Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E03: Just Fabulous!

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I don't notice--did they use the term "real woman" last night? I hate it (unless, of course, it's being used to distinguish us from, say, robot women. And by "us" I mean all of us, not just starting at size 10 or 12 or whichever it is).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

All I have been thinking this season is that it's a wonderful, positive group of people with 1 guy who's a little bitchy I guess.  So what?  It's practically Kumbaya compared to most seasons.  I think the designers' personalities are collectively very likeable.

I should listen to my own advice.  I love PR so much and then I come here and it's just a lot of shit throwing at the show.

Last Sunday, I'd been enjoying the Emmys for a couple of hours before I remembered there was a Livechat.  Yay!  Love the livechat!  Maybe I can catch up!  Unnh . . . ??   Neg outweighed pos about 10-1.  My buzz was so harshed.

So, I agree with you that the participants are unusually cooperative.  The designs bespeak an uptick in the talent.  The hair/makeup/accessory wall have reversed their slide into Dollar Tree territory and someone has even jerked a knot in Tim Gunn's grouchy tail.

I'm a major snark offender, just because I think it's fun, but I see your point.  I'll try to loosen the screws.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Heidi's dress was not appropriate.  I wonder if she needed a Brazilian to wear that thing.  It was cut way to high up, and looked like a nightgown.  Certainly not a just fab look. 

That's Heidi. She dresses to show off her bare skin, not to show off the clothes. 

Do these designers live in this world and have eyeballs?! I do not understand how they thought their designs were for every woman.

Why did they pull all those women over, just to have regular models for this challenge? Why not have two outfits and dress two different body types (or something of that nature)? 

A note on Alex's pants - no one that actually has hips and thighs want weird ass pleats that will spread and look terrible. this only looks good on very slender people. 

Erin's dress was was all sort of ridiculous to me. Oh, a big voluminous dress that may or may not weirdly cinch at the waist (with random snaps, I might add) is for all women? Haha lol, okay right.  

Laurence made a onesie, but she sure is beautiful, I have to say. What a stunning woman.

Edited by lightbeam
Just wanted to add...
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

That's Heidi. She dresses to show off her bare skin, not to show off the clothes. 

Heidi seems desperate to be perceived as sexy but it never clicks for me.   There is something too predictable, too obvious, too blah about her.   Very one-dimensional.   Very yesteryear.   There's no personality, no hint of depth, no mystique.   I always cringe at the start of each episode when Heidi steps onto the runway and the designers have to ooh and ahh over whatever ridiculous thing she's wearing (although in this regard Alyssa Milano is the Queen of Cringeworthy).

She may have been a supermodel, but really, she's just not all that.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I should listen to my own advice.  I love PR so much and then I come here and it's just a lot of shit throwing at the show.

I think we're reflecting what the show gives us.

Go have a look at the threads for Project Runway Jr.    Same formula as the mother ship but with important differences.   And those differences are amply acknowledged in the forum comments.   The positive, friendly and optimistic vibe of PR Jr. is clearly reflected in the remarks we made here.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Beden, according to link below, Swatch was a puppy in 2007, so he's about 9, same age as my Chocolate Lab who has been getting grizzled around the muzzle for a couple of years now.  

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/tim-gunn-swatch-boston-terrier-project-runway-photos-mood-designer-fabrics

Thanks for posting this - I adore Swatch!

My dog goes to work with me every day and she's become our "office dog" and while we don't have a lot of clients coming in, the ones who do just love to see her. I feel like she needs an accounting-related name - lol.

• Love 3

Ms Blue Jay, I hope you continue to come here. One thing I'll say about this group of "snarkers" is that no one ever makes fun of someone else for what they say or feel.

I, too, think this season is far and away superior as regards designer bitchiness than some of the other seasons we've been forced to endure (I'm looking at you season of Helen and season 14).

Qualifying all of that by saying, however, that I will continue to fling poo because, like the monkeys at the zoo, I only fling poo at the things I love: other monkeys, my husband, my sister, Project Runway, et. al.

• Love 9

I posted upthread that I liked Erin's design, and would wear something similar, but I would like to know if anyone here has ever worn a neoprene garment that wasn't a wetsuit. I don't think I've ever even SEEN a neoprene garment that wasn't a wetsuit. How come that's such a popular fabric on PR?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, candall said:

So, I agree with you that the participants are unusually cooperative.  The designs bespeak an uptick in the talent.  The hair/makeup/accessory wall have reversed their slide into Dollar Tree territory

I've noticed this, too. Instead of sitting back and trash talking, most of the designers just want to put their effort into producing good work. And they're a pretty talented group, better than I've seen for some seasons. And that Laurence may be be the coolest thing to grace the show... ever.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, bitchin camaro said:

I posted upthread that I liked Erin's design, and would wear something similar, but I would like to know if anyone here has ever worn a neoprene garment that wasn't a wetsuit. I don't think I've ever even SEEN a neoprene garment that wasn't a wetsuit. How come that's such a popular fabric on PR?

Neoprene has become very trendy in the last few years - that's why Mood has an entire section devoted to it.  Mostly I have seen it as bright colored outerwear.  It's a good choice to use on PR because the judges respond well to trendy and because you don't have to really hem it or anything.

Also it does come in bright colors - which also plays well with the judges since so many designers are nervous about color.  I felt like most of the designs that did poorly would have done better if they'd been in actual colors - if Brik's jacket and pants had been, say, bright red at least that would have been something. That's why Erin's got in the top - I don't know how wearable it would be on any body type frankly but it had a nice retro-futuristic 1960's look to it and would catch your eye on an online catalog, as Nina pointed out.  Which is what JustFab is (about which more below).  I was kind of surprised it didn't win because I thought it would be easier and cheaper to mass produce than Laurence's jumpsuit.  I wonder what the final JustFab version of the jumpsuit will look like.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's the 15th season and it's always been like this.  I don't even know why some people watch the show when they hate the formula.  All I have been thinking this season is that it's a wonderful, positive group of people with 1 guy who's a little bitchy I guess.  So what?  It's practically Kumbaya compared to most seasons.  I think the designers' personalities are collectively very likeable.

I agree, although I love reading this board.  Many here seem to judge the designs in exactly the way the average guest starlet does (would I wear that? or would I not wear that?) and that is part of the culture of the board. (Of course that's perfectly appropriate for discussing this challenge since it's the Real Woman challenge, but many do it for every challenge.)  It was the same at TWOP and I accept it as part of the nature of the board.  You gotta appreciate snark for what it is! 

I also agree that so far this season is looking to be far more enjoyable than last season - even the judges seem kind of rested and ready, instead of exhausted and kind of "WTF? who cares who wins this fucking show anyway? let's just PICK somebody" the way they have the past three seasons at least.  I'm enjoying what I've seen so far anyway.

Oh, and I don't remember who got the advice from Tim to go in the SHIRTWAIST direction - but DAMN he was lucky to end  up just safe.  DUDE!  don't you know that the ONLY person on Project Runway who likes shirtwaists is Tim? and he's not a judge!  I remember at least three different designers who've been burned by not realizing that the SHIRTWAIST is always the advice from Tim that you ignore.

About JustFab, to quote myself from last season:

I've heard of it because it was one of the banner ads for a while on some sites I visit.  It's a kind of a Shoe of the Month type deal - and IMO while it isn't a scam exactly, it walks a thin line, as all those Blank of the Month clubs do.  I'm sure a lot of people fail to realize(because the design of the  site makes this hard to see) that when they buy their first item  they have now joined a club which will automatically deduct 39.95 from their account every month:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-biggest-scam-in-online-fashion-1410935207

http://www.literallydarling.com/blog/2014/01/10/justfab-not-so-fab/

About the JustFab website use of dark pattern design:

https://techcrunch.com/2013/09/27/not-so-vip/

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, millennium said:

I always cringe at the start of each episode when Heidi steps onto the runway and the designers have to ooh and ahh over whatever ridiculous thing she's wearing (although in this regard Alyssa Milano is the Queen of Cringeworthy).

exactly-- she stands there like she's saying "aren't I *amazing*?"  And oh, Milano ..... somehow she managed to always look short, dumpy, and trashy.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, millennium said:

I think we're reflecting what the show gives us.

Go have a look at the threads for Project Runway Jr.    Same formula as the mother ship but with important differences.   And those differences are amply acknowledged in the forum comments.   The positive, friendly and optimistic vibe of PR Jr. is clearly reflected in the remarks we made here.

Yep. Which is why I may - may - eventually forgive Tim Gunn. But I'll never *forget* "Under." 

One thing remains true for the mother ship (and was debunked in Jr.): these designers may be more civil and potentially likeable. So far. But they still have no grasp of how to balance the artistic side vs. the realities of a woman's body. Or the path to a "real woman's" wallet. The kids balanced that far better, too.

The fact that a drop-crotch, army green onesie won this week's crapfest pretty much affirms that.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, RealityCowgirl said:

But they still have no grasp of how to balance the artistic side vs. the realities of a woman's body.

Perhaps because the kids were designing for themselves or their peers, and the adults are trying to be the next NY Fashion Week star.  it is sad that most things shown require not only a very tall, thin, woman, but also one who has essentially no breasts.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, izabella said:

Those dumbass saggy pockets would be a pain in the ass to sit on, or pain in the thighs.  Especially if you used them as actual pockets and put something in them.  It looked like the pockets would hit the back of her thighs if she sat down. 

Just last evening I was talking with a friend who  insists that she almost always chooses to buy mens pants/jeans for herself for the simple reason that they're generally better made and that the pockets are actually large enough to be useful. She complained that her smart phone and car keys fall out of her 'women's/ladies' slacks, but don't when she wears her mens jeans.

Fashion forward? Hell no (we tease her about shopping at the local men's shop) but practical. She--like me--is a woman who doesn't spend her time in an office or lunching. We both work and have physical lives--she's an artist, paints professionally, I sew. We both mow the lawn and clean our homes, cook dinner; y'know, live normal lives. God knows I love fashion with a passion but have always believed that if a beautiful design--be it clothing, a house, flower vase or a car--isn't workable, the design is a fail.

Sure, we all like to dress up on occasion but a real woman challenge should fulfill the needs or real women. I know it's early days in the season but I saw a lot of fails this week. Drop crotches? All I can think when I see one is my now grown sons diapers with a  full load. Not a good look and, just as important, not comfortable.

Beden, according to link below, Swatch was a puppy in 2007, so he's about 9, same age as my Chocolate Lab who has been getting grizzled around the muzzle for a couple of years now.  

Thank you. My own Roger is around 10 now ( a rescue, I'm not sure of his actual age), was born with a white muzzle and so I've no idea if he's gray or not. Knock wood, he still chases his beloved tennis balls, loves to run and is in great shape. As the sad but true saying goes 'the only thing wrong with dogs is that they don't live long enough'.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Neoprene has become very trendy in the last few years - that's why Mood has an entire section devoted to it.  Mostly I have seen it as bright colored outerwear.  It's a good choice to use on PR because the judges respond well to trendy and because you don't have to really hem it or anything.

Also it does come in bright colors - which also plays well with the judges since so many designers are nervous about color.  I felt like most of the designs that did poorly would have done better if they'd been in actual colors - if Brik's jacket and pants had been, say, bright red at least that would have been something. That's why Erin's got in the top - I don't know how wearable it would be on any body type frankly but it had a nice retro-futuristic 1960's look to it and would catch your eye on an online catalog, as Nina pointed out.  Which is what JustFab is (about which more below).  I was kind of surprised it didn't win because I thought it would be easier and cheaper to mass produce than Laurence's jumpsuit.  I wonder what the final JustFab version of the jumpsuit will look like.

I agree, although I love reading this board.  Many here seem to judge the designs in exactly the way the average guest starlet does (would I wear that? or would I not wear that?) and that is part of the culture of the board. (Of course that's perfectly appropriate for discussing this challenge since it's the Real Woman challenge, but many do it for every challenge.)  It was the same at TWOP and I accept it as part of the nature of the board.  You gotta appreciate snark for what it is! 

I also agree that so far this season is looking to be far more enjoyable than last season - even the judges seem kind of rested and ready, instead of exhausted and kind of "WTF? who cares who wins this fucking show anyway? let's just PICK somebody" the way they have the past three seasons at least.  I'm enjoying what I've seen so far anyway.

Oh, and I don't remember who got the advice from Tim to go in the SHIRTWAIST direction - but DAMN he was lucky to end  up just safe.  DUDE!  don't you know that the ONLY person on Project Runway who likes shirtwaists is Tim? and he's not a judge!  I remember at least three different designers who've been burned by not realizing that the SHIRTWAIST is always the advice from Tim that you ignore.

About JustFab, to quote myself from last season:

I've heard of it because it was one of the banner ads for a while on some sites I visit.  It's a kind of a Shoe of the Month type deal - and IMO while it isn't a scam exactly, it walks a thin line, as all those Blank of the Month clubs do.  I'm sure a lot of people fail to realize(because the design of the  site makes this hard to see) that when they buy their first item  they have now joined a club which will automatically deduct 39.95 from their account every month:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-biggest-scam-in-online-fashion-1410935207

http://www.literallydarling.com/blog/2014/01/10/justfab-not-so-fab/

About the JustFab website use of dark pattern design:

https://techcrunch.com/2013/09/27/not-so-vip/

Ugh...Just Fab sounds like complete garbage. I hate companies who purposefully try to deceive people in spending more. Furthermore, who ever heard of a shoe company where sales are final? That's ridiculous! Thanks for posting. 

• Love 4

I agree that the designers seem very talented this season.  Obviously Brik has some issues but everyone has noticed.

And I don't understand Laurence's back pockets - AT ALL - But I guess that's part of the 'cool design' aesthetic.  Nobody would EVER be able to reach back there?!?!

Typical PR challenge where the challenge pretends to be about "all women of all body types" but is really more, "show me how cool and edgy of a designer you are, bonus points if Nina pretends she would wear any of it"

I couldn't and wouldn't personally wear anything Brik is dreaming up in that head, but I love when he takes his hair down and looks like the cover of a romance novel, or a pirate, or something.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I am not a fan of Erin and I don't know why.  I didn't like her last week and even moreso this week.

The judges just ignored the specific theme of being for any woman because not one of the outfits would look good on anybody except a pre-teen size 6.  The one with the crotch down to the ground was made beautifully but who would wear it?  Raise your hand if you would.

Nobody likes Brik.  I wonder why.  

I like Laurant's outfit.  I am not sure I can wear it but I liked it.   I didn't want Linda to go but I guess we had no choice.

Shut up Cornelius.

• Love 7

I wouldn't be surprised if, had Erin won, the actual catalog garment would have been made in some other fabric, but neoprene would have the advantage of holding its shape well for catalog photography, with no inconvenient drooping.

I find Erin fascinating as a designer (and coveted the duster coat she wore to the runway in the first ep) and curious to learn more about her story as a renegade Mormon and how that informs her design esthetic.

• Love 2

I am wondering if during the episodes I will see fewer commercials for AARP now that Linda's out, heh.

My instantaneous reaction to the droppedest crotch that ever dropped (Jenni's look) was that I sure hope that if I'm ever attacked by a bear, my companion is wearing that, because then I will be able to outrun them.  

Erin's earrings practically made my earlobes hurt just looking at them!

• Love 8

I'm guessing papier maché (they look like Latin American work--a Venezuelan restaurant near me has little wall plaques of fruit stands and other local color that look kind of like them) so yeah, light, but they were so huge for earrings!

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I'm guessing papier maché (they look like Latin American work--a Venezuelan restaurant near me has little wall plaques of fruit stands and other local color that look kind of like them) so yeah, light, but they were so huge for earrings!

They were big enough to BE wall plaques.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Beden said:

Just last evening I was talking with a friend who  insists that she almost always chooses to buy mens pants/jeans for herself for the simple reason that they're generally better made and that the pockets are actually large enough to be useful. She complained that her smart phone and car keys fall out of her 'women's/ladies' slacks, but don't when she wears her mens jeans.

You and your friend might be interested in this article I just read the other day: The Sexist, Political History of Pockets

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And I don't understand Laurence's back pockets - AT ALL - But I guess that's part of the 'cool design' aesthetic.  Nobody would EVER be able to reach back there?!?!

The home ec teacher at my high school (back when it was called home ec) always said you aren't supposed to carry stuff in your pockets because it ruins the line of the clothes. I think that's stupid, but it's probably what designers (and fashion magazine editors) would think.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

I find Erin fascinating as a designer (and coveted the duster coat she wore to the runway in the first ep) and curious to learn more about her story as a renegade Mormon and how that informs her design esthetic.

True, though I'm with other posters, I was curious about the story behind those earrings! Wow.

1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

My instantaneous reaction to the droppedest crotch that ever dropped (Jenni's look) was that I sure hope that if I'm ever attacked by a bear, my companion is wearing that, because then I will be able to outrun them.

Heh, word to that. But they'd probably be safe too as the bear would try to bite you and all it would get is a bunch of fabric! She said something to the effect of 'I do drop crotches, true, but they're sooooo cute.' Like that was her defense. I don't see anything 'cute' about tripping over your own pants. Those kids that wear their jeans down below their butts would look at that and say "Whoa, lady, reel it in a bit!"

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:13 PM, Whodunnit said:

So does anyone else think that the winning look could have been a fashion forward prison jumpsuit worn in North Korea? My whole family thought it was should have been on the bottom...

My friend and I watched together, and we were torn between prison jumpsuit and Rosie the Riveter.  Not good, in our opinion. 

I liked Erin's dress, but I totally agreed with Heidi's "cartoon," comment.  I thought it looked like something from Coraline. 

• Love 3

Well, I'm late to the party as usual, and I'll just try to touch briefly on points already made.  It felt like they just wanted to get the EW challenge out of the way, no matter the outcome. Felt like that with the UM challenge last week, too.  I disliked almost every design.  Or maybe them all.  I HAD that curtain material in my house growing up in the 80's that Linda used. Like others, I did like the knit material, if it is made right it doesn't cling, but the color was a no go.  But I really liked her, was hoping she would stay, even though she was doomed from the first TH she did. Brik reminds me of a cross b/w ManBun from TC (Philip) and Phil from ANTM 20.  Name coincidence? I think not!  Tasha cracks me up.  She reminds me of Andre's grandmother on VICTORIOUS.  I keep waiting for "ANDRE!!!  SOMEBODY STOLE MY CEILING!!!!".  Wasn't the biggest fan of her design though.  I did think Erin should have won for at least thinking about size adjustments.  I even said to Mr. Pickles "that belt is going to get her the win".  Ooops.  I don't like jumpsuits in general, but the slit in the back was a bit of a redeemer to me.  It did show orange on my screen as well.  Laurence is ok in my book. I agreed with the forced drama, if I want to see that I'll tune in to BGC Social Disruption or something.  Jenni reminds me of someone too, not the laugh, just her look, haven't put my finger on it yet.  So much for brief but...I hate drop crotches (not good if you are short, geniesque), mismatched prints, and the crop top stuff.  I didn't like half this shit when I lived through the 90s.  I don't want to live it now.

• Love 1

Dexter's jacket - I think Zac called it "androgynous."  I know that's exactly what I look for in clothes, something androgynous.  :/  To me it looked like a jacket someone would wear out in the middle of the night to tag some buildings.  I expected the model to open it up to show off half a dozen cans of spray paint in pockets inside. 

• Love 5

The winning look reminded me too much of my daughter's Kaylee Frye (Firefly) cosplay costume..  I guess if you want to get an idea how it would look on all body times just look for pictures from SciFi conventions.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, speac said:

The winning look reminded me too much of my daughter's Kaylee Frye (Firefly) cosplay costume..  I guess if you want to get an idea how it would look on all body times just look for pictures from SciFi conventions.

YES!  Kaylee's a mechanic, so it's perfect. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:39 PM, aquarian1 said:

I actually liked the jumpsuit from the front, but not from the back.  From the back it looked like the model's butt was at her knees.  Not a good look for anyone, I don't think.

The white dress.  I could see the design in it, and it did stand out.  But I couldn't help thinking white traffic cone.  And even with the waist cinched, it added so much bulk to the body.  Also not a good look for anyone.

The 3rd top look, bare midriff and giant bow.  The bow was my least favorite part.  I can't imagine that much volume on a chest of any size.  Even on a smaller chest, I think I'd be distracted wearing it.

I agree with your comments.  I actually had a jumpsuit very much like the one Laurence designed, same army green color and all, except it had roll-up cuffs rather than the cinched ankles of Laurence's.  It also lacked the ridiculous dropwaist pockets and sewn-in strip of suede in the back.  I liked mine better than Laurence's...but it was in the 1980s!

Erin's dress was shaped like a traffic cone, lol!   I kept thinking of a Petruchio clown outfit I remember seeing somewhere.  It had this same shape too, but it had huge sequin buttons down the front, rather than those tacky, cheap-looking side straps with the strip of sequins sewn on them that Tim Gunn let Erin know he didn't like. 

After being so encouraged last week by what many of these designers were able to do with an unconventional materials challenge, this week was disappointing and underwhelming.   I agreed with the judges about the bottom two, though they were both so awful I thought it should have been a surprise double elimination.  Worst of all, there wasn't a single design I would have chosen to elevate to the top 3. 

Bummer. 

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

Neoprene is stiff and can be easily molded to create garments that hold their structure. Most of the neoprene garments I've ever seen are on the racks at Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call or Nordstrom Rack. They started out as super high-end designer garments that ended up in the outlet store, mostly because they tend to develop annoying vertical snags and pulls in the material. I tried on a neoprene dress once and dare I say I liked it on me -- and I am very much an "everyday woman" size 12 and very picky about what I wear. But I didn't buy it because of neoprene's snag-run issues. 

I haaaaate, hate hate hate drop crotches and surprisingly I liked Jenni's look -- because the crotch was so dropped that it was practically a skirt. I have only ever liked one other drop-crotch outfit in my life, also on Project Runway, by designer Alexandria in Season 12 -- and also because it looked more like a skirt.

So I guess I just like skirts.

AlexandriaDesign.jpg

• Love 5

Just watching now for the first time, so please excuse me if I repeat others' comments:

I love Alex's "Lady Cornelius from the Land of Shade!" Ha! Cornelius sure bugs me, kind of a wannabe snarky Christian Siriano but falling short. Brik wasn't called out for making pants, it was because pants and top didn't really go together.

I love Kimber: "Devil, you go back to hell!"  I feel like there's a good variety of personalities this season.

I liked Nathalia's the best. Looks like Erin dressed herself to coordinate with her model. Looks like Linda did, to.

Just Fab lady looks like a blonde Wendy Pepper. Congratulations, Laurence! I wouldn't mind wearing that jumpsuit (except for the color) and I'm 58.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Cornelius sure bugs me, kind of a wannabe snarky Christian Siriano but falling short.

Yeah there is a difference there with Lady C, they aren't witty and/or snarky comments that are "in the moment" it was one snarky comment that he thought was brilliant so he then made an act out of by saying it to as many people as he could. He's a bit self-aggrandizing if you ask me, always looking to be superior over someone by letting everyone else know of other's shortcomings.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WicketyWack said:

I haaaaate, hate hate hate drop crotches and surprisingly I liked Jenni's look -- because the crotch was so dropped that it was practically a skirt.

I agree -- I thought her outfit was the only "finished" garment shown and I  liked the color surprisingly.  I could see myself wearing that provided the "skirt" was full enough to allow full leg movement vs hobbling along (aka I could run, climb stairs, you know, all those daily functional requirements!)

• Love 3

I loved Jenni's outfit and was bummed it wasn't in the top, since I wanted a closer look at it.  I especially loved the jacket, and the whole thing looked really well made.  Laurence originally wanted leather for her jumpsuit, but couldn't find what she wanted.  That jumpsuit would have been really pretty in a thin burgundy leather with the same brown suede stripe on the back.  I also think that Alex's pants would have been fantastic in leather or pleather.

There is something off about Brik, I can't describe what exactly, but something.

I can't remember who made the floral top and dark grey skirt, but I thought that was just as boring as Brik's, and should have been in the bottom also.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Honey said:

I can't remember who made the floral top and dark grey skirt, but I thought that was just as boring as Brik's, and should have been in the bottom also.

I agree. Even my husband, who knows nothing about fashion and lets me pick out and buy all of his clothes, looked at that and said, "It's just a shirt and top. Nice, but can't you get those anywhere?" I would've picked Brik over that outfit myself. I didn't care that much for Brik but I actually kind of liked the knit pants. A little tighter and I would wear them in winter with knee-high boots and a tight black top. Maybe with a scarf. 

• Love 4

Finally got to see the show. As everyone was making fun of and/or bashing Brik, I was hoping he would pull it off, because I liked his sketch. Yes, his outfit was a bit boring, but apparently I kinda like boring, because I liked the top, myself. He was going to add something, but Tim suggested that he keep it simple. I also agree with @mamadrama and @Honey that the floral shirt and skirt were just as boring - to me maybe more.

Cornelius is bugging me, but so is Alex. I mean, Brik's outfit is a "middle finger to all of the other designers?" Really? Does that include drop crotch Jeni and boring floral top with skirt Sarah or Linda's urban kimono or Tasha's mesh tummy showing thing or that weird giant flasher jacket? Shut up, Alex. The crotch on your pants was kinda weird too - after an above poster mentioned them looking like a lady's unmentionables, I couldn't not see that upon rewatch - and the big bow and bare stomach would look weird on someone with a tummy or boobs that weren't unnaturally hiked up. And that bow would be a mess if your woman actually got on that motorcycle you mentioned your woman would supposedly hop onto.

Too bad my prediction about Alex being Wendy Pepper-like was wrong. At least Wendy was stealth about it. Alex is just openly judgemental. And the little smirk when Brik was being criticized (unless that was editing monkeys) Okay, got that off my chest (which would never, ever be sporting a giant bow by the way.) Moving on...

When I saw Erin's dress, I immediately thought Alice in Wonderland... like the Red Queen or something. It looked "junior" to me as Nina would say. I thought the cinching did bad things to the front of the skirt.

I don't see it happening, but I sooo wish that Brik would be an Andre... who also started out on the bottom, but eventually pulled off some lovey things... his dress inspired by the mud puddle - which in my opinion, should've won that challenge - is still one of my favorite designs seen on this show. (His return on All-Stars, just couldn't recapture that, and ended badly).

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, WicketyWack said:

Neoprene is stiff and can be easily molded to create garments that hold their structure. Most of the neoprene garments I've ever seen are on the racks at Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call or Nordstrom Rack. They started out as super high-end designer garments that ended up in the outlet store, mostly because they tend to develop annoying vertical snags and pulls in the material. I tried on a neoprene dress once and dare I say I liked it on me -- and I am very much an "everyday woman" size 12 and very picky about what I wear. But I didn't buy it because of neoprene's snag-run issues. 

I haaaaate, hate hate hate drop crotches and surprisingly I liked Jenni's look -- because the crotch was so dropped that it was practically a skirt. I have only ever liked one other drop-crotch outfit in my life, also on Project Runway, by designer Alexandria in Season 12 -- and also because it looked more like a skirt.

So I guess I just like skirts.

AlexandriaDesign.jpg

My first reaction to her look was positive, for the same reason as yours, that it looked like a skirt.  But then I started thinking about what wearing it would be like, and it seemed to me that one's stride would be so severely restricted that tripping would be almost inevitable.  

The home ec teacher at my high school (back when it was called home ec) always said you aren't supposed to carry stuff in your pockets because it ruins the line of the clothes. I think that's stupid, but it's probably what designers (and fashion magazine editors) would think.

And while we're at it, would someone PLEASE explain to me the purpose of breast pockets on women's blouses???

13 hours ago, Honey said:

Not only was it boring, it was shockingly poorly accessorized. I know brogues with skirts have been a trend for a few years with fashion insiders, but not in this way.  Sarah should either take note of what Alex, Mah-Jing and perhaps Roberi, does with the accessory wall or stick to accessorizing as little as possible as some of the other designers do.

• Love 2