Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, Straycat80 said:

This episode reminded me of that old reality show My Big Fat Redneck Wedding. I can’t believe the bride won who had no alcohol and the dirt floor in the barn. And the one (can’t remember names) had normal wedding food, potato’s, Mac and cheese, etc...and they thought it was too ‘fancy’!? 

No offense to anyone but I’ve heard in the southern states people will wear jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts and shorts to weddings as well as funerals. 

Not only in Southern states.  I went to a funeral yesterday and was appalled at what the younger people wore.  Super short bandage dresses, hot pants and midriff baring tops, very short skirts and too tight t-shirts and one guy in jeans and a t-shirt with a nasty graphic.  And this is in Pennsylvania.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Not only in Southern states.  I went to a funeral yesterday and was appalled at what the younger people wore.  Super short bandage dresses, hot pants and midriff baring tops, very short skirts and too tight t-shirts and one guy in jeans and a t-shirt with a nasty graphic.  And this is in Pennsylvania.

I work at a school and the two admin's were VERY firm on dress code:  No tennis shoes unless you are the gym teacher, no visible tattoos (please wear bracelets or a watch) no super skin tight bedazzled jeans on Fridays, no flip flops, no shorts, no deep scoop necklines, etc......I thought "We have to tell licensed teachers NOT to wear shorts and flips flops to school!"

On 8/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, Blissfool said:

The lesbian bride with the short hair looked stunning in makeup. No wonder the bartender sent her a drink when they were out on their date.

I agree!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

56 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I work at a school and the two admin's were VERY firm on dress code:  No tennis shoes unless you are the gym teacher, no visible tattoos (please wear bracelets or a watch) no super skin tight bedazzled jeans on Fridays, no flip flops, no shorts, no deep scoop necklines, etc......I thought "We have to tell licensed teachers NOT to wear shorts and flips flops to school!"

Amazing, isn't it?  Why are people so clueless?  I guess it's, "well, I'm comfortable, I can wear what makes me feel good, I want to be sexy".  I call it a total lack of respect for others!

• Love 3

No Plan B in case it rained because some venues require you to pay for them to hold a room just in case and I guess she didn't want to pay for it.  But I'm in New York/Long Island so that may not hold true elsewhere.    I'm going to a wedding the Sunday of Labor Day - 275 people.  Cocktail hour and ceremony are outside.  Bride had to book and pay for two rooms at the venue in case they had to move it inside.

• Love 3

I just watched the Kentucky weddings, and for a lot of it, I had to just shake my head in wonder.  There’s absolutely no problem being rural, or southern, or liking country music, tractor pulls and nascar.  But there is a problem with acting like you didn’t make it out of sixth grade, having even a tiny amount of manners and acting like you just got off the last bus from Deliverance.  Tayia and her Bubba are all that and more.  I have Southern family, in Kentucky to be specific, and they haven’t traveled much from their farm area, but they know proper respect and have manners and would never behave or dress like they just rode in on their Conestoga wagon.  

Except for the dirt floor wedding venue, which I thought was better suited for a hoedown rather than a wedding, the other three weddings were rather nice, considering they probably didn’t have much of a budget.   But Tayia was something else.  I wonder how old she is, because what she did was something you might expect from a 16 year old.  And if you want to change into something more comfortable, and knowing her dress didn’t fit her, she didn’t need to put on a 3 sizes too small tank top and icky jeans.  But she and her Bubba are definitely not representative of all Kentuckians. 

I think Rachel got jobbed, and I think the others ganged up on her for the loss.  But to be honest, it could have been a hoot to see Tayia on the vacation to Mexico, including watching them apply for a passport, getting on a plane, eating Mexican food and dealing with most people speaking Spanish. Talk about being out of their element. 

• Love 10

I'm so glad I found this site. I've been trying to find the episode of Four Weddings that had a really snarly, sore loser of a bride who didn't win. When I think of sore losers on 4W, I think of Vampire Marie, "I don't speak Greek" Heather and the final one I think is Gina from ...And a pizza delivery, but I'm not sure.  The bride had some sort of martini bar or a ice bar or something like that. When she lost, she said something like "play back the tape." She was really pissed. Any ideas anyone?

On 8/22/2018 at 5:58 PM, KLovestoShop said:

There’s absolutely no problem being rural, or southern, or liking country music, tractor pulls and nascar.  But there is a problem with acting like you didn’t make it out of sixth grade, having even a tiny amount of manners and acting like you just got off the last bus from Deliverance.  Tayia and her Bubba are all that and more.  

Yes and this could be applied to all regions of the country.  Like I have said upthread, I am a MN native and I could pull relatives from the southwest corner (farm heavy) or northern MN (resort and country living!) and they would have manners, grace and tact.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:58 PM, KLovestoShop said:

knowing her dress didn’t fit her, she didn’t need to put on a 3 sizes too small tank top and icky jeans.

Preach!!  Like she could have borrowed a dress.  But that tank top?  Oy.

• Love 5

I turned the show on a half hour late because of a WWII documentary that was interesting. Then, I tried to watch, I really tried, but it was so boring, I couldn't stay focused. I saw one bride shaking from the cold and everybody standing in a golf museum. Those of you who are still following this show, did anything happen?

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I turned the show on a half hour late because of a WWII documentary that was interesting. Then, I tried to watch, I really tried, but it was so boring, I couldn't stay focused. I saw one bride shaking from the cold and everybody standing in a golf museum. Those of you who are still following this show, did anything happen?

Two of the "best friends" had the same dress, except one ended up adding sleeves to it. Which caused drama for the bride who added sleeves to it (as her wedding was second). Added Sleeves bride critiqued another bride for having a Pad Thai station at her wedding because "it can be a little risky having random exotic foods at your wedding", and she proceeded to serve mac and cheese and chicken nuggets at her wedding. Added Sleeves Bride came in second. 

Shockingly, the bride with the "unlimited budget" (who still had a buffet supper) came in first while the bride who had a $10,000 budget came in last.

If Added Sleeves Bride hadn't made a big deal about "OMG IT'S THE SAME DRESS I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD COMMENT ON IT" I doubt anyone would have realized it's the same dress. Ball gown with some lace? Dime a dozen. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

The winner got a really bad edit and came off like a spoiled child. Her wedding had no budget, her Dad was paying for everything. I think she was pretty young. I can't really argue with her winning, because her wedding was the nicest. Her dress was beautiful on her; the same dress was uglied up with sleeves by the runner-up, and you couldn't tell it was the same. The winner definitely wore it better, because she's slim, and anything looks better. I just took a dislike to her.

Runner-up did the DIY thing with a country wedding. I liked that she put so much of herself into it, but some things just didn't come off in the large barn space. I loved that she used vintage mismatched china, though. Nice touch.

Brides 3 and 4 were my favorites in terms of seeming like nice people. Loved Bride 3's (Katie's) dress.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Shockingly, the bride with the "unlimited budget" (who still had a buffet supper) came in first while the bride who had a $10,000 budget came in last.

It might have been unlimited, but it was far from extravagant.  It was like saying I had an unlimited budget for decorating but then going to Big Lots to make my purchases.  The first girl's (foodie couple) wedding looked more expensive.

I don't buy these four meeting and hitting it off at the cupcake stand.  I suspect they were recruited at that bridal expo. It seemed like only two, at most had any possible connection outside of being on this show.

Buxom brides should stay clear of strapless gowns. 

Pad Thai is exotic in the Jacksonville, FL area? I doubt it. Some of the girls on this show are so complacent with their lifestyles. It's like they're scared to be curious or experiment with new things. Their loss.

Did someone intentionally choose the slowest horse in the barn to pull the carriage during that last wedding?  

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, ichbin said:

It might have been unlimited, but it was far from extravagant.  It was like saying I had an unlimited budget for decorating but then going to Big Lots to make my purchases.  The first girl's (foodie couple) wedding looked more expensive.

Oh agreed, hence the quotes around unlimited budget. Her wedding was nice, but I liked the wedding of the bride who came in third better. Though the ceremony place for the winning bride was pretty nice. 

Winning Bride reminded me of Heidi Montag in some of the shots. 

• Love 1

My favorite wedding was the first wedding, There was just something fun about them and she had my favorite dress. I love that they announced that their first date was basically a one nighit stand.

Of the women who had the same dress, I actually liked the look of the one with sleeves more.  The other bride might have had a better body but I thought the dress looked like it was wearing her rather than she wearing it.

1 hour ago, ichbin said:

Pad Thai is exotic in the Jacksonville, FL area? I doubt it. Some of the girls on this show are so complacent with their lifestyles. It's like they're scared to be curious or experiment with new things. Their loss.

I understood that.  Weddings usually serve food that is rather universal.  IIRC, they all ate the pad thai and liked it but there's a reason the pasta bar had a very long line.  If people hadn't had pad thai before, they were unlikely to take the leap at a wedding.

1 hour ago, ichbin said:

I don't buy these four meeting and hitting it off at the cupcake stand.  I suspect they were recruited at that bridal expo. It seemed like only two, at most had any possible connection outside of being on this show.

Oh I know.  I can't believe these women met at a bridal expo and the 22 year old daddy's girl formed an instant bond with the woman on her second marriage who will eventually have a family of six.

The prize makes me wonder if the brides have to submit receipts for their honeymoon and will get it covered.  The past few winning honeymoons were to Mexico but this one, where the winning wedding is the one where daddy said "whatever you want*" is to an Italian island?  I would think this is a more expensive honeymoon than the Mexican honeymoons. 

*Of course, unlimited budget could also be that the dad didn't want to share with the TV audience what he was willing to spend.

• Love 2

Which episode had the odd female minister who kept saying things like “ahhh” and “feel the relaxation” during the ceremony? Every bride commented how weird it was, I want to say this was in Arizona.

• Love 1

The premise that these 4 Floridians were friends because they met at a cupcake stand at a bridal expo was super thin, compounded only by the constant narration that they were wine afficiandos, when they clearly knew squat about wine.  They may all get along and talk to each other, but they aren't some kind of life long friends that have "put their friendship on the line" to compete.  But that is actually fine--I just wish TLC would toss the idea of the competitors being prior acquaintances altogether (along with the 2 hour runtime).

Katie, the foodie/first girl to get married, spent $320 per guest, which is a LOT, given that their food selections were just pasta and "random exotic" pasta (pad thai) in small portions.  I couldn't figure out where the money went.  Maybe the venue and dress?  But the idea that pad thai is some kind of exotic food makes me laugh; it wasn't all that random and exotic when my college friends and I would drive to Tillmans Corner, AL to eat it in the early 90s.

I still do not understand the participants' fascination with mashed potatoes in nearly every episode of this show.  Potatoes are cheap, easy to make, and ubiquitous.  Are these women otherwise so extremely carb deprived, that the simple sight of potatoes makes them have tunnel vision?  Are they reincarnated victims of the Irish potato famine?  Do they live somewhere that potatoes fall under some kind of strict prohibition laws?  I mean, yeah, people are gonna serve them because they're cheap and easy and apparently please everyone, but I'm kinda wondering if it is just the editors' little inside joke that they include someone in every episode gushing about the damn potatoes.  

• Love 18

I was so happy to see the show was back again but I was like, 2 hours? Seriously??!! And somehow I stayed up even though I had to go to bed. 

I actually thought the woman who did everything herself should have won. The carriage thing was hysterical but the way she did everything herself was very impressive. I felt like it really nailed the whole point of a theme because she did it so well. 

And the girl with the unlimited budget? Really? I was not impressed.

And I can't believe they both chose the same dress, that's really odd. And I def believe the last bride told her all about it and the "unlimited" budget bride got it second. I liked the way the rustic girl (sorry, bad with the names, haha!) made the sleeves and made it more her.

And friends for life? More like friends for the time being. The show totally encouraged them all to get together and then they could be on the show.

I'm actually surprised they all seemed to like the food mostly. The older episodes there was always a big thing about the food.

But no 2 hours! The hour format was so much better. I just don't care that much about the couples and their story. Show me the dress, the ceremony, and the reception.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lizzing said:

But that is actually fine--I just wish TLC would toss the idea of the competitors being prior acquaintances altogether (along with the 2 hour runtime).

I still do not understand the participants' fascination with mashed potatoes in nearly every episode of this show.  Potatoes are cheap, easy to make, and ubiquitous.  Are these women otherwise so extremely carb deprived, that the simple sight of potatoes makes them have tunnel vision?  Are they reincarnated victims of the Irish potato famine?  Do they live somewhere that potatoes fall under some kind of strict prohibition laws?  I mean, yeah, people are gonna serve them because they're cheap and easy and apparently please everyone, but I'm kinda wondering if it is just the editors' little inside joke that they include someone in every episode gushing about the damn potatoes.  

Agree!  I prefer strangers, and one hour was quite enough.

Mashed potatoes, Mac & cheese?  They’re ok, but going coo coo over them is mystifying.  I’ve never been at a wedding with mac & cheese bars or mashed potato bars, & I don’t feel I’ve missed much.

• Love 3

I liked the bride who came in 4th.  It seemed like she had nice things to say about all of the weddings, gave high scores, and was happy for everyone.  Can’t say the same for “I’m giving a low dress score because it’s my dress” bride.  

• Love 3

I liked the first bride the best.  Katie and her groom were very likeable.  I find it so sad that so many of today’s young people live in such a bubble when it comes to food.  Actually, maybe it’s only the brides they feature because if you go to any college campus the variety of food is amazing.  I just went to my alma mater and I was totally amazed by the food they offered:  all kinds of Asian, vegan, Arab, Halal, Kosher, Indian and a whole lot more.  These people don’t know what they’re missing. 

I was not impressed with Holly P’s wedding especially with this supposed unlimited budget.  Not much in the way of pretty flowers or other decorations, and in our area, top weddings do not have buffets, but full sit down dinners and an open bar.  

The other Holly’s dress fit her very badly.  Your bewbs should never look like they’re cinched to your chin and your flesh shouldn’t be plopping out. 

I could not stand Destiny.  Her Kartrashian vocal fry was irritating and her attitude left a lot to be desired.  But with that said, it was nice of her family to help with a lot of the wedding.  It does take guts to use breakable china.  Having an outdoor wedding and dragging a beautiful gown through dirt, water and mud makes me stabby.  Hair in the food?  Yuck. 

• Love 6

If Lisa Whelchel  (The Facts of Life) and Liza Weil (Gilmore Girls) had a baby, it would be Destiny ("Country Charm" wedding).

Destiny's vocal fry was ATROCIOUS. Her husband Shane must be either a saint or deaf to sign up to listen to THAT for the rest of his life...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Seelouis said:

I liked the bride who came in 4th.  It seemed like she had nice things to say about all of the weddings, gave high scores, and was happy for everyone.  Can’t say the same for “I’m giving a low dress score because it’s my dress” bride.  

Did you see her husband’s face in the bit at the end when they share the scores? So weird, but funny! 

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

If Lisa Whelchel  (The Facts of Life) and Liza Weil (Gilmore Girls) had a baby, it would be Destiny ("Country Charm" wedding).

Destiny's vocal fry was ATROCIOUS. Her husband Shane must be either a saint or deaf to sign up to listen to THAT for the rest of his life...

Vocal fry on steroids. I wouldn't be able to hang out with her for a minute, let alone marry her.

• Love 3

I am watching a lot of the old episodes on OnDemand and have been meaning to ask this. Do most weddings have a full-on theme. I have been to my fair share of weddings, and , other than a color scheme, I have not been to many with a full on theme. Just curious because over 90% of the weddings showcased have a theme.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I am watching a lot of the old episodes on OnDemand and have been meaning to ask this. Do most weddings have a full-on theme. I have been to my fair share of weddings, and , other than a color scheme, I have not been to many with a full on theme. Just curious because over 90% of the weddings showcased have a theme.

I've never been to a wedding with a theme.  Some have a color scheme.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I've never been to a wedding with a theme.  Some have a color scheme.

Sort of what I thought. Which begs to question, does the show encourage a theme that was not planned for before knowing they were contestants on the show? Wouldn't be surprising.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Agreed but that is rarely the theme.

My theme was "We Are Getting Married."  Personally, when I see a woman obsessed with Disney, wearing a princess gown, being a princess and serving cupcakes at a wedding reception I think I am in a child's birthday party by mistake.  Also, now showers need a theme, too!!  "Beauty and the Beast" and "Alice in Wonderland" seem to be biggies.  

• Love 4

Honestly, sometimes a theme works for me but most times the event loses all significance because it is lost in the theme. My problem with themes on Four Weddings is they usually overshadow the reason the couple is there. But, the more I watch I realize that the "theme" is considered part of their originality score. (I am not sure if I am making sense.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have been to soooo many weddings, even as recently as two years ago. I've never been to a wedding with a theme. Sometimes I think it's unique to this show, or brides do it to up their chances of getting on the show.  Although only one of the weddings in this episode really had a theme.

Also, there are themes and themes. A decor theme, like the Russian winter wedding in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, can be great. A pirate theme, Halloween theme, or any theme where the wedding party are in costumes is where I draw the line. That's the stuff of kids' birthday parties.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, peggy06 said:

I have been to soooo many weddings, even as recently as two years ago. I've never been to a wedding with a theme. Sometimes I think it's unique to this show, or brides do it to up their chances of getting on the show.  Although only one of the weddings in this episode really had a theme.

Also, there are themes and themes. A decor theme, like the Russian winter wedding in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, can be great. A pirate theme, Halloween theme, or any theme where the wedding party are in costumes is where I draw the line. That's the stuff of kids' birthday parties.

For me personally, since I don't like being the center of attention, I would never make my guests do costume . With that said (and maybe I am being a hypocrite), I don't consider black tie, period themes, or even something like Halloween please wear somthing orange, a costume.

I'm FINALLY almost caught up with my randomly-recorded one-hour episodes and watched (in full) my first two-hour episode (I'd tried twice before but kept falling asleep), the one with the sorority sisters in Texas (I'll gab more about that when I read other people's comments which I'd skipped until I saw it but my main response was four gorgeous weddings, not surprising with those budgets, beautiful brides, very non-snarky ... was I alone in being slightly surprised that NONE of them jumped the broom? Is that maybe a regional thing? Because we've seen it in so many of the African-American weddings on 4W: One-Hour Version ... oh, also, no mention of the fact that Bride No. 1 Sheneka is a huge video vixen YouTube star) ... 

BUT ... had to chime in on one thing I saw that had me almost falling off the bed, from one of the one-hour episodes (I don't remember which one because they all become a blur after a while) ... 

The ceremony featured a beautiful dog (a collie, I think? Looked like Lassie) as the ring-bearer. 

One of the guest brides noted: "He looks nervous!"

I cannot believe another one did not chime in with "But you can see in his eyes how much he loves them."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought I copied the quote up thread about dressing badly for funerals but I didn’t ? trust me, dressing like you’re going to a high school football game for a wedding isn’t just a southern thing. I’m from Indiana and it’s pretty prevalent here. My own brother-in-law wore jeans, gym shoes and a black knit polo to be a pallbearer at their grandmother’s funeral. My FIL and his brother were wearing jeans, sweatshirts and baseball caps. I went out and bought my husband a custom-tailored Michael Kors suit for the occasion so when I saw my in-laws dressed like they were going fishing, I nearly fainted.

To answer the question about “themes,” I was a wedding planner in my other life (starting in the early 2000s) and I only started to see “themes” after about 2008/2009, AKA the dawn of the Pinterest wedding. Before that it was just colors. Like if you picked navy for your color, that was the bridesmaids dresses, napkins, ties, etc. I distinctly remember when candy bars (like where you have several kinds of candy, lol) started showing up. Then it was purple. EVERY wedding in 2009 had purple as the color. I got so tired of seeing purple. 2010 was when the mason jar/pearls/burlap/“country chic” shit started showing up. When I quit wedding planning in 2016 it was still going strong. 

Back to the show, lol. The Kentucky brides were appalling. Except the blonde one, Rachel, maybe? Where they live (Dry Ridge) is definitely hickish but holy shit these women were acting like anything other than beige-colored food was poison. Does the chick who won the honeymoon (the one with the weirdly tiny mouth- all I kept thinking of was Alec Baldwin making fun of trump on SNL - “a mouth like a little tiny butthole!”) realize that she’s not going to be able to eat fried chicken, beans and Mac & cheese in Mexico everyday? They may be forced to eat *gasp* actual Mexican food. Taiya seriously acted she was about 12. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an immature person on this show and I’ve been around since dirt, remember the girl who ordered chicken fingers at someone else’s wedding? 

The previous 2 episodes, it was believable that they were friends before the show. The four Kentucky brides went to high school together and the four girls from Atlanta went to college together, with the exception of one who met another at work. These girls on the most recent episode? I think it’s a stretch to call them anything more than acquaintances. Like someone said before, I think they were recruited at a bridal expo. 

Holly P’s wedding was so boring and generic. For a supposed “unlimited” budget the flowers she chose to go with were baby’s breath, roses and carnations? Destiny was so annoying, but her wedding was the clear winner. In my years of wedding planning, I only saw maybe a handful of weddings where the theme was truly carried out throughout the entire wedding and reception. It was “unlimited budget” weddings that were usually the tackiest. Annoying as she may be, Destiny put her heart and soul into that wedding. I wish she would have taken her flower crown off though. She looked like a Starbucks cup. Her meltdown about the dress was kind of funny....first of all, the dresses looked nothing alike and more importantly, no one attended both of the weddings to compare. I may be in the minority but I thought Destiny wore it much better. Holly P of course wore hers with one of those tacky-ass rhinestone necklaces they upsell you on at the bridal boutiques. 

The first girl to get married (wine episode,) forgot her name, spent $320 per guest? That’s absolutely outrageously expensive. They must have spent tons and tons and tons on alcohol. The average plated dinner is about $70-$90 per person not counting the alcohol. Buffets are much cheaper. With food stations, there’s an extra added cost because you have to pay the chef per hour. I would always tell brides to skip food stations. Long lines and hungry guests don’t equal a fun reception. The other Holly seemed so laid back. Her reception wasn’t awful but it was a bit odd to have it at the golf museum. They probably didn’t intend for the cocktail hour to go on that long but they could have at least had more than 1 appetizer. Another thing I would say to brides, it’s called cocktail “hour” for a reason! Don’t make your guests sit around!! The key to a good party is to keep the flow of events smooth and timely. Photographers would get completely carried away taking photos before the reception. They probably were running behind and didn’t get to take pictures before the ceremony. Take some photos before the reception but don’t make people sit around for longer than the listed time for a cocktail hour. You can always steal the bride and groom away during the reception to take photos. We left during ours for about 45 minutes to take pictures and I don’t think people even noticed ? they were too busy dancing and drinking. 

Well next week’s episode is girls from a dance team. Should be interesting! 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, novemberjenny said:

Destiny was so annoying, but her wedding was the clear winner.

And I think Destiny lost by three points.  Her dress was scored three points lower than the winner's non-customized version.  That had to hurt.

• Love 1

Agreed Destiny was the true winner; she did a great job & her dress was more unique. Also agree the flower crown looked a little odd though; I just didn't like the way it was positioned on her head.

I did not like the winner; what a snot.

This is one that makes me wonder if the show pays for anyone who already set up a honeymoon, but for those who did not gives them a cost effective trip, like Mexico. That doesn't even compare to Italy, where this brat was going. I strongly suspect she would've had that honeymoon regardless, but got it for free because she won. She's the type who gets whatever she wants - good luck to her husband, who is now "Mr. Unlimited Budget" - for life.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, novemberjenny said:

I thought I copied the quote up thread about dressing badly for funerals but I didn’t ? trust me, dressing like you’re going to a high school football game for a wedding isn’t just a southern thing. I’m from Indiana and it’s pretty prevalent here. My own brother-in-law wore jeans, gym shoes and a black knit polo to be a pallbearer at their grandmother’s funeral. My FIL and his brother were wearing jeans, sweatshirts and baseball caps. I went out and bought my husband a custom-tailored Michael Kors suit for the occasion so when I saw my in-laws dressed like they were going fishing, I nearly fainted.

To answer the question about “themes,” I was a wedding planner in my other life (starting in the early 2000s) and I only started to see “themes” after about 2008/2009, AKA the dawn of the Pinterest wedding. Before that it was just colors. Like if you picked navy for your color, that was the bridesmaids dresses, napkins, ties, etc. I distinctly remember when candy bars (like where you have several kinds of candy, lol) started showing up. Then it was purple. EVERY wedding in 2009 had purple as the color. I got so tired of seeing purple. 2010 was when the mason jar/pearls/burlap/“country chic” shit started showing up. When I quit wedding planning in 2016 it was still going strong. 

Back to the show, lol. The Kentucky brides were appalling. Except the blonde one, Rachel, maybe? Where they live (Dry Ridge) is definitely hickish but holy shit these women were acting like anything other than beige-colored food was poison. Does the chick who won the honeymoon (the one with the weirdly tiny mouth- all I kept thinking of was Alec Baldwin making fun of trump on SNL - “a mouth like a little tiny butthole!”) realize that she’s not going to be able to eat fried chicken, beans and Mac & cheese in Mexico everyday? They may be forced to eat *gasp* actual Mexican food. Taiya seriously acted she was about 12. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an immature person on this show and I’ve been around since dirt, remember the girl who ordered chicken fingers at someone else’s wedding? 

The previous 2 episodes, it was believable that they were friends before the show. The four Kentucky brides went to high school together and the four girls from Atlanta went to college together, with the exception of one who met another at work. These girls on the most recent episode? I think it’s a stretch to call them anything more than acquaintances. Like someone said before, I think they were recruited at a bridal expo. 

Holly P’s wedding was so boring and generic. For a supposed “unlimited” budget the flowers she chose to go with were baby’s breath, roses and carnations? Destiny was so annoying, but her wedding was the clear winner. In my years of wedding planning, I only saw maybe a handful of weddings where the theme was truly carried out throughout the entire wedding and reception. It was “unlimited budget” weddings that were usually the tackiest. Annoying as she may be, Destiny put her heart and soul into that wedding. I wish she would have taken her flower crown off though. She looked like a Starbucks cup. Her meltdown about the dress was kind of funny....first of all, the dresses looked nothing alike and more importantly, no one attended both of the weddings to compare. I may be in the minority but I thought Destiny wore it much better. Holly P of course wore hers with one of those tacky-ass rhinestone necklaces they upsell you on at the bridal boutiques. 

The first girl to get married (wine episode,) forgot her name, spent $320 per guest? That’s absolutely outrageously expensive. They must have spent tons and tons and tons on alcohol. The average plated dinner is about $70-$90 per person not counting the alcohol. Buffets are much cheaper. With food stations, there’s an extra added cost because you have to pay the chef per hour. I would always tell brides to skip food stations. Long lines and hungry guests don’t equal a fun reception. The other Holly seemed so laid back. Her reception wasn’t awful but it was a bit odd to have it at the golf museum. They probably didn’t intend for the cocktail hour to go on that long but they could have at least had more than 1 appetizer. Another thing I would say to brides, it’s called cocktail “hour” for a reason! Don’t make your guests sit around!! The key to a good party is to keep the flow of events smooth and timely. Photographers would get completely carried away taking photos before the reception. They probably were running behind and didn’t get to take pictures before the ceremony. Take some photos before the reception but don’t make people sit around for longer than the listed time for a cocktail hour. You can always steal the bride and groom away during the reception to take photos. We left during ours for about 45 minutes to take pictures and I don’t think people even noticed ? they were too busy dancing and drinking. 

Well next week’s episode is girls from a dance team. Should be interesting! 

To be fair, I think Taiya graduated from high school in 2017, so she's not far from 12.  

• Love 1
On 8/26/2018 at 2:34 AM, Irlandesa said:

*Of course, unlimited budget could also be that the dad didn't want to share with the TV audience what he was willing to spend.

Until now I simply accepted the dollar amounts shown for each wedding as being what was actually spent.  I realized that I was ignoring the key word of "budget".   I guess this explains why I have sometimes watched the weddings on this show and wondered what on earth the money was spent on after hearing the brides' budget amounts.  

MY WINNING FORMULA

Theme: "I'm going to win this thing"

Wedding dress: a boring mermaid with sweetheart neckline and an obscene amount of sparkles.

Ceremony: The Sistine Chapel will be overflowing with tulle bows everywhere and every cut flower grown in Holland. I will make my entrance exactly on time. The ring bearer will not be a stupid dog. My winning wedding will be devoid of outdoor events.

Groom: A cardboard cut out will suffice.

Color scheme: NOT pink.

Food: Mashed potatoes, mac'n'cheese, pasta with bland cream sauce, chicken nuggets, meatballs, overdone steak, bacon and roasted vegetables. No spices!!! The food will be scalding hot, I don't want to hear complaints about cold food or there will be hell to pay. There will be one cook/waiter per person so that no one waits more than 5 minutes to eat.

Dessert: The Godiva bar. Thousands of Godiva chocolates to choose from.

Cake: There are never complains about the cake, I'm going to save a bundle by getting several trays of Deep'N'Delicious frozen cake, pile them up, top the mound with a wedding figurine and decorate with a few flowers made of frosting.

Venue: Guests will be instantly teleported from Italy to Versailles' Hall of Mirrors, which will be closed to the public for my nuptials. Since the competing brides are sure to find it too barren, I will make sure to have centerpieces so large and flower-laden that a crane will be needed to lay them out on the steel-reinforced tables. How will I pay for this? With the money I save on the food, of course.

Entertainment: Photo booth.

Drinks: Signature cocktail AND free shots, take that, bride bitches. I'm so winning this.

Music: No band. My DJ, David Guetta, will please the older guests by playing Elvis, Bee Gees and Michael Jackson before catering to the younger ones.

Party: My family is lame and doesn't dance, so I'm not inviting them. Instead, I will invite only professional dancers and rave afficionados. Anyone that doesn't dance will be quietly expelled by bouncers. Three hired Chippendale's dancers will drag the competing brides to the dance floor and entertain them personally all night.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 12