Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Caught the last half of a rerun the other day, Pirate Bride, guests had to dress up as pirates (whereas she got to look normal and pretty!), brunch ceremony, cash bar and naughty language songs playing for a dance party. All grounds to give it a 2 in my opinion! Luckily, a classy, nice bride with a gorgeous location won.

• Love 2

I don't get that either! Do they think they won't be fed at ALL during the reception that they overload their plates at cocktail hour? Have a couple of shrimp and a little fruit and wait for your dinner!

• Love 4

I had to stop watching this show because 99% of the brides were petty bitches who couldn't wait to rip someone else's big day to shreds. Seriously. I realize the production group was probably egging them on, but I wondered how many looked up one or more of the other brides after hearing their comments on the TV show and let them have it.

I also do not get the rationale behind judging a "budget" wedding and a $100K extravaganza on the same episode.

• Love 3
On 9/2/2016 at 1:02 PM, hoosier80 said:

Watching what I assume is a rerun today.  I've never seen it before, but the location is in Arizona or at least it's in the southwest somewhere.  The brides are all waiting for the groom to get out of the limo, and there's cacti all over the place with sand (looks almost like they dropped the brides at the side of a road in the middle of nowhere).  Anyhow, I think every bride had an outdoor ceremony, and some had everything outside.  At the first wedding, themed as an old Hollywood wedding, everyone was complaining about how hot it was.  I can't think that was a shocker, given where they were.  Not sure why they'd all want outdoor ceremonies given that it could be hotter than hell there (a lot of the time).  One had an outdoor reception, under the stars, which looked pretty, except there were bugs all over the place.  They had a bonfire and a log rolled off the pile as one of the brides was trying to toast her marshmallow.  Of course, she said she had to take points off for that.  I hate that, like something happens the bride couldn't control and 'oh, I have to take off points for that'.   She couldn't have taken off too many points, because I think that couple won?? (I'm half watching as I work from home today).

Totally agree about the happy hour and the 'not enough food' comment.  I've seen it go the other way where there was a lot of food, and then some brides complained that there was too much food.  

You can tell that some make snide comments or pick at everything because they want to win.  

This bugs me, too! So far I have seen points deducted because a fly fell in someone's wine, a log rolled out of the bonfire, the weather wasn't perfect, there was a power outage, someone couldn't walk in their inappropriate shoes... none of those things are in the bride's control! And then there's the points deducted because contestants can't handle anyone from a different culture, such as when a couple dared to honor their parents' heritage and had parts of their ceremony in a language besides English, and (my personal favorite) the wedding wasn't in a church and all weddings should be in churches.

But I watch for the occasional moments of High Tackiness, like the bride who wrote and performed her own crappy processional song, and the cheap paper "red carpet" at a Hollywood Glamour theme reception. There was also a bride who walked up the aisle while apparently three sheets to the wind. Good times.

• Love 1

BLAN bride was on again this week! Who cannot love BLAN bride? Not only does she not understand what spelling is, but she complained the entirety of everyone else's weddings, including that one bride's kiss with her groom was too platonic!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

BLAN bride was on again this week! Who cannot love BLAN bride? Not only does she not understand what spelling is, but she complained the entirety of everyone else's weddings, including that one bride's kiss with her groom was too platonic!

You know, I've heard so much about the B-L-A-N bride and was envious at never having seen her, then what to my surprise did appear, but the infamous BLAN comment after the final wedding! I initally wanted to like her, what with the repurposing/recycling and zoo reception, but holy crap - giving 3s to fabulous weddings that others gave 9s?? Fuck that with a side of crackers. I was tittering with glee when I realized she was in the ol' 4W Hall of Fame. The other three girls (Hawaii, Southern, and Afghan) were all so nice and had lovely weddings.

• Love 2

So have you also seen "God bless America" bride?
She was an older bride who got married on 4th of July, and seemed to be drunk at her wedding.
Another favorite was the really trashy dress, I think it was see through.
She was married in a Greek Orthodox ceremony, and I what with veil and bouquet, I'm pretty sure that the priest didn't see the worst until the recessional.

• Love 1

So, much to my surprise/delight, stumbled upon a rerun of Four Weddings and TLC is apparently running a marathon ... is it possible that there is a Season 10 about to air? Or did they just run out of reruns to show? (My VCR or whatever you call it will be working overtime!)

How much could it cost to produce? You have to have the honeymoon prize, then what, flowers and renting the space for the reveal?

My husband said he likes watching this with me, he often calls out stuff he doesn't like about the weddings, and frankly, I find it hilarious.

• Love 2

The big expense I see is having a team in the locations, but that doesn't seem like that much.
As for the trip, I bet that's donated in return for air time.
They're doing all these manipulative, just wrong, shows.  Encouraging people to marry a stranger, just for the money?  That's just wrong.
And the 4 Weddings people know each other.

• Love 2

Last I heard, Semi-Sweet Productions was this shows production company. The last time they had new episodes, half of them were already a year old. 

PamelaMaeSnap, they do marathons of this show pretty often. Especially on Saturday or Sunday mornings. 

AuntJess, heyyyyyy! Miss ya girl. 

• Love 1

Miss you too ShaNaeNae!  I think I saw you on one of "my" shows.
Born This Way, or My 600 Lb Life, or My Big Fat Fabulous Life maybe?
Flip shows, reno, and true crime also where I hang out.

Born This Way or MBFFL, most def. I have on 600lb Life sometimes but not enough to comment. The others I don't watch. 90% of reality shows, I'm in. I just don't come over here as much anymore. I'll try to more. 

Went looking for your post on the TLC FB page and didn't get far. I'll look more later since I was on my lunch, but I couldn't get past the first few comments without chiming in. I'll never get people. Never get them. I'll go look later and second your post so they have a whole 2 people asking for the show back. Went to the production FB page, it hasn't been posted on in a year. Not good. ? 

• Love 1

Chiming in as I always loved watching Four Weddings; I still have many saved on my DVR. I think I read they were having some trouble filming them as the venues were starting to kick them out. I guess even if they don't show the name of the place if it's recognized & was critiqued badly it hurts their business, so they've banned filming at some reception halls.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Ah, I hadn't heard this.  Did they not pay, or overstay what they paid for?

I wish I could find it, but it said that some venues were not allowing it to be filmed there anymore - my guess is it had to do with the critiquing of the venues by the brides. If the venue was obviously on Four Weddings but the wedding didn't do well maybe it was cutting into some business. It's a guess, though.

Hopefully that's wrong or maybe it wasn't enough venues to cause them to stop filming.

I did notice in the Canadian ones seeing certain venues more than once.

• Love 1

I always wondered why they didn't change or vary states more, we got a LOT of NYC, New Jersey, Florida and New Orleans (I know, not a state!), we in California have some gorgeous wedding venues, why don't they do more in California?

• Love 3

I was happy to see one recently that was done in Boston. I'd never even heard of the places they used around the area but it was cool to see. Well, they had a ceremony/reception at Harvard University but other than that no clue what the other places were about.

I can see why venues might not want to attract the bad reviews. But hey, its not their fault they got a 2 for venue because there's gravel, grass, sand and god knows what other unsolid surfaces people are made to trudge through while wearing stillettos. Or even that the food was BLAN or my other favorite, "not to my taste."

Watched a mini marathon on Saturday (which actually kept me from my chores, yay!), noted a critique from one of the brides, that the mashed potatoes at dinner were too creamy, and that she usually liked her potatoes chunkier. Really? I've been to a lot of "rubber chicken dinners" and the potatoes are always the best thing about dinner. Petty much, honey?

At the same wedding (which was on a boat, like mine was, fifteen years ago), the groom absolutely SMASHED the cake into the bride's face and then rubbed it in. You could tell she couldn't get it all out (it was purple) even during their talking heads at the end of the wedding. Frankly, this is something I'd take off points for if it was me trying to win the honeymoon, cake smashing has always meant hostility to me, not fun.

• Love 5

I've now watched about 20-30 reruns of this show and it is pretty entertaining!  However, I've learned that I can't watch it if I'm hungry, because damn near ALL the reception dinners looking so delicious (even when the meat is too rare...ha!) make me starving for food!  Anyhow, after reading comments here, what does "B-L-A-N" stand for? 

• Love 2

It is nice to have a good snack when you watch.
BLAN is a reference to this bitchy bride, who complained that another one's wedding and/or reception was just "blan, B L A N blan."  She's a classic, like the turtle lady on House Hunters.

• Love 4
On 10/24/2016 at 1:07 PM, cpcathy said:

Watched a mini marathon on Saturday (which actually kept me from my chores, yay!), noted a critique from one of the brides, that the mashed potatoes at dinner were too creamy, and that she usually liked her potatoes chunkier. Really? I've been to a lot of "rubber chicken dinners" and the potatoes are always the best thing about dinner. Petty much, honey?

At the same wedding (which was on a boat, like mine was, fifteen years ago), the groom absolutely SMASHED the cake into the bride's face and then rubbed it in. You could tell she couldn't get it all out (it was purple) even during their talking heads at the end of the wedding. Frankly, this is something I'd take off points for if it was me trying to win the honeymoon, cake smashing has always meant hostility to me, not fun.

I noticed that too & wondered, 'too creamy' ? Really? That's a very atypical complaint!  Maybe she just felt the need to nitpick.

I also really hated what that groom did. He was blind but that was no excuse. A little bump on the mouth is one thing, but that was just too much. There was a bride in Philly - the blonde with the Phantom of the Opera theme, I believe, & her groom did the same thing. He really smashed it all over her face & she looked pissed! I wouldn't blame her at all if she was.

I read once that tradition with the feeding is supposed to mean caring for one another, which is not exactly what's being played out when they do stuff like that.  I enjoy it when they have a nice feeding each other; respectful & caring, or just some fun w/o the nasty mess.

I've been keeping track of the re-runs lately but they seem to keep running the same ones over & over.

• Love 1
On September 27, 2016 at 2:50 PM, auntjess said:

They're doing all these manipulative, just wrong, shows.  Encouraging people to marry a stranger, just for the money?  That's just wrong.

Yes...and add to these the endless shows about little people, polygamists, fake Amish, and that Duggar clan

My life is complete: I finally saw B-L-A-N bride yesterday. The icing on the cake for me were the construction paper (i think - cheap, whatever they were) butterflies that had nothing to do with her stated theme. This from a woman who trashed the others for not going as far as they could to realize their respective visions.

• Love 7

That was actually hilarious. My husband of all people commented that her decor wasn't so dang special. And remember, she gave Hawaiian bride a 3 and then later said she liked her food the best. Glad bride who named her dress Bella Swan won, she was adorable and her wedding was chic.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RealityCowgirl said:

My life is complete: I finally saw B-L-A-N bride yesterday.

I wonder other shows have "must sees."  House Hunters has the turtle lady, who took her pet turtle into every house, to see if it was suitable.

On 1/29/2017 at 7:15 PM, RealityCowgirl said:

My life is complete: I finally saw B-L-A-N bride yesterday. The icing on the cake for me were the construction paper (i think - cheap, whatever they were) butterflies that had nothing to do with her stated theme. This from a woman who trashed the others for not going as far as they could to realize their respective visions.

Yes, finally I saw it too!! And what a miserable wretch she was.

Just watched "and an awkward pirate". I had seen it before but hadn't remembered what a nasty, critical bunch they all were. All seemed out to win by slamming each other. They seemed to take the low pot shots, & just nit picked things that didn't have to be said. I didn't like them picking on the one bride's dog, but then I'm an animal lover. They said he was 'hyper' but I thought the dog did great, & so what if he panted? It's on their video & they will enjoy the memory. It won't bother them & they could still hear the ceremony, so that was unnecessary.

They also picked on her dress, saying it was 'too vintage' & 'not her'.  Outside of obvious fitting issues, I don't like it when they slam the dress. That's a personal choice & they really barely know each other enough to say it's 'not her'. I saw one Canadian show where they really dissed the dress & it pissed me off.

That said, there were many things 'off', such as the tango in the one was just nasty, the table women, or whatever they're called were kind of creepy, & the pirate was weird. I can see commenting on those things. But self-described 'cake bitch' was over the top. She said "If I'm at your wedding & I approach your cake, be forewarned", then something about how she will criticize it to the last detail.  Seriously rude. I saw a chef in one show that was nicer than her toward some mediocre food. "Cake bitch" should never get invited to another wedding ever.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3

Outside of obvious fitting issues, I don't like it when they slam the dress.

Agree it's obnoxious to say "I'm giving her a 2 for her dress, because I would never wear a dress like that." I do think it's totally okay to say "Why is she wearing a princess ballgown for a beach wedding" or, in the case of a Pnina stripper fairy dress in church "I can't believe she's baring her tits in front of Jesus and her Grampie".  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Quof said:

in the case of a Pnina stripper fairy dress in church "I can't believe she's baring her tits in front of Jesus and her Grampie".  

Or her ass in front of the Greek Orthodox bishop, when she turned around for the recessional, and the back of her dress was see-through.  On that one, the front wasn't too bad, so the bishop had not idea until she was leaving.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, Quof said:

Agree it's obnoxious to say "I'm giving her a 2 for her dress, because I would never wear a dress like that." I do think it's totally okay to say "Why is she wearing a princess ballgown for a beach wedding" or, in the case of a Pnina stripper fairy dress in church "I can't believe she's baring her tits in front of Jesus and her Grampie".  

Ohhh you got me good on that last line as I sit here eating my lunch, trying to keep my beans in my mouth!

• Love 1

I'm watching an episode called "...and Bling-Blau" from 2012 located in Chicago. There's great bride, Lucy, whom I just love to death. Her personality is so charming & upbeat & fun-loving. She spoke so kindly about the other brides' weddings & she married her childhood sweetheart. I'd like to be her friend in my head. But, there's NO WAY she spent $20,000 on her wedding! If she did, she got robbed. Kind of like lunch meat for the entrees & a sheet cake---her expenses should have been less than half of that. I wonder what's up--- was it a typo, or did she just say her budget was a lot bigger than it actually was, or what?

This brings me to my pet peeve about this show: when the brides have very disparate budgets.

• Love 2

Watched one tonight that my TiVo picked up a bit ago from 2011 called, "and glass slippers". It was from 2011 and feature a bitch from hell bride who was marrying a sugar daddy man 21 years her senior. She complained about EVERYTHING at the other weddings, particularly the food, where she fancied herself an expert. She was indignant that a Greek Orthodox bride had a wedding that was in Greek. At one point, one of the other brides made a comment in the confessional that, whereas another of the brides was just picky and knew what she liked to eat (and owned her pickiness), Bitchy was "more like an actress." I was so so gratified to see that she came in dead last

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, NowVoyager said:

But, there's NO WAY she spent $20,000 on her wedding!

What about her venue or entertainment?  I haven't watched these in a long time.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Watched one tonight that my TiVo picked up a bit ago from 2011 called, "and glass slippers". It was from 2011 and feature a bitch from hell bride who was marrying a sugar daddy man 21 years her senior. She complained about EVERYTHING at the other weddings, particularly the food, where she fancied herself an expert. She was indignant that a Greek Orthodox bride had a wedding that was in Greek. At one point, one of the other brides made a comment in the confessional that, whereas another of the brides was just picky and knew what she liked to eat (and owned her pickiness), Bitchy was "more like an actress." I was so so gratified to see that she came in dead last

The ending was hilarious on that one. She said if Kitty were to win, she would be 'without speech' (which she clearly had not been while complaining about everything at the weddings).  Then of course, Kitty wins LOL.  Me thinks the producers did a set up on her there & I loved it!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Was that the woman who got married in a vineyard?

Yes it was at a vineyard in NJ; the ceremony was in a tent. If I recall it was very cold outside where they had cocktail hour - was that the one where there were flies in the wine?  I can't recall on that one.

Other than the swing band her wedding was completely underwhelming, for the way she thought she was just the best.

• Love 1

Why did I not know about his show years ago when TLC was broadcasting new episodes?  I only found it by accidient in the middle of the night.  I hope TLC keeps showing reruns.  After having read through the posts here, I know I have a lot to look forward to!

• Love 5

The schedule is a bit weird, I check like every other Saturday, they will show episodes about once a month starting very early in the morning, so I DVR them and delete if I've seen them. My husband actually enjoys watching with me and we are very catty and then rate the weddings ourselves.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, cpcathy said:

The schedule is a bit weird, I check like every other Saturday, they will show episodes about once a month starting very early in the morning, so I DVR them and delete if I've seen them. My husband actually enjoys watching with me and we are very catty and then rate the weddings ourselves.

Looks like a Marathon is scheduled for this coming Sunday.  First episode 3am - 2pm

• Love 3

There is one comment that the other brides always make about each others wedding dresses and that is "the dress fit her well" (most times they are not speaking about the style but of the actual fit),  Of course it did you dummy, didn't you go to a couple of fittings for your dress? 

I am old school, I like the traditional vows, if the bride and groom want to say their own, fine but mostly their own sound like things they should just say to each other like saying "I love you because you hold my hair back when I am drunk and vomiting," a bit of an exaggeration but those are the sort of things I hear.

Out door weddings in the summer when the humidity is sky high are not fun, beach wedding when wind (and it is always windy) is whipping the sand in to your eyes and even trying to walk in the sand are not fun yet they seem to be popular. I now ask if the ceremony will be out side, if it is, I arrive for the reception. Here in Baltimore the humidity melts my make up, frizzes my hair and sweating in a cocktail dress is not fun, makes me hate the bride and groom AND their wedding.  I would score the wedding way, way, way low marks for that.

Yes, I sound old 'cause I am oldish.

• Love 6

I went to a wedding that was held at noon in August (So Cal) in the blazing sun. My husband described one single bead of sweat making its way slowly down his back. The best man told us he thought, "I'm gonna kill (the groom)."

My pet peeves for weddings: morning/afternoon weddings, cash bars/dry weddings, overly long ceremonies with made-up stuff (sand ceremonies, wine-intermingling). I'm sure I'll come up with more!

• Love 5