Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin Can Wait - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

....I'm all for tasteless jokes.  (I thought the Seinfeld Susan dying from cheap stamps George bought was hilarious)...

Me too, so I liked this episode. Note nobody got away with their tricks, either....

Envelopes, not stamps. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

The problem for me goes back to the definition of comedy by Mel Brooks that "tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." The idea of someone using Parents without partners to get out of work is funny because that makes them a horrible person. But Kevin's wife was the one who died. That makes him a really horrible person and he's supposed to be a family man and a grieving husband. If Doug did this, it's more in character. In fact, it's good that KOQ ended when they had kids, because Doug and Carrie are fundamentally awful people to know.

• Love 4

I'm out!  This show keeps getting worse each week!  It's like a horrible Nickelodeon sitcom (Sorry, Nick).  I'll stick with Leah and her Scientology show.  As for Kevin...time to hang up his hat and take his brother with him!

• Love 1

I turned this one off partway through.  Worst show of the season, imo.  The first half had nothing going for it, and I really didn't care how it turned out.

8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I liked the cookie jar escapade. It was pretty good. I actually did smile a bit. The rest of it....sorry, but I couldn't care less about it's content. Most of the characters just don't seem to meld together well.

I definitely liked the cookie jar story.  Kevin and Chale actually working together, and Chale being the one to be successful in their enterprise was nice.  I do wish they hadn't run over the darn thing, though.  I saw that coming a mile away when he set it down, though.  I actually thought he was going to drop it during the hug.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

You know, I've been watching this show since the pilot and I still can't figure out...what exactly is Kevin supposedly waiting for?

He was waiting for a new female lead to (hopefully) save the show.

• Love 6

I really do like Kevin in most of his roles (altho he seems to play pretty much the same guy in all of them). I like Leah in KoQ and other than this new role as Vanessa, I like her too. And once again, the two roles I've seen her in - pretty similar characters. I even like the overall "hijinx" for lack of better terms in Kevin Can Wait, HOWEVER, it's the little jokes that are just very poorly written. Last night, there was one near the beginning and it just made no sense. It was something about a mountain lion or something like that. I'm 52 years old and I've never heard the cliche' they were supposedly playing off of in that joke. And one other thing - is this like a super low budget show - no toy store in the world would have those cardboard shelves, etc.  and no toy store that looked like that would be very successful either. That toy store set was just pathetic. My granddaughter has more toys in her little bedroom! I keep thinking of things - how were they going to take on all his stores (12 wasn't it?) if it is just the 3 of them at Monkey Fist Security?

All that being said, I keep watching each week...lol

• Love 3

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I caught bits and pieces.  But, here's what I thought was stupid.  They were calling their associate to come and cut the chain off the door so they could get out.  OK, that makes sense.  I'm cool with that.  But, then, Kevin thinks they should move the crown so the boss will know that he needs security because somebody got in.  Wouldn't the cut chain accomplish that better?  The crown thing, he would probably just think one of his employees moved it.

Oh, and Kevin was right. That would have never happened, because I don't care how small your business is.  You check the bathrooms before locking up.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Oh, and Kevin was right. That would have never happened, because I don't care how small your business is.  You check the bathrooms before locking up.

Yeah - haven't they seen the movie "Where the Heart Is", in which the main character lives in a Walmart at night after they lock up by hiding in the bathroom at closing time?

I'm so excited that Kevin James might have a new show (where he will still be Doug/Kevin, of course) if this petition is successful: https://www.change.org/p/reed-hastings-keep-netflix-s-house-of-cards-running-with-kevin-james-replacing-kevin-spacey Then he can kill off that loser Robin Wright and bring Leah in! (Just kidding about Robin Wright being a loser, as she's been the subject of my girl crush since The Princess Bride.)

Kevin James and Leah Remini are playing the same characters as if they were Doug and Carrie.....just not married to each other. Why? When the show first started I watched because I enjoyed the KOQ, and I noticed right away that Kevin was playing the same character as Doug Heffernan..FF to now, bring in Lean Remini....who are they trying to fool here? Not a great show under these circumstances. They should have brought bach the KOQ . They could have had children and a house on Long Island. Would have been a better start for the series.

• Love 6

KOQ was a funny, well written show. Last night was pathetic. The writing needs to change if this show is worth watching no matter how much we like Leah and Kevin.

• Love 11

I never cared for "King of Queens" -- I just don't like Leah Remini's abrasive type of humor, but this show is the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked. 

The only funny character is the assistant at their "security" firm.

I unfortunately watched a few minutes of the show last night. I see they made another wife almost dying joke. I guess the writers think dead wives are funny.

• Love 1

I felt like the segments in this episode involving Chale, the daughter and his brother are almost like another separate show. They are pairing Kevin and Leah almost exclusively separate from the rest of the cast and goings on. I don't care to watch 'two separate shows and plotlines". There isn't much interaction between K & L and the rest of the cast.

Since when was that foreign neighbor that Kevin was supposed to be afraid of such an important part of the show? It involved his friends group more than that guy next door who lived with his mother. Just a writing mess.

• Love 5
On 11/8/2017 at 4:33 AM, floridamom said:

I felt like the segments in this episode involving Chale, the daughter and his brother are almost like another separate show. They are pairing Kevin and Leah almost exclusively separate from the rest of the cast and goings on. I don't care to watch 'two separate shows and plotlines". There isn't much interaction between K & L and the rest of the cast.

Since when was that foreign neighbor that Kevin was supposed to be afraid of such an important part of the show? It involved his friends group more than that guy next door who lived with his mother. Just a writing mess.

My opinion is that the kids will eventually be phased out and this will become 100% a workplace sitcom. Unless of course they go the showmance route, which show runners are saying is not going to happen. But famous last words & all that.  

Kevin became friendly with the neighbor at one point (they were all hanging out in Rutger's RV man cave), but they have made him 180 degrees different. Somewhere in the middle between scary neighbor and goofy is ideal. And he just looks like he belongs in a security company. 

Last night's episode was more like the King of Queens...not much difference between them and Doug and Carrie, yet again. 

The married daughter, etal at the pizza place seems to be a separate small show in itself. This show is falling apart quickly. Too bad.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

The married daughter, etal at the pizza place seems to be a separate small show in itself. This show is falling apart quickly. Too bad.

Agree!  One show is the daughter, Chale and Kevin's brother.  The other show is Kevin and Leah at work.  Now Kevin's 2 friends joined the security team as well.  Lame!  Leah's other show Scientology and the Aftermath is funnier...and it's not even a comedy!

• Love 5

I found it a surprise that suddenly Kevin's friends are part of the business? From where did this come? We haven't seen them this season (or hardly) and suddenly they're business partners, like Vanessa suddenly showing up. Kevin James' delivery of Kevin Gable is the exact same character as Doug Heffernan...the speech pattern, food issues, all of it, IMO. Leah Remini IS Carrie Heffernan...her delivery with Kevin is the same as Carrie's was to Doug. It was totally clear last night with the "cheese on the floor" banter.

Either show could have been a better one if they were conceived correctly....Kof Q 2..or continue with the old storyline keeping the wife, etc. Last season left a lot of potential storylines with both of them being unemployed for this season to explore. The writers missed the boat.....twice.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

They are waiting for us to forget that the character existed.  I think they 'll 'erase' the younger 2 children shortly.

I think the kids have to be really good actors with well written characters or they just drag the show down.    Characters have been "forgotten" before.  What happened to Carrie's sister?  Chuck Cunningham?

2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

and we STILL don't know how the wife died! WTF are they waiting for?

I don't really care, frankly.  

• Love 5

So last night's episode - where did the neighbor who looks uncannily like his dead wife come from out of the blue trying to make the moves on Kevin? And did you hear her say "I've been trying for 10 months?" This is their first Thanksgiving without the mom, so it has been less than a year since her death because she taught the younger daughter how to make cornbread last year. So this neighbor woman started pursuing Kevin about 2 months after Donna died??? 

At least they did acknowledge the mom's death in a serious way to the daughter.

And one last thing - just like someone commented about last week's episode basically being Carrie & Doug - like with her telling him to go ahead and dip the bread in the cheese on the floor - in this episode, there were a couple of Carrie/Doug2.0 as well.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

So last night's episode - where did the neighbor who looks uncannily like his dead wife come from out of the blue trying to make the moves on Kevin? And did you hear her say "I've been trying for 10 months?" This is their first Thanksgiving without the mom, so it has been less than a year since her death because she taught the younger daughter how to make cornbread last year. So this neighbor woman started pursuing Kevin about 2 months after Donna died??? 

At least they did acknowledge the mom's death in a serious way to the daughter.

Except that in the season debut, they said it had been "a year" since the mom died, so presumably they had already been through one set of holidays already. I'm sorry I know that much about this shit of a show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Except that in the season debut, they said it had been "a year" since the mom died, so presumably they had already been through one set of holidays already. I'm sorry I know that much about this shit of a show.

But, last night the daughter said "last year" her mom taught her how to make corn bread.  And it was Kevin's first year of being in charge.  Now, I could totally handle them having skipped last year because mom died so recently, but that doesn't explain how her mom taught her to make the cornbread for Thanksgiving if she was already dead.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

But, last night the daughter said "last year" her mom taught her how to make corn bread.  And it was Kevin's first year of being in charge.  Now, I could totally handle them having skipped last year because mom died so recently, but that doesn't explain how her mom taught her to make the cornbread for Thanksgiving if she was already dead.

Maybe mom died tragically in a Black Friday sale. She could have shown the daughter how to make cornbread the day before. Still doesn't quite fit the "year" she'd supposedly been dead in September, though. ?

• Love 3

ONE of the issues this new version of the show has is that they seem to be interjecting these 'new' characters that we have never seen before, or barely seen before and making them an important element in the storyline...ie, Vanessa, the foreign employee, and now that neighbor lady who's 'after Kevin'....not a good idea to do this to an audience who can barely relate to the original characters.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i still want to know how the wife dies. it's pissing me and my obsessive side off that they won't tell us.

I get it, but here's the thing: IF they tell you (collective you...not personal) she died in a car accident, the collective you will want to know how/when the accident happened. If they say she had a medical episode, everyone will want to know what disease she had and when she was diagnosed --- and so on and so forth.  The show can't win for losing because people will not allow them be vague.  So IMO, by not saying anything, they leave it up to your imagination without having to deal with the backlash of any cause of death.

• Love 1

I watched an old KOQ episode yesterday. Lean Remini's makeup was more natural and her lip/ 's' pronunciation was normal. Why did she tinker with that? It's annoying to see and hear during a TV show. I know it's a small thing to many of you, but it irks me.

• Love 3