Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: SanFran, Here We Come!

• Start Topic

But we don't know the kids background. He could have some socialization issues.

My 24 yr old son asks intrusive questions occasionally, or bursts out w/inane comments or topics. I suspect he may have a mild form of Asberger's.

• Love 1

I thought that Jen wanting to get her wig off after the conference and before they took the kids out was a real life moment because even though I adore her, she is a bit vain. That wig must have really been bothering her.

• Love 1

This is off subject but the trip to San Francisco 10 days or so after chemo, even though the doc said it was ok. Having to tell fans in reference to pictures that they couldn't get too close because she was immune compromised. Ummmmm why go, is my question, you already know you are somewhat of a celebrity and should expect pic request handshakes and what not. I would also have to say as much as I am a fan of Jen she drives me just as crazy. She is very controlling and seems to want everything to go her way. Last thing she says essentially so much, in one episode she said it 17 times.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't even think those were "fan" pictures...  Wasn't it the "group shot" of the conference participants (or perhaps the keynote speakers; Jen was not the sole speaker, although they tried to spin it as such, but rather just the final one)?  D'oh; she should know to expect that if she attends every year.  Although I wouldn't wish cancer on my worse enemy, there IS such a psychological phenomenon as "secondary gain" from even the worst illness or injury, and Jen is loving the attention and adulation this is getting her, in my humble opinion.  I'm ready to start a drinking game every time I hear "chemotherapy."

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 1

I am reading other show posts and I have to give my thoughts on the episode from San Fran and I want you all to see it, so I am posting it here. Why in the heck did she go to San Fran first of all and 2nd, why did she choose to take the kids. Once again, in my opinion, it seems she wants to show that she can do any and everything even though she is little. Bill obviously knew the weight of caring for the kids was completely on him and of course because Jen wanted it, he was ok with it. I would not be shocked if the nanny was there also and just wasn't filmed. And the joke, just wasn't funny it wasn't about how it was delivered, it wasn't funny at all. I have so many issues with where the show has gone since it started. It was more about how they adjust to everyday life as little people now it's just proving to us that they aren't little anymore. Why is it called "The Little Couple", they need to rename it Jen&Bill. It just really irritates me, as you can tell at this point. I also think that they, as a couple, are extremely boring, so it's almost like they have to focus on the cuteness of the kids to keep their fan base.

• Love 4

now it's just proving to us that they aren't little anymore

I don't understand this comment.  Even if they change the title to the Jen and Bill show; it will still be about a couple of little people (or now a family of little people)

• Love 3

It's one thing to watch Amy Roloff do things "a little differently" because she's a little person, because Amy actually does things!  But to see Will and Zoey magically move from dining room chair to high chair to (presumably) bathtub or sink to bed, etc., with Jen implying that she doesn't really need any help is just disingenuous...  At best...  For some real "reality" TV showing little people parenting without the advantages of money, family, friends, stables full of behind-the-scenes personal aides or TLC crews, check out the Hennons sometime...

And that joke wasn't funny!

• Love 2

I'd like to think that if Jen is able to graduate from Johns Hopkins med, finish her residency just after having hip replacement placements, save countless children's lives quite literally... She's probably capable of getting a child from a chair to a table... Whether shes begun to encourage independence and her aid or not, she's likely more than capable.

And they would like you to like to think that, too!  But since she couldn't even prevent Will from making his way to the parking garage not long after getting him, one must wonder, if one is honest with oneself...  There's intellectual achievement, and then there is actual physical strength and capability, and they are two different things.  Which reminds me...  How DID she complete all the necessary tasks required in medical school, such as reviving adults with CPR in a trauma bay during ER rotation?  But at least she can deliver "keynote speeches"...

Edited by cassaundroll
  • Love 1

I do think to be fair that we need to separate her intellectual accomplishments from what she can do physically.  

We have seen her struggle in many episodes when Will was smaller to get him in and out of the car or into a dining room chair.  I am remembering the one when Bill quipped in the background "oh he put that 2 pounds back on.."   Even in China when the photographer picked Will up for his photo remarked on how heavy Will was and that boy has had a lot of cake since then!!  LOL  

• Love 2

I look at this show like the first Cosby show. Some Black folks complained the show was atypical of the average Black family and the situations were not realistic. These things were true. What the show did do was make America more comfortable with Black people. I don't expect the Little Couple to be a documentary. The fact that many people have fallen in love with Bill and Jen and kids helps take away the fear of little people. One of this family's critics said the didn't think of the family as little any more. And that in y opinion is the point.

I also think some of the Jen hate is sexist but that's another post.

• Love 3

The problem with Bill, Jen, and TLC is that they lie. On the one hand they tell us that the reason they do the show is to educate us on the limitations that little people face. On the other hand they pretend they can do things that they can't. The two don't add up. The network and The Little Couple are dishonest.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. They, in fact, did show the difficulty Jen had with Will, for example. Had we not seen some of these things on the show, we wouldn't know about the difficulties. 

• Love 1

Just because Jen has a difficult time in a moment while in a parking garage isn't indicative of her capabilities, and her ability to be a competent and well respected physician doesn't mean she can leap tall buildings and lift 50#...but the speculation that she didn't or couldn't do the work required to get to where she has professionally is unfounded and ignorant. Just because someone can't do it at 5' and 180# doest mean it's impossible for her. And for lying... They claim to do the show in hopes of educating people about differences, setting an example to achieve despite what moronic, hateful people you will undoubtedly run into will say. Mission accomplished. A great example for anyone that's been told they can't, won't or shouldn't.

• Love 4

Just because Jen has a difficult time in a moment while in a parking garage isn't indicative of her capabilities, and her ability to be a competent and well respected physician doesn't mean she can leap tall buildings and lift 50#...but the speculation that she didn't or couldn't do the work required to get to where she has professionally is unfounded and ignorant. Just because someone can't do it at 5' and 180# doest mean it's impossible for her. And for lying... They claim to do the show in hopes of educating people about differences, setting an example to achieve despite what moronic, hateful people you will undoubtedly run into will say. Mission accomplished. A great example for anyone that's been told they can't, won't or shouldn't.

You make some good points, but it has been brought up that while the Kleins certainly have struggles, they are not representative of the average little person family, due to the fact that they have TV fame and a lot of money. I agree that the show has some educational aspects, or it did, but part of the educational part, at least in my understanding, was supposed to be on how little people manage day-to-day life in a "big person's" world. If they basically hire out for anything they need help with, and have the money to make any customizations/purchases they want or need to make their life easier, we are seeing more of how money can help a little family overcome obstacles, and less of how a regular little family might live and overcome obstacles. And if the "educational" show doesn't even show true, real day-to-day life, and how they truly live, the education part is limited.

• Love 4

While I understand what you're trying to say, I don't think they ever claimed to be the weed wacking, kill their own deer, lay concrete for their own pool type of people. Moreover, in most metro areas, most people don't do everything around their house. Right or wrong (in your opinion), they have only claimed to do their best to make a better life for themselves and those important to them. Achievement isn't defined by whether they carry their kids up a flight of stairs, it's whether their kids graduate college some day and become a productive member of society. And a side note, no offense to anyone, but I would suppose the books referenced above aren't exactly a bible of reality TV behind the scenes. I think Kate would sell books detailing the shapes of her bowel movements if she thought they would sell.

• Love 2

I understand your points, but I think what some of us are curious as far as the "reality" aspect of the show is how they truly manage everything, how much help they have, can one of them handle both kids in public without help, etc.. But certainly, regardless of whether they have 5 nannies we never see, or if Jen can't lift Will in and out of his chair, and so on, Will and Zoey are blessed to be part of the Klein family. 

• Love 2

The problem with Bill, Jen, and TLC is that they lie. On the one hand they tell us that the reason they do the show is to educate us on the limitations that little people face. On the other hand they pretend they can do things that they can't. The two don't add up. The network and The Little Couple are dishonest.

To the contrary, I've been moved by the things they show us -- very honestly -- that they have a hard time doing. In the beginning, we saw the practical things: household stuff. Having to attach pedal extenders to cars. Jen's early adaptability issues at work. Later, we saw Jen expressing some anxiety about not being able to lift Will, or really even hold him. (And the book also contains many instances of things they haven't been able to do, and how they felt as a result.)

I don't think there's any lying going on, but we have to understand that they've designed the show to be uplifting and to showcase the fact that little people can lead lives that are vibrant and full.

• Love 5