Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E03: Just Fabulous!

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I honestly thought this runway would be a trainwreck, but I was pretty impressed. I really liked Jenni, Erin, Mah-Jing and Laurence, and and also enjoyed Nathalia, Dexter and Alex. Not all of them aced the assignment, but the show barely cares what the challenge is nowadays. 

I'm really excited to have Erin, Dexter and Jenni on the show. As Project Runway has shifted towards more commercial, everyday wear I've found myself losing interest. These three designers in particular have taken risks and stepped out of the box in both challenges (so has Nathalia, but not as successfully). Color, people! We have color and interesting silhouettes on the show again!

I'm now optimistic about this season.

• Love 4

For a moment, I thought Brik was going to be judged on last week AND this week. I'm pleased that the judges followed the rules (this time) and based their decision on this week's challenge alone. At least Brik's jacket had some redeeming qualities, while I felt Linda knew she had messed up royally, and was actually ashamed of what she presented.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

Linda knew she had messed up royally

That jacket looked like something that my cats had gotten into with their claws. And the dress-- that cutout was uneven, and even a size 4 would feel awkward with the cling of it.

• Love 6

Alex and Laurence were killing me this week. First I love that Alex was so excited about doing this challenge and that he isn't one of those "I only design for models" kind of designers, but the fact that he actually enjoys designing for non-models made me like him even more. I also loved his color coded list. My OCD totally approves.

I totally cracked up when Laurence said that she hurt her ankle twerking the night before. But then her story about how her father disowned her for getting pregnant at 16 and then never spoke to her again made me want to give her a hug.

Listening to Laurence try to teach Nathalia how to say "Où sont les toilettes?" was like when Phoebe tried to teach French to Joey.

Man, it's only the second week and Cornelius is already talking mad shit. I can't believe he went around to like five different people to talk about how he couldn't believe that Brik was doing pants again. I mean, I agree that it was a dumb idea on Brik's part but Cornelius obviously loves gossiping and shit stirring.

I understand that Kimber was frustrated but all of her shrieking and moaning was so annoying.

I didn't like Laurence's jumpsuit at all. On a non-model, it would not be very flattering. Between the drop crotch, the loose shape, and the army green color, it would make larger women look like they were wearing ill-feating coveralls from Dickies to paint a house. The little vented things on the butt were not flattering. As much as I love pockets, it looked like the side pockets were too low. I don't want to have to bend my knees so that I can get my hand down to the bottom of my pocket to retrieve my keys or phone or whatever I put in there. I also didn't like the button placket on the front.

Rik's look was too junior for my taste. I don't know how big the woman at the larger range of this "everyday woman" is supposed to be, but I know I heard Tim ask someone in the workroom how their design would look on someone how's larger than a size 12. I don't know that someone bigger than a 12 will want to wear a crop top and short skirt. I did like the patterned fabrics he used together though.

Alex's look didn't seem like an everyday woman outfit to me either. Between the exposed midriff (which would not be flattering on someone who doesn't have a flat stomach) and the huge bow (which might not look good on someone with large breasts), it looked more like something better suited for a model on the runway than an everyday woman. I liked his design, but I just didn't think it was well suited for this particular challenge.

I'm with Jenni's grandmother - those drop crotch pants were atrocious. And newsflash, Jenni: someone who's afraid to try something different is not going to wear those pants. They were not flattering on the ass either.Hated the rose colored faux fur on the jacket. How many muppets must die this season?

I liked Kimber's outfit and I think that it was much more in line with the ready to wear challenge. If you're going to do a crop top for a range of sizes, pairing it with high waisted pants seems like it will appeal to a wider range of women than an exposed midriff. I agree with Tim that the navy blue and white pattern she chose for the top went really well with the fabric she used for the pants.

ITA with Laurence that Linda's decision to make a jersey knit dress was a terrible idea. Sure, in theory that means you only have to make a few sizes and not worry as much about tailoring it to fit women but a dress in that fabric will show every lump on a woman's body so it's not going to appeal to larger women who are self conscious about their stomachs, hips, etc. The design of the actual dress was too simple. It looked like something you could buy at Forever 21. Hated the sheer white fabric. It looked so cheap.

Nathalia's coat was too big and shapeless. Her model looked like a little kid wearing her dad's coat. The outfit underneath looked like ever other tank top/legging combo you can buy at Lululemon, athleta, or even Target. I liked the purplish blue color she used on the top though.

Sarah's lilac flowered top and black skirt looks like something from Wet Seal about twenty years ago. Hated those flat oxford looking shoes she had her model wear.

I liked Mah-Jing's greyish (or was it a dark blue?) dress. It would be flattering on a variety of women and it was different from the basic tank top + skirt combos that too many people made this week.The shape and details made it different.

I am undecided about what Cornelius made. On the one hand, I like that he chose a bold print. But the triangle shape he used on the chest meant that the black and white pattern didn't match up so when the model was walking down the runway, I felt like the pattern in motion was on the verge of giving me a headache. I didn't like his "architectural detail" in the back. Why would you want a piece of fabric hanging down to look like a hood but not actually be a hood? The only interesting thing about his skirt was the pattern. I didn't like that particular shade of green and the skirt itself was totally boring. The shape was just a regular skirt. When I worked in an office, I had that skirt in various colors.

Tasha's model looked cool when she was waking the runway but I didn't like the individual pieces. I didn't like how she pieced the skirt together because that darker material on the top third made it seem like I was seeing the model's granny panties through her skirt. Was that mesh where the model's stomach was exposed? Blech. And the top was just a navy t-shirt.

The best thing about Brik's look was the pattern he had for the pants. I hated that tiny triangle of skin showing between the top of the pants and the bottom of the jacket. The grey he used for the jacket was so blah. I didn't like his styling either. His model's hair looked too messy to be wearing a boring jacket like that. It might have looked better with a sleek low ponytail.

Dexter's jacket was way too big and baggy. His model was swimming in it. I also hated the collar (or lack thereof) because it looked like he just got to the top and cut the fabric straight across. Hated how the armpits of the jacket were down to her ribs. Like Nathalia's, it made the model look like a little kid who got cold and put on her dad's coat.

Roberi's was not interesting to me. I hated the pinkish floral looking fabric he used for the skirt. It reminded me of a couch from the 80s.

Why was everyone in the workroom oohing and aahing over Erin's neoprene dress? That is definitely not an everywoman kind of dress. It was way too big in the front. You could wear it as a maternity dress until the seventh month and no one would ever see your baby belly. It was definitely more flattering with the belt snapped. I also didn't like the way it looked in the shoulder area. But I will say that at least Erin made something with sleeves which is a nice change from all the sleeveless tops.

I used to love The Vampire Diaries, so I was interested to see how Nina Dobrev would do as a guest judge. I liked that she was very specific about what she liked (as opposed to some of the actresses we get as guest judges whose version of complimentary is "I like it. I would wear it."), but I also liked that she wasn't afraid to disagree with the judges and she made sure to explain why. Zac and Nina (Garcia) clearly didn't like Kimber's outfit but she had pointed out some of the reasons she liked it. On a shallow note, I liked the white lasercut dress she was wearing.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I would like to get out of the drop crotch pant trend and the oversized jacket trend.

You said it - I don't like either of them - the pants remind me of MC Hammer and the jackets also remind me of the huge oversized "Boy George" jackets with slouchy shoulders that I wore in the 80's.

Is it that these type of garments are easier to sew?  I would assume they are easier to fit on the model, as you don't have to worry so much about tailoring and fitting to the model's body.  I guess, again, I am woefully unfashionable, because I just don't think these looks are good for anyone.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 5

A jumpsuit won for every woman?  They all need to read a copy of Tim's Washington Post interview.  Especially Nina, Zac and Heidi.  Then make all those looks in sizes 16 or 18 and have them take a good look.  I was disappointed that they did not have models chosen from the women at the park.

Brick's look was not a winner but I so would have loved it back when I worked in an office during that time of the month.  It looked so comfy. 

Someone take all the neoprene out of Mood please or train Swatch to guard it so they can't buy it.  Give them two days to work so they can use other fabrics that need facings or lining.

And finally Cornelius I so wanted to root for you being from Worcester but you are too catty and that outfit hurt my eyes.

• Love 5

Not into the drop crotch pants or the neoprene - anyone else styling that would be told the model looks pregnant and that it wasn't something any woman would wear. Sorry I don't think most women can wear crop tops - especially those 40+. I liked Brik's outfit - a 40 something could wear that. I liked Linda's dress - I've worn quite a few knit dresses in my time. Bottom for me was the neoprene and drop pants. Guess I'm an old fart.

I liked Roberi's outfit and Mah's. Laurence's was awesome and women of any size could wear it - that's what I thought the challenge was all about - something an everyday woman could wear - not just a size 0,1,2,3,4

Edited by tessat

While I found Brik's to be inoffensive, I also found it to be painfully bland. And it looked exactly like something you'd find in the late 1990s at inexpensive fast-fashion stores like Joyce Leslie or Mandee (in the "career" section). Not that I know anything about him--and he seems sweet--but between this week and the glitter pants (which I didn't hate but didn't find to be remotely innovative), he makes me think that he doesn't know much about what's already been done in mainstream young women's clothes.

Oooh, that Cornelius! He's apparently a bit of an abrasive "mean boy" (haha!)--and not even a stealthy one!  

Just want to let you ladies know. Pasta and alcohol ... they are not your friends.

They are not just my friends, they are my soulmates (as evidenced last night, in fact, with a whole box of macaroni to myself, followed by two vodka mixed drinks. What the hell kind of life is this for a grown woman?).

nobody can wear a knit dress well and it was such a BLAND color. 

and even a size 4 would feel awkward with the cling of it.

I disagree that nobody can wear that type of knit dress; I love them in the winter--the more fitted, the better (and the warmer they feel too, especially in a freezing-cold office). I think the trouble with Linda's was that the dress wasn't thick or clingy enough; the fabric looked cheap and flimsy, as if it was something only made to look but not feel sweatery, and like it would become completely misshapen after one hand-wash. (Also, I feel like neoprene adds more bulk than a chunkier knit does, depending on the way the former sits on the body. I recently got rid of an unworn black "fit & flare" dress that was made of a neoprene-ish fabric because it felt boxy even though it seemed to fit correctly.)

I didn't mind the color of Linda's dress in and of itself but a bolder one might have been a nice effect under the "cloudy" transparent look of that...whatever jacket thing. However--and while I think I get what she was going for, the thickness of the dress topped by the wispiness of the jacket kind of bugged me; why would you cover one with the other?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, tpplay said:

Do these people even know who an "every day women" is???

I am - just - really furious at this moment.  It has nothing really to do with who won or didn't - although that crazy shaped like a funnel dress is something no "every day woman" ON EARTH would wear.

I am a size 10, pear shaped lady.  I know that I look and feel my best in Mad Men-inspired late '50s, early '60s swing dresses rather than stuff that hugs my ample belly, butt, and thighs.  I may not be EVERY every day woman, but I am AN every day woman, and I would smash it in that dress. 

On the other hand, Laurence's coverall would make me look like a rectangle, and I don't even go to the beach with my belly bared.  There were some looks that SOME women could wear, and some that NO woman should wear.  The brief was too broad. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, candall said:

Cornelius!  STFU with your black & white stripes over giant green houndstooth.  Yeah, I saw your pop of color--it hurt my eyes.

I actually liked his outfit (but am beginning to really dislike him), but, like most of the them, it didn't fit the challenge at all.  Mixing prints is great, and I liked the two he paired, but you really need to be conscious of body types with that.

I laughed at the "office worker on top/couch potato on bottom" remark about Brik's--I was thinking the same thing, only "pajamas on bottom."  That outfit made no sense at all.

I'm still optimistic about this season.  I hope the designers just refuse to respond to Cornelius' sh*t-stirring and he realizes he's just making an ass of himself for no reason.

Laughing Girl sounds like that noise that DJ's make by scratching the needle across a record repeatedly. 

• Love 3

chitowng: YES to SWATCH!! I was so excited to see him and glad to hear Tim interact with him and some of the designers giving him a good scratch.

Miss Ruth: I totally agree that Linda's was the worst and don't hate that she was out - although I'm always rooting for the old guys - but I thought your observation about her being ashamed of what she had made is EXACTLY the reason Brik should have gone this week instead of her. He looked at that in the workroom and on his model and thought it was either good, acceptable, or okay. He has no real fashion sense, and after talking about Mervyn's in the first episode, it looked like Mervyn's was exactly where he conceptualized the patterns for his togs this week.

If he's in the bottom next week, he should go just based on three strikes. Although, from the preview, it looks as if he might have picked the right week to be safe. Still, I don't think he belongs on PR and I don't think he'll last much longer. He seems a nice kid, but as we all know, nice guys don't always or ever win on this show.

• Love 6

The most egregious handicap, after the "One Day Challenge," is the ridiculously short window for choosing fabric.  Run!  Grab something, anything! 

Oh my goodness, agree! I learned to sew only last year (and have since made a few dresses and just finished a pretty darn fabulous Batgirl Halloween costume, if I do say so myself!), and even when I have as long as I like in a fabric store, I am practically paralyzed by the possibilities--and that's with my own hard-earned cash and excluding fabrics that I feel I'm not yet skilled enough to attempt using or spend the dough on (I'm scared I'll mess them up so I stick with less expensive stuff).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I did appreciate Linda's very classy exit - recognizing her errors and being gracious in her loss.  As opposed to Ian last week who is probably still muttering to himself "I like the dress."  And, it showed in the other designers' and Tim's much more genuine emotions at the goodbye.

On another note, was I the only one who thought Heidi was talking to Nina Dobrev when she said "would you wear this, Nina?" and not Nina Garcia, who jumped right in with "yes!!"  I don't think Heidi takes into consideration for one second whether Ms. Garcia would wear an outfit, when making her judging decisions.  And, once again last night, Heidi wins the argument about who goes home.  

• Love 5

I hope the designers just refuse to respond to Cornelius' sh*t-stirring and he realizes he's just making an ass of himself for no reason.

The one thing I'd disagree with there is that he's doing it "for no reason."  Project Runway has trained any prospective contestants watching the show for years now that the best way to not be eliminated, even if your work is absolutely terrible, is to play the villain.  You'll get passes nobody else does, 'cause the producers want to keep you in as long as possible for entertainment's sake.  Frankly, about the smartest strategy a PR contestant could take in the days of the modern PR is to start off being a total catty jerk to everybody, coast for weeks just making barely adequate outfits, and then suddenly start producing your very best work as the show enters its last weeks.  You'll have to do as little work as possible for a long time, and you'll still get the "redemption" edit.

This "we have to have a villain" nonsense is what I'm begging PR's producers not to do yet again this year, but I can't really immediately blame Cornelius himself, because the PR producers have made it loud and clear that since they plan to hand us the same old "storylines" year after year, playing the catty, backbiting villain is one of the best ways to stay in the game.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Look at the dozens of women paraded before them as the challenge was given.   They weren't so much "everyday women" as they were "everyday, young, fresh-faced, telegenic and not very overweight women."

I was watching as carefully as I could and I couldn't see anyone who was over 30 or over a size 10.  They should have had all their names in the button bag for the designers to pull as their models.  Not their clients, but their models.  And when they kept referring to the "JustFab girl," you know they're not talking about mature women.

When you trot out pretty much all the TH you have from someone at the beginning of the ep, including their entire life story, particularly when you completely ignored them on the previous ep, you've pretty much telegraphed the auf.

Swatch...  V●ᴥ●V

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Sarah's lilac flowered top and black skirt looks like something from Wet Seal about twenty years ago. Hated those flat oxford looking shoes she had her model wear.

How in the world was this outfit not in the bottom? A black pencil skirt and boring sleeveless top. I don't get it. 

LOVED Mah-Jing's denim dress. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

On another note, was I the only one who thought Heidi was talking to Nina Dobrev when she said "would you wear this, Nina?" and not Nina Garcia, who jumped right in with "yes!!"  I don't think Heidi takes into consideration for one second whether Ms. Garcia would wear an outfit, when making her judging decisions.  

I didn't think that at the time, but now I do. It makes much more sense!

• Love 2

I actually liked the black sheer big bow top and pants set, though I would wear it with a full-length tank underneath (61 years old, size 8/10, not showing this ol' grandma belly out in public). I like sheer tops over tanks, wear a lot of black, and thought the pants were nice. Was it high fashion? Probably not, but the design was supposedly for the everyday woman. I thought the jumpsuit was striking, though I had a military cut olive green jumpsuit in 1977 that really wasn't very different, so not particularly original (and jumpsuits are a nightmare for women who actually have to pee occasionally). Hated the neoprene thing. I liked the denim wrap dress and was surprised it wasn't in the top. I'd have sent Linda (?) home for that wretched kimono/knit thing, so agreed there, but Brik isn't far behind. And Cornelius' design was fine (only fine, unlike his own impression of his skill), but he can go anytime just because I'm tired of the bitchy behind the scenes drama. Other than that -- I'll keep watching, because I just can't seem to quit this show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I used to have this Calvin Klein sweater dress that I wore until it literally fell apart from use and that thing hung well, didn't cling anywhere on my then size 14 body, and was even washable.  So I know it can be done, but not with that cheap/thin/overly stretchy knit she chose. 

Like Lizzing, I had a fantastic knit.  Midi-length straight skirt with a boatneck, 3/4 sleeves, that same "black & white makes grey" color. (Small shoulder pads--always helpful.)  I thought he was crazy when the salesman insisted, but he was right--it never pooched or stretched out, was flattering, hid my flaws, made me look long and lean.  Sigh. 

I think that there are knits and there are knits.  I don't know if the difference is some kind of pricey high end knitting process or the quality/composition of the yarn, but the good stuff is out there.

• Love 3

Everyone was going "ga-ga" over the convertible belt on the neoprene dress.  IMHO, it would have been better if the same convertibility was available to cinch in the back of the dress.  When the front volume was mushed down by the extension of the belt, the clump of fabric was massive, while the back was smooth and not as full.  Who wears a belt that only goes 2/3 of the way around the waist?  Especially the front 2/3.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 5
  2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

How in the world was this outfit not in the bottom? A black pencil skirt and boring sleeveless top. I don't get it. 

LOVED Mah-Jing's denim dress. 

The rule on PR has always been that there's nothing worse than boring. Based on that, I really thought Sarah would be the one to go. You can't get much more boring than what she put down the runway.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Callasin said:

A jumpsuit won for every woman?  They all need to read a copy of Tim's Washington Post interview.  Especially Nina, Zac and Heidi.  Then make all those looks in sizes 16 or 18 and have them take a good look.  I was disappointed that they did not have models chosen from the women at the park.

Brick's look was not a winner but I so would have loved it back when I worked in an office during that time of the month.  It looked so comfy. 

Someone take all the neoprene out of Mood please or train Swatch to guard it so they can't buy it.  Give them two days to work so they can use other fabrics that need facings or lining.

And finally Cornelius I so wanted to root for you being from Worcester but you are too catty and that outfit hurt my eyes.

Hi neighbor!  I grew up in Lunenburg (next to Fitchburg).  My first real big concert was at the Centrum in Worcester, saw U2!   I feel the same way about Cornelius.  I wanted to root for homeboy, but he's too nasty for me to support.  Perhaps when he ages a little he will also mature emotionally. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tessat said:

Not into the drop crotch pants or the neoprene - anyone else styling that would be told the model looks pregnant and that it wasn't something any woman would wear. Sorry I don't think most women can wear crop tops - especially those 40+. I liked Brik's outfit - a 40 something could wear that. I liked Linda's dress - I've worn quite a few knit dresses in my time. Bottom for me was the neoprene and drop pants. Guess I'm an old fart.

I liked Roberi's outfit and Mah's. Laurence's was awesome and women of any size could wear it - that's what I thought the challenge was all about - something an everyday woman could wear - not just a size 0,1,2,3,4

I guess we are both in the minority.  I liked Linda's dress!  I love knit dresses, and I do not have a perfect figure like I did when I was younger.  I am 50 and have a little bulge here and there and the knit dresses I wear help disguise it very well.  Perhaps hers was too thin, which is why it was critiqued so much?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

chitowng: YES to SWATCH!! I was so excited to see him and glad to hear Tim interact with him and some of the designers giving him a good scratch.

It looked to me like Swatch is going grey around his muzzle and face. Anyone know how old that dog is?

And, once again last night, Heidi wins the argument about who goes home.  

Heidi is an Executive Producer. Her votes counts more than others.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3

So many horrible looks walked down the runway this week. I absolutely agree with those of you who pointed out the insanity of an olive drab jumpsuit as something a wide variety of women can wear. Jumpsuits, like capes, are something designers keep trying to push but consumers fairly consistently reject them. Cropped top are fine on young and slim women, but the rest of us not so much. But the abomination I want to talk about is Jenni's look. Hon, when your Grandmother tells you that the design feature you LOVE makes your model look like she's c$%pped herself, it's time to change. The crotch of those profoundly ugly pants were below the model's knee, for heaven's sake. NO ONE...NO ONE...will buy or wear those. The jacket looked like she'd used a bathmat for the shoulders. Bad, bad, bad work. I think this week should have been a double elimination, both Brik and Linda deserved to go. Warnings should have been handed out to a whole bunch of designers, telling them they're on thin ice.

• Love 9

It's not just that the neoprene dress or the jumpsuit would not work on heavier women.   A 5'1" woman would be completely swallowed up by either.  I loved Alex's look, but that's more my style.

I actually like jumpsuits, but Laurence's looked like a Hazmat suit or something a car mechanic would wear.   

• Love 1

Cornelius: first, when you approach MULTIPLE people one at a time all sotto voce "not to be shady but..." you ARE being shady. And not even entertainingly shady. Just pathetic. Your slip is showing; go stir shit up somewhere else. 

Second, I like a bold pattern mix, but that stripe and houndstooth were really not working for me on his dress. Also, did anyone else notice that the way the darts in the bodice were constructed left the dress with two black circles over the nipples? Once I saw it, I couldn't stop seeing it. No thanks. 

• Love 5

If those were examples of what the "everyday woman" would wear, I must be extraordinary because I wouldn't be caught dead in any of that crap. Although I can see the usefulness of the oversized "flasher" jacket. That was a carefully curated group of average women and even they couldn't pull off most of those looks. Do people actually have jobs outside of the fashion or entertainment biz where they can show up with exposed midriffs? Do people actually want to get completely undressed to take a bathroom break? 

I like Laurence but was not impressed by a winning garment that didn't even look good on the model. And Tasha, WTF was that?! Her model looked pregnant!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, avecsans said:

What was the point in bringing out the droves of women at the beginning?  I thought the designers would have to choose their models from the crowd and that it would be a "real woman " challenge.

Nina and Zak exasperate me.  I was not a fan of Brik's outfit either, but they talked about it as if it were the worst thing they had ever seen.  Then they praise that neoprene nightmare as if Coco Chanel herself had designed it.  Who would wear that, and on what occasion could it be worn?  At least it didn't win.  I hate jumpsuits as a rule but I thought Laurence's would be cute on certain young, skinny people.  And I liked the black outfit with the bow (can't remember the designer's name) but it desperately needed a pop of color.

In general, I think this is a pretty good group of designers.  I'm looking forward to learning all their names.

I agree with everything you wrote.  Though I'm starting to get Erin a bit more.  She's a very designery designer.  Not realistic at all but designers like her.  

The quote boxes basically want me to hurt somebody so here:

quote:  "The episode began and I was just telling my husband how much I liked that last week was mostly free of the usual producer shenanigans, when, about 30 seconds into tonight's episode they start with the "Cornelius is throwing shade at..." blah, blah, blah garbage.

Jeez, PR, you seriously need an intervention.  Repeat after me: you do not need this crap.  It's played out, we've seen the same variations 8000 billion times now, and your own PR:Juniors shows how good the show can be when it's not all "ohmigod, designer x is saying nasty things about designer y."  

I kind of like several things about this season so far, so please, please, PR, do not ruin this, okay?"  /quote

It's the 15th season and it's always been like this.  I don't even know why some people watch the show when they hate the formula.  All I have been thinking this season is that it's a wonderful, positive group of people with 1 guy who's a little bitchy I guess.  So what?  It's practically Kumbaya compared to most seasons.  I think the designers' personalities are collectively very likeable.

I should listen to my own advice.  I love PR so much and then I come here and it's just a lot of shit throwing at the show.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I hated Laurence's jumpsuit. A low waist, drop crotch jumpsuit would be my worst nightmare. The back looked like the model had a saggy butt complete with pockets. It did not work for me. I like Laurence, but really hate this jumpsuit.

Completely agree!  Because it can't be said enough, I hated everything about that jumpsuit and can't see anyone wearing it anywhere unless it was in flannel and came with footies and it's own poop-filled diaper.  JustHorrible!

I was disappointed in this runway after last week.  Why do people do so well with unconventional materials, and then totally lose it when they have actual fabric to work with that they get to choose?

• Love 2

There were several runway outfits I would have loved when I was in college -- in the 1980s.

I thought the exact same thing! The giant bow at the neck of a silky blouse? 80's workwear staple for looking more grownup. The trapeze dress? I wore it in cotton, but I also had matching bikeshort bloomers - made the outfit.

• Love 1

Seriously, the problem with this challenge is always the same...the average woman is a size 12 or more. And she needs good fabric in a subtle cut to look attractive. I see women who not are thin wearing beautifully designed clothes all the time here in NYC, so it can be done. And they look very good. Why the would-be designers do not plan ahead for this challenge is beyond me...it comes up every time. And, Nina, "fashion-forward" and "editorial" do not necessarily mesh with making an average woman look wonderful.

Christian Seriano did a great job with a runway dress for Leslie Jones, who is not small. The design itself was not innovative, but he chose a beautiful red to complement her skin, and it was made meticulously and draped to suggest her curves, not camouflage them. 

And, once again, Tim Gunn in a second editorial in the Wash Post lambasted the fashion industry for ignoring the reality of the real size of American women, and refusing to design for them. Seriano proves once again, that he is still the best designer to come out of Project Runway. 

• Love 11

For this specific challenge, I was very surprised that they didn't take better advantage of the Real Women who appeared as the challenge brief was presented.

There was a missed opportunity when the show used the usual fashion models to show the clothes, AND to choose the winner-loser designer. As many people have mentioned gorgeous young size 2 models are not "every woman", but they would present enough of an equal base for the clothes to be be initially judged winner/loser/safe.

Why not - AFTER the judges have made that initial call - give the top and bottom designers a second day to reproduce their looks on 2 additional /very different/ types of women (petite/tall, millenial/senior, different 'problem areas' to camoflage)? That way, the final decision of who wins and who goes home could be based on the actual challenge - a garment that could look good on most women (vs. Heidi and Nina's fantasy Everywoman). I think the judge would definitely have more of a basis for their final decisions.

• Love 12

And, once again, Tim Gunn in a second editorial in the Wash Post lambasted the fashion industry for ignoring the reality of the real size of American women,

I wish Tim would lambast the judges for ignoring this reality within the confines of their own show!  We got a few mealy-mouthed, "I don't know about the top..." when referring to all those bared midriffs, but the whole show is hypocritical in calling this a regular-woman challenge.  If they never bother to critique the clothes based on that directive, the designers will continue to deliver clothes for model-thin young women and nothing else.    Heidi and Nina need a thump on the head.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

There was a missed opportunity when the show used the usual fashion models to show the clothes, AND to choose the winner-loser designer. As many people have mentioned gorgeous young size 2 models are not "every woman", but they would present enough of an equal base for the clothes to be be initially judged winner/loser/safe.

It's too bad there is never a short, pudgy, middle-aged judge on the show when they do these "real women" challenges.  I need someone who can say, nope, not gonna work for 80% of my customers nor 100% of me.  Instead, they have a tall, thin model a thin actress (is that who she is?), and a thin Nina who hasn't changed her hairstyle since the 70's (Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!).

Or, where are all those computers and technology they're always promoting on this show?  Surely, there is an app that can take a dress photo and "fit" it for women of specific dimensions so you can SEE how it would look on someone 5'4" and 140 pounds (I think that is the 'average' American woman size).

Edited by izabella
  • Love 9

The crotch and butt on Brik's pants hurt each and every one of my feelings. Linda's urban kimono was horrible.

There are too many of them! When Kimber was getting a lot of screen time, I was like "Harpo, who dis woman?" And I forgot about Cornelius (but I'm sick of his shit already). I might do a crop top with a high-waisted pant but I were going to wear a crop top, it definitely wouldn't be Kimber's - it would be a more fitted one at the hem. Kimber's wouldn't flatter my breasts. I was surprised Mah-Jing's wasn't in the top. I loved that. I hated Nathalia's - I kept waiting for the model to unzip it to reveal the actual outfit.

I'm going to need them to stop harping on Jennie's laugh, because it (the laugh) is annoying AF. Like, we get it by now, so let's move on.

I had the morbid thought when I saw Swatch (who is just precious) that he's got to be on the older side by now. It's going to be really sad when he's no longer on the show.

So is this the "every woman" challenge or the mass market challenge? There are usually both.

• Love 1

Those dumbass saggy pockets would be a pain in the ass to sit on, or pain in the thighs.  Especially if you used them as actual pockets and put something in them.  It looked like the pockets would hit the back of her thighs if she sat down. 

I guess "any woman" doesn't ever sit in her clothes?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 6

Okay the universe is out of tilt or something because I actually agreed with something Heidi said! WTH is an ugly neoprene dress good for unless you think someone's gonna throw you in the east river?

Please for the love of Pete stop with the drop crotch and hanging butt pants. Nobody, I repeat nobody looks good if it looks like they shat their pants.

Someone please tell Heidi to give Blanche Devereaux her night gown back please.

Swatch the highlight of the show for me.

• Love 7

It's the 15th season and it's always been like this.  I don't even know why some people watch the show when they hate the formula.  All I have been thinking this season is that it's a wonderful, positive group of people with 1 guy who's a little bitchy I guess.  So what?  It's practically Kumbaya compared to most seasons.  I think the designers' personalities are collectively very likeable.

I should listen to my own advice.  I love PR so much and then I come here and it's just a lot of shit throwing at the show.

Not all PR seasons are the same, and longtime viewers since season 1 know the "formula" is far more variable than just throwing up our hands and saying "oh, that's the way it is and always has been."*  Some PR seasons the showrunners have played up the villains much more than others (or, more specifically, given the bitchy characters so much of the talking head time) to a ridiculous point where it damaged the watchability of the show.  Other seasons have concentrated more on the talent of the designers, and whoever the chosen villain of the season happened to be didn't get nearly the amount of screen time (the Lifetime years have been particularly bad about often over-playing the catty backbiting versus the creativity).  This is why I was happy with episode 1 of the show this season, but not so happy when episode 2 started to fall back on immediately emphasizing someone bitchy.  I don't think there's anything wrong or disloyal to ask the producers to try and keep that under control this year.

* If anyone's in doubt of the fact that the "formula" can be and is changed, look no further than how the show's been lately trying to walk back the harder, more off-putting version of Tim Gunn that fans hated in some of PR's later seasons, or-- as viewers of PR:Junior know-- the fact that PR feels a lot more like the original show everybody loves if they de-emphasize the overload of bitchiness we've often seen on Lifetime, and re-emphasize the focus more on talent.

• Love 7

I would have put Mah-Jing's denim dress in the top 3, possibly instead of Erin, though I do understand how she made it there. Her outfit feels kind of Prada-ish to me. So, it would appeal to the editorial side of the judging.

As for the bottom group, I would have sent Brik home instead of Linda. Linda's outfit looked droopy and sad, but in the hands of a skilled craftsperson, it could have looked like something you'd find at Ann Taylor Loft - not great, but basic and commercial.  Brik's outfit was done with technical skill and still looked lousy, which means his ideas are bad and no one can help him with that.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

As for the bottom group, I would have sent Brik home instead of Linda. Linda's outfit looked droopy and sad, but in the hands of a skilled craftsperson, it could have looked like something you'd find at Ann Taylor Loft - not great, but basic and commercial.  Brik's outfit was done with technical skill and still looked lousy, which means his ideas are bad and no one can help him with that.

That makes sense. Someone might buy a decent version of Linda's outfit; Brik's outfit made absolutely no sense at all.

• Love 3