Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: A Big Surprise

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I know the reasoning behind their family communal clothes closet & it somewhat made sense when the Duggar kiddos were younger.  But I can't believe the older guy's clothing is still being kept there.  Couldn't they somehow fashion a clothes closet or dressers to keep in the boy's dorm?  It's bad enough they still have to sleep together, but having your clothes kept in a downstairs communal closet at their age is too much.  There was definitely no future planning when they designed the layout of the TTH. 

Forgot to add: Could someone explain Benessa not having a toaster?  I must have dozed off during that part. 

• Love 2

So much BSing. Ben & Jeremy are best friends? How'd this happen? Do they spend their evenings video chatting and texting each other? Does Ben snap pictures of all things Fundy and send them to his long distance friend? Is Jeremy like - Hey Ben did you see the meme with the sheep?

Why is TLC forcing Part-time Benny on everyone? Maybe because he has the most access to Acting-coach Jessa?

I hope Flame hits & runs before its too late. Or maybe he is just like the Duggars, only with a personality.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Does no one wonder (or question) how Jessa and Ben can afford to live in a house when she doesn't work, and he only works part time?  Their friends from St. Louis (Flame and Mrs. Flame) just took it in stride when Jessa was talking about how Ben has finals, and works part time, so he can still spend time with his family.

I think the producers of reality TV hope we won't think about how much they're paid per episode. 

7 hours ago, truthtalk2014 said:

If Jana grew this garden, I would believe in Santa coming to my house on the 24th.  This is a TLC FU internet moment.  Jana is too busy cooking and cleaning to tend a garden like that. 

I'm not sure I believe it's a FU internet moment, but it may be. Let's be honest -- Jana is not putting in 16 hours a day cooking and cleaning. They do the bare minimum and probably also have cleaning help provided by TLC when filming. She has time, if she actually has the inclination.

5 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

"Send me a picture and I'll send you a message about it..."  

I would PAY to read that text from Jeremy's mom.  I bet it was golden.   She had to hang up just to wrap her mind around her son's idiocy because she couldn't fake it for the speaker/camera.

I actually cackled with glee at that line because it was so clear that she wanted to be able to express her true opinion without cameras. I have to imagine the text went something along the lines of, it's a beautiful ring, but this seems to be moving very quickly! I don't think they hate Jinger at all, but I have to hope that they're a little weirded out about the Duggars' oddities. The Vuolos are fundie, yes, but not Gothard style crazy.

• Love 8

That was the most painful, boring, ear bleeding rendition of power in the blood I've ever heard.  Flame must be nearing sainthood to have kept his polite smile on for that whole trip.  I love how they separated the tasks by sex - menfolk go drive heavy machinery while the womenfolk take a polite tour of the garden.  At least Joy gets to do some non-girly things from time to time.

Jessa; just buy a toaster.  Turning on the oven for two pieces of bread?  It's one of the cheapest appliances out there even if you do get crazy and "buy new".

Hoping marriage and the move out of state make a change in Jinger - we had Jer. in actual shorts at the playland place (while JB and the boys once ran a short marathon in jeans so their legs wouldn't defraud).  Then in the shot when Jinger and Jessa were leaving the house you could see when they opened the door that her leopard skirt was actually sheer with a shorter piece underneath - for a Duggar girl that's downright daring.  

Can't decide if Jeremy's Mom is cool on the marriage itself or just wants her boy to man up.  Her reaction on the phone could have been wanting to say don't do this but unable to on speaker - but I was thinking she also sounded like she wanted to just say WTF do you want me to tell you; you're a grown man and you don't need to play mommie-may-I to buy an engagement ring.  If he had said he thought the ring was beautiful but just wanted a women's opinion it wouldn't be so bad but I swear the way he was talking; all hesitant, starting and stopping his sentences he wanted to ask her if he should buy the ring and get engaged but he didn't want to come right out and say it.

• Love 9

Does no one wonder (or question) how Jessa and Ben can afford to live in a house when she doesn't work, and he only works part time?  Their friends from St. Louis (Flame and Mrs. Flame) just took it in stride when Jessa was talking about how Ben has finals, and works part time, so he can still spend time with his family.

Ben & Jessa do not have a house note or pay rent because the house they're living in is owned by JimBob.  It's Josh & Anna's old house.  I believe it was Grandma/Grandpa Dugger's before it was Josh & Anna, but not sure.  But I am sure that it is indeed Josh and Anna's old house.  Speaking of Grandma Dugger - I haven't seen her in any of these shows.  Hope all is well.

Jinger's voice suddenly gets very high-pitched when she's around Jeremy.  I don't know what that's about.  Jeremy is growing on me.  He laughs easily and he refers to Jinger as "the woman" he wants to marry, not the girl.  He also clarified that they've know each other for over a year and that this isn't a sudden as it looks on TV.

I think calling his mom to ask her opinion on the ring was sweet and before he hung he told her he loved her.  Yep, the kid is certainly growing on me.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, truthtalk2014 said:

If Jana grew this garden, I would believe in Santa coming to my house on the 24th.  This is a TLC FU internet moment.  Jana is too busy cooking and cleaning to tend a garden like that. 

You're right ? I didn't think of that. Ugh!!

13 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

I would imagine filming a TV show based on your family's life is a full time job. It takes longer than it looks, setting up shots, lighting, rehearsal, doing take after take, filming missing scenes that they discovered they needed later, etc. Probably pays well too. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think KJB has one of those shirts in every color, and they look brand spanking new. He needed some new threads to cover his ever-expanding gut. 

I thought they were a Columbia brand fishing shirt, if they were he must've found a going out of business sale....those things are expensive.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

Ben & Jessa do not have a house note or pay rent because the house they're living in is owned by JimBob. 

I think that was the point. They try to act as if they're adults, earning and buying things on their own. The clear implication of the show is that this is the case. But it's not. They're little little kiddies living on daddy's dime, with zero achievements or experience of any kind to justify their high-horse behavior and pronouncements of what the world is all about. And no real plans or preparation in the works to live like adults in the future, except for poor Bin's clearly futile attempt to train as a pastor. Nobody's going to hire Bin to preach sermons, but this seems to be the Ben and Jessa life plan -- insofar as they have one that goes beyond being on tv (though they're "not a tv family," to quote Jess) and living on JB's money. The point, I think, was that if this were reality, somebody would point all that out.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I totally agree that Jessa and Ben are totally living on her fAther's dime.  However, if a guest on the show pointed this out to them, no amount of distaste I have for the Duggars would ever convince me that wasn't the rudest guest in the world.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I totally agree that Jessa and Ben are totally living on her fAther's dime.  However, if a guest on the show pointed this out to them, no amount of distaste I have for the Duggars would ever convince me that wasn't the rudest guest in the world.

I don't think they're living on Boob's dime.  I think they're getting a very good paycheck from TLC with THEIR name on it, not Boob's.  

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I don't think they're living on Boob's dime.  I think they're getting a very good paycheck from TLC with THEIR name on it, not Boob's.  

IMO though the show along with the house and cars is something they have thanks to Jessa's dad.  If it hadn't started with Dad, Jessa and the kids never would have gotten a show.

• Love 2
Just now, flyingdi said:

IMO though the show along with the house and cars is something they have thanks to Jessa's dad.  If it hadn't started with Dad, Jessa and the kids never would have gotten a show.

You're right.  I just think that when Counting On started, Jessa and Ben started receiving a separate paycheck from TLC.  At least I hope that's what happened.  I wonder if Boob charges them rent?  My family had a rental that I moved into when I got married, and they charged me monthly rent.

• Love 1

Flame somewhat saved a boring ass episode.

And seriously how boring is your life when a surprise visit from the boyfriend you literally saw two days ago spurred such a reaction??? The double take was cute though

Seriously I could tolerate this show if Boob and MEchelle where nowhere to be found. Jboob gives me the creeps. Vom. 

jessa totally looked pregnant in that episode to me, would she have been at that point?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ben throw this kids camp. However if I was a parent I would not let my kids be in any way associated with the Duggars- I wonder if he included that in the pitch at all. He would be better off using the old pro's names to get the kids in. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Ben & Jessa do not have a house note or pay rent because the house they're living in is owned by JimBob.  It's Josh & Anna's old house.  I believe it was Grandma/Grandpa Dugger's before it was Josh & Anna, but not sure.  But I am sure that it is indeed Josh and Anna's old house.  Speaking of Grandma Dugger - I haven't seen her in any of these shows.  Hope all is well.

Jinger's voice suddenly gets very high-pitched when she's around Jeremy.  I don't know what that's about.  Jeremy is growing on me.  He laughs easily and he refers to Jinger as "the woman" he wants to marry, not the girl.  He also clarified that they've know each other for over a year and that this isn't a sudden as it looks on TV.

I think calling his mom to ask her opinion on the ring was sweet and before he hung he told her he loved her.  Yep, the kid is certainly growing on me.

I thought I saw Grandma D. in one of the last few Counting On episodes.  Now I can't recall which one. Oh, wait...I think  it was the last one. She was at the graduation party.

6 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I actually cackled with glee at that line because it was so clear that she wanted to be able to express her true opinion without cameras. I have to imagine the text went something along the lines of, it's a beautiful ring, but this seems to be moving very quickly! I don't think they hate Jinger at all, but I have to hope that they're a little weirded out about the Duggars' oddities. The Vuolos are fundie, yes, but not Gothard style crazy.

I disagree. I think he was given parental go-ahead after the Laredo visit. Like...OK, we've met the parents. We know you want to marry her. Get the ring. I think she was just wondering the price. Mom and dad probably intend to help if TLC isn't enough. Jeremy and Jinger both want marriage and sex...now.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I know the reasoning behind their family communal clothes closet & it somewhat made sense when the Duggar kiddos were younger.  But I can't believe the older guy's clothing is still being kept there.  Couldn't they somehow fashion a clothes closet or dressers to keep in the boy's dorm?  It's bad enough they still have to sleep together, but having your clothes kept in a downstairs communal closet at their age is too much.  There was definitely no future planning when they designed the layout of the TTH. 

Forgot to add: Could someone explain Benessa not having a toaster?  I must have dozed off during that part. 

Benessa has no room on her cluttered counters for a toaster.  Instead, they are cluttered up with framed photos, nick-nacks and other useless, food-splatted trivia.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

Haven't seen the episode, but if the appearance of Jana's garden is any indication, the internet community does influence them. Call it FU internet, but in some cases it might just be learning.  

What I can't understand is why the Duggars haven't had a garden for the past 20 years or so.  That's common sense for a family that large.  It's not terribly difficult to grow vegetables, and even if Michelle or JB couldn't be bothered to pull weeds or pick beans and tomatoes, they had a whole passel of kids to do that.  Plus, it would've been educational and given the kids a sense of pride.

Ah........I think I just hit on the answers as to why JB & Michelle never had a garden.  My bad.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

Yeah, right now. But I doubt they're paying squat for the house they're living in -- and it's Boob's -- so that's his dime. And while Bin claims to be "working" and getting some sort of paycheck, that comes from Boob. Might make sense for somebody who's planning to churn out kids by the dozen -- as Bin says he'll do -- to try to get a job from somebody other than his father-in-law. Because getting a job from your father-in-law doesn't prove that you can get a job from anybody else. Or give you much of a resume. And the father of many will need one.

Plus, while they're getting a good paycheck right now, I think the jury's way way out on how long such checks will be arriving. Yet they don't seem to be making any realistic plans for that inevitable day -- eating out and drinking Starbucks all the time have a pretty negative effect on your bank account, for one thing. I don't see any adult planning going on. There's Bin's ridiculous ministry dream -- but I don't see anything even faintly realistic about that. He can barely talk, and he clearly can't think, so who's going to hire him to minister?  And since they have no really concrete money plans for the future, they must be figure that the the Boob safety net will be there when -- and it is when, not if -- the TLC paycheck dries up. To me, that's relying on Boob -- just not for today, for tomorrow.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, right now. But I doubt they're paying squat for the house they're living in -- and it's Boob's -- so that's his dime. And while Bin claims to be "working" and getting some sort of paycheck, that comes from Boob. Might make sense for somebody who's planning to churn out kids by the dozen -- as Bin says he'll do -- to try to get a job from somebody other than his father-in-law. Because getting a job from your father-in-law doesn't prove that you can get a job from anybody else. Or give you much of a resume. And the father of many will need one.

Plus, while they're getting a good paycheck right now, I think the jury's way way out on how long such checks will be arriving. Yet they don't seem to be making any realistic plans for that inevitable day -- eating out and drinking Starbucks all the time have a pretty negative effect on your bank account, for one thing. I don't see any adult planning going on. There's Bin's ridiculous ministry dream -- but I don't see anything even faintly realistic about that. He can barely talk, and he clearly can't think, so who's going to hire him to minister?  And since they have no really concrete money plans for the future, they must be figure that the the Boob safety net will be there when -- and it is when, not if -- the TLC paycheck dries up. To me, that's relying on Boob -- just not for today, for tomorrow.

Word. I get Bin. I get Bin 100% because I used to be married to a Bin. My Bin was a musician, not a preacher, and when he was 20-21, he felt entitled to hoards and hoards of cash simply by virtue of the fact that he was a talented guitar player and lots of local girls wanted to do him. I suspect Bin, much like my ex husband, has heard quite a bit about how great he is at preaching and, because his existence is so insular and he has very little context, he isn't interpreting it as friends and relatives being supportive of his dream--he's interpreting it as "oh great! Well I guess I'm all set! Cash should start showing up any minute!" Bin, like my ex husband, has no concept of the business/managerial aspects that go into building a career...and no interest. I also suspect that Bin, like my ex husband, will reach a point when reality can no longer be ignored, except Bin doesn't have a college-educated wife who can support them both. Since there are so many similarities, it wouldn't be completely crazy to speculate that, when reality does slap his backwards hat off, Jessa will be the easiest and most convenient scapegoat. Usually the way it goes.

• Love 15

IMO the Duggar Clan are a bit on the self-righteous bandwagon.  When talking about rap and their obvious disdain for it, they actually could have put a positive spin on it.  I'm a Christian and I deplore rap music, however, if using it draws inner city kids to listen and repeat, then maybe understanding will come which will lead them to Christ.  

They could have said, "Even though it's not my kind of music, if it's used to edify Christ and draw people to Him who wouldn't normally come, then I'm all for it."  But that's not what they said.  All of the young Duggar men put a negative spin on it because they made it all about them.

• Love 19

The rap music reminds of the movie "Sister Act".  When the choir changed direction, the neighborhood people started coming to the church.  If the Christian rap music draws more people to the flock then it's a good thing.  

The Duggars believe their way is only way.  Expecting everyone else to conform to their way and their thinking will only lead to frustration and unhappiness.  Questioning, growing and changing are part of the natural life cycle.  Cutting that out of your life equals a very empty life to me.  

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I thought Josiah was the least demeaning towards the rap music by saying he preferred instrumentals. Jason is a knockoff of Smuggar, snide and condescending. 

Jesus would look at home at Woodstock, not so much at the symphony. Just sayin'.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Well, they wouldn't have to rudely point it out.  I would have just appreciated some raised eyebrows from Mrs. Flame when Jessa was explaining how Ben only works part time, she doesn't work, and they have $$ to buy them nice gifts.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

You're right.  I just think that when Counting On started, Jessa and Ben started receiving a separate paycheck from TLC.  At least I hope that's what happened.  I wonder if Boob charges them rent?  My family had a rental that I moved into when I got married, and they charged me monthly rent.

I think before someone has said that they do pay rent, although it likely is a very small amount. 

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

What I can't understand is why the Duggars haven't had a garden for the past 20 years or so.  That's common sense for a family that large.  It's not terribly difficult to grow vegetables, and even if Michelle or JB couldn't be bothered to pull weeds or pick beans and tomatoes, they had a whole passel of kids to do that.  Plus, it would've been educational and given the kids a sense of pride.

Ah........I think I just hit on the answers as to why JB & Michelle never had a garden.  My bad.

ehhhhh my not so green thumb begs to differ lol 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Jessa; just buy a toaster.  Turning on the oven for two pieces of bread?  It's one of the cheapest appliances out there even if you do get crazy and "buy new".

She didn't have to buy a thing. I'm sure a truck showed up at their house this afternoon with a brand-new toaster from a small appliance manufacturer.

It must be the only thing they didn't register for -- their registry priced out in excess of $30K, if I remember correctly. One has to wonder who bought Bin the kayak he wanted.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I thought they were a Columbia brand fishing shirt, if they were he must've found a going out of business sale....those things are expensive.

If they wore it on the show with the logo displayed, it was free to them. Product placement.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Did my eyes deceive me or was Jessa's minivan a cluttered hoarders mess when she and Jinger were driving to the taco place?!?

What was up with that? It gave me flashbacks to Teen Mom 2 when Leah's SUV was so stuffed full of crap her toddler was getting hit with falling objects. If I knew my car was going to be on camera, I'd take five minutes and clean it up. It wouldn't surprise me if Jessa's house is filthy and disgusting minus the days TLC pays a housekeeper to come in prior to filming. Ditto for the TTH.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Can't decide if Jeremy's Mom is cool on the marriage itself or just wants her boy to man up.  Her reaction on the phone could have been wanting to say don't do this but unable to on speaker - but I was thinking she also sounded like she wanted to just say WTF do you want me to tell you; you're a grown man and you don't need to play mommie-may-I to buy an engagement ring.  If he had said he thought the ring was beautiful but just wanted a women's opinion it wouldn't be so bad but I swear the way he was talking; all hesitant, starting and stopping his sentences he wanted to ask her if he should buy the ring and get engaged but he didn't want to come right out and say it.

I figured he was running it by her because she was supplying the credit card to pay for it. 

• Love 4

Even with the few advertisers they still have (and most of them are bundled network deals; they have no control when their ads air), the ratings are just good enough to keep them around. 

Ratings for this week should be in tomorrow. ZapToIt is usually a day behind (that's where I find them). However, @Absolom may have a better, quicker source. :)

I knew you'd come through for us! :D

So, that's down about 100k from last week. They're pimping next week like it's the actual proposal, but I bet they do a cliffhanger. At any rate, given the teaser, I think the numbers will go WAY up, like 1.5MM up. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Aaaaand the ratings are in:  1.071 M viewers and a .32 rating.

Sorry you all had to wait for my hair to be done today.  :) 

At least a million viewers and more importantly the .32 share of the 18-49 demographic is definitely considered more than satisfactory for TLC. 

Jeremy shopping for rings after only 2 weeks is bizarre and unsettling. And can Jinger really be so stupid as to believe a camera crew would film her and Jessa having lunch for no particular reason?

Who was the Pebbles Flintstone baby Michelle was holding?

And for Christ's sake, get these kids to a dermatologist. 

• Love 5

In the first season, or maybe the pre-first season specials of Counting On Jinger was sitting, maybe on a porch, doing a talking head. They asked her if she would go across the world to date/court/whatever a guy. I thought she squirmily mumbled something like - Well I don't need to. Does anyone else remember? If so when was it filmed?

Or am I making that up?

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

At least a million viewers and more importantly the .32 share of the 18-49 demographic is definitely considered more than satisfactory for TLC. 

Jeremy shopping for rings after only 2 weeks is bizarre and unsettling. And can Jinger really be so stupid as to believe a camera crew would film her and Jessa having lunch for no particular reason?

Who was the Pebbles Flintstone baby Michelle was holding?

And for Christ's sake, get these kids to a dermatologist. 

Pebbles = Meredith

7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In the first season, or maybe the pre-first season specials of Counting On Jinger was sitting, maybe on a porch, doing a talking head. They asked her if she would go across the world to date/court/whatever a guy. I thought she squirmily mumbled something like - Well I don't need to. Does anyone else remember? If so when was it filmed?

Or am I making that up?

They asked her if there were any courtships on the horizon. Her reaction was squirrley, and she said something like, "Stay tuned." (edited because I remembered the exact quote). At the time, I just figured it was a show tease. It was filmed around last January, definitely after Boob had granted Baaaaabe permission to formally "get to know" her, but before they entered the courtship Season of Life (which really does seem to have been just a month). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

.32 share

Being a little picky, but that was rating not share.  In Nielsen speak they are not the same thing.

Edit - the quote is from kokapetl not sew sumi. 

Edited by Absolom
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Being a little picky, but that was rating not share.  In Nielsen speak they are not the same thing.

Thanks again Absolom. I know I'm a pain in the ass about this, but could you offer a comparison? Maybe like to a top rated TLC show and then maybe to a top rated network show? I promise I'll try and retain it this time.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Ben and Jessa don't have a toaster? Really?

Ben:  "I thought he was just coming to check out the cuts of different diamonds...."

Really,  Ben?  He was just there two days ago, and now he's back, just to check out the cuts of different diamonds? Couldn't he have done that in Texas? Are you really as dimwitted as you want us all to believe?

Dimwitted? No, just "vastly limited".

• Love 2

Viewer numbers that make TLC happy are 2.5 M and above.  4 M and they are ecstatic. 

1 M puts the Duggars in good company with the standard workhorses of The Little Couple and Roloffs in the normally top 10 of TLC shows of the past year or so.  TLC hasn't had a recent big hit so they're happy with lower and lower numbers.

Big four network shows get 2.5M to 20M viewers.  NCIS pulled 16 M (rounded) last night. 

• Love 5