Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Chapter 2

• Start Topic

Crazy ghost nurses and maybe a previously murdered little girl ghost and crazy hillbillies and maybe some weird pig-creature they worship. And it's only episode 2-whew!

I can't remember anyone's name just yet--anyone's start with "R"?

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 5

I am really enjoying this.  It seems a little more...restrained then usual.  I am a big fan of the shows brand of crazy but even I can get into  a more psychological brand of storytelling which o think this is looking to be.

Murder House was my...uhhh third favorite of the series (after Asylum and Hotel) so I am enjoying the haunted house of death with a even hauntyier forest 

Seriously though when something more evil then a couple of serial killers is haunting your house it may be time to find a new place to live. 

Murde is such a nice word.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I don't care how much money these people would lose on this house, I would have gotten the hell out of there after the first night! And after all that craziness with the hillbillies trapping Lee and Shelby in the basement, Lee brings her daughter into the house , not once but twice , and now she's gone. I don't believe she's dead though. The little ghost girl told her she'd be last. 

I'm enjoying this so far, I like the storytelling as well. If a character with the first letter R in their name joins the cast that person is doomed because that will probably complete the Murder word. 

• Love 8

Doesn't Lee have her own place? I thought she just came to keep Shelby company while the husband was out of town. She and the ex had been apart long enough to hammer out a custody agreement, so I doubt they are still sharing a place. Like, damn, she didn't sink her money into the place, LEAVE, WOMAN. Kidnap your child in a safer environment.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 23

It is weird the last episode thread someone mentioned if it was normal or realistic a house would be left vacant for an extended period of time.  I think maybe in rural places where the property taxes are low low and have less uptight city officials it is more likely. The irony is I know of a house that was vacant for years and in the manner mentioned in this episode where the owners moved out in the night and left all their personal belongings. It looked like the left in a hurry there was still remnants of food on a set table. 

I lived in a building with a lot of paranormal activity. Windows shattering (during one a shard flew out and stabbed me in the arm), doors opening on their own (this happened a lot even if I locked it) , elevators going with no one in it or to the wrong floor then getting stuck, strange noises like knocking or lights flickering. And while I was there several tenants died of unnatural causes (one neighbor murdered another, some suicides I was home during these events). 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 5

I think I've had my fill of pig heads thank you very much.

I don't know, I wasn't feeling this one. It was kind of meh. Maybe I'm just still used to the craziness, dialed-up to 10, of past AHS eps.

I had to turn away when the crazy nurse was going to shoot the little old lady(who looked a little like Cloris Leachman) but then crap, they show it again during a flashbacky  scene and I didn't react fast enough to turn away. Damn you editors, sneaking that shit in there.  (I hate guns/shootings)

I can't remember, do they usually show the previously on in the beginning of this show? 

Maybe they did it tonight because they didn't show the preview after the first ep.

I'd pretty much leave skid marks getting the hell out of that house!

• Love 5

I think these people should leave and they are crazy for staying. I worry I may lose my sympathy for them since they are staying.

Wish Lily and Sarah could have switched roles this season.

I notice Adina Porter is listed as a guest star yet she has been in both episodes and Evan Peters is listed in the main credits and I don't know where he is lol.

It would be nice to see more of Denis and less of Cuba for a few episodes. I assume every other character will at least get some chance to shine.

That was enough of Lady Gaga and she looked like Enchantress from Suicide Squad.

• Love 1

I love how their logic was that since the found the letters on the wall, the story on the tape *must* be true. No, all that meant was that there were actually letters on the wall. Dude still could have made up the story. (I know we found out he was telling the truth, but it just cracked me up when Cuba said, "See, it is true! There are the letters!"

I just released a book about a local haunted house. Empty for 21 years. A family bought it a few years ago and restored it. So yes, in many rural places they'll just let the houses sit and rot until they fall over. I've made my career out of finding them and writing about them. 

• Love 12

I am SO glad they had the scene with the bank guy! Because at least they threw a sop towards the "getting our money back! We'll sue!" bit without belaboring it.  And it actually works pretty well. These people are in their forties, not their twenties. They don't have years of earning power left to set up for any kind of retirement, etc., and they're in a depressed economic region without means to start over, or hire a lawyer, or anything. They really are stuck. 

Lee, woman; this was not the best decision you ever made. Everything about it did nothing but add to your ex'es claim and diminish your own! I'm leaning towards a Shirley Jackson-esque "house as a place of contained ill-will" type situation where the property attracts people in extreme and vulnerable emotional states and then magnifies those feelings, so that the persons do/say/act out in ways that they may know are crazy but they can't help it, or their pathologies really ramp up to eleven, like the nurses's did. So maybe the "power" the house has is that the longer you're in it, the more you're going to do what it wants even if you know rationally it's a terrible idea.

I really really liked the effect of seeing the little girl, Priscilla, through the window. How she looked like she was in an old-time picture, blurred and indistinct, and how the whole area seemed dim and dirty, even though other shots show the window to be perfectly clear and clean. Not being able to see her face made her ten times scarier then everything else onscreen combined. 

mamadrama, title of book, please! *opens window to Amazon, wags tail eagerly*

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 7

Question: It seemed like the Polks have lived in the area for a while. It's not unreasonable to think that they already know about the freaky Roanoke ghosts and the haunted nature of the house. So why did they want to buy it?

3 hours ago, morgankobi said:

Crazy ghost nurses and maybe a previously murdered little girl ghost and crazy hillbillies and maybe some weird pig-creature they worship. And it's only episode 2-whew!

I can't remember anyone's name just yet--anyone's start with "R"?

It seemed more like they shove pig's heads on people as a form of degradation and punishment, rather than deification. "For he is but a cloven beast, rotting in the mire and muck, as unclean as his festering soul." The pig being a biblically unclean animal.

As for names, so far we have: Two M's (Matt, Mason), one E (Professor Elias, AKA Crazy Bearded Amateur Filmmaker), but no R's that I can remember, and no other "murder" letter names. The other characters are Shelby, Lee, and Lee's daughter, Flora. The patriarch of the Polk family is I think Ishmael. If we ever got Apathetic Sheriff's name, I've forgotten it. The invisible ghost girl who talks to Flora is Priscilla, and the crazy homicidal nurses were Miranda and Bridget.

1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

I think these people should leave and they are crazy for staying. I worry I may lose my sympathy for them since they are staying.

Yeah this is a bit of a worry for me too. I know we're supposed to think their savings are tied up in the house, but... couldn't they live somewhere else until they can find a buyer? A motel, a camper, anything? At first, when they thought the spiteful hillbillies were responsible for all of it, staying was a matter of defiance. Well, now they've seen some shit that can't be explained away by bad neighbors. I wouldn't be within fifty miles of that house.

• Love 8

If you have seen "The Haunted,"  "A Haunting," "Paranormal Survivor" or "My Ghost Story" the pattern is always the people stay in a severely haunted house because they spent their last dollar on the house and just cannot move.  They see the paranormal stuff and then convince themselves that it is just in their heads or they try to stick it out like they can outstay the ghosts.

My problem with Shelby was when she happened upon the group in the woods, I would have eased back and went back to my car and LEFT THE AREA!!  If my husband wanted to stay in the house then God bless him until he comes to his senses.

Lee brought the girl back while the bottle was telling her that was a good idea.  Something told me they were going to lose the little girl once she got back, especially when Shelby call Flora's father to come get her.  I guess we will see more of him in the coming episodes

This show is even better than the predictable Hotel and Coven.  I also like the way they always incorperate some real historical event in all of their seasons.  This one is very true to the the reinactment style of the "real" ghost stories on the afore mentioned haunting shows.

This is going to be super scary fun times for sure!!

• Love 10

Anyone remember the Geico horror commercial?  People in horror movies/shows just make bad decision.  It's what they do.  Don't buy that murder house!  Don't go into that dark dark basement!  Don't put your hand in there!   

Its actually part of the fun of horror stories.  I liked the murder sisters story.  I thought it fit well and the desperation of the main family calling the cops who kept finding nothing.  The forest intrigues me and I am wondering how it fits with the house and the hillbillies:

• Love 10

Was a bit bored by this one. I like the format but you can see Flora going missing a mile off though.

This week, it was Lee's turn to be reckless by bringing her daughter to that house and then the child going missing at the end of it.

Kathy Bates is scary as a villain and Gaga having a smaller role this season is fine by me but they need more than three minutes of screen time as does Wes Bentley. And character names to boot.

Denis O'Hare at least popped in to fill in some gaps about those murdering nurses though, which was nice of him to do. I liked that Matt saw them instead of Shelby too, 6/10

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Valny said:

I think I've had my fill of pig heads thank you very much.

I don't know, I wasn't feeling this one. It was kind of meh. Maybe I'm just still used to the craziness, dialed-up to 10, of past AHS eps.

I had to turn away when the crazy nurse was going to shoot the little old lady(who looked a little like Cloris Leachman) but then crap, they show it again during a flashbacky  scene and I didn't react fast enough to turn away. Damn you editors, sneaking that shit in there.  (I hate guns/shootings)

I can't remember, do they usually show the previously on in the beginning of this show? 

Maybe they did it tonight because they didn't show the preview after the first ep.

I'd pretty much leave skid marks getting the hell out of that house!

This is the first time I've ever been bored as hell with AHS. 

The stuff with the nurses and their activities was gruesome and the most disturbing part of the episode, but I'm not feeling the tension in this season that I've felt in other seasons. 

These people running around the woods with their flashlights just feels so ridiculous, I feel like nobody would behave in the way these three people are behaving. The daughter's behavior seems strange too. 

Kathy Bates has been a favorite addition to this franchise, but so far her character isn't terribly intriguing. 

The only thing I really like about this season so far is the house and the location. Other than that the suspense factor continues to suck. 

I like psychological horror, so that isn't my problem with this. My problem is that I already feel like I know what's going to happen and that there aren't any real stakes involved. There's no doubt in my mind for example that the daughter will be found and that she'll be safe. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 6

Avaleigh, I understand your reservations about this season (I'm enjoying it so far, but to each his or her own!), but I actually have a shred of doubt that Flora will end up safe and sound. 

Why? Because it's horror and all bets are off.

In "Murder House" all the Harmons died and Constance got to raise the Anti-Christ.

"Asylum" actually managed a more justice-based ending, unless you were Lana Winters's lover or one of Kit's.

In "Coven,"  Misty Day, one of the most likable apprentice witches, ended up trapped in hell.

In "Freak Show", almost all the freaks died, many of them horribly, and they were, in fact, mainly very sympathetic. If you hated Elsa, you were probably peeved that she ended up with a heavenly star spot rather than being dragged away to hell by Edward Mordrake.

"Hotel" ended with Mr. March triumphant

So I think the odds of anyone making it to the end in good shape are much smaller than, say, on "Bull".

I did find this episode creepy as hell and I'm definitely in. I hope that there will be as much time spent on Roanoke as there is on the Murder Sisters.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I like psychological horror, so that isn't my problem with this. My problem is that I already feel like I know what's going to happen and that there aren't any real stakes involved. There's no doubt in my mind for example that the daughter will be found and that she'll be safe. 

I agree that we are missing that "will they die?" tension because of the format, with the "real-life" Matt and Shelby narrating their own re-enactment. I almost wish they'd done away with that whole aspect of it because, while it's interesting, it overtly indicates that everything turns out okay for the main characters.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Wryly said:

Question: It seemed like the Polks have lived in the area for a while. It's not unreasonable to think that they already know about the freaky Roanoke ghosts and the haunted nature of the house. So why did they want to buy it?

I've been wondering the same thing.  I can't wait until they bring those characters back and we find out more about them.  I'm thinking they'll end up being more benevolent characters, and that they were trying to buy the house in order to destroy it or something.

I'm really enjoying this season so far.  I found myself cowering (for the first time EVER during any season of AHS), when Shelby and Matt were watching the video and you just knew the "BOO" moment was coming.  This is the type of story I find legitimately scary. 

The new opening sequence is my main gripe.  If AHS has done anything amazing in the past seasons, it was the creepy openings.  They need to bring it back...Roanoke horror themed.  I'm not liking the mockumentary openings at all.

Edited by AngryCarrot86
  • Love 8

So I like the lack off gore and rape. I like an actual story and suspense. I like that so far it isn't a ton of mishmashed stories that go nowhere.

i don't like that I've seen this all before - haunted house in the woods, scary hillbillies (who I speculate will somehow turn out to be good guys warding them from the house), Blair witch filming and those tree dolls etc. 

I've even seen the whole old timey pig thing before on a reenactment show - something about Amish haunting a - an Amish boy was possessed by th demons in the bible who enter the pigs and dive off a cliff, so he wore a pig head and murdered livestock.

After two seasons of trying way too hard, it's like Ryan Murphy is barely trying. (Freak Show - just blood and guts after twisty's arc ended, and Hotel - just drugs, gore, rape, gore, nonsense. I thought Mr March was just camp and gore). 

Is ryan bored and over this or stretched too thin? I miss the scary introduced, too. That was the scariest part of coven and freak show.

• Love 5

Her character's name wasn't revealed, but she was situated next to Kathy Bates in one scene, she looks like Roanoke's version of Pepper.

I don't know, man. I just don't find pigs scary or creepy. I think pigs are kind of nice.

And delicious with a side of apple sauce!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 6

Apparently it's either too much or too little.  Personally I am rather enjoying this.  We don't know who the family is "talking" to.   I think the story is going along just fine right now.  I hated Freak Show but adored Hotel so I had hopes that Ryan Murphy was finding his groove again and so far he is telling a great story.  I don't need to be terrified every second or have gotcha moments.  This is working for me.

• Love 1
  1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I agree that we are missing that "will they die?" tension because of the format, with the "real-life" Matt and Shelby narrating their own re-enactment. I almost wish they'd done away with that whole aspect of it because, while it's interesting, it overtly indicates that everything turns out okay for the main characters.

Not necessarily. The story might go on long after the "interviews" are over.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

It is weird the last episode thread someone mentioned if it was normal or realistic a house would be left vacant for an extended period of time.  I think maybe in rural places where the property taxes are low low and have less uptight city officials it is more likely. The irony is I know of a house that was vacant for years and in the manner mentioned in this episode where the owners moved out in the night and left all their personal belongings. It looked like the left in a hurry there was still remnants of food on a set table.

I lived in a building with a lot of paranormal activity. Windows shattering (during one a shard flew out and stabbed me in the arm), doors opening on their own (this happened a lot even if I locked it) , elevators going with no one in it or to the wrong floor then getting stuck, strange noises like knocking or lights flickering. And while I was there several tenants died of unnatural causes (one neighbor murdered another, some suicides I was home during these events).

Say what?!?  Glad you got out of there unscathed.  I lived in a house in college that some activity of the paranormal variety as well.  Nothing sinister--things there one minute, gone the next and then back again, mysterious running up and down the steps, etc.  None of us were ever scared about what we saw or heard.

Back to the show--I'm kind of digging it.  I actually find this scarier than Hotel (which was nice visually, but not scary IMO.)  I literally jumped when whatever it was jumped out at Denis O'Hare's character.  I have a feeling (not spoiled or anything) that the interviews are going to stop at some point and maybe the real Shelby and Matt will somehow be drawn back to the house or something. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, beaker73 said:

Say what?!?  Glad you got out of there unscathed.  I lived in a house in college that some activity of the paranormal variety as well.  Nothing sinister--things there one minute, gone the next and then back again, mysterious running up and down the steps, etc.  None of us were ever scared about what we saw or heard.

Back to the show--I'm kind of digging it.  I actually find this scarier than Hotel (which was nice visually, but not scary IMO.)  I literally jumped when whatever it was jumped out at Denis O'Hare's character.  I have a feeling (not spoiled or anything) that the interviews are going to stop at some point and maybe the real Shelby and Matt will somehow be drawn back to the house or something. 

I agree. I like it.

When they were talking to the rep from the bank trying to get him to take the house back, I was like " ... Is that a thing?" I'd think the recourse would be to sell (likely at a loss), not to return the house.

9 hours ago, Snookums said:

I am SO glad they had the scene with the bank guy! Because at least they threw a sop towards the "getting our money back! We'll sue!" bit without belaboring it.  And it actually works pretty well. These people are in their forties, not their twenties. They don't have years of earning power left to set up for any kind of retirement, etc., and they're in a depressed economic region without means to start over, or hire a lawyer, or anything. They really are stuck. 

I keep wondering why Lee would agree to move to that town in the first place. Leave LA, I get. But she's a yoga teacher. The fitness market is biggest in major cities; the yoga market is even smaller. Yoga is expensive. No one in that town is doing yoga. There's no studio. There's no market for what she does there, no job opportunities. She's just sitting around all day.

My money is on Flora being either dead or ... changed, as a result of the house. AHS doesn't shy away from stuff like that. 

• Love 3

I loved American Horror Story: Hotel. I remember, like, one rape scene. In episode one. It was really disturbing, don't get me wrong, but I can't recall any others. That demon with a screw strap-on was horrifying, but a pretty chilling metaphor for what a monstrosity addiction becomes.

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Anyone remember the Geico horror commercial?  People in horror movies/shows just make bad decision.  It's what they do.  Don't buy that murder house!  Don't go into that dark dark basement!  Don't put your hand in there!   

Its actually part of the fun of horror stories.  I liked the murder sisters story.  I thought it fit well and the desperation of the main family calling the cops who kept finding nothing.  The forest intrigues me and I am wondering how it fits with the house and the hillbillies:

Eh... I don't agree. While I will allow a degree of irrational behavior in high stress situations, if they give me NOTHING but characters who make stupid decisions, it means I'm not rooting for anyone, and ultimately I don't care what happens in the story. (I did however love those Geico commercials.)

In American Horror Story, I expect trouble to come from unexpected places, for stereotypes and cliches to get turned on their head, and for not even bad guys to be safe. So far this season, things have progressed along pretty cliche horror movie lines. I'm kind of still waiting for that unique AHS horror to present itself.

• Love 1

I don't know, man. I just don't find pigs scary or creepy. I think pigs are kind of nice.

And delicious with a side of apple sauce!

Heh.   When they found the pig parts burning in the woods, the first thing I thought was, mmmm...bacon!

This season has me legit scared shitless while I'm watching. Yay!  

I'm the opposite, so far I don't think it's scary at all.  I'd have to watch again but I think Murder House was scarier/creepier.   But everyone has different levels of what is frightening to them.  Mine is high on the Scare O' Meter.

• Love 1

(paraphrase) "Flora invented this game when she was three. You see, she plays hide 'n' seek without anyone else knowing she's playing. We have to realize she is missing because she's playing the game."

Yeah....'cause THAT's not extremely dangerous or twisted. Such a cute game for a 3 year old!!! Bet they regret encouraging that behavior now.

Edited by mirrorrim
  • Love 7

During the scene in the house when they went upstairs and there were bloody pig tails pinned to the wall and waving back and forth, I actually thought it was bloddy baby arms poking through holes in the walls and swinging back and forth....I was thinking: WHAT?  Later my daughter told me they were pig tails.  For some reason I thought the baby arms were somehow related to the Horror House basement activities in Season 1. 

In any case, it is interesting so far I suppose.  Still waiting for some oomph.

Edited by MrsMoltisanti
"bloody" not "bloddy" typo correction
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, mirrorrim said:

(paraphrase) "Flora invented this game when she was three. You see, she plays hide 'n' seek without anyone else knowing she's playing. We have to realize she is missing because she's playing the game."

Yeah....'cause THAT's not extremely dangerous or twisted. Such a cute game for a 3 year old!!! Bet they regret encouraging that behavior now.

A little hard for me to believe that such a dry, practical, old school disciplined, no nonsense personality wouldn't have nipped those kinds of made up, potentially dangerous games long ago - probably across her three year old backside. 

• Love 1

Like a couple of fucking morons who have surely gotten overconfident in daylight, Matt and Shelby go outside to investigate the spot where the girl was standing and find a hatch. Looks like something you'd definitely want to board up and never enter, right? RIGHT?!

Agreed! That and the little horror hole under the stairs where they found Flora talking to "I like Flora, I'll kill you last" Priscilla! Both those spots scream Fill Me With Garlic And Crosses, Then Board Me Shut With More Crosses, Made Out Of Garlic.

Did anybody else have trouble with Denis O'Hare's character's timeline? He said he was making the tape on October 11, 1997, but that the sisters moved into the house in `98, and the authorities didn't check it out until '99. Was he there the whole time? What the hell was he doing?

• Love 7

Oh yes, Lee. Please bring your daughter back to Murder House South East Addition, while kidnapping her from her father, who seems to be the only person around with any common sense (my daughter is talking about how shes hanging with a ghost girl in Pilgrim clothes who promised to murder her? Yeah, we are SO out of here). Sounds like a wonderful plan, I see no flaws here!

This season has got a real season 1 Murder House vibe to it, with the haunted house and the multiple ghosts from different time periods, and lots of weird historical stuff. This episode wasn't quite as creepy as last episode, but I am still into this season. It has more of a creepy atmosphere than the last few seasons, with less pointless gore. Plus, I am just a sucker for ghost stories. Of course, you could say last season was kind of a ghost story too, but it was more like a...weird story. More ghosts this season please!

I admit, when I saw all the cut up pig, I was just like "how nice of the ghost pilgrims and/or hillbillies! BLTs for everyone"! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5