Type keyword(s) to search

Speechless in the Media

"B-I--Bikini U-N--University" (2x8, Nov. 29) -- just a press release, no promo pix (something I'd chalk up to ABC's increasingly poor promotion of this show, except I seem to recall 1x8, "R-A-Y-C--Ray-Cation," never getting any promo photos either) UPDATE: OK, for some reason, they waited until after 2x7 aired to post pix for this ep.

Yup, this is the one with guest star Nick Viall ('The Bachelor'); still not keen on the ABC cross-promotion, but at least the plot sounds really funny, and I've actually kinda been wanting to see a JJ-goes-on-a-campus-visit ep anyway. (The title reminds me of "Hotpants College 2," one of the movies-within-the-movie from the 1998 British comedy 'Love & Death on Long Island'. xD ) Can't wait to see how home-alone Ray "goes wild," though I wonder what Dylan (and Kenneth, for that matter) will be up to why he's not going when Dylan apparently is (according to the new promo and behind-the-scenes photos), as well as what Kenneth will be up to...

And in other ABC news, here is a rundown of all their Christmas/New Year's-themed programming (Nov. 22-Dec. 31), including the Dec. 13 'Speechless' episode "S-I--Silent Night":

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/11/abc-celebrates-most-wonderful-time-of.html

Congrats to Micah, who just landed on Forbes' "30 Under 30" list (Teenagers -- Class of 2018)! :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinehoward/2017/11/14/30-under-30-2018-youngest-teenagers/#29e1d7b73623

Edited by GRChereck
updates
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

Saw some promo on ABC advertising the thanksgiving episodes of comedies such as modern family

speechless was not mentioned.

ABC Marketing really hates this show, don't they?

I've been seeing a promo that advertises the whole comedy lineup; but yeah, it seems to be the only one of the four whose individual promo they're not airing. :(

Still, for what it's worth, unlike the last episode's promo, at least this one got posted online by the official Twitter feed -- and in a somewhat timely manner (plus Minnie and Micah have already also posted it):

Edited by GRChereck

"S-T--Star W--Wars W--Wars" (2x9, Dec. 6)

"Silent Bob" himself, Kevin Smith, will be playing himself in this one! And nice to see Logan (Taylor's brother) again already... :D

We finally get another Kenneth/Dr. Miller pairing (their first since 1x11, "Road Trip"); while it would be weird now for them to get into how he stood her up in that episode, at least this one seems like a good opportunity for the show to delve more into their personal lives. Also, can't wait to see what Dylan and the parents are up to...

Entertainment Weekly -- an exclusive First Look at Nick Viall on next week's episode ("B-I--Bikini U-N--University")

iGeneration Youth -- nice article/review, including comments from Micah and Cerebral Palsy Foundation CEO Richard Ellenson :)

Edited by GRChereck

"S-I--Silent N-I--Night" (2x10, Dec. 13) (press release AND promo pix!) 

Logan will put in yet another appearance, and Sarah Chalke (Dr. Elliot Reid on 'Scrubs') will be playing his and Taylor's mom -- who will have some sort of history with Maya. :D Also looking forward to rare pairings of JJ/Dylan and Jimmy/Kenneth!

Still no promo pix for 2x9 ("Star Wars Wars"), and I'm guessing there won't be any if they're not posted this week after 2x8 ("Bikini University") airs. EDIT: Yup, they were posted today (11/30)! :)

In the new TV Guide (Nov. 27-Dec. 10, 2017 "Holiday Preview" issue):

:)

And now the first s.2 promo ad that's been posted on YouTube since the one for the season premiere (I already saw it aired during Thursday night's 'Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Christmas' special and Friday night's 'Agents of SHIELD' s.5 premiere):

Edited by GRChereck
updates
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

Hey, they're both Jersey boys, they probably had a lot to talk about!

But JJ doesn’t talk so I was jokingly making a point how this would’ve ruined the immersion in say wrestling, etc haha.

On 12/13/2017 at 2:00 AM, bros402 said:

good, they have good place and speechless on there, that makes it a great list :D

Yay! Still love both shows so much... :)

ETA: Also, NPR's TV critics picked their favorite shows of the year -- Linda Holmes picked 'Speechless,' and all three critics picked 'The Good Place':

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/12/14/569893288/nprs-favorite-tv-shows-of-2017

A couple previews of tonight's Christmas episode:

FanFest: "S-I--Silent N-I--Night" Makes Joyful Noise (I knew the supermarket from "D-I--Ding" would figure into it... :D )

Entertainment Weekly: Preview clip of Sarah Chalke as Taylor and Logan's mom

Also, The Futon Critic has leaked titles for the next three scheduled eps:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/speechless/listings/

2/7/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

1/31/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

1/24/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

1/17/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#213) D-I-- DIMEO A-C-- ACADEMY (*) 

1/10/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#212) THE H-U-S-- HUSTLE (*)

1/3/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#211) N-E-- NEW Y-- YEAR'S E-- EVE (*)

12/27/17 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#202) F-I-- FIRST S-E-- SECOND F-- FIRST DAY (R)

12/20/17 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#201) W-E-- WE'RE B-A-- BACK! (R)

(Doesn't sound like they're doing another "spontaneous road trip" ep for s.2, though I guess they already sort of did one with "We're Back"...)

Edited by GRChereck
updates

I apologize if this is not supposed to be here but since it is about one of the actors, I will post the link and just say this:

Thank you Minnie Driver! As a survivor of assault, I appreciate that you said what many need to listen. Men cannot dictate how we are supposed to feel, and what is "worse". 

Bonus points for showing that Matt Damon is not only a racist, he is also sexist (but I knew that already).

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/16/minnie-driver-matt-damon-men-cannot-understand-abuse

• Love 1
3 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I apologize if this is not supposed to be here but since it is about one of the actors, I will post the link and just say this:

Thank you Minnie Driver! As a survivor of assault, I appreciate that you said what many need to listen. Men cannot dictate how we are supposed to feel, and what is "worse". 

Bonus points for showing that Matt Damon is not only a racist, he is also sexist (but I knew that already).

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/16/minnie-driver-matt-damon-men-cannot-understand-abuse

Thanks for sharing that! Minnie is right on, and I especially like how Alyssa Milano put it: “There are different stages of cancer. Some more treatable than others. But it’s still cancer.”

• Love 1

"N-E--New Y--Year's E--Eve" (2x11, Jan.3) -- press releases / promo pix for 'Middle,' FOTB, 'Blackish,' 'Goldbergs' and AH have all been out since Monday; but for some reason, ABC has been really dragging their feet on this show and MF (and I guess 'Mayor' isn't airing that week)

JIMMY & MAYA DATE NIGHT?!? :D 

Also, poor JJ, but looking forward to what's in store for him; and looks like Dylan will try bonding with the new dog. :)

Not directly show-related, but seems like a positive development for disability representation in the arts:

Deadline: Casting Society Issues Open Call to Performers With Disabilities

Locations and times available here (keep checking for updates): https://www.facebook.com/CSAInclusionAndDiversity/

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1

"The H-U-S--Hustle" (2x12, Jan. 10) -- I guess because of Christmas being Monday, ABC decided to put up the next press release / promo pix a little early. (Lookin' good, Jimmy!) :)

Minnie and 8,000+ others were sworn in as US citizens in L.A. yesterday (Dec. 21)!

https://mynewsla.com/life/2017/12/21/eight-thousand-new-americans-include-oscar-nominee-minnie-driver/

Kinda makes me wonder if the show will address Maya's citizenship status in some way at some point (as FOTB did with Jessica in its 3rd season last year)...

"D-I--DiMeo A-C--Academy" (2x13, Jan. 17) -- another Monday holiday (New Year's Day), another early press release. Aside from a plot involving Kenneth and one of his ex-wives, I'm not sure this synopsis sounds so promising (Maya opting to home-school the kids after "a dustup with Lafayette High"...) :\

Also, 'Speechless' made another year-end best list:

THR: Daniel Fienberg's "Second" 10 Best Shows of 2017 (#17) -- includes nice shout-outs to the cast members. :D

Edited by GRChereck
updates
7 hours ago, paulvdb said:

ABC Unveils Midseason Schedule

The season finale episodes of "Fresh Off the Boat" and "Speechless" will air March 20 and March 21, respectively.

Ah, ya beat me to the punch. :)

In other programming notes, apparently neither is airing a new ep the week of Jan. 23-24 (the former is scheduled to re-air its season premiere, while the latter is supposed to be pre-empted for a second 'American Housewife' episode), and FOTB will also likely air a rerun before the State Of The Union address Jan. 30:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/fresh-off-the-boat/listings/

Also, the orders for both shows have been cut to 19 and 18 episodes, respectively. :(

Deadline

Edited by GRChereck
update
14 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Ah, ya beat me to the punch. :)

In other programming notes, apparently neither is airing a new ep the week of Jan. 23-24 (the former is scheduled to re-air its season premiere, while the latter is supposed to be pre-empted for a second 'American Housewife' episode), and FOTB will also likely air a rerun before the State Of The Union address Jan. 30:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/fresh-off-the-boat/listings/

Also, the orders for both shows have been cut to 19 and 18 episodes, respectively. :(

Deadline

ugh. I know ABC had a big comedy slate - I suppose it is better that they cut a few episodes instead of having a hiatus or airing it in a weird timeslot.

Since, assuming Disney buys Fox, they will own Speechless - so they get all of the profit.

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

I suppose it is better that they cut a few episodes instead of having a hiatus or airing it in a weird timeslot.

True; I had also considered burning off a few eps through the Olympics a possibility (assuming the shows had full-season orders), which I think would've been a ratings disaster (not to mention a promotional nightmare for ABC, having to push new eps of their less-promoted shows, to the exclusion of more heavily-hyped shows that would be in reruns). 

Another thing I thought about: Last spring, broadcast-network ratings across the board took a hit after Daylight Saving Time began (in mid-March); while I seem to recall FOTB has always been "on the bubble" (though it hasn't been killed yet, despite having changed time slots at least a few times in its first 3 seasons), 'Speechless' arguably took the biggest hit of the ABC comedies, and it still hasn't recovered from those spring numbers (1.1 - 1.4). (Fortunately, it's gone below that only once this season so far, when "S-H--Shipping" did 0.9 -- 1.0 with Live+Same Day adjustment -- up against Game 7 of the World Series.)

Still, I suspect ABC's screwy scheduling last April -- namely, airing "C-H--Cheater," the first half of a two-parter, between two two-week breaks -- likely did the most to kill whatever momentum the series had. And I wonder if ABC, by shaving a few episodes off s.2, was trying to avoid having the show take similar late-spring breaks (spreading 4 episodes across April and May) that most likely would've hurt the ratings even further. (And FOTB s.4, too, which would've had to spread 3 eps across two months.)

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

Since, assuming Disney buys Fox, they will own Speechless - so they get all of the profit.

Yup; 'Speechless' is partially owned by ABC/Disney anyway, but yeah, the merger would make it fully owned. :) (And also, ownership of FOTB would shift from Fox to ABC.) 

Micah shares some pix from TCA Winter 2018:

:)

Edited by GRChereck
update
On 1/9/2018 at 2:38 AM, bros402 said:

ugh. I know ABC had a big comedy slate - I suppose it is better that they cut a few episodes instead of having a hiatus or airing it in a weird timeslot.

When you have Rosannne and Braff in the wings it’s hard to keep them off to the side. I’m honestly shocked they haven’t tried to readd comedies to Friday yet.

Edited by Skyfall
On 1/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, Skyfall said:

I’m honestly shocked they haven’t tried to readd comedies to Friday yet.

Having a third night of comedy (preferably Friday -- either another one-hour block (like LMS/'Dr. Ken') or a full-on TGIF-style lineup -- would be ideal, especially if ABC is looking to pick up more family comedies during pilot season. :)

Update on the listings for both FOTB and 'Speechless': According to Futon Critic, they're both definitely taking off the weeks of Feb. 13-14 and Feb. 20-21; but FOTB has only 5 open slots for 6 remaining episodes... which makes me think either the order-cut ought to have been the other way around and somebody screwed up somewhere, or it was a deliberate move on ABC's part so they could use one of the 'Speechless' slots to see how FOTB would fare paired with 'The Goldbergs.'

FOTB:

3/20/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC Season Finale (*)

3/13/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/6/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

2/27/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

2/6/18 (Tu. )8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

EDIT:

1/30/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC (#414) We Need to Talk About Evan (*)

1/30/18 (Tu.) 8:00 PM ABC (#415) A Man to Share the Night With (*)

1/30/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC LIKELY REPEAT DUE TO STATE OF THE UNION (R) (*)

1/23/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC (#401) B as in Best Friends (R)

'Speechless':

3/21/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC Season Finale (*)

3/14/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/7/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

2/28/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

2/21/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC LIKELY REPEAT/PRE-EMPT DUE TO OLYMPICS COMPETITION (*)

2/14/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC LIKELY REPEAT/PRE-EMPT DUE TO OLYMPICS COMPETITION (*)

2/7/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

EDIT: 1/31/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#203) J-J'S D-R-- DREAM (R) (*)

Edited by GRChereck
updates

They could rest The Middle for a week and double up on FOTB, or air FOTB on Wednesday for a week (like last year) to save The Goldbergs for the spring. I just hope they don't pair new Speechless with Goldbergs reruns. The 1/24 episode looks like some backdoor pilot with WMC that may or may not count against their episode order.

I think FOTB and Speechless should be leading off Fridays as long as they can maintain the same numbers and ride to syndication since they're not expensive yet. Not happy about the cut episodes, but hopefully the cast gets paid for the full season.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, 71dude said:

They could rest The Middle for a week and double up on FOTB, or air FOTB on Wednesday for a week (like last year) to save The Goldbergs for the spring. I just hope they don't pair new Speechless with Goldbergs reruns. The 1/24 episode looks like some backdoor pilot with WMC that may or may not count against their episode order.

Either way, I guess ABC won't being using one of the 'Speechless' slots for a FOTB episode after all -- 1/31 is now scheduled to be a rerun of "J-J's D-R--Dream" (2x3). 

EDIT (1/12): Instead of airing 'Middle' and FOTB reruns before the SOTU address, looks like FOTB will double up on new episodes! :) (Unfortunately, 'Speechless' Feb. 7 episode is going to be stuck between two two-week breaks. :p )

EDIT (1/17): According to a tweet from Mason, it looks like there may not be a Feb. 7 episode, in which case the show will go on a five-week break before having to cram the last five eps into four weeks. :p

On 1/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, 71dude said:

I think FOTB and Speechless should be leading off Fridays as long as they can maintain the same numbers and ride to syndication since they're not expensive yet. Not happy about the cut episodes, but hopefully the cast gets paid for the full season.

100% agreed. 

Edited by GRChereck
updates
19 hours ago, 71dude said:

The Middle is already resting a week due to Roseanne Premiere. And the 1/24 episode is the pilot to the spinoff that didn’t get picked up last spring. I actually think it’ll pop a decent number due to fans wondering if the right choice was made. Also FOTB is either in syndication after this season or very close to it. With that said I think it should get a short order next season to use as spackle if a new comedy fails on a Friday after Speechless. That way it’s assured syndation or pads the episode count but is not getting the high pressured fall slot.

EDIT: Also Shark Tank back to Friday please!

Edited by Skyfall
On 1/16/2018 at 9:33 PM, 71dude said:

So that leaves five episodes to jam in to the last four weeks - they'll probably end with a double.

Or since FOTB now has four slots to air only three remaining episodes after the Olympics, I wonder if ABC might test 'Speechless' in one of them...

3/20/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC Season Finale (*)

3/13/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/6/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

2/27/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

(2/7 -- this night was originally slated for a three-hour Rolling Stone Magazine 50th-anniversary tribute, which got scrapped earlier this month in the wake of harassment allegations against co-founder Jann Wenner; no idea what's replacing it yet, though, aside from a new 'Match Game' during the last hour...)

2/6/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC (#416) Ride The Tiger (*)

(1/31 -- Wed. comedy reruns and a new 'Match Game')

1/30/18 (Tu.) 8:30 PM ABC (#414) We Need to Talk About Evan

1/30/18 (Tu.) 8:00 PM ABC (#415) A Man to Share the Night With

Also, some sad news from the Silveri family: According to a comment from Scott's sister Sarah on this Facebook post, their brother Gregory died earlier this week. :(

EDIT: http://www.lsvpmemorialhome.com/Obituary/4593/Gregory+Joseph+Silveri

Sarah Silveri-Miller Hi all. My name is Sarah and one of my three brothers, Scott Silveri, is the creator of Speechless. 

This picture is of Gregory Silveri. The inspiration for this show. He passed away yesterday.

My family wanted to share his smiling spirit with you all so you can see what a beautiful person he was and to make sure his spirit lives on.

Thank you for helping spread awareness about cerebral palsy by supporting the spirit of our family through this beautiful show.

Gregory is no longer Speechless!

Edited by GRChereck
update

"E-I--Eighteen" (2x14, Feb. 28) -- press release and promo pix

A birthday episode for JJ! :) No specific mention of Maya, but I'm guessing she might be especially having trouble dealing with her Baby Boy growing up. Also, I wonder what sorts of "old moves" Ray has learned from Jimmy...

The season finale (2x18) was filmed this past week (Feb. 5-9); here's a cast-and-crew photo, as well as a pic from the Feb. 1 table read:

Edited by GRChereck
update
On 2/12/2018 at 8:11 PM, readster said:

Hard to believe, but yes, most shows are filming the end of their seasons right now. I know The Middle is about to wrap their FINAL episode next week and other shows are finishing up this week and next. 

Oh, I know. :) 'The Middle' is gonna be a tough one for me -- I've watched and loved that show from the beginning -- but I'm glad it got to wind down and wrap up on its own terms.

"U-N--Unforgettable P-A--Pain" (2x15, March 7) -- ABC is early with the press materials* yet again, since Presidents Day is Monday.

Interesting that this one has virtually the same character pairings as "Silent Night" (2x10) -- Ray/Maya, JJ/Dylan and (yay!) Jimmy/Kenneth. :D Still, I'm a little disappointed there hasn't really been a Jimmy/Ray plot yet this season, unless you count their mini-golf outing with Maya and Taylor in "Shipping" (2x6)...

* - The Tuesday, March 6 lineup is reruns of 'Middle,' FOTB and 'Blackish,' plus the season (series?) finale of 'Kevin (Probably) Saves the World'... which gives 'Speechless' only two weeks to air its last three s.2 episodes, so one of them will have to air in one of the two post-'Blackish' slots otherwise slated for 'Modern Family' reruns:

3/21/18 (We.) 9:00 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/20/18 (Tu.) 9:30 PM ABC TBA (R) (*) -- which I think would be smarter ratings-wise, as it wouldn't be up against the s.2 finale of 'This Is Us'

3/14/18 (We.) 9:00 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/13/18 (Tu.) 9:30 PM ABC TBA (R) (*) -- unfortunately, this seems more likely, since I could imagine ABC wanting something new as a lead-in to the series premiere of 'For The People' :\

3/7/18 (We.) 9:00 PM ABC (#915) Written in the Stars (*)

2/28/18 (We.) 9:00 PM ABC (#914) Spanks for the Memories

3/14/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC TBA (*)

3/7/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#215) U-N-- UNFORGETTABLE P-A-- PAIN

2/28/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#214) E-I-- EIGHTEEN

Edited by GRChereck
3 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Oh, I know. :) 'The Middle' is gonna be a tough one for me -- I've watched and loved that show from the beginning -- but I'm glad it got to wind down and wrap up on its own terms.

"U-N--Unforgettable P-A--Pain" (2x15, March 7) -- ABC is early with the press materials* yet again, since Presidents Day is Monday.

Interesting that this one has virtually the same character pairings as "Silent Night" (2x10) -- Ray/Maya, JJ/Dylan and (yay!) Jimmy/Kenneth. :D Still, I'm a little disappointed there hasn't really been a Jimmy/Ray plot yet this season, unless you count their mini-golf outing with Maya and Taylor in "Shipping" (2x6)...

* - The Tuesday, March 6 lineup is reruns of 'Middle,' FOTB and 'Blackish,' plus the season (series?) finale of 'Kevin (Probably) Saves the World'... which gives 'Speechless' only two weeks to air its last three s.2 episodes, so one of them will have to air in one of the two post-'Blackish' slots otherwise slated for 'Modern Family' reruns:

Why is ABC revealing a subplot before new episodes have  aired? I love Dylan and JJ together. We don't see Dylan and Maya together often either.

• Love 1

Aww! :)

On 2/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, kathyk24 said:

We don't see Dylan and Maya together often either.

Yeah... :\ I guess maybe they're too similar personality-wise, and the writers have had a hard time coming up with conflicts they could get into.

Programming update: Guess I was wrong about the show having to take one of the 'Modern Family' rerun slots* -- according to the Futon Critic listings, 2x16 and 2x17 will air March 14**, one at the usual time and the other in 'The Goldbergs' slot. (Also, MF is scheduled to have a rerun that night for some reason, while 'American Housewife' is supposed to be new.) 

3/14/18 (We.) 8:30 PM ABC (#216) A-C-- ACTION (*)

3/14/18 (We.) 8:00 PM ABC (#217) ONE A-N-- ANGRY M-- MAYA (*)

* - as the lead-in to the 'For the People' premiere March 13, 'Black-ish' is doubling up on new episodes. (Also, the March 6 reruns have been replaced with a 'Bachelor: After the Final Rose' special).

** - of all nights for 'Speechless' to do this! xD Since (weather and health permitting) I may not be home -- I have tickets to see my favorite band, They Might Be Giants, in Omaha that night -- I'm going to have to be extra careful how I record both eps so the DVR doesn't cut off the end of the first one or the beginning of the second one.

EDIT: Press materials for both episodes -- 

"One A-N--Angry M--Maya" (2x16, March 14) (Zach Anner is credited as co-writer on this one; plus Sarah Chalke returns as Melanie Hertzal... :D )

"A-C--Action!" (2x17, March 14) (JJ's new friend from 2x15 makes another appearance)

No mention of Kenneth in either synopsis, but unless he's doing his own thing that ABC would rather not spoil, I would assume he figures into the JJ plots (online dating and film-class project, respectively)... 

Edited by GRChereck
updates; clarity
(edited)

HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY to Micah, who is scheduled to honored this Sunday (March 11) at United Cerebral Palsy of Los Angeles, Ventura & Santa Barbara Counties' 4th annual Art of Care gala. :)

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/SPEECHLESS-Star-Micah-Fowler-to-Be-Honored-by-by-United-Cerebral-Palsy-of-LA-20180110

More about UCPLA: https://www.ucpla.org/

"N-O--Nominee" (2x18, March 21) (season finale)

This synopsis sounds like it might be pretty spoiler-y about this week's and next week's episodes; but here's what Mason had to say in a recent interview with Pop-Culturalist:

"We are currently filming the season finale episode and I will say it wraps up some storylines very nicely, but there is also a BIG cliffhanger to play out in season three. Hopefully we will be back in the fall so our fans aren’t left hanging!"

(Also, love the bit where he sums up each of his cast mates in a word. :D )

Matt Roush (of TVInsider.com/TV Guide) weighs in on this season's shortened order and the show's renewal chances:

https://www.tvinsider.com/672406/ask-matt-speechless-this-is-us-oscars-the-americans/

Should We Be Worried About Speechless’s Early Exit?

Question: As announced via a commercial in this week’s episode, ABC is double-pumping Speechless next week for the entire 8/7c hour. That puts the 18th episode and season finale on March 21. On some level, I get that ABC needs the time slot available for midseason programming, but is that all that's going on here? Season 1 produced 23 episodes including the pilot, so this year's order was 5 fewer. Should we read anything into the shorter order or scheduling issues as far as the future of Speechless is concerned? I love the show and think there's more life in it, not only because it has become an important platform for disability issues on TV but also because it's really good. I know last year it was one of the last renewals due to ABC and 20h TV negotiations. Does the pending merger of Disney and the Fox studio make renewing this any easier?

Also, what is this Alex, Inc. that is taking the Speechless timeslot? Other than touting it as some sort of family sitcom starring Zach Braff, the ads so far haven't really done a very good job of explaining what the story is or why we should care about it. — Jake

Matt Roush: I’d advise against reading too much into such granular matters as episode orders. These are business decisions, not creative decisions, and this year seems to be all about inventory. Of all the broadcast networks, ABC is having the busiest midseason, with American Idol (four hours initially on Sundays and Mondays), Deception and For the People arriving within the next week, and the end of March is even more crowded, with Grey’s Anatomy spinoff Station 19 joining the “T.G.I.T.” lineup March 22, leading into the return of Roseanne and the launch of sitcom Splitting Up Together on Tuesdays and Alex Inc. on Wednesdays. Something had to give, and Fresh Off the Boat is in the same boat as Speechless, with only 19 episodes having aired when it wraps its season March 20.

You may be right that the pending merger of the Disney and 20th studios may be a boon for Speechless, but I don't really see it as being in any great danger anyway. With The Middle bowing out this year on a creative high, ABC’s family-comedy brand needs a show this distinctive. By comparison, I’ve watched the pilot of Alex Inc. and am just as puzzled as you. Zach Braff is, naturally, Alex, a likable family man who risks everything by starting up a podcast business. The premise and execution seemed pretty flimsy, but I’ll try to watch a few more before it premieres before passing judgment. But as a replacement for Speechless, definitely a step down.

Edited by GRChereck
update

The double-pump could be a test to see if Speechless can stand on its own - with The Goldbergs now ABC's top comedy, I wonder if that would move to 9PM and Modern Family would move to 9:30 next fall. American Housewife has fallen way off since last fall - probably due to 911 - but it's one of theirs so it will be renewed. Something could go to Friday if they restore the comedy hour there.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2018 at 8:07 PM, 71dude said:

The double-pump could be a test to see if Speechless can stand on its own - with The Goldbergs now ABC's top comedy, I wonder if that would move to 9PM and Modern Family would move to 9:30 next fall. American Housewife has fallen way off since last fall - probably due to 911 - but it's one of theirs so it will be renewed. Something could go to Friday if they restore the comedy hour there.

I hope it does OK, though it might take a hit this week due to Daylight Saving Time. (In s.1, DST hit between 1x17 "S-U-R--Surprise" and 1x18 "D-I--Ding," and the rating dropped from 1.5 to 1.3.) :\

Lack of promotion could hurt it, too; 'Black-ish' also has a double episode this week, and I've already been seeing it promoted a lot more (though I guess I could understand it getting the bigger push, as it's both coming back from a 4-week break -- the new ep it had scheduled for Feb. 27 ended up shelved for "creative differences" between ABC and the show's creator -- and facing competition from the 'This Is Us' s.2 finale).

The 'Speechless' episodes sound really good, according to this preview:

FanFest: Treat Yourself to a Double Dose of DiMeo on 3/14

The first one sounds fun, but I'm more excited for the second one -- with JJ's filmmaking, Jimmy's architecture background, revelations about his and Maya's past, and a rare Maya/Dylan pairing all coming into play (plus, I'm still curious to find out where Kenneth fits into it). :)

EDIT: Also, Minnie's comments from this Yahoo! piece about the musical fantasy-sequence cold-open from "One A-N--Angry M--Maya":

Driver herself is probably in need of some jury duty downtime, since the musical concept was conceived and executed at the last minute, she explained to Yahoo Entertainment. “The episode they were writing wasn’t working, and at a very late hour they cut the whole [thing],” she reveals. “It came — as a lot of great ideas do — at the 11th hour, and it just fit. It was very unexpected.”

Given Driver’s history as a musician — she’s a seasoned singer-songwriter who penned the majority of the tunes on her 2004 debut album — was she asked to contribute any lyrical ideas to the mix? “Oh God, no,” she asserts. “It was so tight.”

Driver was also kept quite busy quickly nailing the intricate choreography, for which there was virtually no rehearsal time. “I learned each section [of the performance] 10 minutes before we shot,” she says, admitting that although the scene looks flawless from a layman’s point of view, her professional eye honed in on some issues with the dancing after filming. “I love to dance, and I see problems. I wish I’d had more rehearsal, because I could have executed my turns better!”

And here, Scott Silveri goes into greater detail of how the sequence came about and how it was filmed:

THR: Why 'Speechless' is Doing a Musical Number -- About Jury Duty (Guest Column)

Micah shares pix from his UCPLA Trailblazer Award honor Sunday night:

Edited by GRChereck
updates

A lot hinges on Roseanne’s ratings but I feel like 2 of American Housewife, Speechless, FOTB, and Blackish will be moved to Friday with Shark Tank retaking Friday at 9 PM (possibly sans Cubin). If Roseanne is a hit I think AH moves back to Tuesday, if Roseanne is a flop I think AH and Speechless moves to Friday as a syndication farm hour. FOTB should get an announced shortened final season to fill in after a new comedy fails. I can also see an argument for Blackish and FOTB moved to Friday but then there could be pushback of moving the nonwhite shows to Friday. FWIW if AH goes with Roseanne my Friday pairing would be SL and FOTB.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2018 at 5:46 PM, Skyfall said:

A lot hinges on Roseanne’s ratings but I feel like 2 of American Housewife, Speechless, FOTB, and Blackish will be moved to Friday with Shark Tank retaking Friday at 9 PM (possibly sans Cubin). If Roseanne is a hit I think AH moves back to Tuesday, if Roseanne is a flop I think AH and Speechless moves to Friday as a syndication farm hour. FOTB should get an announced shortened final season to fill in after a new comedy fails. I can also see an argument for Blackish and FOTB moved to Friday but then there could be pushback of moving the nonwhite shows to Friday. FWIW if AH goes with Roseanne my Friday pairing would be SL and FOTB.

Good points. :) (I especially like that last bit, as SL and FOTB are still my faves after 'The Middle' -- so regardless of whatever else happens with the Tues. and Wed. lineups next season, in this case I would at least have my Friday shows. :D )

Ahead of Wednesday's season finale, here are some interviews:

EasterSeals (short Q&As with Kyla, John, Micah and Mason from throughout s.2)

OK Magazine (clip, 3:54) (from late Dec./early Jan. -- John talks about working with a certain 'Bachelor' alum, among other things)

The Daily Shuffle (Mason Q&A)

MyEntertainmentWorld (John Q&A)

ABC7 (clip, 2:40) (from March 14 -- Micah and John preview that night's double episode and next week's finale)

Assignment X (Cedric Q&A)

FanFest (Mason Q&A)

Edited by GRChereck
update
On 3/14/2018 at 10:32 PM, 71dude said:

That was a lovely piece! :) Sepinwall did a nice little follow-up with some thoughts on the finale (including an explanation of the closing dedication-card tribute to Silveri's brother):

https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/speechless-season-2-finale-recap-nominee-review-spoilers/

Also, Cerebral Palsy Foundation CEO Richard Ellenson had some sweet things to say about this past season:

https://themighty.com/2018/03/speechless-changing-attitudes-disability/

About the finale rating:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-wednesday-march-21-2018/ (Live estimate at 1.3)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/wednesday-final-ratings-march-21-2018/ (L+SD adjustment down to 1.2, but still tied with its s.1 finale)

Helluva rebound from last week -- and an awesome comeback for the Wed. lineup as a whole, especially considering ABC did virtually nothing to promote any of it in the past week (not even 'Designated Survivor,' that I can recall)! :D

22 hours ago, possibilities said:
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

And if it gets a 3rd season, it is all but guaranteed to get a 4th so it'll hit syndication numbers

Yay! :) And yeah, that would be fantastic (story-wise, hopefully, a s.4 would see Ray's high-school graduation and JJ's first year of college or film school).

A couple of nice interviews with JRB reflecting on this past season (including favorite episodes / moments, and that finale cliffhanger):

http://popculturedaily.guru/john-ross-bowie/

https://www.thewrap.com/speechless-john-ross-bowie-dimeos-house/ (includes clip -- 3:40)

Edited by GRChereck

I remember reading something somewhere about cancellation %s by season - and for comedies, season 3 had the lowest cancellation rate - in general, I think it is like 70% of shows get cancelled in their first season, a little less than that for the second season, then like 30% for the third season. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

I remember reading something somewhere about cancellation %s by season - and for comedies, season 3 had the lowest cancellation rate - in general, I think it is like 70% of shows get cancelled in their first season, a little less than that for the second season, then like 30% for the third season. 

How true and when most shows make it to 4th seasons and syndication, most shows then are on TV a few more years depending on how it does in syndication or the actors, producers, ect. However, once shows make it past 100 episodes, that's when it's anyone's game. Some shows have been pulled due to creative differences, networks getting bored or change of leadership. Some shows never seem to end because they are getting cash grabs or the heads of studios love the shows so much, they don't ever want them to leave. Being once part of it, it can change on a dime. With the talk about the cliffhanger and everything, I really do hope the show gets a 3rd seasons. Despite the wrap ups of many things, there was too much left open from the house eviction to JJ finally graduating high school. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

Usually if a show has had full first and second seasons and it gets a full third season it’s getting a fourth full one. The only time the third season doesn’t guarantee a renewal is if it’ll end the show with less than 58 episodes. We still at 41 episodes of what would usually be 44. Since ABC likes it increase orders in the fall for the comedies that can easily get Speechless back on the 88 episode path. ABC also likes to over order on comedies so some shows gets the order and scheduling shaft while shows like Quintco keeps getting renewed with low ratings.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

We still at 41 episodes of what would usually be 44. Since ABC likes it increase orders in the fall for the comedies that can easily get Speechless back on the 88 episode path.

Yup -- it would need at least another 23-episode season and a full 24 to reach 88 eps without going into a 5th season. :) (FOTB, by contrast, started out as a mid-season show with 13 eps, and thus would definitely have to take another half-season -- at least 9 eps -- to get to 88.)