Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

3 p.m. reruns (usually from 2015 or so)-

Did the Drug Addict Do It-Plaintiff (ex apartment room tenant), suing former apartment landlady for $5k, for security, rent, property.     Plaintiff claims her personal property went missing out of her room, and says she was told to leave in four days, instead of 30 days.    Landlady claims nothing was left behind, police checked on the eviction week.    Landlady advised tenant to put a lock on her door, because her own older son had a drug problem, and landlady had a lock on her door too.  Everything is dismissed.  

Love or Obsession- Plaintiff is suing for restraining order by defendant, trying to ban him from his favorite restaurant she works at.   Defendant dated him a few times, and found out his house was filled with pictures of her.   Defendant also let man baby sit her son, and pay many of her bills.  Restraining order was dismissed.    Case dismissed. 

Toxic Negligence-Plaintiff (also real estate broker) suing defendant for illegal eviction.   Defendant says plaintiff was running an illegal business out of the rented house, and violated other lease terms.  Eviction was because after a home inspection, and plaintiff/tenant claimed the house was had mold, and testing was conducted.   Plaintiff did a home test from Home Depot, and was being paid as property manager also, and the mold issue was part of the property management contract.    Plaintiff claims she notified defendant about mold issue, but nothing was done by defendant.   Illegal business run security, and alarm business  out of the house.   One living area was full of file cabinets, and computers, and was operated as an office.   Mold wasn't remediated before the house was rerented.    However, when I rented, it was expressly prohibited to operate a business out of the house, and in the lease.   $2500 to plaintiff for illegal eviction.  Mold report came in the day the tenants were evicted, so I think the lease should have stood.  

Stake Out Neighbor-Plaintiff suing homeowner for putting metal stakes on his lawn to prevent illegal parking that damaged her car.   The stakes are clearly at least a foot or more from the edge of the lawn/street, and plaintiff claims she was on the street when her car damage happened.   The rebar stakes aren't pointing towards the street, but are angled back towards the yard, but are on the grassy area between street and sidewalk.  (He doesn't own the part between sidewalk and street, but does have to maintain it).    (I know someone with a similar problem, she's had people part all the way on her lawn, and one had to get towed off, because there had been a lot of rain, and the car wheels dug down too far to drive out).  Defendant didn't put the rebars back after this.  Plaintiff gets $786 for her bumper.  

• Love 3
(edited)

5 p.m. shows, both reruns, but the first case is a truly bizarre car case-

The Duped Duo-  Plaintiff claims she bought car from defendant, and paid cash, $7,000,  but she admits she never saw the defendant before.     There is a copy of the drivers license of the seller to defendant, who looks like the man who sold the car to the plaintiff.   

Defendant paid $5k for the car, parked it in front of his house, and was supposed to get the title, more keys.   Car disappeared in front of defendant's house.   Car couldn't be reported stolen, because it wasn't in the defendant's name.   Plaintiff saw ad for car right after theft, and plaintiff bought the car for cash, and couldn't title it because of the title, lien's, etc.     Plaintiff claims defendant conspired with repeat seller of car, and there is no proof, and defendant is actually a victim also.    Apparently, seller used the defendant's name, but defendant is not involved.    Plaintiff and boyfriend just don't get that they were ripped off, and the bill of sale is a forgery.       Plaintiff has no case.     

Co-Worker Hang Up-Plaintiff suing defendant for breaking her flat screen TV, when he put it on the wall, and it fell off.  Co-worker/defendant was not a pro at hanging TVs, and it's not his fault.   They both work at Capitol One, which probably doesn't teach you to hang a TV on the wall.  Case dismissed. 

Cat Abandonment-Plaintiff suing defendant/ex-fiance for  nonpayment of rent $580, and move out fees.  Plaintiff was told to move by roommate/fiance, and defendant claims plaintiff left her two cats behind, and never paid for up keep.  Power bill in plaintiff's name was overdue, and she paid it.   Cats were co-owned, by both ladies.   From what JJ says, defendant has a history of bad finances.    Plaintiff gets $600+ for rent loan, and fees.  

Drugged and Beaten by Tijuana Police-Plaintiff band member suing band member for failing to show up for a show that had to be cancelled.   His excuse is he was drugged, and attacked by Tijuana Police.  Defendant couldn't fly on plane, doesn't say why.   Plaintiff gets $3855.  

Cyclist Slammed by Open Car Door-Plaintiff bicyclist was riding on sidewalk (legal where he lives), and claims defendant passenger opened car door, and plaintiff slammed into it and was injured.  Defendant mother is suing car owner and driver, but it was the passenger that opened the door.   Plaintiff should have sued the passenger.   Case dismissed.  

(Tomorrow is a dog attack case involving pepper spray, where a child was impacted by the spray)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Plaintiff claims defendant conspired with repeat seller of car, and there is no proof, and defendant is actually a victim also.    Apparently, seller used the defendant's name, but defendant is not involved.    Plaintiff and boyfriend just don't get that they were ripped off, and the bill of sale is a forgery.       Plaintiff has no case.     

I can sympathize with the plaintiff as she was clearly fleeced out of $7,000. However that sympathy is largely offset by her bull headed Nancy Drew attempts to make the poor sap defendant part of some vast auto sale fraud conspiracy and completely blind to the far more likely truth that he was also victimized.  Craigslist is the unmitigated rectum of the Internet and only a fool or the most diligent of us should EVER buy/sell/ rent property on that platform. I’m a little surprised the defendant bit on that CL Subaru ad given it’s history, including being advertised in Tijuana. 🙄 And get the Carfax boys and girls.

Edited by Byrd is the Word
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Byrd is the Word said:

I can sympathize with the plaintiff as she was clearly fleeced out of $7,000. However that sympathy is largely offset by her bull headed Nancy Drew attempts to make the poor sap defendant part of some vast auto sale fraud conspiracy and completely blind to the far more likely truth that he was also victimized.  Craigslist is the unmitigated rectum of the Internet and only a fool or the most diligent of us should EVER buy/sell/ rent property on that platform. I’m a little surprised the defendant bit on that CL Subaru ad given it’s history, including being advertised in Tijuana. 🙄 And get the Carfax boys and girls.

I have purchased household items from CL (furniture, etc), but would never buy electronics or cars.  No how, no way.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yesterday's case of the vile, scary woman suing her friend over the ownership of a dog she abandoned two years earlier.  It's a little ironic that she's suing to undo what could well be the the one and only kind, selfless act she's ever performed.  That paper tossing, profane temper tantrum exit from the courtroom was epic though.

• Love 7

3 p.m. reruns (probably 2015)-

Ex-Lover to the Rescue-Defendant refuses to replay ex-boyfriend for a $6000+ loan to pay defendant's property taxes,  to save her house from foreclosure.   Case paused to get proof of deposit plaintiff made into defendant's account, and the proof is submitted.    Plaintiff got a loan for the amount, won a little in the lottery, and repaid all but $1600 on the loan.   $5000 to plaintiff.  

Homeless Daughter-Plaintiff suing daughter, and boyfriend lived in her mother's rental car.  Plaintiff rented a car for daughter so she could get her kids, bring the kids to grandma /plaintiff for the summer, went back to Connecticut, and failed to return the rental car.    Daughter says she didn't return the car because she's homeless, and she was living in car with boyfriend.   Rental car total cost is about $3500.   Plaintiff gets $3538.   I'm surprised the rental company didn't report the car as stolen, which it was.  

Father and Son Squatters-Plaintiff man and adult son disobey a housing court judge, and refuse to leave their rental home, were told to leave in October, and are still in the house.    Defendant landlord says at the time of housing court the back rent was $6800. Plaintiffs have a property maintenance building.  Plaintiff says he was put back in home by property court judge, and aren't paying rent for months, but that's not what the paperwork says. Second housing court ruled property owner was supposed to get his property back, but tenants are still living there.   Case is dismissed, plaintiff was suing for his marijuana plants back (he wanted $10k for them).  

Parking Violation Shakedown-Plaintiff claims she was afraid of defendants who repossessed the car they sold her.  Plaintiff claims she didn't get the title, and male defendant has the title with him.    Plaintiff also was awarded a bunch of tickets on the car, including red light tickets, and parking tickets, didn't pay them, and since car was still in defendant's name they were on the hook for them.  Plaintiff says she doesn't have time to register the car, and had the bill of sale, and registration, and still didn't register the car.  

Defendant's witness says both sides did meet, defendant's showed her the tickets, and plaintiff's boyfriend attacked two people during the meeting.   Plaintiff has to pay the tickets, register the car (she has the signed title now), and gets car back.  

• Love 3

5 p.m., both reruns-

Never Pepper Spray a Cop's Kid-Plaintiff suing defendant over dog attack.  Unleashed defendant dog (untangling the leash, the dog escaped), and plaintiff's leashed dog fought, plaintiff sprayed the dogs with pepper spray, and nailed the little girl too.    Defendant paid some of the vet bills ($510), plaintiff's dog needed a consultation and root canal.   Defendant counter suing for the assault on the child (dismissed), and then plaintiff's came to his police station to harass him.   It would be a cold day in hell when I paid the plaintiff's for doggy cosmetic dental work, like a root canal.   There is no expert witness saying the root canal is directly a result of the fight.   JJ will not pay the plaintiff's for cosmetic dentistry.

Harassment charges stem from plaintiff getting aggressive with her status as an attorney, even after he paid the $510 vet bill.    Plaintiff husband actually threatened he would file an official complaint against defendant police officer.   Cases dismissed.  

Vandal's Apology Caught on Text-Defendant claims he didn't vandalize the plaintiff's car at a night club, however defendant sent texts apologizing for the damage.   Defendant says plaintiff hit his car, so he broke all of the windows in the plaintiff's car in retaliation.   Plaintiff gets $1,540 (Plaintiff claims he tapped the defendant's bumper, but there was no damage to defendant's car, only to plaintiff's car).

Deceased Father's Truck Totaled-Plaintiff had accident with her late father's truck, and is suing defendant for failing to fix her truck.  Plaintiff paid him $2,000.   Defendant said there was rear end/frame damage, and he couldn't fix it, and it costs more to fix.   Plaintiff had the truck towed to her place.  JJ returns $1,000 to plaintiff, but defendant keeps $1,000.   

Adult Son Breaks Dad's Rules-Plaintiff suing defendant/son for a truck loan, and related expenses.   34 year old son had financial issues, and father let him move home, bought truck and put it in son's name.  Father claims he had rules for living in his house, and son broke them.  Son paid $750 to father, and not the last $750.    Father through son out of house, and son still owes $750, and plaintiff gets that.  

That's a Bunch of Baloney-Plaintiff suing defendant for unpaid balance on horse trailer plaintiff sold him.   Purchase price was $9,000, settled for $8,000, deposit was $4,000.   Plaintiff kept title pending payment of full purchase price.   No proof of the second $4,000 being paid, so plaintiff gets $4,000, and title to defendant.  

(Tomorrow is a case of a pit bull attack animal being compared to Scooby Doo, so it's very irritating, and a rerun). 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Defendant claims he didn't vandalize the plaintiff's car at a night club,

There are lots of things I miss about being 25 years old. Hanging around night clubs at 1:30am with low lifes like these two litigants ain’t one of them. Shuffle need back to Buffalo fellas.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Deceased Father's Truck Totaled-Plaintiff had accident with her late father's truck, and is suing defendant for failing to fix her truck.  Plaintiff paid him $2,000.   Defendant said there was rear end/frame damage, and he couldn't fix it, and it costs more to fix.   Plaintiff had the truck towed to her place.  JJ returns $1,000 to plaintiff, but defendant keeps $1,000.   

This truck looks like a total loss. There should be a law against a shade tree mechanic like the defendant trying to put this barely rolling disaster back on the public highways. 

• Love 3
On 7/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Defendant paid $5k for the car, parked it in front of his house, and was supposed to get the title, more keys.   Car disappeared in front of defendant's house.

She and her high-waisted witness were beyond annoying. She's told she can't relate what anyone else told her. "Of course", she says, then starts again with hearsay. 

That she's trying to imply that the def is some kind of criminal mastermind was hilarious. I'm sure he's been just waiting his whole life for the opportunity to try to fleece someone for a couple of thousand dollars. He's not so bright himself, buying some old beater from some guy on CL.  Stop buying cars from strangers on CL. Problem solved.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

He's not so bright himself, buying some old beater from some guy on CL. 

Though he’s smart enough to know that he’s been cheated, who cheated him and accept responsibility for his own failures. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Byrd is the Word said:

Though he’s smart enough to know that he’s been cheated, who cheated him and accept responsibility for his own failures.

True, that's a rare moment on this show, but you would expect someone his age (maybe 65?) to know better. The plaintiff was very young, maybe learned a good lesson and won't do that again. Maybe.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

True, that's a rare moment on this show, but you would expect someone his age (maybe 65?) to know better. The plaintiff was very young, maybe learned a good lesson and won't do that again. Maybe.

I think it’s a benefit of age and experience to know when you’ve been had by a crook, accept the fact that the money is gone and no one can put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

He's not so bright himself, buying some old beater from some guy on CL.  Stop buying cars from strangers on CL. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

True, that's a rare moment on this show, but you would expect someone his age (maybe 65?) to know better.

I beg to differ...one of the high level execs I work with, who was in his mid-60's at the time, purchased a car off Craig's List that was supposed to be some sort of fully restored classic (1950's or 60's) convertible car, He had several texts/emails with the seller and had pictures of the vehicle. It was shipped to him from the south (we are in upstate NY), and upon arrival. lo and behold, the car was not what was described. Needless to say the exec was out a boatload of cash, and had to hire a lawyer to get a judgement that I don't think he ever saw dime of because the "seller" had vanished. Older is not always wiser.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

I beg to differ...one of the high level execs I work with, who was in his mid-60's at the time, purchased a car off Craig's List that was supposed to be some sort of fully restored classic (1950's or 60's) convertible car, He had several texts/emails with the seller and had pictures of the vehicle. It was shipped to him from the south (we are in upstate NY), and upon arrival. lo and behold, the car was not what was described. Needless to say the exec was out a boatload of cash, and had to hire a lawyer to get a judgement that I don't think he ever saw dime of because the "seller" had vanished. Older is not always wiser.

Yeah, you'd be surprised at how many people over a certain age have no clue about Craigslist.  My mom won't touch it with a 10 foot pole because she doesn't understand it, and is paranoid, but many people are too trusting with it and offers that are too good to be true.  One time, when we needed a car because our beater had been hit in front of our house, I inquired about an ad that someone sent me a link to.  I was pretty sure it was a scam, but I inquired anyway.  Two minutes later, I got a poorly worded response about how the person selling the car was in the military overseas, and I would have to pay the shipping fees and duties up front via Western Union...NOPE!  Reported them immediately.  

• Love 5

@funky-rat, so true, and the man I'm referring to thinks he is oh so smart when it comes to stuff like craigs list/e-bay, etc, he was bragging about this car and the deal he got for weeks to anyone who would listen and when it was realized that he got scammed suddenly it was "poor me, I didn't realize...." Let's just say it was hard for me to have sympathy #1 because he's a braggart and #2 because the money was barely a dent in his bank account.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

@funky-rat, so true, and the man I'm referring to thinks he is oh so smart when it comes to stuff like craigs list/e-bay, etc, he was bragging about this car and the deal he got for weeks to anyone who would listen . . . 

I would not have been able to restrain myself from sending him links to all of the online horror stories about craigslist scam victims - especially those who buy cars.  Always with a note at the top that says "I'm sure your deal isn't like this, but some people who think they are really smart are so dumb that they get scammed."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

He had several texts/emails with the seller and had pictures of the vehicle. I

Anyone foolish enough to buy something sight unseen from the internet the internet deserves what he gets. I’ve been scammed before and probably will be again. But that’s just ultra dumb. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

Western Union = 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Yeah, big-time.  It was a friend who sent me the link - they were trying to be helpful.  I was 99.9% sure it was a scam, but the ad itself was written fairly well.  Probably cut and pasted.

There were no photos either, - another red flag.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

Yeah, big-time.  It was a friend who sent me the link - they were trying to be helpful.  I was 99.9% sure it was a scam, but the ad itself was written fairly well.  Probably cut and pasted.

There were no photos either, - another red flag.

I've bought and sold a number of cars and motorcycles on eBay and a few on Craigslist.  Scams can be really, really clever but most are as dumb AF.  The trouble is that there are new scams every day and even the best and brightest of us can't see every one coming every time.  The are two groups of buyers/sellers on the internet, those of us who have been scammed and those of you that haven't been scammed.  Yet.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

..one of the high level execs I work with, who was in his mid-60's at the time, purchased a car off Craig's List that was supposed to be some sort of fully restored classic (1950's or 60's) convertible car

There was a case on this show where a plaintiff - a man at least in his fifties who seemed of normal intelligence  -  was suing because he bought a car that was in another state, believed everything the seller told him and bought it sight unseen. IIRC, the seller then said he needed more money to fix something on it and the plaintiff sent that too. Of course, the thing was junk and didn't even run.

How can you buy a car you've never even seen close up, never mind taking a test drive or had it inspected by a mechanic? You can't tell from a picture if there is even an engine or it's all held together with duct tape. I guess I learned something from our brilliant litigants, who declare in the hall, "Don't trust anyone!" even though they are usually the defendants.🤨

4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Two minutes later, I got a poorly worded response about how the person selling the car was in the military overseas, and I would have to pay the shipping fees and duties up front via Western Union...NOPE!

100% Nigerian "Advance Fee" scam. CL is crawling with them - apartments, cars, electronics are popular with them. 

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"I'm sure your deal isn't like this, but some people who think they are really smart are so dumb that they get scammed."

I was quite fascinated to see how many professionals - doctors, lawyers, etc have sent many thousands of dollars to Nigeria - one of them a psychologist who was bankrupted and whose story is infamous - but yes, they think they are too smart to get scammed. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

3 p.m. reruns (probably 2015 or so)-

Antique Car Destroyed-Plaintiff/car owner  says defendant mechanic didn't fix his classic/antique car, a 1969 Buick Le Saber (spelling), that he's owned since 1992.   Mechanic says he was hired to paint the car, for $2k, but not remove the rust.   Plaintiff says $1500 for body work, rust removal and patch, and paint the car.   Mechanic says a tree fell on the car, and claims owner saw the damages from tree, and he used Bondo on it, and painted it.   Supposedly a window on car was smashed, and water got in car and caused more damages. Plaintiff says mechanic shop was illegal, and he got his car back.   Now the litigants fight over driveable, not driveable, condition of the car, rust on the car.   Mechanic claims he replaced window damaged by the tree.   Plaintiff gets $1500 back.  King of Bondo gets nothing. 

Roommate or Thief-Plaintiff suing defendant  (they met at Mental Health, and were both patients).  Plaintiff was evicted from previous residence, and is suing for illegal eviction (unlawful detainer) from previous home, and moved into room at defendant's house.  Plaintiff claims she has pictures of paying the defendant the rent.  Plaintiff claims defendant illegally evicted her, and kept her property.   Amazing how expensive the property of evicted tenants is worth, isn't it?   Plaintiff claims shoes, a leather coat, clothing were stolen.  (Plaintiff makes a big to do about children of defendant living with her brother, but if plaintiff is ticked at defendant I would get the kids away too.   Also, sometimes the kids live with relatives in better school districts too. )

****Plaintiff says defendant (this is as close to a quote as I can get) steals from people, sells drugs, lost her kids, and "is pregnant by a homeless man who crawls in the window".****    

I think Officer Byrd is look very protective after the outburst by the plaintiff.  Nothing for litigants.    (On exit Byrd blocks the plaintiff from leaving for quite a while, to make a clear getaway for the defendant. 

Busted for Pull-Ups-Defendant says he was arrested and threatened with jail time for doing pull-ups at a bus stop.     Plaintiff step father, and mother suing defendant for bail costs $4,000, and attorney fees.   Girlfriend of defendant contacted the plaintiff/mother about bail, and asked for money so he wouldn't have to stay in jail for two weeks.    Defendant's son was visiting for the summer,  and staying with the defendant girlfriend, while man was in pokey.      Grandson would have to go back to his mother, if man wasn't bailed out, and it could affect future visitation.   Plaintiff mother bailed defendant out , and want their money back.  Probation fees were $2700, but defendant claims he didn't want to be bailed out.  

Nothing for plaintiffs.     No expectation of repayment, and son never asked for money.  Defendants gets nothing either.

Moral Judgment From a Thief-Plaintiff suing ex boyfriend /defendant (JJ calls man an idiot) for cashing a check on her account that man received for a side job.   The check was bad, and plaintiff wants check amount, and fees.  $3438 was check amount, and fees for bad check.   Plaintiff gave money to defendant.    Defendant claims he barely knew the plaintiff, and she was foolish for trusting the check he gave her.    $3600 to plaintiff.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Officer Byrd is look very protective after the outburst by the plaintiff.

This was where Byrd, when the stories became ever wilder and weirder, said as an aside to JJ, "Remember where they met." Both of them were nuts, the plaintiff more obviously so, but def volunteers the info that although she has a husband, her kids now live with her brother. I'm glad we didn't have to find out why.  Stories of child neglect and/or abuse aren't what I want to hear with my dinner and wine.

6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Mechanic claims he replaced window damaged by the tree. 

I couldn't make heads or tails of anything he said, and plaintiff being filled with righteous indignation that the def was illegally operating *gasp!* but didn't give a shit about that when he wanted a cheap fix, but just have to mention my brother once had a '69 Buick LeSabre, baby blue. That thing was like a yacht. Amazing.

• Love 5

5 p.m. reruns-

Beverly Hills Nightmare-(I remember this one, and the room was lovely, and huge.  I saw it online for rent, and it's a big, nice room.  The room adjoined a beautiful private pool, and the second bathroom was off the pool.)Plaintiff paid $1644, plus $600 security deposit, plus cleaning fee, and service fee for VRBO.    That makes the room a little over $200 a night, try getting something decent in that zip code for that price.     VRBO refunded some to the man already.  Case dismissed. 

Horse Riding Jeans Rule-Plaintiff and Mommy suing ex-boyfriend for unpaid rent, riding jeans, and other stuff.    19 and 20 year olds were living together, 20 yr. old woman was going to go to school, and 19 year old defendant was going to get a job.   They couldn't come up with the security deposit, so they left.  When they moved out and broke the lease  and defendant paid $1990 himself.  Plaintiff claims she took her name of the lease, so owes nothing.  Case dismissed.    I think defendant should have received half of the lease breaking fee. 

Rerun-

My Pit Bull Is Like Scooby Doo-Defendant claims his dog is the Pit Bull equivalent of Scooby Doo, and that is just wrong.     Plaintiff mother was backing out, defendant man was backing out, and they collided, and insurance paid for it.   After collision defendant's wife came out of the house, and the pit bull came with her, off leash.    Pit bull crossed the street, and attacked the plaintiff's dog on the plaintiff's property.   Plaintiff's chihuahua mix was attacked by pit bull on the front lawn of the plaintiff's house.  Homeowner's insurance refused to cover the Pit Bull.   (Please, not the Grandfather's Pit Bull ripped off my Grandson's face letter again!).   

Defendant objects to paying for anesthesia for the Chihuahua.    Letter says homeowner's insurance will not cover Pit Bulls, or mixes.    Defendant is a jerk, and his wife is just as bad.  WIfe gets the Byrd boot.     Vet bills to plaintiff.          

Car Slammed Into Newspaper Stand-Plaintiff's (daughter car owner, car driven by her mother) was wrecked by defendant, and her insurance covered her car damages, but defendant's company covered nothing for plaintiff.    Woman was coming out of parking lot onto the street, and defendant was coming down the street, and hit the front wheel of her car.  Police report states that defendant was having a seizure when he hit plaintiff's car, and three other cars, and defendant has a history of seizures.    Plaintiff daughter (car owner, not at accident) wants pain and suffering for her car being damaged.   Plaintiff daughter gets the boot, and is still telling mother what to say on her way out of court.  

Defendant remembers virtually nothing of the accident, and I think he's lying about not having seizures.    The other three cars that were hit by defendant were parked on the street.  Case is dismissed.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Beverly Hills Nightmare-

Oh, joy! A repeat of the new classic, starring Craig "I was with my WIFE!!!" Weinstein vs. Ellen "My Botox Has Messed up my Brain and I am Physically Incapable of Shutting up!" Schneiderman.

I loved this case. Poor Craig and Mrs. Craig suffered the tortures of the damned. There was only ONE really nice bathroom in the room he scored for a really cheap price in Beverly Hills! Craig and his little woman need TWO bathrooms, minimum! Cheapskate Craig is used to grander accommodations and he was with his WIFE!! His wife had to roll over and get out of the bed on his side! OMG. Can you imagine?? This is his wife, people! There was a *shudder* mini-fridge in the CLOSET! His wife had constant seizures caused by this traumatic event, I guess, could not stay there and is incapacitated to this very day so could not appear here. The pool? Maybe it wasn't blue enough or pool-y enough? They had to flee this house of horrors and seek refuge elsewhere so want ALL the money they spent at another place. Sorry to go on about a rerun but I loved it, I tell you.

Byrd detested both of them and couldn't wait to hustle them out.

I just wish we had more cases like this instead of sordid, scummy tales of violence, scamming, savagery and child abuse.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, joy! A repeat of the new classic, starring Craig "I was with my WIFE!!!" Weinstein vs. Ellen "My Botox Has Messed up my Brain and I am Physically Incapable of Shutting up!" Schneiderman.

I remembered the case from the description on my Cox guide.  But I had forgotten that it was necessary to look twice to be sure the defendant wasn't Caitlyn Jenner.  Must have gone to the same plastic surgeon/botox specialist.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I loved this case. Poor Craig and Mrs. Craig suffered the tortures of the damned. There was only ONE really nice bathroom in the room he scored for a really cheap price in Beverly Hills! Craig and his little woman need TWO bathrooms, minimum! Cheapskate Craig is used to grander accommodations and he was with his WIFE!! His wife had to roll over and get out of the bed on his side! OMG. Can you imagine?? This is his wife, people! There was a *shudder* mini-fridge in the CLOSET! His wife had constant seizures caused by this traumatic event, I guess, could not stay there and is incapacitated to this very day so could not appear here. The pool? Maybe it wasn't blue enough or pool-y enough? They had to flee this house of horrors and seek refuge elsewhere so want ALL the money they spent at another place.

It's always remarkable to me when individuals like this plaintiff who, unlike some of the dregs and poor souls who show up to litigate, clearly posses the intellect and skills to make a nice life take the extraordinary step of suing when something as ordinary as being disappointed by a vacation rental happens.  It always begs the question "How do you react when something extraordinarily bad happens to you?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

It always begs the question "How do you react when something extraordinarily bad happens to you?"

That's what I often think as well when watching certain cases. If people are this emotionally distressed and outraged by a clean and lovely room with a private pool because the room isn't as big as they would like, what about when there's a terrible accident, a deadly disease, or a death?

On the one hand, I think I might envy people like the Weinsteins - especially the hothouse flower wife -  whose lives must have been so smooth until now that a mini-fridge in a closet is seen as a terrible hardship but OTOH when real disaster strikes how on earth will they deal with it?

My husband and I once rented a room in Maine, going by pictures only. When we got there, the room was not the one pictured. It truly was horrendous, and we've stayed in some pretty crappy motel rooms with no problem, but no way could we last a week there. So, we went elsewhere and ended up paying 50$ more per night. Never did we think of suing for our trauma or to get all our money back.  We went to a Caribbean resort, only to find the pool was drained for renovations, the a/c was unreliable and the water in the rooms kept cutting off. We were on our HONEYMOON!! Didn't anyone CARE?? 🤣 Oh, well. We managed to tamp our hysteria down and had a wonderful time. These things are hardly life-altering.

• Love 9
(edited)

On the one hand, I think I might envy people like the Weinsteins - especially the hothouse flower wife -  whose lives must have been so smooth until now that a mini-fridge in a closet is seen as a terrible hardship but OTOH when real disaster strikes how on earth will they deal with it?

I feel 0 admiration anyone so entitled and spoiled that they would go to such lengths to recover money under these circumstances.  Other than the fact they generally speak and dress better, litigants like this are no different than the squatters trying to job the system for free accommodations.

My husband and I once rented a room in Maine, going by pictures only. When we got there, the room was not the one pictured. It truly was horrendous, and we've stayed in some pretty crappy motel rooms with no problem, but no way could we last a week there. So, we went elsewhere and ended up paying 50$ more per night. Never did we think of suing for our trauma or to get all our money back.  We went to a Caribbean resort, only to find the pool was drained for renovations, the a/c was unreliable and the water in the rooms kept cutting off. We were on our HONEYMOON!! Didn't anyone CARE?? 🤣 Oh, well. We managed to tamp our hysteria down and had a wonderful time. These things are hardly life-altering.

This is what credit cards are for.  When I feel I've been wronged by someone who took my money and didn't deliver what I think I paid for I dispute the charge if I can't get satisfaction dealing with the merchant.  The issuing bank has way more leverage than any one of us and they'll get to to the bottom of it.  There's also a certain amount of insurance that covers lots of purchases.  If MasterCard or AmeEx makes the credit permanent I win and if they reinstate the charge I pay it.

PS, I remember lots of things about our 1980's era honeymoon but not a single memory of the hotel room.  😉🔥

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I feel 0 admiration anyone so entitled and spoiled that they would go to such lengths to recover money under these circumstances. 

Mr. Weinstein even topped the man who was suing the owner of the luxury home he rented, wanting to be paid for the cheap Xmas decorations he left there in a bag.  Maybe there was a pot or pan as well. To be fair, I'm pretty sure he had some kind of mental illness, that he would go on national tv and whine about some garlands of tinsel stuffed in a plastic grocery bag.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Byrd is the Word said:

I feel 0 admiration anyone so entitled and spoiled that they would go to such lengths to recover money under these circumstances.

Mr. AZC and I came from different states, but similar backgrounds.  Very low income, alcoholic fathers, very little fun memories from childhood.

We are still not rich, but we worked hard, saved, took care of ourselves, and hoped and PLANNED on happy retirement years.  There are times now when we're getting ready to board a cruise ship, or after we've gotten off a zipline when we actually vocalize:  "I almost feel sorry for people who have never had to 'do without.'"  We really wonder whether they have the same enjoyment out of special things, as they have always had them and never had any adversity to understand how MUCH better it is to have fun/joy in their lives.  In other words:  Do people who have never been hungry really appreciate having enough to eat?

MOST people (IMO) would have been delighted with that Beverly Hills guest house.  And I personally would have found a mini-fridge in the closet a real bonus!!!  I like my wine chilled (even if I bought it at Wal-Mart).

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Mr. AZC and I came from different states, but similar backgrounds.  Very low income, alcoholic fathers, very little fun memories from childhood.

We are still not rich, but we worked hard, saved, took care of ourselves, and hoped and PLANNED on happy retirement years.  There are times now when we're getting ready to board a cruise ship, or after we've gotten off a zipline when we actually vocalize:  "I almost feel sorry for people who have never had to 'do without.'"  We really wonder whether they have the same enjoyment out of special things, as they have always had them and never had any adversity to understand how MUCH better it is to have fun/joy in their lives.  In other words:  Do people who have never been hungry really appreciate having enough to eat?

MOST people (IMO) would have been delighted with that Beverly Hills guest house.  And I personally would have found a mini-fridge in the closet a real bonus!!!  I like my wine chilled (even if I bought it at Wal-Mart).

Amen. 

• Love 7
(edited)
36 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Well, I guess it'd be ok if my box of wine fits in the mini fridge.... for me to be delighted I'd need to fit a case of brewski 😉

Edited by SRTouch
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We really wonder whether they have the same enjoyment out of special things, as they have always had them and never had any adversity to understand how MUCH better it is to have fun/joy in their lives. 

@AZChristian, I love this thought! 

• Love 5
(edited)

3 p.m. reruns (2015 or so)-

EBay Transmission Fail-Plaintiff paid $1850 to have her transmission replaced, with a transmission he bought off of EBay, and mechanic claims transmission was defective, and she got scammed.  Who buys a transmission off of EBay?    Defendant loaned plaintiff an old Lincoln to drive around, she titled in her name, and then she sold it.   As JJ says, woman took Lincoln in satisfaction of the debt, and that ends the debt to the mechanic.    Woman financed everything from her school loans.   $1,000 for plaintiff. 

Fashion Road Trip-Plaintiffs suing defendant for cost of rental car they drove around Atlanta, for a trip Pittsburgh to Atlanta for a BET Mixer, to network, and get exposure to important people.    Plaintiff claims defendant was supposed to pay everything, instead of splitting the expenses three ways.  Also, they used a Zip Car, which charges by the mile, and if defendant knew about that, then he would have rented from Enterprise with unlimited daily mileage.  $251 each is the ruling for defendant. 

Football Meets Windshield-Plaintiff suing defendants (Mother and grandmother of 14 year old who threw football) for tossing football that cracked her car windshield, defendant Craig is 14.  Defendant admits he was tossing football with friend, and claims it's all friend's fault. Defendant says football hit plaintiff's car, and plaintiff got out of car yelling at them, and friend started crying, went to get his Mommy.   Defendant admits woman's windshield was already broken, and she was driving around that way.  Plaintiff gets $179, and defendant learns nothing.  

Dog Walkers Encounter Ends in Bloodshed-Plaintiff (Mini Dachshund owner) suing defendants for injuries from dog fight.  Both dogs were leashed, and walked on leashes, defendant dog was a Boxer mix.   Walkers were meeting in alley, with leashed dogs, and then Boxer mix attacked, dog walker plaintiff punched, and kicked Boxer to get it to let go of the dog, then Boxer was on leash, but dragging leash.    Defendant dog walker claims she told plaintiff walker to stay away from her dog.  Defendant blames everything on the plaintiff mini Dachshund.    Plaintiff had flexi leash, and JJ believes what defendant says about warning given.    I don't believe the defendant.  Case dismissed for vet and medical bills.   $110 for medical bills to defendant.    

Madman Money-Plaintiff suing defendant ex-girlfriend for unpaid loan to pay off her car.  Plaintiff claims it was a loan, but defendant claims it was a payment to her for damage to her car.    Plaintiff figured defendant wouldn't repay him, after a month he retitled car in his name, and a few days later the defendant's new boyfriend somehow retitled car in his name, and later sold the car.   $2,000 to plaintiff.  

(I loved the vacation rental room, and thought it was spectacular.  It's certainly more gorgeous than any hotel I've ever stayed in, and I loved the pool.  I hope the plaintiffs ended up with a tiny room, at two or three times the price, and was the one the elevator is next too. )

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

5 p.m. episodes-

Rerun-

Gender Reveal Party Pooper-Defendant pregnant teen suing her mother for posting embarrassing photos on Facebook, from her Gender Reveal party.  Plaintiff mother is suing for vet bills, for defendant's dog and plaintiff lent them the money, and paid all but $395 back.  The defendants stopped paying after a kerfuffle over the posting the pictures, and mother kept baby clothes and items, and the defendant gets those back.  JJ says better than 50/50 chance boyfriend won't be around in 10 years, but mom will.     Mother gets $395. 

Judge Judy's Joy for $500, Alex-Defendant was running errands with plaintiff's car, when she had her only accident.  JJ said she enjoys making people look stupid, that try to come to court and make her look stupid. Defendant had no driver's license, because she has had her license suspended twice, and from a DUI.    Defendant was also driving plaintiff's kids around, with no license.    Plaintiff claims she left her kids with defendant's sister, not defendant.    Defendant has a limited license, only for work, hospital, etc.    So after accident defendant claims she went to emergency room, because of issues with her pregnancy.  Defendant claims she was going to the hospital when she had the accident, and JJ is going to check that out.   OK, when JJ says she's going to check with the ER, woman's story changes to a totally different story.    Defendant wants $2500 for illegal eviction by plaintiff, and property, and gets zero.      Plaintiff receives $1,400 for car. 

Rerun-

Driveway Dust Up-Plaintiff wanted brick third garage added to her house, and driveway.   HOA, and probably Code Enforcement wouldn't let you add to the sidewalk, and driveway curb cuts (they're expensive, and most places don't allow add-ons unless homeowner wants to pay for it).   Homeowner/plaintiff approved architect's plans, and contractor/defendant says it was according to budget, and codes.    Because of the permit issue, the driveway to the add-on is curved to the original driveway per code there.     I see nothing wrong with the architect's plans, and I can only imagine how much the HOA, and city would charge for a new curb cut, meters moved, or whatever else it would entail. 

Roommate Kerfuffle-Defendant gave notice in December that he was leaving by 1 February, but left the end of December.  Since defendant left before January, landlady didn't have time to advertise room for rent, so he loses that month.   Plaintiff also wants damage to furniture, and property theft, but former roommate (tenant before defendant moved in) claims 'missing' furniture was his , and he left it behind.   No receipt by landlady for 'damages", so she gets $550 for lost rent, minus security.  

(The second episode didn't match the cable guide).  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Very low income, alcoholic fathers, very little fun memories from childhood.

Were we separated at birth?😮

I won't quote the rest of your post but a big YEP to all of it. Hell, I recently got excited with a new cast iron pan.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Woman financed everything from her school loans. 

Byrd financed her Audi purchase. The whole fugazi thing about an established mechanic buying a t***** on eBay was weird, but he gave her 250$ because she had no food. Didn't look like she's missed too many meals. The car he gave her was junk and she had to drop out of school where she was doing so well. I guess her courses didn't require a knowledge of basic grammar. The "I seen" thing just grates on me so damned much. Now she just stays home, but I guess she can somehow afford not only lots of food but expensive hairdos. I guess Byrd had to dig a little deeper into his pockets.

Just catching up. Spent the day at my brother's new house, had a nice dip in the pool, dinner, wine and all that and not once did he assault me, his wife never challenged me to fight her, the police were never called and no cars were vandalized. A good day!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I think Mr. BigShot in the Botox B&B case didn't study his VRBO listing carefully and was expecting more of a suite-like area.   I wish we could have met Mrs. BigShot!   I guess she couldn't come to court because that horrific experience scarred her for life.  Perhaps she was resting at the sanatorium?

Oh damn!  The driveway case made my head explode the first time.  JJ made the right decision, but had no business hearing that case.   When she kept saying to take the driveway straight to the street would cost the same as the curved one, I was losing my mind.

HRH needs to not get any more technical than the occasional dog grooming or dress making case.

Having played the driveway/hard headed resident game more than once, this is exactly how it went:

D.- "Yes, we can make it wide and straight, but extra, concrete, labor, curb cut fee, and removal AND replacement of the sidewalk through there will cost another $1900-2000."

P.- "Oh no!!! I can't afford it, can you do it for $200.??? " Boo-hoo.

When the whining fails to get her all the extra work for free, she agrees to the curved (NOT A DAMN SEMI-CIRCLE, JJ) driveway.

A few months later, she's not liking the two seconds extra it takes to pull in and then straighten out.  And by god, somebody needs to pay for her cheap decision!

Personally, I think more green and less concrete always looks better than a front yard full of concrete, but YMMV.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

not once did he assault me, his wife never challenged me to fight her, the police were never called and no cars were vandalized. A good day!!

Oh come on, you could have at least keyed someone's car! You're letting down the team.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

You're letting down the team.

I know. A family get together doesn't really feel complete unless the cops are called at least once. Well, in JJ-world, anyway.

I guess I could have tried harder, gotten into the Hennessy and maybe yelled, "Where's the tractor at?" or "I'll bust you, dude", or maybe even, "You are so hit!" e.g.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DoctorK said:

You're letting down the team.

C'mon @AngelaHunter, tell us at the very least your and your SIL opened a new wireless account with a line for everybody including your side squeeze and bought the latest model iPhone with lots of accessories for all.  Be sure that new phone with all your text and screen cap evidence has been replaced with a new phone when you show up to litigate after the entire arrangement surprisingly blows up in your face.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

I think Mr. BigShot in the Botox B&B case didn't study his VRBO listing carefully and was expecting more of a suite-like area.   I wish we could have met Mrs. BigShot!   I guess she couldn't come to court because that horrific experience scarred her for life.  Perhaps she was resting at the sanatorium?

I, on the other hand, think that maybe Mrs. BigShot didn't find the accommodations to be nearly as bad as he did.  Maybe he was angry because she was soaking in that beautiful bathroom, and he had to walk across the patio to use the second bathroom to do #2.  She - accustomed to his attitude - told him he could jolly well go to court and embarrass himself on his own.  Really . . . she could have gotten free air travel and hotel accommodations from the east coast back to SoCal.  There's a reason she wasn't there - and if it had been a good one, he'd have brought it up in court.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

She - accustomed to his attitude - told him he could jolly well go to court and embarrass himself on his own. 

Excellent point!  I am so used to seeing our litigants gleefully airing their dirty drawers on TeeVee that I forget that a few people may actually still have some self respect.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

Excellent point!  I am so used to seeing our litigants gleefully airing their dirty drawers on TeeVee that I forget that a few people may actually still have some self respect.

I wonder - as a second possibility - if Mrs. BigShot's avoirdupois was such that IT was the reason she couldn't fit between her side of the bed and the wall.  In that case, I could also understand why she wouldn't appear in court, knowing that he was going to use that as part of his argument as to why the room was so horrible.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

3 p.m. both reruns (about 2015)-

First episode-

Adult Assaults Disrespectful Tweener-Plaintiff mother suing defendant volunteer class monitor for pinching her 12 year old daughter, and telling to stop sitting with her legs wide apart.   Plaintiff mother thinks her daughter is a wonderful child, and wasn't a problem at school.   Defendant says daughter was disrespectful, talked in class constantly, eye-rolling, and other disruptive behavior.   

JJ reprimands the defendant for pinching the 12 year old.   The defendant also told girl not to sit with her legs wide open in front of the male teacher, and then complain about teacher looking up her dress.   Mother of plaintiff claims no one at school ever said her daughter was a behavior problem.  There were no medical bills for the daughter, and mother put Neosporin on it.    Mother's excuse is all of the kid's at school are equally bad.    Plaintiff gets $10 (yes ten dollars). 

Second episode-

Mocked After Being Attacked- Plaintiff was walking her Pit Bull on a leash,  carrying a bat, when she saw defendant's German Shepherd loose, Shepherd charged and attacked Pit.   Woman started hitting both with her bat.    Defendant never tried to leash or control the dog.  Plaintiff claims Shepherd attacked, knocked her down, and were fighting on top of her, and claims defendant started laughing, and mocking her being upset.   Defendant lied about who attacked who.   

Defendant's witness says she saw everything, but plaintiff claims that woman wasn't there.    Defendant told animal control that dog wasn't his but was his girlfriend's dog, was hidden for two months, and now is back.    Plaintiff had to get rabies shots, because defendant didn't talk to animal control until after the incubation period.    $3400 to plaintiff. 

Girlfriend Causes Heart Failure-Plaintiff claims defendant taking his car caused a heart attack.  After the couple broke up, they occasionally talked, and met a few times.  When woman/defendant said she needed money, plaintiff said that they should go to Vegas.   Plaintiff claims while he was in the hospital after a heart attack, that defendant took his car, and he's never seen it again, and had another heart attack.    Defendant claims that plaintiff called her from the hospital, and pick up his car.  Defendant claims the car died, and is parked at her office.   Plaintiff gets his keys back, and will have it towed.  Case dismissed.  

• Love 3