  I felt in this episode Spiros was flinging anvils at Louisa to put such ideas OUT of her head, realizing how jealous she was of the Ferraris ... typical head-in-clouds self-centered Louisa (as, arguably when was with Sven).  Getting to the bottom of the Ferrari's secrets and getting rid of them -- coup (particularly since they were broke and were not enrich Spiros.  Still in her magical thinking way, Spiross' affection for her and her brood is earned by their special-ness while the Ferraris were there new -- to be loathed and envied -- rich kids in town .... until they weren't.

The only problem I have with thinking Spiros was desperately trying get it threw Louisa's think head that he isn't interested is. Spiro's seems to get jealous when Louisa is dating anyone. He showed up when Louisa was on that date with (can't remember his name, but he had a awesome little red car). He didn't like the idea that Louisa might start dating Mr. Ferraris. He also flirts with her which ok some married men do, but if he's desperate to get those type of ideas out of Louisa's head then he needs to stop flirting with her. This last episode when Spiros and Louisa were making up he insisted she call him handsome twice. He makes eyes at Louisa and she makes eyes at him. 

IDK it seems like the show wants it both ways. They want us to root for Spiro and Louisa, but also think Louisa as her head in the clouds and can't see that Spiro is treating the Ferraris just like he treated her family and that they really don't have a special relationship. I'm getting annoyed by the whole thing to be honest.  

• Love 1

Hmmmm...probably my least favorite episode of the season so far. Between a depressed spiros and gerry hitting adolescence...kinda a dreary episode.

Something that's been bothering me all season: has the makeup person for keeley changed??? Because she's been looking extremely orange this season and with the darker lipstick...it just hasn't looked the best. 

Sven!!!! So does everyone at the party know he and the other dude are an item or are half of them still under the assumption that they're just friends...??? Because last week even the newbie italian family somehow found out about him. I was just kinda surprised sven and what's-his-face were talking about sven's creaky knees during the night hours to the doctor so casually. I thought they were still supposed to be on the down-low. Although i guess the doctor might be in the know, but what about the people not as familiar with sven?

Jealous of gerry's bunny cake. I could be 80 years old and i'd be ecstatic if someone made me a bunny cake for my bday. 

of course best son is the first to comment on lugaretzia's red scarf :)

• Love 9

I really love Larry - he just sort of floats through life in a charmed manner, and everything is easy for him. He can’t speak Greek and he doesn’t really care, but he ends up getting hired to be a fireman where Leslie failed. I liked how he just moved into the firehouse with his typewriter and continues to just do his thing. He’s such a firstborn!

Now that I think about it, they all seem to follow typical birth order behavior- Leslie and Margo both act like middle children and Gerald is definitely the baby!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Jealous of gerry's bunny cake. I could be 80 years old and i'd be ecstatic if someone made me a bunny cake for my bday. 

That bunny cake was adorable!  I guess I should feel sorry for Gerry, his mom can't even remember how old he is exactly, but I find him annoying as heck so I don't. 

ETA: so Spiro's wife leaves him...Isn't that convenient. I guess Spiro and Louisa will be a thing...

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I really love Larry - he just sort of floats through life in a charmed manner

The actor is wonderful, too.  I was truly laughing out loud at the faces he was making while Spiros was trying to teach him his depressing songs.

Leslie is becoming a fabulous actor, too.  The way his face lit up when his baby mama arrived at the party was heart warming.

From the look on Louisa's face, at the end, I think she's going to go through some well deserved guilt throes for her part in breaking up the marriage.  Duh Louisa. Did you really think a man could be spending countless days, and some evenings,  doing unpaid projects for a single woman and the wife would be happy about it?  Spiros has been mooning over Louisa since the day he first set eyes on her and she's just been lapping it up and using it to her advantage, when she should have been discouraging it.  Spiros must have seen the effect it was having on his wife and just kept doing it. I'm entirely on his wife's side, but I'll bet last week's information that Spiros 'had to" marry her is the beginning of a story that's intended to make us unsympathetic to her.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

but I'll bet last week's information that Spiros 'had to" marry her is the beginning of a story that's intended to make us unsympathetic to her.

Maybe not so much unsympathetic as thinking it was never that happy a marriage to begin with.  A lot of marriages which started out that way never got much better for either partner, and it wasn't until the mid-to-late 20th century when divorce was a real option for women except under a few, very specific circumstances.

That said, I was happy to hear that Spiros' wife had left him because I totally ship him and Louisa.  If that makes me a bad person, I can live with it.

13 hours ago, Fireball said:

That bunny cake was adorable!  I guess I should feel sorry for Gerry, his mom can't even remember how old he is exactly, but I find him annoying as heck so I don't. 

Gerry has always been my least favorite Durrell, and this episode only reinforced that.

But Larry rocks.  And of course it was Leslie who noticed Lugaretzia's scarf.

• Love 8

Such manipulative writing ... they've (MP) have done this before and it's part of why for me they've lost trust

There is a wife, there are children, but how many and how old and where they are is a mystery. IME, after a few years association (given holiday cycles and human events) various "statuses" become apparent.  The recluse may be a recluse or may have a "secret".  Someone may have a spouse but be separated -- but that becomes clearer with holiday invites and presents for children.  People can be deliberately deceptive --usually not for purely matters of privacy. 

I found Spiro oddly boorish and was confused why he was forcing himself on Leslie and then Larry.  His wife "changed" or maybe he neglected her or -- just maybe -- she got tired of pitying glances from folks who assumed she was tolerating her husband's affair with Louisa.  Did Louisa and Spiro go off unchaparoned by a child or another adult?  Given Louisa's rather fragile mental state I'd have expected Larry to check out Spiro's "intentions" and status. I think we're supposed to like him (and maybe think he has boundary issues) for loaning the Ferrari's money he couldn't afford to lose.  Where does this money (savings/nest egg) come from that it's even available to be lost?  Anyway, where is the Spiro family living and who is buying their groceriees (and why not just kick Spiro out to sleep in the car? ). 

Strange episode altogether with miserable (inarticulate but brilliant) Gerry at the center.  Those mosquitoes were the size of moths. I've never heard of such a thing (but likely a hazard for caged animals who need mosquito proof shelters. 

So, Spiro and Louisa can have a near-miss (possibly having discovered everyone assumed they were "doin' it" all along -- afternoon delight in the convertible -- oops, too late.  With Louisa, one doesn't know if she wants to be enfolded in those big brown arms (who wouldn't?) or to marry him and provide a father for her children (Spiro?) 

and Larry strupping the young girl in the closet ...   If Gerry's 13, how old is Margo? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SusanSunflower said:

Such manipulative writing ... they've (MP) have done this before and it's part of why for me they've lost trust

There is a wife, there are children, but how many and how old and where they are is a mystery. IME, after a few years association (given holiday cycles and human events) various "statuses" become apparent.  The recluse may be a recluse or may have a "secret".  Someone may have a spouse but be separated -- but that becomes clearer with holiday invites and presents for children.  People can be deliberately deceptive --usually not for purely matters of privacy. 

I found Spiro oddly boorish and was confused why he was forcing himself on Leslie and then Larry.  His wife "changed" or maybe he neglected her or -- just maybe -- she got tired of pitying glances from folks who assumed she was tolerating her husband's affair with Louisa.  Did Louisa and Spiro go off unchaparoned by a child or another adult?  Given Louisa's rather fragile mental state I'd have expected Larry to check out Spiro's "intentions" and status. I think we're supposed to like him (and maybe think he has boundary issues) for loaning the Ferrari's money he couldn't afford to lose.  Where does this money (savings/nest egg) come from that it's even available to be lost?  Anyway, where is the Spiro family living and who is buying their groceriees (and why not just kick Spiro out to sleep in the car? ). 

Strange episode altogether with miserable (inarticulate but brilliant) Gerry at the center.  Those mosquitoes were the size of moths. I've never heard of such a thing (but likely a hazard for caged animals who need mosquito proof shelters. 

So, Spiro and Louisa can have a near-miss (possibly having discovered everyone assumed they were "doin' it" all along -- afternoon delight in the convertible -- oops, too late.  With Louisa, one doesn't know if she wants to be enfolded in those big brown arms (who wouldn't?) or to marry him and provide a father for her children (Spiro?) 

and Larry strupping the young girl in the closet ...   If Gerry's 13, how old is Margo? 

Eh, I didn't find it manipulative at all.  I like the characters (for the most part), and enjoy just rolling along with the story.  I haven't been analyzing it too deeply.  But hey, whatever works.

Spiros did say that his wife had taken the children to her family in Athens.

I did wonder about the age of Florence's cousin (I think it was cousin).  I'm hoping she's a little older than she looks.

• Love 3

I wouldn't  mind Louisa having an affair with Spiro now that he is separated from his wife but I doubt they have a future.  Could he and his wife even divorce?  And while Corfu is in some ways a magical place it cannot escape real life history.  I flinched last episode when Mussolini was mentioned.  It reminded me that for Expats like the Durrells there is an expiration date to their stay in Corfu.

The actor playing Larry is so talented and such a charmer. I am looking forward to seeing him on The Crown.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, magdalene said:

The actor playing Larry is so talented and such a charmer. I am looking forward to seeing him on The Crown.

Off topic: But what role is Larry going to play on The Crown?

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2
On 11/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, proserpina65 said:

Eh, I didn't find it manipulative at all.  I like the characters (for the most part), and enjoy just rolling along with the story.  I haven't been analyzing it too deeply.  But hey, whatever works.

Spiros did say that his wife had taken the children to her family in Athens.

I did wonder about the age of Florence's cousin (I think it was cousin).  I'm hoping she's a little older than she looks.

This was actually my favorite episode of the show so far.   There was so much going on, and people did actually make progress.  Gerry needed to convince his mother that he was growing up and needed to be treated differently.  Louisa did need to get shocked by Gerry and Spiros.  Spiros needed to tell her what was actually going on.  Leslie and Daphne are actually having a relationship.

Florence's cousin, the womanly woman, said she was 17.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Since season 3 is set In 1937, I would think season 4 will be the last, perhaps? They will have to leave soon.

They have announced  that season 4 is the last, yes. So one more PBS fall season in 2019 for us here in the US with the Durrells. They will have gone through all the book stories by then, and Josh O'Connor will be busy filming The Crown.

• Love 1

Meh, manipulative is not kmowing if Spiro intends to fight for his marriage and access to his children and/or if his wife gave him any reason to hope reconciliation is possible. 

Not knowing how old they are --- 13 and 14 year old boys are not the same as 4 children under the age of 10. 

Why ruining Spiro's marriagle (n part, by hid neglect) would greenlight an "affair" is beyond me ... except she knows he.sleeps.alone. (or so we assume).  

Louisa doesn't seem like a libertine to would leap into bed with a grieving Spiro .... (again, not sympathetic to me) ... the IRL Louisa was much more sympathetic and vulnerable and "likeable".... imho ... and her out of control children were the product of her inability to cope and exert discipline. Obviously, YMMV. 

Spiro and Louisa could have been carrying on wildly for months (to the shame of Mrs. Spiros).  I'm not anti-sex but I'm not sure Louisa isn't something of a prude in these matters and/or that others would have warned her about preserving her "reputation" among the locals. 

I love how sven always seems half-amused by everything, even when stuck in jail. He has a very chill personality. I admire that. 

Funniest part of the episode was when larry and co. dressed up as lawyers, slow-mo'd their way down to the police station, got in a few angry lawyer-like lines and then larry blows it by forgetting the key (or was it the lock?) to his chains.

Wish we could have seen sven thank louisa as well for making up that story and flirting with the police officer to get him out of jail. 

Too bad about the inheritance falling through.

That last shot was beautiful. The camera work this episode was definitely more...adventurous? with the swooping and such. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 11

I found it really sad when Larry's breaking, entering, and stealing caused Leslie to resign from a job he loved.  

I liked the consistent story line that people just "drop in" on the family even though they are far removed in Corfu.

• Love 10

Of course they had the invisible wife and kids leave, only to return an episode later. Pretty darn cliche. What are the chances that she and the kids will be made visible next season? 5%? 

Poor Louisa does deserve to find love though. She's been emotionally kicked to the curb all season. 

I also feel a bit bad for leslie. I had my suspicions back when daphne conveniently announced her pregnancy and then there was the doctor's checkup where leslie couldn't make it, but the way the rest of the episodes went i honestly thought they were diverting the whole 'not really his baby' thing. But i guess not :/

It really was a bad day for love for the durrells. Margo and zoltan breaking up was kinda a bummer too. They were oddly sweet together and the doll house gift of the durrell's house + aunt hermione was super sweet.

I love it how larry's always there for louisa. :') They're my favorite relationship on this show. How did the group of people stay hidden around the corner when louisa and spiros were kinda saying goodbye to their short-lived romance??? Kinda awkwardly placed, imo.

The durrells opening a bed and breakfast? I can see it. I hope this means more wacky guests.

Second episode in a row that was a bit of a downer (and the season finale to boot). 

I still think the best episode of the season was the one with Prince and the Cap. It was probably the most feel-good episode of the season and it just felt magical.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 6

In the opening scene, Lucretzia was hilariously freaking out watching Spiro and Luisa advanced in proximity ... I'm pretty sure she tipped off Mrs. Spiros. 

eta:  Did Spiros gets his brakes fixed (after refusing help from Luisa)?  It felt like anvil-flinging last eposide and then nothing so I'm hoping that death defying (or not) driving isn't in his future. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

In regard to Spiros and Louisa, I felt like that was a whole lot of nothing after seasons of build-up. I've always had a soft spot for Spiros and the torch he carried for Lousia, but I could not handle the ridiculous googly-eyes he was making at her at the circus. It was just so over-the-top. 

That being said, I loved the scene of Larry comforting his mother. I would kill Larry in real life, but he is my absolute favorite Durrell and is the best part of the show for me. Didn't realize until reading on this thread that Josh O'Connor was cast in The Crown, but I am even more excited than I was when I found out about them casting Tobias Menzies. Glad he seems to be on the rise. 

Margo used to be my least-favorite member of the family, but she's really grown on me. Ditto for Leslie. I find Gerry insufferable now. . . . 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

In the opening scene, Lucretzia was hilariously freaking out watching Spiro and Luisa advanced in proximity ... I'm pretty sure she tipped off Mrs. Spiros. 

eta:  Did Spiros gets his brakes fixed (after refusing help from Luisa)?  It felt like anvil-flinging last eposide and then nothing so I'm hoping that death defying (or not) driving isn't in his future. 

Spiros was a real person and he was very well liked and admired by the younger Durrells, especially Larry.  Henry Miller also thought very highly of him. Actually, it was when I was reading about Miller's time on Corfu that I learned that 

Spoiler

during Miller's return to Corfu - after the Durrells had left for England - Miller was told by Spiros son that his father had died.  Louisa lived to old age in England.  I don't know how much this show romantic bond between Louisa and Spiros was based on reality and obviously all these people eventually died - but this was still a bummer to read.

• Love 2

Delighted to know Spiro survived the Durrells of Corfu  --- Checkov's Gun  .... Spiro's brakes ... possibly not WWII, which was vicious throughout Greek region. 

I would have liked a post-arrest check in with Sven .... life without Viggo and the reaction of his neighbors..

• Love 4
On 11/19/2018 at 5:54 PM, Zella said:

That being said, I loved the scene of Larry comforting his mother. I would kill Larry in real life, but he is my absolute favorite Durrell and is the best part of the show for me. Didn't realize until reading on this thread that Josh O'Connor was cast in The Crown, but I am even more excited than I was when I found out about them casting Tobias Menzies. Glad he seems to be on the rise. 

Margo used to be my least-favorite member of the family, but she's really grown on me. Ditto for Leslie. I find Gerry insufferable now. . . . 

You took the words right out of my mouth! I loved Larry this season - he brought a lot of humor in a season that felt darker to me with Aunt Hermione dying and Leslie’s storyline. This episode I laughed at him serenading the sloth - so funny! At the same time, he also showed a lot of maturity in how he dealt with Louisa.

I too found Margo less annoying and actually thought her ending with Zoltan was bittersweet, which is surprising since I never cared much about their relationship.

Gerry was annoying all season - maybe because his age?

I am glad Louisa and Spiros did not hook up - it was kind of gross to me knowing he was married with small kids.....

I am glad this show is coming back for one more season!

• Love 6

I just found this show last week and I'm so glad! I'm on season 2, almost the end. I didn't love every episode but I always liked it. The family is growing on me and favorites I had change with each show and season. I would love to spend a day with them. : )

I will try not to binge too much so it will last but I'll be sorry to see it go. I liked reading about the real characters and the short videos on Amazon about making it. It was so cool that they found a village to film the scenes in town that wasn't a set. Milo does a great job as Gerry for his age and reading about what he became and what he has done was very interesting.

I need a Spiros in my life, but alas I will trudge along without the knight to get me out of jams. : )

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

So the masterpiece pbs twitter account spelled our wonderful Corfu man as ""spiros" and i am now even more confused about how to properly spell his name. On the site it's spiro but for other places it's spiros and i don't know anything anymore.

FWIW, the subtitles (on ITV) give it as Spiro, as does the Radio Times. Greek nouns do decline though, so it's possible he's "Spiro" when addressing him and "Spiros" when talking about him (sorry, never studied Greek, so I can't say).

(edited)
21 hours ago, John Potts said:

FWIW, the subtitles (on ITV) give it as Spiro, as does the Radio Times. Greek nouns do decline though, so it's possible he's "Spiro" when addressing him and "Spiros" when talking about him (sorry, never studied Greek, so I can't say).

I’ve seen subtitles do it both ways in just one episode of the show. When Louisa said his name it was spelled Spiros, but in a separate part when identifying he was the one speaking it was spelled Spiro. This was on Amazon prime. Very weird. 

Edited by Stuffy

Because this is the sort of thing that really bugs me, I actually borrowed "The Corfu Trilogy" from the library - I can quote the first Chapter: "Spiro's my name, Spiro Hakiaopulis." Which should be definitive if it didn't go on to imitate his Greek accent by adding an 's' to the end of random words in the same paragraph: "'Spiros,' I says, 'Yous mades enough', so I comes back to Greece.'" So I think his name is actually Spiro, but to imitate his accent it's sometimes written as Spiros. Though as far as I can see, he's always referred to in the text as Spiro.

As for the first couple of episodes of Season 4, I felt really sorry for Louisa. It must be really hard wrangling her family (and now guests), so I was so glad she got to have all her fellow ladies round. And I thought Gerry was extremely brave to stand up for his beliefs in the face of an unstable man with a rifle (though good on Leslie for tackling him - eventually).

• Love 4

Having watched the final episode and finished the Corfu Trilogy, it's notable how the focus of the show differs from that of the book - on the show, you'd say Louisa is the central character, but the book is entirely from Gerry's perspective (Margot is barely a character and Larry is completely insufferable). The world outside the island barely exists (the only mention of the war is in the epilogue to Birds, Beasts and Relatives) and Basil isn't mentioned at all (which makes me wonder if he wasn't invented for the series). And while Spiro is regularly mentioned, there is no suggestion of anything between him and "Mother" in the Book (he's also portrayed as being rather older, though that may be just the child's perspective - though even the first Book was published in the 50s so there's probably some revisionism).

Still, even if it wasn't true to the Book (or possibly real life, though how true Gerry's account of events is also open to debate), I did find the way the series ended with the family leaving to be moving. (And IRL, both Margot and Gerry had their ashes scattered on Corfu, so it clearly had a profound effect on them).

• Love 4
On 4/7/2019 at 11:41 PM, John Potts said:

You're absolutely right. If he's the subject of a sentence (basically when we're referring to who) it's "Spiros."

If we're referring to whom (eg something going towards him, or giving him something) then it's "Spiro." Also when you call him it's "Spiro."

The above applies to men's names; the endings on female names are easier.

I've only just discovered this thread. I've only seen the first two seasons. On the one hand I want to see it 'cause Corfu is really beautiful on the other it really irritates me that the series is so different from what I remember from the books. Also, I find a lot of the behaviour to be too modern. Granted, I don't know a lot about Corfu but my father is from one of the islands that's in the same group of islands as Corfu and judging from the stories that my father has told me and from old Greek movies made in the 50s and 60s a lot of things just seem unlikely to me:

• First of all, I doubt people would have been so chill about Sven being gay
  • Margo (with her boyfriends) and Vasilia (who was sleeping with Larry and, presumably, Hugh) would definitely be gossiped about; people might not say anything to their faces (to Margo 'cause she's English and to Vasilia 'cause she's reasonably well off- at least I assume she is since she has property). I think there was a scene between Louisa and Vasilia at the market; honestly people would have bedn giving Vasilia the side eye or whispering among themselves about her. Come to think of it, the Durrels would also have been gossiped about.
  • Birthing was always the women's domain. It's unlikely that Lugretzia would allow a man who is not a doctor and who knows nothing about birthing anywhere near her pregnant daughter even if Leslie is her favourite. In those days not even the fathers were in the same room as the mother.
  • I read that Spiros' wife leaves him. No way, no how, it would never happen. In those days women were expected to stay with their husbands regardless of the husband's behaviour (abuser, alcoholic, gambler, unfaithful; it doesn't matter, you stayed). Leaving your husband would have been a huge scandal especially in a closed society like Corfu.

Lastly, I want to say that I'm not liking Alexis Georgoulis as Spiros at all; you can see him acting as the loud Greek; the scenes where he speaks Greek in an irritated tone or when he was dancing at the baptism so, so fake. On the other hand, I'm loving Yorgos Karamihos as Theo - the way he speaks (both in Greek and English) and his mannerisms so different from ajything I've seen him do before. I'm also loving the actor playing Larry.

• Love 2

It's so good to have the durrells back for one last season! This show always warms my heart. 

• What happened to all the guests at the end of last season? There was probably a good dozen + of them and they've all vanished save for basil and the two girls.
  • The police officer bringing up the drink thing that louisa mentioned from last season made me happy. Just the continuity of it. I love it when shows don't slack on the details like that.
  • My prayers have been answered: last year i had issues with louisa's whole makeup/styling. She's already looking less fake-tanned and they toned down the lipstick from last season. Back to more of a natural look. 
  • Based on this episode i have hopes that they've learned to curb back on all those blurry out of focus shots they did last season. 
  • The camera shot that starts outside the house and moves through the window to show louisa was lovely.
  • Gerry's voice has dropped!!!
  • Something that's changed: i'm no longer as fond of louisa x spiros as i was in the past. I know he's unhappy and all that, but he's still married so the romance is a bit more...eeehhh :(. Also, while i didn't mind it being more in the background, i can't say i'm too fond of it taking the forefront. It's starting to feel dragged out and not in a good way considering it really only just started a handful of episodes ago. Especially now that the wife's back to be an obvious obstacle.
  • Larry's moving out!!! Say it ain't so!!!! Will he really move out this time?
  •  The revolutionary-in-hiding was fun.
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

It's so good to have the durrells back for one last season! This show always warms my heart. 

• What happened to all the guests at the end of last season? There was probably a good dozen + of them and they've all vanished save for basil and the two girls.
  • The police officer bringing up the drink thing that louisa mentioned from last season made me happy. Just the continuity of it. I love it when shows don't slack on the details like that.
  • My prayers have been answered: last year i had issues with louisa's whole makeup/styling. She's already looking less fake-tanned and they toned down the lipstick from last season. Back to more of a natural look. 
  • Based on this episode i have hopes that they've learned to curb back on all those blurry out of focus shots they did last season. 
  • The camera shot that starts outside the house and moves through the window to show louisa was lovely.
  • Gerry's voice has dropped!!!
  • Something that's changed: i'm no longer as fond of louisa x spiros as i was in the past. I know he's unhappy and all that, but he's still married so the romance is a bit more...eeehhh :(. Also, while i didn't mind it being more in the background, i can't say i'm too fond of it taking the forefront. It's starting to feel dragged out and not in a good way considering it really only just started a handful of episodes ago. Especially now that the wife's back to be an obvious obstacle.
  • Larry's moving out!!! Say it ain't so!!!! Will he really move out this time?
  •  The revolutionary-in-hiding was fun.

Hehe You and I share a lot of thoughts on this! Enjoyed having the Durrells back and am sad this is the final season. 

Gerry's voice is changing and he has gotten so much taller! 

I hope Larry moving out means we aren't deprived of too much Larry. In person, I'd probably strangle him, but as a viewer, he's one of my absolute favorites.

And I loved the idea of Spiros and Louisa as an item, but I really disliked the reality of it last season and am hoping that moves more to the background. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I wonder if Larry moved out so he could go do some filming for "The Crown?"

I would like to see Leslie's lady-love and her baby come to live with them and more Lucretzia. The two sexy girls (cousins?) can leave anytime, they just seem so out of place in Corfu.

The arrogant police chief is a hoot.

I heard the name "Spiro" clearly pronounced several times and then the English captions while they were speaking Greek was "Spiros."  It's a bigger mystery than the wife thing was.

• Love 3
Just now, Ohwell said:

So Louisa is just sitting there, like a spider, waiting for Spiro's wife to die?  She actually said that.  What a horrible woman.

The whole situation is just awkward now isn't it?  They should have kept it to the subtle flirtation with no serious intent that it was before last season. 

Louisa needs someone like the olive farmer (only permanently in Corfu) to show up and give her a reason to dig out the red lipstick.

I think it's time for Margot to have a real story line, and not just bits of comic relief.  

• Love 3