Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My sister had teal...the real thing as her wedding color in 1992.  She's hoping it's making a comeback in time for one of her daughter's to use it.

As far as the Wood bride winning, I thought maybe it was an accident.  I know they try to keep the brides from lowballing by having them rank the weddings.  I was thinking maybe a couple of the other brides ranked her high thinking no one else would do the same but it just pushed her to the top.

That makes perfect sense (all of it actually!) because teal was popular. I remember teal and hunter/emerald green were popular then. I wanted to use it with my wedding in '94, but it was day time in June.  So I paired peach with the dark green. And tell your sister it's making a comeback! It's already back actually. I absolutely love it. But even on this show I heard one of the brides say "she had a teal and red wedding".  It was turquoise.  Which turquoise and red make a fun combo. With teal, gold is popular with it right now (like that skirt I linked above).

Also, agree too on Wood bride and scoring. Good thinking.

I was watching one this morning from the first season (they were so low budget then). This party girl bride who had her wedding on a tiki boat was trash talking everyone's wedding and really trash talked the bride with the biggest budget/wedding for being too elegant. She got a little pissy about not being able to just carry around a beer in a bottle (I guess you're supposed to drink it out of a cup). Her wedding was tacky. Ladies taken down during bouquet toss. Wild dance floor.  It was interesting to see.

And bitch Danielle the can'ting glass slipper bride was on. I laugh every time. She just announces to the world that she's never been faithful until she met current boyfriend. Cue to a Larry King guy with greasy hair. And she's asking, "are you going to be my prince charming?" He was just like "yeah". It was SO odd!  You could tell she was forcing the whole scenes with him and pushing him around.

I was married 20 years ago and know things change but I don't understand the need for two full dinners either. Why can't you just have appetizers during cocktail hour and then dinner? These brides complain if a full dinner isn't served during cocktail hour. Also don't see the need for take home candy stations and photo booths; it just seems juvenile to me.

• Love 1

Tonight's episodes. I grudgingly agree with Mercedes' win. I loved her dress (not so much the burlap) and the ceremony was very personal. Great for her that she didn't do traditional things just because they're traditional. But when she was critiquing the other weddings, she was too critical of others' preference for traditional. To each her own, right? It put me off when she balked at Kelsey's vows.

Kelsey's wedding venue was unique, but the junk food spread before dinner was ugh. I think I'd be ill if I ate all that and then went go-karting. And then was supposed to eat dinner?

The Hawaiian wedding was sweet. I loved the place, so pretty, and I loved the couple. Not sure why the other three brides complained about the cocktail hour being dull. What do they expect - they aren't family or friends, so if they have no one to talk to, so be it.

Personally I think these wedding themes are getting out of hand. It's like everyone wants to make their wedding so unique that it ends up hardly being a wedding. And the food! All that food during the cocktail hour. I can only imagine how much of the dinner food gets wasted.

• Love 1
Personally I think these wedding themes are getting out of hand. It's like everyone wants to make their wedding so unique that it ends up hardly being a wedding.

I agree! I've talked weddings with my best friend before (I'm not engaged or actively planning one yet, but I watch all the shows) and I've told her basically this, that I don't get the point of having an over-the-top 'theme' wedding. Her response was, "Exactly! How about a wedding-themed wedding, like, 'I'm getting f*cking married' theme?"

So now, when the time comes, that will be my theme -- I'm getting f*cking married.

• Love 2

Really liked that Lindsey won. Although she had the kind of body that anything would look good on, her dress was expertly fitted; her hair and veil were nothing short of stunning. The venue was elegant, and I love vinyards for wedding settings(except the horrible Danielle's). The bride with the dancers would have gotten a higher score but the wedding was on a MONDAY. Enough said. The Italian bride's wedding was much nicer than the low baller's, I don't know what happened there, but I must say that for such a goodlooking woman, her dress was awful. I also thought that it was a generous gesture to have a room available for them to rest. I've seen the lowballers wedding venue before on this show. Thje other couple were both actors and so the ceremony was very theatrical, and the bride joined the band and jammed with her bass/ guitar-they won too. However, this bride's food was a disaster,( I would actually prefer a buffet than "family style"), looked like salmon and asparagus which are things that are tricky to cook well.Her dress was not good and if there is any time in your life to invest in a good teeth cleaning and whitening treatment, it's before your wedding.  Her wedding was the closest to a five, not the other women. The other episode where Mercedes won-did'nt like any of the other weddings at all really. To be honest, Mercedes was the best one, at least it looked like a rockin party. The burlap rope belt on her dress was a major fail, someone should have told her, or she should have listened.

Just watched the latest Seattle episode and none of the weddings particularly blew me away. But I do agree that the theme thing is out of hand on this show, so if there isn't a theme that's fine with me. 

Mercedes wedding looked ok. I hated the burlap on the chairs and I didn't understand why she was so into having those chair covers. THe belt on the dress horrible. The bride who got married at the drive in, why didn't they get a bigger tent? THat made no sense. And filling up on junk food at the cocktail hour was a bad idea. THey should have had a light meal then invited everyone to the concession stand for snacks and to watch the video. Hula bride's wedding was forgettable. I was aghast at the cost (5k), until I realized that they made the food borrowed someones house. I liked her dress. The uber Christian bride, well, don't flame me, but if you are going to have that much of an intense ceremony, you risk making people uncomfortable. Her reception looked elegant, but more cocktail party-ish, with the black and gold and it looked very dark, which was odd as they served no booze. I wonder if the bride herself abstained, because she looked like she was drinking at the other weddings. I thought her attendants all in different sequin dresses looked like a bling trainwreck. While I am not a fan of the matchy matchy bridesmaid dresses, she let them choose anything, style or colorwise aslong as it was sequined. It looked bad. 

Edited by poeticlicensed

So now, when the time comes, that will be my theme -- I'm getting f*cking married.

Okay, now I want you to get married and be on the show! Maybe we could arrange a marriage for you (all for my viewing pleasure of course:))

I haven't watched this show in forever so I was glad to see some new episodes. I, too, was glad Lindsey won, as she seemed by far the most pleasant. I'm always shocked at what poor losers the brides are -- they know that they have a 3 out of 4 chance of losing, and that the ratings from the other brides are pretty much a crapshoot, right?

My daughter and I laugh because if a bride doesn't have alcohol at the wedding, you can bet she isn't going to win. I mean, I like an open bar as much as the next gal (though I can't picture ever having more than two, usually one, drink), but sometimes the brides act like if they can't "get their drink on" they're just going to DIE.

Many years ago (almost 24!), my dad offered me 10,000$ to elope, and I think he was kinda serious:) I sometimes think I should double that offer if my daughter ever gets married! Although I may steal the "I'm getting f*cking married!" theme, because it would be such a classic. We could have, you know, flowers, food, maybe a cake, some family, a service. I mean, swoon! We would be original!

• Love 2

Is it me or are this season's brides being ridiculous in their low-balling? 

Regarding the Seattle bunch, I thought it was incredibly tacky for Hula bride to make her guests carry their chairs up a steep hill. 

I agreed with the guest brides about Christian bride's insanely good-looking group of friends. It was funny and weird at the same time.

Is it me or are this season's brides being ridiculous in their low-balling? 

Yes! It shocks me that the brides rave about the dress, the venue, the food, and look like they are having a great time, and then give the wedding a 5 or a 6! 

One thing I found odd about the brides of the Hawaiian wedding was how critical the brides were of having kids at the wedding! Were they not going to invite their own children?! I love the warm energy having kids at a wedding provides. And, from the footage they showed, the little ones were not disruptive. 

I am also glad Lindsay won! She was such a good sport and was so enthusiastic about all of the other weddings. I dug her positive energy! And, I love vineyard weddings. I think they are the perfect setting for laid-back nuptials! Wine and romance go so well together! I don't know what the colour-bride was talking about. 

I think circus bride won because of the variety of choices at the food trucks. Food seems to be the make or break factor. I don't think the brides should score based on the dresses, church, religion or flowers because those factors do not affect the guests being comfortable or well fed. Guests have the right to be comfortable and to be well fed if it's dinnertime.

I'm loving the rehashing of some past brides. Ones I recall:

1. Karen, who loved pink and champagne, had good food, and won. I recall the groom showing off his pink boxers.

2. The bride on same episode as Karen, who had delivery pizza and beer and had guests sitting on blankets. I think they all thought it was tacky.

3. Bride on same one as 1&2, who ran out of food and they had to get takeout.

4. Danielle, of course.

5. There was one bride who had only desserts, so I think they ordered pizza.

6. Steelers bride had the uncle who bragged about his cheesecake.

• Love 1

I remember that episode with Karen, the girl who ran out of food at her wedding really lowballed her -gave her a ridiculously low score b/c they did'nt realize that wedding vows are sacred and you're not suppose to make jokes at such a solemn occasion; I guess God gets mad at you and curses your wedding or something; she was a real bitch, Talk about your sore loser. I thought it was beyond tacky to have your guests carry their chairs up a hill. I also don't think that children below the age of 12y/o do not belong at evening wedding receptions where alcohol is served. I have been to a few weddings where someone's special snowflake ran amok unsupervised. If they're the bride/grooms kids or members of the bridal party, then they enjoy their meal and then leave so the grownups can party. I've been to a wedding where a 5y/o  repeatedly and loudly proclaimed how bored he was during the church ceremony, finally one of the bridesmaids went over and asked them to take him out, which they reluctantly did. Ugh.

Regarding little ones at a wedding: I think it depends on how it is handled. My best friend had a lot of children at her wedding (about 30) and hired babysitters for the night. It worked out great! She had a craft station set up for them and later on a movie in a quiet room for kids who were still there. I liked the personalized colouring books the Hawaiian bride did.

Yes! It shocks me that the brides rave about the dress, the venue, the food, and look like they are having a great time, and then give the wedding a 5 or a 6! 

One thing I found odd about the brides of the Hawaiian wedding was how critical the brides were of having kids at the wedding! Were they not going to invite their own children?! I love the warm energy having kids at a wedding provides. And, from the footage they showed, the little ones were not disruptive. 

Lol, right?! The guest bride will be like "I'm giving Kelly's wedding a 4. The ceremony was beautiful, her dress was amazing, the food was delicious and I had a great time dancing....but I'm taking points away because one of the centerpieces was slightly askew...." It's like WTF?! I think the brides are now hip to the game and know that low-balling the good weddings gives them a better chance to win.

I agree the girls were so bitchy about kids being at the Hula wedding. It seemed like a petty gripe, especially considering the event had a more casual, family party type of feel. IIRC, Hula bride herself had two children, so what was she supposed to do, have her kids there but exclude all the other kids in the immediate family?

• Love 5

I find it irritating on this show how brides who are spending some ridiculous sum of money on their wedding will then be like "we desperately need this free honeymoon." Like what? Maybe if you weren't so worried about impressing strangers, you could have afforded a great wedding AND a great honeymoon. 

• Love 3
I find it irritating on this show how brides who are spending some ridiculous sum of money on their wedding will then be like "we desperately need this free honeymoon." Like what? Maybe if you weren't so worried about impressing strangers, you could have afforded a great wedding AND a great honeymoon.

I am surprised at how many of them never mention a honeymoon after the wedding. I know sometimes people don't leave directly for the honeymoon, they wait for a myriad of reasons. But it seems like the honeymoon trip is becoming a thing of the past, at least if you judge by the show. I got married many decades ago and everyone I know went on a honeymoon. My daughter got married last year and had to wait 6 months to save up enough vacation time at work to be gone after taking off time for the wedding. 

But I agree, there seems to be way more (on the show at least) emphasis and money spent on the wedding itself than what happens after. 

I know. Sometimes I watch this show and think, why don't you take that money and put it in your kid(s) college funds? Why not go to a JP and then take the family to Disneyworld or something? I can see if you've got bucks to spare, the go ahead and have that bash.  Don't go on FW and poor me yourself when you lose, nobody feels sorry for you.  It is their ego that gets them on this show, not a desire for a honeymoon. Sometimes I just am astounded that people go on this show at all when their weddings are mediocre at best. Whose been blowing smoke up them where they would think they would be contenders to win a competition of creative or luxurious(looking at you every greek bride) weddings? Also I guess I'm not romantic but is it an in joke among production to have one of the bride's say on each episode. "I could see how much love there was between them", as the couple is saying their vows? Gosh, I guess that's the time to really look like you're into them- 

• Love 1

I agree that honeymoons don't seem to be as big of a deal as they used to. Since people are marrying later now, most couples have lived and traveled together for a few years, so it's not like a vacation is something new or exotic. This show is totally about ego and famewhoring.

Also, not for nothing, but most of the hotels featured on this show look two or three star at best. I don't get the vibe that TLC goes all out in giving away these trips.

On a funny note, my sister attended a wedding where they ran out of food halfway through the buffet line. The bride made the mistake of allowing guests to serve themselves, rather than have waiters dish out the portions. So naturally everyone heaps three times the amount of food on their plates than they'll actually eat, and it was gone pretty quickly.

When I'm bored, and when they don't mumble the last names, I track down the couples and often find their wedding websites.  On more than one occasion, the website has said "Susan and Bob will honeymoon in Upper NoWhere" and, when they go on to win, the "surprise" honeymoon is to Upper NoWhere.  That would explain how some couples win honeymoons to fabulous and expensive locations like Italy, while others go to generic all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic.  Because they have already planned and paid for the honeymoon.   Presumably their prize is simply reimbursement of what they already spent?  Of course it doesn't explain why the winning bride can't pronounce the name of the destination, as if she has never seen the word before. 

• Love 2

When I'm bored, and when they don't mumble the last names, I track down the couples and often find their wedding websites.  On more than one occasion, the website has said "Susan and Bob will honeymoon in Upper NoWhere" and, when they go on to win, the "surprise" honeymoon is to Upper NoWhere.  That would explain how some couples win honeymoons to fabulous and expensive locations like Italy, while others go to generic all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic.  Because they have already planned and paid for the honeymoon.   Presumably their prize is simply reimbursement of what they already spent?  Of course it doesn't explain why the winning bride can't pronounce the name of the destination, as if she has never seen the word before. 

hmm, that's interesting!

There was an episode a while ago where the honeymoon prize was an African  Safari. The bride had a WTF look on her face when reading it. I'm sure she expected a cookie cutter trip to an all inclusive in the carribbean. Let's just say her unhappiness at the destination was written all over her face. I, OTOH, thought a safari would be an awesome trip. 

• Love 1

Has anyone ever heard a first hand account from a bride on the show?  I would love to know the behind the scenes dirt - how far apart are the weddings (what if you weren't available on one of the wedding dates??), how much are they encouraged to bitch and moan, what is the real story on the "surprise" honeymoons....

I've seen a date on some of the weddings, on invitations or programs, and they weren't a long way off.
But with 4 weddings, there could be a good bit of time between the first and the last.
Fairly often you see a friend filling in for a bride at a wedding, usually blamed on a "family emergency," so that's allowed for.

At least in the US show, if there's a tie, they give both a trip.
I hate the Canadian way, where they make the 2 brides not in the running, pick the winner.  Cheap!

Ahh, Asmeret. lol. Another 4th place bride sucking sour grapes. She was the one who dropped her food-covered knife on Jorelle's dress so shouldn't she have gotten up to fetch the seltzer? Or at least she should've made an effort to help rather than say "See, I told you this seating arrangement was a bad idea!" But, hey. Her officiant was the King of Ethiopia's personal priest. That's a VERY. Big. Honor. Or so we were told.

I was surprised someone with the lowest scored food won. It seems bad food tanks the overall experience scores. Good for her, though I thought Jorelle would take this one.

• Love 1

There was an episode a while ago where the honeymoon prize was an African  Safari. The bride had a WTF look on her face when reading it. I'm sure she expected a cookie cutter trip to an all inclusive in the carribbean. Let's just say her unhappiness at the destination was written all over her face. I, OTOH, thought a safari would be an awesome trip. 

Ack I somehow just lost my whole post!  But anyway still wanted to comment on this. My husband pretty much can't stand this show but I had it on in the background while he was doing something else.  When the bride won the Safari I was like "Ohhhh I want to do that some day, it's on my Bucket list!"  I didn't even think he was paying attention but apparently he was just enough to hear (okay okay, I admit it, I was talking to no one in particular or maybe the dog at the time).  Even though husband and I have been together for about 20 years and married 13 he still gave me this "WTF" look, followed by "why would you ever want to go to Africa!  And no way could I sleep knowing all those wild animals were out there looking for us."  <sigh>....guess I'll have to get another crazy animal loving friend to go with me on that particular adventure. I would've been super excited about that trip.

I wonder, do they get to choose "cash in lieu of the prize" if they don't like the destination, can't get time off for a honeymoon, already had their honeymoon, etc? 

Ahh, Asmeret. lol. Another 4th place bride sucking sour grapes. She was the one who dropped her food-covered knife on Jorelle's dress so shouldn't she have gotten up to fetch the seltzer? Or at least she should've made an effort to help rather than say "See, I told you this seating arrangement was a bad idea!"

Oh my gosh I just rewatched and you're right, it was her. I know salt works wonders on lots of stains, as well, but on silk?  I don't think I'd have suggested that unless I knew it would work without ruining the dress. I agree with her that the seating (or lack thereof) was really bad, but still, offer to help the woman after you just dropped food on her.

You can predict who is going to lose by the number of times they proclaim in their THs that they are going to win. As soon as Asmaret (sp?) declared herself the winner, I knew she was going to lose Same with Rocker bride. She said she had the best wedding and was going to win. I knew once she said that she was a loser. THat left butterfly bride and the blonde. The butterfly theme was overdone, all the way down to the anesthetized butterflies. The blonde was probably the nicest of the 4, she scored the others high. I couldn't believe they were giving each other 5s!! But I have to say, barring an act of God or something completely out of your control, there is NO REASON to be 90 minutes late to your own wedding. It's just rude, esp if it 's because of photography. Just as an aside, I also thought that she was way hotter than her husband. And their cake was bad. I hope they didn't pay for that. 

Yes! I like when the high scorers win. And, if I got food on someone's dress, I would have been mortified. I would have helped get the seltzer and definitely would have insisted on paying for dry cleaning. 

I am hoping that the cake was made by a family member or friend. Otherwise, what a sad cake (although I did like the cake-toppers).

• Love 1

I guess I have a completely different take on things b/c the order I thought they should have won was Ethiopian bride, Rocker Bride, Butterfly Bride who was a real bitch, and then blond bride. Crazy, rude, and stupid to be that late to your own wedding. Also, that venue has been done before(and better), her food looked like crap, and I can't believe she got best dress. I assume a friend or family baked the cake, b/c WOW. This also ignites my "your precious snowflake is'nt adorable " at weddings ire. It's a sad commentary on manners(or lack thereof); when the bride has to interrupt her ceremony to tell you to get your meandering on the altar child in check. Butterfly/Dragon theme-for a kid's b-day party, not a wedding. She was supposed to be having passed canapes and finger foods, all of a sudden there was a buffet and Asian drummers. Yeah right. I feel the same about butterflies as I do fish in the centerpieces, not "classy" or original by any stretch of the imagination. Rocker chick's wedding, beautifully decorated space, elegant gown, food looked good, hot groom,-WTF happened? Low balled. The Ethiopian wedding was pretty spectacular. Food looked good, she looked good, and it looked like everyone had a good time. Last place? No.

• Love 1

I wanted rocker bride to win, but was OK with blond, but didn't realize how late she was.
On the other hand, since Ethiopian bride's wedding was 2 hours long, she had a lot of nerve to complain.
Ethiopian bride was bitchy, as was butterfly.
I wonder if that was why Ethiopian bride had low scores, because her food was liked by all, I thought.

And the butterfly bride was 38, too damn old to have a theme like that.

I hated it when the let the butterflies out on the roof, because I really doubt if they live that high.  I only see them within about 4 or 5 feet from the ground.  I was wondering if they survived.
One thing about the winner, I think her wedding was $13,000, one of the cheaper ones.  So the cake may well have been made by a friend.

I also liked the Rocker Bride! She had such a great spirit about her and was so enthusiastic about all of the other weddings. She was a great guest and I'd have been happy for her to win.

• Love 2
I hated it when the let the butterflies out on the roof, because I really doubt if they live that high.  I only see them within about 4 or 5 feet from the ground.  I was wondering if they survived.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but a few years back I visited a butterfly farm. Apparently butterflies only live for a maximum of two weeks (they are also always drunk because they eat fermented fruit and that's why they fly all over the place). So they might not survive that high up, but they don't live for long periods of time either (but still, they shouldn't have been released that high up if they could not fly back down). 

Has anyone ever heard a first hand account from a bride on the show?  I would love to know the behind the scenes dirt - how far apart are the weddings (what if you weren't available on one of the wedding dates??), how much are they encouraged to bitch and moan, what is the real story on the "surprise" honeymoons....

Quof, let's be friends, haha.  Cause I totally do the same thing sometimes. I Google these people.  Stalker-ism is my specialty.  I'm going to have to find it, but I have found 1-2 blogs online that talked about filming this show. Let me see if I can find it.  I'll also be back to talk about the last few episodes. Off to research!

• Love 1

You do that, ShaNaeNae, because I know we could have done a better bests and blunders.

That was a poor excuse for a show, looked to be thrown together in about 15 minutes.
They didn't have the "God bless 'merica" drunk bride!

I'm sure you remember more details than I do.
Oh, and that trashy gown bride.  I remember she was Greek Orthodox, because I was betting the priest was fit to be tied when they left, and he got the first full look at it.

• Love 2

I know, auntjess!  They don't know by now to call us for their "Best Of's" shows? Clearly we could have schooled them!

Found the links, so happy reading.

First is Kristyn.  She was on "...and a Mechanical Bull".  She had the Yankee themed wedding.  And had that brat Taylor who was the Event Planner and didn't tell them. And another bride had a social media wedding and another had a scavenger hunt on the beach.  I enjoyed reading it.

Then Shaunna.  Her episode doesn't show as often, but I've seen it a few times.  It was "...and Men in Kilts".  That was her wedding, it was a Harry Potter like wedding and her husband was like Scottish or something.  There was also a big old black girl who wanted to be a princess and wore a strapless gown and her double MM's were about popping out.

Lastly, I don't have a link but I did come across someone asking about doing Four Weddings on a wedding message board.  Someone came on and said her friend did and hated it.  She said the guest brides were mean to her, were total bitches, picked on her wedding and was going on and on about what an angel her friend was and didn't deserve the treatment.  Finally comes out, her "friend" was Anitra.  The bitch of the New Orleans wedding (mentioned upthread) that her guests kept pushing the other brides off the dance floor and had a stampede over the Kings Cake and hoarded them.  Poor Anitra.  Pfffttt.

• Love 1

Poor Anitra. Those Kings cakes were just glorified donuts. Watched the bests/blunders show. I often wonder if that woman who had the really expensive Halloweenish wedding who was all sour grapes at the reveal is transgender?  Unless, it was on another show, where was the unity cocktail? Every time I see the "Cougar" bride, I think green card marriage. Agree,that it was poorly done; even the edit sucked.

Omg, a safari?? I know several people who have gone (separately from each other) and I don't think there are 3 star safaris. Everything is first class all the way. Luxury tents, Sherpas (or whatever they're called there), plentiful booze, chefs. And then, of course, there are the animals. Everyone has come back astounded by the experience. If I had the money I'd go in a heartbeat.

I found Asmeret's twitter (asmeret89) and she said all the brides said the winner had the worst wedding but her comment was the only one aired. She's been gracious to criticism. I hate to think I fell for bad editing.

• Love 1

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but a few years back I visited a butterfly farm. Apparently butterflies only live for a maximum of two weeks (they are also always drunk because they eat fermented fruit and that's why they fly all over the place). So they might not survive that high up, but they don't live for long periods of time either (but still, they shouldn't have been released that high up if they could not fly back down). 

I know, makes me sad!  I had thought about butterflies for my wedding (not as a theme, more as a post-ceremony thing) but I read about how many people freaked out because the butterflies were dead on arrival, had to be dumped out of the boxes and revived, got sat on during the ceremony, or were swatted to death when a guest panicked about a bug landing on them.  We went with rose petals instead. The fish in vases have always bothered me because I knew they were basically doomed right away, but before researching it I figured the butterflies had a  chance.  I just can't handle the idea of of "yayyy we're married, now let's kill some animals!" 

Omg, a safari?? I know several people who have gone (separately from each other) and I don't think there are 3 star safaris. Everything is first class all the way. Luxury tents, Sherpas (or whatever they're called there), plentiful booze, chefs. And then, of course, there are the animals. Everyone has come back astounded by the experience. If I had the money I'd go in a heartbeat.

I found Asmeret's twitter (asmeret89) and she said all the brides said the winner had the worst wedding but her comment was the only one aired. She's been gracious to criticism. I hate to think I fell for bad editing.

That's good to know about Asmeret. Maybe it was just bad production/editing - it's always so hard to know.

As far safaris I've known a few people who went on some that were definitely not as fancy as what you're describing but still sounded amazing!  I wonder if they mostly try to stick with "beaches, sun, ocean!" on the show and maybe made a mis-step on this particular prize?  Personally I'd love it.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

Watching the Pittsburgh episode, it suddenly hit me what bugs me about these theme weddings. This is the kind of stuff you do for a kid's birthday party. I don't see the necessity at a wedding. I so much prefer the ones where there's a nice place decorated with flowers, lights, and your more traditional items. Don't need fake blood, cobwebs, sports memorabilia, and the like.

I'd say the best wedding won. The travel theme wasn't too forced, and it was at least pretty to look at. The ceremony was lovely, the reception space was very nice. BTW, I hate how churches have become "venues" on this show. It's a CHURCH, the traditional place for a religious wedding. Sheesh.

I did like the one bride's Grecian style dress and headpiece, so simple yet beautiful. But a sports stadium as a wedding venue just doesn't do it for me. I don't get the big attraction. They aren't attractive spaces. The bride with the Friday the 13th theme had a nice ceremony in a simple, pretty church. Too bad the theme took over the reception. The last wedding scored points because it was obviously a labor of love for the couple, but again, their sports theme was more reminiscent of a kids' party than a wedding.

The Seattle episode had the best group of weddings I've seen. Really, any one of them could have won on another show. I'd give it to Heather because she had the most beautiful wedding venue I've ever seen, and she made a gorgeous dress that looked great on her. The only slight misstep was the plastic dinnerware, very out of place in that manor setting. I did really like Harmony's wedding - loved loved loved the vintage dress, and the decor had that personal touch. I even thought the reception venue, though slightly crowded, was charming. The country-chic wedding was also very nice - dress that looked perfect on her, great reception space, food looked delicious. And much as I wanted to hate on the bride whose fiance said she had an unlimited budget because she deserved the perfect wedding - her wedding was almost perfect. Except for the porta-potties. All that money to spend, and she picks a place without bathrooms? Just no. I did really like her dress, not your usual strapless mermaid number, and the flowers at her wedding were spectacular.

Most of all, it was nice to watch an episode with four wedding-weddings, nary a theme in sight.

• Love 1

One thing that annoys the heck out of me is during the summation at the end before the reveal is all the fake giggling - just can't tolerate. And I agree about themes, why are "wedding" and "marriage" not acceptable themes?

Editing to say I read the blogs about the brides' experiences with the show, so I understand that a lot of what annoys me about this show is what they are told to do and I guess anyone with "wedding" or "marriage" as a theme wouldn't be chosen to be on the show.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 1

Imagine my surprise upon hearing a familiar voice coming from my television during the first wedding and to look up and see William (Billy) Curtis officiating the wedding. He's one of my Bishop's best friends and comes to our church twice a year.  He's one of my favorite preachers.  The other brides were right, though - he was kinda talking over the bride and groom.

BTW, I hate how churches have become "venues" on this show. It's a CHURCH, the traditional place for a religious wedding.

True. but sometimes they're chosen just for looks, rather than any connection the bride or groom has to them.

The Friday the 13 reception was pretty gross, especially to someone like me, who turns her head from Visine commercials.

I loved the Pittsburgh RR terminal as a venue, and was glad that she won, but also a little sad that it wasn't still a place filled with trains.

Again, the Seattle brides bear up under things that have had others gnashing their teeth and tearing their clothes.  Plastic utensils!

I ended up wanting Jamie to win in Seattle.  At first, I was agains her, with her spoiled me attitude, but she really wasn't like that at the weddings, and was pretty kind in her remarks.

I am so sick of these sports themed weddings, but if you are going to do it, here's a hint-unless you're a DIY craft master; do not showcase your amateur efforts at your wedding.  I loved the train station wedding, she had great taste, I do agree that the minister clipped the vows in a way that made me wonder if he was'nt late for an appointment elsewhere. I did'nt care for her dress all that much, but at least it wasn't as bad as that strapless greek number on the stadium bride. If a "friend" helped her pick out that dress-shame on you.That dress highlighted her flat chest and very thin frame in a way that just was not flattering at all. Did'nt like the Fri the 13th bride,, the halloween/goth thing has been done before, and much better. I do think that her church was simple and beautiful.

The Seattle brides were all pretty cool- good people there b/c tthis is the second show that featured that area and I liked them all. The bride that won-I was just thrilled for her, and the dress she made was stunning. The venue was pretty and the food looked good, I was glad to see the groom looking so great at the reveal. I have been to functions where they have used porto-potties, and let me tell you, there is a variety to choose from today. If I went to a wedding that had the cheap ass ones that bride had, I would have ducked out before using one. Where was this spectacular place that did'nt have restrooms?  I really liked the blonds wedding, a family member must have contributed the flowers gratis b/c that was alot of flowers for what her budget was. Her food looked great, sometimes the best weddings have the simplest food. I thought her dress was beautifully fitted.

As to the flowers, I thought at the beginning of the show, she mentioned going to the flower marts.
The potties seemed rather close, and I can't remember now what her venue normally was, but surely they could find a discreet place for them.

And two of those brides were painfully thin, and would have looked better with something covering at least some of their arms.

I ended up wanting Jamie to win in Seattle.  At first, I was agains her, with her spoiled me attitude, but she really wasn't like that at the weddings, and was pretty kind in her remarks.

She was much nicer than I expected her to be from her intro package, much more generous in her comments about the others' weddings too. I really liked her wedding except for the aforementioned sanitary arrangements. All episode I was distracted because she looked like a darker-haired Jennifer Aniston.

And two of those brides were painfully thin, and would have looked better with something covering at least some of their arms.

Agreed! One of the brides who wore a strapless dress was completely skeletal and really would have looked better with a dress with something over her shoulders.

Edited by jcbrown

Just catching up on last weeks episodes. I actually loved all the Seattle weddings. Any of them could have won and I would be cool with it. That venue that the winning bride had was GORGEOUS. 

The Pittsburgh weddings were meh, except for the winner. But very skinny bride should have worn a dress with straps. That dress made her chest look even more emaciated. Also, why would someone have a wedding in a stadium if you aren't a fan? I realize the view is nice, but 1) there are other places with nice views, 2) stadium rooms tend to be pretty stark so they need a huge amount of decoration, plus they are usually huge, so unless you are having 200+ people, the rooms swallow the guests. Friday the 13th theme did not work. Just randomly throwing a bunch of halloween decorations from Party City around and have some guy walk around with a hockey mask on doesn't make a theme. With a theme like that, you either have to go all in, or it doesn't work. 

• Love 1

The brides in the first episode last night were pretty blah. None of the weddings really caught my eye. They sure handed out some low scores though! Wow.

I liked how the second episode really showed a variety of weddings and the themes weren't over the top. I was glad the Melissa McCarthy look-alike bride won (cannot for the life of me think of her name). She seemed fun and like she was game for anything. 

The young bride on that episode looked like JWoww and Susan (I only remember her name because that is my name) looked like a cross between Lea Michele and Chrissy Teigen. I felt bad that Carolyn's wedding seemed so scattered. I get that she wanted her kids to be part of the ceremony, but to just completely be running around and uncooperative would have kind of taken away from the ceremony for me. Her reception was kind of strange how the people just plopped down pizza boxes and 2 liters on the tables.

Finally, here is an article with an interview with Crissy from the Charleston episode. Worth a read... http://tvruckus.com/2014/09/12/preview-four-weddings-in-charleston-bride-crissy-exclusive-interview-video/

Thanks for posting that interview link. You know, it made me realize that these couples, by agreeing to be on the show, have made their weddings into reality TV. I mean I knew that, but when she described the process of guests signing waivers and talked about the cameras not being obtrusive...it crystallized that aspect in a way. Would that make your wedding feel more special when you look back on it? Or would it take away the specialness and make it something other than a wedding? Can't believe I never thought about this angle. I do think it's a bit rude not to tell people they're going to be on TV until the day of the wedding.

As far as last night's shows, I wondered about the two mascots. Was that a case of copycatting? It's such an unusual thing to do at a wedding. I missed a lot of that episode, and only saw the Hallowedding in full. Not my taste at all. You can throw a Halloween party any year you like; why co-opt your wedding that way? The whole OTT party theme thing just seems so immature to me. A wedding is a grown-up thing, beyond such trappings. Plus, I think it's a burden for guests to have to come up with costumes.

The NYC show had two weddings that could have won, the first and the third. I think the right one won (Michelle). I liked her dress, and she had the best reception space. The dance in the falling snow was beautiful! The food looked great, but waaaaaaayyyyyy too much! The appetizers alone at three of these weddings could have made a meal. I'm sure there was a lot of food wasted. Her only off-note was the pause to take it all in. You can do that without making a big announcement about it.

The runner-up (forget her name, fairytale theme) was also quite nice. Again, a big budget and it showed, but nothing was overdone. That IMO is how you do a theme (if you have to have one). Nothing too overt and stagy.

The Jersey Shore wedding was just blah. The bride looked beautiful, but everything else was fairly standard. I hated the reception uplighting and the color-changing.

The Broadway wedding was sweet, and heartfelt, but I don't know why she signed up to compete on this show with a pizza budget and a dry wedding. I have nothing against either of those, if that's what you want and can afford. But you have to know how it's going to look compared to the others. Also, no matter what your budget, it is tacky to put 2-liter bottles of pop right on the tables, and to server pizza straight from the box. As far as their kids, they were adorable, but there needed to be a close relative wrangling them after the procession. I was cringing waiting for her scores.

Speaking of scores, what is up with the edits when they do their critiques? They love the dress, the vows, and they had a great time dancing, but the table decorations weren't good enough so they're giving a 4. Stuff like that. This was the lowest scoring show I've seen. The Jersey Shore bride, especially, was much too harsh in her comments.

I don't remember who had the scavenger hunt? I groaned when I heard it, but in that setting, it actually looked like a fun activity that worked pretty well. If you have to have activities, this one seemed pretty good.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2