Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Bootcamp

First shenanigan. The wall of songs. Really? This is some ANTM bullshit. Song choice is really critical. We're serious now. You need to work well with your team. So run at the wall like a pack of animals. Dance, monkeys, dance!

Group 1: I think this exposed some weaknesses but all in all they got a good song. It gave them enough room to show off their voices. Caitlyn and Christopher are still very good. I'm just not wowed. Caitlyn's voice was less supported in a shouty way and you could hear the break sometimes. Christopher was just fine. No Getaway is a weird name... kind of threatening. They sounded OK but weren't bursting with charm. I think Caitlyn will be safe. I'm not sure about Christopher in the Overs.

Group 2: I don't know what was going on. Too heavily edited. And of all the Miley Cyrus songs, why this one to show you can do a fun upbeat dance pop song? I think Bradley and Ottavio's voices are pleasant but they really need some coaching and direction. They're not going to get there on their own.

Group 3: Antonia Mirat. They spelled her name wrong on screen. LOL. Like I said when she auditioned, if you're going to do this, you need to have it figured out. I was slightly more sold on her mixing pop and opera but there were no syllables...

Group 4: Ooh, she injured one of the Brooks. There go the fans. But really, though, is she just going to sing songs from the 80's. Without the gimmick, very shaky voice. Not terrible. But not impressive.

Group 5: Honey G. Who is enjoying this? The only good thing about that was Dermot's reaction to her getting through.

Group 6: Yes, Friday Night was fun. But come on, now. What is the point of auditions if you're keeping everyone?

Group 7: Oh, no! Poor Eddie Lee. I liked him. He didn't sound awful but he clearly forgot the words. Jamuna was just terrifying.

Group 8: Tom and Laura have lovely voices. But let's be serious, looking the way they look, they need more stage presence. And I didn't think Tom sounded that great in his solo part later. Aeron sounded so forced. It's so weird. For some reason he reminded me of a Keanu Reeves character. I would never want to listen to that even though it was mostly in tune. I genuinely liked Matt. But he'd be even better in a boy band.

Group 9: Gifty's voice reminds me so much of someone. I don't think it was the prettiest vocal but it was a fine vocal and she does have stage presence. It had an attitude. I don't think she fully has the support for her full/low notes but I like that she's making the attempt. When she sang full out at the end, that was gorgeous. Anelisa's voice was kind of irritating when she finally came in. It didn't blend. Which is fine when you're solo but not in a group. She and Chanel were pretty overshadowed. Anelisa did get her moment though but I think it worked in context, not as a star performance on its own. I would 100% keep Gifty and give Anelisa another chance to really shine. Anelisa needs to be a solo act. Her voice stands out too much.

Group 10: The first group with 5am was boring. Were they just singing in unison? Janet Grogan wasn't bad in the second group but it wasn't pleasant to listen to either.

Group 11: Oof. This song didn't help with the whole whiny thing. Coldplay? Really? Wishy-washy and lame.

Group 12: Samantha's doing this weird hiccup yodel thing I'm not into. It just sounds like she can't negotiate the break in her voice. She feels like Cher Lloyd with less attitude/charisma. I don't hate her but I could see myself being annoyed if she took the spot of someone better like Gifty or Anelisa.

Group 13: Sasha was fine. Very strong makeup for 21. She seems like she needs a group. I liked James. Christian was OK. Honestly, not the best singer. But he's at least trying to perform. I did think the growling was an interesting touch. Also, I hate this song.

Group 14: It's The Supremes. Or Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. What is there to fight over? It's a great song to show off your voice. Not too taxing to sing. Tinuke was pretty good. Skarl3t was OK. Kayleigh had this beautiful ease about her vocal. I feel like they must have edited out a chunk because I didn't get Simon's reaction.

Group 15: Ryan so breathy. Join a boy band. Freddy was off. Flat? Melissa was the best of the three but it didn't seem to be the right song for her either.

Group 16: I like Faye. She doesn't have the best voice but she's got some attitude. I don't see her going far but she's one who could go on to become a presenter or something.

Group 17: Ivy's a little cheesy but super adorable and yes, great voice. I think she should have kept it in a lower key maybe. Just because you can hit the notes, it doesn't mean it doesn't start sounding like shrieking at a certain pitch (unless it's opera).

Group 18: I think Saara's runs are lovely but otherwise I'm not wowed. She doesn't have a big voice and she sings like someone who doesn't speak English as their first language.

Group 19: Rebekah is just... exhausting to listen to. She sounds way affected and also super tired. I know it's late but she sounds completely drained of energy. This is a great song. Why would you make it this drippy easy listening slog? James does have an interesting voice. But if this wasn't just manufactured drama and he is really struggling this much with lyrics, I don't know if he'll make it to the live shows. He could be a singer but this doesn't seem like the right way for him to get there. Samantha THOUGH. She's ready to fight for this. And it wasn't all power and tricks. It was control and technique.

So my favorites from bootcamp so far are Gifty, Matt Terry, Samantha, and James Craise. I also liked Anelisa, Kayleigh, Ivy, Faye, and James Wilson.

Just slogged through a youtube clip montage of all the group peformances and the judge's deliberations. Basically no one of any consequence was sent home at the time of the performances, right?

Where was Emily Middlemas?? She had to be in one of those two yes rooms......I would hope.

The groups are just dreadful. The guys in No Getaway cannot sing. 5am made zero impact other than the backflip the one guy busted out. I feel like Tom and Laura (and probably Ottavio and the other guy, because this is X Factor UK after all) are pretty much locks to make it through the 6 chair challenge successfully. Maybe that Skarl3t (ugh) might join them....or Girl Next Door. I'm not really sure it matters.

James Wilson's voice continues to intrigue me. I liked that Caitlyn in the first group too. The desperate singing guy (who did an original song in his audition) has no other gears does he? How can you listen to more than 3 or 4 songs of his at any one sitting? Just exhausting...

BTW, thanks for your diligent breakdowns (with links!) aradia22. Very much appreciated :-)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Bootcamp Results

(Simon) Girls: I think it's between Faye, Emily, Samantha Lavery, Caitlyn, Kayleigh, Gifty, and Soheila because I don't really recognize the others. But really I think Gifty's almost guaranteed to get through. She could be another Fleur East and I can see Simon responding to the ambition in her. Caitlyn and Kayleigh are probably competing for the same spot as are Emily and Samantha. Faye has the slightest chance of sneaking in there but it seems doubtful.

(Louis) Groups: Tom and Laura, 5 AM, Bradley and Ottavio, Yes Lad, Skarl3t, The Brooks, and a bunch of people I can't identify. This one's hard to figure out at this point. I do think Louis will want to keep Bradley and Ottavio. Apart from that, I have no clue. Probably The Brooks because they get a lot of Xtra Factor time and they could be another Jedward. But unless the judges make a group, I can't see a group winning this year.

(Nicole) Boys: Christian, Matt Terry, Freddy, Niall, James Hughes, and a bunch of randos. Where has James Hughes been? I'm rooting for Matt and James. I know I'm supposed to like Christian and Freddy and Niall but I'm just not into it. I think Nicole will do fine with the Boys but it's not a great use of her talents, especially if they make her pick guys like Christian and Freddy and Niall. Even if she gets Matt or James I'm not sure how much mentoring she'll be able to impart.

(Sharon) Overs: Christopher Peyton, Samantha Atkinson, Rebekah Ryan, Saara Alto, Anelisa, Melissa, Ivy, Janet Grogan, James Wilson, and possibly James Craise? If James Craise got through, I'm rooting for him As for the rest, this is actually pretty competitive. I like Samantha, Anelisa, and Ivy but I could see them being pushed out for any of the others who are more conventionally attractive/have a better backstory. I haven't watched a lot of Sharon years (if any) so I don't know how she is as a judge. With the variety and the talent, this could go so many ways. I hope Sharon doesn't keep any of the joke acts. The Overs are actually competitive this year.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

If Soheila is picked, it's because they needed Simon to have at least one "fodder" act for the house visits (I'm assuming that's still a thing). It's funny how you see Gifty as another Fleur East.....cause I think Samantha Lavery has a lot of Cher Lloyd in her and I'll be mildly surprised if she doesn't make it through the six chairs. If Faye was an over, she'd be an absolute lock I think. But in this category I have the same reservations. I'll say Kayleigh is the other girl person out. In my pretend crystal ball, she'll have a seat for a while and then have it taken away from her towards the end.

The Over's are pretty interesting. I'd say Saara from Finland, Christopher Peyton, Melissa Pedro, Anelisa, and probably James Wilson have pretty good chances. And then maybe one of Samantha/Rebekah/Janet....to round it out. I'm not sure about Ivy. She sounds really dated and X Factor UK had a Filipino Girl Group in the mix last season.

This should've been the point in the proceedings where they hit us w/ some Frankengroups.......since they didn't, are we to take that as it won't be happening at all this season? Or could they still structure it where the groups go into the six chairs last......and they play up some drama how the duos/groups aren't bringing it in the prep sessions, so they're going to throw a lifeline to some of the Boys/Girls rejects to get back into the competition at the very last second?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15