Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast of Victoria: Acting Royalty

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I would normally be all over this show, but I really hate Jenna Coleman with the fire of a thousand burning suns.  She ruined the 11th Doctor, and she was the reason Peter Capaldi's doctor had such a rough start.  It will be difficult to get over my loathing. She'll have to really be different from Cora for me to stand the show, and from the previews, it doesn't look like she is.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, Ripley68 said:

I would normally be all over this show, but I really hate Jenna Coleman with the fire of a thousand burning suns.  She ruined the 11th Doctor, and she was the reason Peter Capaldi's doctor had such a rough start.  It will be difficult to get over my loathing. She'll have to really be different from Cora for me to stand the show, and from the previews, it doesn't look like she is.

Come sit next to me, you've got company! And I doubt we're alone, by a long shot. I got so sick of JC early on that I could barely watch Doctor Who! Worst companion ever and that's saying a whole lot. Still won't watch reruns of her seasons. Bad casting choice for Masterpiece.

• Love 2

I already know I hold the unpopular opinion of liking Jenna Coleman. I liked her as Clara on Doctor Who and she is one of my favorite companions. I probably would have watched Victoria anyway, but she added to me tuning in. In my biased opinion I thought she was quite good as Victoria throughout the series. I really liked the whole cast though. 

I feel like I am seeing Alex Jennings who plays King Leopold in Victoria everywhere. He was in The Crown and popped up in The Halcyon. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, Ripley68 said:

I didn't dislike Clara as much as some other DW fans, but I'll admit that after the first episode, I'm still having a bit of trouble separating Clara and Victoria in my head. Both characters, for different reasons, have been depicted as always believing they knew/know best, so kudos to Masterpiece for picking up on that nuance in Jenna's portrayal of an imperious Clara and casting her as a monarch. That said, there were a couple of times in this first episode (ex: the matter of Lady Flora) when Victoria was shown to have been in error that I realized I was pleased that Clara was getting her comeuppance. 

• Love 1

Like a lot of you I was excited by the casting of delicious-AF-Rufus Sewell.  I loved Pillars of the Earth-book and show- and Tom Builder was my favorite character and casting.

On the Pillars note, David Oakes shows up in the cast about midway through (I've seen the whole first season) and he is a damn good actor.  I was totally repelled at the first site of him -William Hamleigh icks- but I started to really like him by the end of the season.  Impressive since he had made such a detestable villian prior.

• Love 4

Agreed 100% about Pillars, Rufus, Oakes etc. I too have seen the whole season. Fantastic and just my cup of tea. For some I couldn't get into The Crown. Maybe it is the perpetual bags under Claire Foy's eyes. I might try again but I'd rather watch this again.

• Love 1

As much as I cannot stand Clara Oswald, especially with the Eleventh Doctor, I've been willing to give Jenna Coleman the benefit of the doubt.  My problem with Clara was (is?) the way the character was written, not with the actress.  And as Victoria, I like her.  

• Love 4

I've never seen Jenna Coleman in anything else so am coming into this with no prejudice whatsoever. I think she's doing a great job in her portrayal of Victoria, although I'm sure she is way prettier than Victoria ever was. Every picture I've ever seen of the real person, she looked like a chinless wonder.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Every picture I've ever seen of the real person, she looked like a chinless wonder.

Right? I was looking up photos of her after watching the episode and it seems like she was an early Streisand, only posing in profile or 3/4 view. Your majesty, that is NOT a good look with the no-chin thing you have going on.

• Love 3

Actually if you look at some of the photos, and paintings, of the very young Victoria, she was rather lovely in the way that most young people are--no not a ravishing beauty, but fresh and pretty,

Spoiler

later of course after years of pregnancy she because fat and dumpy. The thing to remember is that when she met Albert (who also became dumpy in his 30's and bald) that "lightening" bolt of lust hit her (and by all reports Albert reciprocated) their love affair was hot stuff, LOL. I can't wait until the series gets past this Melbourne speculative fiction (the real Lord M, a handsome man in youth apparently) was 60 when Victoria was 18 and well past the Rufus "swoon-worthy" Sewell stage--in reality, she was a girl who needed guidance, not a creepy "funny uncle." Yes I resent the line the series takes on this issue.

Edited by SilverStormm
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 6

what kinda geeks me out is the fact that besides Jenna there are at least two other actors who were previously on Doctor Who or a spinoff; Adrian Schiller who played Uncle in the awesome episode The Doctor's Wife and Tommy Knight otherwise known as Luke Smith the super genius adopted son of Sarah Jane.

Speaking of Tommy wow he sure has grown. I almost didn't recognize him.

If it was somehow planned that Alex Jennings would play two monarchs who yearn for a life that was almost theirs (Leopold, ruler of Britain; David/Edward VIII, a crowned King) on two shows about female monarchs, that was pure genius.

• Love 9
On 1/21/2017 at 2:00 AM, madhacker said:

what kinda geeks me out is the fact that besides Jenna there are at least two other actors who were previously on Doctor Who or a spinoff; Adrian Schiller who played Uncle in the awesome episode The Doctor's Wife and Tommy Knight otherwise known as Luke Smith the super genius adopted son of Sarah Jane.

Speaking of Tommy wow he sure has grown. I almost didn't recognize him.

Yep, and now we can add Eve Myles from Torchwood, too. Ugh. Between her and Coleman I don't know which is worse. Probably Myles. I'm only half ass watching on replays due to Coleman anyway. I do wish I could enjoy it more.

Thanks for the tip about Tommy -- I recognized him, but wasn't sure from what. Now I know. I do remember Adrian Schiller from one of the absolute best Who eps.

8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

If it was somehow planned that Alex Jennings would play two monarchs who yearn for a life that was almost theirs (Leopold, ruler of Britain; David/Edward VIII, a crowned King) on two shows about female monarchs, that was pure genius.

I just wonder if he has a huge thing for playing royalty, since he also portrayed Prince Charles in The Queen.

Okay, so I gave in and watched last night.  Have to say, didn't hate it.  Though I still saw flashes of "clara," I think the contacts Jenna is wearing help remove that some for me.  She's coming off just as she should be, an inexperienced girl trying to assert herself.

3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

When Victoria is playing piano and Albert come up to turn the page, the actor looked a lot like Prince... his Purple Majesty.

Seriously, you won't be able to think otherwise now.

You totally made my day with this comment! :D :D :D

I've been watching "Murdoch Mysteries" on Netflix.  Just started Season 4, and I was unpleasantly surprised to notice that the new pathologist is played by the same actor who plays Sir John in "Victoria".  This actor appears to have little range.  He has the same dour demeanor and just as in Victoria, he comes across as a bit effeminate.  Seems like he is gone from "Victoria", hopefully for good, and I'm at the point in Season 4 Murdoch where it seems like Dr. Julia Ogden is returning and maybe this guy will leave as well.  I don't know what it is about this actor that elicits such a visceral reaction from me.  I hope to avoid anything he appears in in the future.

I seem to equate Rufus Sewell with playing really unhinged characters.  He's doing a lovely job as Melbourne, but I just keep waiting for him to lose his shit and start chewing scenery.  

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Miss Chevious said:

I've never seen Jenna Coleman in anything else so am coming into this with no prejudice whatsoever. I think she's doing a great job in her portrayal of Victoria, although I'm sure she is way prettier than Victoria ever was. Every picture I've ever seen of the real person, she looked like a chinless wonder.

I went to look up a photo of Queen Victoria that would have been somewhere in the age that we're seeing in the show.  I found this one.

Victoria.png

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, Badger said:

I remember watching this on Saturday mornings.  Campy.

I didn't watch Doctor Who after 10, and a half season of 11, so I had no preconceived notions about Jenna. I'd heard complaints about the contact lenses, and those don't bother me, either. It took me a while to place Eve Myles, and her character seems like a small role for her.

I liked Rufus best in Zen, but it was cancelled fairly quickly, so I guess I was alone on that one.

Really liking David Oakes.  *drool*

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

Your cat and Albert have the same taste... or in this case... distaste for bagpipes...

The  Hunka Hunka Highlander is cast to be Prince Harry...

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/who-is-murray-fraser-lifetimes-harry-meghan-finally-has-its-royal-couple-leads-8128995

Prince Harry really pales in comparison to Murray...

And here's is the Meghan Markle...

http://deadline.com/2018/02/harry-meghan-parisa-fitz-henley-murray-fraser-star-lifetime-prince-harry-meghan-markle-movie-1202278533/

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Jazzhands said:

My god, his cheekbones look like they’re carved out of marble.  He’s so gorgeous he’s almost painful to look at. 

I know. I can’t wait for the next season of The Man in the High Castle (which he is a star in) to begin. 

• Love 4

This made me smile...

https://www.google.com/search?q=david+oakes+instagram&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0ieaQ_6_ZAhVGx2MKHYLbCqwQ7AkIQw&biw=1440&bih=769#imgrc=pKrY3hDAtJzZKM:

Look at the grumpy face of "Francatelli".  Anyways, I finally realized where I know "Mrs. Skerritt" from by looking at this picture - the first season of Outlander. Her role there wasn't nearly as nice as on Victoria.

• Love 3

Wow.  My darling David Oakes played a creepy David Lynch-type character on the Season 1 finale of Ripper Street.

Man, how do I get that out of my head??  I'm going to have to watch the bathtub scene on a loop.  For an hour.

• Love 1