Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin Can Wait - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2018 at 1:39 PM, Unclejosh said:

Leah Remini has ruined this show.  Sorry to any fans but she adds nothing and I preferred the show with Erinn Hayes despite all her flaws.  I also couldn't stand King of Queens.  Oh well.  I liked having Kevin James on a show I could actually enjoy but this is no longer such a show.  I still like Kevin's physical comedy and like Bas Rutten as well as Chael and Kendra most of the time but I feel like I watch out of obligation now.

Get rid of Leah and the show will improve. The show doesn't need a permanent female lead at all.

I liked Erinn Hayes/Donna and enjoyed the first season of the show. I liked that Kevin was a family man, I liked his friends, and it was good that he did not have a permanent job - it gave them lots of options for different storylines. 

I get what they were/are trying to do this season, but it's just not working. The writing just is not there. They seem to think that all they need to do is have Leah and Kevin constantly argue and zing one-liners at each other and voilà, instant chemistry, instant hit. Nope. The non-stop snarking and ridiculous situations are falling flat. 

ETA, I've always liked King of Queens and I like and admire Leah Remini, especially for her work exposing Scientology, so in my case, it's not that I have any issues with Leah. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 9

I just watched the final 2 episodes of the KoQ last night. First, Leah was so pretty back then. Granted, she still wore a ton of makeup, but she looked so much better before the cosmetic surgery, fillers and those claw like nails. Second, Kevin James is pretty much the same character on both shows, so I really think this new show sucks because the writing is awful and NONE of the cast has any chemistry with each other. They could have totally picked up KoQ 10 years later with the entire cast (and writers) and made a way better show than this current crap.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, msani19 said:

I'll give a chance if you do! My expectations are less than low, there are non-existent.

Well, I tried.  Nothing to get excited about!

55 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I really think this new show sucks because the writing is awful and NONE of the cast has any chemistry with each other. They could have totally picked up KoQ 10 years later with the entire cast (and writers) and made a way better show than this current crap.

I think the last few seasons of KofQ weren't that great either, but better than this new effort.  I wonder how much planning went into this one.  Did they just draw various plots and characters out of a hat & try & make a show?  I, too, feel that the writing stinks & I can't warm up to the supporting cast.  

• Love 1

Maybe TPTB read these posts and next season he will wake up and it was all a dream like the Newhart show : )  We can hope anyway, right? 

Oh and BTW, when Kevin was up on the billboard and Vanessa was down on the ground, he said something about loving her and she responded with it being the sweetest thing he ever said, I had to rewind it at least 6 times because I thought she started the sentence with, "Doug, that's the sweetest thing you ever said to me" but I think she was saying, "God, that's the sweetest thing you ever said to me". 

I enjoyed last nights episode.  I thought it was one of the better episodes of the series. 

I know I’m in the minority, but I think this season is better than last.  His wife felt like such a flat character to me.

15 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Yes!  I also thought I heard "Doug"!

That's what I heard too. I wasn't watching on a delay, so I couldn't rewind to read the captioning. 

I still think this show sucks. The only character I like is Rutger.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I just watched the final 2 episodes of the KoQ last night. First, Leah was so pretty back then. Granted, she still wore a ton of makeup, but she looked so much better before the cosmetic surgery, fillers and those claw like nails. Second, Kevin James is pretty much the same character on both shows, so I really think this new show sucks because the writing is awful and NONE of the cast has any chemistry with each other. They could have totally picked up KoQ 10 years later with the entire cast (and writers) and made a way better show than this current crap.

They really rushed the ending and series finale. It was a good, decent comedy and Kevin was really funny at times.

I felt like he could not wait to pursue his movie career and the show suffered. It's not so easy to have a Funny sitcom.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I had to rewind it at least 6 times because I thought she started the sentence with, "Doug, that's the sweetest thing you ever said to me" but I think she was saying, "God, that's the sweetest thing you ever said to me". 

I, too, thought I heard her say Doug. But I didn't care enough to rewind and told myself she probably said God, but can't pronounce anything properly with all her botox and injections, heh.

• Love 1

I watched it. I don't know what to say, other than they tried I guess. It feels like they can't decide what show they want this to be: workplace comedy? family comedy? Because doing both isn't working for them.  The work stuff was ok but nothing really all that funny.  I did say I'd give it chance and I did :-)

Lord have mercy, Leah's botox is killing me! Please Leah the love of all things good in this world, chill out with them. She can hardly enunciate her words. 

• Love 7

I actually made it through an entire episode.  I even laughed a few times!  When Carrie/"Vanessa" and other employee who's name I do not remember are looking for Doug/"Kevin."   His lines were pretty funny and her reactions are always right on point.  She can make me laugh with just a simple facial expression.

Adam Sandler's wife Jackie played the wife of the couple that Kevin was third-wheeling on.  I don't know wtf is going on with Leah Remini's face.  And I say this as a big fan of hers.  Wtf is she doing to herself and more importantly, WHY?  She is/was gorgeous just the way she is/was.  As it is now, the lisp is out of control and I can barely understand her.  And her eyes are pulled so far up the sides that they are slanted now.  I don't get it.  And her BFF is Jennifer Lopez, who looks pretty spectacular, so you would think she could hook her up with someone who does better work than that.  Or better yet, don't get any work done.  Makes me think less of an actress that I admire the hell out of, that she has succumbed to the madness of it all.  Hopefully she'll stop while her face can still move.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ari333 said:

Roseanne rebooted. Will and Grace rebooted. This show would have been better as a reboot of KoQ

I was thinking a reboot of KoQ would have been better too but the dynamics would have been off.  Jerry Stiller is 90 years old and in poor health so he's likely out.  Patton Oswalt is working on the Goldbergs.  In the series finale., they had 2 babies so they would have to work kids into the show.  Maybe they figured the show would have been so different from the original it was just easier to start fresh..

Re: last week's ep with the competing firm - Did they REALLY need Chale to tell them to focus on smaller businesses? REALLY? They really thought that a fledgling little company like theirs could take on huge jobs?

Plus, I'd imagine that a bigger, more established company like Nassau Security would also charge more. Are we supposed to believe that a business like Mary's Bakery (which likely employs only Mary and maybe one or two part-timers?) is going to pay thousands of dollars?

• Love 1

Vanessa was really obnoxious last night.  I felt bad for Kevin!  

I always forget the second daughter exists. She's a non-entity on the show.

I saw more of Carrie Heffernan in Leah Remini last night than I had before. Can't she portray any other character? I think I answered my own question here, as Kevin James can't play anything other than Doug Heffernan either. BTW, why are the marrieds spending a couple of days in Orlando on their way to ITALY? NYC airports fly directly in to Leonardo DaVinci airport in Rome. Didn't make sense to me.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I saw more of Carrie Heffernan in Leah Remini last night than I had before. Can't she portray any other character? I think I answered my own question here, as Kevin James can't play anything other than Doug Heffernan either. BTW, why are the marrieds spending a couple of days in Orlando on their way to ITALY? NYC airports fly directly in to Leonardo DaVinci airport in Rome. Didn't make sense to me.

What I want to know about that flight was how does a flight from NYC to Orlando get diverted to Louisiana???

• Love 3
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

NYC airports fly directly in to Leonardo DaVinci airport in Rome. Didn't make sense to me.

Maybe their contract says they have to have so much air time.  The whole episode was all over the place.

• Love 1

I don't think it was a very good idea for a character on a TV show, who is supposed to be a retired law enforcement officer to purposely defraud an airline by lying about their 'status' for an upgrade. That wasn't honest of Vanessa and is out of character for an ex-officer. This is something that Carrie Heffernan, once again, would have done. Desiring an upgrade to first class on a flight from the US to Italy is understandable, as it's a long flight, but the length this character went for a flight from NY to Orlando, which is UNDER 2 hours, is ridiculous.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I don't think it was a very good idea for a character on a TV show, who is supposed to be a retired law enforcement officer to purposely defraud an airline by lying about their 'status' for an upgrade. That wasn't honest of Vanessa and is out of character for an ex-officer. This is something that Carrie Heffernan, once again, would have done. Desiring an upgrade to first class on a flight from the US to Italy is understandable, as it's a long flight, but the length this character went for a flight from NY to Orlando, which is UNDER 2 hours, is ridiculous.

Another example of the poor writing on this show.  Not funny, just stupid. 

• Love 5

Rootger being so nervous about flying was ridiculous since he has flown across the Atlantic at least once. Being a nervous flyer is one thing, but being as petrified as he seemed to be made no sense. Does he travel between The Netherlands & the US on a ship? 

Edited by Toothbrush

Did Vanessa (Leah Remini' character) actually have that "botox" done to her lips or was that some kind of makeup special effects? The last time I saw something like that was on "Two and a Half Men", when Charlie and Alan Harper's mother Evelyn had the same procedure done. I just can't remember the episode. Bottom line, was it real? Below is the video clip of Evelyn. At the 1:14 mark is Evelyn (before), and at the 2:25 mark is the start of Evelyn (after)

Edited by dttruman
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Rootger being so nervous about flying was ridiculous since he has flown across the Atlantic at least once. Being a nervous flyer is one thing, but being as petrified as he seemed to be made no sense. Does he travel between The Netherlands & the US on a ship? 

My fear of flying intensified years after I'd first been on an airplane.

Leah Remini looked hideous tonight, in the five minutes I watched before "Man With a Plan." (Compared to "Kevin," "Man" deserves an Emmy.)

23 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

My fear of flying intensified years after I'd first been on an airplane.

Leah Remini looked hideous tonight, in the five minutes I watched before "Man With a Plan." (Compared to "Kevin," "Man" deserves an Emmy.)

She was supposed to look hideous.  

• Love 1

This show has just gotten completely ridiculous. No one--not even Chale--could see the error in Kevin's assumption about his Viking heritage? What if all of the daughter's Viking DNA came from the WIFE'S side of the family?  Oh, that's right -- we don't talk about her anymore.  In any event, doubling the percentage made no sense at all. And how much of a time lag was there supposed to be between the magazine photographer and the next scene? Magazines don't come out overnight.

"Man With a Plan" is a far better show. I coudn't even make it through all of last week's "Kevin", so I guess I'm giving up on this show.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, J-Man said:

This show has just gotten completely ridiculous. No one--not even Chale--could see the error in Kevin's assumption about his Viking heritage? What if all of the daughter's Viking DNA came from the WIFE'S side of the family? 

That was my first thought. But, on the other hand, it's nothing that I would argue with someone about.

• Love 4

I almost wonder if Vanessa's botox fiasco was a F-U to all of us talking about Leah's weird looking lips. I am sure she has heard what people are saying about her lips and I'd be far too embarrassed to emphasize botox to the point I couldn't move my face  when people are saying it in real life. Then again, maybe she is just that good of a sport and can take it as well as dish it out and was poking fun at herself???

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 5

I hate this show with a thousand hates, and this coming from probably the biggest KoQ fan out there.  What shocks me is that I hate Leah and not Kevin, and people say I'm like Carrie too, so its hurts all the more.  I can't look at her face, or her tight clothes, the script if horrific...time to put the pin in this one CBS. Was the 40 under 40 a local one, or was it Manhattan? Because I know the 40 under 40 in Chicago are true MOVERS AND SHAKERS, not "Monkey Fist Security"  PS, I hate that name too! 

2 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I almost wonder if Vanessa's botox fiasco was a F-U to all of us talking about Leah's weird looking lips. I am sure she has heard what people are saying about her lips and I'd be far too embarrassed to emphasize botox to the point I couldn't move my face  when people are saying it in real life. Then again, maybe she is just that good of a sport and can take it as well as dish it out and was poking fun at herself???

Unfortunately, I don't think the writers are clever enough for this.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I almost wonder if Vanessa's botox fiasco was a F-U to all of us talking about Leah's weird looking lips.

I was wondering this, also.  I think she has a sense of humor, but I still hate what she's done to her face.  

Another meh episode.  Just saw an old KofQ episode last night - Valentine's Day with Holly at the bar & Doug & Deacon transporting penguins.  Now that's funny!

• Love 5
On 2/3/2018 at 8:13 AM, floridamom said:

I don't think it was a very good idea for a character on a TV show, who is supposed to be a retired law enforcement officer to purposely defraud an airline by lying about their 'status' for an upgrade. That wasn't honest of Vanessa and is out of character for an ex-officer.

Don't forget, Vanessa was a cop just as long as Kevin was...

My personal peeve? How Kendra was able to just go take a vacation smack in the middle of the semester...in LAW SCHOOL...

• Love 1

I watched the 2/5 episode. Why no mention about the wonderful honeymoon in Italy? I thought it was supposed to be a big thing for this couple and such a nice, generous thing for Kevin to give his daughter and son in law, who he seemed to not be happy with.  These episodes don't relate to each other well, No connection at all from one episode to another. Weren't Kevin's other friends shown to also be part of Monkey Fist Security? Where did they go? They have never been seen together at this company since?

• Love 1