Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/19/2016

Athena
  • Start Topic

With respect to the cast of Friends, I'm around Joy's age & didn't watch the show.  I can identify with Joy because some of the Friends references would be lost on me too although I have become familiar with the cast over time (without watching the show).  Just sayin'.

• Love 9

I never watched it either except maybe once or twice.

I think Raven and Sara get giddy when they can talk about some dumb pop culture thing, like they finally know something Joy doesn't!  Woohoo!  See how smart and witty they are?  What was that other phrase they were shocked Joy didn't know?  I had no idea what they were chirping about. Guess that makes me unhip too.

• Love 6

Haleth asked "What was that other phrase they were shocked Joy didn't know?"

"Down with the TPP" which is a play on a '90's rap song by Naughty by Nature that has the lyrics, "are you down with the O.P.P." then "yeah, you know me". I'd never heard it before which puts me in the Joy category. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 10

BYE WHOOPI. omg I have never been so relieved in my mind. I just gotta get through season 20 and then I am in the clear! Hoping that Whoopi gets in a fight with Jedediah and she quits halfway or something. Then the View will have a spare $5 freaking million dollars to use to get Meredith back! Could you imagine

Meredith, Joy, Paula, Sunny and Sara. Now that is a panel! Plus I guess they can keep Jedediah and then find an actual millenial like 20 year old who is educated.. maybe Betsy Woodruff or Olivia Nuzzi, two very popular young politic reporters from Daily Beast

Edited by Bmarsh
  • Love 5

Sarah explains how the public / she identifies with the Rachael character on Friends and the hairdo "Rachael " and that Joy  probably had one and didn't know it , Raven couldn't wait to say no she's always had the same hair....... Say that to Whoopi smart ass. 

I would be shocked if Joy knew or had ever heard of that rap group or the expression  I had never heard about them and I'm ok with it. Joy should squeal with delight when Raven doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground  Joy  is a well rounded person  

I'm surprised Whoopi won't be coming back maybe that is why she's pushing her weed product for menstraul cramps.   Maybe Joys not coming back either she just bought big ass house in sag  Harbor  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, backformore said:

YES!   Fallon pretty much fawned over Trump and treated him like a celebrity, not a presidential candidate.  

Jimmy Fallon is known for a bit of sucking up to all celebrities.  He's just a lightweight who likes to entertain--which he does very well.  I don't think he should be counted on to do any in depth interviews.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Are Paula and Raven teaming up to portray Joy as someone who is out of touch with current culture?

Of course, there are all sorts of areas of American "culture," and Joy is much more in touch with some of them than other panel members.  Celebrities' private lives are one tiny fraction of America.   There's art, literature, architecture, fashion, etc.   Thankfully we can pay attention to areas that interest us.

• Love 5

Since Whoopi wants to direct movies then she can take Raven with her and work on movies together.

Their loss will be our gain. Joy can be the permanent moderator and all's well with the world.

• Love 9

I think Raven and Sara get giddy when they can talk about some dumb pop culture thing, like they finally know something Joy doesn't!  Woohoo!  See how smart and witty they are?

Dumb pop culture things are really all that Raven and airhead Sara can talk about.  Was this when they were high fiving each other?

Airhead Sara isn't able to contribute to any conversation when Whoopi, Joy and Jediblahblah get into it about Hillary and Trump. But when Raven is there, she and airhead Sara have dumb things in common.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2016 at 9:25 AM, Vinyasa said:

I like Joy but that taxi bit was just stupid.

And it is even stupider that they want to do another one with airhead Sara!

What about when they were all like, "I'm not doing it, let _____ do it."   Ha!  

On 9/22/2016 at 11:53 AM, jalady said:

Reason #345, 829 why Whoopi is an idiot.  Plus, a federal court just ruled against the EEOC when they brought a case on behalf of a Black female whose offer of employment was withdrawn because she refused to cut her dreadlocks.  (I won't bore anyone with the details but basically they said dreadlocks could be cut off so weren't an immutable (unchangeable) aspect of being a Black woman)  I'd have sent Sunny the legal decision if I'd known this was going to be a topic of conversation.  So she could smack them down with the facts, some more!!

I think that's exactly what Sunny said!  I love it when she lays down some facts on those morons!

I finally got a day free from Whoopi and CCB with added bonus of Sunny!   Not a bad show - my favorite part was Sunny slapping down Paula's dumbass question to the grieving sister of the Tulsa man shot by police.  Sunny was 100% correct, it was irrelevant and it's only the lazy media that is trying to make a story about it.  Whatever past problems that man had are irrelevant to what we can all see on the video - another murder of a black man with his hands up.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2016 AT 2:53 PM JALDAY SAID: Reason #345, 829 why Whoopi is an idiot.  Plus, a federal court just ruled against the EEOC when they brought a case on behalf of a Black female whose offer of employment was withdrawn because she refused to cut her dreadlocks.  (I won't bore anyone with the details but basically they said dreadlocks could be cut off so weren't an immutable (unchangeable) aspect of being a Black woman)  I'd have sent Sunny the legal decision if I'd known this was going to be a topic of conversation.  So she could smack them down with the facts, some more!!

2 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I think that's exactly what Sunny said!  I love it when she lays down some facts on those morons!

No "think" about it. That's exactly what Sunny said. She read the federal rule about how hair is not immutable--meaning that can be changed, unlike the color of one's skin or race.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
Trying to quote properly.
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2016 at 4:25 PM, Morgalisa said:

And, lately the end of the show is a mess. They are either stretching ( which Whoopi is horrible at) or they are rushed and barely finish on time.

Hah! That made me laugh because for years I watched The View on a TV station in a small market. As such, they were always cramming in commercials wherever they could.

Most days, It would be one of them signing off and it usually went like this: Take a little time.... cut to the local florist

Or Take a lit..... cut to the local hemorrhoid doctor.

• Love 3
On 9/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, backformore said:

I was not fond of Whoopi arguing with Sunny about her hair.   Yes, the world would be better if there was no pressure to have a certain kind of hair.   But Sunny is right, she probably would not have had the career opportunities she has had if she had natural hair.  Yes, Whoopi has been the exception to this, but for her to tell Sunny she was wrong, was not OK.   Women have had to dress a certain way, look a certain way, use makeup, have acceptable hair,  in order to get ahead in their careers, and Black women even more so.  Whoopi likes to say that SHE has had opportunities, so therefore there is no barrier.  But she is an exception.  Sunny knows that having straight hair, wearing makeup, wearing heels, have all helped her in her career, because she has had to go along with what society says women are supposed to look like.   As unfair as that is, Sunny played the game.  Maybe things are changing, let's hope so.  Philosophically, I agree with Whoopi - it SHOULDN'T matter.  But that's not the reality.

Two thoughts on this. A longtime friend of mine has worn dreads since college and she makes in the seven figures in the computer world so it hasn't held her back.

On the other hand, just saw a facebook post by a guy named Savion who was asked to cut his hair to get a job. He's worn dreads since college as well.

• Love 1

Employers have demanded certain things from employees forever. The New York Yankees are required to be clean shaven. Companies require employees to dress appropriately. No ripped tee shirts and cut-off jeans in the office. Same with hair. Anyone's hair.

• Love 4

Better yet, cancel the show and put something better on.  Looking at videos of Lisa Ling, I watched some of The Talk.  No ganging up on the interviews and Sharon Osbourne shut up.   That's way better than this show.  The wheels seem to have gradually come off in recent years.  This show was still good when Rosie and Hasselbank were on, and they both got annoying.  It was Babawawa's idea, and when she gave up on it, it turned in to this. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Apropos of nothing.  Don't renew Jedediah's contract.  Please.

I think she'll be persona non grata after the election & will be quickly phased out.

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I wonder if Barbara will make an appearance this season.

Please ... that would be the final insult to us viewers!!!

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, atomationage said:

I watched some of The Talk.  No ganging up on the interviews and Sharon Osbourne shut up.   That's way better than this show.

I love that there's no crosstalk on The Talk. I love the respect they seem to have for one another, at least on-air. But I find it virtually unwatchable because the topics are so fluffy and the discussions are so scripted. I like political discussions, so I prefer The View (minus Whoopi's pontificating). I enjoy The Talk most when it veers away from the fluff and into reality. Sheryl Underwood plays the clown most of the time, but when she gets real, she proves herself to be one of the most intelligent and compassionate people on any talk show. I would totally give up The View if The Talk would have that more often, rather that Kardashian News of the Day and the fakity-fake gasps by the audience at news like HiddleSwift has broken up.

• Love 8

I agree with everything you said about The Talk, but I just can't hack Sharon Osbourne.  I know too much about her & cannot listen to ANY opinion she pukes out, but she does make some good points every now & then.  The rest of the ladies are believable & decent, but I can't believe they care so much about the Kardashians et al.  Just sayin'.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Sheryl Underwood plays the clown most of the time, but when she gets real, she proves herself to be one of the most intelligent and compassionate people on any talk show.

I guess The Talk is more LA-centric and The View is more NYC.   I do prefer current events to celebrity gossip.  I don't particularly like Sara Gilbert as an interviewer either.  I think it's better just to watch the clips they put up on YT, than to get invested in either one of these shows.   I watched the Lisa Ling segment on The Talk recommended here, and they were pretty impressive that day, compared to The View.   As @ChicagoCita said, they're probably not that good that often.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 2

One thing that keeps bugging me pursuant to Lisa Ling's visit was that she presented them, on a silver platter, a REALLY HOT TOPIC that should be addressed!!!  She talked about having her first cesarean section that went very well, but her second did not due to a HOSPITAL BORN infection.  She alluded to the problems she endured due to this infection.  If this "show" had any guts at all & really was a show "for women", they would discuss this problem knowledgeably & in depth!!!  I think it's important to our young (child bearing) women!!!

• Love 18