Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E05: Week 3: The Results

• Start Topic

(sigh)  ok Ryan can stay a bit longer if I get to see more of his adorable grandma.  

I know Kym has that newlywed glow going but did the spray tan hved to match that?  She was a pretty good sub for Erin. 

Some people were griping about it on Twitter, but I liked hearing what the judges thought while the dances occurred as they were truly on the fly and it seems the comments are more in line with what we would write.  (ex Ryan standing there and Cheryl dancing around him.)

Bye Rick.  I still don't like him but at least he seemed to enjoyed himself so that counts. 

• Love 2

I didn't think I'd be disappointed to see Rick leave, but I am. Amber can leave anytime. Maks doesn't seem too gung-ho about her, and her statement this week about "Were you out of breath after this dance?" "No" "The correct answer is yes, that means you worked hard" explains a lot.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

So Rick left, and Amber and Terra were in the bottom three? My dvr cut off, too many shows this season. 

Yes, they were the final three, but who knows who was really in the bottom three,

• Love 2

The judges sound so much less annoying when they're not trying to play to an audience.

Juliane Hough sounded so much more normal when just speaking to a cameraman. And, uh, she seemed to dress better too. The previous weeks her outfits were hurting my eyes.

If dances are going to be replayed, I just realized how stupid it is of me to watch on a Monday night.

• Love 5

That female pro dance was exactly the same as all the other stripper dances.  I notice Cheryl wasn't in it.  It's kinda entertaining to freeze frame it occasionally and get a good look at everyone's fake "o" faces.  I even feel like I've seen this dance to this music.   I wish there was more class and glamour and way less crotching (should be a word if it isn't).

Both Ryan and Amber had replayed footage in the montage of "how hard is this show".  I found that interesting.

Boy, watch Derek and Maks when they're on stage together.  Has the show told them to look like they hate each other?  They don't even exchange glances.  Other couples who are in jeopardy together kiss and hug after the announcements and maybe Derek/Marilu and Maks/Amber did when the camera cut to Tom, but they were sure back in their own corners once the cameras are on.  I am suspecting shenanigans.  Off to build a new aluminum foil hat.

I loved how many of the judges' comments to each other were exactly like the comments on here.

Amber looks so hot in black hair.  I don't like her attitude about the show and she doesn't seem to be a good match for Maks who really doesn't seem to want to be on the show.

Kym started off quite stiltedly, I thought, but she rapidly improved.  I like Erin as host better even though I like Kym as a person more.  Strange. I find Kym's nose job quite distracting and not in a good way.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 4

Okay - Val's and Maks's grandiose posturing about their manitude was a real turn-off (and I am a huge Val fan), and I disliked the mythmaking of it BUT it's all forgiveable because Tom was pogoing in the audience while cutting to commercial which was a moment of pure bliss.

And I don't know the troupe(?) girl who was dancing with Val, but that is a nice looking couple.  Gleb and Lindsey were very nice together too, but I do loathe all the new country acts the show promotes.  

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 2

Maks reaction shot when Rick was eliminated said it all. If it could talk it would have said "Oh crap I'm still here!" LMAO

I can't wait for the show to go back to elimination someone on competition night. Even skipping to the last 5 minutes via DVR was a struggle for me tonight.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

Count me as one who is happy to see the vile Perry gone. Now if we can just get rid of the other "controversial" participant - that would be Lochte, if anyone's unsure - I can finally settle in and watch the dancing with some mild human-interest nonsense appended. Sure did enjoy the abbreviated version last night, though, and I agree with many of you that the spontaneous judges' reactions we heard tonight were much better, and made much more sense, than the silly scripted blather they usually deliver after the fact.

If I had my druthers...  (1) make it a 90-minute show (60 min when the contestant numbers drop), with the accelerated competition as per yesterday's show filling about 2/3 of the time; (2) fill the rest of the time with the nightly elimination and a couple of inventively choreographed numbers by the eliminated pros &/or guest dancers. (3) Forget about the results show, and eliminate the guest singers, who for my money add nothing.  But, of course, no-one is offering me my druthers. :)

Edited by surreysmum
  • Love 4

I love, love, love Maks and Val but that chair dance was a little vulgar.  The thing that saved it  is that the lady in the chair was living life and loving it. It cracked me up when Val closed her legs. 

If that was my mom, I would be thinking about getting off social media for awhile.

• Love 2

Bye, Rick. At least you tried your hardest and hey, you had fun! That's as much as anyone can ask for!

He didn't even look that upset. I guess he knew his time was up.

I'm almost sorry the show goes back to normal next week. I agree with everyone here about the judges actually talking to the camera. Much more natural.

Edited by SpikeGal
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I didn't think I'd be disappointed to see Rick leave, but I am. Amber can leave anytime. Maks doesn't seem too gung-ho about her, and her statement this week about "Were you out of breath after this dance?" "No" "The correct answer is yes, that means you worked hard" explains a lot.

Although hilariously, last week Val was trying to catch his breath but Laurie didn't seem at all winded. I guess that's what happens when the celeb has Olympic level stamina!

• Love 2

when Val and Maks were doing their bit, before the dance, all I could think of was "I really wish they'd bring back Dance Center." I don't follow sports and I understand there's been a change in management of this show, so I guess there are reasons but I miss the guys and their glittery make up.

• Love 5

I could detect the bias for and against certain couples as Bruno commented.  It was quite obvious in a few instances where he was looking for good things to happen, and where the couple could do nothing right.  Perhaps it's just a function of having seen the dress rehearsals.  I think there is more to this, though.

It was cold blooded that we got to see Derek legitimately frosty towards Marilu.  Wow.  I certainly hope that whatever her screw-ups were, they were things he harped on during practice.  If it was simply a matter of her underperforming based on dress rehearsal, he was being a jerk.  Yay!  He's not perfect!!!  (I do like and respect the heck out of him.)

It was great, for once, to see an actual bottom queue of couples.  Yeah, it was 6 couples, but there was no chance of shenanigans - those were the bottom 6.  I do believe we saw the true bottom 2, but I have major doubt as to the bottom 3.

The best thing I saw was the extended "Making of" segment with Les.  The editing was farcical - of course was never there.  But, the music was very interesting with full-on Brasil!  Great costuming and sharp traditional samba.  I could watch stuff like this all day.

I missed Erin.  Through Kym's clipped and awkward moments, we saw how difficult that job can be.  I do love her Aussie dialect!  

8 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

That Mandy Moore female number was stupid and a total waste of time!   Please get a pro choreographer and give us some beautiful ballroom with couples not all female. 

YES. I don't even watch the female pro numbers because every single one looks exactly the same. It's such a shame and a waste of talent to have these amazing dancers up there just walking around and looking sexy (or "croctching". ha!). My husband commented that it looked like a cheerleading routine, not a dance that belongs on a ballroom show. The contrast is especially noticeable when you see Jenna dancing beautifully in the very next dance--they are SO talented. Please get a choreographer who can actually use their talent. 

I agree with the others that the judges commentary during the dances was really fun to hear. And I liked hearing Juliannes commentary about why each person won. I nearly lost my mind when CAI started talking about the lifts though--does she critique anything else? 

Did anyone else notice Juliannes comment about "this is not a Salsa. And Maks always says he's such a fan of pure ballroom" with an eye roll--I'm guessing there's no love lost between these two either (has that been discussed? I know Maks/Val and Derek has but not sure about Julianne).

• Love 4
8 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Don't like Allan's faces.  Loathe Keo's dancing.  I've tried and tried to see its beauty because I know he's won awards, but I just do NOT like the way he holds his body or the way he holds his toes? maybe.  

He has duck feet (turned out) which looks weird to me in ballroom & latin dances. He might as well be pigeon toed.

• Love 1

Are they doing these results shows all season, or just for a few weeks like in previous seasons?  They recap too much, and run out of things to talk about in hour 2 that they recap what they just recapped.  So I doubt I will be watching them anymore if they don't have more fresh material.  

I missed the Derek / Marilu thing...interesting.

YES. I don't even watch the female pro numbers because every single one looks exactly the same. It's such a shame and a waste of talent to have these amazing dancers up there just walking around and looking sexy (or "croctching". ha!). My husband commented that it looked like a cheerleading routine, not a dance that belongs on a ballroom show. The contrast is especially noticeable when you see Jenna dancing beautifully in the very next dance--they are SO talented. Please get a choreographer who can actually use their talent. 

That Mandy Moore female number was stupid and a total waste of time!   Please get a pro choreographer and give us some beautiful ballroom with couples not all female. 

The moment I saw the costumes and every one of the women trying their hardest to eye-sex the camera before they went to commercial, I went for a snack while the mess was going on, because I knew it would be more of Mandy's bullshit. Like I've said, Mandy is great at staging performances but the actual dancing she choreographs is shit and I'm over it and have been over it since she came on board. 

It was cold blooded that we got to see Derek legitimately frosty towards Marilu.  Wow.  I certainly hope that whatever her screw-ups were, they were things he harped on during practice.  If it was simply a matter of her underperforming based on dress rehearsal, he was being a jerk.  Yay!  He's not perfect!!!  (I do like and respect the heck out of him.)

I'm wondering if Marilu is having the same issue some other celebrities have had, in that she nails the routines in practice and maybe even dress rehearsal but then gets nervous for the live shows and messes up. It might also be a perfectionist thing, where she's a little too in her head sometimes. She was definitely too tense in her upper body and needed to breathe through the movements, just like the issue she had with the Jive but interestingly did not have with her Foxtrot. I also wonder if maybe Derek kept hammering the frame for the Tango and she just oversold it to the point of being too stiff. 

Speaking of Derek, yeah not a great look by any means in that backstage footage. And I could tell he wasn't happy about it, judging by that damage control he and Marilu tried to do in their interview after. The thing is, while I like Derek well enough, I've always said that he can be passive aggressive. While Maks would yell and throw tantrums, Derek is passive aggressive. He gets silent and just makes it clear he's not happy or he makes a passive aggressive comment or two under his breath. He's gotten a lot better than he was in earlier seasons but it's clearly still there.

I understand he was disappointed because just based on the choreography, I actually loved their Tango far more than  Laurie and Val's. Now in fairness, they had more appropriate Tango music but Laurie and Val's dance was just speed, speed and there were no soft moments in between. I liked the slow, sultry, passion of Marilu and Derek's Tango and I think had she executed it the way Derek probably envisioned it in his head, she would have gotten some amazing scores. But it is what it is and it's not the best look for Derek when he's all cold and passive aggressive because Marilu didn't nail the dance perfectly.

I however continue to maintain that James was underscored and the behind the scenes didn't clear it up any better, because the judges didn't seem that disappointed in his performance. I know Len mentioned about his heel leads but they all seemed to think he was nailing the steps very well so I think those 7's were bull. 

Did anyone else notice Juliannes comment about "this is not a Salsa. And Maks always says he's such a fan of pure ballroom" with an eye roll

Oh is that what was said? I saw the "that's not a Salsa" comment (and I agree with others that it was surprising she and Bruno, especially Bruno, were the ones so dismissive of the dance entirely because it wasn't an actual Salsa, while Len was fine with it) and then the next thing I know, twitter was blowing up with fans of Maks and Val dragging Julianne for her comment. Well I've already stated my opinion on all of these people and their interactions with each other, and I stand by that. I don't think there is any love lost between Maks and either Hough sibling and vice versa. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

That Mandy Moore female number was stupid and a total waste of time!   Please get a pro choreographer and give us some beautiful ballroom with couples not all female.  Moore's dances are all the same, year after year, boo!!!!!!!!

You speak the truth.  Her choreography of actual ballroom/latin steps is non-existent.  That alone makes me mad since this is a ballroom dancing show.  But REALLY confuses me is that the actual choreography she puts together SUCKS. It's not like it's even decent contemporary (which is in her wheelhouse).  Walking, posing, crotching, and hair flipping is just BAD choreography for ANY dancer.  I don't watch SYTYCD but I am almost positive that she actually choreographs actual routines for that show.  With a theme, and steps, and thought. If she REFUSES to even attempt to include ballroom/latin steps for the routine....for the love of God why not have the dancers actually dance????  Ok. Sorry. Rant over.

Anyway, Val & Maks performance was not breaking new ground or anything....but compared to what Mandy put together...it was a breath of fresh air to see some actual dancing that fit with this show.  And it was just fun to watch.  More of that please. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

And I don't know the troupe(?) girl who was dancing with Val, but that is a nice looking couple.  

I thought that too.  She is a troupe addition that I like.  Great dancing from her. On the other hand a troupe member that I could do without...Dennis.  With that blonde hair he stands out in a bad way. But the number he danced when he was in pink and Keo and Alan were in yellow...he was not good. He was just so sloppy with the steps.  And his partner work seemed sloppy and not sharp. At one point I thought his partner was going to fall.

• Love 3

That female pro dance was exactly the same as all the other stripper dances.  I notice Cheryl wasn't in it.  It's kinda entertaining to freeze frame it occasionally and get a good look at everyone's fake "o" faces.  I even feel like I've seen this dance to this music.   I wish there was more class and glamour and way less crotching (should be a word if it isn't).

Oh, I agree 100%. Why can't they do anything elegant for once?? Seems it is all R-rated gymnastics at times!

Really makes me enjoy Maureen more and more. I like the way she is improving and learning. She is what the show should be all about!

• Love 3

In my head I like to think that Cheryl took one look at Mandy's horrid "choreography" for that girls number and just said no, thank you and left.   I'll take that rainbow number from last week any day over another bump and grind female number.  I actually find it fairly demeaning to the female pros that when the male dancers are taken out of the equation, that is all Mandy Moore (and sometimes themselves depending on who is choreographing) think they are good for on the dance floor.  I have no problem with females expressing their sexuality, but I'm not even sure that qualified as dancing.

• Love 7

Bruno's comments when Terra was dancing seemed so condescending. I know she couldn't hear him, but he kept saying things like Aww, so cute! So sweet!. I though Julianne made comments like that too. I'm sure Terra wants to be treated like everyone else. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, RemoteControl88 said:
On 9/27/2016 at 7:57 PM, crowceilidh said:

And I don't know the troupe(?) girl who was dancing with Val, but that is a nice looking couple.  

I thought that too.  She is a troupe addition that I like.  Great dancing from her. On the other hand a troupe member that I could do without...Dennis.  With that blonde hair he stands out in a bad way. But the number he danced when he was in pink and Keo and Alan were in yellow...he was not good. He was just so sloppy with the steps.  And his partner work seemed sloppy and not sharp. At one point I thought his partner was going to fall.

Like you I don't care for Dennis Jauch either. He just seems to not be on the same level as the other troupe dancers and even looks thick and a bit clunky at times. The hair look doesn't exactly help because it makes him too easy to spot in the group routines.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 1

Please bring back pro numbers like this!  ( I agree, I think Cheryl refused to be in Mandy's number because it was just a pile  of you know what.....

I'd almost argue to bring back this version of Taylor Swift but I digress.

• Love 1

It certainly look like that direction will be coming back anytime soon, especially with their continued hiring of dancers for the troupe who have no background in ballroom. It's telling that everytime there is a bumper that is actually a technical ballroom style, they go to Alan and Jenna and now Brittany this season, who they've decided to bring back after jerking her around constantly. But no worries, they can all shake their asses very well so it's all good.  

I wonder if the judges are all shouty and yelly every week during the routines, or if they were asked to be extra vocal so the show could play it back on Tuesday (since they didn't get to say anything on the Monday show). Wow, that has to be distracting for the couples while they're dancing. Surely they can hear them when they get close to the judge's table.

I did, however, feel vindicated to hear the judges say the exact same thing as I did about Cheryl just dancing around Ryan while he stood there and did nothing like a lamp post. Surely they must have to say that every time Cheryl dances though, no matter who her partner is, because that's been her M.O. for years.

Not that I'm sorry to see him leave, but they had two entire hours of nothing but filler, filler, and more filler - and still the contestant that's eliminated gets the bum's rush because they've run out of time! For Pete's sake, they had nothing but time - couldn't they have allotted just five minutes for a decent exit interview and a clip package? And I don't get how Rick Perry's dancing is benefiting some veteran's group. Is he donating whatever salary they're paying him?

• Love 1

Please bring back pro numbers like this!  ( I agree, I think Cheryl refused to be in Mandy's number because it was just a pile  of you know what.....

Wow, that is an old clip. Jonathan Roberts and Anna Trebunskaya!

I miss beautiful dancing like that.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder if the judges are all shouty and yelly every week during the routines, or if they were asked to be extra vocal so the show could play it back on Tuesday (since they didn't get to say anything on the Monday show). Wow, that has to be distracting for the couples while they're dancing. Surely they can hear them when they get close to the judge's table.

I did, however, feel vindicated to hear the judges say the exact same thing as I did about Cheryl just dancing around Ryan while he stood there and did nothing like a lamp post. Surely they must have to say that every time Cheryl dances though, no matter who her partner is, because that's been her M.O. for years.

Not that I'm sorry to see him leave, but they had two entire hours of nothing but filler, filler, and more filler - and still the contestant that's eliminated gets the bum's rush because they've run out of time! For Pete's sake, they had nothing but time - couldn't they have allotted just five minutes for a decent exit interview and a clip package? And I don't get how Rick Perry's dancing is benefiting some veteran's group. Is he donating whatever salary they're paying him?

I'd argue that Cheryl hasn't had a good partner in a long time.  Towards the end of her run they were continually giving her bottom of the barrel people who couldn't move.  Who was her last good partner?  Last time she was anywhere near a finale was Rob Kardashian.

Also I'd guess that the ballroom is so loud that there is no way the couples can even hear the judges during the dance.  I think they have a hard time hearing Tom and the judges speak when they are actually supposed to be speaking, so it's unlikely they can hear them during the dance itself.  I'm sure in the footage they amped up the volume for our home benefit.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I caught that, too. That was my whole complaint the year that Cheryl had that hot Latin actor...I forgot his name. The year she got to the Finals, but came in third (Donald Driver's season). He was a decent dancer, and he was drop dead gorgeous, but I got irritated with her constantly dancing around him like he was a stripper pole.  It's her thing. She disguises her partner's flaws well, but it seems like even the judges notice her "pole technique."  That's why I do enjoy hearing their comments (the next day) on the results show. Something that is missing when they eliminate the same night as the performances. 

But TWO HOURS? Holy crap. That's a LOT of filler. 

The celebrities participating in the show receive a base salary per week. As they advance and make it to certain 'milestone' weeks their pay increases. (someone more familiar with the actual numbers could explain it better or look up Shawn Johnson's contract on line. I know it's public record because she was on the show as a minor). 

Rick is donating any money earned on the show to a veterans group tho I'm not sure which one. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, spanana said:

In my head I like to think that Cheryl took one look at Mandy's horrid "choreography" for that girls number and just said no, thank you and left.   I'll take that rainbow number from last week any day over another bump and grind female number.  I actually find it fairly demeaning to the female pros that when the male dancers are taken out of the equation, that is all Mandy Moore (and sometimes themselves depending on who is choreographing) think they are good for on the dance floor.  I have no problem with females expressing their sexuality, but I'm not even sure that qualified as dancing.

This. I don't mind a sexy bump and grind ladies dance now and then. That's one way women can be sexy and powerful. But I would die of shock if they ever did something else. Get inspired by Rhythm Nation or Chicago/Fosse or  go fully lyrical and feminine. It's not like they don't have the dancers capable of those things since the troupe is all either Jazz/Contemp dancers or cross-trained ballroom dancers.

I would much rather an actual contemporary number than a pose-y oversexed "girl power" number like we got this week.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, mimirose41209 said:

The celebrities participating in the show receive a base salary per week. As they advance and make it to certain 'milestone' weeks their pay increases. (someone more familiar with the actual numbers could explain it better or look up Shawn Johnson's contract on line. I know it's public record because she was on the show as a minor). 

Rick is donating any money earned on the show to a veterans group tho I'm not sure which one. 

Are you sure? Because I thought so until I heard him say, "I'm dancing for America's veterans" which sounded more like audience manipulation than a real commitment. Seems if you mention it, though, you should be donating your salary. But also seems it would be good to mention a specific group since others might contribute, too, after a celeb does.  Do we know for certain Perry was actually giving his earnings away?

• Love 1