Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

This is Us scored a Golden Globe nomination for best tv drama. First time for NBC since Heroes. Mandy and Chrissy were nominated for Supporting TV Actress. Sterling was nominated for People VS OJ. 

Maybe this belongs in the UO thread, but I'm really only on board with Metz's nomination here.  I don't know, Moore just seems like a lightweight against the rest of the cast (and the rest of the field in that category).  And I've heard hat Sterling was fantastic in the OJ movie (I haven't seen it), but I was amazed he wasn't also nominated for this show.

Oh, and Metz's dress.  It wasn't something that I would pick out for myself.  However, based on what I've seen of her out of character, it seems to fit her personality--and that's probably the most important thing!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I want to know how the show gets a Drama nod, but the actors get what amounts to 'other TV show' category. If it isn't a drama, then what is it?

They only put the lead actors in a drama/comedy category.  Moore and Metz were both nominated for supporting roles (which I will admit I find a bit of a head scratcher for Metz--she could have gone either way.  However, it is the show that submits the names, so they made the decision), and that category is across all genres.  I believe it is the same in the movie categories.  I also have no idea why the GG does it this way....

45 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I love the poster for This Is Us in this picture, but poor William, walking away from everyone.

Ha, I didn't even realize that was supposed to be the cast in comic form until you mentioned.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:55 AM, Aloeonatable said:

This is Us scored a Golden Globe nomination for best tv drama. First time for NBC since Heroes. Mandy and Chrissy were nominated for Supporting TV Actress. Sterling was nominated for People VS OJ. 

I am very happy this show scored some Golden Globe nominations. This show is great and I am glad it is getting recognition. I think it will get some Emmy nods as well, including possibly some for the men on this show like Milo and Sterling. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
On December 12, 2016 at 9:35 AM, OtterMommy said:

Maybe this belongs in the UO thread, but I'm really only on board with Metz's nomination here.  I don't know, Moore just seems like a lightweight against the rest of the cast (and the rest of the field in that category).  And I've heard hat Sterling was fantastic in the OJ movie (I haven't seen it), but I was amazed he wasn't also nominated for this show.

Oh, and Metz's dress.  It wasn't something that I would pick out for myself.  However, based on what I've seen of her out of character, it seems to fit her personality--and that's probably the most important thing!

Can an actor be nominated twice in the same category?

12 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Can an actor be nominated twice in the same category?

I don't know--wait, wasn't Martin Freeman nominated twice in the same category, for Sherlock and Fargo, a couple of years ago?  I would think it would be possible...the actors should be judged on their merits for *that role,* not their acting ability in general.  But who knows--the GG have always kind of mystified me.

Oh, and UO here--I'm glad this show was nominated in the Best Drama category, but I'm not sure it actually deserved it .  This isn't a question of quality but rather the fact that a season of this show is based on 18(?) episodes, and only 10 had aired by the time the nominees were announced--and I'm pretty sure they haven't yet filmed all 18 episodes.  Yeah, Westworld was only 10 episodes (and I think the other shows were about that long as well), but they still had complete seasons, which This is Us has not.  

I think it might be a Golden Globe problem--from what I understand, it recognizes work released during the calendar year.  That works for movies, and even streaming/cable shows, but not Network Shows.  The Emmys, on the other hand, go by the TV season--which makes much more sense.

ETA: Scrap what I said about Martin Freeman.  That was in 2015 and he was only nominated for Fargo.  

Edited by OtterMommy
17 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Oh, and UO here--I'm glad this show was nominated in the Best Drama category, but I'm not sure it actually deserved it .  This isn't a question of quality but rather the fact that a season of this show is based on 18(?) episodes, and only 10 had aired by the time the nominees were announced--and I'm pretty sure they haven't yet filmed all 18 episodes.  Yeah, Westworld was only 10 episodes (and I think the other shows were about that long as well), but they still had complete seasons, which This is Us has not.  

Yes, the GG nominations are for a calendar year, so TIU is judged on only the first 10 episodes. This happened for Heroes too. It received a GG nomination it's first year after only airing a partial season. 

42 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

Yes, the GG nominations are for a calendar year, so TIU is judged on only the first 10 episodes. This happened for Heroes too. It received a GG nomination it's first year after only airing a partial season. 

I just think it is a little tricky.  I've seen shows that have a strong first half of a season, only to tank in epic proportions the second half.  I don't think that will be this show (I really hope it isn't), but it would be...ironic...for it to win a GG* only to drop turds for the rest of the year.

*I don't actually think it will win.  I'd put my money on either Stranger Things or Westworld.

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

SAG  nominations are out. The show got a cast nod, and Sterling was nominated in the Lead Actor, Drama category.

Not only that, but he was also nominated in the Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a TV Movie or Limited Series. I know he's not the first to get nominated twice overall, but is he one of the few to get nominated for two television categories for two different shows? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not only that, but he was also nominated in the Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a TV Movie or Limited Series. I know he's not the first to get nominated twice overall, but is he one of the few to get nominated for two television categories for two different shows? 

Hmm, I don't know.  On some award show (not the GG's, I noticed), Martin Freeman was nominated for both Sherlock and Fargo in the same year.  I'm not sure if it was he SAG Awards, though...

I have no clue why my mind is fixated on Martin Freeman.  I think I must be in Fargo withdrawals.

3 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Hmm, I don't know.  On some award show (not the GG's, I noticed), Martin Freeman was nominated for both Sherlock and Fargo in the same year.  I'm not sure if it was he SAG Awards, though...

I have no clue why my mind is fixated on Martin Freeman.  I think I must be in Fargo withdrawals.

I just looked it up, and it was the Primetime Emmy Awards 2014. He was nominated in a Lead Actor Role for Fargo, and Supporting Actor for Sherlock. He won for Supporting, but lost to Benedict for Lead. So technically, Sherlock did take home for both categories that year. 

Also, that same year, Jim Parsons was nominated for two different roles but only won one of them, so I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1

Sterling Brown was nominated for a SAG award for TIS, but the rest of the cast was omitted, as was the show for the ensemble nomination.  I'm really disappointed, because I think the actors on this show as a group as terrific, from the kids to the adults.

• Love 3

I'm really happy for Sterling...he's a wonderful actor that I think deserves the recognition he is getting. And unlike Justin Hartley, I haven't seen him act entitled to anything or whining about how it took too long for him to become more famous or to land a hit show. And is excited, but humble. He just acted. He was fabulous in The People Vs. OJ Simpson.

• Love 1

I'm super glad to see all the praise for this show. It's not a perfect show by any means, but it's still not bad. I enjoy it more than 90% of TV shows this year, so that's a plus.

Sterling definitely deserves the noms he's been getting. He's been getting a lot of heavy material to work with. Hopefully, though, we can see more work for Milo and even Justin and they can get their own noms for it. And, of course, I'd love to see Ron Cephas Jones get a nom this year, as I assume William won't make it to season 2. And I really want to see the younger kids earn their noms. I'm thrilled to see Lonnie Chavis (Young Randall) get to be nominated because he's spectacular. The other kids, Mackenzie and Parker, need their own separate noms as well, but particularly Parker Bates. His portrayal of Kevin is just spot on. 

Again, NBC, we all know that you're going to renew the show for a second season. What are you waiting for? 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm super glad to see all the praise for this show. It's not a perfect show by any means, but it's still not bad. I enjoy it more than 90% of TV shows this year, so that's a plus.

Sterling definitely deserves the noms he's been getting. He's been getting a lot of heavy material to work with. Hopefully, though, we can see more work for Milo and even Justin and they can get their own noms for it. And, of course, I'd love to see Ron Cephas Jones get a nom this year, as I assume William won't make it to season 2. And I really want to see the younger kids earn their noms. I'm thrilled to see Lonnie Chavis (Young Randall) get to be nominated because he's spectacular. The other kids, Mackenzie and Parker, need their own separate noms as well, but particularly Parker Bates. His portrayal of Kevin is just spot on. 

Again, NBC, we all know that you're going to renew the show for a second season. What are you waiting for? 

Before we get to renewals..I saw that ABC extended the current seasons of some of its shows.  Is that something NBC might do with this show?  Granted the ABC shows were all sit-coms, so it might be a different situation.

6 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Before we get to renewals..I saw that ABC extended the current seasons of some of its shows.  Is that something NBC might do with this show?  Granted the ABC shows were all sit-coms, so it might be a different situation.

They actually already did, back around the second episode. They extended it from 10 to 18 episodes, which is the episode number that the creators wanted. But I've seen a lot of freshman shows renewed for much less. I was surprised when they didn't renew it after the time slot move and their ratings rose instead of dipped. They're clearly waiting for something before they renew it. I'm just wondering what. 

I decided to look at the cancelled/renewal list for 2015-2016 to see when the typical renewal date is. For NBC specifically, they do tend to make their early decisions around now, usually November/December, but they haven't had a breakout hit quite like this show in a while. Blindspot was semi-successful last year and it was renewed in November before ratings dropped. NBC seems to know when to renew or cancel a show, so I'm just taken aback that they're waiting. 

• Love 1

I would definitely expect to see a renewal before the end of the current season, which should be the last week of February. It's their highest-rated show and is getting awards love? It's a no-brainer for them. They'll probably make the announcement in February to really push viewership during sweeps. 

• Love 1

I can't help to think back to Heroes, another NBC hit out of the box (also starring Milo) nominated for the globes, it was gonna  be a hit for years...only to basically flame out after season 1, although it hung on for years. I do feel like this show needs to start pacing it's HUGE MOMENTS a bit, lest it's flameout potential remains too high for too long.

Regardless, there is no doubt for renewal next season; why not save the announcement for a less crowded press window?

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 9:53 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I guess it could be seen as awful from the standpoint of 'you didn't even try to trick our eye into thinking you might be slightly smaller than you are' but I'm tired of that being the rule of fashion

I think the dress looks fine on her.  Let's face it, when one is her size, nothing is going to make her look "smaller" and there's only so much you can do to make clothes look flatteringly.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I am pretty sure that it has been said all over this forum in numerous threads, but I had no idea that Sterling K. Brown and Ryan Michelle Bathe are dating.

Um, they've been married since 2007 and have 2 kids.... 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Yep. I am absolutely clueless. No excuse.

No worries.  I only knew that they were married and had kids because he had mentioned it somewhere within the last few months (I honestly didn't know who he was before then...I also didn't know until about 5 minutes ago that his wife is in this show....)

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Question:  Has the show officially been picked up for another season? 

Not yet, but it doesn't look like NBC has announced any renewals yet.  I think this show is as safe a bet as you can get.

8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Interesting that the season 2 and 3 renewals are for 18 episodes each.  I would have thought that the subsequent seasons would have had the traditional 22 episodes.  Wonder if this is a trend, or specific to this show?

I believe the creator, Dan Fogleman, wanted shorter seasons. In fact, I believe he wanted a 16 episode season for the first but NBC compromised with 18 episodes per season.