Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

Mandy and Chrissy at the Critics' Choice Awards.

gettyimages-1082099602.jpg

shutterstock_editorial_10053879fo_huge.j

Mandy's white gown would be stunning if the upper cutouts were smaller. Underboob is never a good look. Love the sleek hair and long earrings though.

Chrissy looks like she's lost some weight. If so, I hope she's doing it the healthy way and not because of pressure from NBC. Love the color of her gown, but I think it would look more chic without the sequin flowers.

• Love 3

I was pleased to see that Justin was FINALLY nominated in an individual award for the Critics Choice Awards for Best Supporting Actor. He didn't win, but this is legit his first individual nomination for the show, which is great and long overdue.  

• Love 15
On 1/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, chocolatine said:

Chrissy looks like she's lost some weight. If so, I hope she's doing it the healthy way and not because of pressure from NBC. Love the color of her gown, but I think it would look more chic without the sequin flowers.

I think that's the best I have ever seen Chrissy look. I really like her dress, hair, and makeup. I know what you mean about the sequin flowers but I like how they draw your eye down.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

Congrats on the SAG award. I wasn’t expecting it.

Maybe the voters were voting based on just the first season!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Am I missing something, or in the clip did they show Randall and Beth as brand new parents?  Or has that already been shown as a dream?

Edited by Brookside
8 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

I wondered the same thing.

I don't think so.  Both my Tivo and TVLine list Ellen's Game of Games as airing from 8-11 tonight.  Looks like Part II is now pushed to 2/12,, unless the amount of SOTU coverage is reduced next week.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I don't think so.  Both my Tivo and TVLine list Ellen's Game of Games as airing from 8-11 tonight.  Looks like Part II is now pushed to 2/12,, unless the amount of SOTU coverage is reduced next week.

Just saw a tweet from Dan Fogelman. No show for two weeks.

• Love 3

Those three kids are my favorite things about the show.  A few weeks ago we back flashed from Present Kevin to  Past Kevin and for a few seconds I didn't even realize we had changed.  The casting director for TIU should have all the awards.

• Love 14

He, whose name we dare not speak, gets the blame for next Tuesday, but what about last night and all those weeks while they took the world's longest Christmas break?  I'm about ready to quit the show over all this. I see it as a smug belief that their fans will put up with anything and still stay loyal.  I feel like a date that's been stood up or expected to wait one too many times.  My Tuesday nights are now open for contenders.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It sucks that we have to wait, but this picture of Lady Gaga high-fiving Lonnie Chavis kind of makes up for it. Lonnie is the cutest!

DyGUvwAUUAAo8vB.jpg:large

That is the best picture EVER! I've said this before, but Lonnie Chavis is the best child actor I've ever seen, & I watch a LOT of TV. No shame. It is adorable seeing him so excited to be in the moment he's so fortunate to be in. He really is so good. I agree with @JudyObscure, the casting director for This Is Us should win all of the awards. 

• Love 7

Last night was the original date for the SOTU address, so TIU was scheduled for a pre-emption. Same thing happened last year ahead of the Super Bowl episode. With the uncertainty of when/if the government would reopen on time, I wonder if advertising commitments meant NBC couldn't move TIU into last night's usual time slot.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

He, whose name we dare not speak, gets the blame for next Tuesday, but what about last night and all those weeks while they took the world's longest Christmas break?  I'm about ready to quit the show over all this. I see it as a smug belief that their fans will put up with anything and still stay loyal.  I feel like a date that's been stood up or expected to wait one too many times.  My Tuesday nights are now open for contenders.

I think NBC is responsible for the long breaks, not the show runners. The show runners did make the choice to limit each season to 18 episodes instead of the usual 23 or 24, but NBC could still air them without a break if they so chose. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think NBC is responsible for the long breaks, not the show runners. The show runners did make the choice to limit each season to 18 episodes instead of the usual 23 or 24, but NBC could still air them without a break if they so chose. 

I don't know what network strategies are, are they trying to introduce new shows by bogarding a popular show's time slot?  I think it would be risky to interrupt the flow of a known ratings winner that way.  It makes me forget sometimes that a show has/will be returning.  And I do not watch whatever is substituted.

• Love 2

I checked, and for the first 2 seasons the finale was mid March (13-14). This year if they continue without interruption the finale will be on March 26. 

However, that coincides with March Madness, and if I recall correctly, competing networks typically do not schedule new episodes to go head to head with the tournament.  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

March Madness is only Thursday-Sunday, so This is Us should be fine.

56 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I checked, and for the first 2 seasons the finale was mid March (13-14). This year if they continue without interruption the finale will be on March 26. 

However, that coincides with March Madness, and if I recall correctly, competing networks typically do not schedule new episodes to go head to head with the tournament.  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 3:07 AM, Kirkydee said:

But the 1st week of March madness has games Tuesday and Wednesday.  Used to be called the play in games- now its first round games.  Usually not the contrenders in those games, but still....

The networks for NCAA basketball are ESPN and CBS.  For the tournament, that expands to include TBS, TNT, and truTV.  None of those networks have ties to NBC.  The only way that I can see This is Us being affected by basketball is by a local pre-emption.  Even that would surprise me, though, because the local CBS affiliate would be the one to do it.  Those contracts are big business.  Some NBC affiliate isn't just going to be able to get in on the tournament and randomly broadcast a game.

ETA: True that competing networks don't usually schedule much, but that's often for the Thursday-Friday games.  The play-in game is usually not that big of a draw unless your particular team is in it.  The winning team is essentially a sacrificial lamb for a higher-seeded opponent in the next round of the tournament.

Edited by Ohmo
On 1/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, 3 is enough said:

You might be right -- ep.guides.com (I have no idea how reliable/where they get their info) lists episodes for every Tuesday from Feb. 12 on through March, except the 26th.  Final air date is April 2 according to this:  http://epguides.com/ThisIsUs/

I’m really bummed that for another week we won’t get our TIU fix. I mean I understand last week was the original airdate for the SOTU but

also After reading here, apparently the times are all off kilter for the show with the big March basketball  games coming up(i know nothing about basketball, so if theyre called something’s else forgive me I know football). 

There are 7 episodes left in the season; Songbird Pt. 2 is episode 12 of 18. The ep-guide listing above sounds right: Feb 12 - April 2, with a two-week gap between the penultimate episode and the climax.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pallas said:

There are 7 episodes left in the season; Songbird Pt. 2 is episode 12 of 18. The ep-guide listing above sounds right: Feb 12 - April 2, with a two-week gap between the penultimate episode and the climax.

Is there any word on renewal, since it's already 2/3 of the way through the third season? I remember Dan Fogelman saying he'd mapped out the story for the first three seasons when he first pitched the show, so if they get renewed for a fourth he'd have to come up with new material.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

This Is Us to (likely) end after season 6.

I think this is smart assuming they actually do it.  More TV shows are setting end dates, so it gives them time to wrap up everything. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. I would be happy with six seasons.

As I’m getting older I like when shows have end points, and I know more than likely some shows don’t get what they want and get cancelled before they want, but when a show has a plan of how many seasons they would like to go, I think it works better. So if they have an end season and and an end point it works better for me. Otherwise I think shows get to a point where we really have way too much middle and the stories get muddled. So if they plan to end it with six seasons, I think it’ll make sense for them to do that. 

• Love 4

The Loop: We Need to Talk About Kevin

Some people on social media were calling out This Is Us for having Kevin go down the relapse road, but addiction doesn’t just cure itself. Having the character magically heal and never go back just wouldn’t be realistic. And isn’t it also kind of telling that Jack relapsed a few times in his life too? Who’s to say that he wouldn’t have done so again had he not died so tragically? Rebuilding your life after a huge fire and watching your kids go off to college would have been definite stressors for the guy.

And had it been Jack, the family probably would have focused all of their efforts on making him better. Is Kevin different because he’s a movie star? Does that mean he’s supposed to just shove aside his very real feelings and suck them up in order to be there for everyone else? Because his life is oh-so-enviable?

That’s the brilliance, but also the tragedy in writing a character like Kevin. He always seems to spiral at the worst possible times, and none of his family members can ever actually be there for him when he needs help. Did no one seriously think to question Kevin when he came back into that waiting room with a water bottle, noticeably calmer than before? Obviously there was vodka in there, but no one (save Zoe, who took a quiet swig) even bothered to think of it. If that isn’t a sign of just how alone Kevin actually is… well we don’t know what is.

People who face addiction aren’t addicted by choice. It’s more complicated than just saying no, and Kevin has the added guilt of knowing Toby is mad at him and he wasn’t sober enough to drive Kate to the hospital when her water broke. Heck, he may even be blaming himself for her water breaking at this point. Those thoughts aren’t going to help him overcome his demons anytime soon. People who are addicted know they hurt the ones closest to them—it’s why they pull away. They often can’t help themselves.

• Love 5

Breaking Down the R&B Fight

Randall confronted her about the fact she was projecting all of her frustration on him for the fact it took her two decades to finally figure out what she wanted, but it's not entirely his fault. The problem is that she's taking no ownership of it, finding it easier to blame his domineering personality, and he's taking no ownership of his roll in being so dominant she didn't have room to breathe, much less find herself.

And then she hit him where it hurts, asking him, "When would I have done that, huh? Between which of your anxiety attacks?"

Attacking someone's mental illness is a low blow by any standard, but at least Beth should now fully understand and believe that when Randall told her to "grow up" in that message, he was just trying to hurt her out of anger. Because that's what she just did to him.

And she did it because he'd backed her against the wall with a truth that made her uncomfortable; that she does have some culpability in how long it's taken her to find a direction and it's totally unfair to lay it all at his feet. He could have given her the space to grow, sure, but she could have demanded it.

It just seems for a long time she didn't even necessarily know she needed it. Dance was out of Beth's life before Randall even met her, and she held resentment and bitterness toward her mother for years over it. And she held bitterness and resentment toward Randall, in a way, as well.

In her defense, Randall has been shitty and dismissive of her dream, not taking it as seriously as his own. She's right about that. He's never had competition on the dream front in any real way, so in order to mend this he needs to value her dreams and realize her ambitions and happiness matter as much as his.

They both have to work through this, but can quickly realize this is a change in their existing dynamic and not the destruction of everything. If anything, it can offer clarity all the way back to the beginning of their relationship. It's never too late to pursue your dreams and find your happiness. Beth deserves that chance, and we absolutely believe Randall will be there for her.

She's going to learn when to stand up and fight for what she wants out of life and he's going to learn when to sit down and have her back, just as she's always had his.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Justin Hartley discusses This Is Us and Little:

I enjoyed this, thanks!  I wonder what Kevin meant by "there is a reason you don't see him". Hmmmm

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1