Type keyword(s) to search

She's Gotta Have It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have such a soft spot for Spike (because of his earlier flicks), and I like that he stayed, for the most part, faithful to the original (with the exception of Jamie's marriage). In this opener, they get people caught up to who and what Nola Darling was and will be about.

I also liked the final bit where, angered by being street harassed and grabbed by that dude, Nola set out on her version of Black Lives Matter campaign. Putting the spotlight on how the phrase *should* include Black women (though public views focus so heavily on Black men) was an excellent touch. It also reminded me of Tatyana Fazlalizadeh's "Stop Telling Women to Smile" art campaign. Additionally, it makes me wonder if Spike was trying to correct retroactively how Nola's assault went down in the movie?

Anyway, I liked this first episode. 

• Love 1

Great music, at least in the first episode. That "between the sheets" interlude was nicely done.

Like the guy playing Mars. He had some big shoes to fill, figuratively. And he apparently has a stone solid core what with those gymnastics he and Nola were doing.

The sets are rich and visually impressive, and the casting is great.

I was hesitant about this show since I wasn't a fan of the movie. Here, I'm in.

• Love 2

I really liked it. Gotta say the stress playing Nola is gorgeous. I wasn't sure about Mars. As the poster said earlier "he had huge shoes to fill." I guess he's doing ok. I'm starting to like him. Greer is too much. I love the richness of the characters though, him included. I think I may revisit the original movie.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I didn't see the original so maybe that's why I didn't like it. The men seem like cartoon characters but perhaps that changes in later episodes. I'm sticking with it for the music and the lead actress but so far, not impressed.

I definitely agree with you. They are over the top. I think that is purposefully done and I like the affect. See the original if you can.

• Love 1

Right, I got the point of why she wore it, but on a shallow note, that dress was too basic for the price point. And it was ill-fitting (too short/tight).

I'm sure she had something cuter in her closet.

But, again, I got that she wanted to test GJM's reactions to it.

I like what I've been watching so far. Spike really put love into this one.

• Love 1

Ditto comment upthread, I didn't think the dress looked good on Nola at all. I also don't think she seemed really comfortable in it and was mostly wearing it as a weapon. That said, it's sad that women are still expected to assume responsibility for the way men choose to react to their clothing. Sure, there are times when women do dress to entice but for the most part I think women choose and wear particular clothing to please themselves or impress other women. I doubt there's ever been a case in history when a woman has dressed a certain way to try to get assaulted.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
nola not nora
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Right, I got the point of why she wore it, but on a shallow note, that dress was too basic for the price point. And it was ill-fitting (too short/tight).

I'm sure she had something cuter in her closet.

But, again, I got that she wanted to test GJM's reactions to it.

I like what I've been watching so far. Spike really put love into this one.

Oh no doubt that dress was not worth the price and it is similar to a dress you'd find at Rainbow. Matter of fact, NY prices are ridamndic anyway!!

So far Nola seems more self-aware and empowered than she did in the movie. Correction: Spike is developing his female protagonist with more complexity and nuance than he did in the movie. 

The lead actress is talented and beautiful. But that nose ring is quite distracting. I prefer the scenes where she doesn’t wear it. 

I don’t usually like love scenes. I still don’t think they need to be as graphic as they are here. But man, are those scenes well-choreographed. And the different shades of brown skin are breathtaking. 

• Love 3

How does a married man expect to have an exclusive relationship with his mistress?

That butt injection scene was horrific. It's hard to imagine anyone would become desperate enough to subject themselves to something so dangerous. Liberal consumption of carbs tends to work for many people...

Raqueletta Moss copes well.

29 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

How does a married man expect to have an exclusive relationship with his mistress?

That butt injection scene was horrific. It's hard to imagine anyone would become desperate enough to subject themselves to something so dangerous. Liberal consumption of carbs tends to work for many people...

Raqueletta Moss copes well.

See: Kardashian, Kim.

See: Minaj, Nicki.

I still have yet to wrap my brain around doing these injections to get an ass so out of proportion to ones body, but people really are doing these back alley injections. I believe I read earlier this year that a girl in Queens maybe died getting injections done in someone's basement. She had traveled from Maryland specifically for the procedure. 

When Shemekka reached that motel and then saw ol' girl with the massive fake ass, I kept saying, "Leave, girl! Leave!"

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Which had me side-eying Nola when she asked Jamie why she hasn't met his friends. Girl, what? You are a mistress. Meeting friends doesn't happen when you're the sidepiece. Jamie was silly for taking her to a restaurant adjacent to his neighborhood, too. It's bad enough the affair is happening, but bringing your mistress around people who you may run into? Don't make no sense.

I don't understand wanting a misshapen ass, either. If you want a manufactured ass, then go somewhere reputable. Besides back-alley injections being a terrible idea, none of the dancers at Hot N Tot (which, kudos to Spike and 'em for referencing Venus hottentot with the club name) didn't even have big asses. The performers in the routine last episode had standard looking booties to me. 

That being said, the actress who plays Shemekka did an excellent job during those scenes. Her screams and pain were visceral. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 2

See: Kardashian, Kim.

See: Minaj, Nicki.

They can well afford to go to reputable plastic surgeons operating in licensed hospitals or clinics. I doubt either of them has had their enhancements done in some random person's apartment or motel room using who knows what kind of chemical garbage.

kudos to Spike and 'em for referencing Venus hottentot with the club name

OMG, I never got the reference until now. Thanks for mentioning it. (And I wonder, is that a reference people would generally know, particularly the people who would tend to go to strip clubs?)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

OMG, I never got the reference until now. Thanks for mentioning it. (And I wonder, is that a reference people would generally know, particularly the people who would tend to go to strip clubs?)

Ha, probably not. Though Hot N Tots looks more like a cabaret than a strip club. Not gonna front, when everyone was turning up and dancing during Shemekka's routine, it looked fun AF. 

• Love 1

Nola is beautiful and has a great body.  I understand two of her lovers because they are well employed and handsome but the messenger guy?  He dresses ridiculous, is too young, underemployed, not very bright and ugly AF.  Can someone explain what she would be doing with a guy like that?

Can someone explain what she would be doing with a guy like that?

For one, he seems to have a core of solid steel and is very flexible. For two, he's apparently like the Energizer Bunny in the bedroom. Nola probably can only deal with him because he's part time though. He'd probably get well hard on her nerves otherwise.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

For one, he seems to have a core of solid steel and is very flexible. For two, he's apparently like the Energizer Bunny in the bedroom. Nola probably can only deal with him because he's part time though. He'd probably get well hard on her nerves otherwise.

Agreed. Mars is that friend you have around when you're having a bad day and you need to laugh. But dealing with his immaturity day in and out? Nah. That's the only thing that makes sense about their dealings. He makes her laugh. And yes, core of steel to be doing those moves.

Nola is beautiful and has a great body.  I understand two of her lovers because they are well employed and handsome but the messenger guy?  He dresses ridiculous, is too young, underemployed, not very bright and ugly AF.  Can someone explain what she would be doing with a guy like that?

To be fair, they really uglied up Anthony Ramos because this is what's underneath his Mars drag:

Anthony-Ramos-cr-aaron-vasquez-2016-bill

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

They can well afford to go to reputable plastic surgeons operating in licensed hospitals or clinics. I doubt either of them has had their enhancements done in some random person's apartment or motel room using who knows what kind of chemical garbage.

That wasn't the point I was making, though. I was talking about butt injections in general, whether we're talking about them being done by reputable, Board-certified doctors or these back alley cats doing injections. Plastic surgery can be dangerous. 

Heh I'm not a fan of the nose ring either.    But I like the actress so far and of the three men Greer really played his role over the top enough to get me chuckling.   I'm loving the music so far and co-sign on the cohesiveness of the "Between The Sheets" scenes. 

I thought the server who gave the one girl a "revised" martini may have secretly added a little something extra to it that wouldn't be palatable.     His little play of his goatee got me suspicious.   But I guess nothing came of it.

I rewatched the original on Netflix so I could compare and contrast.    It's good they stayed true to most of the original story and look forward to seeing the changes now that it's a series.   It'd actually be cool if there were cameos of actors from the original movie especially the original "Nola Darling".

I"m in for the rest of the season.

Edited by Meedis
spell check and more thoughts

I was anxious to catch this series because I am a fan of DeWanda Wise.  However, I am not sure if I completely liked this episode.  I also wasn't that big of a fan of the movie so that maybe why.

I did think that the music and cinematography were wonderful.  Therefore, since I like Anthony Ramos as well, I will continue to watch this series.  I just have to remember to do it, lol.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, Meedis said:

Oh wow....I think the original Nola Darling made an appearance this episode.   So cool.

She did!  That was Tracy Camila Johns in the scene at the art show.

• Love 1

I love that! I haven’t seen the original so when Nola 2.0 made it a point to tell “her fan” that she looked familiar, I was trying to recall if she was in a previous episode and why that was relevant. I love that the original Nola played that part.

Another Easter Egg that I found amusing: when Dean is in the bathroom with Mars and says he recognizes him. “What time is it? It’s showtime!” I don’t live in New York but I’ve heard that is/was a common thing in the subway – so common that Lin-Manuel Miranda put it in Hamilton as a cheeky reference. Anthony Ramos (the actor playing Mars) says that line with his boys in Hamilton. I don’t know that it was a direct reference to Hamilton but it made me chuckle.

Have watched only the first episode of season 2 so far. And wow, this show continues to have the best music.

I guess Spike ran out of script for the first episode and just tacked a music video on the end? It was fine but a bit too inside New York for this viewer. I feel like I couldn't fully appreciate the  message other than "gentrification bad!"

Such a beautiful cast., such vibrant sets and settings, and such intelligent dialogue.