Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Light In Darkness

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Season 3 picks up with Hakeem left at the altar, Lucious and Anika newly married, and someone falling off a roof during a fight. In other storylines, Lucious wants to make his streaming service a huge success, but his half-brother Tariq becomes a distraction as he leads a federal task force investigating him.

Another season of "what emoji I will need to save from Twitter that are due to this show?" Tonight?  It's a cookie wearing a crown.  

Busy night in the Doubleday household: Portia has the finale of Mr Robot, Kaitlin will probably meet her maker tonight here (which is too bad since I like Rhonda.) 

I am so happy that my show is back. Nooooooooooooooo, Rhonda! So damn unfair. I grew to love her. I was so hoping that it would be Anika I know it is horrible, but I wanted Andre to throw Anika over the balcony. I thought he was going to strangle her to death, her water breaking probably saved her. Anika better watch out though, Lucious mama crazy as hell. Now Andre is losing his mind.

I was disappointed in the Lyon dinner with Tarek. It was pretty tame; no food was thrown, no one was betrayed or crushed. At least, Tarek is spying on him to up the drama.

Got to give the show credit for consistency, Lucious is evil as ever. Stay away from him, Cookie! I didn’t like his flowered shirt and white pants.

Hakeem jumping into his “just married” car was hysterical. I was confused about his drama, but that is Hakeem.

I cannot believe that Jamal is back in Lucious’ pocket. It was too soon for him to perform. Is he going to become a drug addict? I like the woman who sang in his place.

• Love 5

Did they pick up the baby from the same place they got the one from American Sniper (as in, clearly fake and didn't bother to hide it?) Good lord. 

I'm not sure what to think of this one.  I will miss Rhonda but like last season's premiere, it was pretty disjointed.  

At I got to hear "Just A Friend."

• Love 2
Just now, mtlchick said:

Did they pick up the baby from the same place they got the one from American Sniper (as in, clearly fake and didn't bother to hide it?) Good lord. 

I'm not sure what to think of this one.  I will miss Rhonda but like last season's premiere, it was pretty disjointed.  

At I got to hear "Just A Friend."

I know, it was really obviously a doll, especially when they were holding it. At least it was the right size though. It's a pet peeve of mine when shows try to pass off a four-month-old as a newborn.

Damn, Rhonda doesn't even get a funeral? At least she got a ghost scene. Kaitlin Doubleday just got married but now she's out of a job.

Terrence's/Lucious's conk has GOT to go. As does Cookie's Elmo coat. Actually, I didn't like anything she wore. I'm still mad at her - Lucious abuses her children but she only gets in her feelings when he marries someone else.

Nanny cam in the bear! Yes!

Jamal is headed for PTSD and pain pill addiction. Andre is going to have another breakdown. I guess Hakeem's story is him trying to get joint custody of his daughter - can't he order a paternity test? 

I'm confused about the marriage being "fake." If it's legal, isn't it legit and spousal privilege would apply? It doesn't make it illegal just because they don't love each other. People marry people they don't love all the time.

• Love 3

Wait, Anika was in her third trimester? I didn't think she was so far along that she could give birth yet without it being a major ordeal for the baby.

I hope Ghost Rhonda sticks around for a while!

Jamal too scared to perform yet the show still works in the weekly Jussie Musical Showcase... I did like the song, at least.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Wait, Anika was in her third trimester? I didn't think she was so far along that she could give birth yet without it being a major ordeal for the baby

I hope Ghost Rhonda sticks around for a while!

Jamal too scared to perform yet the show still works in the weekly Jussie Musical Showcase...

That's the same thing that I said! 6 weeks premature my foot! 

Welcome back Empire! I can't believe that last time this show was on, I was pregnant or had just had my baby. Now he's 6 months. My favorite shows take to long of a break. 

I loved the one liners. 

Beans, Vienna sausage and rented furniture. 

You're trying to poison me! 

I didn't abandon you, God did. 

Do you want a to go plate? 

Are you going to keep playing second fiddle to this mulatto bitch? 

I think that's what made Cookie realize that she was at her limit. 

• Love 7

Death. Taxes. Lucious being a shit. Some things are constant. 

Cookie seems thoroughly fed up with Lucious. Good. That's the only rational and appropriate reaction to him.

RIP, Rhonda. Why didn't she at least get a funeral.

I am guessing that Andre will be adrift for a while because he's lost his baby and his wife in short order. Poor thing.

Of course Hakeem went looking for Tiana after his wedding went South. Oh, Hakeem. Get yourself together first.

The casting for young Cookie and Lucious is spot on. Same for young Carol and Candace. Love it.

Tariq played dirty putting that camera in the baby's teddy bear. He really is a Lyon.

Forgot to add: I like Nessa. Her dismissal of Hakeem's antics was perfect, and I loved her singing.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 7

This premiere episode sorta worked for me. If the writers focus more on character and a bit less on music and guest stars, the way this episode appeared to do, I'll stay happy. I do wish a bit more respect and focus was given for Rhonda though. As Andre's wife, she was a member of that family. I like the guy playing Lucious' brother. He's sexy and has a nice sounding voice. I liked the family dinner scene where he insults almost everyone at the table. I wonder if Andre will develop some kind of campy mental disorder stemming from Rhonda's death? He's already bipolar. Maybe they'll take him to full split personality and Andre develops some thuggish alter named Antonio. LOL. I liked the premiere and I hope they keep it up.

• Love 3

I'm so very glad this show is back.

Taraji was fantastic this episode. She thoroughly translated Cookie's extreme pain without losing the character's essential essence.

I love the Holloway Sisters. Candace is a bourgie ice queen, Cookie is a resourceful hoodrat and Carol is a perpetual basket case but they genuinely love each other.

The Lyons are supremely dysfunctional, but if that dinner table should've taught Tariq anything, it's that they refuse to turn on their own.

Except Lucious. Who remains the worst.

I continue to love Andre, Jamal and Hakeem taking such good care of each other. They and Cookie truly are the heart of the show.

I welcome the return of Boss Bitch Anika. I don't need her to be innocent or morally pure. I love her being the opportunistic, scheming survivor she's always been.

Nana Leah is the best. Nobody wields a butcher knife like Leslie Uggams.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8

LOL, the teddy bear Ted, from the movie TED, has a new role on Empire, I love it.  I was waiting for that bear to say something.

I can't believe Luscious pointed his fake gun fingers at the back of Jamal's head.  Oh please, of course I believe it.

I hope Cookie's wardrobe improves because I don't know what the hell was going on with it in this episode.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

This premiere episode sorta worked for me. If the writers focus more on character and a bit less on music and guest stars, the way this episode appeared to do, I'll stay happy. I do wish a bit more respect and focus was given for Rhonda though. As Andre's wife, she was a member of that family. I like the guy playing Lucious' brother. He's sexy and has a nice sounding voice. I liked the family dinner scene where he insults almost everyone at the table. I wonder if Andre will develop some kind of campy mental disorder stemming from Rhonda's death? He's already bipolar. Maybe they'll take him to full split personality and Andre develops some thuggish alter named Antonio. LOL. I liked the premiere and I hope they keep it up.

Oddly, I found myself at different points in the episode going...these folks just had two major events going on (a death and a birth practically the same night), and no one is really reacting to them. Wouldn't Rhonda's death and the way she died, plus the birth of the Lyon baby with his ex/now new wife be big news for the media & tabloids? Instead of the family drama, & Rhonda's funeral, Lucious is "taking over Times Square & the jumbotron?? Even if they hold the funeral for episode 2, there should have been more reaction at least to her falling to her death. Andre's guilt was a foregone conclusion.

• Love 8

I often joke about Lucious being the worst. Because he is.

But one of the things that I really appreciate about Terrence Howard's performance, is that as awful as Lucious is, he always imbues the character with a deeply abiding love for his children.

Is it an extremely warped love he uses to alternately control, debase, and/or embarrass his children at his leisure? Sure.

But I've never once not believed that underneath it all that Lucious truly loves his sons which is largely due to the numerous layers Terrence Howard brings to such a loathsome character.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 10

For some reason this episode felt jumpy and empty of true emotion and gravitas. There were some pretty heavy beats they just glossed over and the rest felt like it was going through the motions of Empire with nothing underneath.

If TB wasn't a regular, Andre would've totally gone over that railing after Rhonda. She's been his rock and the sane person outside the family whose supported him so to lose that should've devestated him.

Seriously, I'm not gonna be weeping for Cookie's broken heart over Lucious when Andre watched Rhonda get thrown over the railing and he has to carry the woman who contributed to her death to the hospital and the family is so busy trying to avoid the Feds they can't be bothered to comfort him or have a dang funeral. 

Trai having to throttle his wife for those scenes was uh, rough. 

Heh, liked that the girl could actually sing and worked the 'Free Freda' song.

Yay for a lioness cub! Go baby Bella!

Yep, Jamal is headed for a drug addiction storyline.

Anika is totally gonna try to work Hakeem into killing Lucious so he, Anika, and Bella can be together.

I'm here for GhostRhonda leading Andre on a path of who knows what. But seriously, where is her family? 

Ha! Tarik with the teddy cam. I appreciate the play but we all know Lucious knows something is in his house. He's like Victor Newman that way.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Anika is totally gonna try to work Hakeem into killing Lucious so he, Anika, and Bella can be together.

Hakeem is so flighty that I cannot see Anika keeping his attention with that plan for more than a minute. If Anika wants Lucious dead, she is going to have to do it herself, then again maybe can get his mother to do the deed. That seems more plausible than Hakeem.

• Love 4

Not Rhonda! I loved her and Rhondre so much. I'm down with Ghost Rhonda, or her evil twin Shonda, or whatever will keep her on the show. I did notice they moved the actress from regular to guest star, though, so I'm not hopeful. Total agreement with everyone saying there needs to be a funeral, etc. The character and the actress deserved better. 

Cookie and her sisters, then and now, were cracking me up. The casting on this show is so perfect.

Poor little Bella. Every time Luscious was holding her, I just wanted to snatch her and run.

• Love 6

As soon as Rhonda hit that car, I yelled out, "Shit! Her ghost better appear throughout the rest of this season!"  And there she was, haunting Andre in that awesome dress.  So I'm hoping this is not a one time thing.  But I'd also settle for a long lost twin or some stranger who has a strong resemblance to her.

And poor Andre already talking about himself in the third person.  How does Jamal not have a 2nd bedroom in that big ass condo?  And if he doesn't he could have at least given the grieving Andre his bed.  Just saying.

Teenage Lucious is hot.

I'm surprised by how much I miss Menage a Trois.  Not Laura, or her whack ass story line, but I really enjoyed their music. 

Anika better not touch any of Dwight's cake....Grandma Leah will fuck her ass up!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I tend to forget some of previous seasons' plots, so can somebody please refresh my memory? Lucious married Anika to prevent her from testifying about what? 

Tariq is apparently pursuing a federal case against Lucious - for what I'm not sure. He brought Anika in for questioning, and during Hakeem's non-wedding, she was served with a subpoena, presumably to testify against Lucious. After Laura left Hakeem at the altar, Lucious got the bright idea to marry Anika so she would not have to testify against him.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Dee said:

I often joke about Lucious being the worst. Because he is.

But one of the things that I really appreciate about Terrence Howard's performance, is that as awful as Lucious is, he always imbues the character with a deeply abiding love for his children.

Is it an extremely warped love that he uses to alternately control, debase, and/or embarrass his children with at his leisure? Sure.

But I've never once not believed that underneath it all that Lucious truly loves his sons which is largely due to the numerous layers Terrence Howard brings to such a loathsome character.

What show have you been watching? None of these poor children ever stood a chance at a legit shot at paternal love. For gay, for marrying a 'white bitch', for bipolar, for anything at all. Any reason is good enough for Lucious to loathe his sons. The one with the best overall shot would be Hakeem, but that ship has sailed a long time ago, even moreso now that cutie face (I forget her name) has walked away from their wedding. 

Unrelated note, someone can tell me what was the picture on Hakeem's phone at Tiana's? Was it a photo os him and Tiana? My tv isn't really good. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Syndicate said:

I wonder if Andre will develop some kind of campy mental disorder stemming from Rhonda's death? He's already bipolar. Maybe they'll take him to full split personality and Andre develops some thuggish alter named Antonio. LOL. I liked the premiere and I hope they keep it up.

Oh YES, that would be perfect!  I'd love it if that happens, I mean this show is campy enough, it would make perfect sense with the "Dun dun DUN" music. 

Since Empire is a soap, who wants to bet Rhonda has a twin?

Her name could be Rachel, and she was raised in the convent because Rhonda and her sister were both adopted as infants and neither knew about each other.  Rachel has dark hair and is a "good girl" but we'll see how long this lasts when she meets Andre, who she finds herself mysteriously drawn to.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

Poor Rhonda. Poor, poor Rhonda. Wonderfully shocking twist by the writers, as I really didn't see that coming (still holding out hope for an evil twin, because it's Empire) but I really wish it'd been Anika instead. Hopefully we'll at least get Rhonda's ghost hanging around to drive Andre to homicide. I'm calling it now: she pushes Andre into killing his father, but he somehow ends up taking out Tariq instead. That'll wrap up the Tariq storyline and start another one where Andre's on trial for murder. And then after they drag that out for maximum drama, Grandma Lyons ends up taking the rap to save Andre, because he did care enough to get her out of the nursing home. Speaking of which, if Tariq knew she was in there (as he said during the asparagus feast), why hasn't he used her to get to Lucious before this? (Whatever he's going after Lucious for -- I don't really remember either -- is certainly not the first time Lucious has been up to no good.) Why is he only going after him now? And why oh why is Grandma Lyons allowed to have free run of the house? I would have at least moved her into a guest house by now. With locks and cameras and guards. And not a knife in sight.

Terrence's/Lucious's conk has GOT to go. As does Cookie's Elmo coat. Actually, I didn't like anything she wore. I'm still mad at her - Lucious abuses her children but she only gets in her feelings when he marries someone else.

Couldn't agree more. Terrence needs to stop playing in his hair, that outfit Cookie wore to the meeting only belongs on home furnishings, and it's really pathetic that Lucious can treat her kids like shit over and over and over again but him (fake) marrying someone else is the final straw for her. She wasn't this hurt when he actually was planning to marry Anika for real. Annoyed and pissed, yes, but not hurt.

Unrelated note, someone can tell me what was the picture on Hakeem's phone at Tiana's? Was it a photo of him and Tiana?

Yeah, pretty sure it was an old photo of the two of them together. How hilariously sad that he busted into her house, pulled down his pants and passed out. I'd have rolled his drunk ass out the front door.

• Love 6

I'm disappointed that Rhonda was killed (even though I shrieked with laughter when she fell on top of the car right in front of Lucious and Hakeem, that was hilarious, I'm sorry to say!!!). If she'd survived, her accusations against Rhonda would've have made things even more tense and insane. Oh well. We may never truly know with certainty who pushed Rhonda down the stairs, and I suppose that will never be spoken of again. I agree with those who pointed out that it's odd that we the viewers got no glimpse or mention of a funeral or memorial service or anything for Rhonda. Heck, even Naomi Campbell got more of a send-off. So that's disappointing. The recurring ghost thing has been done so many times (first thing I thought of was Brooke haunting Billy in 'Melrose Place'!) that it's hard to put a new spin on it.

Why was Lucious so pissed off that Anika's baby was a girl? Hissing "You lied to me" at Anika while she's giving birth! Who the hell cares what gender the baby is? This isn't 13th century England, where only males can inherit from their parents. And yet, later on, Lucious is all goo-goo gaga over Bella in the nursery, talking intimately to her while the teddy bears sees and hears all. So make up your mind, Lucious...are you glad or angry that your grandchild is female, and what difference does it make anyway???

I've always liked Tiana - the character and the actress. I wonder if we'll ever see her again, if she'll have a story line.

Also agree with others that Cookie's outfits left a bit to be desired. She didn't look as amazing as she has, but I'm sure we'll still see some knockout stuff in due course.

Very, very much enjoyed the quick flashback to Cookie and her sisters and a young Lucious. Really well done, would have loved to see more!

I'm glad the show is back, it's always a fun, frothy, over-the-top way to pass an hour mid-week!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I'm disappointed that Rhonda was killed (even though I shrieked with laughter when she fell on top of the car right in front of Lucious and Hakeem, that was hilarious, I'm sorry to say!!!). If she'd survived, her accusations against Rhonda would've have made things even more tense and insane. Oh well. We may never truly know with certainty who pushed Rhonda down the stairs, and I suppose that will never be spoken of again. I agree with those who pointed out that it's odd that we the viewers got no glimpse or mention of a funeral or memorial service or anything for Rhonda. Heck, even Naomi Campbell got more of a send-off. So that's disappointing. The recurring ghost thing has been done so many times (first thing I thought of was Brooke haunting Billy in 'Melrose Place'!) that it's hard to put a new spin on it.

Anika did. She admitted it to Rhonda in the finale. Rhonda attacked her talking about "I know you pushed me, you wanted your child to be the only heir!" and Anika said "Damn right, I did!" Also, I never got the impression that we were supposed to think it was anyone other than Anika once the shoe connection was made.

• Love 6

I thought it was interesting that Rhonda was killed off.  So many times in the past, shows that promoted diversity with characters of different races ended up killing all of those characters until the show was about pretty white people and their problems (like a lot of CW shows).  This show killed off the white character and now the show is about black people and their problems. 

• Love 6

Anika did. She admitted it to Rhonda in the finale. Rhonda attacked her talking about "I know you pushed me, you wanted your child to be the only heir!" and Anika said "Damn right, I did!" Also, I never got the impression that we were supposed to think it was anyone other than Anika once the shoe connection was made.

Ah  - I had no recollection that Anika confessed. And yes, I definitely thought she was the "pusher," but there was a tiny seed of doubt...you never know...it's a soap opera, sometimes the most obvious thing is exactly that, but sometimes, something or someone from left field appears! And although Anika confessed, there was no one to hear it except Rhonda...and now she's gone. Although Andre was beating himself up over not believing Rhonda, so perhaps he'll follow through with it at some point, if he himself isn't too out of it. But, with Rhonda dead, there's scant incentive to do much more with that story line.

Edited by Biggie B

What show have you been watching? None of these poor children ever stood a chance at a legit shot at paternal love. For gay, for marrying a 'white bitch', for bipolar, for anything at all. Any reason is good enough for Lucious to loathe his sons. The one with the best overall shot would be Hakeem, but that ship has sailed a long time ago, even moreso now that cutie face (I forget her name) has walked away from their wedding. 

Having Lucious love and his approval are two totally different things.

For all of the extreme embarrassment Lucious harbors about Andre's mental health issues and Jamal's sexuality (especially in Season One) it's highly telling that neither are abandoned by Lucious, while their little brother Hakeem (Lucious Golden Child) is viewed (by Lucious himself) as too reckless and immature to run Empire.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Unrelated note, someone can tell me what was the picture on Hakeem's phone at Tiana's? Was it a photo os him and Tiana? My tv isn't really good. 

It was a photo of Hakeem & Tiana during their 'Takeem' days.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Why was Lucious so pissed off that Anika's baby was a girl? Hissing "You lied to me" at Anika while she's giving birth! Who the hell cares what gender the baby is? This isn't 13th century England, where only males can inherit from their parents. And yet, later on, Lucious is all goo-goo gaga over Bella in the nursery, talking intimately to her while the teddy bears sees and hears all. So make up your mind, Lucious...are you glad or angry that your grandchild is female, and what difference does it make anyway???

I've always liked Tiana - the character and the actress. I wonder if we'll ever see her again, if she'll have a story line.

Also agree with others that Cookie's outfits left a bit to be desired. She didn't look as amazing as she has, but I'm sure we'll still see some knockout stuff in due course.

Very, very much enjoyed the quick flashback to Cookie and her sisters and a young Lucious. Really well done, would have loved to see more!

I'm glad the show is back, it's always a fun, frothy, over-the-top way to pass an hour mid-week!

Didn't we see Tiana during the new singer's performance, realizing the new chick came out of nowhere to get the huge spotlight in the Times Square takeover for the streaming service launch?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Tikichick, I sure hope we see more of Tiana. The new singer is also interesting. I don't really want to see them battling each other for prominence, but it may well go in that direction.

I assumed that's where we were headed, which was kind of disappointing IMO.  Season one, she seemed to have a sizeable career and reputation, so much so they were trying to hitch Hakeem's wagon to her star -- and he wanted to make the pretend relationship real and she didn't go for guys.  Season two, she was suddenly both interested in Hakeem and threatened they were trying to make another singer/girl group hit it big and seemed like she was still trying to become known in the industry or something.  Now it looks like season three she's going to potentially be threatened by a new contender?

I like her, I think I'm just ready for them to give her an identity as a character and give her good story to play.

27 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I like her, I think I'm just ready for them to give her an identity as a character and give her good story to play.

She and Cookie had great scenes in S1 where Cookie said she had always wanted a daughter and the two of them seemed like they were gonna be close. I think Cookie's girl is going to be Bella after Anika kicks the bucket. Girl is on borrowed time. She's got Nana Walker gunning for her and Andre will start gunning for her too at Ghost Rhonda's urging.

Hakeem has a habit of running to a woman when the going gets tough. He ran to Anika after getting kidnapped to seek comfort and knocked her up. Thankfully, he passed out with his pants down before he could do the same to Tiana.

Don't know why but for some reason my mind has connected Tiana with Andre in a non-canon shipping moment. I think my brain was thinking they'd look pretty together. There's no way that'd work in show but stranger things have happened. I do think it's interesting that they've singled up Andre but if they keep GhostRhonda haunting him, he's still paired up. If he is medicated and recovering and alive in S4 I wouldn't mind seeing him date again.

I didn't realize Timbaland was out as musical director for this season. I'm guessing the smashing of the producer's hands to send him scurrying away and the new guy's team taking over was Empire's way of acknowledging the change in sound of the show, LOL. Cold.

• Love 1

I assumed that's where we were headed, which was kind of disappointing IMO.  Season one, she seemed to have a sizeable career and reputation, so much so they were trying to hitch Hakeem's wagon to her star -- and he wanted to make the pretend relationship real and she didn't go for guys.  Season two, she was suddenly both interested in Hakeem and threatened they were trying to make another singer/girl group hit it big and seemed like she was still trying to become known in the industry or something.  Now it looks like season three she's going to potentially be threatened by a new contender?

I thought she was pissed they were focusing on Laura's group specifically because she's supposed to be a big star. Like she's the headliner, so why are they trying to give her time and spotlight to some newbies? As fickle as the music industry is, it's probably reasonable for even a big star to feel a little threatened. But I had forgotten that she wasn't interested in men, which is I guess what the writers were banking on? Did they ever explicitly say that she doesn't date men at all before they hooked her up with Hakeem?

I don't particularly care what they do with her character (unlike the many viewers who seem to be fans), I just wish they'd figure it out or write her off. And please stop trying to convince us that all these adult women who have their shit together are panting after Hakeem. Mousy Laura was about the first love interest of his that was believable. Please don't let them make Shine's niece "come around" and fall for Hakeem's "charm" after all. 

Why was Lucious so pissed off that Anika's baby was a girl? 

Because Lucious is awful. Also, Anika lied to him and told him it was a boy (because she knows he's awful) to try to win him over to the idea of this new "heir," and manipulators hate when other people try to do it to them. Of course, a female child can legally be an heir, but the very idea hurts Lucious's fee-fees. And you know he's fickle as hell, so it makes sense that he'd be cuddling the baby one minute yet I'm sure at some point he'll make some vile comment about it to hurt Anika or Hakeem. Because Lucious is awful. 

• Love 4

Cookie's "Do you want a to-go plate" was hilarious. Now I need her to throw some barbs at Shine. I adore Xzibit (Pimp My Ride will always have a special place in my heart), but Shine makes me want to throw things.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, withanaich said:

Also, Anika lied to him and told him it was a boy (because she knows he's awful) to try to win him over to the idea of this new "heir,"

He's already got 3 boys. Did he think he could mold #4 into his idea of perfection? Selfish prick. 

• Love 3

No! Rhonda! I am really going to miss her and her weird but sweet relationship with Andre. And no one but Andre seemed to even really care that she was dead. I mean, I know she has never seemed to be super close with the rest of the family, but they have known her for years, and her and Andre have been together at least since college. At least she gets to hang around as...a ghost? Because its Empire, and things are just not crazy enough. 

Lots of good set up this episode, plus a big pile of Lucious being the worst. Same old same old. 

I laughed out loud at the super dramatic close up of the teddy bear camera starring at the baby. Oh, show. never change.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Dee said:

I loved the Lyon Brothers immediately jumping to Cookie's defense when Tariq slammed her during the family dinner.

Those boys love their mama, and really, who can blame them.

Yes.  Having her back made the. Realize how much they really missed while she was in jail.  Hakeem was too young to know, Jamal suffered in pain but kept in touch with her, Andre's story is less clear as he was the oldest and seemingly turned his back on her because he was trying to be a snake in training, but the issue has never truly been addressed.

I hate Boo Boo Kitty, so her remaining in the land of the living bugs.  Perhaps the show is priming me to do the happy dance when she and Lucious kill each other and Cookie is finally free of both those monsters.  

Andre was both a source of sympathy and fear over Rhonda's death and his reaction to it.  Notice how Lucious never once expressed concern for Andre.  As is the case with all three boys, Lucious couldn't care less about them until they are of some use to him.

• Love 6