Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay!  I have discovered new vistas of trash television that doesn't involve sexual assault!  I've seen three of these, and while some of these brides seem to be just into having fun and playing the game, some of them -- OMG.  My favorite hate object so far is the "cake bitch."  I'll tell you one thing, if I were young and watched this show, my goal would be to have a wedding anywhere BUT a catering hall.  Maybe it's just that I don't like loud music, dancing, and mediocre beef dinners, but considering that this is supposed to be the once in a lifetime "special day", almost all of these weddings have a "cookie cutter" feel.  I don't care if you have ladies with tables as costumes and cheap chocolate treats, or a "Viennamese" table (that was hilarious) or a drunk pirate or whatever -- they all seem pretty much the same to me.  

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I love it when they only thing they can say about a bride's dress is "It fits her perfectly". Yeah, no sh*t, its supposed to! Why is that a surprise to anyone? Its supposed to fit well!

I think though, that if I were on this show, it would probably break my heart to come in last on the dress category.

You wouldn't believe how many dresses didn't fit right in the Canadian ones. Too short, too long, too tight, too loose; even a veil that didn't match (white veil/ivory gown) - I was really surprised how often it happened - & those were the weddings trying to win a competition!

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

You wouldn't believe how many dresses didn't fit right in the Canadian ones. Too short, too long, too tight, too loose; even a veil that didn't match (white veil/ivory gown) - I was really surprised how often it happened - & those were the weddings trying to win a competition!

I don't think I've seen a whole bunch of the Canadian ones I hear so much about. I love that TLC has been running them, I've got my dvr programmed to record all and there's been a bunch I've never seen.

I watched one with the Ethiopian couple, 800+ guests at $110,000. Easily the biggest wedding I've seen on this show.  It was a buffet style dinner too and I thought to myself how do you herd 800 people into a buffet line? Not to mention that the guest brides LOVE to complain when they have to stand in a line.  

Just saw the pizza/2 liters wedding. Wow, that was LAME! There was no effort to make it nice. Disruptive kids. Even the pizza was cold. And bride gave the other weddings very low scores. Glad she came in last!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Beaner said:

Just saw the pizza/2 liters wedding. Wow, that was LAME! There was no effort to make it nice. Disruptive kids. Even the pizza was cold. And bride gave the other weddings very low scores. Glad she came in last!

Dorinda would have made it nice.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Beaner said:

I learned here about this wedding and was glad it was finally on again so I could see it for myself.  Wow...it was like so much attention was paid to the Broadway aspect of the theme that the fact guests would be expecting to be fed was totally forgotten.  To be fair, those six young kids between them looked like it would make planning something as mundane as a trip to the grocery store a challenge.  Still, it seemed worse than a poorly planned kid's birthday party when those two liters of soda were delivered to the table.   

I also caught the Miami wedding episode where one of the losing brides said she was disappointed she lost (came in last) but was okay with the decision as long as Jessica didn't win.  That one was a puzzler because Jessica (blonde, nautical theme) was never shown being anything other than pleasant and well-mannered.  Would like to know what that was all about.  

Another seemingly bitter loser was the professional event planner at a New York area episode who had the leprechaun mascot at her wedding.  She said the others judged her unfairly because they knew her profession. I felt sorry for the three other brides who had to attend the other weddings with that her because she seemed rather sour at everything other than her own event.  

There was a Boston area episode the other day when the winner surprised me.  She was a Harvard grad student who seemed miserable at all the other weddings other than her own.  I thought for sure her attitude was going to be reflected in her scores.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I also caught the Miami wedding episode where one of the losing brides said she was disappointed she lost (came in last) but was okay with the decision as long as Jessica didn't win.  That one was a puzzler because Jessica (blonde, nautical theme) was never shown being anything other than pleasant and well-mannered.  Would like to know what that was all about.  

There was a Boston area episode the other day when the winner surprised me.  She was a Harvard grad student who seemed miserable at all the other weddings other than her own.  I thought for sure her attitude was going to be reflected in her scores.  

I just deleted that Miami episode as well. Low class brides, except for the nautical bride. One had her wedding in a strip mall and was an hour late.

I remember that Boston bride, seemed nasty as well. She won the other brides over ONLY because she had her sick dad walk her down the aisle, when no one thought he would be able to. I notice when someone has a heartfelt moment like that they usually win.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I don't think I've seen a whole bunch of the Canadian ones I hear so much about. I love that TLC has been running them, I've got my dvr programmed to record all and there's been a bunch I've never seen.

Oh wow; so many bitchy brides on those shows. I'm not sure they got the memo that they would be on TV saying nasty things about someone's wedding.

I hope they'll run them again as it would be great snark material here.

• Love 1
(edited)

My people!!   I love to hate on this show.  I mean.....it is bad.  I am getting re-married in October and I can't help but chuckle at how I would come in last on this show:  11am wedding, outdoors, lunch reception with no drinking, no music, no dancing, no photo booth, no chocolate fountain, no cocktail hour.....you get the idea.  Plus; NO THEME!  The last time I was at a theme party it was when my younger son turned eight.  

The reruns on this week:  Harvard bride was catty and rude, I did not like that she came in first.  It always bugs when anyone chaps on the inside of a church:  "It is so plain!"  Well most churches have VERY strict guidelines on what you can and can't do, so deal with it.  Plus...that is their CHURCH!  Leave it alone.  Sure Greek Orthodox does not recite vows....so what.  That is their thing!

Steak is meant to be consumed rare (imho) and how about saying thank you for the free meal?  Also, those gluten free/vegan/dairy free brides have go to GO!  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4

I think snarking on the church décor is an easy way to lower points.  Even if a church lets you put decorations in it, sometimes they have to be GONE within minutes after the ceremony, who's going to do that work? I like to say, in my best Santino Rice imitating Michael Kors voice, "There's too much SHIT in that church!"

Watched the Soda bride again, can't believe she gave one wedding a three, then said it was not competition for her wedding! What what what?

• Love 1
(edited)

Since we have lots of food allergies etc here I understand the gluten free/dairy free brides, & vegans/vegs all have their preferences. To me the issue is, they've gone on a show to rate people's weddings, & of course food is front & center. Personally I don't think it's fair to the other weddings for them to do a show like this, because one can't truly rate the food fairly. It's probably easiest for vegetarians, since they're not as limited, although I have seen some vegs diss a wedding without enough non meat choices. But the more one doesn't eat, the more difficult it is to rate the food fairly. But that goes for those picky eater brides as well - & I've noticed those are the kinds that tend to like fast food & junk, so they shouldn't be rating food either.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1
(edited)

Per the gluten free/dairy free etc brides:  I get there are legit food allergies.  My sister inlaw is GF per medical issues.  It is when the GF bride is so whiny about it!  Look lady, you are a guest here, angling for a free honeymoon....shut it.  I myself, don't drink.  I would be happy as long as there is a ginger ale or cola for me.  

Per the food:  does anyone remember chicken fingers bride?  Super cute, long blond hair but she admitted she was a picky eater.  Her reception food was for a ten year old's birthday party!!  Chicken fingers, french fries and kid food!  Her ceremony was surprisingly religious and the other brides snarked that she said the word "obey."  Again, it is HER wedding.  

Soda/Pizza/Broadway bride:  Yikes.  Between her and her new wife they had SIX young children.  That is A LOT of noise and distraction during a ceremony.  Plus her dress was homemade and looked it, frankly,  It was poorly constructed and did not fit.  

The other bride I felt for (and really wanted to win) was the older bride getting married for the second time and her community college where she worked helped host it.  Super family friendly, very simple and she said outright:  "Without the help of my co-workers at my community college I could not have this wedding."  The other brides were BRUTAL over her $5000 budget:  "PLASTIC FORKS?"  Oh my gosh the Earth just stopped rotating!  Plus so many of these brides are having their $$$ parents pay so what the hell?  At least this bride was humble and proud.  

And Arizona and Florida brides who have outdoor ceremonies need to shut it over the sunshine.  Yes we get it is hot.  

Dracula Bride with her $100,000 budget is on tomorrow!!!  She was SO bitchy and rude!!!

Remember Julie, the super religious bride?  I wanted to brush the hair out of her face!  Her bangs were in her eyes the whole time.  

Nadine?  The weather announcer from Arizona?  SUPER BITCH.  If I had to hear her say "couture dress" once more I would vomit.  She has the huger wedding cake with photos (looked like film strips) all over it plus fireworks.  She lost.  Good.  She was nasty.

Note to grooms:  if you are marrying a woman hell bent on being a princess.....good luck.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Chicken fingers bride was actually really sweet and didn't spit out food if she didn't care for it. She even tried new things, and admitted she ate like a child.

I agree!!  She was really sweet - I felt bad the others were ragging on her for the word "obey."  Chicken fingers and mac and cheese - not my cup of cocoa but hey....it was HER wedding!  I do thinnk it is amusing when brides go way over the top with a theme:  Halloween, Christmas, Candy, Chocolate, the color pink or purple, what have you and the other guests are like....yawn.  Me?  I am not into Halloween so coming in costumes would be not fun for me.  Nor am I into pirates so again, pass.  But it is their wedding day!

Yeah I was impressed with chicken fingers bride for being upfront about her own issues, & not being snooty about food. I thought it was funny when she ordered the children's dish at the one wedding; she was so happy LOL.  And everyone at her wedding had wedding food; she had the chicken fingers & fries - & the 'fun fetti' cake, which the brides thought was not so great.

I've seen some other ones though who just tore the wedding food apart; they had no right to do that being self admitted 'picky eaters'. I don't know what they expect honestly.

I only remember one gluten free bride, so far... can't recall what the name of the episode was though. 

The theme things is silly, but I'm wondering if it's part of this show to have a theme. It seems so because the other brides really watch for them 'keeping to the theme' & will drop points if it's not done well enough (eye roll).

Super religious Julie had a huge make out session with her groom for the 'first kiss'. It was very cringe worthy. I don't know how she thought she had a chance of winning by making everyone sick with all that sugary crap at her 'reception'. The brides ordered pizza & ate outside.

I couldn't even watch the one with dracula bride & didn't DVR it. I saw a tiny bit of it quite a while ago & had trouble with it - she was horrid!

• Love 1

My husband asked how we would rate on this show, I told him if we went up against other brides from our area we probably do okay but if we went up against any of the brides that are normally on the show we would get 2s and 3s.  In our area most wedding receptions are held at VFW or KC halls, there are almost always cash bars besides the hour before dinner that is kind of like cocktail hour but with Chex mix and deer sausage and cheese,  because our county would drink you broke, buffets are the norm and your two "meats" are fried chicken and mosctocholli (we did have pork loin) and you never see steak, cake smashing is pretty much a given (my husband was nice and just dabbed a bit on my nose). Oh and yeah plastic tableware. 

• Love 2

I'm addicted to this show! I watch and like to guess who the winner will be. I wonder how much input the groom has on the theme of the wedding. I don't know many guys who would want pink or candy themed weddings. My nephew got married last year and he's a huge Star Wars fan. The ceremony featured Star Wars quotes and they had a Star Wars cake topper. I'm sure that it wouldn't make the cut on this show.

• Love 1
Just now, friendperidot said:

It's been a long time since I saw this show and unless it's on Netflix or Prime, probably won't get to see it again. But is the B-L-A-N bride the one that was married on the sidewalk in front of the SuperDome in NO?

Watching ...and a Giraffe now with the Blan bride now. She was the one who got married at a zoo and rode a bicycle into the cocktail hour. I haven't seen the one you are talking about yet. 

...and Dracula's castle is set to be recorded tomorrow. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm addicted to this show! I watch and like to guess who the winner will be. I wonder how much input the groom has on the theme of the wedding. I don't know many guys who would want pink or candy themed weddings. My nephew got married last year and he's a huge Star Wars fan. The ceremony featured Star Wars quotes and they had a Star Wars cake topper. I'm sure that it wouldn't make the cut on this show.

See, a few Star Wars touches are great!!  Your nephew's wedding sounds fun!  Expecting people to dress up like characters, having a Jedi fight and your officiant is Darth Vader is over the top.  My fiance and I are both hikers and campers so to find a cake topper like that would be great!  Dragging everyone up a mountain to get married?  Not so great.

9 hours ago, carpedi7 said:

My husband asked how we would rate on this show, I told him if we went up against other brides from our area we probably do okay but if we went up against any of the brides that are normally on the show we would get 2s and 3s.  In our area most wedding receptions are held at VFW or KC halls, there are almost always cash bars besides the hour before dinner that is kind of like cocktail hour but with Chex mix and deer sausage and cheese,  because our county would drink you broke, buffets are the norm and your two "meats" are fried chicken and mosctocholli (we did have pork loin) and you never see steak, cake smashing is pretty much a given (my husband was nice and just dabbed a bit on my nose). Oh and yeah plastic tableware. 

Your wedding sounds like half of the weddings I attended here in Minnesota, especially back in the 70's and 80's - and I loved them all.   Good food, a VFW and some fun relatives....what is not to like?  The stuffy over the top weddings are too much for me.  Yes I get it your parents are loaded.  And I have a an even bigger eye roll for the "Look how in love we are!" couples.  I went to one wedding and they played three (THREE!) love songs during the ceremony.....big rock ballads from the 80's!  Not sure how they got past the minister on those, maybe the church was more liberal.   And the vows...."I promise to always be your wings when you need them, to be your soul mate, be to be your everything!"  Now I love my fiance but I don't want him to be my everything!!!   LOL!  

• Love 4

I think weddings are sometimes area dependent on how they are presented. I also think it depends a lot on culture, etc. I come from a culture/area where the big show is preferred, yet married someone who's family was into the 'big sandwich' wedding. Both gets the job done, & I've seen marriages from both types of weddings fail.

20 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Plus her dress was homemade and looked it, frankly,  It was poorly constructed and did not fit.  

Laws yes!  A dress that did not "fit perfectly"! Deduct all the points!

22 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I like to say, in my best Santino Rice imitating Michael Kors voice, "There's too much SHIT in that church!"

Lol I'm dying!!! I'd give this 1000 likes if I could!

• Love 1

Just saw "Dracula's Castle." LOL. What an asshole Marie is. Loved how the one bride was shown saying, "Marie doesn't like this. Marie doesn't like that." And when the Fire Island bride said Marie looked "ashamed" of some of the wedding elements, I thought I'd wet myself.

Dear Marie, they didn't enjoy your wedding because you're so damn unpleasant to be around. You pollute the environment with your toxicity. That's why you came in last. LAST. Not 2nd or 3rd but LAST. And I'm going to borrow your my-opinion-is-cannon-not-an-opinion personality and speak for America: We think you got the ranking you deserved.

Now back to what I realize is an opinion: What kind of grown ass woman (let alone one who will be middle-aged soon but already looks 50) has a Dracula themed wedding? That shit is for 15 year olds who think they're edgy and deep and mysterious but still end up hanging out at the mall because that's where the goth store is and Mom needed to go to Macy's anyway so she'll drop you. Meet back at Orange Julius at 3:00.

She was selling her dress and went into detail about the wedding itself including that she wanted a black dress but her husband said no. There are a few comments at the end, too.

This was a good episode! I miss the show. 

• Love 5

She was selling her dress and went into detail about the wedding itself including that she wanted a black dress but her husband said no. There are a few comments at the end, too.

glanced through the pictures, read the comments, didn't read all the stuff on the wedding. I think I remember this one. But the behind shots of the bride in that dress, look like a big butt. I have a big behind myself and I wouldn't have any large ornamentation on the back of my wedding dress for that reason, no butt bow, no poofs, kiss (keep it simple, stupid). 

And Carpedi7, thanks for the info, I remember the blan, but there were several zoo weddings on this show, I don't remember that one. Maybe someday this show will be on Netflix or Prime or I'll try another one of the streaming services.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

glanced through the pictures, read the comments, didn't read all the stuff on the wedding. I think I remember this one. But the behind shots of the bride in that dress, look like a big butt. I have a big behind myself and I wouldn't have any large ornamentation on the back of my wedding dress for that reason, no butt bow, no poofs, kiss (keep it simple, stupid). 

And Carpedi7, thanks for the info, I remember the blan, but there were several zoo weddings on this show, I don't remember that one. Maybe someday this show will be on Netflix or Prime or I'll try another one of the streaming services.

The comments from that blog are great:  "who the hell spends $160,000 on a wedding?"  That dress is the MOST awful thing ever created.  Ever.  I think she took friends with her who secretly hated her and gushed:  "Oh Marie!!!  YOU LOOK GREAT!!!" knowing it was a gross, puffy mess of a dress.  

Now back to what I realize is an opinion: What kind of grown ass woman (let alone one who will be middle-aged soon but already looks 50) has a Dracula themed wedding? That shit is for 15 year olds who think they're edgy and deep and mysterious but still end up hanging out at the mall because that's where the goth store is and Mom needed to go to Macy's anyway so she'll drop you. Meet back at Orange Julius at 3:00.

This times 100!! Halloween is for kids, in my opinion, and if you want to have a Halloween party then have one at Halloween but don't be shocked if others are not so into it.  She reminds me of the wanna be "Goth Girl" but she is almost 50.  And mean.  And rude.

2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

A dress that did not "fit perfectly"! Deduct all the points!

I don't care if a dress does not fit exactly perfectly, this dress was shoddy and poorly made so there was no way it could fit!  She would have been hard to fit, being short and somewhat "stout" but really, hire a talented seamstress and get a pretty dress that somewhat fits!!!  Even a cocktail dress could have been dressed up.  

• Love 2

I finally saw Blan bride and she was obnoxious. I don't think she liked anything outside of her own wedding. I would have been happy with Amber or Whitney winning. I know the other brides shouldn't criticize the wedding ceremony but they do have a point about being able to see and hear what is happening.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I wonder how many chickens, lambs, & who knows what else lost their lives in preparation for that horror show 'wedding' affair for mrs dracula.

I just read the text in "Readable" for Mrs. Darcula/Halloween and she is just as bitchy in print.  "We were robbed...it was grand theft." Really??  "America knows this is BS."  SHe reminds me of the moody co-worker we have all had who bitches about every. little. thing.  Company caters lunch?  "I hate chicken."  Company gives a half day off?  "Great....I could have made plans."

• Love 2

I couldn't stand Marie she would have fit in with Christine. I saw Julie's episode as well. I wonder if the first kiss with her groom was her first kiss ever? I wanted to tell her to relax about being a non drinker. I don't drink although my family does. I got the impression the other brides were the only people she knew outside church.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I couldn't stand Marie she would have fit in with Christine. I saw Julie's episode as well. I wonder if the first kiss with her groom was her first kiss ever? I wanted to tell her to relax about being a non drinker. I don't drink although my family does. I got the impression the other brides were the only people she knew outside church.

I agree about being a non drinker.  I am not a drinker but I don't announce it everyplace I go!  I just order a cola or lemonade and if asked (I am 52, no pregnancy scare here) I just say I am driving.  I am really glad Julie felt she could serve the Lord and have a worshipful wedding but she was just SO.....pious.   And Julie does not have to serve food at her wedding, just tell people so they don't starve!!  

On 6/21/2017 at 2:11 PM, Beaner said:

Another thing about the pizza/two liter soda wedding:  the two women did not strike me as gay,  Go ahead and throw tomatoes at me but there was something off about them.  Each of them had been married to men, and that does happen a lot....but SIX kids between them?  They struck me as two friends going through a phase or talking themselves into something.  Please don't get me wrong:  I am ALL FOR equality so this is NOT an anti-gay feeling....love is love is love.  

Another thing that I want to nitpick:  The liter bottles were just placed on the tables.  They did not seem to be chilled or anything.  It was like, "Here!"  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The comments from that blog are great:  "who the hell spends $160,000 on a wedding?"

When I saw that I almost choked.  There were only 120 people invited too.  Someone could buy a pretty nice house for that kind of money in some parts of the country, or put a downpayment on one in the New York City area, or buy a vacation home somewhere, or pay for their kid's college tution, or any number of "big" things instead of blowing that kind of money on a party for a few hours. I found this about the cost of a wedding at that venue (http://www.womangettingmarried.com/angel-orensanz-foundation-wedding-venue/ ).  So more than 2/3 of what she paid was to cover things like decorations and entertainment?  I guess zombies don't come cheap.  If I were there I wouldn't have been able to stop looking at all those crooked candles because that would have driven me crazy.   

13 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

... the one bride was shown saying, "Marie doesn't like this. Marie doesn't like that."

I was laughing so much when she followed that up by saying, "God help her!"  I wish I had a screenshot of that same bride's face when the zombies started to dance.  It was hysterical.  

Most losing brides, even the ones that appeared to think they had the win in the bag,  have enough self-conrol to put on a polite, frozen smile after the winner is named. Draculie looked like smoke was going to come out of her ears.  Anyone else figure she demanded a recount?

11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But the behind shots of the bride in that dress, look like a big butt.

That was what I thought when I first saw it too, but then I thought the bottom looked more like it could have been the stuffing from a fat suit with puffy buttocks in the back and droopy stomach across the front.   Whoever did her make-up that day did a good job though.  

One thing I have to say about this show is that total misses in the dress department are rare.  The people doing alterations at bridal shops are unsung heros considering how some of the brides look in their cocktail dresses when attending other weddings compared to how they look in their wedding gowns.   

• Love 2
15 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

don't drink although my family does. I got the impression the other brides were the only people she knew outside church.

Was this one where the bride wasn't allowed by her religion to attend the other ceremonies?  I think she had a friend go.  I  thought it was SO wrong to allow her to be on the show,.
And as I Remember the Dracula bride, she was really hurt that she didn't win.  Would love to hear if they're still together.

5 hours ago, auntjess said:

Was this one where the bride wasn't allowed by her religion to attend the other ceremonies?  I think she had a friend go.  I  thought it was SO wrong to allow her to be on the show,.
And as I Remember the Dracula bride, she was really hurt that she didn't win.  Would love to hear if they're still together.

Sadly, I looked her up and Dracula Bride is still married.  She probably can't afford to get divorced!  The Jehovah Witness Bride (JW) was a pill.....I am no theolgy major but I believe JW's can attend a ceremony in another church.  It is up to the bride.  Then, HER wedding was not even in a JW church!!  Whatever......

• Love 1
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Was this one where the bride wasn't allowed by her religion to attend the other ceremonies?  I think she had a friend go.

I remember one who watched the weddings by video while sitting in a car outside of the churches.  She walked up to the stairs with the other two her were attending and then returned to the car when they went inside. I think she was  a Jehovah Witness.  

• Love 1
On June 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM, cpcathy said:

I've told you guys my husband watches this with me. The other night we were watching, he said, "I miss the Canadian weddings, they eat a lot of soup."

Your husband's comment made me snort with LOL laughter!  I don't know if I have seen any of the Canadian episodes.

I saw BLAN bride this past week.  SO happy she did not win!  And then sourpuss Marie with the $160,000 wedding???  She seemed wound tight and not very happy.  And convinced she would win.  Not!  I can't even imagine spending that much on a wedding.  Her husband seemed like a laid-back, nice guy though.

It's been fun to come here and read the comments and see that others feel the same way about certain brides and weddings.  Like others, I'd like to see this show come back.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

The other bride I felt for (and really wanted to win) was the older bride getting married for the second time and her community college where she worked helped host it.  Super family friendly, very simple and she said outright:  "Without the help of my co-workers at my community college I could not have this wedding."  The other brides were BRUTAL over her $5000 budget:  "PLASTIC FORKS?"  Oh my gosh the Earth just stopped rotating!  Plus so many of these brides are having their $$$ parents pay so what the hell?  At least this bride was humble and proud.

Oh, lord. Yes, yes, yes! I have so much empathy for brides without huge budgets who focus on the meaning of the day and have the support of their family and friends. The other brides who immediately come to mind are the lesbian couple from Brooklyn (one bride was petite and the other was really tall, if that helps) and their reception was a buffet catered by family and friends. There was plenty of food -- no one was going hungry -- but the guests were asked to limit themselves to 1 entree. The princess bride who had 3 ballgowns (held in an Atlantic City casino, I believe) was completely horrid about not getting multiple entrees. How do you go to a wedding where there is so much love and be so ungracious because you couldn't get beef AND chicken?

• Love 1

I'm all for a lovely cocktail hour, you know, passed horsadurves and such but when did cocktail hour become dinner number one? I love the brides that complain there's too much food. Nobody says you have to stuff yourself silly before dinner so that you can't enjoy the actual main dinner. How much food does a wedding need?

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Oh, lord. Yes, yes, yes! I have so much empathy for brides without huge budgets who focus on the meaning of the day and have the support of their family and friends. The other brides who immediately come to mind are the lesbian couple from Brooklyn (one bride was petite and the other was really tall, if that helps) and their reception was a buffet catered by family and friends. There was plenty of food -- no one was going hungry -- but the guests were asked to limit themselves to 1 entree. The princess bride who had 3 ballgowns (held in an Atlantic City casino, I believe) was completely horrid about not getting multiple entrees. How do you go to a wedding where there is so much love and be so ungracious because you couldn't get beef AND chicken?

I remember that same sex couple too:  I believe they had a tasteful rainbow theme and the one bride WAS like, six feet tall AND wore heels!!!  The love between them was immense!  That leads me to another peeve of the these brides:  "I saw nothing original!"  Yet.....9/10 show up and wear the same "fit and flare w/ a sweetheart neckline" dress, complete with a belt and plenty of bling, have a cocktail hour w/ too much food, have a grand entrance where they come dancing in with fists pumping, a first dance (just for them while everyone watches) then a plated dinner of steak or chicken.  More dancing follows.  All the wedding look somewhat identical!!  

So then a humble and modest means bride shows up with her $5000 budget (twice my 10/7/17 budget btw) and she gets HAMMERED with the negative comments.  She does things a little different and WOW let's arrest her!!  I could just hear guest brides at my wedding:  "She didn't come down an aisle!  There was NO music!  There was NO drinking!  There was NO DANCING!"  Well, it will be a brief civil ceremony followed by a lunch, but more importantly....it is what WE want!

Edited to add:  Speaking of looking the same, let's talk about the way they dress while waiting for the winning groom:  dress cut about the knees, cleavage, four inch heels with no tights, pantyhose or leggings EVER, jacked up makeup and somewhat big hair.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I'm all for a lovely cocktail hour, you know, passed horsadurves and such but when did cocktail hour become dinner number one? I love the brides that complain there's too much food. Nobody says you have to stuff yourself silly before dinner so that you can't enjoy the actual main dinner. How much food does a wedding need?

I too have been amazed at the amount of food served at some of the weddings on the show.  It sometimes looks like the food court at the mall with the different stations.     I haven't been to many weddings in recent years, but the few I have attended only served some passed hors d'oeuvres prior to the dinners.  I don't remember that even being the case a few decades ago.   Back then an open bar was a big thing and not taken for granted.   I only remember people with long receptions lasting  until late in the evening sometimes would have a Viennese table toward the end of the evening.  Those were the "big"  and "fancy" weddings though.  It seems like a dessert spread is expected now too  in addition to the cake.  I don't recall getting a goodie bag to take home like at a kid's birthday party either.   I only remember when some jordan almonds in tulle were the standard favors   No flip books, circus acts, photo booths, etc.  Entertainment was provided by the music, dancing, garter and bouquet toss, and cutting the cake.  What I do remember is far too many people of modest means feeling obligated to throw a wedding bash costing much more than they could afford.  I wonder how many second mortgages were taken out to finance some of those weddings then, and now.  I've seen that happen to people I know now who feel their little princesses should have anything and everythying their heart's desire regardless of cost.   One couple I know paid to put their daughter through college which she stretched out to seven years of tuition/housing payments in order to get her undergraduate degree.  Then she hit them up for a big wedding right after graduation.   They refinanced their home to cover it all.  Four or five years later came the divorce with a remarriage a couple years later...and the daughter actually asked them for money toward another wedding reception.  I don't think they opened up the coffer as wide that time though.   To each his own, but my own is to think that people are crazy to feel they have to do that.   

I sometimes feel like an anthroplogist  observing some lost tribe when I watch this show. 

• Love 8

One thing I do love about this show is the disparity between budgets. I'm always gonna rewind to catch the blurb that includes what their budget was. Watched an ep last night where a wedding planner bride thought she had it in the bag because of her mad skills but she lost to a farm wedding which I thought was lovely. I think so much depends on the couple and the atmosphere of love and family that makes a great wedding. Can't buy that.

• Love 2
(edited)

"...And A Taxi Cab" episode featuring 4 New York-area brides--- basically 2 quiet, classy brides & 2 loud, tacky ones. The 2 loud brides were really big on shots & fist pumping. The one Jersey girl looked particularly dead behind the eyes. (That girl needs to drink a gallon of water & take some omega-3 fish oil capsules, stat!) The other one with curly/wavy hair was kind of mean, but she did make some good comments, although some of her pronounciations made me crazy. The one classy bride who was marrying an actor put on a very lovely wedding for, like, $15,000. I cheered out loud when she came out in her dress!!! You go girl! It fit her beautifully. Was that her sister or her twin with the same gorgeous face? I loved Emily's wedding--- the "quiet" bride. Exquisite for $25,000. The gold details on her dress were so lovely against her porcelain skin, as was her red rose bouquet & the big slab of chimichurri skirt steak at her reception looked delicious, though the other brides complained it was too cold. Surprise, surprise the girl with double her budget---ol' dead behind the eyes--- won. I kind of agreed with the other brides' complaints that there was too much food at her reception. Kind of stupid--- you don't have to eat it all--- & First World Problems for sure, but I know I would have felt bad about all the waste.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:15 AM, Lady Iris said:

One thing I do love about this show is the disparity between budgets. I'm always gonna rewind to catch the blurb that includes what their budget was. Watched an ep last night where a wedding planner bride thought she had it in the bag because of her mad skills but she lost to a farm wedding which I thought was lovely. I think so much depends on the couple and the atmosphere of love and family that makes a great wedding. Can't buy that.

Oh!!! The budget disparities just make me crazy!.... But, I think you are right; I think that's what makes the show compelling. (Aargh!!!)

Yes, yes indeed. You are so right about the importance of love & family. One's real friends & family would never judge a wedding like the competitive strangers on this show. 

On 6/26/2017 at 4:27 PM, ichbin said:

I too have been amazed at the amount of food served at some of the weddings on the show.  It sometimes looks like the food court at the mall with the different stations.     I haven't been to many weddings in recent years, but the few I have attended only served some passed hors d'oeuvres prior to the dinners.  I don't remember that even being the case a few decades ago.   Back then an open bar was a big thing and not taken for granted.   I only remember people with long receptions lasting  until late in the evening sometimes would have a Viennese table toward the end of the evening.  Those were the "big"  and "fancy" weddings though.  It seems like a dessert spread is expected now too  in addition to the cake.  I don't recall getting a goodie bag to take home like at a kid's birthday party either.   I only remember when some jordan almonds in tulle were the standard favors   No flip books, circus acts, photo booths, etc.  Entertainment was provided by the music, dancing, garter and bouquet toss, and cutting the cake.  What I do remember is far too many people of modest means feeling obligated to throw a wedding bash costing much more than they could afford.  I wonder how many second mortgages were taken out to finance some of those weddings then, and now.  I've seen that happen to people I know now who feel their little princesses should have anything and everythying their heart's desire regardless of cost.   One couple I know paid to put their daughter through college which she stretched out to seven years of tuition/housing payments in order to get her undergraduate degree.  Then she hit them up for a big wedding right after graduation.   They refinanced their home to cover it all.  Four or five years later came the divorce with a remarriage a couple years later...and the daughter actually asked them for money toward another wedding reception.  I don't think they opened up the coffer as wide that time though.   To each his own, but my own is to think that people are crazy to feel they have to do that.   

I sometimes feel like an anthroplogist  observing some lost tribe when I watch this show. 

Soo much pressure to spend soo much money that they don't have.... smh. Juicy personal story, too! *sigh* On a personal note myself, I'll be a bridesmaid in my half-sister's destination wedding this fall. $2000 for me & a guest so far, plus a week off of work. The real problem is not the expense, but the lack of love & appreciation... It's too obvious I'm only being invited out of a sense of obligation & propriety :/.... sorry for going off topic... it's been weighing on my heart for 9 months... just venting... 

"Anthropologists." Yes! Makes me feel a lot better about watching so much bad reality tv. 

On 6/26/2017 at 9:24 AM, Lady Iris said:

It started out as a Jersey thing, but I think the trend is spreading. 

Edited by NowVoyager
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

The other bride I felt for (and really wanted to win) was the older bride getting married for the second time and her community college where she worked helped host it.  Super family friendly, very simple and she said outright:  "Without the help of my co-workers at my community college I could not have this wedding."  

I remember her, but one cardinal rule seems to be NEVER LET FRIENDS BE SEEN HELPING.  There was another where friends helped serve and cleanup, and the bride was trashed.

4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

The real problem is not the expense, but the lack of love & appreciation... It's too obvious I'm only being invited out of a sense of obligation & propriety :/.... sorry for going off topic... it's been weighing on my heart for 9 months... just venting... 

A heart-to-heart? "How about, you don't feel obligated to ask me, and I won't feel obligated to spend $2000 and a week's vacation, on a trip I don't want to take."

• Love 1
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

"...And A Taxi Cab" episode featuring 4 New York-area brides--- basically 2 quiet, classy brides & 2 loud, tacky ones. The 2 loud brides were really big on shots & fist pumping. The one Jersey girl looked particularly dead behind the eyes. (That girl needs to drink a gallon of water & take some omega-3 fish oil capsules, stat!) The other one with curly/wavy hair was kind of mean, but she did make some good comments, although some of her pronounciations made me crazy. The one classy bride who was marrying an actor put on a very lovely wedding for, like, $15,000. I cheered out loud when she came out in her dress!!! You go girl! It fit her beautifully. Was that her sister or her twin with the same gorgeous face? I loved Emily's wedding--- the "quiet" bride. Exquisite for $25,000. The gold details on her dress were so lovely against her porcelain skin, as was her red rose bouquet & the big slab of chimichurri skirt steak at her reception looked delicious, though the other brides complained it was too cold. Surprise, surprise the girl with double her budget---ol' dead behind the eyes--- won. I kind of agreed with the other brides' complaints that there was too much food at her reception. Kind of stupid--- you don't have to eat it all--- & First World Problems for sure, but I know I would have felt bad about all the waste.

You nailed it on all points.  Curly did nothing to dispel the stereotype of the Snookiesque Jersey girl.   Yeah those pronunciations, like  "sequencing" on another bride's dress, were grating.   The view from the quiet bride's wedding venue was fantastic.  The Jersey girls must have felt threatened at her wedding because they appeared ready to pounce.  It was like that centerpiece fell as some kind of cosmic response to their sniping.  

5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Soo much pressure to spend soo much money that they don't have.... smh. Juicy personal story, too! *sigh* On a personal note myself, I'll be a bridesmaid in my half-sister's destination wedding this fall. $2000 for me & a guest so far, plus a week off of work. The real problem is not the expense, but the lack of love & appreciation... It's too obvious I'm only being invited out of a sense of obligation & propriety :/.... sorry for going off topic... it's been weighing on my heart for 9 months... just venting... 

Destination weddings and the "honor" of being a bridal attendant!  After essentially handing over your wallet for someone to do with as they please it damn well should be appreciated!  Sorry you got hit with a double whammy.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, cpcathy said:

NowVoyager, you can't say something "suddenly came up?"  $2000 is a TON of money!

4 hours ago, auntjess said:

A heart-to-heart? "How about, you don't feel obligated to ask me, and I won't feel obligated to spend $2000 and a week's vacation, on a trip I don't want to take."

3 hours ago, ichbin said:

Destination weddings and the "honor" of being a bridal attendant!  After essentially handing over your wallet for someone to do with as they please it damn well should be appreciated!  Sorry you got hit with a double whammy.  

Thanks for listening! I want the bride to be happy, but I am just miserable! I am going to have a conversation with her about asking me to do things, not telling me to do things, & saying please & thank you. Wish me luck!

• Love 2

Jersey brides this morning! I love the Jersey brides. Turn up the club mix, down some shots and pump your fists cause WHOOOO girls are in da howwwwwwse.

Have they shown any Canadian brides recently? They were so bitchy...the Americans looked polite in comparison. Great episodes.