Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 18/10/2018 at 8:41 PM, cpcathy said:

Classic episode, Shots Bride is just as bad as Marie (Heads Will Roll!) but Marie gets all the online comments.

"Shots" was a giant pain the ass, too.  She was horrible at every wedding.

Quick off topic comment about people not being able to cut food and hold their utensils properly. I used to be able to do that. I broke my wrist 5 years ago, I have osteoporosis, the wrist didn't heal properly, I have little strength in it. It took a year for me to be able to peel potatoes and chop things for cooking. I still have problems when I'm doing a lot of peeling and chopping, in order to not have a sharp knife fly across the room, I sometimes have to use a death grip. My niece moved in with me a few months after I broke my wrist and took pity on me and cut my food. But, I have a good reason, many people were simply not taught how to properly use utensils. But on the other hand, my sister is left handed and scares the crap out of me with sharp knives. I do almost all the cooking to keep her away from knives.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, friendperidot said:

Quick off topic comment about people not being able to cut food and hold their utensils properly. I used to be able to do that. I broke my wrist 5 years ago, I have osteoporosis, the wrist didn't heal properly, I have little strength in it. It took a year for me to be able to peel potatoes and chop things for cooking. I still have problems when I'm doing a lot of peeling and chopping, in order to not have a sharp knife fly across the room, I sometimes have to use a death grip. My niece moved in with me a few months after I broke my wrist and took pity on me and cut my food. But, I have a good reason, many people were simply not taught how to properly use utensils. But on the other hand, my sister is left handed and scares the crap out of me with sharp knives. I do almost all the cooking to keep her away from knives.

Due to my having a congenital condition which causes my bones to break easily, I've fractured my right arm many times, causing me t lose almost all wrist rotation in my right forearm. So, I understand completely! From the time I was a young girl, I compensated by switching to the Continental Style for holding/using utensils. Problem solved! IDK if this would work for you (I realize your issue is one of strength, but perhaps switching hands, and using the fork upside down, would give you more control?) but if it does, "Continental Style" is a perfectly acceptable way to hold, and use, utensils.

Continental Style.jpg

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 4

Watched a rerun last night (sorry, don't know the title) where the most notable bride who may jog your memory was "Chancy", a former cheerleader whose entrance included her squad.  There was also a Peruvian bride.  The winner was Chantall who had a vintage theme.  I'm sure Chantall's husband was a lovely man and he did nothing to disprove that thought, but you could not deny that the guy was heavvvvy.  I mean, like ready for my 600 pound life.  She was probably a size 4 at tops.  Unusual to see such a sizable difference between the two.  Then my husband and I started to speculate that she was a stripper who found her sugar daddy!!  Reading too much into it?  Probably.  I'd just like to know their backstory.     

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

My eyes rolled all the way back into my head at Chancy the professional cheerleader.

They all seemed to be annoying so I did not stick around for the ending.  Peruvian bride seemed a little snotty with her comments but I was only watching for a bit.  I "think" she was all about decor.  Decor! Decor! Decor!!!  Good Lord it could be decorated by a grade A stylist from Tiffany's and they will find something wrong with the decor.

Just saw an old one.  Boston brides - the Harvard Ph.D/cheerleader won.  Didn't like her or her dress or her bacon bar.  There was Anjali - wanted to be a princess, wedding in a castle.  Her groom was a state trooper & his uniform looked sort of SS.  One had a wedding in a back yard - meh.  The other had her wedding in a maritime museum.  I think I liked her the best.  Some brides didn't like the 'dead' whales - sigh.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Just saw an old one.  Boston brides - the Harvard Ph.D/cheerleader won.  Didn't like her or her dress or her bacon bar.  There was Anjali - wanted to be a princess, wedding in a castle.  Her groom was a state trooper & his uniform looked sort of SS.  One had a wedding in a back yard - meh.  The other had her wedding in a maritime museum.  I think I liked her the best.  Some brides didn't like the 'dead' whales - sigh.

Yeah "Cami" was unforgettable - I feel like when I say her name it should be like Mr. Howe spoke on Gilligan's Island, kind of through clenched teeth...  such a snotty sourpuss.

Just saw the one where wedding photographer came in last - she kept saying since she was a wedding photographer she "knows how" to do a wedding. When she came in 4th she said it was "too cutting edge" for the other brides. Yeah way too "cutting edge" to have barely any food options, have to walk up & down stairs several times, be crammed in like sardines during a cocktail hour, & risk breaking something on her slippery dance floor. (eye roll)  I was very glad Jaclyn won (zoo bride but not 'blan' bride!) - she was nice & seemed fun.

Now rockabilly bride is on - she's a pretty girl but she just looks so tacky with all the boobs. The other bride in this one is the one who doesn't eat anything but chicken fingers & fries; she was nice enough though (she wins if I recall correctly).

Later 'glass slipper Danielle' is on - a classic.  Said she'd be "without words" if Kitty won. Well, Kitty won LOL. I still don't think Danielle was 'without words' though, unfortunately.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, gonecrackers said:

Later 'glass slipper Danielle' is on - a classic.  Said she'd be "without words" if Kitty won. Well, Kitty won LOL. I still don't think Danielle was 'without words' though, unfortunately.

Definitely a classic! Something tells me she's not on Kitty's Christmas card list.

Watched the Charleston brides today. I liked the first bride and her classy wedding. She had the Clemson tiger make an appearance at her reception. But then she had a meltdown when the fourth bride had "Cocky" the University of South Carolina gamecock at her reception. I mean she was seriously pissed. Fourth bride had the Halloween themed wedding where most of guests wore costumes of which I'm not a fan but she was so nice and fun loving and gave good scores to the other brides and everyone seemed to have a good time! So I was disappointed she came in second and Miss Hissy Fit won.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2018 at 9:06 PM, Beaner said:

Definitely a classic! Something tells me she's not on Kitty's Christmas card list.

Watched the Charleston brides today. I liked the first bride and her classy wedding. She had the Clemson tiger make an appearance at her reception. But then she had a meltdown when the fourth bride had "Cocky" the University of South Carolina gamecock at her reception. I mean she was seriously pissed. Fourth bride had the Halloween themed wedding where most of guests wore costumes of which I'm not a fan but she was so nice and fun loving and gave good scores to the other brides and everyone seemed to have a good time! So I was disappointed she came in second and Miss Hissy Fit won.

I agree about wanting the nice girl to win...she was really sweet and fun.  And I think her wedding turned out beautiful which is surprising given the theme--plus hers cost a lot less.  She did a great job.  I didn't get why that one bride was so bitter either--it just didn't make a lot of sense.  The older episodes are so much better than the new version--they move so quickly and have good pacing.  Since it has been a long time since I have seen these episodes I can pretend they are new.  lol

Edited by alexa
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, alexa said:

The older episodes are so much better than the new version

Is the "new" version still on?  I'm seeing Gypsy Wedding in that time slot (awful - don't watch).  I wonder if they are re-vamping the new version because it seemed to be universally hated.

56 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Is the "new" version still on?  I'm seeing Gypsy Wedding in that time slot (awful - don't watch).  I wonder if they are re-vamping the new version because it seemed to be universally hated.

They did seem to take it off the air, but I don't know if that means the show is gone for good or they are revamping.  

• Love 1
On 10/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, MrFluffy said:

What is with the bouquet pumping (like celebrating a hockey win)? To me, it seems so vulgar and unfeminine. Is it just me?

That move is so tacky. And these damn brides need to learn to hold their bouquets at their waists. 

• Love 4

Just saw the end of a rerun where the bride (Medina?) was getting chapped for two things:  friends serving (dressed in bridesmaid's attire) and plastic cutlery and plastic plates and glasses.  Now, if I were at a Legion Hall or a backyard reception I would not care about plastic as long as I could eat comfortably with it, meaning can I cut my meat?  So I would not care.  Now if I were at the Swanky Von Swanky Club I would expect glassware.

For the friends serving thing:  I gotta agree on the low score.  Your friends, attendants or not, are not worker bees.  Let them sit and and enjoy the wedding like everyone else.  I would not have hired an aunt/uncle with a catering business just for that reason:  You are a guest not a worker bee/employee.  Medina ended up in second after all that.

One reason I miss snarking on this show is the "sweetheart neckline for the buxom bride" gone wrong.  Girl, your boobs are pushed up into your neck.  Perhaps a different neckline is in order.

It just never fails to amaze me how many people in real life and on this show lay out $$$$ for a dress, limo and veil (things that serve THEM) but for guests they get friends as servers, cheap seats to sit on, cash bar and cheap food, things that are for the comfort of others.  Very telling about the bride..........(sorry, feeling extra snide today)  "Well if it is about me, let's spend the cash!  ME ME ME!!!!"

• Love 5

I never watched the new format. Doesn’t sound like I missed much.

For the old shows, since they’re only an hour, I laugh the hardest at the pettiest brides. Blan, Dracula Marie, even that cheating bitch Glass Slipper Danielle. All are comedy gold, Jerry.

Yesterday there was a “Top 10” marathon but they never explained which Top 10 they were showing (10 highest individual scores? Top 10 viewer choices? I dunno.)

Regardless, after enjoying 6 hours of repeats, I had to change the channel when the woman with multiple shades of purple hair but 3 almost identical ball gowns came on. She was the one who bitched repeatedly about having to choose between meat options at the buffet cooked by the brides’ families. The dinner was a home cooked gift provided by people who loved them. There were a ton of sides — no one went hungry — they just asked you choose an entree (which is what you normally get when it’s plated.) I won’t watch that episode again.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Yesterday there was a “Top 10” marathon but they never explained which Top 10 they were showing (10 highest individual scores? Top 10 viewer choices? I dunno.)

Regardless, after enjoying 6 hours of repeats, I had to change the channel when the woman with multiple shades of purple hair but 3 almost identical ball gowns came on. She was the one who bitched repeatedly about having to choose between meat options at the buffet cooked by the brides’ families. The dinner was a home cooked gift provided by people who loved them. There were a ton of sides — no one went hungry — they just asked you choose an entree (which is what you normally get when it’s plated.) I won’t watch that episode again.

Yeah, it was odd that they had the top ten marathon on with no explanation of top ten based on what criteria.

Was the one you are referring to the one where the bride complained about having to choose one of the meat options at the buffet catered by the other bride's family at the community college or the one where the bride complained about "only" being able to choose two out of the three meat choices offered at the very nice banquet hall reception catered by the other bride's family and friends? Both were heinous.

I miss the old format.

• Love 1

I kept checking the forum yesterday while I was watching the top 10 weddings. I've already  forgotten the ones from yesterday except a 21 year old eating and complainiing with he elbows on the table. The $75,000 wedding where step dad was catering.  Self proclaimed cougar and her cub.  Spare me.

Now watching the aquarium couple and Jehovah Witness who doesn't go into other churches.  I didn't think they drank and danced. All in all I'm amazed at food criticisms . It's bland, I'm not feeling it, should have had sauce. I don't do buffets.

Something tells me they are not as sophiscated as they think they are trying to pass themselves as.   

Edited by athousandclowns
Santa, new iPad please
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

All in all I'm amazed at food criticisms . It's bland, I'm not feeling it, should have had sauce. I don't do buffets.

I agree - when I am being offered a meal at Christmas, July 4th BBQ, Thanksgiving, I am one happy gal and unless it is riddled with hair I say thank you so much.  You only get one meat?  Yeah, whatever, just say thank you.  The chicken needs salt and pepper?  HIGH CRIMES!  I LOVE BUFFETS so again, I say thank you.  Some of the best food I have had was VFW buffets.  (My own first wedding, lol!)

Edited to add my second wedding was a buffet, too:  I am not a "plated meal" kinda gal.  Me, my friends and family like to heap the food on  - no little nugget of food the size of a half dollar, thanks.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 6

Not sure what criteria they used for Top Ten, since none of those episodes came even close to qualifying. Does anyone else go nuts during the Arizona episode where Annemarie (the shots bride) claims to be from London and extremely sophisticated (spoiler alert: she’s not even a little sophisticated), but what drives me insane is her bizarre accent that comes and goes. IS SHE REALLY FROM ENGLAND? If so, why was no one else have an accent? And why does she sound like Elmer Fudd? Is that what she thinks an English accent sounds like, which she must be faking and sometimes forgets she’s supposed to be faking? 

Edited by rlc
  • Love 2
On 11/24/2018 at 8:42 PM, jcbrown said:

Was the one you are referring to the one where the bride complained about having to choose one of the meat options at the buffet catered by the other bride's family at the community college or the one where the bride complained about "only" being able to choose two out of the three meat choices offered at the very nice banquet hall reception catered by the other bride's family and friends? Both were heinous.

Oh lord. It was definitely the second one in the reception hall. That she had two meat entrees makes it so much worse. Thank you for pointing it out!

If only the production company would do follow-ups. How long did some of these FOUR FANTASTIC MARRIAGES last?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

If only the production company would do follow-ups. How long did some of these FOUR FANTASTIC MARRIAGES last?

I am embarrassed to admit this:  but if I get a glimpse of a last name from an invite, a sign (gotta love those signs, lol) or someplace I try to look them up on FB!!!  The only one I can remember finding was the blond Steeler Super Fan with the weird haircut -  still married with two kids.  The more high maintenance brides - those I wanna find TODAY.

I know we snark, but I will always have a soft spot for the woman who wed at her local community college.  Everyone pitched in, the culinary students did the food, it was a thrifty yet classy affair, the love between her and her sons and her and her new hubby really shined through.  (Am I biased as I have two sons and recently wed for the second time?  Perhaps, lol!!)  But the other brides were so snotty to her and her $5000 wedding.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I know we snark, but I will always have a soft spot for the woman who wed at her local community college.  Everyone pitched in, the culinary students did the food, it was a thrifty yet classy affair, the love between her and her sons and her and her new hubby really shined through.  (Am I biased as I have two sons and recently wed for the second time?  Perhaps, lol!!)  But the other brides were so snotty to her and her $5000 wedding.

Wasn't she was the one I was referring to upthread? Where one of the other brides was clutching her pearls because she was limited to one meat at the buffet? 

I liked Community College bride but didn't she have those insanely long lines & then they ran out of most of the food?   I recall the flowers being beautiful so the college did a great job on that; the family should've made more food though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Wasn't she was the one I was referring to upthread? Where one of the other brides was clutching her pearls because she was limited to one meat at the buffet? 

Perhaps!!  I don't remember that much detail!!

2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I liked Community College bride but didn't she have those insanely long lines & then they ran out of most of the food?   I recall the flowers being beautiful so the college did a great job on that; the family should've made more food though.

Yes the lines were too long - a common mistake with buffets.  You can't invite over two hundred people and serve only two sides of one table - you need at least two tables and serve off four sides.  Running out of food was her own fault ESPECIALLY if you have servers to limit the amount of food.  We did not have servers and people piled on the food.  Good thing we were able to order more quickly!!!!

• Love 2
On 11/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am embarrassed to admit this:  but if I get a glimpse of a last name from an invite, a sign (gotta love those signs, lol) or someplace I try to look them up on FB!!!  The only one I can remember finding was the blond Steeler Super Fan with the weird haircut -  still married with two kids.  The more high maintenance brides - those I wanna find TODAY.

I hear ya! No shade from me especially when I see some of these weddings happened in 2011. COME ON. A quick Google search (ie, I don’t have info to explain or defend methodology) says the average US marriage lasts 8 years. Some of these people have to be on marriage #2 (at least!) since these were filmed.

11 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I hear ya! No shade from me especially when I see some of these weddings happened in 2011. COME ON. A quick Google search (ie, I don’t have info to explain or defend methodology) says the average US marriage lasts 8 years. Some of these people have to be on marriage #2 (at least!) since these were filmed.

I bet we would be surprised at some of the couples that have stayed together  - who knows.  Maybe a guy is willing to put up with a lot for an allegedly sexy hot wife.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:43 PM, gonecrackers said:

the family should've made more food though.

And more tables plus servers.  Waaaaay too many brides say "Oh my family and friends won't mind."  Yes, yes we will.  No one in my family minds a buffet but we do not enjoy standing in a long line nor being crowded to get there.  Same with a cocktail hour:  We want to sit and eat, not balance our food and drink.  Some people may be fine with standing at a table but please have a seat for everyone.  And please:  the cutesy (not cutesy) idea of sitting on bales of hay needs to end.  This is not the Ponderosa Ranch!!!

• Love 7

It's amazing to me what brides (and perhaps a stray groom every now and then) are willing to cut out for budget's sake. A bride will get three wedding dresses but think nothing of having a cash bar or appetizers only to save money. I think it's ghastly. If you can't afford more, cut down your guest list and really look at what you do not need, that does not include food and beverage for your guests. Sorry, it's a courtesy.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, cpcathy said:

having a cash bar

This continues to be a huge issue on a wedding board I was on last year, prepping for my wedding.  It is couched in "Well we don't want people to drink and drive" or "Well Uncle Dan will get blitzed" when it is really a reason to NOT spend on an open bar.  Folks, if people want to get blitzed a cash bar will NOT stop them.  Plus, who are you inviting?  Delta Omega Frat House?   Have at least beer and wine and a signature drink (that seems to be a thing now) and call it a day.  

But I agree - you wear two dresses, have a limo (those AIN'T cheap) flowers up the ying but a teeny tiny dinner plus a cash bar?  Plus eight attendants?  (that is a huge expense, too that people never realize until it is too late)

There was a woman on SYTTD who shelled out big $$$ for a dress but her reception was a cash bar AND NO DINNER.  Can I RSVP no any faster??

• Love 2

NO DINNER??? That's heinous.

Yes, I concur completely about being careful the guests you are inviting. Delta House? Nope, they can send a card. Your classier friends who will not get sloshed, but enjoy themselves nonetheless? Go ahead.

• Love 2

Way too many people have this "it is my day, my way" line of thinking when in reality, this is a CHOICE you are making, no one gets to fund it either through a "Jack and Jill Shower" (don't ask), a cash bar, a GoFundMe account to pay for the wedding or outright asking for cash for a wedding gift.  You want a party?  You fund it yourselves.  You can't afford it?  Oh well - go find a judge to marry you and go to dinner afterwards.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Way too many people have this "it is my day, my way" line of thinking when in reality, this is a CHOICE you are making, no one gets to fund it either through a "Jack and Jill Shower" (don't ask), a cash bar, a GoFundMe account to pay for the wedding or outright asking for cash for a wedding gift.  You want a party?  You fund it yourselves.  You can't afford it?  Oh well - go find a judge to marry you and go to dinner afterwards.

A friend of mine was invited to a wedding.  They waited and waited at the venue.  Apparently, the wedding party and parents had gone to a restaurant to eat!  There were only a few snacks at the venue.  

The cash bar doesn’t bother me.  I’m not keen on the piss-up at a wedding.  There’s usually wine at the table & no charge cocktails before.  (I have some older relatives who can’t control themselves around free booze.  One wife thought she would solve the problem by making her husband the designated driver.  Guess who was searching for a DD at leaving time?)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tanichka said:

A friend of mine was invited to a wedding.  They waited and waited at the venue.  Apparently, the wedding party and parents had gone to a restaurant to eat!  There were only a few snacks at the venue.  

Ugh!  A friend of mine was invited to a wedding where the whole bridal party went out in a "party bus" for AN HOUR AND A HALF while all the guests waited in a smaller, lobby type room with limited seating and no food or drink.  Some guests were in their 70's and 80's (the grandma of the groom was 95) and let's just say....many were pissed.

A cash bar doesn't bother me either although we hosted drinks at our wedding (first wedding was open bar, my mother turned 18 sheets of white, gray and blue when my my former in laws suggested drink tickets.  "What are we?  CARNIES??") as my second was a lunch and few people drank, the alcohol tab was very low.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I’m guilty of this too. Of the 10 or so brides I’ve found, only Alana (the bride whose missing bouquet delayed her wedding) was no longer with her husband. They do have two cute kids though.

10 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I’m guilty of this too. Of the 10 or so brides I’ve found, only Alana (the bride whose missing bouquet delayed her wedding) was no longer with her husband. They do have two cute kids though.

I have done this, too, but there was one couple on SYTTD where I was judging hard as sugar daddy/trophy wife, and looked them up. And the husband had died of cancer within a few years. That kind of cured me - I felt horrible.

Joy of Joy!  Guess who I caught the last fifteen minutes of last night?  Dracula Marie and her "It was ROBBERY!  IT WAS GRAND THEFT!"  Well Marie, call NYPD and report a crime, sister.  I looked her up on FB a while back and her and hubby were still married.  No kids, thank God.  How ANYONE sold her that horrendous dress is beyond me.  That was just beyond ugle, it was tacky and weird.  

Plus she had all those Halloween dancers and it was a big production  - not everyone is into black spiders, "Thriller" dancing and cobweb s at a wedding, Marie.  Beetlejuice was fine as a movie but not so much as a wedding theme.

• Love 4

Did anyone notice that the season numbers have changed? The 2018 episodes are now season 10, they were season 6. I’ve been keeping track of all of the episodes that air, so that I know when I can skip the ones that I’ve seen a billion times. I did notice before that season 4 had ones numbered up to episode 4-62. I guess that they shifted those episodes over to break it up into more seasons.

Edited by Deni

Good thing I never deleted this show from auto record.  New special holiday episode today on TLC.  They dropped the "four friends" theme too.  

ETA:  Can't watch the whole thing now, but from what I've seen, this episode is old school.  Yay!

Edited by ichbin
Addition
  • Love 3