Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast of Victoria: Acting Royalty

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Four members of the "Victoria" cast are in the BBC series "A Very English Scandal" which will be streaming on Amazon Prime at the end of the month.  It's a 3 part series about the trial of Jeremy Thorpe for conspiracy to murder a young man who had been his lover in the early 1960's.  It's really good and absolutely hysterical despite the subject matter.

Alex Jennings plays Peter Bessell who was a friend of Thorpe.  The other 3 have somewhat smaller roles: Eve Myles plays a friend of Norman Scott who is the intended victim, the actress who played Lady Flora Hastings plays Jeremy Thorpe's first wife and David Bamber plays an eccentric lord who is obsessed with badgers.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2017 at 5:06 PM, graybrown bird said:

Has anyone else here seen Rufus Sewell in the BBC's "Shakespeare Retold" version of the Taming of the Shrew? He plays opposite Shirley Henderson, and they are both brilliant in it.  It's a wild ride!  Sally Wainwright wrote the script. 

On 1/23/2017 at 5:06 PM, graybrown bird said:

Sorry—I didn’t mean to quote twice. Yes, Rufus Sewell and Shirley Henderson make a wonderful modern-day Petruchio and Kate.

On 1/16/2017 at 2:23 PM, TxanGoddess said:

Like a lot of you I was excited by the casting of delicious-AF-Rufus Sewell.  I loved Pillars of the Earth-book and show- and Tom Builder was my favorite character and casting.

On the Pillars note, David Oakes shows up in the cast about midway through (I've seen the whole first season) and he is a damn good actor.  I was totally repelled at the first site of him -William Hamleigh icks- but I started to really like him by the end of the season.  Impressive since he had made such a detestable villian prior.

I couldn’t finish watching Pillars after Oakes’s brutally graphic rape scene, but he’s redeeming himself here. Somewhat. I’m still waiting for trouble. . . .

• Love 1

Had the tv on for background noise while doing some work. Looked up to find Hercules (the 2014 version with The Rock) on. As you would imagine, it is pretty bad. How do I know? Because I kept watching, and watching, and watching, for one reason . . .   

hercules2.jpg

Hercules.jpg

Edited by SailorGirl
spelling matters
  • Love 6

Actually if you look at some of the photos, and paintings, of the very young Victoria, she was rather lovely in the way that most young people are--no not a ravishing beauty, but fresh and pretty, later of course after years of pregnancy she because fat and dumpy. The thing to remember is that when she met Albert (who also became dumpy in his 30's and bald) that "lightening" bolt of lust hit her (and by all reports Albert reciprocated) their love affair was hot stuff, LOL. I can't wait until the series gets past this Melbourne speculative fiction (the real Lord M, a handsome man in youth apparently) was 60 when Victoria was 18 and well past the Rufus "swoon-worthy" Sewell stage--in reality, she was a girl who needed guidance, not a creepy "funny uncle." Yes I resent the line the series takes on this issue.

• Love 3
On 12/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, LiveenLetLive said:

Actually if you look at some of the photos, and paintings, of the very young Victoria, she was rather lovely in the way that most young people are--no not a ravishing beauty, but fresh and pretty, later of course after years of pregnancy she because fat and dumpy. The thing to remember is that when she met Albert (who also became dumpy in his 30's and bald) that "lightening" bolt of lust hit her (and by all reports Albert reciprocated) their love affair was hot stuff, LOL. I can't wait until the series gets past this Melbourne speculative fiction (the real Lord M, a handsome man in youth apparently) was 60 when Victoria was 18 and well past the Rufus "swoon-worthy" Sewell stage--in reality, she was a girl who needed guidance, not a creepy "funny uncle." Yes I resent the line the series takes on this issue.

After reading the history of the real life Lord M, who had a “thing” for underaged girls, made his wife Caroline do things that seemed to cause her emotional distress, and persuaded Victoria to look the other way when Lord M’s brother-in-law, Lord Palmerston, forced himself on one of Victoria’s ladies, I have a hard time understanding why the show did such a glow up on Lord M (making him out to be some ideal, self sacrificing man, who was the only one to respect Victoria). Even putting aside the real history, this unrequited love affair between the two that the show created makes one call in to question whether Lord M really thought that Victoria had the potential to be a great Queen, or whether he was just flattering her because he was in love with her and wanted her to fall in love with him in return.

• Love 2

Nolefan, Lucy Worlsey, in the Victoria wedding special I refer to ^ seems to think that Lord M had a little crush on Victoria, he apparently cried like a baby at the wedding, LOL. whatever the truth, he sure as hell didn't look like Sewell at the time, I was so happy when the series got past that bit of fantasy. As for the real Lord M and teenage girls and having a distressed wife, have you heard about the number Charles Dickens did on his long suffering and constantly pregnant wife?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

Nolefan, Lucy Worlsey, in the Victoria wedding special I refer to ^ seems to think that Lord M had a little crush on Victoria, he apparently cried like a baby at the wedding, LOL. whatever the truth, he sure as hell didn't look like Sewell at the time, I was so happy when the series got past that bit of fantasy. As for the real Lord M and teenage girls and having a distressed wife, have you heard about the number Charles Dickens did on his long suffering and constantly pregnant wife?

The Victoria and Albert wedding special does not air in the US until January 13, right after the Season 3 premiere episode of ‘Victoria,’ so I have not seen it yet. Not sure what I think of Lucy Worlsey’s work. She acts like she does all this independent historical research on her subjects, but her books just seem to parrot other sources. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, please elaborate. Thanks. 

Here is the general story, Dickens dumped his wife (who he impregnated over and over again, she gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy) of over 20 years for a 17 year old actress---for the gory details: 

• Love 3
On 12/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, LiveenLetLive said:

Here is the general story, Dickens dumped his wife (who he impregnated over and over again, she gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy) of over 20 years for a 17 year old actress---for the gory details: 

Dickens was a great author but a horrible human being.  Quite frankly he is one of those artists where learning about his life and his shitty morals - while being all hoity-toity and moralizing in his writing - kind of soured me on his books. A grade A hypocrite and his relationship with the teenage actress was - to be generous - lets say a tad icky.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, magdalene said:
On 12/29/2018 at 12:08 PM, LiveenLetLive said:

Dickens was a great author but a horrible human being. 

Sounds like he needed to be visited by a ghost or two himself.  Slimeball.

• Love 5

If you wanted to know what the cast of S1 and S2 look like in and out of their characters (plus what their characters ACTUALLY looked like) here is an interesting link.  No pics from S3 though

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/g3196/cast-victoria-real-life/?slide=21

And holy crap I didn't know this!

https://www.bustle.com/p/are-jenna-coleman-tom-hughes-engaged-her-ring-certainly-got-people-guessing-11937102

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

I just watched the movie musical Les Miserables, and saw that Kate Fleetwood, the actress who played Feodora, was one of the nasty factory workers who caused Fantine to be fired.  A bad guy in every role she plays, it seems.

She was helped by Hannah Waddingham, Septa Unella (the "shame" nun) in Game of Thrones

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2019 at 4:32 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I just watched the movie musical Les Miserables, and saw that Kate Fleetwood, the actress who played Feodora, was one of the nasty factory workers who caused Fantine to be fired.  A bad guy in every role she plays, it seems

She was sympathetic as Mary Cattermole in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One. Favorite part is where she kisses Ron who's disguised as her husband but the spell wears off so she ends up kissing Rupert Grint!

downloadfile.thumb.jpg.64d4227f3ead96b39c0a9502f3d7d518.jpg

64-3.jpg.3f97d0e94ea43887eb8349e07e6b5a13.jpg

Jenna posted a tribute to the late Diana Rigg:

• Love 3