Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E03: Just Fabulous!

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, WicketyWack said:

Neoprene is stiff and can be easily molded to create garments that hold their structure. Most of the neoprene garments I've ever seen are on the racks at Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call or Nordstrom Rack. They started out as super high-end designer garments that ended up in the outlet store, mostly because they tend to develop annoying vertical snags and pulls in the material. I tried on a neoprene dress once and dare I say I liked it on me -- and I am very much an "everyday woman" size 12 and very picky about what I wear. But I didn't buy it because of neoprene's snag-run issues. 

I haaaaate, hate hate hate drop crotches and surprisingly I liked Jenni's look -- because the crotch was so dropped that it was practically a skirt. I have only ever liked one other drop-crotch outfit in my life, also on Project Runway, by designer Alexandria in Season 12 -- and also because it looked more like a skirt.

So I guess I just like skirts.

AlexandriaDesign.jpg

Thanks for the info on neoprene. Sounds like it's only practical for runway, like much of the stuff we see in the fashion shows.

I felt the same way about Jenni's pants. I loathe drop crotch, but her's was SO dropped that it looked much different than the usual loaded diaper version. I thought it was a cool and unique look. I wouldn't wear it, and I don't know anyone who would, but I thought it made an interesting runway showing. At least it wasn't boring!

• Love 7
On 9/23/2016 at 3:22 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

I would have put Mah-Jing's denim dress in the top 3, possibly instead of Erin, though I do understand how she made it there. Her outfit feels kind of Prada-ish to me. So, it would appeal to the editorial side of the judging.

As for the bottom group, I would have sent Brik home instead of Linda. Linda's outfit looked droopy and sad, but in the hands of a skilled craftsperson, it could have looked like something you'd find at Ann Taylor Loft - not great, but basic and commercial.  Brik's outfit was done with technical skill and still looked lousy, which means his ideas are bad and no one can help him with that.

Yep. And from more than just a few feet away the colors of his top and bottom (in addition to the style of the two pieces) didn't go together. He does not have a good eye. At all.

The fabric's different and it doesn't fit the model very well. Plus the crotch isn't dropped like the original and doesn't have that strip going across the top of the bum. Actually it looks like it's giving her a wedgie.

10 minutes ago, auntlada said:

It looks too tight and binding, not loose enough. Oddly, I think I'd like it better with a little more fabric in the middle. It looks uncomfortable.

I think that might be a result of putting it on a size 6 instead of a size 2 :)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think that might be a result of putting it on a size 6 instead of a size 2 :)

Probably. They should add more material for larger sizes, but maybe they aren't used to making clothes for those women.

• Love 1
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 3:12 PM, NYGirl said:

Nobody likes Brik.  I wonder why.  

I wonder if they are terrified of how it will look if they (like Linda and Ian) go home before Brik does.  That said, he is a lot more palatable to me than Cornelius, no matter how much less talented he is.

1 hour ago, Callasin said:

Just Fab page with the winning look. 

As much as I didn't like Laurence's drop crotch, drop pockets, overly long zipper,  this version is so much worse... and very cheap looking.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, dleighg said:

The blue one looks better. I think that's because it's on a thinner model. Go figure.

It does look better, but I'd still want it to be a little looser. It looks like you would not be able to sit down in it, like when you tried, the neckline would come up and choke you.

• Love 1
  On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:55 PM, Knuckles said:

Jenni reminds me of someone too, not the laugh, just her look, haven't put my finger on it yet.  

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, sourpickles said:

Rumer Willis? 

I can see that, but no, not totally. Maybe Camryn Grimes, who is an actress on the soap opera The Young And The Restless. Even that is not my final go. I'm thinking someone I saw on ANTM or something. It'll hit me, but thanks for the RW suggestion!

3 hours ago, auntlada said:

It does look better, but I'd still want it to be a little looser. It looks like you would not be able to sit down in it, like when you tried, the neckline would come up and choke you.

Why would you try to sit? You're supposed to stand around looking fabulous, not - God forbid - working.....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

It looks like JustFab raised the hip pockets, too.  They were back-of-thigh pockets on Laurence's version.

And fixed the length of the zipper, put the zipper pull on the top, and removed the strip of suede from the back.

3 hours ago, asemumma said:

I can't be the only one who immediately thought "Who 'ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!" at an olive-green utility jumpsuit?!? ghostbusters.jpg  

I actually came here to suggest this; I was looking at photos from a local comic-con, and there were some girls dressed as Ghost Busters in jumpsuits almost identical in color and style to Laurence's. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, asemumma said:

I can't be the only one who immediately thought "Who 'ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!" at an olive-green utility jumpsuit?!? ghostbusters.jpg  

Well, I guess this proves the winning design works for a variety of everyday womens' sizes. ?

But I'd never wear it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sassykattt said:

To the poster who asked why pockets on women's breasts, where to put them.  Not on the hips? not on the ass? Not on the back of the thigh?  No pockets for the ladies.  I've never heard a woman say she didn't have enough pockets.

With respect, I have. I'm one of those ladies who prefer to not carry a purse (I feel encumbered, though I own a butt load of them which never see daylight...I like the idea of purses, just hate carrying them). I prefer to use a simple wallet with my car key attached and carry my phone in another pocket. I not only want pockets but ones large enough to suit my needs.

Different folks, different strokes.

• Love 9

In addition to the drop crotch, the exposed midriff and the jumpsuit showing up every. damn. season (and often multiple times within a season), I guess we will be forced to see the other Most Ridiculous Fashion Item Forced Down Consumers' Throats"...the open-toed bootie.  These have been around for a few years, but I don't know why.  Now UGG has gotten into the act with their interpretation of this monstrosity.  I have seen boots move into year round wear vs. cold weather only, and sometimes it works.  But I have also seen boots that definitely say "winter" via materials used for the upper portion (i.e.- faux fur, fuzzy pom-poms, suede,or patent leather/pleather) and then there's the stupid "peep hole" at the toe. I even saw a pair of Wellies with the toe cut out for crissake.  What's the effin' point of that??? If I am pulling on a pair of Wellies I assume it's raining, muddy or slushy outside.  Why would I want exposed toes and a hole for water to seep in to get the rest of my foot wet?  Maybe the designers of this footwear trend are only producing them because it hadn't been done before, so it's a "new" or "innovative" twist? So with that logic, I guess we'll be seeing pants as hats and bras with pockets in future runway shows.

• Love 14

I wasn't swept away by any of the looks in this episode. Drop crotches and exposed midriffs?

Erin is interesting to me, but I don't really like anything she does. She's a bit too cartoonish for my taste. 

I like Laurence, but really? A jumpsuit? I might be alone in this opinion, but I don't think jumpsuits are appropriate for anyone over the age of 14. Or unless you work in a field that requires you to wear one. I also feel similarly about exposed midriffs in that anyone over 18+ looks kind of tacky wearing them.

I don't mind Brik, but I'm confused about his aesthetic. I think he should have been sent packing. 

Right now, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. I liked Dexter on Styled to Rock, but didn't care much for his Yeti outfit from last week and what he did this week.

I'm still getting used to the names, but the woman with the horrible laugh can be sent home at any time.

Edited by Surrealist
On 9/23/2016 at 10:52 AM, bobbyjoe said:

This "we have to have a villain" nonsense is what I'm begging PR's producers not to do yet again this year, but I can't really immediately blame Cornelius himself, because the PR producers have made it loud and clear that since they plan to hand us the same old "storylines" year after year, playing the catty, backbiting villain is one of the best ways to stay in the game.

The thing I really appreciated was Natalia shutting Cornelius down! He came slithering over to her with his catty "no shade, but....", and she was non committal. Then she was shown saying to him privately (I paraphrase) "if you're going to throw shade, don't involve me, I want no part of it". That made me love her. Cornelius thought he had an ally and an acolyte. Boom. Not so much. He'll be weeping and crying about how no one likes him within three episodes.

On 9/23/2016 at 6:14 PM, bobbyjoe said:

Not all PR seasons are the same, and longtime viewers since season 1 know the "formula" is far more variable than just throwing up our hands and saying "oh, that's the way it is and always has been."*  Some PR seasons the showrunners have played up the villains much more than others (or, more specifically, given the bitchy characters so much of the talking head time) to a ridiculous point where it damaged the watchability of the show.  Other seasons have concentrated more on the talent of the designers, and whoever the chosen villain of the season happened to be didn't get nearly the amount of screen time (the Lifetime years have been particularly bad about often over-playing the catty backbiting versus the creativity).  This is why I was happy with episode 1 of the show this season, but not so happy when episode 2 started to fall back on immediately emphasizing someone bitchy.  I don't think there's anything wrong or disloyal to ask the producers to try and keep that under control this year.

I too am cautiously optimistic about this season. I like everyone pretty much. Even catty, bitchy little Cornelius is more of an annoying gnat than anything. And that is fine with me. I still break out in hives when I remember Orange Josh. He never should have gone as far as he did, and his nastiness actually detracted from my enjoyment of the show to an alarming extent. He was just hateful and that is not entertaining.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Honey said:

I must be the only one here who doesn't mind the bitchiness alongside the fashion. That's the real world, and it entertains me. Yes, I am a bitch as well.

Me too! I was sad to see the antagonistic guy be the first one eliminated. I'm sure he would have provided the drama I crave.

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Me too! I was sad to see the antagonistic guy be the first one eliminated. I'm sure he would have provided the drama I crave.

I'll third this, but with the caveat that sometimes it goes way too far and speeds right past "entertaining" into uncomfortable. Seasons 8 and 12 immediately come to mind with the Michael C pile-on in 8 and Ken, Timothy/Miranda, Helen and Sandro in 12. 

And TBH, "boring" seasons don't bother me either. I liked Season 14, and I get the feeling Season 15 will be a similarly congenial season. 

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 3
On September 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Beden said:

With respect, I have. I'm one of those ladies who prefer to not carry a purse (I feel encumbered, though I own a butt load of them which never see daylight...I like the idea of purses, just hate carrying them). I prefer to use a simple wallet with my car key attached and carry my phone in another pocket. I not only want pockets but ones large enough to suit my needs.

Different folks, different strokes.

When I was in the classroom,  the main feature I required in a garment was pockets.  

I haven't scrolled through all the comments, but I though Erin's design was ridiculous looking.  It didn't even look good on the model.  So stiff looking and even with the adjustment with the tacky belt it looked awful.  I can't imagine how big an average sized woman would look in it.  

• Love 4

My take on the episode:

1. You could tell by the editing that Laurance was going to win and Linda was going to lose. I truly wish the editing monkeys would stop being so predictable.

2. Erin's outfit was hideous. The color combination clashed, and not in a good way. Neoprene??? Let's make the "average woman" look even bigger, shall we? That powder blue tent even made the model look fat and she's a size 00.

3. I thought the denim dress was the only ready-to-wear that would fit a range of sizes other than pixie sticks.

4. I am sick and tired of Cornelius and it's only the beginning of the season, which means we'll be stuck with him the entire season because we all know they keep the drama queen/trouble maker around.

5. That laugh still sounds like it's coming from a different person. That would annoy me to no end in the workroom.

6. I feel awful about Laurence's relationship with her father. You can tell how much it hurts her. I'm glad to see she isn't letting it affect her relationship with her own daughter. Is it just me or is she the French Grace Jones?

7. Brik needs to step it up this week or get auf'd.

8. Hoping we see more from the other designers who seem to be relegated to the background right now.

9. Mah-jing seems like a riot to hang aroung. I love his talking heads.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

My take on the episode:

1. You could tell by the editing that Laurance was going to win and Linda was going to lose. I truly wish the editing monkeys would stop being so predictable.

2. Erin's outfit was hideous. The color combination clashed, and not in a good way. Neoprene??? Let's make the "average woman" look even bigger, shall we? That powder blue tent even made the model look fat and she's a size 00.

3. I thought the denim dress was the only ready-to-wear that would fit a range of sizes other than pixie sticks.

4. I am sick and tired of Cornelius and it's only the beginning of the season, which means we'll be stuck with him the entire season because we all know they keep the drama queen/trouble maker around.

5. That laugh still sounds like it's coming from a different person. That would annoy me to no end in the workroom.

6. I feel awful about Laurence's relationship with her father. You can tell how much it hurts her. I'm glad to see she isn't letting it affect her relationship with her own daughter. Is it just me or is she the French Grace Jones?

7. Brik needs to step it up this week or get auf'd.

8. Hoping we see more from the other designers who seem to be relegated to the background right now.

9. Mah-jing seems like a riot to hang aroung. I love his talking heads.

Amen, especially Erin!  I thought that outfit looked so much like one of those craft projects they hate with the big stitching and the belt that looked like confetti glued on.  I liked Mah-jing's the best as it looked like something that could be worn well by almost anyone.

• Love 2

Erin's dress looked like an enormous clown dress. I was half expecting a clown car to follow the model onto the runway. Who would wear that?

Or jumpsuits? Or crop tops? Maybe  a 12 year old. 

When they announced it was an "everyday woman" challenge, I literally said out loud how many of them will make a mini skirt, crop top, or jumpsuit? PR never fails to disappoint. At least they know enough to not design something with a plunging neckline or backless so that a bra could not be worn. I actually loved Alex's look, except for the damn crop top. 

Is it going to be the season of dueling drop crotches? I can't take it. 

I wanted to throw something at the screen, that jumpsuit was so ugly! And there Nina goes again, talking about taste... Kimber's outfit something women would buy. The crop top works with the high waist, as the guest judge tried to point out. Sometimes I think it is personal with these judges.