Type keyword(s) to search

The Durrells In Corfu - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, Larry finally moved out. :( i suppose it had to happen at some point. I do think the family could have been more supportive of his novel release though.

Was not expecting Spiros to be that intense of a teacher...yikes. But it was probably what he grew up with. At least he adjusted his teaching style and got gerry some magpies. He made that comment about "getting back to his family"...hmmm...i just don't understand why we haven't been introduced to them if something wasn't up. I don't know what to think anymore. The biggest mystery of the show.

And now gerry has a really old guy for a tutor.

Leslie's just a big ol' teddy bear. I chuckle everytime lugaretzia calls him her favorite. Speaking of lugaretzia, she had the best quote of the night with her, "finally, power" line.

Hugh continues to be sketchy but he is quite the character. The magical fiddler makes me chuckle everytime he shows up. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Well, Larry finally moved out

I missed tonight's episode so maybe it was explained, but How(!) did he afford to do this?  Are all the family's money woes over now because of Larry's writings?

6 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

The magical fiddler makes me chuckle everytime he shows up. 

That was the best part.

"Do you have him hidden in a cupboard?!"

"Yes, otherwise he's too loud.  It's a big cupboard."

I also love the mustache-twirling landlady villainess snapping and flicking her fan at Mrs. Durrell in the market when she said she'd have to reconsider Hugh now that landlady was warning her off.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I just realized I've been adding an "S" to the end of Spiro's name, and I think it is actually just Spiro.  Oops, IMDB must be wrong.

Yeah, AGAIN Spiro mentioned his family.  At first, he declined the liqueur, saying that his family was waiting for him.  What family?!  Wife and kids?  Parents and siblings?  WHO?  It's just awfully strange that he never specifically mentions his wife, and we've never seen her.  If a wife exists, she should be pretty jealous of all the time he spends with the Durrell family.  

Everyone getting drunk off of the kumquat liqueur was my favorite part of the episode.  Lugaretzia ran her bicycle through a clothesline and straight into a tree, and Theo's attempt at walking on water was an utter failure, LOL. 

• Love 2

Leslie is so much better looking and smarter and nicer this year!  Move over Lugaretzia, he's my favorite now, too!  I thought the whole business with Larry was sad.  I want him to go home before the wicked witch gets her claws into him.

• Love 1

Leslie is so much better looking and smarter and nicer this year!

There's a Jay-Z lyric that goes "Sensitive thugs, you all need hugs." And that is what I thought of when Leslie was the only one who got how crappy the rest of them were handling Larry's great achievement. And when he said goodbye to Larry - so sweet.

Everyone getting drunk off of the kumquat liqueur was my favorite part of the episode.  Lugaretzia ran her bicycle through a clothesline and straight into a tree, and Theo's attempt at walking on water was an utter failure, LOL. 

I rewound this a few times, I loved it so much. Louisa just sort of coming across this insanity was also funny. As was the pain they all were suffering the next morning.

I also loved Gerry's "tutoring" ("American women, very loud, but they can't help it...")

• Love 1

To think that I wasn't a Keeley Hawes fan when this show started.  She has totally won me over and she just sparkled in last night's birthday episode.  I chuckled through the entire  hour. Margo's acne flare-up, Leslie's watermelon photography, Sven and "Huge,"  women stuffing gigantic pieces of cake in their mouths, all funny. 

So now we know that photo on Spiro's dashboard was not his family, but I'm not sure what else he said.  Anyone hear it properly?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

So now we know that photo on Spiro's dashboard was not his family, but I'm not sure what else he said.  Anyone hear it properly?

I thought he said that it was a photo of the royal family. But I wasn't exactly paying that close of attention...

• Love 2

I am thrilled about the third season but take issue with the article describing the show as a drama. This show makes me laugh out loud more than any show on TV right now - and not just a sentimental chuckle, real throw-my-head-back laughs.

That said I did find last night's a bit melancholy, especially the Sven storyline. 

• Love 1

Another good episode. 

Of course Larry is being used by the evil land lady. I laughed so hard when he showed up late to louisa's bday party looking so proud when he held up thst little plant thing. And theo got her a fossil. Lol. 

So louisa had her mid-life crisis. I actually thought she looked really pretty with the headband in her hair, but then she took it too far with the outfits and stuff. She looks great in red.

Leslie continues to be a lovable teddy bear. Living up to that 'Best son' title. Glad he found a new hobby in photography! He seems tocreslly enjoy it. and i suppose that's where they'll get part of their rent money from now that Larry's moved out. 

I continue to ship louisa and Spiros (spiro? I don't know anymore) more and more. Spiros, you jealous man. I actually thought he was using Hugh's car's 'bad engine' as an excuse to barge in on their date, but then it turns out he literally could tell that the engine was gonna croak just by the sound. Impressive. Or at least for me it was because i know next to nothing about cars.

So the pic wasn't of his family...and i thought he said it was of a goddess or royalty or something, but it was hard to tell. And i think he said he knew what his family looked like, so 'no' to the picture opportunity. Probably will have to try rewatching that scene if possible. 

• Love 2

"Huge"  Haha, Sven, good one.  I'm loving his humor this season.  

I get a kick out of the fact that Leslie is Lugaretzia's favorite, and I thought it was sweet that he told his mother that she's beautiful.  

So, it turns out that the stupid photo, which is the entire reason everyone is convinced that Spiro has a family, is actually the Greek royal family.  BUT, then Spiro goes on to tell Leslie that he doesn't need a photo of his family because he (paraphrasing here) "especially knows what they look like."  AHH!  So, do you have a wife and kids, or not?!  I mean, he was very interested in Louisa while he was playing his guitar and she was dancing with "Huge."  I know this is based on real people and everything...and I doubt Louisa ended up with Spiro in real life, but make it happen show!

• Love 3

I was catching up on this season's episodes and it was bugging my why the actor playing Hugh looked so familiar. When I looked him up on IMDB, I was blown away to see that he is the same actor that played Muriel's handsome swimmer husband in Muriel's Wedding. Back then, he was so handsome that I would blush just looking at him. But time marches on for us all, I guess!

I hated that Gerry hurt his tutor and had no remorse in doing so. Empathy for animals? Check. Empathy for people? No so much. Gerry's too old to get away with that.

I too love Leslie's maturing arc this season. 

I'm worried about Sven getting in trouble because Leslie blabbed his secret to Huge.

And, ugh, they had to go there with Larry and Vasilia. Boo!

• Love 2

A more somber episode. :(

Lugaretzia's scene where she said the sky was falling and someone was going to die (which probably came true based on the two monks in the background of a later scene) had me laughing.

Mrs. Hudson took up a part-time job as a fraud.

Leslie has art skills. 

Margo with a cabbage mask was funny. 

You could really feel how badly Louisa was mourning her husband :'( glad she got some closure.

A new puppy!

Still not completely sold on Hugh, though.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3
On 11/2/2017 at 4:34 PM, nonnybaby said:

I too love Leslie's maturing arc this season. 

I do too.  It was nice to see him succeed at photography and painting.   Otoh, it does seem that Larry is becoming more infantile.

For all the fuss about Gerry's schooling, I keep wondering about Margo's schooling.  She is only 16.

Was it my imagination or did the photo of Mr. Durrell bear a resemblance to Spiros?  "Mrs. Hudson" could not have asked for a more atmospheric setting for her sham: thunder, lightening, wind, animals!

After 4 episodes, I am finally picking up the clues in the opening titles.

Except for the blue eyes, the puppy looked like a small "Roger", so adorable playing with Gerry.

• Love 2

Best bits of the episode:

Lugaretzia declaring "I have the mumps now.  I will die soon."  

Houseguest Donald telling Margo that he'd be perfectly happy to attach the cabbage "or anything else" to her face.  Leslie responds, "Yesss.  Like your face."  You can hear Donald say "outrageous!" in response, ha ha.

Speaking of Leslie, I thought it was sweet that he was missing Lugaretzia.  I love their bond, and I agree that he's maturing this season.

Did anyone see the donkey bite Auntie during the séance?  OMG that was funny.

And yes, that puppy was so adorable while playing with Gerry.  I'm not sure that Gerry needs more animals, though, and I still don't care much for "Huge."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, elle said:

For all the fuss about Gerry's schooling, I keep wondering about Margo's schooling.  She is only 16.

From 1918 to 1944, the legal school-leaving age in England was 14. Many teens went into jobs (such as domestic help) or apprenticeships. Higher class girls might go to finishing school or travel abroad before coming out into the marriage market at 17 or so.

• Love 2

This show never fails to make me laugh out loud. This week it was when the tutor offered to read his poetry and they all started yelling "No!" and either Larry or Leslie added, "Put me out in the rain!" for emphasis.  I rewound several times, I enjoyed it so much.  

• Love 2

So the masterpiece pbs twitter account spelled our wonderful Corfu man as ""spiros" and i am now even more confused about how to properly spell his name. On the site it's spiro but for other places it's spiros and i don't know anything anymore. 

Would someone who is visually quicker than I mind telling me what happened during the séance that exposed "Mrs. Hudson," as a fraud?  All I saw was Leslie aiming his camera and then screams and squeals.

The flash went off and it revealed a syringe full of 'ectoplasm' in her hand that she was gonna use which led to shouting, the chicken flapping onto the table and the window curtains being opened.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
On 11/6/2017 at 8:13 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Speaking of Leslie, I thought it was sweet that he was missing Lugaretzia.  I love their bond, and I agree that he's maturing this season.

They have had a bond since the beginning.  They are my favorite duo!

On 11/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, morakot said:

From 1918 to 1944, the legal school-leaving age in England was 14. Many teens went into jobs (such as domestic help) or apprenticeships. Higher class girls might go to finishing school or travel abroad before coming out into the marriage market at 17 or so.

Thank you for the information, this has been bugging me for a while.

Yay, Leslie Caron next episode!  I hope it is explained where the Countess has been and why Margo has been so free to moon over the monk among others. Not too thrilled with the cricket match idea, no good can come from that.

• Love 3

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY HEART

I loved this episode. Love love love love

it was hilarious! And my shipper heart is about to burst.

• Everything about the cricket match was hilarious. Total testosterone match.Men. :P Leslie and hugh were so into it. I was laughing so hard when the ball was thrown/hit? Into the air and hugh just screeched at them to catch it during practice.
  • Speaking of hugh: i feel like this is the episode where i finally liked him and how he fit in with the durrells. Loved the first swim scene and he seems to honestly like louisa. I think he's definitely over vasilia. I guess the only downside to him this episode was him talking about winning "her" and the fact that he wants to go back to england. I'm gonna guess that's gonna be a dealbreaker.
  • Theo's "white knight" scene was spectacular. Loved how he was so into the cricket game too
  • I liked the gerry and the falcon (?) scenes. I just hope it doesn't end up in a cage. I sided with gerry this time with the tutoring. Knowing all the kings and the time that they reigned, etc....yeah. 
  • Leslie calling lugaretzia, "luga" warms my heart
  • SPIROS/SPIRO (because i still see it listed both ways in various pbs media i'll probably just stick with spiros, so forgive me). It's ONCE AGAIN mentioned how he's married, they mention wife and kids SO WHY DON'T WE EVER SEE THEM IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. Why didn't he bring them to the cricket match???? He's head over heels for Louisa and i love them so much. And of course he'd shake off getting conked in the head with a cricket ball.
  • Shout out to Spiros' baseball jersey. The town/team name on the front of his uniform is actually my hometown's name :)
  • just when i get tired of donald, he and margo finally start to click at the very end (even if it's still pretty superficial on margo's side). Margo should have played for the brits' team
  • Loved the greece vs britain + other countries banner. That had sven smirking.
  • The ending with everyone swimming was heartwarming

My heart feels like it's gonna explode. All the louisa x spiros!!!!

• Love 4

Sooo I'm probably in the minority, but I'm finding Spiro kind of creepy. He's always at the Durrell's. I do like Spiro but he supposedly has a wife and kids, so I don't find his mooning over Louisa attractive. Also I found him following Louisa down to the water kind of creepy. It's obviously Louisa isn't thrilled about being seen in a bathing custom, but Spiro just has to see what she looks like in her bathing cloths. IDK if there had never been a mention of a wife and kids I might ship Spiro & Louisa, but since they mentioned him having a wife and kids I just can't.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1

Wouldn't the doctor's wife know all about Spiros' family situation? It seems so odd that no wife or children ever appear. The town is not that big. Seems like the existence/non-existence of a wife would be pretty common knowledge.

• Love 2

I can see the show going the whole, haha fooled you, Spiro isn't married route; they are being very vague about his "family".  They imply he has a family with the picture on the dashboard of his car; only for us to find out it's a picture of the Greek Royal Family. But then they again imply that he has a family when Louisa asks if he wants Leslie to take a picture of him and his family and Spiro's response is why? "I know what they look like".  

Spoiler

However, I'm sure I read that Spiro was married in the books, but of course that doesn't mean he's married in the tv show. 

I still think Spiro following Louisa down to the water to watch her swim was a bit creepy. It was obvious to me that Louisa didn't want an audience and thought that Spiro had left and then she really didn't have an out for not getting in the water.

Can someone refresh my memory when Louisa was talking to the Drs. wife what did the Drs. wife say? Something along the lines of if Spiro _________ this cricket match would look like Hugh and Spiro were jousting for Louisa. 

Edited by Fireball
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Wouldn't the doctor's wife know all about Spiros' family situation? It seems so odd that no wife or children ever appear. The town is not that big. Seems like the existence/non-existence of a wife would be pretty common knowledge.

I agree, that one would think with the town being so small that the whole is Spiro married/ not married wouldn't be this unknown. I find the vagueness about if he has a family annoying.  On one hand if Spiro is married then his mooning over Louisa is creepy and unattractive, but on the other hand if he's not married then his unwillingness to ask out Louisa and his attitude towards any love interest of Louisa's isn't attractive either. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1

While I have been watching and enjoying this show as a dramedy about a family of eccentrics as of this last episode I am getting the distinct impression that we are supposed to see Spiros as the to root for underdog in the Louisa romance arc.  I think the writing showed its hand now.

• Love 1

I've been watching from the beginning, and I have always felt that there was something "happening" between Louisa and Spiros, especially on Spiros' side.  I'm glad that I wasn't imagining it, but yeah, if he is married with a family how is that going to work?  I can understand Louisa wanting to feel sparks with Hugh but just...not, but I can't imagine her having an affair with a married man.  So something must be up.  

I very much dislike Larry's girlfriend, so I love how rudely he shuts her down.  He does give in to the seduction (who could blame him?) but then does feel disgusted afterward.

• Love 4

I very much dislike Larry's girlfriend, so I love how rudely he shuts her down.  He does give in to the seduction (who could blame him?) but then does feel disgusted afterward.

Last season, Louisa described Larry when he was a child "as a big scary goblin, but kind of fun." I love that and it works for Larry as an adult too. He has a sort of childish self-absorption that is amusing as a character. Like him just sitting out and reading while supposedly playing cricket. Or how he was such a baby when he had mumps. Often he takes this too far - like how dismissive he was about Louisa's still-existing grief about losing her husband last week. It was Leslie who had the sensitivity to tell him to cut it out.

My favorite rewind moment this week was when Sven tired of Leslie's intense cricket drills and just mumbled something and walked off.

• Love 3

Ah, there was so much to like this week!

"Huge" has a new nickname!  "Who?  It's not a name, it's a question.  ...Will you marry Who?" 

On 11/13/2017 at 0:56 PM, Fireball said:

Can someone refresh my memory when Louisa was talking to the Drs. wife what did the Drs. wife say? Something along the lines of if Spiro _________ this cricket match would look like Hugh and Spiro were jousting for Louisa. 

She said that if Spiro wasn't married, it would look like an old-fashioned jousting match.  See, this is driving me crazy.  Like a few mentioned, I doubt the town is that large, and the Dr.'s wife should know if Spiro is really married or not.  But if he's married, where the heck is his wife?!

5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

My favorite rewind moment this week was when Sven tired of Leslie's intense cricket drills and just mumbled something and walked off.

I wonder if that was the moment when he told Louisa that she had "spawned an ogre."  Leslie can be a bit...intense at times, ha.  

Loved the Countess interacting with one of the Greek cricket players, telling him he would go to prison if he hit her.  His response?  "Oh."

I've never watched cricket, so the whole rubbing the cricket ball against your crotch thing was...bizarre.  According to Sven, "It's part of the madness."  

The celebration after hitting Huge's car with the cricket ball was fantastic (mean...but fantastic).

Margo's bathing suit was cute, and I'm sad that nobody asked her to play in the cricket match.  Did you see her hit the hell out of that ball?

And now to the Spiro stuff: If he is really married, WHY is he telling Louisa that she's "very special" to him?  Stuff like that makes me believe that he's NOT really married.  Uh, it's so confusing.  The show seems to want us to believe that Spiro loves Louisa (see Larry stating that maybe Spiro has such animosity towards Huge because he's in love with Louisa), and I don't get why they'd be doing that if they're just going to turn around and reveal his wife next season.  That would be so crappy!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

She said that if Spiro wasn't married, it would look like an old-fashioned jousting match.  See, this is driving me crazy.  Like a few mentioned, I doubt the town is that large, and the Dr.'s wife should know if Spiro is really married or not.  But if he's married, where the heck is his wife?!

And now to the Spiro stuff: If he is really married, WHY is he telling Louisa that she's "very special" to him?  Stuff like that makes me believe that he's NOT really married.  Uh, it's so confusing.  The show seems to want us to believe that Spiro loves Louisa (see Larry stating that maybe Spiro has such animosity towards Huge because he's in love with Louisa), and I don't get why they'd be doing that if they're just going to turn around and reveal his wife next season.  That would be so crappy!

Thank you! So Spiro is married I thought he was. However, him being married is weird; the show is playing it like Spiro is in love with Louisa and is jealous of Hugh. If this was a soap I'd say 

Spoiler

that Spiro has a very unhappy marriage and that because of his religion he can't get a divorce, but as soon as Spiro and Louisa got close the wife would return. I'll be really annoyed if the show goes this route. I guess they could have Spiro be a widower, but there's still the same problem everyone in the town would know Spiro's relationship status.  

2 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Margo's bathing suit was cute, and I'm sad that nobody asked her to play in the cricket match.  Did you see her hit the hell out of that ball?

They totally should have asked Margo. You'd think her brothers would know what a good player she is. But I'm not surprised she wasn't asked; I'm sure they think that cricket is a man's game.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, HoodlumSheep said:
  •  I sided with gerry this time with the tutoring. Knowing all the kings and the time that they reigned, etc....yeah. 

I'm usually pretty annoyed with Gerry and his unwillingness to try and learn anything. But I also was on his side with why did he need to learn the order of all the Kings and how long they ruled for. I mean I think it's important to have an idea who's who like Henry VIII did radical changes to the English Constitution and killed his wives. But I think being able to recite all the Kings in the correct order is a waste of time. I feel the same way about having to learn the order of all the US Presidents and the years they served. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, HoodlumSheep said:
  • Speaking of hugh: i feel like this is the episode where i finally liked him and how he fit in with the durrells. Loved the first swim scene and he seems to honestly like louisa. I think he's definitely over vasilia. I guess the only downside to him this episode was him talking about winning "her" and the fact that he wants to go back to england. I'm gonna guess that's gonna be a dealbreaker.

This episode really showed that Hugh does fit in well with the Durrell's. I'm a bit confused why Hugh wants to go back to England;  his Olives, that he talks about a lot, are in Corfu. But I guess this is the way the show will breakup Hugh and Louisa. 

• Love 2

Could Spiros live in another village in the hills and just come down to the sea to drive the taxi?  Could the doctor's wife only think he's married because Louisa told him he was?  Could the family he talks about be his parents and siblings? 

Or am I being pathetic in my wishful thinking?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Could Spiros live in another village in the hills and just come down to the sea to drive the taxi?  Could the doctor's wife only think he's married because Louisa told him he was?  Could the family he talks about be his parents and siblings? 

That's what i've been wishfully hoping for. I'm leaning towards parents because the more i think of kids, the more i don't see why spiros wouldn't bring them along to hang out with the durrell kids once in a while or go to any of the events with them (unless there's a reason they are unable to leave home). Same thing with a living wife. 

None of this adds up. If they introduce a living, non-divorced wife i'll probably end up rage-quitting. Please no jane eyre antics either.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That is a very plausible scenario.

The problem I'm having is why doesn't Louisa know Spiro's actually marriage status. I mean Spiro is always there and they are friends right? You'd think it would come up sometime in the conversation...   The show seems to want to have it both ways. To me, they keep implying that Spiro is married, but then later they go you know that picture or comment that made you think Spiro was married nope that was a red herring.  It's starting to annoy me; is Spiro married or not! Am I suppose to be rooting for the underdog unmarried Spiro or think the mooning over Louisa married Spiro is creepy?

Edited by Fireball
can't seem to type today
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

The problem I'm having is why doesn't Louisa know Spiro's actually marriage status. I mean Spiro is always there and they are friends right? You'd think it would come up sometime in the conversation...

I don't understand why, when they invite Spiros to something, they never say, "Why don't you bring your wife and kids?  We'd love to meet them."

I think the show is deliberately choosing to make it a mystery because he isn't married with kids, but they want the family to think he is in order to create a "surprise" later.  There is no other reason for the confusion in such a small place like that.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fireball said:

You'd think it would come up sometime in the conversation...  

Really!

Spiros, do your children leave their mating otters on the dining room table?

Spiros, are any of your children old enough to be sleeping with your worst enemy?

Spiros, why not take some of these leftover, sun poisoned baked goods to your wife?

• Love 11
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I think the show is deliberately choosing to make it a mystery because he isn't married with kids, but they want the family to think he is in order to create a "surprise" later.  There is no other reason for the confusion in such a small place like that.

I agree with you that the show is being deliberately vague regarding Spiro's marital status; I also think you're right with the whole "surprise". I like the show but this part isn't working for me. If Spiro is unmarried I think it's pretty safe to assume he's Louisa's endgame which for me makes it hard to get invested in any of Louisa's love interests or even care about Louisa's love story since I know that all of Louisa's love interests are going to fail until the writers want to "surprise" us with look Spiro isn't actually married. But if Spiro is married then I have no idea who is going to be Louisa's endgame.

Also I grew up in a small town, so it's hard for me to believe that Louisa doesn't know if Spiro is married or not. I mean I knew why "Mr X." (who I didn't really know) was getting a divorce. People just seem to know what everyone in a small town is up to and even if you don't care what Mr. Y or Mrs. H is doing someone will tell you.  Even if Spiro lived out of town someone would know if Spiro had a wife. So in my mind either Louisa 1) doesn't think of Spiro in a romantic way because he's married or 2) knows Spiro is unmarried and isn't interested. But the show is having Louisa play it like she has no idea if Spiro is married or not which just doesn't work for me. Anyway I'll stop harping on Spiro's marital status now. :) 

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Really!

Spiros, do your children leave their mating otters on the dining room table?

Spiros, are any of your children old enough to be sleeping with your worst enemy?

Spiros, why not take some of these leftover, sun poisoned baked goods to your wife?

ROTFL oh my your post cracked me up! 

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 3

Thank you, show, for including Sven’s “lodger” Aragorn, I mean Viggo. Who apparently has a woman in Naxos and a wife in Trondheim, I think.  Bases? Well-covered.

My personal Spiros theory is that he had a wife and children, but they are deceased or he divorced his wife and she took the children and moved elsewhere.  Which holds no water in small-town gossip, I know, but that’s all I got.

I’m asking Santa for falconry lessons for Christmas. Shades of Ahmed’s Mumtaz on The Jewel in the Crown...

• Love 3

Best Child helped deliver Best Daughter's baby :') he's come so far and has easily cemented his status as one of the best characters on the show.

• frustrating that we have to wait a whole other year to possibly find out spiros' actual marital status >:(. Is he married or not? Tell us already!
  • Dang, vasilia stabbed hugh! But it looks like she's out of the picture. Same with hugh.
  • I love louisa's love for corfu. She can't part with it.
  • Glad the babies are all a-okay. Except one of the baby otters :'(
  • Poor donald. It just seemed like he and margo were finally clicking at the end of last episode and now she's tossed him aside. At this point i hope donald moves on and they never end up together. He deserves better. 
  • Loved the scene where theo (pretty darn accurately) estimated the date in which we'd reach the moon and the smart people council just chuckled. Only off by a year! Quite impressive.
  • That bird bee? beetle? flutist was so random, but it's on par with hugh's magic fiddler man, so it worked. I love how quirky this show is.
  • Now leslie is thinking about being a doctor? I liked his photography stuff so i'm kinda hoping he sticks with that. Or the art stuff in general.
  • I could have strangled larry (in an exasperated sort of way) this episode with how blasé he was being about all the births and stuff. C'mon, larry! Still love you though.
Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 6

The Rose Beetle Man is in the the book, and it's a lovely, hilarious chapter.

I'm hard on the show because I liked the novel so much, but hands down, this was an excellent episode.

Bring on season three!

• Love 2

Nothing seems to phase The Durrels, does it?!

That’s why I love them so.

Leslie was so great during the delivery, and I was farklempt when he seemed so moved by the birth. And so cute during the christening! What a beautiful ceremony. I did laugh when Leslie said that he always thought he was bad luck and Larry nodded.

I could have strangled larry (in an exasperated sort of way) this episode with how blasé he was being about all the births and stuff. C'mon, larry! Still love you though.

That’s part of his charm for me. I didn’t know how self-absorption can be so charming, but his is. 

I still can’t warm to Florence given how snooty she was to Louisa when she met her.

• Love 2

Oh gosh. How did I manage to fall in love with Leslie? He's become absolutely adorable!

Run Donald, run. Margo's a cutie, but if that awful handsome Turkish guy is what she even THINKS she wants, you would never have been happy.

That last scene and closing shot were MAGICAL. I want to book a flight right now.

• Love 5

I didn't realize this was the season finale.

• I'm glad both babies are ok; that scene was a good fake out.
  • Leslie has become my favorite! I hope his little role in the hay doesn't result in a little Leslie. 
  • Larry's whole I missed all the excitement was annoying. Dude you knew there was a baby coming and you choose to stop for a beer!
  • Margo seriously? You pick egotistic Turkish guy over Donald? Oh well hopefully Donald realizes he can do better. But that "fight" between Turkish dude and Donald was hilarious!
  • Leslie's whole I think you can become a Dr. by doing a correspondence course had me lol.
  • Gerry bringing attention to Donald that he wasn't trying to teach him was weird; I would have thought Gerry would have been counting his lucky stars. 
  • Louisa thinking Spiro is happily married, but not asking Spiro "where Mrs. Spiro?" when she sees him alone at the christening was a bit unbelievable. 
  • Hugh and Louisa are no more. I just started feeling like Hugh and Louisa could actually work; I'm not sure I buy that Hugh and Louisa would be that upset over breaking up when they basically only started dating. Louisa and Hugh's story needed more time for me to get invested.
  • Hugh deciding he wanted to move back to England still feels out of the blue; he's lived in Corfu for 20 years. How about a throw out line that's he's been wanting to expand his business or something. The way it was presented it really came a crossed that Hugh only decided to move back to England because he felt insecure about Spiro and was convinced Louisa was in love with Spiro. 
  • It's a  given Louisa and Spiro are endgame; Hugh accusing Louisa of only staying in Corfu because she's in love with Spiro pretty much confirms it for me. I'm not sure how I feel about this; I liked the idea of them in season 1. However dragging the whole is Spiro married or not is starting to annoy.

• The writers better tell me Spiro's marital status next season because if they keep dragging it out by the time they do their big clever "surprise" I will not care. Also if Spiro is unmarried and doesn't make a move regarding Louisa next season which causes Louisa to date someone else, I will strain my eyes from all the eye rolling.  
  • Love 4

Gah.  This show has the saddest Spiro/Louisa song.  It played at the beginning of the episode, when Spiro was comforting Louisa over her breakup with Hugh, and we also heard it last season in the scene where Spiro showed up with Louisa's wedding ring (which she had sold to pay off some "thugs" and keep Leslie out of trouble).  I know I've heard it other times this season, and it's lovely, but it's a sad violin type thing :(

Hugh was a bit desperate in the olive orchard (with the whole "Well, you won't move to England for me, so I'll stay in Corfu because we HAVE to be together).  Guy, she's just not that into you since she loves Spiro and all.  And Hugh was kind of an A-hole to Vasilia.  She is kind of nutty, but maybe he didn't have to be so cruel when letting her know they'd never be together?  I don't know, but he probably wouldn't have been stabbed if he had been a bit nicer in letting her down, is all I'm saying!

Oh, I love Theo and his affection for the Durrells, and how utterly excited he was about the thought of Gerry's otter giving birth.  

Ha, I had the same thought about favorite child Leslie delivering favorite daughter's baby.  It was just perfect, considering how close Leslie and Lugaretzia are.

This isn't very nice, but I was a bit irritated by the doctor's wife.  At the party, Theo was holding her crying baby, and Louisa had to tell her, "You need to take your baby."  She and her husband had been trying to have a baby for a long time but never thought it would happen, and now you have a baby and you're all "Yes, that's the end of it.  I'll never have any time to myself anymore."  WHAT?!

OMG Spiro loves Louisa so much.  The scene where Louisa breaks down in the car over Hugh, and Spiro pulls over to hold her hand and comfort her was just beautiful.  I just keep telling myself that either Spiro is widowed, or divorced, or it just never occurs to him that he needs to correct everyone who keeps talking about his wife and kids.  I, too, am wondering why they are making this such a darn mystery?!  I'd like someone to ask the showrunners in an interview if Spiro is married, or what??

• Love 4