Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin Can Wait - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Was it canceled? It never found a groove or improved. I couldn't tell you what the show was supposed to even really be about and that's because they had no idea either. Each week was just, let's throw out something and see how it goes. 

• Love 1

I work 9/80s so was off at 11:00 Friday, and had a bunch of errands to run. I had to take a detour due to traffic from Barbara Bush's visitation, so kind of got put off on my planned schedule & route, and on my way home I realized I forgot to stop at the bank! lol Just had to deposit our mortgage escrow overage check so not a big deal, but I did finish the rest of my errands (none of which involved securing a parking garage for Ralph Macchio), and was definitely not having PA candidates compete in a planking contest. So not as bad as Kevin, but it made me laugh. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, msani19 said:

Was it canceled? It never found a groove or improved. I couldn't tell you what the show was supposed to even really be about and that's because they had no idea either. Each week was just, let's throw out something and see how it goes. 

It's in limbo - they haven't renewed it but they haven't cancelled it either.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:16 PM, Mjr said:

MOTHER OF GOD! Please I'm begging you, make Kevin Gable less of a bumbling IDIOT! HOW could this man have a family and or reproduce? How could he had made it to retirement with a Gun??? You have GOT TO make him not absolutely SCREW up everything he touches and be such a complete MORON in this show. It is PAINFUL to watch, and it makes my left arm numb watching Kevin be such a COMPLETE DUNCE....  It can be funny without him having the IQ of a breadstick.... 

This. Vanessa is essentially Carrie all over again, playing the mother who has to direct Kevin through every single thing, reminding him a zillion times and then he still drops the ball, as with depositing the check before 4. Who in their right mind would start a business with an idiot who can't pull his own weight? What's more, it really begs the question...how did this guy make it through twenty years as a cop? Cops get orders and have to follow them, quickly and precisely. They can't be distracted by improperly buttered bagels or shiny objects.

• Love 7

So I quit watching the show because The Resident is on at the same time and well, I like The Resident better. I just don't need another show to DVR and I'd probably just end up deleting them w/o watching if I did. I do come and read here occasionally to see if it ever got any better, but nope. If they ever just overhaul it all and make it a King of Queens reboot, I'd be in for that. Maybe when this fails, they will do that with the success all the others reboots are having. And KOQ was very well loved. I bet a reboot would go over very well. I know Jerry Stiller is still alive, but if he wasn't well enough to act, they could act like he is in a nursing home or had already passed away. They could focus on the kid they were adopting - and wasn't Carrie pregnant in the last episode or did I dream that?

• Love 3
On 4/23/2018 at 2:19 PM, llewis823 said:

They could focus on the kid they were adopting - and wasn't Carrie pregnant in the last episode or did I dream that?

Yes, they adopted and then Carrie discovered she was pregnant. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I DVRd it. I guess I'll watch.

Where is Deacon? Is he working somewhere else? They are using Rutgur and he was on KoQ a few times, I think.

Do you mean the actor?  He probably just has better taste in TV shows.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Do you mean the actor?  He probably just has better taste in TV shows.

He's kept busy.  His name is Victor Williams and he was on The Affair and Sneaky Pete.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not a bad episode at all. I hope the show will allow Kendra & Chale to be successful with Enzo's. It was nice to see Burt Young even if just for a moment. According to IMBD, he is still very busy - good for him! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
On 5/3/2018 at 10:24 PM, Toothbrush said:

I hope the show will allow Kendra & Chale to be successful with Enzo's.

I dunno...on the one hand, it's good to have the characters with a solid story arc. But on the other, it's pretty ridiculous. Kendra is supposedly busy with law school, but now she suddenly has all this time and interest in managing a restaurant? And Chale was supposedly creating an app or something techy. Now he's suddenly super at restaurant management and full of great ideas, all because he worked in one for a year? And Kevin throws in freakin' $80,000 (meaning that he's making the whole thing happen, not just "helping" as Kendra kept putting it). Sorry, but if I were the one footing the project, I definitely wouldn't apologize for offering a few ideas! Especially when they make sense, like the Whack-a-Mole...Kendra acted like Kevin wanted topless waitresses or something. Then, to top it all off, Kendra throwing a hissy fit and "moving out" (because of course, having your dad's friend offer you a room out of pity is NOT "moving out") At least Chale had the sense to realize what a sweet situation he's got going on, all because of Kevin. Privileged Kendra is apparently so accustomed to getting everything she wants that she has absolutely zero appreciation for any of it.

• Love 1

I think the only part I liked about he episode was the comeuppance. Although, I saw it coming from a mile away that the band member they kept hushing was going to be the only one the manager was interested in, I still loved that it happened.  

The flashback stuff with Vanessa was stupid.  Anybody who decides not to propose based on two sentences from a complete stranger, probably wasn't all that serious in the first place.  I mean, really.  Think about it.  He either would have broken off the engagement within two weeks, or they would have divorced pretty quickly. If he had as strong of feelings as he should have in order to propose, an uninformed opinion from Kevin would have done nothing.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

I would be so hurt to know that people were cringing about my real face. 

Not cringing about her REAL face, but her augmented face.  Leave it alone, Leah!

• Love 10

Wow, those flashback scenes were brutal. With all the work that Leah has done to her face, it didn’t work at all. So difficult to look at her. I think I'm really tired of shows doing flashbacks cause the actors look increasingly ridiculous but it seems like it's such a popular tv writing trope.  

Seriously, bringing Chris Rock and Adan Sandler in was a desperate move and somehow still not good. 

Kevin James loves to include his family in his shows. That was his wife with Leah in the flashback scene.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, msani19 said:

Kevin James loves to include his family in his shows. That was his wife with Leah in the flashback scene.

I was waiting for Leah's husband to show up.  He was funny in KofQ.

22 minutes ago, msani19 said:

Seriously, bringing Chris Rock and Adan Sandler in was a desperate move and somehow still not good. 

You would think that all of those comedians would know what's funny!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Barb1959 said:

You know that old saying "we saved the best for last?"    Well....they saved the WORST for last on this show!  Lord that was bad!

I don't know that it was the worst episode.  The episode with the roller skating and doing the stake out when they get locked in the store were both way worse. 

4 hours ago, msani19 said:

Wow, those flashback scenes were brutal. With all the work that Leah has done to her face, it didn’t work at all. So difficult to look at her. I think I'm really tired of shows doing flashbacks cause the actors look increasingly ridiculous but it seems like it's such a popular tv writing trope.  

me the hubby noticed that too.  I abhor this show and said "if her real life husband is going to be the guy she's meeting, I'm throwing the TV out the window".  

I agree 100 about Rock and Sandler adding NOTHING to this train wreck.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Oh well.  No big surprise, and I can't say I much care.  I think I only liked one epi all season.  But to be fair, I didn't see all of them.

It was a mercy killing.

• Love 11

I'd say they'll go with a King of Queens reboot now.

Im glad the media has acknowledged that the casting change of Erin for Leah was not well received. I didn't think the wife was anything special but I hated that they replaced her for Leah.

• Love 9

For this fan of KofQ I just couldn't get used to Leah's botoxed face. It's a shame actresses do that to themselves.

I really wanted to like this show but to fire an actress then to hire a former co-star with obvious chemistry but with one big change just did not work. Terrible writing didn't help either.

• Love 10
On 2018-05-12 at 7:36 PM, Chas411 said:

Im glad the media has acknowledged that the casting change of Erin for Leah was not well received. I didn't think the wife was anything special but I hated that they replaced her for Leah.

I’m sure there’ll be a groundswell of support on Twitter to save the show.  Just like  Brooklyn 9-9.  Just kidding.

I honestly didn’t care about the wife being turfed.  I just wanted a funny show and this wasn’t it.  I was happy when Leah joined the cast.  I didn’t watch the first season after the first couple of episodes, but I watched this whole season, waiting for it to get better.  Too bad.  

• Love 5
On 12/05/2018 at 7:36 PM, Chas411 said:

I thought everyone was screaming about Erin & Kevin having no chemistry.  I like Leah, but her face is very distracting.  Overall, I blame really bad writing, and the family format didn't work.  The kids were boring & couldn't act, his friends were boring.  

• Love 3

Good riddance! This show was a hot mess. First season was boring and dry. Season 2 was directionless and messy. At the end of the day, this show didn't work. Oh well, I'll continue to watch watch reruns of King of Queens 

• Love 8

Finally watched the finale last night. Wow what a stinker.  And it didn't feel like a season (series) finale even with the stunt casting.  Just yuck.

No big loss although I will say that I ended up watching everything single episode of this show while I have never watched a complete episode of King of Queens.  I tried many times when it aired live and it was awful.  So take that for what it is worth.

"As Variety reports, there's still hope for Kevin Can Wait getting picked up by another network:

But the show still saw a big ratings slide in its second season. The cancellation after investing in two seasons is a tough cut for Sony Pictures Television, which will shop the series to other buyers."

I can't believe people care about this hot mess.  They would have to do a complete overhaul of the plot & characters.  And, please NO King of Queens reboot!

• Love 2

If they bring it back, they should have Donna come back from Witness Protection (because why not?) to find Kevin with Vanessa. Then she leaves the with minor children. Kevin and Vanessa move to a house in Queens and rent the basement out to an old man to make ends meet.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2016 at 8:52 PM, msani19 said:

I feel like Kevin James can play exactly one character. Himself. This was like King of Queens, different wife, different job, kids instead of Arthur, different gang of guys hanging around all the time. If this was 2006, I think this might have been decent. However, TV has really advanced in the 10 years he was last on the air and I think expectations are very different. This was so old school, not in a retro, snarky, wistful, skillful way, just old and stale. Either way, I know for sure Kevin James is the one laughing all the way to the bank while I sit here writing this comment! lol.

Totally agree!!! I only made it theough half of one show and that was it, show sucked!!!

Just now, Miranda said:

Totally agree!!! I only made it through half of one show and that was it, show sucked!!!

I really got into this show in quarantine.  I would say give it another chance.  There's some episodes I really like in there.  There's some I can even watch again and again.  I really like Rutger and Chale.  And I don't hate one season and love the other, either.  It's more episodes that I like or dislike.