Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I caught the tail of Ruby!!  What did Jessica do to her?  Didn't Ruby wear super high heels then bitch about having to.....you know....walk?

It's a mystery to me.  If something happened it wasn't shown.  Jessica did somewhat lowball the first wedding with a 4, but the bride from that wedding also gave the same score to another wedding later in the show.  Not even sure if the others were aware of that while filming.  Other than that Jessica seemed to be a good sport and pleasant.  She even was shown mentioning what a good time she was having with the other brides during one of the weddings.  Ruby seemed to have a chip on her shoulder overall about the fact she wasn't spending as much as the others, but  Jessica's wedding  wasn't even the most expensive, with costs running somewhere in the middle.  

I just remembered somethin...Ruby was not happy at Jessica's reception about the fact that the country club where it was held refused to serve shots.  All drinks had to be served on ice.  That might not be the reason, but I think it could have contributed to a possible culture clash of sorts that could have made her feel uncomfortable.  From all that was shown, whatever Ruby's issue was it appeared to be somewhat one-sided.    

Edited by ichbin
add last paragraph
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes Danille had a nicely executed wedding but I am not into a precision drill team wedding.  I am for promptness but.....c'mon! 

I agree, but I wasn't referring to promptness about the other two weddings.  There is no way I would be happy about having to get up so early to get ready and arrive on time for a 7:30AM wedding like Keshia's.  Emilee had an evening event, but her guests didn't get their dinner plates on the table until after 10:30pm.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ichbin said:

I agree, but I wasn't referring to promptness about the other two weddings.  There is no way I would be happy about having to get up so early to get ready and arrive on time for a 7:30AM wedding like Keshia's.  Emilee had an evening event, but her guests didn't get their dinner plates on the table until after 10:30pm.  

Oh I see!!  I did not realize the one started so late, I knew Keisha's started early.  That was my other nitpick about Keisha's wedding:  She said she was having a sunrise service yet the service was mid day!  So you are really getting everyone up to eat breakfast then get married?  I understand the breakfast/brunch aspect of keeping costs down but she could have had the sunrise service as promised then had breakfast brunch and still had a more typical wedding flow.

9 hours ago, carpedi7 said:

What was the name of the episode Danielle was on again. I think I saw that one but I'm not 100% sure. 

"And Something Blue" Season One Episode Nine.  Please don't judge me that I looked that up!!! LOL!

• Love 2
(edited)

I would not have been happy with Keisha's service because they were baking out there! She should've had the service first while it wasn't so hot. And why 7:30am? It could've been more of a normal brunch time for everyone.

The one with Ruby - was that "... and a Talking Orchid" ? The only one I recall on that was the one who went barefoot for her wedding so as not to 'hurt the earth'; she didn't want heels digging into the earth or something like that. But she wore heels at the other weddings I had noticed. If she's so concerned about hurting the earth she could wear flats... weird. She's the one who won in that episode.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

The one with Ruby - was that "... and a Talking Orchid" ? The only one I recall on that was the one who went barefoot for her wedding so as not to 'hurt the earth'; she didn't want heels digging into the earth or something like that. But she wore heels at the other weddings I had noticed. If she's so concerned about hurting the earth she could wear flats... weird. She's the one who won in that episode.

Yeah, that was the episode.

So every time I have seen candles on the floor, lining the main aisle of the ceremony space I have often wondered if that was going to be the ceremony where a bride finally goes up in flames.  Today on the "...And a Frog Dance" episode it came close to happening.  I simply do not understand what is going through people's heads that they think flaming, floor candles are a good idea when so many of them are planning to wear a big, poufy dress in a narrow space.   Some brides actually exercise their brain cells and have placed the candles in high glass holders, but the bride today just had short votive holders in groups on both sides of the aisle.  How about the styrofoam being served along with the cake at the ship wedding ... I wonder how many people bit into it thinking it was some kind of edible decoration.   

• Love 2

I have never understood the need for flame in any shape at a wedding.  Unity candle?  No thanks.  I will drop it and here comes the flames.  I think the purpose of a wedding is to be united in marriage so why the unity candle?  LOL!  

4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I would not have been happy with Keisha's service because they were baking out there! She should've had the service first while it wasn't so hot. And why 7:30am? It could've been more of a normal brunch time for everyone.

Keisha still spent a good amount for a breakfast/no drinking wedding.  I wonder if the boat rental was quite high.  

The boat wedding didn't look that great, but then again I haven't seen one on a boat really impress any brides yet. The bride's father in that one made it all about him walking her down with some of his own moves. She was a bit of a drama queen so I'm surprised she was okay with that; maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I like the unity candle thing, but otherwise I HATE candles, & I remember that one. You'd think someone at the venue or just someone would've warned her not to have candles on the floor at all, especially with her big dress. Even a guest could've accidentally knocked them down but her dress actually did knock at least one down. That was very stupid & I'm surprised the venue allowed it.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I have never understood the need for flame in any shape at a wedding.  Unity candle?  No thanks.  I will drop it and here comes the flames.  I think the purpose of a wedding is to be united in marriage so why the unity candle?  LOL!  

Seriously!   I mean they're up there getting married, I think the guests get the point without the need for any of those gimmicky things the couples feel they need to do, like chemical reactions, volcanoes, etc.  It's all about putting on a show for some of these couples  

3 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

She was a bit of a drama queen so I'm surprised she was okay with that; maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Yeah, that dad seemed to be in his own little world, didn't he?   I think maybe some father's are just very happy to be handing off their opinionated little princesses LOL.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I think the guests get the point without the need for any of those gimmicky things the couples feel they need to do, like chemical reactions, volcanoes, etc.  It's all about putting on a show for some of these couples  

I'm so sick of the sand thing that was part of so many of the weddings. What do you do with that after? It's unnecessary. The other stuff is just trying to outdo everyone else & for attention; I do think they love being a 'show' on 'their day'.

Then there was the brain surgeon (sarcasm, sorry brain surgeons) who decided to do chocolate & wine in Florida mid-day right under the scorching hot sun. The chocolate turned into chocolate sauce. The wine must've come to a boil.

• Love 1

I was at a wedding ceremony that used practically every ritual there was, sand, ropes, you name it (chips, dips, chains, whips....LOL). Hubby still cites it as one long snoozefest.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

Then there was the brain surgeon (sarcasm, sorry brain surgeons) who decided to do chocolate & wine in Florida mid-day right under the scorching hot sun. The chocolate turned into chocolate sauce. The wine must've come to a boil.

One of the neighbors where we used to live had an Easter egg hunt each year for friends and neighbors, and yes, it was very nice of them.   Somewhat peculiar though considering they were Jewish, and also would hold the event a week or two after Easter. Unfortunately,  the spring weather in that area could be quite warm, and Easter sometimes came later, and they used the foil covered chocolate eggs for the hunt.  I remember one year in particular when most of what the kids were picking up was small foil covered packets of liquid chocolate which were ultimately inedible .

In planning for any kind of event it is kind of surprising that some people don't consider any futher than the "wouldn't it be nice" stage and ignore the very real and known negative possiblities of actual execution.  Anyone who holds an outdoor event without a tent or canopy in most part of the country must like to gamble.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ichbin said:

Anyone who holds an outdoor event without a tent or canopy in most part of the country must like to gamble.

A canopy can be like a sail, if you use one on a beach wedding.  A niece had a beach wedding, and even without anything else, the florist had a really hard time getting flowers on the trellis.

I don't want to venture too far off:  our fall wedding is outdoors at an Arboretum.  We are on concrete with a trellis/ceiling thing that will provide coverage from a light sprinkle or glaring sun, and we will NOT be sinking into wet grass.  I was fine with outside but we needed to be on mulch, gravel, concrete, something so as to not sink in.  Plus it is a ten minute ceremony, at most.  Instead of a unity candle I joked we should have a cereal bowl ceremony!  "You pour in your Honey Nut Cheerios, I pour in my Cocoa Puffs, the officiant pours some mile and we go to town with two big spoons!!!"  

If my fiance talked about a rope during a ceremony I would be like...."Where you going with this, honey??"  LOL!  Now whips and and chains I am all aboard with!!!  

19 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

The boat wedding didn't look that great, but then again I haven't seen one on a boat really impress any brides yet.

She was very limited, I am sure, with what she could bring on board due to space and more restrictive fire codes.  I, myself, would not like a boat ceremony as I would feel trapped for hours on a boat!!  I dig you but I do not want to set sail with you for eight hours!!  LOL!

• Love 1

Heh, I got married on a boat and it was great!

It was one of those 1930's type yachts, not the big, party boats like we've seen on the show. All dark wood and brass details. We had a teeny wedding so we got married on the bow and then had dinner, all 20 of us! Not a dance party at all, just classy! I had a great time and everyone said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

She was very limited, I am sure, with what she could bring on board due to space and more restrictive fire codes.  I, myself, would not like a boat ceremony as I would feel trapped for hours on a boat!!  I dig you but I do not want to set sail with you for eight hours!!  LOL!

I agree with the feeling trapped, but I couldn't attend a boat wedding anyway because I have terrible motion sickness & boats are the worst for me.

45 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Heh, I got married on a boat and it was great!

It was one of those 1930's type yachts, not the big, party boats like we've seen on the show. All dark wood and brass details. We had a teeny wedding so we got married on the bow and then had dinner, all 20 of us! Not a dance party at all, just classy! I had a great time and everyone said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

Now that sounds nice!!!  Congratulations!!!  Sounds like a wonderful and classy affair!!

We are on concrete with a trellis/ceiling thing that will provide coverage from a light sprinkle or glaring sun, and we will NOT be sinking into wet grass.  I was fine with outside but we needed to be on mulch, gravel, concrete, something so as to not sink in.  Plus it is a ten minute ceremony, at most.  Instead of a unity candle I joked we should have a cereal bowl ceremony!  "You pour in your Honey Nut Cheerios, I pour in my Cocoa Puffs, the officiant pours some mile and we go to town with two big spoons!!!"  

You'll be covered, just in case you need to be, and that's the important thing.   There were a few outdoor weddings on the show where there didn't appear to be any Plan B in sight if the weather took a turn, particularly the outdoor receptions.  I know there are some areas where the chances of bad weather are really remote, but I think about  all the places where I have lived that were too unpredictable to chance it.

If the show were still being produced I have a feeling your cereal bowl suggestion would probably have wound up being part of some couple's ceremony.  "We met when our grocery carts crashed into each other in the cereal aisle, and now as a symbol of our love and unity...."

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ichbin said:

"We met when our grocery carts crashed into each other in the cereal aisle, and now as a symbol of our love and unity...."

This reminds me of old gossip, someone said of some co-workers, I knew they were living together,because I saw them both put food into the same cart at Safeway.

• Love 1

(...and a Talking Parrot) ... If someone expected me to be at a church for a 9:00 am ceremony then showed up 1.5 hours late I would be plenty pissed off.   When the self-proclaimed elegant bride arrived she coolly announced the lateness wasn't due to anything more than just getting ready.  I don't care how good the meal was, I can't believe she won solely based on that.  Those trumpeteers at the other weddings would have had me screaming with laughter.  The train on the last bride (the one with the parrots) reminded me of those little kid dinosaur costumes.  Did that same bride secretly hate the other three contestants so she sat them at the kid's table?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

The train on the last bride (the one with the parrots) reminded me of those little kid dinosaur costumes.  Did that same bride secretly hate the other three contestants so she sat them at the kid's table?

I had forgotten this episode until you mentioned the kids' table - yeah wow. How did she ever expect to win doing something like that? I think her wedding was on a Monday too, or some other day during the week, which is tough on people due to work.

There are some brides who enter these competitions & I have to wonder how they ever thought they had a chance of winning, although it's definitely interesting seeing the huge differences in affairs.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I think her wedding was on a Monday too, or some other day during the week, which is tough on people due to work.

Yes!  Can't believe I forgot that detail.   I have never heard of anyone planning a Monday wedding.  It was during the day too, not even evening.

• Love 2

I wonder if the bride had a Monday wedding in order to save money? I would have been furious if the wedding started late due to the bride's tardiness. I was surprised that Karen's short ceremony beat out an expensive Indian wedding.

• Love 1

(... And Three Raccoons)  Hippie bride and her "lover" (as introduced by the voiceover).  Would be interested in seeing the breakdown on the $11,000.  Just how expensive was that pizza!  Contrary to what that bride said, I think that most people would remember she served  take-out pizza at her reception way after five years passed.  Beach wedding with an evening reception under an open tent when the temperature is 50 F and falling...no thanks.   The second wedding with the alcohol free cocktail reception was a bit of a mess, and held on a Tuesday evening.  Her cost was $4,000/ 80 guests, but voiceover stated that the venue was courtesy of her boss.  They  only alotted one glass of champagne per guest. and the only food was appetizers (looked like a sparse spread) and fairly plain looking cupcakes instead of a typical wedding cake.  Nothing that stood out in the way of decorations.  I'd be intersted in seeing the cost breakdown on that one too. That bride really low-balled the ex-model with only a two later.  Wonder if it that had anything to do with the ex-model ordering take-out during her reception.   She was a bit of pill at all the other ceremonies too.  Another bride who felt the need to let the viewers know she and groom had been celibate.  Who cares?  None of my business how much sex a couple is or isn't having before the ceremony.   At least the other two ceremonies seemed to acknowledge that inviting guests to an event actually entails some attention to their presence, needs, and comfort.  Ex-model spent the most with 30K, but at least  her guests were comfortable and well fed.  The bride who her made her own gown (and did a good job with that too)  had kind of a meh event.    

This was one of the earlier shows.  I've noticed that the brides, particularly in the first year, were less circumspect with their comments.  I have a feeling that later brides were more aware of how they would be coming across when the shows aired and held back on the negativity, with the expception of some true "characters".  

• Love 1
(edited)

We watched an episode last night where two receptions were "dry." My husband to me: "Where is the alcohol at this reception?:" Me: "It's dry. No alcohol." Husband: "Oh, hell, no!"

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I wonder if the bride had a Monday wedding in order to save money?

I always thought the only weddings held Monday-Thursday were the city hall type and I don't know if they even really do thaqt outside of movies.  Maybe in big cities?  I would imagine it would be less expensive than a week-end.  That was the enue with the birds.  Maybe it's closed to the public on those days?

The last wedding I went to was on a Sunday evening , and that bride was miffed that  some relatives  declined.   Um...maybe because they have to work and didn't want to take vacation days to attend a second wedding half-way across the country?   That's a bad time for a lot of people too.  Some brides!

4 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

We watched an episode last night where two receptions were "dry." My husband to me: "Where is the alcohol at this reception?:" Me: "It's dry. No alcohol." Husband: "Oh, hell, no!"

I imagine some are due to religious or some other personal reason, but if it's to hold down costs, I wonder why they don't have a cash bar.  They used to be fairly common years ago.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Today's rerun of Hippie Bride, DYI/together 17 years/two kids bride, Karen the Sparkly Pink model and Chaste Tuesday Bride.......could they put together four more different brides who clearly don't like each other at all?  At the end, while waiting for the limo they had nothing to say to each other along the usual "I loved your dress!"  or "Your relatives were a hoot!"

Per the hippie bride:  spring for chairs.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, wants to hear your husband warbling his vows to you.  People will remember take out pizza as your wedding food.  If you are going to spend on take out pizza, spring for catered food from Jimmy Johns and throw in some salad.  At least you can have forks.  If I had to attend that wedding I would have been like....get me out of here before they start a friggin' drum circle!!!

Chaste Virgin/Tuesday Night bride - no one, and i mean no one, cares that you don't have sex.  We really don't think you are more holy than us but I can tell YOU think you are closer to God.  

The woman who made her own dress?  I thought it was fugly.  Sorry, but that bottom......yikes.  I am glad that after 17 years and two kids they were toned down in their event.

Sparkle pink Karen - kinda snobby but her wedding was the best.  Let's face it - those other three were NOT much for competition.

14 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Personally, I think my reward for buying a gift and going to a wedding is a little drinky-poo, and I'm not even a lush.

My wedding is going to be dry but then again my ceremony is at 11 w/ a lunch afterwards.  It is in the event room of a restaurant and there is a bar right outside....you can pop out and buy a cocktail if you wish!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Personally, I think my reward for buying a gift and going to a wedding is a little drinky-poo, and I'm not even a lush.

I'm right there with you, but if they still aren't going to pony up for the booze at least make it available for those willing to pay.   Hell, a few cartons of Two Buck Chuck shouldn't cut too far into even most small budgets.   Even if a few bottles of cheap vodka and some store brand mixers were thrown in.  

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I always thought the only weddings held Monday-Thursday were the city hall type and I don't know if they even really do thaqt outside of movies.  Maybe in big cities?  I would imagine it would be less expensive than a week-end.  That was the enue with the birds.  Maybe it's closed to the public on those days?

My ceremony venue (an arboretum) books weddings every day of the week and yes, Sun-Thur is cheaper.  I wanted to get married on a Sunday afternoon to save money.........but I wold NOT have gotten married on a Tuesday evening or any other worknight.  

3 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

If I had to attend that wedding I would have been like....get me out of here before they start a friggin' drum circle!!!

LOL!

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The woman who made her own dress?  I thought it was fugly.  Sorry, but that bottom......yikes

Yeah, not my style, either, but at least it fit her, and compare to hippie bride's mess of a tulle tutu, it was positively haute couture.

• Love 1

I wonder why they don't have a cash bar

Cuz it's tacky as hell?  You wouldn't invite people to dinner at your house and charge for booze.  Why is it okay to invite them to your reception, but charge for booze? 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

Cuz it's tacky as hell?  You wouldn't invite people to dinner at your house and charge for booze.  Why is it okay to invite them to your reception, but charge for booze? 

I agree and it is one more reason why a lot of people these days just don't serve alcohol.  It is just too much of a headache, too big of a liability, just too expensive.  I don't like how many of these brides, on camera, bitch and moan and bring a flask!  Like you can't have a wedding with no booze?  Yes you can.  If it offends people that much, stay home.  If you can't enjoy yourself for four hours without drinking......

(edited)

I agree there shouldn't be bitching about no alcohol; they should be able to handle that well enough. However, a nice, decent meal should be expected; in other words, not pizza & not an all dessert sugar fest.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I don't know.  I think it depends on the couple, their circumstances, (essentially who is footing the bill, etc.)  and where the reception is being held.  Where (and when) I first remember being inivited to weddings, a cash bar was more likely than not.  The only couples I knew with a full bar were the ones whose parents were very comfortably off monetarily.    I did a quick search on the subject and find a cash bar is generally not looked upon favorably currently.    

I was reading an Emily Post 2017 wedding etiquette update and had to laugh.  One question was about whether or not one was obligated to give a gift if a wedding invitiation was delcined.  Post says yes because the person invited is being honored by receiving the invitation.  Reminded me of an invitation we received for the wedding of the daughter of one of my husband's work colleagues.  This colleague is not in his department, we have never spent any time with him socially other than my husband playing a round of golf with they guy a few times where he was part of a foursome.  Never met the wife, never met the daughter.  Unexpected (I mean in the sense my husband is not even close enough to have known the daughter was getting married) invitation comes addressed to my husband... and guest    Okay, here I am thinking I will have to go out and buy something to wear and then be expected to give a gift  (and under the circumstances it would have to be expensive or substantial cash) to someone who we have never met and knows so little about us that the invitation was not even addressed to Mr. & Mrs..   Declined.  No gift either.   So obviously I fail the etiquette test.  I can live with that!

• Love 7

My cousin, who admittedly I have not kept in contact with, invited me many years ago to her wedding. She would have had to contact my sister to get my address (she always liked her better). Invitation finally came to me with just my first name on the envelope. My last name had not changed since we were kids. Needless to say, I declined the invitation.

• Love 6

Karen got a low score because one bride though she didn't take her vows seriously. I love pizza but I wouldn't serve it at my wedding. I couldn't believe that bride didn't have enough food for her guests you're getting married at dinner time I'm sure the other guests were hungry too. I think some of the brides are holier than thou talking about how they don't drink or haven't been intimate yet. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I don't know.  I think it depends on the couple, their circumstances, (essentially who is footing the bill, etc.)  and where the reception is being held.  Where (and when) I first remember being inivited to weddings, a cash bar was more likely than not.  The only couples I knew with a full bar were the ones whose parents were very comfortably off monetarily.    I did a quick search on the subject and find a cash bar is generally not looked upon favorably currently.    

This is why a lot of couples have a church wedding followed by a church "Great Hall" reception - church says no drinking, sorry folks!!  

• Love 1

I gotta admit, when I go to a wedding reception, I'm ready to party...a little champagne, a few drinks...not a "wedding snob" at all...I can have a great time anywhere if the food is decent and the bar is open :)

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ichbin said:

(... And Three Raccoons)  Hippie bride and her "lover" (as introduced by the voiceover).  Would be interested in seeing the breakdown on the $11,000.  Just how expensive was that pizza!  Contrary to what that bride said, I think that most people would remember she served  take-out pizza at her reception way after five years passed.  Beach wedding with an evening reception under an open tent when the temperature is 50 F and falling...no thanks.   The second wedding with the alcohol free cocktail reception was a bit of a mess, and held on a Tuesday evening.  Her cost was $4,000/ 80 guests, but voiceover stated that the venue was courtesy of her boss.  They  only alotted one glass of champagne per guest. and the only food was appetizers (looked like a sparse spread) and fairly plain looking cupcakes instead of a typical wedding cake.  Nothing that stood out in the way of decorations.  I'd be intersted in seeing the cost breakdown on that one too. That bride really low-balled the ex-model with only a two later.  Wonder if it that had anything to do with the ex-model ordering take-out during her reception.   She was a bit of pill at all the other ceremonies too.  Another bride who felt the need to let the viewers know she and groom had been celibate.  Who cares?  None of my business how much sex a couple is or isn't having before the ceremony.   At least the other two ceremonies seemed to acknowledge that inviting guests to an event actually entails some attention to their presence, needs, and comfort.  Ex-model spent the most with 30K, but at least  her guests were comfortable and well fed.  The bride who her made her own gown (and did a good job with that too)  had kind of a meh event.    

This was one of the earlier shows.  I've noticed that the brides, particularly in the first year, were less circumspect with their comments.  I have a feeling that later brides were more aware of how they would be coming across when the shows aired and held back on the negativity, with the expception of some true "characters".  

i think the hippie bride blew a chunk of money on renting the carousel.  Uh, yeah.  I think that could have been something that could have been sacrificed in order to feed her guests properly.

The bride that clutched her metaphorical pearls because the ex-model didn't seem to be taking her ceremony seriously?  Bitch, please.  At least ex-model bride's guests didn't have to order takeout from inside the wedding!

The DIY bride seemed nice, but that dress was fugly, I'm sorry.

I'm in the final stages of wedding planning (Big Day is September 9!) and I swear I've been watching this show as validation that I've made good choices...kind of like I watch Hoarders to feel good about my housekeeping skills.  There are some jaw-droppingly BAD weddings featured on this show, and it's not always the cheap ones, either.  Money can't buy taste!

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

i think the hippie bride blew a chunk of money on renting the carousel.  Uh, yeah.  I think that could have been something that could have been sacrificed in order to feed her guests properly.

The bride that clutched her metaphorical pearls because the ex-model didn't seem to be taking her ceremony seriously?  Bitch, please.  At least ex-model bride's guests didn't have to order takeout from inside the wedding!

The DIY bride seemed nice, but that dress was fugly, I'm sorry.

I'm in the final stages of wedding planning (Big Day is September 9!) and I swear I've been watching this show as validation that I've made good choices...kind of like I watch Hoarders to feel good about my housekeeping skills.  There are some jaw-droppingly BAD weddings featured on this show, and it's not always the cheap ones, either.  Money can't buy taste!

My son's wedding is September 3 and this show and any bridal related show has been a source of making us all feel better about the type of wedding we are having.  Enjoy your day, if someone has something to say, so what, everyone has an opinion.  The bottom line is you are marrying some you love, Mazel Tov!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Me too!!  You have validated me as to why I am a "hate-watcher" of this show!!!  Our big day is 10/7/2017.  My whole budget is $2500.  Seriously.  When I hear about budgets of $120,000 on this show I cringe.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My whole budget is $2500.  Seriously.  When I hear about budgets of $120,000 on this show I cringe

If you're fabulously wealthy, anything goes, but for anyone else, I can't imagine how I'd feel waking up the morning after, and realize I'd blown a downpayment on a house on one fuckin' day.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

The guilt alone would eat me up, even if I had money. You're still married, no matter what the one day cost. That's still the important thing, last I heard.

I agree so much.  Another show I "hate-watch" is Say Yes to the Dress.  Brides who drop obsene amounts of money on a dress they will wear for eight hours is just wrong.  My dress was $300 at a Bridal Consignment store, and I love it.  Even if had a wealthy relative saying "Hey - let's find you a $2000 dress!"  I would have been thanks but no thanks, that is not in my value system.  Neither is a six figure wedding budget.  My biggies for my day are good food and a beautiful venue.  Got them both!!!  

• Love 1

I made sure I had good food and nice photos. My venue was a yacht so the food and flowers were package deals. Dress was $400 (alterations $200) and I did away with stuff like guest book and cake topper and had CDs instead of a DJ of some kind.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

If you're fabulously wealthy, anything goes, but for anyone else, I can't imagine how I'd feel waking up the morning after, and realize I'd blown a downpayment on a house on one fuckin' day.

2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The guilt alone would eat me up, even if I had money. You're still married, no matter what the one day cost. That's still the important thing, last I heard.

Brides who drop obsene amounts of money on a dress they will wear for eight hours is just wrong.

Preaching to the choir!   The worst is when people who realistically cannot afford it feel the need to put themselves in debt for years in order to cover those few hours  of one day.   We had a small house wedding with a deli spread.  Still married decades later.  I have lost count of the number of people I have known over the years who had the lavish wedding ceremonies and receptions and have since divorced.   Having a big event doesn't ensure happiness or longevity.   

Bridal gown prices!  Yikes!  Some of them cost more than a new car.  I saw one of those shows when a woman shelled out over 25K for a dress ... for a vow renewal ceremony.   Even if someone can afford it, why?!?!  

• Love 4
(edited)

I honestly think vow renewals are an excuse to get a new dress.  presents/attention.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 5