Type keyword(s) to search

The Durrells In Corfu - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, JudyObscure said:

Could Spiros live in another village in the hills and just come down to the sea to drive the taxi?  Could the doctor's wife only think he's married because Louisa told him he was?  Could the family he talks about be his parents and siblings? 

Or am I being pathetic in my wishful thinking?

Family doesn't have to mean wife and children.  Although he could also be a widower with children.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2017 at 10:45 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

And Hugh was kind of an A-hole to Vasilia.  She is kind of nutty, but maybe he didn't have to be so cruel when letting her know they'd never be together?  I don't know, but he probably wouldn't have been stabbed if he had been a bit nicer in letting her down, is all I'm saying!

Except that there wasn’t any question about his not wanting to be in a relationship with Vasilia anymore. At some point, Hugh had to be VERY CLEAR about that.  This wasn’t his first time telling her-it was the umpteenth.

• Love 6

Why do so many posters doubt that Spiro is married?  It has been said many times, even by Louisa.  (And he was married in real life, but older, as has been noted here.) 

I would enjoy this more if they had not named it after the Gerald Durrell memoirs -- the plots are fine, except nothing to do with the actual stories he wrote about the Durrells. 

• Love 1
On 11/27/2017 at 12:47 AM, jjj said:

Why do so many posters doubt that Spiro is married?  It has been said many times, even by Louisa.  (And he was married in real life, but older, as has been noted here.) 

You'd think with how close-knit the durrells and spiros seem to be (and how prominent of a role spiros has in the show) that we'd have seen his wife introduced or interacting with the family at this point (unless there's a certain reason behind it). Heck, even spiros barely mentions her. It just seems a bit odd, so that's why some of us are kinda suspicious about spiros' marriage status.

• Love 5

It feels so good to have this show back on air :') I've missed it so much. I look forward to this show more than poldark nowadays.

Well, Leslie being ditched by all three girls in the end was pretty predictable. Waddya think was gonna happen? Surprised that Lugaretzia's niece?relative showed back up with Leslie though. Though based on the previews that might not last long either, maybe. 

This is actually the first time Gerry's behavior towards his mother really, truly irked me a bit. I was fine with it was when he was younger, but now...please respect your mother a bit more please. Like, Larry and Leslie have their bratty moments when they squabble with their mom, but i feel like it never quite crosses the line, you know. Gerry's just blatantly ignoring his mother's wishes at this point. 

Theo is as adorable as ever.

Surprised at how Louisa's friend behaved. Yes, a new baby is exhausting, but I wasn't sure at first if they were gonna aim for a postpartum depression storyline or what, because even Louisa seemed thrown off with her friend's behavior in that first scene. Nanny Margo to the rescue I guess.

I couldn't tell if it was just our tv or the makeup or just how it was filmed, but did anyone think they all looked extra fake spray tan orange-ish in every other scene? Hmmm...

And as always, the new opening credits are delightful as ever. It's so fun to point out the stuff that'll end up being in a future episode this season.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

It feels so good to have this show back on air :') I've missed it so much. I look forward to this show more than poldark nowadays.

Me too! The Durrells always put the goofiest grin on my face. 

• Love 6
On 9/30/2018 at 7:42 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Surprised that Lugaretzia's niece?relative showed back up with Leslie though.

I'm not - remember, he is her favorite ;-p

This is actually the first time Gerry's behavior towards his mother really, truly irked me a bit.

Gerry is actually my least favorite character. He's so one-note - he doesn't do anything except tend the animals, and I think it's ridiculous that he isn't being made to go to school. I know these stories are somewhat based on his writings, but he could not be there and I wouldn't miss him. And if he wants to be a vegetarian, he can get his own food. It's not nice that they all are forced to be vegetarians against their wills.

Surprised at how Louisa's friend behaved.

It is a little surprising, but maybe Florence (?) has postpartum depression? Or maybe, being older, she is used to having just herself to take care of and it's more of a shock than when people are younger and more adaptable. Plus, being older, she's probably just more tired......I hope Margo does a better job at nannying than she did at filing!

• Love 4

Aunt Hermione noooooooooooo :'( I was not expecting that, especially after she had just changed her tune and seemed to be fitting in quite nicely. 

Leslie really is the problem child of the family. My goodness boy, first your jail drama and now this. Let's see how this goes now. 

Spiros nooooooooooo no no no. Now that it seems to be officially official that the wife seems to be alive... :(. The way he worded it, i wonder if the wife was pregnant with his child or someone elses when he decided to marry her. And now I wonder what she thinks of spiros hanging out with the durrells and co. practically 24/7. Spiros is emotionally cheating on his wife at this point. :/ although I feel like the love vs duty thing is eluding to a marriage out of duty with spiros...hmmmm everything's kinda muddled now. I need more deets please. 

Lugaretzia mentioning she's gonna start on making baby clothes...she loves 'best son' so much. :')

i'm feeling really bad for louisa this season. Only two episodes in and i feel like she's taken a huge emotional beating. She looked so sad and lonely at the end of of last week's episode when she was looking around the table at all the happy faces and now auntie is dead, she's now possibly gonna be a grandma and her son is now a messy ball of emotions and now she has to go back to the place she escaped from. She just looks so emotionally drained at this point. Please let her rest. 

• Love 6

I wonder if last night's story was in the original book.  It's hard for me to believe that a Greek father in the 1950's would take today's, "I'll pay some money and be in the baby's life," as an acceptable alternative to marriage.   The whole cheery, circle of life theme was sort of ruined for me knowing that both mother and child will probably be shamed and shunned by the village forever.

• Love 11

I feel terrible for the girl Leslie got pregnant. Especially now that he is weaseling out of the whole situation.  He'll be okay - boys will be boys, blah, blah, blah. But what is going to happen to her? I doubt that Greek society, which is ruled by men, will take kindly to an unwed pregnant girl. Didn't they stone women sometimes for reasons like this?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I wonder if last night's story was in the original book.  It's hard for me to believe that a Greek father in the 1950's would take today's, "I'll pay some money and be in the baby's life," as an acceptable alternative to marriage.   The whole cheery, circle of life theme was sort of ruined for me knowing that both mother and child will probably be shamed and shunned by the village forever.

It's the 1930s!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, magdalene said:

I feel terrible for the girl Leslie got pregnant. Especially now that he is weaseling out of the whole situation.  He'll be okay - boys will be boys, blah, blah, blah. But what is going to happen to her? I doubt that Greek society, which is ruled by men, will take kindly to an unwed pregnant girl. Didn't they stone women sometimes for reasons like this?

Even Louisa tried to make Leslie understand the awful position he's put Daphne in. Not enough to strongly encourage/make Leslie marry her, but still.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Spiros nooooooooooo no no no. Now that it seems to be officially official that the wife seems to be alive...

For me, the episode didn't answer that question at all.  I mean, I knew he had a wife, but I still don't know if she's alive or not.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

It was fun seeing Henry Lloyd-Hughes as one of Larry's bohemian friends. :D

He is fine. He was my favorite on Indian Summers.  And obviously he has quite a range.

I love this show. I love the way there are no sacred cows. It makes fun in one breath of Louisa's stuffy relatives and in the other of the bohemian set.  But at the core of the show is a lot of heart and love in Louisa and her eccentric children.

And every once in a while the show really delivers a punch in the gut. Like with that poor abused donkey.  I know the animal wasn't actually abused but those scenes made me furious.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I've had my eye on him since Indian Summers!

That's where I'd seen him before.  I hated that show, and only watched the first season, so no wonder I couldn't quite place him.

9 hours ago, magdalene said:

And every once in a while the show really delivers a punch in the gut. Like with that poor abused donkey.  I know the animal wasn't actually abused but those scenes made me furious.

I so wanted to bring the poor thing home.

• Love 2

The poor donkey :'( glad it's okay.

So that guy was in Indian Summers? My mom and i only watched like 3 episodes of that show. Was he the brother? Thought he looked familiar, but i was thinking more along the lines of him having showed up as one of mary's one and done suitors back in season 1. Lol.

This is more of the gerry i prefer. Just showing his genuine love for animals and not back-talking his mom and others 24/7.

Hopefully leslie can do well at his job once he actually starts. Not sure about the superior officer though. Seems a bit corrupt. Accidently shooting someone shouldn't really be the norm...

Not as fond of spiros this season. He feels like he's coming off as much more...macho man-ish? Frat boy-like? this season (or at least moreso this season- I know he was always a little bit like that). Like the way he's carrying himself this season? I don't know.

Points for multiple people calling Louisa pretty this episode. She really is. :')

so does this mean louisa's due for some cash from aunt hermione soon? Any inheritance?

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

So Leslie is a police officer now.  I guess congratulations are in order for getting a job?  Figures that a guy with an unhealthy obsession with guns and who shoots people and dogs irresponsibly and illegally, gets a job where he gets to threaten and/or shoot people with his guns.  I know this show is supposed to be silly, but the combination of the donkey beatings and Leslie shooting blindly into the dark at people and getting rewarded for it, turned my stomach.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

So that guy was in Indian Summers? My mom and i only watched like 3 episodes of that show. Was he the brother? Thought he looked familiar, but i was thinking more along the lines of him having showed up as one of mary's one and done suitors back in season 1. Lol.

Yes, he was Ralph Whelan, the high-ranking British official. I found Indian Summers itself uneven, but I was impressed with his acting. (And enjoyed ogling him. LOL) I watched that show on my own but watch the Durrells with my family. They couldn't figure out what got into me last night when I started excitedly shouting, "THAT'S RALPH!" 

I think one of my favorite parts of the episode was the mad dash cleaning that went on right before Louisa got home. I can remember pulling stunts like that when my brother and I were left to our own devices, though we worked together and didn't set each other up. I've always thought this show does a magnificent job of capturing the highs and lows of having siblings, and that scene on that level was perfect. 

• Love 6

I loved the little smile of admiration that Larry had for his siblings' clean up solution.

Henry Miller!

Does the kid who plays Jerry have a birth mark on his right cheek or do they just put a streak of makeup there to look like dirt?

• Love 3

Pretty delightful episode this week. Surprised we didn't get any heavy scenes after Cap opened up to larry near the beginning, but i'm glad that he's trying to give up the drink and trying to get back up on his feet.

Really loved all the guests this week; Prince was a total sweetheart, Cap wasn't too bad, and we even got some delightful Albanians. Felt a bit magical, really.

I think this is the first episode of the season where Louisa hasn't been emotionally dragged through the mud too much. Last week she was still dealing with aunt hermione stuff and the relatives. This week she finally got to relax.

Leslie not ratting out daphne's dad...hmmmmmm 

• Love 7
On 10/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, Ilovepie said:

Gerry is actually my least favorite character. He's so one-note - he doesn't do anything except tend the animals, and I think it's ridiculous that he isn't being made to go to school. I know these stories are somewhat based on his writings, but he could not be there and I wouldn't miss him. And if he wants to be a vegetarian, he can get his own food. It's not nice that they all are forced to be vegetarians against their wills.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing last night, Gerry is insufferable and while we all seem to adore this show, which is based on his writings, HE is the worst and most unlikable character of the bunch.  He pontificates about loving animals so very much yet cages them left and right so he can examine and study them. How's about studying them in the wild, like those insects, instead of keeping a menagerie of animals in cages around the house?  Grrrrr.

Loved the bohemian London scenes this week, and Louisa's stuffy relatives hanging out in scary ol London in a den of iniquity! Though I didn't quite get the whole "we must have that necklace back in order for us all to get our inheritances' story line. Were they planning on selling that necklace and splitting the proceeds or something?

Still disliking Leslie's dismissal of Daphne because he's ruining her life forever. Do the right fucking thing for once in your life you useless sack of shit!

In S1 I really disliked Margo and Larry, thought they were both selfish twits, but color me surprised that the two of them have blossomed into the characters I most like nowadays! This show is a breath of fresh air, though count me in on the "we want to see Sven once in a while" train.

• Love 6

I dunno.  I thought they were hitting Louisa's drinking pretty hard last night (after previously largely avoiding the ugly true story of her drinking and depression and breakdowns, etc.)  I thought we were nearing the end of the final season and discovered my error (there's a 4th season filming) )which I'm still adjusting to, having my usual difficulty with the "penniless" Durrells slumming on Corfu while well dressed and groomed and "carefree".   I miss the doctor's wife in season 1 whose appraisal of Louisa (as full of airs and pretensions and uselessness) added tartness.   Another season may well mean that "Margo's secret" is also explored (along with Louisa's drinking) which could bring a bit of unwelcome grimness to the story.  (I was actually feeling affectionate about the show before discovering there was yet another series to come) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Still disliking Leslie's dismissal of Daphne because he's ruining her life forever. Do the right fucking thing for once in your life you useless sack of shit!

In S1 I really disliked Margo and Larry, thought they were both selfish twits, but color me surprised that the two of them have blossomed into the characters I most like nowadays! This show is a breath of fresh air, though count me in on the "we want to see Sven once in a while" train.

Yes, I can understand Leslie being upset about Daphne but his attitude seems very modern and unrealistic. I admit to not having read the stories this series is based on - did the Leslie/Daphne story line play out that way in real life?

Larry is probably my favorite character - he is selfish, but he also shows moments of maturity, and I just like the actor and the way he plays him. I think Margo has also shown growth throughout the series - she's kind of a dim bulb but she seems to have found something she is good at.

• Love 5

I like all these characters, with Leslie probably being my least favorite because while they are all eccentric and they all can be selfish twits - so far Leslie's selfishness has had real consequences for another human being. The other kids, yes, they drive their mother up the wall but what Leslie is doing to Daphne is wrong on so many levels. And while he is ruining her life he still wants to come across like a nice guy while doing it. He is trying to have it both ways.

I thought Prince was another charmer who was enchanting the Durrells - and me - for one episode.

I want them to enjoy this time on Corfu as much as possible because those halcyon days are not meant to last thanks to history.  Poor Louisa couldn't wait to get away from England again after the funeral.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

so far Leslie's selfishness has had real consequences for another human being.

As has Daphne's selfishness. I find the Daphne/Leslie story anachronistic in the extreme, but almost more from Daphne's angle than Leslie's.   They are both reaping the consequences of their actions, but given the times, Daphne should and would have had more warnings about what would happen to her and the baby if she allowed things to go that far.  At that time is was generally believed that the young woman's sex drive was not as strong as the man's so she was supposed to be the moral guide in any relationship and it was up to her to say stop before it was too late.  I'm not saying that was right, but it was the world they lived in.  I feel sorry for Daphne but I can't put all the blame on Leslie when, in a time without birth control, she took a huge risk for herself and her child's future.

• Love 4

That's part of the "mystery" of Leslie's popularity and endless redemption story lines .... now he's a policeman and not quite so embarassingly stupid and reckless, but he's still likely a "catch" with his English family, money and connections  (he's got one of the few salary paying jobs) ... not some indistinguished local nobody who might well never NEVER score with the ladies (much less several).  My vague memory is that Leslie never amounted to much, so all of his various "leaf-turning" amounted to little.  

Leslie -- born of local stock, impregnating young women --   would be lucky to escape waking up from a very bad beating to find himself the star of a shotgun wedding.  Leslie, son of the nice English lady, gets paid to be a policeman ... because?  And yet, there's  a hint of recognition at the "privilege" that comes with having even the modest fortune and/or prospects of the Durrells. 

Margo alarms me by walking a fairly thin line between respectable and "bohemian" in a landscape of male farm worker types.  Portraying local peasant types of "honest as the day is long" and somehow too charmed and fascinated not to victimize Marge or Jerry.   We know or have learned that Jerry and Larry grow up to become "stars" international figures (and presumably make money enough) as if that redeems them. 

I don't want the show "darker" or "political" but a little self-awareness would be welcome ... Louisa's aimlessness and vacations from vacations from parenting.  I suspect Larry (in particular) orbits home to keep an eye on Louisa and the other kids, but there's no reason, for example, that Gerry's education could not be fobbed off on Leslie, Larry AND Margo -- assuming they know anything and can spell. 

• Love 3

Anyone else confused as to the Ferrari's future back in Italy (where the father is in debt and -- if honest -- is liable for a hit and run traffic death)?   I may have missed reference to just how long ago the wife/mother died, leaving this poorly coping despot in charge to traumatize the daughters, but perhaps more seriously the son (unless that was all resolved by finding a friend in Larry).  

There was a whiff of moral triumph in making this man "face the music" but his kids seemed likely -- unless extended family steps in -- to be ruined and shamed and destitute.  Vile as he was/is, no one seemed to have the tiniest sympathy or advice on how to deal with this horror of a dead wife, a questionably suicidal son, two traumatized daughters and no money.  Keeping the daugthers on Corfu might have been a charity -- the son needing to clear his name and -- if of age -- be put in charge of "the family".  

Stavros looked stunningly handsome while Louisa looked-- given the beauty of Keeley Hawes -- look formidably unkind and petty (but gratified that Mr. Ferrari & Company were even worse than the worst of the Durrells of Corfu. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so now we have definite confirmation that Spiros' wife is alive and kicking.  Rats!

:'( and now he's officially emotionally cheating on her (unless we haven't been clued in on something that would make those circumstances less awful). Not cool. More info on the wife would be appreciated though. Spiros easily giving away a good chunk of money was kinda weird. Yes, he's a very nice man, but it just came off as strange somehow.

Loved theo popping up out of bushes to give gerry, his new friend and us some animal facts. Lol!

Larry actually beat leslie at something physical. I'm surprised he didn't gloat more about it.

I wish the italian kids confronting their father wasn't all off-screened.

• Love 2

I think I'm supposed to be rooting for Spiro and Louisa, but I'm sorry I can't. Spiro is married. Yes, it was implied that he got himself in a situation like Leslie did and unlike Leslie he married the girl, and there was some conversation about regrets and I got the impression that Spiro regretted getting married. But nope sorry he's still married and he's emotionally cheating on his wife. Not cool. 

• Love 4

I would think that Spiro's "it's a job" attitude wrt the Ferraris, "just like you" would put a quick damper on any romantic notions (at least judging from Louisa's recognition that while Spiro might not want her ending up with Ferrari, he didn't think of her "that way" 

17 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

Stavros looked stunningly handsome while Louisa looked-- given the beauty of Keeley Hawes -- look formidably unkind and petty (but gratified that Mr. Ferrari & Company were even worse than the worst of the Durrells of Corfu

Yes, I found him much sexier than his usual smiling self who is often a little overly eager to be Louisa's devoted slave.  This episode he had shades of Mr. Knightly in his, "badly done," moment. 

15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so now we have definite confirmation that Spiros' wife is alive and kicking.  Rats!

I know and it makes me a little irritated with him and Louisa now that we know for sure.  I know they haven't done anything "wrong," but there  certainly has been a lot of time and flirtation cutting into that marriage.

Margo's girl-crush was hilarious to watch, I'm enjoying her so much this season.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

I would think that Spiro's "it's a job" attitude wrt the Ferraris, "just like you" would put a quick damper on any romantic notions (at least judging from Louisa's recognition that while Spiro might not want her ending up with Ferrari, he didn't think of her "that way" 

Except that he does totally think of her that way.  Not that Louisa would know.  Although that conversation at the end of the episode implies that Louisa does get it, to a certain extent.

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I know and it makes me a little irritated with him and Louisa now that we know for sure.  I know they haven't done anything "wrong," but there  certainly has been a lot of time and flirtation cutting into that marriage.

I don't really care.  We don't know what Spiro's marriage is like; it could've been name only for years.

Margo's girl-crush was hilarious to watch, I'm enjoying her so much this season.

Absolutely.  She and Larry are my favorite characters this season.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3