Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's Note:

Discuss Four Weddings Here!

Original Post

We need  a place to keep abreast of  Shanaenae's scientific study of these brides.
So this week we've seen lots of Canadian shows, and I can't keep track, but my favorite was the one who commented on the the butternut squash soup, "butter, nuts, and squash, didn't sound like they'd go together, but it was good."

She ranks up there with the " B L A N blan" bride.   (And it's nice to know you don't have to from the US to...)

• Love 3

watched parts of a few episodes today, one show was in New Orleans, one wedding was in the Napoleon House and one of the attending brides asked an employee (waiter, docent, not sure, wasn't paying that much attention) why Napoleon never lived there. So glad history is a favorite subject in school.

• Love 2

Tomorrow at noon EDT, TLC is showing Four Weddings Biggest Blunders, from 2011.
If you have this show scheduled on your DVR, you might still double check, because I know in other shows a deviation in the name will get it not recorded.
After this is the mother of the bride show, which I've seen.

Yes! Remember the nerd lady with coffee at her wedding instead of cocktails and the bride cam attached to her veil? That was Seattle.

The article started out good, but I think a few of us together really watch the hell out of it and can make up some good things that always happen on FW.  Like, I'd take out a groomsman always gets drunk and takes his shirt off because I've only seen that a few times. How about:

-Someone always complains there's just too much food

-One bride usually loses it and completely bawls walking down the aisle making it look more like a funeral

-There's usually one wedding whose décor theme includes one of the following words: rustic, shabby, vintage or chic

-You can count on 3/4 brides to be wearing a strapless gown

-One bride will usually never have the dance floor hoppin', even with the guest brides trying to get the party started

-Every bride will proclaim her wedding is the best in the after wedding interview (before scoring) she and her husband do, even if tons of stuff went wrong

-Every bride and groom in the above interview will say everyone has been telling them all night their wedding was the best one they've been to

Anyone else?

• Love 3

"I don't like outdoor weddings, it's too hot (or cold.)

-There's usually one wedding whose décor theme includes one of the following words: rustic, shabby, vintage or chic

Or Hollywood! 
If a reception is in a venue that caters to that, they're too typical.  If they're in a zoo or a museum, they "don't feel like a wedding."
And if a bride comments that she's "never seen that before,"WE all have, at least once.

• Love 2

Do you guys remember when every bride-testant was fascinated by a mashed potato bar? Just the level of shock. "Mashed potatoes in a martini glass? Inconcievable! What luxury!"

• Love 5

It's summer and I think that wedding season is upon us. Isn't it time Four Weddings returned? I'm so tired of Say Yes To The Dress, I Found The Gown (Say Yes To A Cheaper Dress) and Something Borrowed, Something New (Say Yes To Someone Else's Dress)!

I love Four Weddings! I live for those lovely sore loser brides who bring on the snark when they get beat! Glass slipper bride and New Orleans bride come to mind! Also love me some B-L-A-N bride and 40+ cougar Cinderella bride! What I don't understand is why some of these women go on the show-especially the mundane nothing special wedding brides? I just get such a kick out of the clueless, "I have this in the bag, my wedding was the best," and they come in LAST!

I feel like the format of this show needs some adjustment. Each of the four brides on the same episode should have weddings that are the same budget. It's not fair to compare a wedding with a 10 k budget to one with 100 k budget. 

• Love 6

Thanks, Mountainair.  I thought it was coming back soon.  This show is one of my guilty pleasures.  I've been married, but never wanted to do a big wedding.  It's still fun to see how each ceremony/reception is set up.  I don't understand why there is so much food at cocktail hour.  It seems people would be too full when the actual dinner is served.

• Love 1

I've been seeing the promos too. Looking forward to August 15! l guess one girl has a legit circus for a wedding.  As one of the guest brides said, "it's not a circus themed wedding, it's a circus".  I will tell you I don't go to many weddings, but the ones I have were boring compared to these.

I just get such a kick out of the clueless, "I have this in the bag, my wedding was the best," and they come in LAST!

I always have a twinge of sadness for the bride who has the cheapest, sloppiest wedding and says at that interview at the end, "how can anyone not think my wedding is the best?  Who else has pizza as the main course?"  While the other guest brides are giving her the evil, side eye and and holding paper plates and licking their manicured hands of pizza grease.

40+ cougar Cinderella bride

Two TUMBS up!

My favorite ever was on the other day. Samantha of my own state. Samantha that washed her candied valium down with wine before the ceremony. "Happy Burfday 'merica!"

Michelle of the helium voice made me all scratchy in annoyance until the very end. When she said she kind of wished one of the other guest brides would win the honeymoon because she knew they really didn't have the money for a honeymoon was very sweet.

One day soon I'll get my data collected from the research I've done on this show. 

11 more days until August 15!

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 1

My biggest pet peeve is when the guest brides attend an ethnic wedding and then complain about the lack of American food. I saw that happen with an Indian girl where the guest brides bitched about the buffet stations not having labels. Um, just because YOU don't know what the food is doesn't mean the other 400 guests don't. Then on the flip side they'll complain about a bride's food being "typical catering hall fare." Make up your damn minds!

• Love 2

Um, just because YOU don't know what the food is doesn't mean the other 400 guests don't.

I'm torn on this. I highly doubt that even fellow Indian guests would be able to identify the food on sight alone. I bet tons of folks there were asking, "What is this?", but in a polite, less fish-out-of-water way. And what if you had food issues (allergies) or couldn't handle intense spice? In some cases, too much spice can burn mouths or make diners ill, depending on palate. In that respect I think it is sort of thoughtless, verging on rude, not to label food. Heck, even if I had standard American fare I'd label it.

Edited by ScullyInApt42
  • Love 3

I saw an episode on Sunday where one bride marked another down for having flowers, because she herself is not a fan of flowers. ????

I think it was the nastiest episode I'd ever seen, one bride complaining the others were boring for not taking shots at the reception, and then griping because one bride had a sign that said, No Shots. I think two of the brides ganged up on the fourth one, because she was reserved and, well, classy. It seems like the producers asked nasty bride about it, because she said she bonded with one other bride, but not the last one, as she was so reserved.

Still, can't wait for this show to come back this week!

I think if you have to have a sign at your wedding prohibiting shots then your friends--and likely you, as well--are not mature enough to get married. It's not a frat party.

Looking forward to new episodes!

• Love 1

Nope, did'nt think badly of the bride who had the "no shots" sign at her wedding. I did think that there was an underlying problem regarding alcohol consumption at a wedding where there was so much emphasis on partying and getting drunk. Call me old fashioned, while I do enjoy a cocktail; I'm not gonna drink til I puke. Those days were pretty much over by the time I was a sophmore in college.  The ringleader of the shot brigade of this episode was a trollish, prison guard? Oh, excuse me, corrections officer. She came in LAST.  Unfortunately, her soul mate shot loving fellow bride whose Mom actually planned her wedding, came in first. I was hoping that this bride would say, "Gee, since my Mom did all of the wedding planning, I'm gonna slide this vacay right over to her" Nope, Mom was gonna get a kiss on the cheek.

New Four Weddings this week. The promo for the show has one of the brides descending from the ceiling! I don't even need to watch, if that bish does'nt win; I'll know there were some stone cold haters.

• Love 2

Oh Kara the bitch prison bitch who resembles a bulldog? Love that episode. The 2 girls were bitches to the shy but demure red head. What's funny is you know how they show like a minute of getting ready for the wedding before the wedding? It was her (bulldog) and her dad getting out of an old car at the chapel and you can hear him, "now Kara, remember, he comes from a good family...".

There was another episode where it was like 3 Latin brides and 1 blonde.  All 3 Latina's ganged up on the blonde and were total bitches to her and low balled her. When one won, another one said at the end, "well, I didn't win, but as long as it wasn't Jessica (the blonde) who won, I don't care who did". As far as I could tell, Jessica never did anything to them. One of the girls was like an hour and a half late and showed up with nasty 90's curls.

Yeah it looks like the bride coming down from the ceiling is also the one that says it's not a circus theme, but is actually a circus.

I remember the bride with the ringlets! And I was completely aghast at that episode--bitches! The ringlet bride got married in some sort of strip mall chapel, and yes, she was very, very late. I recall the blonde bride's wedding being really nice. There seems to be theme on some of these episodes--if the three other brides are not classy girls and one bride is, they will gang up on her.

• Love 1

I remember that one. The blond had her wedding at a yacht club or something, and it was really nice. The fat little loudmouth with the awful ringlet hair was a nasty piece of work. However, the greatest show of sour grapes was the New Orleans bride. Remember? The wedding where her bridesmaids pushed the other brides off the dance floor, and they did'nt feel safe? The bride who was almost unrecognizable at her wedding d/t long flowing hair extensions and gold eye make-up? They bleeped out her "BS" or "F**K" at the end  when they ask how they feel.

Ugh, Kara. The other brides are not your prisoners and don't have to do what you say. I also thought the red head was a prig, which is classless in its own way.

Am watching the Grilled Cheese episode with the really tall/really short brides whose family and friends catered their reception. I really felt for them when Stephanie complained about not being able to have 3 meat options from the buffet. Obviously the brides weren't wealthy, and everyone agreed the food was excellent. No one went hungry, either, given all the sides. They just asked you to limit yourself to 2 meats. (Sorry to rehash my complaints from TWoP. Stephanie's lack of graciousness really pissed me off. The brides threw a fun wedding with help from the people who love them. Stephanie threw money at some wedding mill.)

And Stephanie's hair looked like synthetic wigs and extensions.

• Love 1

Just watched this episode too. I couldn't figure out what color Stephanie's hair was supposed to be. At times it almost looked purple. So glad she didn't win. I thought all the other ladies weddings were nice and reflected who they were.

I watched the Pittsburgh episode. Can I just say, I was glad the Steelers fan didn't win. She was soooooo sure she had the best wedding, and sooooo critical of the other three. The food at the military wedding and the "wood themed" wedding looked delicious, but it wasn't her kind of food. She didn't like the wood theme, but thought there should have been more wood? IDK, I think she was going out of her way to be snarky. I kind of liked Jennifer's traditional military wedding best, not because it was anything different or amazing but because it was nicely old-fashioned. I liked that she wore her mother's dress, and it looked good. The food looked good, and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Having a wedding at a football stadium was undoubtedly meaningful for the couple, since it appears they are major sports fans (and Steelers fans). But it's not the be-all and end-all. I thought the reception space was much too big and looked like an airport terminal with decorations. The food stations were fun, for sure, but nothing else about that wedding stood out to me.

I also saw part of the episode with the circus themed wedding. I missed their backstory, so I don't know why that theme was chosen. It was interesting, but a tad much for my taste. As one bride said, it was more like a show than a wedding. Though in fairness, the couple seemed very into it and happy. It was certainly memorable. What's the deal with food carts - is that the latest wedding trend? Have to say I think it's kind of rude to your guests to serve the food that way. Food trucks were on two of the shows aired last night.

Please tell me $100,000 pretty princess bride with three dresses did NOT win! Could not STAND her and her lineup of wedding shoes. Talk about spoiled.

• Love 1

Watched the 2 new ones, and I was also glad that the Steelers bride didn't win.

She was the bitch of the lot. 
I was surprised the yoga one won, just because she was the one I kept forgetting.

In this season, they only show you the budget once, at the start of the each wedding.  I thought before, that they showed it several times, including when they showed the rankings, at the end.
The circus wedding, one of the Seattle ones, was because she and her fiance owned a trapeze school, where they had the wedding.
The highest budget of the 4 was $17K, which would be the lowest in many of the shows.
None of the Seattle brides was bitchy, althought the tribal bride was pretty picky, and didn't seem to bond with the others.
It was pretty funny at the end, when one of the losers said, "and I made 2 new friends," and the stumbled and tried to make it seem she'd said something else, and said "made 3 new friends," but they left it all in.

• Love 2

I gotta say, I hate that Whoville haircut on the Steelers bride, and she was a bitch. "I don't eat cake", STFU! Military bride was sweet, and she did the best she could with the dress; but the fit could have been better. There was'nt a lot about her wedding that made it unique IMO. The Yoga bride's wedding was very nice. Elegant outdoor decorations, but I felt the centerpieces were umimaginative, they've been done before, (remember the girl who cut had like labled tree stumps with flowers in them?); and better. Her food looked amazing, and well, she was sexy as hell. The shabby chic barn bride was nice but IDK, I have been to weddings where it's been unseasonably warm and just been miserable. The Seattle group were pretty good.I did notice that with the exception of trapeze bride, they don't mention their occupations anymore, which is a shame b/c I'd be curious to find out what Monica does,(but not enough to google her). So, here's the problem I have with the show sometimes, Monica's wedding looked like a blast! I really think that whoever provides the best party should win. Often, it coincides with the best food, and the bride looks particularly lovely but experience should figure into half the score. Also, while it's fun to snark on a gown, it should be not be included in the scoring. The tribal bride was low balling people which I can't stand. The tribal influence was interesting but the food looked really bad. The right person won IMO. When the bish descends from the ceiling twirling, there is no contest. Her husband was a little odd, was he a lost Beatle? Anyhoo, Monica looked great at their wedding in her tophat.

• Love 1

The Seattle group were pretty good.I did notice that with the exception of trapeze bride, they don't mention their occupations anymore, which is a shame b/c I'd be curious to find out what Monica does,(but not enough to google her).

For heaven sakes, I was so intent on backtracking to find the budgets, that I didn't even notice this.  And it can matter, like when the bride is a wedding planner, or in charge of banquets at the facility she uses.

Good catch!  I hope they don't go on like this, because I'll be damn if I'll take notes during the show.

To me, the Steelers bride's haricut was like one some twins wore when I was in college, many years ago.

I don't think that the gown should be off-limits, but I do think some parts of the ceremony should be. 

If the bride has a full Mass, it will be long.  And one time, a bride who got married in her family church, lost points because it was by a subway line, and you could hear a lot of noise.

If the ceremony is delayed by the bride, or obstrusive cameras are allowed, then mark 'em down.

I agree. Too many times some of the contestants have been downright rude in the churches, bitching that the ceremony is too long or they did'nt get a special program telling them what every aspect of the service means. The budgets for the Seattle brides were fairly modest. Monica's venue was her backyard, Trapeze girl was their studio, and the tribal venue looked to be a banquet hall that if on native land, they probably got for a discount, if not free. The redhead's venue was the only "traditional" space. True story, one of my collegues daughter was going to be on the show, but her NYC venue, a restaurant they rented out refused to let them film there. The wedding was nice but nothing unique and they went to Sardinia for their honeymoon so money was'nt an issue. I can't stand it when they say, "After all this work, we really need a honeymoon!". Well, damn girl, don't spend all your money on the wedding then! The Canadians seem more polite than the US brides so I enjoy those episodes, they're always so happy to get that piece of cheesecake!

• Love 1

Loved the canoe entrance. It was beautiful! Huge pet peeve - live animals as decorations. An much as I was enjoying the tribal aspects of their ceremony, the second I saw the fish, I hated it.

I loved Monica's wedding and I am not usually fan of such casual affairs. It just looked like so much fun!

Loved Karen's hair! Has there been a Four Weddings at that location before? It looked really familiar like I had seen it before. This will sound really bad, but I did notice she had those horrid white plastic chairs for both the ceremony an reception. I hate those things. They are so uncomfortable. Her reception looked really boring. I was surprised to see such high scores....

Kari also had the crappy white plastic chairs. Loved her entrance - definitely unique!

• Love 1

Oh, I don't know, I liked the Shabby Chic bride's wedding.  I don't remember her name, but she had the long dark hair.  I thought she was pretty funny and likeable.  I was hoping she'd win, but she ranked high at least.

I loved the lady with the wading boots, Monica?  She looked like such an easy going fun person.

Monica was the cougar lady, and pretty funny, but I did hate her dress, although they all liked it.

A nice crop of brides.

And the Canadian brides aren't necessarily more polite, and a few seasons back there were comments on how bitchy they could be.

Well, y'all know, especially auntjess, that I do take notes during the show! Except they're at home. They've never shown the occupation of the bride, but often said it during the introductions. And sometimes during the introductions, the narrator would say, "To keep within her $50,000, she is...", and then they'd always have the budget at the intro of each brides wedding.  This time, it wasn't said at all, just at the intro. They also cut those pictures. It's head only now which I think is stupid. I enjoyed it better when you can see the whole dress.  I have my notes at home (I'm at work) but can answer more questions about the budgets later if anyone is wondering.

My thoughts on the episodes, coming up.  Loved reading everyone's, they gave us a ton of material to snark on.

• Love 1

I agree. Too many times some of the contestants have been downright rude in the churches, bitching that the ceremony is too long or they did'nt get a special program telling them what every aspect of the service means.

I agree! Don't fault a couple for not having the same cultural or religious background as yourself. It is so self-centred! But, I do think it is nice to provide a bit of an explanation in a program if a lot of your guests don't share your traditions. I had a pretty traditional Jewish wedding, and had a brief explanation of what would be seen at the ceremony, because much of the ceremony was in Hebrew. 

I can't stand it when they say, "After all this work, we really need a honeymoon!". Well, damn girl, don't spend all your money on the wedding then!

We all "need" a honeymoon! I know many couples who have asked for travel vouchers rather than gifts. It is a little self-centred to think you need a honeymoon more than the other three couples.

I thought the Seattle brides were all pretty cool. Monica was a trip. The only thing I didn't like was when the canoe bride proclaimed that she should win because she had a CANOE (insert whine). She was the least gracious when she didn't win. I wish Monica would have won.  

As for the Pittsburgh brides, I'm glad the Steeler bride lost. She thought her wedding was the winner by far. I liked the barn reception, but she went WAY too far with the shabby chic theme. It looked like a flea market.

New season, back to the same old scoring bitchitude from the brides. It was chilly, bride gets a 5. The ceremony was long, she gets a 6, The ceremony was short, she gets a 6. No vegetarian option, 5 for you!. I don't like her colors, you get a 6. Clearly these women don't understand the meaning of "overall experience".  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 1

But you see some people, who don't want to spend a fortune, and use friends and plastic, and are just lambasted for this, as if it was the worst thing in the world.
I figure at least these people have friends willing to help.
A lot of times, the brides have oversold their wedding, usually as to food, but for some of the casual ones, I think they're not that concerned about the show, and just do it as they would anyway.

I agree and truth be told, of all the Seattle weddings; I liked Monica's the best. Don't know about the free tat, (take that wedding mint favor!); but the food looked good, the liquor was flowing, and it looked like everyone was having a ball. I think the most oversold aspect of these weddings are the themes, decorations. I've seen some clever DIY centerpieces, but I absolutely hate the live fish in a vase. I would also like to see more of an age diversity, Seattle I think did this beautifully. I do like how how they edit the programs. I can usually figure out who won most of the time by how  the winner is portrayed.

(edited)

I agree about fish as decorations.
As to age diversity, I'm not sure, because I've seen an 18-year-old bride out of place among a group of older women.
There seems to be a greater difference between  18 and 28, than between 28 and 48.
It's whether you're out in the world, or not, or so it seems to me.

Edited by auntjess

Flowing liquor and free tattoos might be a problem for a wedding reception. I wonder how that worked out for the guests the next day :)

I hadn't thought of that, but I can see the possibilities.

I liked Monica's dress, actually.  I liked the teal/pistachio color peaking out from the lace.

I am joining the chorus on the fish as centerpieces.  What happens to them after the reception?  What if they die during?  What does that say about your future karma having dead fish floating around during dinner?

And about the Pittsburgh brides, I too am happy the Steelers bride didn't win.  She seemed a little fussy and high maintenance.

I liked the teal/pistachio color peaking out from the lace.

My new mission in life is to educate about teal. Everyone, including some store catalogues think teal is either turquoise or a pale blue.  It is a very rich, dark, green/blue. Not that anyone probably cares, but I'll say it anyway.

Back to the subject, I liked her dress, as I usually like a little different, but hers looked too antiquey.  Kind of dirty.  I liked her wedding probably the best, but in a way it screamed out "we're trying so hard to be different! And unique! And kitschy! And see how eclectic!"  There's always the wet-blanket bride and that was definitely Tribal bride for Seattle. Pittsburgh was definitely Steelers bride with Whoville hair (awesome Patrizio!). And what was she all pissed about at the beginning? They did her hair wrong? It looked exactly the same?  Who wears that hair and thinks, "perfect!"?  I liked Shabby Chic bride mainly because she had The Spazzmatics (Google them) as her wedding band. I don't know how she did it, but that was 18,000 kinds of awesome.  She seemed pretty fun too.  With that, I was shocked Wood bride won. She just didn't seem to have the coolest wedding according to the others.  Not bad, but not awesome either.  I liked Jennifer too, being a former Air Force spouse.  They were all nice really, except for Steeler-Who.

My new mission in life is to educate about teal. Everyone, including some store catalogues think teal is either turquoise or a pale blue.  It is a very rich, dark, green/blue. Not that anyone probably cares, but I'll say it anyway.

Back to the subject, I liked her dress, as I usually like a little different, but hers looked too antiquey.  Kind of dirty.  I liked her wedding probably the best, but in a way it screamed out "we're trying so hard to be different! And unique! And kitschy! And see how eclectic!"  There's always the wet-blanket bride and that was definitely Tribal bride for Seattle. Pittsburgh was definitely Steelers bride with Whoville hair (awesome Patrizio!). And what was she all pissed about at the beginning? They did her hair wrong? It looked exactly the same?  Who wears that hair and thinks, "perfect!"?  I liked Shabby Chic bride mainly because she had The Spazzmatics (Google them) as her wedding band. I don't know how she did it, but that was 18,000 kinds of awesome.  She seemed pretty fun too.  With that, I was shocked Wood bride won. She just didn't seem to have the coolest wedding according to the others.  Not bad, but not awesome either.  I liked Jennifer too, being a former Air Force spouse.  They were all nice really, except for Steeler-Who.

My sister had teal...the real thing as her wedding color in 1992.  She's hoping it's making a comeback in time for one of her daughter's to use it.

As far as the Wood bride winning, I thought maybe it was an accident.  I know they try to keep the brides from lowballing by having them rank the weddings.  I was thinking maybe a couple of the other brides ranked her high thinking no one else would do the same but it just pushed her to the top.

• Love 2