Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

As soon as I hear that, or "I was on my way to church" or "I'm a Christian" I pretty much know we're going to hear a tale of scamming, cheating and lying. I don't go to church ever,

Preach sister!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

I initially pegged the defendant as a territorial asshole considering the number of times he mentioned "private property". That assessment was sealed when the used the "I am a God-fearing man" line as a testimonial to his honesty and credibility.

If I went into a hissiy fit each time a Canada Post or FedEx delivery truck enters my property, I would have died of an apoplectic fit a long time ago.

Too bad JJ did not decide to award the delivery guys more money because the private signage for the private blockage was privately deficient.

My husband used to make deliveries in a prior job (and wants to get back in to it) and he said this kind of stuff would happen to him a lot.  He'd be going to one person in a complex or industrial park, and he'd have a heck of a time getting to the one person he needed to see because of gated security, etc.  And none of that was for the business he was there to see.  He learned to keep expired drivers licenses because he'd often have to leave them with security and he didn't trust he'd get it back.

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

As soon as I hear that, or "I was on my way to church" or "I'm a Christian" I pretty much know we're going to hear a tale of scamming, cheating and lying. I don't go to church ever, but I wouldn't steal the keys from someone else's vehicle as you just know this mealy-mouthed asshole did.

When I worked for a collection agency, we always joked that the people who has stuff like "Jesus Loves You" or "God Bless You" on their answering machine were the biggest assholes on the planet.  The biggest jerks I talked to in my short tenure as a collector (I moved to another department and stuck around for a number of years) were a Rabbi (I don't hold it against all Rabbis) and a woman who had her kid on the answering machine saying "Hello!  It's a BEAUTIFUL day that Jesus has given us, so you KNOW that Mommy and I aren't sitting inside, but are outside in all of God's wonder, as he wants it.  Leave a message, and we'll call you back.  God Bless!".  My husband always said the worst drivers he'd come in contact with were people with Jesus Fish, or "God Is My Co-Pilot" stuff, etc.  Always cutting him off, etc.  My dad was a private pilot, and had a sticker once that said "If God Is Your Co-Pilot, You Need To Switch Seats".

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What I didn't like about the delivery case is he wasn't delivering to the trailer park, but cutting through to the Kroger's.   I'm guessing it happens a lot, and not just the Fedex guy.    I would worry as a trailer park owner having someone hurt by a truck that was taking a shortcut, and being held liable because I didn't stop it.     I wonder why the other road was blocked?    

I really think the truck key thief is lucky he didn't get arrested for auto burglary or something similar.      I really disliked him personally, and especially the God-fearing man remark.    That remark had nothing to do with the case.     

I think the No Outlet sign was on the street leading to the blocked off road ending, and not on the left turn into and through the trailer park.  

14 hours ago, DoctorK said:

As I recall, the driver said that he was delivering to homes in the trailer park. Also, didn't JJ tell the park owner that his signs were not positioned properly? I may be wrong on either or both of these. The defendant should have gotten hit harder on stealingt the keys, not for the $15 replacement cost (which for some reason JJ reduced to $14) but for a deliberate and malicious action that cost the plaintiffs time and money.

He actually was making a delivery to someone who lived there.  As a habit, when he would exit, he'd go through the Kroger lot rather than drive all the way back out, and my husband said if that would have been an option in the places he'd visit, he'd do the same.  It's not about a shortcut, as JJ said, but getting out of there in the most efficient way and getting off their property in a timely manner.  The driver also said the roads weren't cleared well, and I believe that.  Ours aren't always great because our roads too are private, and our owner has to get a contractor in to do it.

FedEx uses independent contractors to do home deliveries anymore (my husband once interviewed with one, and noped out when they said  they pay by the day, so if he goes over a certain amount of hours and was likely to do so, he would be making less than minimum wage with no benefits), so the owner of the truck isn't FedEx, and doesn't have FedEx $$$$.  I saw right on the photo that was shown that it was a contractor (there's always a note in the corner by the door that says something like "Independently Operated By (Insert name here) Express".

And yes, the park owner had things poorly marked.  The "NO OUTLET" was on a dead end road that you could clearly see was a dead end.  His other notes weren't visible until you got to the barrier.  I get the park owner not wanting people to cut through, but he needs to mark it BEFORE the turn.  Something to the effect of "No Left Turns - Dead End Street/Blocked Exit/No Exit/Something Else".

• Love 3

5 p.m. episodes, first is New, second is a rerun-

Neighbor Resorts to Stockade Privacy Protection-Plaintiff suing defendants for taking down ugly fence (2 x 4) and orange temporary fence, after plaintiff covered the fence in blue tarps.   Plaintiff says the tarps were to keep her dogs from seeing the defendant's Chihuahua.   However, plaintiff put up a 6 ft wooden privacy fence the previous weekend, and on what the defendants claim is their property.       

Defendant damages include plaintiff climbing on their roof, painting the chimney to her liking.   (Sadly the plaintiff is the poster woman for sun damaged skin, and why you should use sun block).    JJ  ignores the trespassing, and chimney painting.    I'm sure if the plaintiff fell off their roof, she would have sued them for everything.    Plaintiff is lucky she didn't fall off the roof and die.   (they keep showing the 'I've fallen and can't get up' commercials during this show today).

Defendant says when advised by JJ to move if it's so awful, and says he's going to turn his house into a halfway house.    (I like the defendant).  Cases dismissed.   I pity the defendants living next to that loon.    

Say Sorry to Your Grandmother-Plaintiff grandmother suing defendant grandson for a car that she sold him.   Grandson made payments for a while, and then stopped  paying.    Defendant claims the payments were gifts to grandmother, and he actually bought the car for $100, and that's what he told the state of New York when he registered the car (it was on the title).  Grandson owes $6600, (it was a sale price of $10,000).   Grandma gets $5k, and I bet son gets a letter from the NY car registration people about the bad registration. 

Hotel Heist or Gold-Digger Guest-I remember this, and it's a doozy.    Plaintiff was staying at a hotel for 10 days, went out for the evening,  claims the hotel illegally re-rented her room,  and the other couple checked in and were given her room.   Plaintiff was out for the evening, the other couple went to the room, and in the middle of the night the plaintiff came back and her key didn't work.     However, she can't prove she had the money, why she left it, why it wasn't locked in a safe, and why she left her valuable property behind in the room, and not in the safe in the room.     Plaintiff claims a lot of items were missing, including $1200.      This is the one where the plaintiff's now husband, has a 16 year old daughter at home that didn't want the plaintiff woman in her house, so it must be interesting around that house.     The hotel comped the woman from the 24th to the 28th, and was upgraded to a jacuzzi suite.     The manager had a meeting with the plaintiff, and the room other occupants, and made sure the plaintiff had all of her belongings, and hadn't left anything behind, and her items had already been moved to the other, upgraded room.     Plaintiff claims she sat in the lobby waiting for the police the rest of the night, and kept submitting higher and higher costs for stolen property,   Case dismissed 

West Nile Virus Threat-Plaintiff landlord suing defendants, former tenants for property damage, and unpaid rent.    Defendants are now living in a room with relatives (for a hefty price), and stopped paying rent after defendant was fired.     Defendant claims the rental was unsafe, and exposed them to West Nile.       Defendants moved suddenly without notice, after he lost his job.    Damage to the property was toddler writing on the walls, screen damage from the dog ($500 non-refundable pet deposit), the usual junk left behind.  Security deposit was $2150, so landlady keeps that, and two weeks of unpaid rent $1075. 

• Love 3
(edited)

In today's fence dispute case, at one point JJ said she was not there to assess personnality; and then later she said to defendant "I have a feeling you are a nasty guy". I am not expecting true consistency from her, but she could at least have told the plaintiff that she is a nasty old biddy; but that would probably have gotten her in front of the discipline committee of their shared Secret Sisterhood.

As for the car case, the defendant was another example of that sub-species of deadbeat leeches who will screw anyone they can since they believe all other persons were placed on this planet solely to make life easy for them and to take care of their every need so that they can shirk their responsibilities.

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I pity the defendants living next to that loon. 

Considering what I just posted, of course I fully agree.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 4
(edited)

The sad thing is that virtually everywhere you have to disclose the psycho neighbors from hell to potential buyers, especially since the defendant wife had to get a restraining order against the woman.      I hope they do turn it into a halfway house, and biddy has to live with that.   Bet she won't climb on that roof, and paint the chimney again.      I've had bad neighbors before, and have a great deal of sympathy for the defendants.     Biddy is lucky she didn't fall off of the defendant's roof, and lay there bleeding out in the flower beds.   

I think living next to the loony neighbor could make anyone frustrated, especially when you have her trespassing, doing nasty things to the wife, and having to get a restraining order against her. 

My guess is that the defendants bought the Christmas gifts before the chimney painting, and decided to give them anyway.    Then everything escalated, and  the plaintiff started her campaign against the wife, that led to the restraining order being granted.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Well, the plaintiff (geeze, shouldn't there be a cut-off age when sleeves become mandatory?) thinks she's "fabulous." Did you read her note?

"That way you won't be gawking at my fabulous self and I won't have to see your chubby, botox wife in the yard with your yappy dogs." 

Def. husband was a smart-alecky, pea-brained, bigmouthed, smirking dumbass and his wife is a mousey, sour schlub. Horrible, horrible people and yeah - everything was hideous. I just wish we had a vid of the old witch spraying  Sourpuss with the hose.

Then we had Grandma suing her grandson for stiffing her on a car she sold him for 10K.  He's twenty-six and for a chipmunk-cheeked, roly-poly little ultra-douchebag, the attitude was rolling off him in waves as he gave JJ the stinkeye. And yes, of course, he has a girlfriend. 🤣 Seeing him brought to mind that song:

"What a man, what a man, what a man,
What a mighty good man"

• LOL 5
48 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"That way you won't be gawking at my fabulous self and I won't have to see your chubby, botox wife in the yard with your yappy dogs." 

That was so grotesque and delusional that I almost (but not quite) wanted the defendant to win. Also, if you come on my property without permission, climb up on my roof and paint my chimney the way you think it ought to be, I will prosecute you to the fullest extent the law allows, and maybe farther (razor wire and mini claymores come to mind).

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, DoctorK said:

That was so grotesque and delusional that I almost (but not quite) wanted the defendant to win.

Me too, if Hubby hadn't been so arrogant and smirky, and they hadn't been forced to admit they were so thrilled over the Santa-cartoon chimney painting they gave her not one, but two gifts.

These people see each other only on weekends and have managed to create all this hostility and destruction. Imagine when they're full-time neighbours?

10 hours ago, DoctorK said:

(razor wire and mini claymores come to mind).

This could be on the agenda.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

5 p.m., first episode new, second is a rerun-

Gimme Half of What's in Your Pocket-Plaintiff suing defendant for title for motorcycle he bought from defendant, and didn't pay off.        Plaintiff claims a bunch of payments to defendant, but has no receipts.   Defendant had the motorcycle retitled in his name, when plaintiff stopped paying.    Also, some money was from plaintiff to pay for emergency surgery for defendant's dog.    $1470 to defendant to pay bike off, the title is signed so plaintiff can get it registered, and that's the end.  (Dismissed without prejudice, so defendant can take the other $1,000+ to small claims locally)

Snowy Road Sideswipe-Plaintiff suing defendant for car damages resulting from a sideswipe accident on a snowy road, where defendant fled the scene.   Defendant is granddaughter of car owner, and was specifically excluded from the insurance coverage, so she was uninsured.    The plaintiff says they were driving opposite directions on a snow covered road that was narrow because of the snow build up, and defendant squeezed by, and pickup bed hit the plaintiff's car.    Defendant fled the scene, and plaintiff's had to follow her to get the truck license number.   Defendant still thinks that because the grandparents let her drive that the insurance is a non-issue. The damage to plaintiff's car is less than their $2,000 deductible, so that's why they're suing defendant personally.    $1704 to plaintiffs.

Older Woman Mauled by Boxers-Plaintiff is suing for seeing her mother-in-law being mauled by Boxer, by her tax preparer's dogs.   The plaintiffs went to tax preparer's house, went in the open front door, and mother-in-law was bitten (she was an intruder, and the dogs did their duty).     Defendant does taxes on the side, and plaintiffs came to the house to pick them up, and one dog bit the mother-in-law.    Defendant daughter-in-law wants money from going to the hospital after seeing the mother-in-law bitten.    The women did not have an appointment, just dropped by, called and had no answer, and went in the screen door into the house.     Plaintiff claims the dog came out the front door, and the dog bit her on the leg, breast, and hand, but the emergency medical report said only bitten on hand.   Plaintiff MIL didn't mention the breast bite for 15 days.    (Sorry, something bites you on the breast, you'll notice before weeks later).   Plaintiff has Medicare, but claims she had bill sent to tax prep. man, instead of submitting the bill to Medicare.   Defendant claims the plaintiffs came inside the house, and woman was bitten in his house, not on the porch.   Defendant gets $1500.   

Grizzly Moving Accident-Plaintiff suing defendant for loss of finger helping defendant move a concrete grinder (I looked online, a concrete grinder like this is huge, and very heavy).   Plaintiff was employee of defendant's construction business, and claims he has Worker's Comp.     However, defendant claims the plaintiff was just helping him move the concrete grinder, and wasn't acting as an employee.    As JJ says, the defendant should claim on home owner's insurance for accidents on his property, and for business accidents use Worker's Comp.    JJ tells plaintiff to get a lawyer, and sue the defendant .  The defendant talked to an attorney, and they couldn't find the company records or insurance.   The defendant put the business and other accounts in his wife's name, so now the plaintiff has the information for the lawsuit.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Plaintiff suing defendant for title for motorcycle he bought from defendant, and didn't pay off.        Plaintiff claims a bunch of payments to defendant, but has no receipts.

Why do people come in here with no proof of anything, other than "I swear and I'm a Christian" or "Here are my bank records. I took out money, but well, not the amounts I said. Oops."? These two were such thick dumbbells I wanted to weep.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Defendant is granddaughter of car owner

I can't believe anyone would let HER drive a car. Wow.

• Love 4
On 6/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, Florinaldo said:

I initially pegged the defendant as a territorial asshole considering the number of times he mentioned "private property". That assessment was sealed when the used the "I am a God-fearing man" line as a testimonial to his honesty and credibility.

If I went into a hissiy fit each time a Canada Post or FedEx delivery truck enters my property, I would have died of an apoplectic fit a long time ago.

Too bad JJ did not decide to award the delivery guys more money because the private signage for the private blockage was privately deficient.

The rest of him was not small either.

I understand he put up the signs after allowing the cut thru for apparently a long time, because a couple of his tenants had their cars damaged by cars/trucks that skidded off the road in bad weather. If he really was a god fearing man, he would have posted a sign saying private road and maybe had someone who worked for him monitor people using it and redirecting them. Even go so far as to post notices in the Krogers that asked patrons to stop using the PRIVATE road as a shortcut.  He had a right to limit usage of his property, but not to be a dick about it. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Why do people come in here with no proof of anything, other than "I swear and I'm a Christian" or "Here are my bank records. I took out money, but well, not the amounts I said. Oops."? These two were such thick dumbbells I wanted to weep.

I can't believe anyone would let HER drive a car. Wow.

What was with the headband?  Was it hiding something? Holding something together? A fashion statement? 

• LOL 4
34 minutes ago, iwasish said:

He had a right to limit usage of his property, but not to be a dick about it. 

Does he have a right to keep people living on his property from getting deliveries of stuff they have ordered?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, iwasish said:

I understand he put up the signs after allowing the cut thru for apparently a long time, because a couple of his tenants had their cars damaged by cars/trucks that skidded off the road in bad weather. If he really was a god fearing man, he would have posted a sign saying private road and maybe had someone who worked for him monitor people using it and redirecting them. Even go so far as to post notices in the Krogers that asked patrons to stop using the PRIVATE road as a shortcut.  He had a right to limit usage of his property, but not to be a dick about it. 

I missed the part about skidding off the road (but that's somewhat on the park owner, because the roads are private, and up to him to clear), but in this particular case, a person living in the park was getting a delivery, so while I get your point, the guy needed to be there.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, iwasish said:

What was with the headband?  Was it hiding something? Holding something together? A fashion statement?

Holding in those nine brain cells, maybe.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought that brassy old broad was hilarious, little sawed-off overconfident beef jerky strip that she was. I would probably be much less enthused if she was clambering around on MY roof, but the defendants were total pills and begging to be messed with. 

I also can't help thinking that, if JJ's humble dentist dad hadn't put her through all 67 years of law school or whatever--if she wasn't glowering down at us from atop her cash pile--she would ABSOLUTELY be the petite, overtanned, busybody biddy neighbor to someone somewhere, Brooklyn or otherwise. "The only attitude here is MINE." Well, she's gotta put it somewhere. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

5 p.m. episodes, both new (the first episode is starting late because Soccer ran over, but don't worry, they managed to get in at least six of the lawyer ads)-

Classic Mercedes Mayhem-Plaintiff suing ex-friend for car bills for two cars the defendant worked on for the plaintiff.  Plaintiff refuses to pay defendant for what he has put into the cars.  One car is driveable now, but not the other.  Plaintiff claims mechanic/defendant does this all of the time to car owners.   Plaintiff can get the cars, if he wants to, but moved from Georgia to Utah, so cars won't be picked up, and plaintiff wants to be paid for the cars.   Nothing for either litigant. 

Cat Fight Over Cheap Wine-Plaintiff is suing for return of rent, belongings, and other junk.   They were roommates, plaintiff left, and plaintiff wants her security back, her December rent, and money for assault on her.  They were fighting over a $3 bottle of wine.   Defendant claims hair ripped out by plaintiff hasn't grown back.  Defendant was evicted for non-payment recently.   No security deposit was remaining after eviction, so that's gone.  Fight happened on December 3rd, and defendant wants doctor bill paid from March over her hair (they gave her antibiotics, nothing to do with her hair).  Counter claim dismissed for defendant, plaintiff $1037 for property. 

Landlord Dodges a Bullet-Plaintiff (future tenant who never moved in) is suing defendant (future landlord to be).    Plaintiff wants deposit back on room defendant rents, (defendant rents 3 bedroom apartment in private house, rents out two rooms to sub-tenants).   Plaintiff gave deposit, and was supposed to move in on 1 February at noon, and former tenant moved out, but at 4 p.m., on 1 February.    On 1 February plaintiff couldn't get into the house when he came to the house at 2 p.m. , refused to wait two hours to get into house (defendant was at a funeral).     As JJ says, defendant should be thrilled plaintiff didn't move in, because he would have been a nightmare tenant, and it would have been hard to get him out.  Plaintiff receives $500 deposit back.  

Intersection Pile-Up-When two motorists collide at an intersection, they're each suing each other.  Plaintiff was in the long left turn lane, but was still going straight, when plaintiff hit the passenger side of his car, a true t-bone accident.    Defendant had a stop sign, plaintiff did not.    Defendant claims plaintiff was already in left turn lane, and should have turned left at the intersection he was hit at, when defendant crossed the street, and was hit.   Defendant, as usual, had no insurance.     Police failed to take a report, because no one was injured.    Plaintiff's insurance paid him $9,802 for his car, and defendant was uninsured, so his counterclaim was dismissed.    Plaintiff gets his $500 deductible paid.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Landlord Dodges a Bullet

I don't understand people like Mr. Morgan. He wants to live in a 3-bedroom apartment but can't afford it. So instead of taking a 1-bedroom apartment, he finds strangers on CL and FB - about whom he knows nothing -  to live with him in the other two bedrooms. So actually he IS living in a 1-bedroom place since that's the only one he has use of. When I was renting, I took 1-bedroom apts and lived there by myself. What's the deal with these people, who want CL transients moving in and out of their places? Oh, and Mr. Morgan? Take your funeral paper and shove it where the sun don't shine. 

They were fighting over a $3 bottle of wine.   Defendant claims hair ripped out by plaintiff hasn't grown back. 

Thank you. I'll be skipping this one. And here I thought it was horrible that women physically attacked each other over some loser male. 🤣 WTF kind of wine costs 3$????

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

And here I thought it was horrible that women physically attacked each other over some loser male. 🤣 WTF kind of wine costs 3$????

After an extensive 30 second Google search, I came up with this list  of the best and worst box wines. Scrolling down, I notice a few sub $3 per bottle.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Boone's Farm?

I was a great fan of Boone's farm (apple only, none of the rest) and I don't recall it selling for $3 a bottle even back then.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Whoa, SRTouch! That's some list, with wines under three dollars! There certainly isn't any 3$ wine around here and hasn't been for decades.

Great reviews:

Smelled like a cheap candle, tasted like a cheap candle.

So I guess the litigants'  wine was worth ripping hair and fighting tooth and nail over - well, for them anyway.

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

I was a great fan of Boone's farm (apple only, none of the rest) and I don't recall it selling for $3 a bottle even back then.

I liked the Boone's farm apple wine, too.  I liked Takara Plum wine even more!  I think you are right, though.  They weren't that cheap.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Cat Fight Over Cheap Wine

Who the hell gets into a physical fight over a 3 $ wine bottle, Now, it it had been a 200 $ Barolo or a 300 $ Burgundy, then I might have had a little sympathy for those two alleycats.  😉

Landlord Dodges a Bullet

Plaintiff's demeanor was disquieting, but he was certainly owed his deposit. Of course, the dumb defendant was still arguing in the hallterview that he should not have to reimburse, despite the fact that he was shown to be in the wrong for changing the terms of their agreement without the other party's consent. I think the plaintiff is also lucky not to have moved in with that dickhead.

I do not know if I would have had the patience to stick around after showing up with a moving van and not being able to enter, since that would bave been an ill omen for future behaviour on the part of the landlord.

Intersection Pile-Up

The plaintiff was the poster boy for unreliable witnesses all over: he could not remember the date, was not sure of the time of day and was a bit confused about the details of the accident.

The biggest twist of the case came during the hallterview: the defendant said the ruling was fair because he was unsinsured. And then he did not go into the usual litany of "I was not able to present my case fully", " she did not let me show her my evidence", "they are all liars", "Proxima Centauri was in retrograde which is why things did not turn out well for me", etc. Rather refreshing attitude on the part of someone who just lost.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Rather refreshing attitude on the part of someone who just lost.

Little Mr. Garcia acted quite shocked at the end of the case when he was told he would get nothing for the damage to his car. Imagine if the plaintiff had been injured, hospitalized and/or required surgery as a result of this accident? Def would just shrug and say, "Sorry. I drive around with no insurance, so tough for him." 

Maybe he finally realized how easily he got off - not even having to pay the plaintiff's deductible - so decided to play it the humble way. I certainly would.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Little Mr. Garcia acted quite shocked at the end of the case when he was told he would get nothing for the damage to his car.

He gave it a good fight, as litigants are no doubt encouraged to do so by the production team; I think it is very probable that the show tells them to play up the surprise if the decision goes against them to make a good show for the camera. They can also exaggerate to each of the litigants the probability of their case winning, under the guise of giving them "useful advice". He may also have thought that the confused testimony by that long and lanky airhead of a plaintiff would not be taken seriously by JJ. In the end, he opted to be gracious in defeat, something few litigants manage to do.

• Love 2
(edited)

If the Defendant had insurance, there might have been more of a case.  The lane that the Plaintiff was travelling in is a turning only lane - not a left turn lane.  It's not for driving.  It's to turn right or left in congested areas - gets you off the main roadway.  People drive in them all the time here to get around stopped traffic and get to the light where they want to turn sooner.  And accidents abound.  My parents were hit by someone trying to bypass stopped traffic.  And he didn't have insurance.  Neither of them were in the right, but the Plaintiff came out on top by default, since the Defendant had no insurance.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

My parents were hit by someone trying to bypass stopped traffic.  And he didn't have insurance. 

I've been hit twice by no-insured assholes.  My truck is too old to justify more than liability, but I do pay for uninsured coverage.  $10/mo I think.

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

I've been hit twice by no-insured assholes.  My truck is too old to justify more than liability, but I do pay for uninsured coverage.  $10/mo I think.

My mom and dad's insurance went up for one year because of that accident, since their Uninsured Motorist policy had to pay out.  So unfair.  They called other insurance companies in the area, and they all said the same thing, so they kept the insurance - they'd been with it for years.  The cop told the guy that hit them that you are not allowed to drive more than so many feet in the center turn lane - it's not a traffic lane.  A quick google shows that there are many similar statutes in other states (California is 200 feet to drive in that lane, Texas was less, etc).  The guy told the cop that my parents shouldn't have been turning.  The cop said they were legal to turn, and they had no cause to think that someone would come barreling down the turn lane from behind stopped traffic and hit them.  I would put money on it that the Plaintiff came down the center turn lane because he wanted to get to the light (and likely a turn arrow) faster than the stopped traffic would allow.  I see it every single day where I live.  Plaintiff blew past the end of the center turn lane and in to the left turn only lane, and it's very similar to blowing a stop sign, since that lane isn't for moving traffic, and there was a space between the end of the center turn lane and the left turn only lane, to allow traffic from the side street where Defendant was.  The traffic was stopped, so the Defendant was able to make his turn and wasn't expecting someone to come driving down the center turn lane.  But the pesky no insurance thing assured that he doesn't even get a reduction in blame for the accident.  It's now all on him.

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Love 4
(edited)
36 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

My mom and dad's insurance went up for one year because of that accident, since their Uninsured Motorist policy had to pay out.  So unfair.  

Isn't that really the definition of "unfair"????   Getting penalized when they did EVERYTHING right! 

I don't know what happened to the plan to seize a vehicle after a wreck or ticket, if there was no insurance.  That's how they sold us on the mandatory insurance law, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Isn't that really the definition of "unfair"????   Getting penalized when they did EVERYTHING right! 

I don't know what happened to the plan to seize a vehicle after a wreck or ticket, if there was no insurance.  That's how they sold us on the mandatory insurance law, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Yep.  They'd never had to use that coverage up until then.  Luckily, their car came in under estimate for repair, and they used the left over to cover the cost of the one year policy increase.  That's all legal here in PA - they checked before doing that.  They wouldn't have even had to get the car repaired - they could have cashed the check and kept the money - also legal here.

They could have seized his vehicle, but it was a pure junker - worth nothing.  It also wasn't in his name.  It was in his girlfriend's name, and she literally hit him a number of times when she showed up to the scene.  The cops intervened.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2019 at 11:12 PM, DoctorK said:

My "back then" is pretty far back and I recall it being REALLY cheap, as I was a very poor college student. It was always a tossup between Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

My "back then" is pretty far back and I recall it being REALLY cheap

My "back then" was early 70s as a grad student (in the DC area which may have affected prices), but using a cost of living calculator, $3 in 2018 is equivalent to about $0.53 in 1973, less than even the bottles with typewritten labels in 1973. Turning it around, if Boone's Farm was $3 in 1973, that is the equivalent to about $17 in 2018, which can buy a decent wine today. Fun with numbers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The limo company owner from the rerun - you'd think someone who lies that much would've been in court before and have learned how to behave. (And it's thanks to JJ that I had copies of every single piece of paper in hand when I had to go to traffic court to prove that I'd fixed a fix-it ticket.)

And while usually I nope out of any dog case that isn't "we are returning this dog to its owner!" you do have to enjoy the look on JJ's face when she asks the plaintiff a question she knows the answer to and he should too: "What's your girlfriend's birthday?"

It's July 4th. Yep, he's a keeper.

• LOL 3
(edited)

5 p.m. episodes-First episode new (and may be shortened because of Soccer coverage running over, again.  Last Day of that), second a classic rerun-

New-

Remodel Slander-Defendant / contractor counter sues for slander about quality of work, causing loss of income.    Plaintiff claims the contractor did a rotten job, and has pictures.   Defendant and plaintiff apparently never agreed on exactly what was required, and only paid $2800 for a $5,000 job, and it was sub par.    If you want to pay sub par amounts, then you're not getting the same quality job as if you had a regular contractor.    Plaintiff gets $300.   Even with getting someone to fix the bathroom, for an additional $3,000, the bathroom remodel  will equal the price she was quoted by professionals in the first place.    

Privacy Invasion-Defendant/landlord accuses tenant of being a slob, and allegedly has the pictures to back it up.  Tenant/plaintiff says she was too tired and busy to take out the trash, and left food garbage in her room constantly.   Plaintiff wants her security deposit back ($500), and $1,000 a month was the room rent.    However, defendant claims the room was clean when she left, but landlady claims the video was taken the day plaintiff moved in.      Food trash was removed by move out.   Plaintiff gets $180 back, minus trash and cleaning by defendant.   

Rerun-

Misguided Binge Shopping-Plaintiff is former boss, and friend of defendant/former employee over plaintiff's purchase of $600 in school clothes for defendant's daughter.     Defendant says she never agreed to repay boss for school clothes, and she never would have spent $600 for school clothes.     Defendant was only asked for the school clothes money the day after the plaintiff fired her.     JJ calls the school clothes a gift, and plaintiff gets nothing.  

Jet Ski Stupidity-Plaintiff jet ski owner suing defendant guest for hurting her used jet skis.   The skis are 20 years old, and have full insurance coverage.    Plaintiff paid $3,500 for the trailer, two jet skis, lift for the skis, a few years ago.    The insurance company wrote her a check for $1406 after a wreck in 2016, and the skis were used after that, until the 2018 wreck.    Defendant was at plaintiff's lake house, they were on the jet skis (he's a rank beginner).   Defendant actually thought you could steer from the back seat of the jet ski.   Plaintiff is lucky the inexperienced defendant had suffered injuries, she would have been sued.   As JJ wisely points out, grandmother/plaintiff already came out ahead financially. 

Plaintiff grandson claims the accident damage to his jet ski is underneath the front, because he saw the accident was going to happen, and lifted up the jet ski.   Sounds like garbage to me.   My guess is that plaintiff's grandson ran up on the defendant's jet ski.   Case is dismissed. 

(Warning, tomorrows rerun case is the man who was stabbed several times, and tires slashed, and he's suing the ex-girlfriend.  I remember this, not a good one to watch during dinner). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

5 p.m. episodes-First episode new (and may be shortened because of Soccer coverage running over, again.  Last Day of that), second a classic rerun-

New-

What the hell?!  I'm watching JJ (on NBC or ABC) and after about 10 min or so, it changed to soccer coverage from France and on FOX!  The on-screen guide said it was still JJ.  I refused to watch soccer, so I changed the channel and eventually came back and it was JJ again.  How does that HAPPEN?

Remodel Slander

2400$ to remodel a bathroom? I had my main bathroom done in 2017. The contractor came and spent some time examining the bathroom, plumbing, floor, and pipes down in the basement, taking notes all the while. He came back in a few days with a price and a contract. AND, the best part is he didn't even move in with me and I didn't have to feed and take care of him!  Of course, I paid a lot more than 2400$. Grinning def contractor, who I just bet is not licensed or insured didn't even take the time to to to the house and glance at the job. But, the plaintiff wanted super cheap and that's what she got. Those tiles smashed and hacked out to make room for the wall switch were hilarious.

And then we had another case just like on TPC today. Some CL slob goes to live with a stranger and keeps rotten food etc in her room because she's so busy she had no time to put her yucky trash in the garbage. The garbage can was small! I understand. I leave half-eaten food and moldy stuff all over my kitchen until it stinks so badly I can't stand it because I just can't find the time to lift the lid and put it in the garbage. I"m busy!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Remodel Slander

How many times have we seen this, A cheapskate litigant who was expecting 5-star results at a 3-star rate? And then wanted the contractor to reimburse her not only what she paid him but also for what another contractor did to bring it up to her high but skinflint standards. What a greedy grubby no-chin creature she was (she reminded me of the monstrous villain Shadow King in the TV series Legion).

10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

And then we had another case just like on TPC today.

Were the two shows in competition for the most lazy and disgusting litigant of the day? I think that in this contest TPC wins by a hair (no doubt a dirty and greasy one).

ETA: Corrected the link.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Those tiles smashed and hacked out to make room for the wall switch were hilarious.

Yet she had champagne tastes, complaining about the width of the grout lines!  It's strange that he used 1/4" over 1/8" spacers, because there's literally no advantage to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Yet she had champagne tastes, complaining about the width of the grout lines!  It's strange that he used 1/4" over 1/8" spacers, because there's literally no advantage to him. 

She also seemed determined to force some sort of jailhouse comparison into the record.  She made the remark at least three times and failed to get a reaction on any occasion.  Let it go Miss Piggy.

• Love 4

Remodel Slander-Defendant / contractor counter sues for slander about quality of work, causing loss of income.    Plaintiff claims the contractor did a rotten job, and has pictures. 

Too bad they didn't allow for that industrial size bottle of SUAVE to sit on the niche (all $3 worth cos I got my own bottle that doesn't fit in MY niche so it sits on the shower floor). 

I may not be Susie Homemaker but I do not allow any food upstairs in my house for that precise reason. I had teenagers and this is the kind of laziness that would have drive me insane. Take your trash out of your room on a daily basis, ya slob. Her collection of Big Gulp cups alone gave me the heebie jeebies. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Take your trash out of your room on a daily basis, ya slob. Her collection of Big Gulp cups alone gave me the heebie jeebies. 

Who has "no time" to take out the trash; who thinks like that? I had to wonder whether or not she had the time to bath.  Shuddering at the thought.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

She also seemed determined to force some sort of jailhouse comparison into the record. 

So, like, how many jailhouses/jailhouse bathrooms has she visited?

2 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

It's strange that he used 1/4" over 1/8" spacers, because there's literally no advantage to him.

Maybe the 1/4" spacers were on sale and he opted to put the extra dollar or two in his pocket? Is inviting people who do work on your house to move in with you a new trendy thing? We've seen this several times now. I guess I'm out of the loop in that regard, although I'm pretty sure had I asked the guy who did my kitchen and bathroom to bunk in with me he would have said "No thanks".

32 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Her collection of Big Gulp cups alone gave me the heebie jeebies.  

You better not watch yesterday's TPC then.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Maybe the 1/4" spacers were on sale and he opted to put the extra dollar or two in his pocket?

She said she gave him the proper spacers! Why would she have spacers on hand to give him? Who hires a tile guy and worries about spacers?

Maybe they smoked a lot of crack.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Byrd is the Word said:

Who has "no time" to take out the trash; who thinks like that? I had to wonder whether or not she had the time to bath.  Shuddering at the thought.

But you guys are forgetting..... she had to walk all the way through the backyard to put her trash in the trash can. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

She said she gave him the proper spacers! Why would she have spacers on hand to give him? Who hires a tile guy and worries about spacers?

She went to Lowe's and bought the materials. But I'm with you.  These things generally don't happen with professionals.  And where was she when such a dramatically important remodel was happening? If you're that particular you need to supervise your Craigslist nail bender/tile crusher. 

Edited by Byrd is the Word
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Too bad they didn't allow for that industrial size bottle of SUAVE to sit on the niche (all $3 worth cos I got my own bottle that doesn't fit in MY niche so it sits on the shower floor). 

I may not be Susie Homemaker but I do not allow any food upstairs in my house for that precise reason. I had teenagers and this is the kind of laziness that would have drive me insane. Take your trash out of your room on a daily basis, ya slob. Her collection of Big Gulp cups alone gave me the heebie jeebies. 

Yeah, her industrial shampoo bottle (surprised it didn't have a pump) was too big for most niches.  Duh.

I wasn't the cleanest kid, but I did screw up once with food (generally, I didn't eat in my room - even snacks - because I hated crumbs in my bed).  I was at summer marching band practice, and my mom forgot to send the slip in so I could get lunch there (It was at the school but in the summer, so no cafeteria - Wendy's provided our lunch - it was good), so I had to pack lunch.  The first day, we were out of lunchmeat, so she told me to take 2 pieces of leftover fried chicken.  When I went to toss the bones, the trash can said it was for the food you buy there only.  So back in the lunch bag they went.

They got it all straightened out, and she told me that the rest of the week, I could eat there.  Problem solved.  A few months later, I noticed an odd smell in my bedroom.  It was cold out, and the heat was running.  It kept getting stronger and stronger.  Finally, it was getting to nauseating levels (we thought it might be related to the furnace and it would "burn off", whatever it was).  My dad thought there might be a dead mouse somewhere in the room ,and told me to check the baseboard registers.  When I moved my bed, I about fell over.  There was the lunchbox - it had fallen behind my bed when I dumped my stuff that day after practice.  Inside was the remnants of that fried chicken (mostly bones, but some meat was left).  I about vomited.  I threw it in the trash, and then my dad took the trash out and burned it...in the middle of winter.....lunchbox and all (it was one of those soft sided insulated boxes).  The smell held off until the heat kicked on.  The lunchbox was resting up against the baseboard register.  Nasty.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3