Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin Can Wait - General Discussion

• Start Topic

With all the reboot nonsense, why wouldn't they just scrap this and redo King of Queens?

I don't know, but I think the oldest daughter and boyfriend Chale work.  I don't think the other kids bring much either.  I think they just wanted to get rid of the wife.  Doesn't bother me.  Do I think this is a great show? No.  But I do like KJ and LR enough and I get a couple laughs.  I will probably watch more now then before. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Patricia07 said:

I would rather see Doug and Carrie than Kevin and Vanessa.  

Me too. Well, as long as Carrie hasn't frozen her face and lips with fillers like Vanessa. Ugh, it's such a horrible look...why are (primarily) women still doing it?? I have no issues with against anything that'll make you feel and look your best, but trying to look "younger" is the road to looking like a jacked up freak, and you look the opposite of younger. Jane Fonda has a great surgeon and she's been getting surgery for decades now. People should follow her approach.

I thought the way the wife's death was handled was tacky, but so was the way she was fired, so I didn't expect anything better. The show, with or without Dona, is still not working. I'm not sure what they can do about it, but I'm sure that it'll do well enough to stay on the air.

I can keep watching KoQ reruns. 

• Love 5
On 9/25/2017 at 11:07 PM, bilgistic said:

That was rough. I tried again because of Leah, but I'm out again.

In the opening the oldest daughter mumbles, "it's been a year since mom died."
 I barely heard it. 

On 9/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, Katy M said:

Darren and Becky didn't disappear they got recast.  And, if they got divorced, the kids would have to disappear also.

They did disappear and got replaced with a new person and nothing was said about it. That's what I meant

28 minutes ago, ari333 said:

They did disappear and got replaced with a new person and nothing was said about it. That's what I meant

But, it was the same character?  aRe you saying that you would have preferred if Leah was playing Donna and they just did a recast?  Because if a family member actually disappears, you kind of have to explain it.

45 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

How were the ratings?

From TV By The Numbers:

Kevin Can Wait (CBS) – P     2.3  8 share    10.10 million viewers

"Circling back to CBS, “Kevin Can Wait” (2.3) had its best outing since week 2 of last season (it was off 0.3 vs. the series premiere),"

I watched one episode early last season (the book club?) and felt no chemistry between the two leads and Donna was boring and just not funny imo. Erin Hayes seemed miscast imo against Kevin James. Maybe she can move into a better part on another show now and play a more dynamic character.

I watched this season's first episode and felt it was a little rough but there was some sparkle to it and undeniable chemistry, not romantic but comedic. Plus I loved the idea of speaking Australian at the Outback Steakhouse--ha!

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

I liked the previous actress and I don’t like how they have done this. They basically have Leah’s character roaming around the house replacing the dead wife. Weird. Then the kids as usual appear and disappear. They don’t seem to know what to do with this show. 

• Love 4

Erinn Hayes was fine, Leah Remini - not sure about her.   There's more wrong with this show than the leading ladies.  The writing stinks, Kevin James isn't funny any more, the rest of the supporting cast is horrible uninteresting.

• Love 8

One of the problems is that they time-hopped a year (not a problem in itself since I do not want to see a family grieving a wife/mother/sis-in-law/friend on my sitcoms), but that it did not seem like Kevin & Vanessa had had a lot (or any) contact during that year. Kevin contacted Vanessa due to her having a contact at Immigration, and the way she asked him how things were going made me think they hadn't kept in touch. So for her to appoint herself wedding planner didn't seem organic. Sure Kendra was going nuts, but it seemed off and you need to be able to put a lot of trust in your wedding planner. And yes, I am overthinking this. Why do you ask? ;-) 

• Love 3

I like the "new" show.  Leah & Kevin have WAY more chemistry than the other actress. And while the transition may not have been the smoothest, I get why it was done. If you liked KofQ, give it a chance.

Speculating that the only reason they didn't re-boot KofQ is because it would have put a lot of people out-of-work, including Kevin's "kids".  This way (hopefully) Kevin & Leah can recreate their chemistry (if given a chance by the naysayers) while the writers fine tune the storylines.

• Love 6

Well, I liked King of Queens, but I don't think that translates to this show at all.  Even looking at the previews you can tell Leah's character is aimlessly hanging around their house as if she is the new mom.  I have nothing against Kevin or Leah, and like them both, so am not necessarily a naysayer--it just feels clear to me that this move is a very off move for many viewers.  The show already lacked direction, and I doubt this will help this issue.

• Love 10

I watched one episode last year, because I like Kevin, but that wasn’t enough to make me stay. Knowing Leah joined, and having previously liked her, but now loving her since watching Scientology and the Aftermath, I watched this first episode. Since I didn’t know the wife character having her die off screen didn’t bother me at all. I thought it was funny in moments, but not great. Still I’ll probably keep trying with it to see if it can settle into itself because I think it could have potential. And because I want Leah to be successful and keep the Scientology creeps continually angry that they haven’t broken her. 

Edited by ramble
Changed CO$ to Scientology since not everyone knows the abbreviation for the cult.
  • Love 8

Two episodes in the season we don't know how the wife died. I think there's one less friend on this show.

I had no idea the other children's names were jack and Sara.

Kevin and Leah do have chemistry but there is still something missing on this show.

The guy who they served is Leahs husband.

Kevin seems too stupid to be a cop or a security guard

• Love 3

I couldn't make it past the 5-minute mark.  The kids are terrible, as are the friends.  I noticed that Leah's husband was there though.  It's hard to see if Leah & Kevin have chemistry because the writing is so horrendous.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

The kids don’t look at all like dead mom.

I was thinking just the opposite last night. I get how Carrie & Doug (oops I mean Vanessa and Kevin) have the antagonistic relationship, but man, Vanessa talks to him far worse than Carrie talked to Doug. And that is saying something. 

9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I still don't get why the wife had to "die" for this season to happen.

I think the antagonistic relationship is going to turn to a romantic relationship eventually. And then they'll just be Carrie & Doug 2.0.

• Love 1

It doesn't bother me that the wife "died" - it's just fiction.  I would have gone for a whole do-over, instead, though.  There's something off about the whole show.  Kevin isn't funny any more.  Leah and her lip and her stringy hair are not working for me, don't care for the character either.  The kids are terrible actors.  It will probably be one of those shows that hang on with nothing going for it similar to "Two Broke Girls"  -  just didn't get that one.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

The kids don’t look at all like dead mom.

they take after their dad except for the older one. this has become acceptable. when i was that age, being overweight was not as prevalent as it is now. need more nutritional guidance at home and in school.

55 minutes ago, useryikes said:

It doesn't bother me that the wife "died" - it's just fiction.  I would have gone for a whole do-over, instead, though.  There's something off about the whole show.  Kevin isn't funny any more.  Leah and her lip and her stringy hair are not working for me, don't care for the character either.  The kids are terrible actors.  It will probably be one of those shows that hang on with nothing going for it similar to "Two Broke Girls"  -  just didn't get that one.

she looks much better on "scientology". or i should say her hair does. maybe the hair person did not put in extensions ? she seems to be wearing less makeup here which is a good thing. i love kevin and leah together but this writing on this show sucks. should have done a king of queens 2. everyone else is doing it.....

did anyone notice she had on spike heels at the amusement park? !

11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I still don't get why the wife had to "die" for this season to happen.

At least they kept the kids and friends. I was worried it would just be Leah and Kevin at this point. Whatever.

59 minutes ago, useryikes said:

i wish they would just tell us how she died already.

I gave the show several chances last season and didn't like it.  I did like last night's episode.  I think the show is better this season.  The mom's character never worked for me, so I can see why they killed her off.

For whatever reason--either people rejecting the new premise or the lack of the Young Sheldon lead-in, or both--ratings plummeted last night, from a 2.3 rating and 10.26 million viewers last week to a 1.4 rating and 6.77 million viewers last night. Ouch.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 6

I liked last night's episode. Kevin and Leah on the ride. Serving Leah's real life husband Angelo and Leah acting wacky just before it. I also think Leah's face is not as botoxed as last season.

The young kids are not the best actors though.

It's just too obvious to me that they booted the other actress out to bring in Leah Remini. Nothing against the actress, but she's out of place hanging around the Gable house. She doesn't belong there as the wasn't an original character and the audience really doesn't know her. I, too, would rather have seen a 'fast forward ' of the King of Queens and showed Doug, Carrie and the children they eventually had..Arthur included. Ms. Remini's lip and "S's" are so annoying to listen to and to look at. She really needs to deflate her upper lip. Doesn't look or sound good. No to the present Kevin Can Wait and YES,, to an updated King of Queens. A lot can be done to show how this couple were living in the last 15 years and what they have accomplished as a married couple. Sorry CBS missed the opportunity.

• Love 5

I know I am in the minority but I like the show better this season than last. Erinn Hayes is a funny actress but the chemistry was just lacking between her and Kevin James and, well, it is called Kevin Can Wait - he wasn't going anywhere.

As a young widow, I actually think they are handling the death of Donna pretty well. That comment about getting a piece of mail for the wife brought me back to the same thing happening to me a few years after my husband passed. I received a birthday card for my late husband in the mail from a business. Now that would have been bad enough but his birthday was five days before he passed so, needless to say, it really got to me. Kevin's little stop at seeing her name and sigh was a nice little moment. I also liked the daughter grabbing the mail and being angry about it being sent in the first place.

Also appreciate that they are not just acting like the character was never on the show. They mention her and talk about moving on. So often on shows a death is just mentioned maybe once or twice and then it's like Mom who? I hope they keep doing this as it, for me, adds a little more depth to your run of the mill sitcom. YMMV as always.

• Love 7

When I first saw this show, I thought he was portraying the same character as the King of Queens...same issues, likes food, lazy around the house, etc. I'm glad you all think the same thing here. My least favorite character is Chale. What is he doing there? Not going to school, not working, how does he pay his rent? The character needs to lose those ugly heavy black glasses. They annoy me.

3 hours ago, floridamom said:

When I first saw this show, I thought he was portraying the same character as the King of Queens...same issues, likes food, lazy around the house, etc. I'm glad you all think the same thing here. My least favorite character is Chale. What is he doing there? Not going to school, not working, how does he pay his rent? The character needs to lose those ugly heavy black glasses. They annoy me.

Chale = Arthur 2.0

• Love 2

Trying to stick Leah Remini's character in this show is uncomfortable for me to watch. Her clothing is way too tight and looks uncomfortable to wear. I actually don't feel comfortable watching her and her upper lip, waaaay too much makeup and "S" pronunciation makes it a struggle for me to view I think updating King of Queens would have been a better idea. At least she would have fit in there. It was a good show. The actress who portrayed the wife was very gracious to the network after being axed. I'm sorry for her. She did a good job and was growing in the role. She and Kevin James did have some chemistry.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, alexa said:

Well, I liked King of Queens, but I don't think that translates to this show at all.  Even looking at the previews you can tell Leah's character is aimlessly hanging around their house as if she is the new mom.  I have nothing against Kevin or Leah, and like them both, so am not necessarily a naysayer--it just feels clear to me that this move is a very off move for many viewers.  The show already lacked direction, and I doubt this will help this issue.

I guess the show just makes me feel sorry for the kids, because Kevin has no clue how to parent them appropriately.  Their mom was the one who took care of the parenting tasks (which is being reduced to making lunches and doing laundry) and Kevin was the clueless buffoon.   Now the kids are stuck with the buffoon raising them. 

• Love 3

It's still not a great show, but I enjoy Kevin and Leah. I think they handled the whole thing terribly but it's not enough to stop me from watching. I guess the oddest thing for me is Kevin and Leah have great chemistry that definitely does not need to be romantic. I think the co-worker dynamic is a good way to twist their relationship so they don't have to be Doug and Carrie all over again.

The friends are still weak links for me. None of them have the charisma to match Kevin. How long until one of them is killed off to make room for Decan? I wouldn't be mad at it.

Anyone else recognized Leah's real life husband as the guy being served with papers?

• Love 5

Not an outstanding episode.  I didn't really laugh at anything.  I think Leah was channeling Carrie with some of her gestures.  The kids are still horrible - really unappealing.

That denim outfit didn't do her any favors.

• Love 3

I don't care for the way that Leah's character is so suddenly BFFs with everyone...just walking into the house without knocking, being at Kendra and Chale's impromptu wedding with just family, etc. It seems way too forced. She's so chummy with everyone, but until the end of last season, we never even heard of her? Huh.

And the whole "teenage daughter has a bra!" thing is a gag as old as time. If Kevin is so uncomfortable touching his daughters' undergarments, why not ask THEM to do their own laundry? Kendra is a full-fledged adult, and Sarah is 16/17. Surely she is capable of throwing a load into the washer after school.

• Love 10
On 9/29/2017 at 3:21 AM, MsTree said:

I like the "new" show.  Leah & Kevin have WAY more chemistry than the other actress. And while the transition may not have been the smoothest, I get why it was done. If you liked KofQ, give it a chance.

Speculating that the only reason they didn't re-boot KofQ is because it would have put a lot of people out-of-work, including Kevin's "kids".  This way (hopefully) Kevin & Leah can recreate their chemistry (if given a chance by the naysayers) while the writers fine tune the storylines.

putting kevins "kids" out of work would not be a bad thing. they are uninteresting. can not invest in them at all. 

AND! 3 episodes in and we still don 'know how the wife died? get it out of the way already. it distracts from the show.

Edited by msrachelj
spelling
  • Love 1

I'm not familiar with any of the  related previous shows, characters, etc.  Just a vague recollection of them, however, I caught last night's episode of Kevin Can Wait and was very amused.  I was quite entertained and LOL quite a few times.  And I don't normally do that. In fact, I rarely watch comedies.  I like them, but, find few that appeal to me.  One other exception is Mom.   I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Love 1