Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Catastrophe and the Cure

• Start Topic

If this is supposed to be Meredith fighting against her feelings or not allowing herself to open up to Riggs or whatever, it's failing big time. It looks like she just doesn't care as much and that's why it makes zero sense that she's not being upfront with Maggie about the whole situation. 

• Love 11

Harriet is pretty big for a few days old baby. Did you notice her lifting her head up when Jackson was holding her? Newborns don't do that.

I don't think she was only supposed to be a few days old. I'm not sure how much time was supposed to have passed by now but Alex made a point of saying she had put on enough weight to go home now, so I'm guessing she's been in the hospital more than a few days.

I still find April insufferable though, sorry.

I did enjoy Richard popping in and out every time Miranda turned around. But the whole situation with Alex was handled very poorly by all concerned and did Miranda no favors in showing what kind of Chief of Staff she is. It seemed like she was trying to avoid the whole situation until Alex came to her which is the complete opposite of what should have happened given her position. Sometimes it seems like this show goes out of its way to make everyone look as unprofessional as possible.

I did not, however, think Meredith stepped over the line in talking to DeLuca in the elevator. She was speaking as Alex's friend, not as DeLuca's superior, and in no way even intimated a threat against his career. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, windsprints said:

I'm ok with him being sent to work in the clinic until the legal proceedings are done. I'm not certain how it would work in real life but I would think a surgeon could be put on administrative leave or something in a case such as this.

I can't see how Alex would still be seeing patients - aren't the patients in the clinic as worthy as surgical patients of a doctor who can give his full attention to his work? Bailey must not think much of the clinic's patients ... 

15 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The Meredith/Maggie/Riggs thing is so annoying and juvenile. Why is Meredith telling Maggie to ask Riggs on a date? It seems so high schoolish. Why can't Meredith just tell Maggie the truth-it will save her from heartbreak down the road and she won't hate Meredith for lying. Why can't anyone tell the truth?

Meredith's manipulations in Maggie's love life - or lack thereof - is annoying at best. You're right that she should just come clean with Maggie, and also tell Riggs that she's really not interested. At least, that's the vibe she's giving off.

4 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I thought for sure that Maggie, at the very least, would balk at having him stay at the house.  Her constant chattering about her sex dreams may just bring out that black-out rage again.

At least then it would be warranted. LOL

Jackson and April's baby was cute, but they seem like they are in a completely different show.  As for Amelia and Owen...I really like their house.

Doubtful Amelia and Owen will be happy for long; it just isn't in the cards, given where they work. LOL But any drama for all four of them will likely be self-inflicted; Amelia and April never seem to think they deserve what they have or what they want. 

3 hours ago, Joana said:

This. My jaw dropped when Bailey asked him if he was OK working with DeLuca. Sorry, but WHAT? I was 100% sure he'd be suspended until the trial. I guess expecting things that makes sense is too much to ask from the show at this point. 

Or at least stuck with intern work or administrative work. 

It's obvious that the Denny Duquette clinic was specifically mentioned for the first time in like a billion years just to rub it in some more for Alex. I do feel sorry for him, but he had it coming. 

Yeah, that made me LOL as well.  Alex's favorite dead guy! Heh.

3 hours ago, marceline said:

This. I have no interest in this middle school nonsense. Everyone involved is acting like a child. Except for Riggs who is doing that uncomfortable, thing where he pretends to know Mer's mind better than she does. I've never found that kind of thing cute or romantic.

There's really not much about Meredith and Riggs that's cute or romantic. They have as much chemistry as two neutrons. 

Edited by Gladrags
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I did not, however, think Meredith stepped over the line in talking to DeLuca in the elevator. She was speaking as Alex's friend, not as DeLuca's superior, and in no way even intimated a threat against his career. 

True, but I think it's logical that DeLuca would see her as his superior first and Alex's friend second and that it's not easy for him to separate the two. I never thought she really meant to threaten him, but I can see how he would take it like that. 

However, I am surprised that she realized what she had done and felt bad about it. I fully expected her to be completely oblivious about it, insist she hadn't done anything wrong and keep pushing her agenda. 

• Love 5

I have a lot of opinions here...

Maggie/Riggs/Meredith...my read on this...is Maggie likes Riggs, Riggs likes Meredith and Meredith likes....herself...Alex...but certainly not Riggs.  Ironically, I think Maggie has better chemistry with Riggs than Meredith does any way.  I do think Meredith should be straight with Maggie period...irrespective of how she reacts.

Jo...I liked Jo when she first came on the show but her character has fallen flat for me.  Even at their best, I don't she is the right fit for Alex.  But last night...first I haven't forgotten that Jo put a guy in the hospital a couple of seasons ago.  When she did, Alex was hesitant to get involved with her but Meredith convinced him to give her the benefit of the doubt.   So right now to me she looks like a liar...(her past) and a hypocrite.  I don't she's right for Alex and I may be wrong but I am sensing a Delucca romance arc which is fine since I dislike them both. 

Delucca...gonna be honest I haven't liked him since he blew Maggie off like a complete loser...so don't care what happens to him

Ehhh to Owen and Amelia...they annoy me together and a part sooo...

• Love 7

My take on Meredith's talk with DeLuca in the elevator: I certainly do not think she was trying to intimidate or threaten him in any way, shape or form, but I do see how one could interpret her words that way. I do think she meant to be sincere and supportive, but to me it came off insincere more than anything. She's right. She barely knows DeLuca. But she's Alex's best friend. Why should DeLuca think she cares about how time in a courtroom is going to take away from his residency studies over how being tried and possibly convicted of a felony assault charge is going to ruin her best friend's life? Why should DeLuca listen to anything she has to say? When DeLuca got in that elevator with her, she should have asked how his first day back went, asked how he was feeling, expressed the truth that Alex was indeed very sorry for what he did, and then shut the hell up. Everything she said after that felt like the idiot who doesn't know they have the right to remain silent and they keep digging their own grave.

About Meredith, Riggs and Maggie ... I don't care. I just do not care. Am I supposed to care? Because I do not care. Maggie has the emotional maturity of a really slow 6th grader and watching and listening to her obsess over a boy (because she's acting like a little girl pining over a boy instead of a grown-ass woman lusting after a man) is painful. Riggs is annoying and I don't know why he keeps teasing Meredith the way he does. Is he interested in hooking up with her again? Dating her? Great, whatever. Just tell her you're interested and you'd very much like to screw/see her again. She's not interested? Then go away and quit bugging me, er, her. And Meredith, I have no idea what her deal is. She's obviously interested in Riggs for ... something. But she's not ready to pursue anything, and now that she knows Maggie is interested it's even more awkward to deal with than it already was. So she ... tells Riggs to tell Maggie 'no' when she gets around to asking him out, all the while continuing to reject Riggs herself while simultaneously waving her "I'm in heat, come and get it" flag in his face? She's being ridiculous. Do you like him or not? Yes? Then tell Maggie the truth, that the two of you have the hots for each other and Riggs actually approached you (maybe or maybe not have to tell Maggie that they already boned) before you knew Maggie was interested, and get together with Riggs and see where it goes outside of her car in the parking lot. Don't like him? Then make that clear to him and stay out of Maggie's attempts to get close to him. Do not insist to Riggs that you are not interested, then tell him to reject the woman who actually does want him. Cut that out.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

About Meredith, Riggs and Maggie ... I don´t care. I just do not care. Am I supposed to care? Because I do not care. Maggie has the emotional maturity of a really slow 6th grader and watching and listening to her obsess over a boy (because she's acting like a little girl pining over a boy instead of a grown-ass woman lusting after a man) is painful. Riggs is annoying and I don't know why he keeps teasing Meredith the way he does. Is he interested in hooking up with her again? Dating her? Great, whatever. Just tell her you're interested and you'd very much like to screw/see her again. She's not interested? Then go away and quit bugging me, er, her. And Meredith, I have no idea what her deal is. She's obviously interested in Riggs for ... something. But she's not ready to pursue anything, and now that she knows Maggie is interested it's even more awkward to deal with than it already was. So she ... tells Riggs to tell Maggie 'no' when she gets around to asking him out, all the while continuing to reject Riggs herself while simultaneously waving her "I'm in heat, come and get it" flag in his face? She's being ridiculous. Do you like him or not? Yes? Then tell Maggie the truth, that the two of you have the hots for each other and Riggs actually approached you (maybe or maybe not have to tell Maggie that they already boned) before you knew Maggie was interested, and get together with Riggs and see where it goes outside of her car in the parking lot. Don't like him? Then make that clear to him and stay out of Maggie's attempts to get close to him. Do not insist to Riggs that you are not interested, then tell him to reject the woman who actually does want him. Cut that out.

Haha, your comment is cool. Perfect!

13 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think Meredith was trying to get De Luca to drop the charges. As soon as she brought up the court case taking time away from his internship I knew it was BS. 

Of course she was trying to appeal to him to drop the charges, but her framing it in the context of how it would disrupt his internship was laughable. She doesn't care about that and DeLuca knows it. She's only worried about the consequences for Alex if he were to be convicted of anything. Her comments were not a threat, though one can easily insert that subtext into her words, but they were not sincere or believable either and DeLuca should very well be pissed and offended by that alone.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The jokey lighthearted music they played during April's scenes felt unnecessary.  She's a major pain in the ass, but I felt for her.  She wanted this baby so badly and she can barely hold Harriet, let alone take her home.  And to her credit, it's not like she's trying to get back with Jackson (even though their future reconciliation is obvious) or play Happy Family. 

I did feel bad for April as well but I really don't want a reconciliation.  To me, it did feel like she was trying to get back with Jackson or maybe just make him feel horrible with her constant "You aren't my husband. I'm a single parent. I'm alone." nonsense.  For starters, even though she's technically single, she's not the kind of single parent who has to do EVERYTHING on their own.  Harriet's father is happy to be in his child's life and will do anything he can to make sure the child and mother are good.  Most single parents that I know and know of don't have that luxury.  She doesn't need to try to be a martyr.  It's just silly.  It's clear why she wouldn't want Catherine to be her "help" but if Jackson wants to get her a nurse to stay with her for a few weeks, what's the problem?   I know, hormones and what not, but I hope this doesn't turn into "woe is April"

• Love 9

I think Meredith was trying to get De Luca to drop the charges. As soon as she brought up the court case taking time away from his internship I knew it was BS. 

De Luca can drop charges if he wants, but that means very little.  The Alex-De Luca confrontation is now The State of Washington vs Alex Karev. It's the prosecutor's call to prosecute or not. It's out of De Luca's hands.

Maggie's fretting is so tiresome. When will the writers acknowledge that she's no longer 13?

I think Meredith is merely enjoying the flirtation with Riggs and has only passing interest in him. I think he's a tad more interested in her.

My goodness, does that hospital have an express elevator to what seems like the 200th floor? That was one long-ass elevator ride without interruption. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, FairyPrincess said:

I did feel bad for April as well but I really don't want a reconciliation.  To me, it did feel like she was trying to get back with Jackson or maybe just make him feel horrible with her constant "You aren't my husband. I'm a single parent. I'm alone." nonsense.  For starters, even though she's technically single, she's not the kind of single parent who has to do EVERYTHING on their own.  Harriet's father is happy to be in his child's life and will do anything he can to make sure the child and mother are good.  Most single parents that I know and know of don't have that luxury.  She doesn't need to try to be a martyr.  It's just silly.  It's clear why she wouldn't want Catherine to be her "help" but if Jackson wants to get her a nurse to stay with her for a few weeks, what's the problem?   I know, hormones and what not, but I hope this doesn't turn into "woe is April"

I don't want them to reconcile either, because the problems that broke them up are still there.  Once the afterglow of the new baby wears off, they'll have to deal with them.  I think it would be interesting to see them finally end their relationship and co/parent, while they date people who value the same things, but that won't happen because it's not dramatic enough.

But I don't think April was trying to make Jackson feel bad.  She's just trying to keep the boundaries clear: she and Jackson are divorced and she's not trying to win him back.  I think April feels really powerless because at the moment, she is.  She delivered her baby on a kitchen table with old rusty tools, and now she can't take her baby home and bond with her like she wants to.  Given that she and Jackson have been at each other's throats for so long, she doesn't want to jump and accept his help because it would make her look weak.

• Love 8

I don't understand why they don't let the baby stay in the hospital a bit longer since April has to be there.  I mean, for normal people, that would never happen, for the cost issues if nothing else.  But for Jackson and April?  It's the Avery hospital these days, so I'd think it would be super easy to let the baby stay there so April could bond.

• Love 9

I really liked Alex in this episode.  It was so refreshing to have him be the one who is driving a story.  As much as I think Meredith's methods of supporting him feel more harmful than good, it is nice to have her be the one who has to listen to his problems rather than vise versa.

I am still not on his side in the beating of DeLuca but I appreciate this episode for what it means to his character.

Speaking of DeLuca, I know this was Alex's episode but even so he seemed rather invisible even as a victim in all this.  Everybody talked around him or to him, but he barely said two words.  We don't get any inkling of what is going on with him other than he is busily glowering angrily.  How awful that he doesn't even get a scene of someone actually speaking to him in concern for his physical and mental recovery. Everybody just seems to be mad at Alex.  I swear the show could have easily jettisoned some of that stupid triangle stuff to show Maggie having a quiet conversation with showing that she has some compassion for him and that his breaking up with her is water under the bridge in the face of him having to see his attacker everyday.

And speaking of the Bermuda Triangle, good god it is even more painful than I thought it would be.  Come on!  Why is Meredith doing this.  Yeah, I am not thrilled with how they are making Maggie this pie-eyed creature who seems like she is mentally drawing hearts and rainbows in a journal, but at its basis it is a woman who is interested in a man and wants to get him interested in her.  But Maggie's awkwardness aside, I am so puzzled as to why the writers are making Meredith act this way.  It feels cruel.  By telling Nathan about Maggie's feelings and then making him promise not to go out with her, it feels like they are in on a joke  that Maggie isn't and it is at her expense.  I find the whole thing rather distasteful.

• Love 12

Yeah I'm not Maggies biggest fan but I think she has every right to be annoyed at Mer once she learns the truth.

Her crush is childish but she thinks he's available and there's potential. Meredith knows better and should be telling this to her instead of letting her confide in her about her crush.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojito said:

My goodness, does that hospital have an express elevator to what seems like the 200th floor? That was one long-ass elevator ride without interruption. 

I was wondering that too. The hospital elevators are usually full of traffic and yet for some reason this one ride went on forever. I half expected the doors to open on the bridge to the USS Enterprise.

• Love 6

I find it ridiculous that all these hot guys who we must assume should have no problems hooking up would be pining so hard for Meredith the minute she gives them any time of her day. She and Riggs had sex once, which was actually months ago in the show's universe and he's still ALL OVER her. Because she's the Sun, obviously. 

It's a shame because it really was possible to present us with a mature, relatable story of a woman finding love when she thought it was no longer possible for her. But hey, why do that when you can have silly drama. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And speaking of the Bermuda Triangle, good god it is even more painful than I thought it would be.  Come on!  Why is Meredith doing this.  Yeah, I am not thrilled with how they are making Maggie this pie-eyed creature who seems like she is mentally drawing hearts and rainbows in a journal, but at its basis it is a woman who is interested in a man and wants to get him interested in her.  But Maggie's awkwardness aside, I am so puzzled as to why the writers are making Meredith act this way.  It feels cruel.  By telling Nathan about Maggie's feelings and then making him promise not to go out with her, it feels like they are in on a joke  that Maggie isn't and it is at her expense.  I find the whole thing rather distasteful.

Yes, this.  Meredith is making a fool out of Maggie. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Yeah I'm not Maggies biggest fan but I think she has every right to be annoyed at Mer once she learns the truth.

Her crush is childish but she thinks he's available and there's potential. Meredith knows better and should be telling this to her instead of letting her confide in her about her crush.

She's not just letting her confide in her, she's setting her up to be rejected. I get why Meredith is afraid to hurt her feelings, and that it's awkward, but she's really handling it in the worst way possible.

I did enjoy the scene with Meredith telling Alex, and Alex realizing how bad the situation was when Maggie came in. It's not as bad as everything else Alex is dealing, but he's always played off Meredith well.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Joana said:

I find it ridiculous that all these hot guys who we must assume should have no problems hooking up would be pining so hard for Meredith the minute she gives them any time of her day. She and Riggs had sex once, which was actually months ago in the show's universe and he's still ALL OVER her. Because she's the Sun, obviously. 

It's a shame because it really was possible to present us with a mature, relatable story of a woman finding love when she thought it was no longer possible for her. But hey, why do that when you can have silly drama. 

Right? I don't get why Riggs is even all that into her, still.  She's not being all that friendly since their moment months ago. Like, really. She's been kind of off-putting. Even before she told him he was wrong about her feelings last episode, she wasn't being all that into him. I don't understand why he's still waiting for her. 

She really had more chemistry with that guy who she went on a date with and then freaked out the next morning on him because she wasn't ready yet. I liked him and Meredith better than her and Riggs. She actually seemed to like that guy.  I really don't think she likes Riggs. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't understand why they don't let the baby stay in the hospital a bit longer since April has to be there.  I mean, for normal people, that would never happen, for the cost issues if nothing else.  But for Jackson and April?  It's the Avery hospital these days, so I'd think it would be super easy to let the baby stay there so April could bond.

Is staying at the hospital with a mother who needs to be in the hospital better for Harriet than going home with her father? How much more time would April spend bonding with Harriet if Harriet was forced to stay in the hospital? I imagine there is some value in Harriet spending time with her father who has taken time off to care for her while her mother is healing. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You can have great sex and you can have great love, but just because you have one doesn't mean you have the other. Ideally you get both at the same time from the same person, but sometimes great sex is just great sex. Great sex doesn't mean you have a relationship though.

Maggie is having sex dreams about Riggs so she decides to ask him out because Meredith already had her great love and Amelia has her great love now with Owen (whatever). Riiighhht. So now we aren't even equating great sex with great love. Now Maggie thinks that having great IMAGINARY sex means that Riggs is her great love (or will be as soon as she asks him out). Gawd.

I think Riggs was only half joking when he asked Meredith, "So [Maggie] doesn't know you're madly in love with me?" Ugh.

Hated Meredith's ugly flesh colored turtleneck. I was sure that at some point in the episode, she was going to reveal that she was wearing it to hide hickeys from Riggs.

In theory, I totally feel for April. Of course she wants to go home and be with her baby and bond with her. But I just can't any more scenes of her crying and high pitched squealing.

I am totally fine with Alex having to face consequences for his actions. He fucked up. The only thing that bothers me is that when you consider all of the other things we've seen people do on this show with basically no consequences, it seems uneven. As I mentioned last season, whenever someone goes way over the line on this show, I ask myself, "Is this worse than Izzie cutting Denny's LVAD wires?" Too often the characters are given a pass because their intentions are good (Bailey injecting that kid with the virus after his parents specifically refused to consent to it), but this time they can't shroud Alex's actions as having good intentions. Despite his assumption that Deluca was taking advantage of Jo, they were both fully clothed. He should have pulled Deluca off the bed and stopped but instead he beat the crap out of him.

So Bailey won't let Karev perform surgery but she is willing to let him work in the clinic? If he's a liability to the hospital due to his felony charge, isn't that still true in the clinic?

The clinic is a free clinic. It probably has less liability issues because doctors are donating their time and essentially volunteering to see patients who can't afford it. Paid for by the money Izzy inherited from Denny Duquette. He was a millionaire apparently and gave it all to Izzy when he died. So Karev working there actually makes managerial sense, it's punitive enough that Bailey knows he's being 'punished', but it keeps him on staff and gives him some connection still to the hospital without having to constant run into DeLuca & other staff. It's like transferring Karev or demoting him, because pediatric attendings of surgery would schedule their residents and fellows to cover their pro bono clinic hours. Remember how House would always make his minions do it? Plus Karev likes working with kids, and he needs an anchor in the storm. The clinic is probably less stressful, basic Urgent Care stuff, super easy compared to what he normally does. 

12 hours ago, Gladrags said:

I can't see how Alex would still be seeing patients - aren't the patients in the clinic as worthy as surgical patients of a doctor who can give his full attention to his work? Bailey must not think much of the clinic's patients ... 

Meredith's manipulations in Maggie's love life - or lack thereof - is annoying at best. You're right that she should just come clean with Maggie, and also tell Riggs that she's really not interested. At least, that's the vibe she's giving off.

At least then it would be warranted. LOL

Doubtful Amelia and Owen will be happy for long; it just isn't in the cards, given where they work. LOL But any drama for all four of them will likely be self-inflicted; Amelia and April never seem to think they deserve what they have or what they want. 

Or at least stuck with intern work or administrative work. 

Yeah, that made me LOL as well.  Alex's favorite dead guy! Heh.

There's really not much about Meredith and Riggs that's cute or romantic. They have as much chemistry as two neutrons. 

It's a free clinic. Patients do not pay for service, so they are probably happy to get seen quickly (remember they were understaffed), and It's a significantly easier job. It's like moving from being a CEO of the company to a cashier or receptionist. He can still keep up his skills, teach others, and save lives. Slightly different type of work, but the decisions are easier, less critical,  and you clock in and out. You still get to help people. Plus with his court schedule, this new gig will give him more flexibility on his time. 

Under normal circumstances, Alex would have liked this gig (remember when he was a GI fellow? And when he brought all those kids from Africa for free treatment? ) If the clinic was not named after his ex's 'great love' Denny DuQuette, with a chance of ever running into crazy Izzy, he probably would have been working there already.

8 hours ago, izabella said:

They didn't go into detail, but if Kepner wants to be a true single mom, she can have a friend get the babies' bassinet and keep it in her hospital room. As long as the hospital staff doesn't have to actively care for the baby, its just like having any other family member spend the night while you are hospitalized.  If a mother is sick or hospitalized and has a breastfeeding infant, most hospitals can make accommodations to let the baby sleep in the room with mom. No charge! The issue here is that with her kitchen table c-section, Kepner cannot take care of her own baby, so she would have needed someone else to help with the baby. It makes more sense for dad to keep the kid until she is better....that's what I do whenever I'm hospitalized with my twin toddlers. Dad/nanny/family takes care of them, we have regular visits, and I sleep through the the night! I actually feel more for Jackson who has a newborn that he takes care of all night long, and then goes to work the next day. Kepner is just being a whining whiner that whines as usual.

I know the actress is quite a lovely person, but her character annoys me to bits. I want Avery to move on from her....you can do so much better Jackson! You are an Avery for crying out loud! Co-parent, be a good dad, and focus on being the best dad to Harriet (horrible name Kepner, so old sounding).

27 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

Is staying at the hospital with a mother who needs to be in the hospital better for Harriet than going home with her father? How much more time would April spend bonding with Harriet if Harriet was forced to stay in the hospital? I imagine there is some value in Harriet spending time with her father who has taken time off to care for her while her mother is healing. 

She hasn't held the baby for 2 epis and now she's crying because of missing out on overnight bonding? This is why Kepner is annoying. For a Christian, she really does not count her blessings, instead, she is always complaining of something or another. At least your kid is alive this time. At least your baby is fat and healthy. At least your baby is alive! Jeez...so what you are still in the hospital, At least you survived your risky delivery. Focus on your blessings April. Truly Jackson has the patience of a saint to still be dealing with her. 

Oh, and why can she NOT afford a nanny? It's not like she works for free! She gets paid at her job! If us regular people can afford a nanny/babysitter, she surely can.  She is a medical doctor! She is a trauma/ED attending! She is clearing at least six figures a year, $150,000-$350,000 at the bare minimum. Even after student loans and living expenses, she can afford a full time nanny. She's just being a whiner. 

• Love 8

A great episode. There was much of April and Jackson and Harriet, which I loved. Since this had come too short in the first episode. So I found it now nice that we have seen more of Japril and Harriet now. And let's be honest, but Harriet is also sweet and cuddly. Smoochy. April was naturally emotional managed just as Jackson with Harriet went. But should not April sometimes can already go? Well at least I found the scenes Japril great.

Now to Meredith, Maggie and Nathan. You can tell Meredith that she has fallen in love with Nathan, clearly, otherwise they would never have warned Nathan ago Maggie, she asks him to a date and but that it should then be nice to say no to her. So what was that? And then I will not say Meredith had no feelings for Nathan. Both have also flirting with each other at the dinner of Omelia.

And Maggie acted childish in my opinion, now they also still dreams of Nathan and? What is the nonsense. You should let go of Nathan and let him in peace. As a 13 year old teenager, she behaves. But really ! Should she go to DeLuca. Well I certainly hope that Meredith Nathan is a chance, because he is in love with her and woo them and want them. Why do they not see that one? Only because of their childish sister? I wish Lexie were alive who would not behave like that.

I must say that I really actually more like Jo as Maggie. Despite the mystery that Jo still has, because of her husband.

And what Alex and Jo is concerned, I hope the two get the back and Jo forgives Alex because she still loves him also. I also find it first really Alex lives in Meredith, so Meredith does not have to be alone with her childish sister. But I hope that Alex and Jo approach again. And Jo finally Alex is telling the truth! I also hope that Alex is in hospital now will not have that hard. For he is really a good person and a very good doctor. And I'm also confirmed in my opinion. Ben and Jackson keep Alex.

Well, on the whole the episode was great. It all came to bear character, the less and the other more.

Edited by Maukie99
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Spiderella2 said:

The clinic is a free clinic. It probably has less liability issues because doctors are donating their time and essentially volunteering to see patients who can't afford it. Paid for by the money Izzy inherited from Denny Duquette. He was a millionaire apparently and gave it all to Izzy when he died. So Karev working there actually makes managerial sense, it's punitive enough that Bailey knows he's being 'punished', but it keeps him on staff and gives him some connection still to the hospital without having to constant run into DeLuca & other staff. It's like transferring Karev or demoting him, because pediatric attendings of surgery would schedule their residents and fellows to cover their pro bono clinic hours. Remember how House would always make his minions do it? Plus Karev likes working with kids, and he needs an anchor in the storm. The clinic is probably less stressful, basic Urgent Care stuff, super easy compared to what he normally does. 

It's a free clinic. Patients do not pay for service, so they are probably happy to get seen quickly (remember they were understaffed), and It's a significantly easier job. It's like moving from being a CEO of the company to a cashier or receptionist. He can still keep up his skills, teach others, and save lives. Slightly different type of work, but the decisions are easier, less critical,  and you clock in and out. You still get to help people. Plus with his court schedule, this new gig will give him more flexibility on his time. 

Under normal circumstances, Alex would have liked this gig (remember when he was a GI fellow? And when he brought all those kids from Africa for free treatment? ) If the clinic was not named after his ex's 'great love' Denny DuQuette, with a chance of ever running into crazy Izzy, he probably would have been working there already.

They didn't go into detail, but if Kepner wants to be a true single mom, she can have a friend get the babies' bassinet and keep it in her hospital room. As long as the hospital staff doesn't have to actively care for the baby, its just like having any other family member spend the night while you are hospitalized.  If a mother is sick or hospitalized and has a breastfeeding infant, most hospitals can make accommodations to let the baby sleep in the room with mom. No charge! The issue here is that with her kitchen table c-section, Kepner cannot take care of her own baby, so she would have needed someone else to help with the baby. It makes more sense for dad to keep the kid until she is better....that's what I do whenever I'm hospitalized with my twin toddlers. Dad/nanny/family takes care of them, we have regular visits, and I sleep through the the night! I actually feel more for Jackson who has a newborn that he takes care of all night long, and then goes to work the next day. Kepner is just being a whining whiner that whines as usual.

I know the actress is quite a lovely person, but her character annoys me to bits. I want Avery to move on from her....you can do so much better Jackson! You are an Avery for crying out loud! Co-parent, be a good dad, and focus on being the best dad to Harriet (horrible name Kepner, so old sounding).

She hasn't held the baby for 2 epis and now she's crying because of missing out on overnight bonding? This is why Kepner is annoying. For a Christian, she really does not count her blessings, instead, she is always complaining of something or another. At least your kid is alive this time. At least your baby is fat and healthy. At least your baby is alive! Jeez...so what you are still in the hospital, At least you survived your risky delivery. Focus on your blessings April. Truly Jackson has the patience of a saint to still be dealing with her. 

Oh, and why can she NOT afford a nanny? It's not like she works for free! She gets paid at her job! If us regular people can afford a nanny/babysitter, she surely can.  She is a medical doctor! She is a trauma/ED attending! She is clearing at least six figures a year, $150,000-$350,000 at the bare minimum. Even after student loans and living expenses, she can afford a full time nanny. She's just being a whiner. 

April probably won't ever hire a nanny because she probably is going to be a "parents take care of their kids! Not others" I'm not a parent but I feel like Jackson and April are going to need a nanny. They are doctors! Their jobs aren't like 9-5, and Jacksons mom still works too so she can't be there either. This is a moo point though because like Mers kids, Harriet is going to be in the 24 hour daycare. 

• Love 1

Can Shonda please just end this chemistry-free Riggs crap and start MerLex? 

Its obviously coming, so the show might as well do a classic slow burn and not have them actually get together for real until late next season.  

• Love 5

She can count her blessing and still be sad/cry and have a breakdown over not being able to hold, go home and bond with her baby.

I know y'all hate her but some of you are way harsh.

There nothing annoying about Maggie, Meredith is in the wrong here. She needs to tell her the truth and go have chemistry less/ugly sex with Riggs somewhere. Let Maggie be free of this

Edited by gator12
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Can Shonda please just end this chemistry-free Riggs crap and start MerLex? 

Its obviously coming, so the show might as well do a classic slow burn and not have them actually get together for real until late next season.  

I don't see anything obviously coming with those two at all. I'm one of those who honestly doesn't see MerLex happening nor understands why it should have to. They don't have to get together because they're both ... there. They're family. He's her person. She's his. Why can't that be enough? If -- a super-big if -- it actually did happen with those two, while it wouldn't be nearly as gag-worthy as That Other Grey's Buddies-Turned-Lovers Couple That Shall Not Be Named, it would nonetheless be even bigger bullshit. Of all the bullshit storylines and twists this show has pulled in the past 12 years, that would be the one that would officially send me packing.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I don't see anything obviously coming with those two at all. I'm one of those who honestly doesn't see MerLex happening nor understands why it should have to. They don't have to get together because they're both ... there. They're family. He's her person. She's his. Why can't that be enough? If -- a super-big if -- it actually did happen with those two, while it wouldn't be nearly as gag-worthy as That Other Grey's Buddies-Turned-Lovers Couple That Shall Not Be Named, it would nonetheless be even bigger bullshit. Of all the bullshit storylines and twists this show has pulled in the past 12 years, that would be the one that would officially send me packing.

I actually wanted and enjoyed Gizzie, though Im probably one of maybe five total that did.  

Ive thought the show was headed toward Alex & Meredith since at least the beginning of the season when McDouchey died at the end, two seasons ago.  I thought they were headed there way before PD leaving and McD dying happened.  

And Ive wanted the pairing since Izzie left back in season 6.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Well, there we go.

Im pretty sure you meant this an insult, and I know Gizzie was hated by 99.97% of the audiance and they were disasterous on screen, but I still liked the pairing.  

Getting back to MerLex, maybe I and others wouldnt want it to happen if EP & MH had even an ounce of chemistry.  He doesnt have chemistry with the Maggie actress either.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Getting back to MerLex, maybe I and others wouldnt want it to happen if EP & MH had even an ounce of chemistry.  He doesnt have chemistry with the Maggie actress either.

This is a matter of opinion though,  because I think they have chemistry, in fact i quite enjoy their scenes together. If only it wasn't a ridiculous seventh heaven situation between 3 teenagers, but the person i sympathise least with is maggie, since I largely just find her actions pathetic. 

With regards to merlex, I agree completely with chicken wing. They've done a lot of stupid shit on this show, but to me that would be the biggest cop out that it's ever done, and be enough to not only make me drop this show in disgust, but would sour the entire series in my eyes. The ONLY reason this would have a chance of happening, is because Shonda is lazy and caving to (some) fan desperation. There is nothing about a mer/Alex relationship I could stomach, as they have sibling chemistry and that won't change, as much as they would try force it too.  Not to mention, there's JO, and from whats played out on screen for 3+ years is that she is the best girlfriend and support system  he's ever had. 

But my biggest issue is that it would once and for all prove that Shonda doesn't give a semblance of a crap about Alex. Because what would he get out of a relationship with Meredith? ...Absolutely nothing. Being an uncle to 3 kids that aren't his. forget him ever having his own family, he would forever just be the 3rd wheel to sister drama and probably join in on the gossip even more. It's bad enough as it is, without him becoming more of a desperate housewife. Why would they even want to do that, when if they actually put effort into it, they have a relationship formula in jolex that unique and compelling, and different to everything else on this show. 

No, if this really does happen I would finally wash my hands with this show once and for all. 

• Love 3

I loved Alex's sneering dismissive pronoucination of the Denny clinic! His genuine response, even in a time of turmoil, was so naturally delivered.

in that scene I love the Old Bailey and Alex interaction that was built on years of history, mentoring, authority, frustration, and compassion. 

Kepner surprised me only in the fact that I have blathered nonsense like that when upset, when I was younger.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I would heart this 100 times if I could!  I don't see what benefit adding a sexual component to this relationship could possibly bring that isn't already there.  They are a family, its been said over and over.  In fact, because this is Grey's Anatomy, adding that component would likely doom them, not only as a couple but as friends.  The Greyscape is littered with decimated romantic partners, even those who weren't friends first.  George and Izzie's friendship never recovered from their "romance" and I don't see anything different for Mer and Alex.  Right now they communicate and are completely honest with one another with no filter and they have each other's backs in a uncomplicated way.  That would completely go out the window the second they got romantic.  "But..." the fans say, "it doesn't have to be that way!!!"  Show me one romantic relationship on this show, past or present, that isn't filled with miscommunication, secrets and/or general dysfunction.  And that's not even taking into consideration cheating or triangles.  Grey's either can't or won't write couples as healthy, and when they try to they are usually boring as hell.  So, for me, there are 50 different reasons why I don't want these two together, but this is a big one.  "Oh, it'll be different this time because its Mer and Alex, blah, blah."  That is the definition of insanity.  IMO, Meredith and Alex have such a great dynamic simply BECAUSE they have never gone there with them and I don't want to risk that for some fan-fiction-y dream of them being the perfect couple (now that, you know, Derek and Cristina are gone and Meredith doesn't really have anyone else that she is that close with.)

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4

Aw, c'mon, she'll never learn the truth....

I suspect that, in keeping with corny TV shows, they'll save the Meredith and Alex pairing for the last few shows of the series' end.

Edited by mojito
change preposition
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, mojito said:

Aw, c'mon, she'll never learn the truth....

I suspect that, in keeping with corny TV shows, they'll save the Meredith and Alex pairing for the last few shows of the series' end.

I'm guessing that baby Ellis will accidentally call Alex "dada" and it will all make sense to Meredith. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm guessing that baby Ellis will accidentally call Alex "dada" and it will all make sense to Meredith. 

Baby Ellis still exists?

Im pretty sure you meant this an insult, and I know Gizzie was hated by 99.97% of the audiance and they were disasterous on screen, but I still liked the pairing.  

No, I don't mean to be insulting at all. But it makes sense that you see a potential, seemingly "obvious" relationship between Meredith and Alex if you were also a fan and supporter of George and Izzie's relationship because both situations involve super-close, ride or die type friendships. To me, it's the same problem for both couples -- they're more like family than anything and a romance just doesn't make sense. Ride or die friendship love does not have to turn into romantic love. Not every close boy/girl relationship has to go there. Most, frankly, do not. Men and women are capable of maintaining strictly platonic connections. And in any story, TV, movie, books, what have you, to "have" to pair up every boy and girl who happen to be close to each other is just lazy and ignores the reality that people do not actually end up wanting to have sex with every person they know. I know this show has only a passing acquaintance with reality at times, but no. Just no. As far as I'm concerned, Alex is Cristina with a penis.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 7

I like the Jackson April story but I agree with the poster who said that they seem to be in their own show.  The stories of the other cast members are much better intertwined.  I must admit that I'm not a fan of Jo. Somewhere in the midst of constantly making Alex feel guilty about not giving her the attention she needed, she should have let him know that she was already married. However, Alex overreacted and nearly killed a guy and that's on him. I can't blame Jo for that.  I also agree that it probably wasn't Meredith's intention to threaten DeLuca, but she should have realized that it would not be appropriate for someone in her position of authority to put pressure on an intern . Add that to the fake concern and I can't blame DeLuca for his response. 

Maggie was one of my favorite characters last season so I really dislike that her character is being used as a means of furthering this "forbidden love" drama between Meredith and Riggs. And do they have to make her act like an obsessed 12 year old girl?  It's particularly infuriating, given her history with Riggs.  Maggie was Riggs' superior, but when he first arrived, she had to deal with his overbearing arrogance and inability to listen to anyone else. Over time, they seemed to gain a certain amount of mutual respect, which is why it's disappointing that the writers decided to change the power dynamics between those two.  As if that weren't enough, we have Meredith  secretly telling Riggs about Maggie's feelings, and then encouraging Maggie to ask him out. I guess Mer would rather see her sister completely embarrass herself than be in the awkward position of telling her that she hooked up with Riggs. Meredith's actions seemed cruel and self-centered, but probably not too surprising, given the way she's treated Amelia and Jo.  BTW, I could have sworn there was a lot of chemistry between Maggie and Riggs last season. Certainly more than anything I've seen with Riggs and Meredith. 

I'm  wondering if Stephanie will ever get a decent story with longevity, or one that doesn't revolve around Jo. Even the fact that she's still Jo's best friend after what Jo almost got her in trouble with Amelia, tells me that the writers can't even take the time to explore what this character should really be feeling.  Not everyone will be as sensitive about these things, but I also wish that the role of female-pining-for-guy-who-isn't-as-interested-in-her  didn't always have to go to one of the two single black female regulars on the show. Yes, maybe it's a bit of an overstatement, but I still notice a difference.  Meredith, Izzie, Christina, Jo and April haven't had smooth relationships, but at the end of the day, most of the men in their lives would have gone to hell and back for them. Meredith would never get dumped by an intern (much less date one), or dream about a guy who barely noticed her; after all,  it's a foregone conclusion that every attractive successful guy over 40 is going fall head over heals in love with her.  On the other hand, Stephanie gets dumped by Jackson in the worst way possible and then accidentally asks out a high school student, and Maggie gets dumped by an intern and now obsesses over a colleague who only has eyes for Meredith. Stephanie's fleeting 5-episode romantic tragedy with a guest character doesn't count because even the writers can barely remember that it happened. I guess I should be grateful that Bailey's in a stable relationship even if it's not particularly exciting. It's odd to complain about this in a Shonda Rhimes show and admittedly, it could just be a coincidence, but that still doesn't mean that viewers won't be sensitive to it.  I'm curious to know if anyone feels the same way. I also haven't watched every Greys anatomy season,  so I could be wrong. 

Edited by FrancesL
  • Love 4

Not everyone will be as sensitive about these things, but I also wish that the role of female-pining-for-guy-who-isn't-as-interested-in-her  didn't always have to go to one of the two single black female regulars on the show. 

I hear ya. Perhaps a little bit of projection from Shonda's own life. These women are very attractive doctors, though, which broadens their "pool" of potential men, I think, compared to what Shonda's might have been. Still, their selection would not be what they are for the other doctors you mentioned. I've watched the show from the beginning and I don't recall there being other black female regulars on the show outside of Richard's wife, and now, Jackson's mom. And, of course, Miranda, who has always had some authority, which, I guess, is supposed to make up for the otherwise dearth of black female doctors. Speaking of dearths....have there been any Asian (mideast, central Asia, southeast Asia) male doctors? TV and movies still have their preferences of leads, particularly when it comes to romance. 

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the episode.

I wanted to see more of April and Jackson in the first episode and was a little disappointed last week. (Apparently they cut out one of their scenes.) Anyways, I was happy they were included. I thought April was funny and neurotic in the scene when Jackson is taking Harriet home. Logically, it would make sense for Harriet to stay in the hospital in April's room until April was released and for them then to hire a nurse or nanny to help April until she is recovered. April could pay for some of this expense and Jackson cover more of it. They could think of it as child support. But if this were a logical tv drama that did not find creative ways to put my favorite couples in proximity for romantic tension and a possible reconciliation, I most likely wouldn't be interested in watching. Instead I would watch repeats of Law and Order, which is a great tv show, but not really the same thing as Grey's.

April seems to be returning more to her personality from before Samuel's death, which is good. (I found her character mostly annoying up until season 9, but since then, I have grown to like her and have become invested in Jackson and April as a couple.) I loved the scene when she sings "Faith," although I did find it an odd choice for a lullaby. All the same Sarah Drew has a lovely singing voice and it was very sweet.

April's objection to moving in with Jackson is valid. Both of them still have feelings for each other. (I don't know how aware she is of his feelings for her.) It seems that it would be hard to push those feelings aside were they living together and for it not to be very painful when she is better and she moves out. I think it would feel like getting divorced a second time. Jackson is a natural caretaker and was very sweet, which I liked. He was so sad and angry all of last season. He seems less aware of his need for boundaries even though in the last episode he acknowledged how difficult it is to turn those feelings off. The healthiest thing for him, if he doesn't want to get entangled in a relationship with April and get back together, is for him to insist on hiring a nurse or companion to help April with the baby. I am glad, however, that Jackson is ignoring his need for boundaries and opting for romantic entanglement.

Edited by mdw
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

But just as well, Ellis can accidentally to Nathan "Dada" say so that at Meredith as a light goes on. It need not necessarily be Alex, it can also be Nathan. ;-)

This episode just reminded me how underused Justin Chambers has been on this show. He was able to convey Alex's guilt, despondency, irritability, regrets and investment in the kid so naturally, it is a shame we didn't get to see more of these in previous seasons. Although I definitely think that Alex deserves every punishment that comes to him, his sincerity in recognizing that he brought it on himself alone felt very true. His scene with Bailey was great. I loved that she said that he was the "surprise" and Chandra's "You're a good doctor" delivery was perfect. She sometimes chews the scenery too much for my taste but in this scene, both actors were top notch.

Meredith though annoyed me with her meddling. The DeLuca stuff came from good intention but just made things worse, she invited Alex to a party thrown by someone else without checking first, and her telling Riggs what to say...just eugh. Being there for Alex wasn't enough for me not to dislike her this episode.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I actually wanted and enjoyed Gizzie, though Im probably one of maybe five total that did.  

Ive thought the show was headed toward Alex & Meredith since at least the beginning of the season when McDouchey died at the end, two seasons ago.  I thought they were headed there way before PD leaving and McD dying happened.  

And Ive wanted the pairing since Izzie left back in season 6.

Hah! I liked Gizzie too. AND Dead Denny. It takes all sorts.

Edited by flickers
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, mdw said:

April seems to be returning more to her personality from before Samuel's death, which is good. 

Yes, as OTT as her crying fits were, they felt more like the April of old,  which made a nice change from the bitter martyr act we are used to seeing from her to Jackson.

Edited by flickers
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojito said:

I hear ya. Perhaps a little bit of projection from Shonda's own life. These women are very attractive doctors, though, which broadens their "pool" of potential men, I think, compared to what Shonda's might have been. Still, their selection would not be what they are for the other doctors you mentioned. I've watched the show from the beginning and I don't recall there being other black female regulars on the show outside of Richard's wife, and now, Jackson's mom. And, of course, Miranda, who has always had some authority, which, I guess, is supposed to make up for the otherwise dearth of black female doctors. Speaking of dearths....have there been any Asian (mideast, central Asia, southeast Asia) male doctors? TV and movies still have their preferences of leads, particularly when it comes to romance. 

I think the show is wary about investing in Stephanie because the last two years Shonda has cast Jerika Hinton as a lead in one of her pilots.   And last season they set up a clear exit for Stephanie if the network picked up JH's pilot.  

• Love 1
On 9/30/2016 at 8:02 AM, sarkygal said:

Does it make sense to anyone that the victim and his assaulter (also superior) are expected to continue working together? That's a workplace harassment lawsuit waiting to happen. I couldn't get past the idea that everyone thinks it's ok for. Alex to be around deLuca. Do assault victims have no protection in Shonda's World? If Alex had assaulted a female character, would he be allowed to work near her? 

Seriously. Can you say "hostile work environment"?

On 9/30/2016 at 11:19 AM, Chas411 said:

I think that while everyone has made mistakes they haven't been as bad as assault so therefore the show has to give Alex some sort of punishment to avoid too much backlash.

*Cough*LVADwire*Cough*

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I think the show is wary about investing in Stephanie because the last two years Shonda has cast Jerika Hinton as a lead in one of her pilots.   And last season they set up a clear exit for Stephanie if the network picked up JH's pilot.  

Yeah, I've gotten the feeling that they are committed to keeping the actress in the Shondaland family, but would like to exit the character from the show once a new avenue opens up for the actress.

I thought that was one of the worst episodes of GA I've ever seen. I see nothing remotely real about the way they are handling Alex situation (he should be devasted by guilty and not able to talk to Jo at all), or DeLucca situation (he should be traumatized and talking to people about what happened), or Jo situation (she should be feeling guilty and scared, not just angry). And that triangle is just a (bad) joke. I wish Maggie would die, so I wouldn't have to listen to her voice ever again. And I wish Meredith would have mindblowing sex with Riggs and then send him away for good. End of story.

The only good scene was with Alex and Bailey. Very realistic, I thought. Until I heard Bailey ask Alex if he wanted to get fired. Did I dream this, or did Cristina give Alex her share in the hospital society, a long time ago, when we were told the doctors owned the hospital? How could he be fired if he's a partner? Or are we supposed to forget that it happened at all? I swear, this show...

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

Yeah, I've gotten the feeling that they are committed to keeping the actress in the Shondaland family, but would like to exit the character from the show once a new avenue opens up for the actress.

I didn't know she was in the running for another Shonda show. But yes now there's a struggle for what to do with Stephanie. She had her big arc last season with Fez, which yes would have been a nice send off. Now she has to be a tag along to Jos arc.

That's a good point--there hasn't been any sort of Asian or Middle Eastern character, and that is not representative of the medical field. Some sort of religious diversity would be welcome too. 

I like Jerrika Hinston, and I like Stephanie the character, but she should get a great  offer for a fellowship or something to get her off the show if they can't think of a story for her. Give her the next Preminger Grant! A Christina of her own! Anything! 

The amount of things they've decided to make a huge deal about, but then drop is huge--Alex owning part of the hospital, the Board used to make decisions but not so much since half its members are dead or moved away, Kyle, the clinic (although that's been revived)...

8 hours ago, mojito said:

Well, as remiss as they have been about Indian-Asian doctors, You can't have forgotten Christina Yang already, have you? That's really the only place they have been remiss racially. The doctor staff is way blacker than any real-life hospital I've ever been to, especially that high in the power structure. It could stand to be a little more Jewish, but then again, I don't know if we know the religious background of every white character.