Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The First Day

• Start Topic

I'm still hoping they'll borrow a page from Madam Secretary and have the delinqent older brother straighten up and fly right (or, prferably, at least a little left of center). But drug dealing is worse than taking a semester off from college.

Kirkman has the character thing nailed down, apparently. No skeletons in his closet. 

I loved the story he made up about the undercover terrorists to get the rogue governor to release everyone. 

What's-her-name, alt-designated survivor could make a Secretary of State if not Speaker of the House. VPs don't seem to do much, but in this scenario it would likely be different. I just hope if she puts the romantic moves on Keefer's character that he shuts it down pronto. 

I'd like to see Kal Penn's character become Chief of Staff instead of the pretty white boy. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bobbin said:

First Son is a little old not to grasp the magnitude of what's happened and his family's members' new responsibilities. But he is still young enough for a typical adolescent lapse in judgment. Besides, consider how many parents have left children alone in the tub or in the car for "just a minute".

I don't even think it's a lapse of judgment. I get that he was told to watch his sister, but all he did was leave the room for a few minutes to take a phone call. She's 9, isn't she? Not 2? She should be okay to be in a room by herself for a couple of minutes. Yes, she saw something extraordinarily scary on TV, but no one could predict that. If it was predictable, Kirkman wouldn't have gone into the crowd in the first place.

We've seen that he's a sullen teen who makes crappy life choices but I don't think this should count against him.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I don't even think it's a lapse of judgment. I get that he was told to watch his sister, but all he did was leave the room for a few minutes to take a phone call. She's 9, isn't she? Not 2? She should be okay to be in a room by herself for a couple of minutes. Yes, she saw something extraordinarily scary on TV, but no one could predict that. If it was predictable, Kirkman wouldn't have gone into the crowd in the first place.

We've seen that he's a sullen teen who makes crappy life choices but I don't think this should count against him.

I would think that in this age with screen in every hand, like we saw at ground zero while everyone found their phone more interesting then following President Kirkman do his W. Bush act being embargoed and no TV would be more scary than seeing this is why we moved in the middle of the night 

10 hours ago, oakville said:

The show is filmed in Toronto. I noticed that when the motorcade was driving up to see the Capitol, it was actually University Avenue. They photo shopped the US Capitol onto the Ontario legislature building.

I had no idea the show was shot in Toronto until you mentioned it, but I definitely noticed a Canadian accent on the FBI agent who was taking apart the unexploded bomb and explaining it to Hannah.

7 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Maggie Q and Kiefer were in the same scene! I hope she'll  be brought into the main fold soon. I want her to be Kirkman's Jack Bauer since I heard she was on the show.

I noticed he didn't really seem to look at her, but the way she looked at him made me wonder if they have some previous connection/relationship.  Or I guess it could've just been her looking concerned about what her supervisor was going to tell him re: her theory.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I'd like to see Kal Penn's character become Chief of Staff instead of the pretty white boy. 

Same here.  When Tom asked him to stay behind, I thought he was going to offer it to him.  I hope he does at some point.

I really liked last night's episode, and I loved the addition of Virginia Madsen's character.  But man, I really, really wish we could recast the wife.  That actress takes me out of every scene she's in.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Glaze Crazy said:

Glad to see President Kirkman is not quite the weak pushover that some seem to see him as, but is instead trying to keep a level head and demanding better information before moving towards retaliation. LOL at his reaction to the two legal advisors and their completely different advice about the MI governor. Sad to see that Wikipedia wasn't able to help him out with his presidential legal options either.

I liked Aaron's smirk of pride when Kirkman admitted he bluffed. He was like 'My new President has balls and knows how to bluff. Love.you.'

Problem is Aaron's already out of the running for COS for even entertaining the General's plan of coup and not immediately reporting it to Kirkman. Heck, the fact the General approached Aaron means he's a weakness in Kirkman's inner circle and he should be dismissed. The only thing that could save him to be kept on is the fact that no more big changes should be publicly made, his experience as the late President's COS and knowledge of the White House protocol, etc., and if he's really good at tap dancing and can convince Kirkman that he didn't tell him because he already had enough on his plate without worrying about a coup and that he was trying to keep close to the General to keep him in check and/or be able to know if the General did get enough support to make a strike at Kirkman. That may save him from outright dismissal but I can already see a verbal castration from Kirkman to Aaron where he's demoted in actual responsibility and is a consultant to the actual COS (Seth or perhaps the First Lady although I can see her assigned to SCOTUS in a very unconstitutional twist).

Aaron does have some good points. He's abrasive and political animal but he did warn Kirkman that the Oval Office was going to be crazy, he tried working with Kirkland's HUD COS and is trying to keep the General at bay. He'll make a huge blunder that Kirkman will call him out for and will seemingly send him in the General's direction but I think he'll ultimately fall to Kirkman. I mean a guy who is intent on making sure that Social Security checks keep going out can't be all bad.

As a TV critic tweeted last night, First Son needs to be repeatedly punched in the nads.

As another TV critic tweeted, Maggie Q is hopefully being set up as Kirkman's Jack Bauer.

Loved Kirkman finally getting a Jack Bauer-eque 'Damn it!' 

And I oddly love that Kirkman's 'Mrs. Landingham' is a very young man named Wyatt. Hope his role grows as he learns to take care of The President.

• Love 3

Liked the episode, but am unsure why Kiefer couldn't just order the National Guard to arrest that governor for treason or something.  Or at least just send the guard in to take over security from the totally out of control cops.  And hey, Michigan governor, way to make people who aren't terrorists into future terrorists.  Kiefer should have reminded him that the Muslim population of Michigan are "his citizens" too. Harrumph.

I don't see the designated Republican becoming VP--isn't she a different party?  Bomb attack or no, that would make a difference. And I call foul on her being the only surviving member of Congress (outside of mystery guy pulled from the rubble).  State of the Union or not, there would have been at least a few people stuck in traffic, sick, or dealing with a family emergency at home.  Not that 5 members are much better than one...

Agree that First Son is deeply annoying and will soon be caught dealing by the Secret Service.

No way that the Secret Service would allow PresKiefer to go back to the bomb site that night with ONLY ONE AGENT to protect him.  A ballcap isn't that great of a disguise, though probably no one in the country, speech or no, probably could pick him out of a crowd right now.

Hoping to see more scenes with the support staff.  Kal Pen has always been a favorite of mine, so I'm glad that they are focusing on his character.

Next week, they really need to focus on the work of getting Congress reconstituted, as there is only so much he can get done otherwise, without declaring martial law.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

I just can't get past the glasses....I get why they wanted him to wear them but the ones they chose just make him look like a creepy, would be serial killer....like he should be playing an unsub on Criminal Minds....

Oddly enough, they feel 50's/60's-ish to me, which makes me think of Kennedy and political historical dramas. What drives me nuts about the glasses is that they're on and off and on and off - I hate when actors think glasses are a prop and not a functional tool. Either he's far-sighted and they keep making him half-blind by taking them off, or he's near-sighted and needs them for reading and wears them way too much when he's not. Stop using them to be dramatic and/or make him sound like bad eyesight makes him ineligible for the Presidency. MOST people wear glasses or contacts, ffs. (75%, according to Google) I doubt America is going to collapse because the new President wears glasses.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
Edit: Strike that, reverse it. I've been wearing glasses since I was nine and I mixed up far-sighted and near. *sigh* Maybe because I've recently gotten old enough to need reading glasses. :)
  • Love 9

I'm liking this so far. The cast seems pretty good. I'm suspicious of the congresswoman who survived and I'm also hoping that the president fairly quickly catches on to the army guy's wanting to be in power. The only things that bugged me were the son's hair and the fur-lined hooded jacket. 

ABC doesn't have a good track record of keeping new shows that I like, so I'm hopeful that this won't get cancelled anytime in the near future. 

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

It bugged me that he was told to watch her in the first place. Ok, a lot of people died, but there's not a single staffer or Secret Service agent who can keep an eye on the First Kid when the President and First Lady are out on official business?  If First Teenager had been doing something else, would the President have had to find some local teenager somewhere to babysit and then stayed home if he couldn't find said teenager? And the kid was just supposed to sit there hugging her stuffed animal while her brother sat there and stared at her?  Get the kid some toys or books, put on a video or some children's programming or something - and have a responsible adult supervise her, for God's sake. 

• Love 8

I'd really like for them to not go down the cliche route with Virginia Madsen's character and have her be a solid, good adversary to Kirkman instead of a total rival and shark who's looking for his job. I'd love for her to be supportive of him but can also step up and raise questions to him that others wouldn't be able to. Maybe provide a fresh perspective on a matter. That would be nice. Yet, I suspect she'll be someone who is gunning for Presidency and it'll turn all cliche and she'll have to be killed or put down at the end of the season. 

I'm not in love with this show yet, but I'm sticking around, so there's that. 

Seth being stopped by police was by far the saddest scene, because it's just so accurate. But the ending with him being afraid for the police officer at the memorial, only to have him be kind to Seth was very surprising and nice. 

First Son can go at any time. So can First Daughter, because I'm not here for the kids. Just keep them in the background. Can't we have one teenage kid on television that's not all broody, depressed, rebellious, or performing illegal activities? Although I don't get why it's on First Son to take care of First Daughter. They do have plenty of help now that they're living in the White House, yes? Sure, they're siblings, but him leaving the room to take a phone call is not the worst reason ever. It's not like he went to deal drugs. I mean, I'm sure the phone call was about drug dealing, but they don't know that yet. Plus, she can't avoid the television forever. 

I'm pretty sure there were many ways Kirkman could have handled Idiot Governor. I'm glad he finally did, though. 

I'm liking Aaron a bit more now, even if he is in cahoots with General Gibbs. 

I want to like Hannah because it's Maggie Q, but her character is just so boring and all I can see in her future is her sobbing when she finds out her lover/boyfriend/whatever who's missing is probably a bad guy. There's just no spark to her character yet. Come on, show! Give her some badass moments! 

• Love 3

I'd like to see Kal Penn's character become Chief Of Staff instead of the pretty white boy.

The actor who plays Aaron, Adan Canto, is Latino, not White. 

Delurking with more love for this episode and especially Kiefer Sutherland, who's incredible. His President Kirkman is pitch-perfect because of his imperfections, not despite them, because he owns his fears & mistakes and is trying his hardest to improve, for the nation's & the free world's sake as well as his own. However, the Governor of Michigan is a borderline facsist bully who not only gets off on his own power, innocent people have been persecuted, hurt-and in one case, killed-because of it. As far as I'm concerned, that boy's blood is on the Governor's hands. When Mrs. Kirkman suggested a political solution for dealing with the Governor, I was hoping that Kirkman would say something like: "OK, Governor, if you want to turn Michigan into your own banana republic, martial law and all, that's fine, because if anymore innocent people, especially Muslims, die on your watch, then during the next election, if there is one, not only will I fully support your opponent,  once I get Congress and the Supreme Court back on track, I'll try my damnedest to have you impeached. BTW, since I'm the President, you will treat me and this office with the respect that both deserve whether you like it or not, so you better get with the program or call me President John Deere, because your ass will be grass. " 

Kal Penn is great as Seth Wright. In this episode, Penn was both funny and heartbreaking, sometimes in the same scene, like when he was profiled. Carrying a backpack to the Capital after a terrorist attack wasn't Seth's smartest move, but something tells me that chances are the cops wouldn't have treated him that way if he was White. 

I hate Leo. He's long on hair, short on brains.

The sooner General Snidely Whiplash dies, the better. 

I heart Maggie Q. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Reminder: This is fiction, with a large helping of dramatic license. In reality, the DS is almost always a cabinet secretary or the VP. In a few instances, the DS has been an elected representative, even though not in the statutary order of succession. And along with providing for a DS, there are procedures in place for carrying on the nation's business. Everything would not devolve into chaos. That does not rule out the existence of opportunists in the wings, foreign and domestic, eager to seize power -- or merely to make a statement.

The VP is never the DS at the State of the Union. He/she always sits behind the President, along with the Speaker of the House. Technically, the VP is the leader of the Senate (brought in to break ties). 

Just for fun, I goggled the most recent designated survivors from the past SOTUs.

2016 - Sec of Homeland Security

2015 - Sec of Transportation

2014 - Sec of Energy

2013 - Sec of Energy

2012 - Sec of Agriculture

Looks like they have a designated survivor for the presidential inauguration too. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Oddly enough, they feel 50's/60's-ish to me, which makes me think of Kennedy and political historical dramas. What drives me nuts about the glasses is that they're on and off and on and off - I hate when actors think glasses are a prop and not a functional tool. Either he's far-sighted and they keep making him half-blind by taking them off, or he's near-sighted and needs them for reading and wears them way too much when he's not. Stop using them to be dramatic and/or make him sound like bad eyesight makes him ineligible for the Presidency. MOST people wear glasses or contacts, ffs. (75%, according to Google) I doubt America is going to collapse because the new President wears glasses.

Common correction:
Nearsighted means you can see near (read without glasses, do fine detailed crafts, etc.).
Farsighted means you can see far (pilot a plane without glasses, sail a ship without glasses, etc.).

Post-cataract surgery I still have a little astigmatism in the farsighted area, so legally I can drive without glasses, but wear them in situations where I need to see faces coming my way or going by, and I do wear them when driving because why not see better? Watching TV I sometimes where them. 
So I'm guessing he  has astigmatism, and, maybe like me and many others, dry eye syndrome that is made worse by contacs (would have to put drops in constantly—not very presidential).
The  Prez just needs some rimless glasses with no glare lenses.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Common correction:
Nearsighted means you can see near (read without glasses, do fine detailed crafts, etc.).
Farsighted means you can see far (pilot a plane without glasses, sail a ship without glasses, etc.).

Post-cataract surgery I still have a little astigmatism in the farsighted area, so legally I can drive without glasses, but wear them in situations where I need to see faces coming my way or going by, and I do wear them when driving because why not see better? Watching TV I sometimes where them. 
So I'm guessing he  has astigmatism, and, maybe like me and many others, dry eye syndrome that is made worse by contacs (would have to put drops in constantly—not very presidential).
The  Prez just needs some rimless glasses with no glare lenses.

I'm nearsighted and have glasses for driving and other times when I need to see distances, I have computer glasses because my monitor is closer than my distance lenses correct for and too far away for regular close-up vision, and then I take them off for everything else. I don't need them to read or watch TV or just hanging out at the house. But if I'm out in town my glasses are off and on all the time as I move from distance to something close-up, or from walking to sitting down at a restaurant. I can't wear contacts either due to dry eyes.

I kind of like his nerdy lenses and wish he was comfortable enough with himself to to just own them. But then he's entirely out of his element and the glasses are one way of showing that.

• Love 3

He's been President for 24 hours.   He's still listenting to people who tell him what is presidential and what is not.   Once he settles in, he'll go, "Hey I wear glasses, deal with it.   We got bigger things to worry about."   He's getting there.   Like when he bluffed the Governor.   Seriously Asshole, you;re the Governor of MICHIGAN.   (native Michigander here so relax).   Fix Detroit first, then tell the President how to do his job.   Until then, STFU.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Can I just say this is my new favourite show? What a spectacle this is.

(I hope I'm not going to get burned for saying that)

There was...a lot happening. There was President Kirkman doing his best to deal with things in a normal way but...nothing is normal. Yes, quite a few of the things seemed a little far-fetched (the guy with the gun at Kirkman's first visit to the Capitol), but I think it overall captured the chaos of Day One and the "new reality" quite well.

I'll also say Kiefer Sutherland again knocked it out of the park with the balance of "fish out of the water" and "assertive badass" in Kirkman's character. I'm also liking that Kirkman's a calculating guy and refused to name Al-Sakar (a fictitious branch of Al-Qaeda) as the perpetrator, standing up to his trigger-happy General. I also felt for Hannah Wells when Deputy Director Atwood omitted her theory in his briefing to Kirkman, even though his reasoning was solid.

What I think I will dwell on here is Kimble Hookstraten and what I hope her role will be on the show. It was apparent to me right away that the producers wanted "a rival" and someone who is Kirkman's opposite, and that is a polished, ruthless politician, and Virgina Madsen parlayed that well. I've got no problem with Hookstraten being Kirkman's rival, but I am hoping, beyond hope, that it becomes the kind of relationship that eventually develops into one where they both each other's counterweight. Perhaps it's a bit of wish fulfillment, but at least I'd like to see on TV that two political rivals, while having extreme differences, can still work together. It's a lesson far too many of today's real politicians desperately need to learn.

Not to say that Kirkman and Hookstraten being adversaries couldn't work...it could, but it's a bit of a cliche to go to that well and I kind of doubt that ABC would do something really crazy with their star's character, at least this early, so it's a bit of false drama.

Oh...and while we're at it...no love triangle. That's just hokey.

Lastly, I'm liking that Kirkman and Seth Wright seem to be starting some kind of "father-son" kind of bond, and while I think racial profiling is a bit of a tired storyline when it comes to Wright, it was appropriate, given the circumstances and I'm glad that the show wants to give support characters like Wright their own storylines this early in the show.

Episode Grade: A+. What can I say other than, "it worked?" I'm hooked. 

I agree totally about a good relationship between President and Virginia Madison.  And absolutely no sexual tension or affair required.  Let us not go with the obvious.  Like most of the cast, want to see Michigan gov around to.  Great actor.  Loved him in The Mentalist.  And Seth is a great favorite of mine.  I'm in!!!!

Who will be the CoS? Aaron has more experience and contacts than Emily, but Emily is a family friend. 

I really like Aaron (he is Mexican Trump!)

he is hot and like I said they look good together ;) I hope whoever will be the CoS, the other one will be the deputy.

• Love 4

I was a little stunned that they were dissecting the bomb in the same room they were using as a morgue. First of all, shouldn't that be done in a clean-ish room for evidence gathering purposes? And away from other evidence? The thing may still be a dud, but it could still explode (it is the faulty triggering mechanism that made it the dud).  Not only did it seem disrespectful to those bodies, but those bodies are evidence (where they were found and how they were damaged will provide clues as to where the bombs were placed).

I agree the teenage son is a bit of a jerk, but he too is experiencing major upheaval. While wrapping their daughter in cotton and worrying constantly about her mental health, they couldn't be more obvious about not caring one wit about finding out what he is going through. They don't know he's a drug dealer - any teen suddenly severed from his friends, moving and having his parents have to wear flak jackets probably needs some re-assurance too. Kirkman is all mopey and needing hugs - how about a hug for the teen?

• Love 7

After this episode I'm convinced it will be homegrown terrorism a la Timothy McVeigh and not Al Qaeda/Al Sakar. That way they can show the general and the governor as being wrong and Kirkman being right in not acting rashly. Also, logistically it makes more sense for white american citizens to be able to place the bombs than some foreign terrorist group. 

I do really like Kal Penn's character and I found myself hoping he becomes Chief of Staff. I hope the congresswoman can put politics aside to help rebuild the government. After a new Congress, Cabinet, and SCOTUS are in place then bring politics back into but until then it would just make characters seem heartless (which may be the point the show will make).

Part of me wonders if this show would have worked better as a flashbacks. If it started with Kirkman's first State of the Union after being elected President and then we had flashbacks showing how it all came to be.

• Love 3

I like Seth as well but I'm going the other way and hoping he gets bumped to Communications. He's already a speechwriter so make him the Toby or Sam who of Kirkman's senior staff. He's already acting as a low key advisor so pair that with his writing skills and we have another important  voice in the Oval. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, fireice13 said:

After this episode I'm convinced it will be homegrown terrorism a la Timothy McVeigh and not Al Qaeda/Al Sakar. That way they can show the general and the governor as being wrong and Kirkman being right in not acting rashly. Also, logistically it makes more sense for white american citizens to be able to place the bombs than some foreign terrorist group. 

I

I assumed from the beginning that it would not be a Middle Eastern terrorist group, but rather some conspiracy amongst some shady high-powered types, a la that group X-files or from within the U.S. government. That lends itself to better drama, and years of potential episodes.

Edited by candle96
  • Love 3

As much as I'm hoping that Congresswoman and Kirkman become a team, just based on the preview for next week, she looks like she may be a rival. But then again, it could be a red herring or the editing monkeys at work.

I don't understand this extreme overprotectiveness with First Daughter (Hah! Love that title, I'm so stealing it!), especially since I remember from 9/11, how the news shows brought on psychiatrists, as to how to explain to the young kids what had happened. She's not 3 or 4, where she wouldn't totally not understand. 

Unless there's something Special Needs about her, the way First Lady pointed her finger at First Son and told him to "keep an eye on her" and "away from the television!"

ETA: Add me to the list who thinks this is homegrown. General Eile is so convinced it was Al-Sakar, yet no one has asked HOW they would have gotten the bombs in, since the is an off-shoot of Al-Qaeda, and not that well known?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

This episode made it obvious I would never have the patience  or diplomacy to be President. I wanted Keifer to hop on Air Force One and go arrest or at least smack down that Michigan Governor.

I hope they give Maggie Q. more to do soon, love her. Also hope they continue to show Kal Penn's character. I was heart broken when Kutner died on "House", even though it was his choice. 

• Love 3

Another example of the show's hokiness is Seth murmuring at the bomb site that he lost everyone. Was he being literal? White House staffers are mostly intact, and those are who he'd primarily have been interacting with in his job. Was he speaking figuratively, expressing the entire country's loss? If so, that there is pure cheese.

That only one person survived the bomb blast is not believable -- there would have been many casualties widening out from the epicenter -- but I am curious who's going to be pulled from the rubble. I'm hoping for a C-SPAN camera operator. But miracle of miracles, my guess is Agent Whosit's lover.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kili said:

I agree the teenage son is a bit of a jerk, but he too is experiencing major upheaval. While wrapping their daughter in cotton and worrying constantly about her mental health, they couldn't be more obvious about not caring one wit about finding out what he is going through. They don't know he's a drug dealer - any teen suddenly severed from his friends, moving and having his parents have to wear flak jackets probably needs some re-assurance too. Kirkman is all mopey and needing hugs - how about a hug for the teen?

I agree - the son needs to grow up, yes, but they're really coddling the daughter, who needs to grow up too. She's what, ten? The actress, is ten, anyways. I was that age on 9/11. It's old enough to begin to understand what's going on, and she's going to have questions and they can't keep sugar-coating everything, isolating her from the world. Sure, maybe not such a good idea for her to spend hours watching the news, unfortunate and scary that she saw her father nearly get trampled at ground zero, but their job is to help her deal with this, not pretend none of it is happening.

IMO, they're paying far too little attention to preserving normality and supporting their son, and far too much attention to doing that for their daughter. I think this irritates me so much because it makes that entire storyline unwatchable. The one saving grace is that the son didn't leave to go do or deal drugs. FFS, it's not unreasonable to go take a phone call.

I saw a million previews this past week with Kirkman being interviewed by someone saying something along the lines of "is it true you were fired, and if so, can you understand why some might say that you have no right to be president?", but I didn't see that at all in the episode. I wonder if it will be saved for a later episode, or just cut out entirely. I could do without that drama.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I saw a million previews this past week with Kirkman being interviewed by someone saying something along the lines of "is it true you were fired, and if so, can you understand why some might say that you have no right to be president?", but I didn't see that at all in the episode. I wonder if it will be saved for a later episode, or just cut out entirely. I could do without that drama.

@secnarf, that's ABC's real life Elizabeth Vargas, and that "interview" will be on next week.

3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I saw a million previews this past week with Kirkman being interviewed by someone saying something along the lines of "is it true you were fired, and if so, can you understand why some might say that you have no right to be president?", but I didn't see that at all in the episode. I wonder if it will be saved for a later episode,

Next week. Elizabeth Vargas gets the 'privilege' of asking that question.

14 hours ago, madhacker said:

what's creeping me out is the thought that this was a domestic attack.  In other words this was planned by our own people....isn't that a pleasant thought?

I'm thinking along those lines too.

14 hours ago, henripootel said:

Further calling it - he's in on it, and wasn't actually in the blast.  About 7 episodes from now, Agent Nikita will find a picture of him standing around somewhere else at the time the bomb went off.  It was all just a coup, but I'm not yet sure if the Obvious General Who's In On It actually was.  That'd just be too obvious.  I think.

For a show I'm trying hard to like, they're not making it easy.  Why is Kirkman not living in a bunker somewhere?  I know they want shots of him looking lonely around the West Wing set but it makes no sense.  Is there any chance at all that the SS would let any sitting president anywhere near the still-smoking site of a terrorist attack?  To say nothing of one without a clear line of succession, and for what?  A pep talk? 

And why is Kirkman not on the phone 24-7 fielding calls from every head of state in the world, assuring them that America does indeed have a president?  And why did he not include a bit in his first address about not getting mad at your Muslim neighbors, that they're Americans too?  Bush did that right after 9-11 - it was one of the few times I was proud of him.

Everything seems too writer's room here.  Kal Penn is dark skinned so of course he's singled out for a tense encounter with beat cops.  The son is a teenager so of course he's neglecting his duties to look after his sister and being an asshole.  The kid who got beat to death is suddenly super important to the Pres because his wife tells him 'he's the same age as your asshole son'.  Agent Nikita's whole job seems to be hanging around the bomb site like a harbinger of suspicion, so no way she's gonna turn out to be absolutely right and end up being President Jack Bauer's personal Jack Bauer, right?

But if all these things you name above didn't happen (i.e., Kal Penn being dark skinned and questioned) there wouldn't be a show and we wouldn't all be gathered here, would we?  As mentioned above more than once, more than twice ..... it's draaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaa ..... and I like it.

• Love 1

Is there any chance at all that the SS would let any sitting president anywhere near the still-smoking site of a terrorist attack?

President Bush visited Ground Zero. Granted it was 3 days later, not the very next day as shown here, but Ground Zero was definitely still smoking.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I found it interesting that the city of Dearborn, MI was portrayed as the ground zero of the Michigan unrest on the show. For those who may not know, Dearborn has been portrayed in real life (by the more lunkheaded in our society) as an American city that has fallen under Sharia Law. This is of course a complete falsehood. But the meatheads have decided that since the city does in fact have a large Muslim population, they can go ahead and spread that nonsense.

I've got to think someone on the writing staff was trying to make a point, though I wonder how many people got it.

• Love 2

I didn't like the visual of POTUS climbing up on the rubble to make his speech.  Just as when it happened in real life at Ground Zero with GWB, all I could think was that there were bodies in there and I found it really disrespectful.  And if there is any chance that people are alive in that rubble, don't stop work to give some half-assed speech about finding who is responsible and thanking the first responders for their service.  If I had a family member in there, I'd be screaming at them to keep looking. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, slasherboy said:

As mentioned above more than once, more than twice ..... it's draaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaa ..... and I like it.

More like a 'melodrama', and I'm on the fence.  I don't think a bit of originality is too much to ask for.  If they go true to form, there's gonna be a mole, Agent Nikita is gonna totally be right, and she's gonna somehow hook up with Kirkman's ex-chief of staff to get the word to Kirkman, just in time, that the whole thing was a setup.  I'm really hoping I'm wrong about all this but so far they're mostly xeroxing pages from the big book of clichés.

• Love 3

I have lots more to say but until I can organize my thoughts I'll just suggest this:

In TWW we learned* the Secret Service appointed to the First Children don't report the activities the First Children are doing. It's to maintain trust between the Secret Service and First Children. It's highly possible the Secret Service (because I just can't bring myself to post SS) will not rat out Leo.

*Because everything I learned about the inner-workings of The White House I learned from TWW. Therefore it's completely true. *g*

• Love 11

I found this to be a mediocre episode.  Still interested, but lacks a certain 'wow' factor that.  The governor refusing the presidents authority was interesting, but a pretty predictable and clichéd story on how he does it and what happens. 

I am sure the other 'designate survivor' is scheming somehow behind the scenes.  Its really a power void and Washington, too many power hungry egos with big dreams who see the traumatic event as a huge opportunity with a completely weak president for there not to be a whole bunch of people crawling out of the woodwork to angle themselves into bigger posts. 

A bit unrealistic to keep the daughter in the dark about everything that has happened.  Unless she is completely stupid, she is going to start asking questions and knows something pretty big had to happen for her dad to be president.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I'd have called Ft. Bragg and had Michael Gaston standing at attention in the Oval Office in quick time.

I was thinking the same thing.  Send Marine One to pick him up (and send some available journalists along to record it) and then chew out his ass, much the same way Kennedy did to Wallace.  And I'd basically dare him to repeat himself to the press about being his own little "king" (paraphrase) of Michigan.  But I'm not a politician.  Just someone whose tolerance for BS is extremely low.  (Also, I'm Canadian so I have no idea about the finer points of US constitutional law.  We have the War Measures Act, which means that the lead boot can kick some ass up here, should the need arise; whether or not you guys have something similar is something I don't know.)

18 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Another solid ep, but MAN the kids are annoying. I sort of get what they're trying to do with the Family Drama Time, but it just brings the show to a screeching halt

I am so sick and tired of the Troubled Teenager that is foisted upon we, the viewing audience, in just about every drama on television.  Hasn't anyone ever bothered to tell the writers that these characters are boring and off-putting?  Personally, all I want to see of the poor misunderstood spoiled brat is their backside as mom or dad hauls them off into the woodshed for a little old-fashioned non-Spockian discipline.  And if that makes me non-PC, so be it.  I firmly subscribe to the adage that these pestiferous yobs should most definitely be seen (very seldom) and never heard.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

That girl does not act like she's ten. 

Maybe it's all the babying her parents do. And what they let her get away with. That whole thing in the beginning when they were negotiating with her about bedtime is the kind of parenting I hate in TV shows. Tell the damn child to get off the phone and go to bed or there will be consequences when they get home. 

Unless she's mentally challenged, she has to understand that Mom standing right in front of her telling her brother not to let her watch the news means "don't immediately turn on the TV to the news the second brother steps away". She acts more like six or seven and seems totally oblivious. Ten is fourth grade. She should at least have her almost-a-big-girl panties on.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Can't we have one teenage kid on television that's not all broody, depressed, rebellious, or performing illegal activities? Although I don't get why it's on First Son to take care of First Daughter. They do have plenty of help now that they're living in the White House, yes? Sure, they're siblings, but him leaving the room to take a phone call is not the worst reason ever. It's not like he went to deal drugs. I mean, I'm sure the phone call was about drug dealing, but they don't know that yet. Plus, she can't avoid the television 

Because having a mature teenager would be boring and unrealistic to writers. Anything to add the drama. 

The room was also big. I don't understand why Leo couldn't turn the TV to some cartoon channel for his sister to watch, keep the remote and go to the other end of the room for his phone call. That said, the Mom should have talked to her daughter on what's going on. 

I agree with everyone preferring the Congresswoman to actually work with Kirkman and not capitalize on this disaster for her own political goals but I doubt it. 

The idiot at the Capitol approaching with the phone reminded me of the idiot that shut down the Atlanta airport two months after 9/11. A man buypass a security checkpoint  at the airport trying to make a flight for a football game. His idiocy shut down the airport for hours, forced cancellation and delay of flights all over the East Coast and caused traffic hell around the airport. 

• Love 2

I'm wondering how in the world a cop calling the WH to confirm Seth's employment came to the president's attention.  I'm pretty sure in normal circumstances POTUS wouldn't be told because it isn't important.  In the post terrorist attack craziness of the show, hell no.  There are way more pressing things going on.  Tje president is kinda busy.  He wouldn't be able to wander around morosely or sit in a room alone, either.  I know it was for drama sake and I like the relationship between Kirkman and Seth but this just bugged me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

In TWW we learned* the Secret Service appointed to the First Children don't report the activities the First Children are doing. It's to maintain trust between the Secret Service and First Children. It's highly possible the Secret Service (because I just can't bring myself to post SS) will not rat out Leo.

*Because everything I learned about the inner-workings of The White House I learned from TWW. Therefore it's completely true. *g*

I learned at the same place you did, and while I imagine that would normally be the case, I suspect if they are involved in something illegal, like dealing drugs, I don't think the Secret Service would let it go.

• Love 2