Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter One: And Let My Cry Come Unto Thee

Finally got around to watching this. I liked it. Strong cast and cinematography. Great roles for Ben Daniels and Alan Ruck, though I think I missed the reason why the father has mental issues. I'm so glad I didn't watch it at night. That attic scene. Gah! And Tubular Bells always gives me goosebumps. Don't know if this can be interesting for more than one season but it's off to a good start.

Edited by numbnut
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, numbnut said:

I think I missed the reason why the father has mental issues

The implication is that he has early-onset Alzheimer's.

As someone mentioned, the Billy Goat tavern is the Chicago bar made famous in the John Belushi SNL sketch (from back in the first or second season, so some of you may not be old enough to remember it): "Cheezburgie! Cheezburgie! No fries, chips! "

I'm not a horror aficionado. I've never read a single Steven King novel. But in the very first scene with Fr. Tomas, I thought "OMG, did they get Antonio Banderas for this show? No, that can't be right! But does Antonio Banderas have a son?" That guy is smokin' hot. Said by my almost-ready-to-collect-Social-Security lips.

BTW, there is no Bedford, Illinois. There is a Bedford, Indiana, but it's way down in south central Indiana which would be too far for a casual drive.  I don't know much about the Catholic Church, but I do know that there are retreat facilities for priests.  Unfortunately, you generally hear about them when a priest accused of being a pedophile gets sent to one for some R&R.

Am I the only one who didn't catch that it was the "good" sister up in the attic?  First there's the Kat/Casey business with the names which is confusing, and second, they did an amazing job casting the 2 actresses, they really do look like sisters.  I can't tell them apart, at least yet.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Am I the only one who didn't catch that it was the "good" sister up in the attic?  First there's the Kat/Casey business with the names which is confusing, and second, they did an amazing job casting the 2 actresses, they really do look like sisters.  I can't tell them apart, at least yet.

Yeah, they did a good job with the bait and switch. The "good" sister is a crafty demon while the sulky sister is just a bitch. (JK. I know she's acting out because she lost a friend and misses her dad.)

Edited by numbnut
On 2016-09-23 at 10:01 PM, SimoneS said:

I wonder if the father (Cameron from Ferris Bueller) in his condition can somehow help.

Christian tradition has often held that that the mentally "simple" are closer to God and are often used as conduits or messengers because their minds are not contaminated by the "clutter" of everyday life.

On 2016-09-23 at 10:11 PM, SimoneS said:

What always irks me about these exorcist type movies is that angels never seem to there to help out. It is always the priest and his faith which always strikes me as way insufficient against powerful demons.

I agree.  The Almighty and His/Her team seems to sit back and observe an awful lot.

I enjoyed it; I'll probably keep watching.

One thing -- the music is fairly light -- no heavy "thumps" or anything like that (I'm not expressing myself well), so why is "Tubular Bells" such a creepy soundtrack?  (And I was really pleased to see that they are using it.)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Pippin said:

One thing -- the music is fairly light -- no heavy "thumps" or anything like that (I'm not expressing myself well), so why is "Tubular Bells" such a creepy soundtrack?  (And I was really pleased to see that they are using it.)

The Halloween theme is only a piano, yet it too is quite distinctive.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, Pippin said:

Maybe you associate it from the original Exorcist, I know I do.  But also, many movies use innocent/happy sounding songs and it is incredibly creepy.  I'm remembering the children singing in Amityville Horror.  I also think anything sung in Latin or Religious/Catholic sounding is creepy.  It creeps me out because I'm not Catholic, and Latin just sounds inherently evil to me - I'm a horror fan, and particularly love possession stories.

Just watched the first two episodes yesterday.  I love the cast but I'm not buying the attraction between Angela and Father Tomas.  I'm all for older woman/younger man, but not only is she married, the actress is 27 years older than the actor.  I think Geena is much older than the character, but they were happy to get an actress of that caliber.  I'm fine with it (Geena was in her late forties when she had her children) but I don't buy the emotional affair.

I also thought it strange that Angela sounds like an agnostic or even atheist.  They go to church religiously (ha!) and their children know very formal sounding grace that they recite easily.  But it's even stranger that the family priest asked her if she believed in God. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:50 PM, SoSueMe said:

When I looked at Geena Davis I wasn't thinking surgery, I am naive. I thought that maybe it was a little extra weight. She kind of looked her age (60) to me.

Same for me. She's had three children. I think it's nearly impossible for any actress to resist a few nips and tucks and still get work. At least until you're into your dowager years. 

There may be a little smoothing in the lines of Geena's face, ( her face looks tighter than it did in Grey's Anatomy) but I also think they we are not accustomed to seeing the face of an actual 60-year-old woman and I say that as actual 60-year-old woman.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Just watched the first two episodes yesterday.  I love the cast but I'm not buying the attraction between Angela and Father Tomas.  I'm all for older woman/younger man, but not only is she married, the actress is 27 years older than the actor.  I think Geena is much older than the character, but they were happy to get an actress of that caliber.  I'm fine with it (Geena was in her late forties when she had her children) but I don't buy the emotional affair.

Sorry, but what are you referring to? I didn't see any form of an affair between them, emotionally or physically.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Sorry, but what are you referring to? I didn't see any form of an affair between them, emotionally or physically.

Oops. Maybe I'm referring to episode two. I watched them back to back.  I apologize if I spoiled. 

10 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Oops. Maybe I'm referring to episode two. I watched them back to back.  I apologize if I spoiled. 

No worries, I saw episode two as well. :) But Tomas was having an emotional affair with a woman he met in college, the one who's married and has been sending him letters, which his sister asked him about in episode one.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

No worries, I saw episode two as well. :) But Tomas was having an emotional affair with a woman he met in college, the one who's married and has been sending him letters, which his sister asked him about in episode one.

Oh yeah, you're right!  But I think Angela has a thing for him.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, SimoneS said:

I watched out of curiosity. I have to confess that it scared the shit out of me. WTH is up with all the eyes? I wasn't sure who was possessed. I figured that it wasn't the daughter the mother was worried about. I thought it was the father after he mentioned Marcus. I was shocked as hell that it turned out to be the other daughter. I wonder if the father (Cameron from Ferris Bueller) in his condition can somehow help. He seems to be channeling the good side. After all he helped Tomas find Marcus.

Tomas is gorgeous. I will beat the shit out of that demon if it hurts him. I am glad that Marcus is coming to the rescue. 

I agree about Tomas.  Here's a little gift.  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=alfonso+herrera&view=detailv2&&id=35ED96537118BC627DCF17C55DF32F22ED1671B1&selectedIndex=2&ccid=J4PHEDFb&simid=608032800370591236&thid=OIP.M2783c710315b5f944489efb24acb82ceo2&ajaxhist=0

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:42 PM, primadonna said:

I thought it had a bit of an X-Files feel, with a lot of dark scenes, skepticism, and an excellent cast. I'm in the generation when the original Exorcist had an X rating and we practically had to sneak to the theater to see it.  I found this show less disturbing than many other shows on tv, and hope Fox gives it a chance to gather an audience.  

Didn't they edit the movie down to a rated R?  I saw the re-release and they added the original scenes (which were also in the book) of Regan crawling down the stair like a spider, and impaling herself with a crucifix.  I think the impaling would have been extremely offensive when it was first released.  It was still a little jarring when I heard about beforehand, and saw the re-release.

• Like 1
On 9/24/2016 at 7:38 AM, SimoneS said:

Luis was funny and sweet. I am worried about him since he is so close to his uncle.

Oh, I think we can guarantee there's a reason for us to worry about Luis - we know the demon will use whatever it can find out about Tomas, and he has that picture of Luis dangling on the locket attached to his rear view mirror.

Yup, I call Luis being possessed along the way in an effort to scare off Tomas.

49 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I agree about Tomas.  Here's a little gift

You can see a lot of Alfonso Herrera in clips from Sense8.  There are quite a few up on YT.

I re-watched the beginning of this for the location shots.  The church they used is clearly in a very different neighborhood from where the family lives. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Liked Ben Daniels a lot, so there's that.   He could carry this alone.   Tomas?  Meh.    Overall a weak program judging by the pilot.   Biggest quarrel is with the possessed teen, Kat.   No gravitas, no nothing.   Her mother's conclusion of possession was grossly premature (based on what we saw).   Geena Davis is Geena Davis.  Everybody gets old.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1