Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/19/2016

Athena
  • Start Topic

So, yesterday's show isn't up on demand yet (???!!), and I'm only interested in the Valerie Jarrett interview, which is up online. And Oh boy, she wasn't putting up with Chipmunk's nonsense. Not for a second. And she was so gracious in shutting her up. Happens right away.

Here it is for those of us who didn't get to see it yesterday due to the program interruption:

And how STUPID was Jediblabla's question that President Obama could rid the world of racism just because he'd been elected to office? Loved Jarrett's response to her as well.

• Love 12

Sometimes I come on here to write about hot topics and just can't even think of what to say anymore... And days like today when you have two co-hosts actually defending racial profiling is one of those days. Jedi and Candace are repulsive. End point.

Jamie Lee Curtis was all over the place, unfortunately. She clearly wanted to put most of the focus on the book, but she could've given a quick answer to Joy and then transitioned to it pretty easily. She seems really nice though. (And I'll be watching Scream Queens again this year. The show's pretty bad, but occasionally funny....)

I looked forward, and Conway looks to be a guest on Thursday's show now. I wonder if she won't show up then either... And Sunny said she'd be on that day. It would be magnificent to watch Sunny interview Conway.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sometimes I come on here to write about hot topics and just can't even think of what to say anymore... And days like today when you have two co-hosts actually defending racial profiling is one of those days. Jedi and Candace are repulsive. End point.

Jamie Lee Curtis was all over the place, unfortunately. She clearly wanted to put most of the focus on the book, but she could've given a quick answer to Joy and then transitioned to it pretty easily. She seems really nice though. (And I'll be watching Scream Queens again this year. The show's pretty bad, but occasionally funny....)

I'm going to defend Jamie Lee and say that since she was listening to the "hot topics" while in the Green Room, hearing Chipmunk and Jediblabla made her head explode, and she just barely got it put back together when she went on air. But she didn't have enough time to calm down and be more smooth.

• Love 5

Color me not surprised KC didn't show up.  Whoopi and Joy are her worst nightmares.  I watch all the Sunday shows and the talking heads gave her a good going over.  That gal couldn't answer yes or no if her life depended on it.  Mr. Songbird won't even be in the same room when she's on.

• Love 7

So Whoopi starts out JOKING about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt getting divorced.   Because it's FUNNY?  Look, I'm all for making fun of celebs when they do something stupid. But these are real people, with real children.  Children who will be affected by this.  I'm not upset by the news, I have opinion on Brad or Angelina, but I was bothered by Whoopi's valley girl character acting like it was a joke.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10

but I was bothered by Whoopi's valley girl character acting like it was a joke.

Me, too, and maybe JLC was flustered by it also and that's what made her seem so scattered.  Her parents' divorce had a very big impact on her and she would naturally have a lot of empathy for the children of divorced parents, including Brad and Angie's.

Joy had a few zingers lined up for the Trump on bombing discussion - "Premature Evaluator" "Nostra Don-o"

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Oh boy, she wasn't putting up with Chipmunk's nonsense. Not for a second. And she was so gracious in shutting her up. Happens right away.

Wasn't that lovely?! Just a sight to behold. I'm originally from Chicago and Valerie Jarrett and her family are very accomplished. And in my time in DC I was present for some mentoring talks and roundtables she did for women of color in politics and government and she is really very impressive. She's the person in that White House that has both the President and First Lady's ear. 

So Kellyanne is rescheduled for Thursday? Then my guess is she was putting out fires today. This stuff with the Trump Foundation is starting to hit fan. Not to mention debate prep. Oh who am I kidding, like the Donald preps. I bet "something comes up" on Thursday too. But  if so Sunny is there? And Kellyanne does show up? Man, I will tune in to watch that live!

• Love 6

I'm thinking The Donald is trying to figure out some way to blow off the debate because he knows he can't "out talk" Hillary.  Just sayin'.

JLC was definitely throwing shade at Whoopi for what she said about Brad & Angelina.  JLC is such a smart, sensitive woman & I think she was trying to say a lot more than she knew she had time for.  She did very well (in my books).

• Love 13

Airhead Sara says nothing during the discussion about Syrians coming into this country, nods her head and has the blank look on her face.  At the end of the discussion, she reads a tweet from her blue card.

They need to move CCB and airhead Sara to a little table off to the side. When it is time to pick a card or read a tweet, then they can participate.  There is zero reason to have either one of them on and even worse when they are both on the same days for weeks. UGH.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, backformore said:

So Whoopi starts out JOKING about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt getting divorced.   Because it's FUNNY?  Look, I'm all for making fun of celebs when they do something stupid. But these are real people, with real children.  Children who will be affected by this.  I'm not upset by the news, I have opinion on Brad o Angelina, but I was bothered by Whoopi's valley girl character acting like it was a joke.

Would Miss Whoopi be joking if it were Will Smith and Jada getting a divorce. Just sayin ...

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Yep. JLC was throwing some shade Whoopi's way. And Whoopi's Valley Girl voice is always inappropriate and never funny. I thought she was talked to about that. 

I wish she would stop doing that valley girl  voice..It is old Whoopie, it went away with the 90's....She would be fit to be tied, if somebody did their impression of stereotypical Black woman from the hood.....Can you imagine what she would do, if Paula or Rosie did that......She would lose her mind...Her nonsensical rants would be epic...

• Love 16

I just thought of something--was Sara there today? I have no memory of her at all. Did she even speak once?

Airhead Sara nodded her head, read a tweet and picked a card from the wind machine.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5

Ok, now that I've watched the rest of the show, yeah,  Jamie Lee was calling Whoopi out.   Great to see Jamie Lee Curtis talk about her own experience with being a child of a celebrity divorce, and weave it into her story about her book.  I wonder if Whoopi got the message, or if she was oblivious to how she had behaved a few minutes before.   JLC was hurt by gossip about her parents, I am glad she presented it in a way that might make people think before making fun of a high-profile divorce.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, backformore said:

Ok, now that I've watched the rest of the show, yeah,  Jamie Lee was calling Whoopi out.   Great to see Jamie Lee Curtis talk about her own experience with being a child of a celebrity divorce, and weave it into her story about her book.  I wonder if Whoopi got the message, or if she was oblivious to how she had behaved a few minutes before.   JLC was hurt by gossip about her parents, I am glad she presented it in a way that might make people think before making fun of a high-profile divorce.

No, Whoopie did not get it, because she was nodding along Jamie's  heartfelt speech about understanding, when it comes to celebrity divorce..It was almost like she was saying by nodding, that only people like us Jamie, know the hardships of being a celebrity, unlike, these lowly, ignorant, peasants...Whoopie's ego is too big for her, to process that not everybody likes her or agrees with her point of view about life..It is why she gets so nasty, when somebody dares to disagree with her. Hence, her extreme contempt for Paula..

• Love 11

It stuns me that Whoopi didn't get that the stuff Jamie Lee was saying applied to her schtick mocking the Brangelina divorce.  There are six little kids at stake and rumors of anger being directed toward the children by a person with a drug and alcohol problem.  

It's not really funny. 

• Love 9

It really annoys me when Trump, the media, and the ladies on The View, all promote the idea that Israel practices racial or ethnic profiling. They do not. The US and Israel have the same policy. They do not profile by ethnicity, but behaviors. Israel used to use racial profiling. They stopped when a middle eastern man courted, married and impregnated an Irish woman, sent her on a plane leaving Israel and planted a bomb in her luggage. I have traveled to Israel and the security at the airport is disarming. It seems very relaxed.  But the  people observing you on the cameras are looking for fidgeting, sweaty upper lip, ect. I prayed not to have a hot flash.

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 6

I'm not sure Whoopi didn't make the connection with Jamie Lee, but she wouldn't dare contradict another movie stah.  Especially one who is smarter than she is.

12 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

But the  people observing you on the cameras are looking for fidgeting, sweaty upper lip, ect. I prayed not to have a hot flash.

Ha!  I felt the same way going through customs in Russia a few years ago.  

• Love 1

Can't stand Candace turning her pouty sad face to the camera & going into her rant about Hillary Clinton being "a crook & liar." Each time she does it, I want to scream! She claims to be a devout, loving Christian, so I don't know how she can support a man who continually spouts hate against so many groups of Americans, unless Miss Cutie Pie is secretly a right-winger who completely agrees with all the garbage coming out of Trump's mouth about Catholics, Jews, Muslims, our president, minorities, immigrants, our military leaders, prisoners of war, our allies, the disabled & the biggie about women who have legal abortions, deserving criminal punishment.  I hope ABC T.V. executives realize this is not her opinion, it's free political advertising for Drumpf.

• Love 13

Wow, that whole bit of why Whoopi did the Valley Girl broken hearted over Brad and Angelina totally went over my head! I think I had a Sara moment! I thought she did it, in a more mocking way--like why should we care about this? And why did the suits ask her to announce it. Because I'm pretty sure, after she was done with her shtick, she said how the "suits" or whoever, told her to make sure she mentioned it.

But then Jamie Lee said what she did, and I totally didn't catch that she was throwing classy shade at Whoopi. I guess I was just so happy to see her again, and not in one of the stoopid Dannon Yogurt commercials.

• Love 3

Jamie Lee Curtis is always a little scattered in interviews, but I follow her on Twitter, and she's been a vocal HRC supporter for awhile. So, I was thrown when the gals were trying to imply "Why NOW do you support her?" She was probably thrown too.

But yes, Whoopi's mockery of Brangelina's divorce and CCB and Jebiblahblah's racial profiling probably threw her too. Considering all that, she managed to get out what she wanted to say, so good for her.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 6

I was wondering if anyone else caught JLC derailing the opening for promoting her book to directly address the Brangelina divorce. She appeared to be really upset about how people were mocking it already. It really must have felt like a gut-punch when she heard it and when she came out on stage she was determined to say what she said and damn the book that this was more important to her.

That Kelly is a horror show. I've seen her on CNN and I can't believe what comes out of her mouth. If she was scheduled to be on the same day as Valerie Jarrett, I wouldn't be surprised at all if VJ refused to be on the show the same day as Kelly. I hope that was the case. I get very tired of the Trump camp tossing their weight around.

4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

It stuns me that Whoopi didn't get that the stuff Jamie Lee was saying applied to her schtick mocking the Brangelina divorce.  There are six little kids at stake and rumors of anger being directed toward the children by a person with a drug and alcohol problem.  

It's not really funny. 

I'm not at all familiar with that aspect. Who are you talking about?

• Love 4

Whoopi's valley girl schtick is awkwardly unfunny. She is a horrible moderator. Makes me miss Meredith & Rosie O. Yes, I said Rosie. Makes me wonder how it would had been if Rosie was on the panel this year.  Especially with the Trump talk.

CCB and her blue cards are distracting from the discussion.  As much as I like Rosie Perez, her blue card envy was what made me not warm up to her on this show.  I mean they are both actresses.  At least memorize what's on the  blue cards before you come on to make it look more genuine

Edited by rags
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But then Jamie Lee said what she did, and I totally didn't catch that she was throwing classy shade at Whoopi. I guess I was just so happy to see her again, and not in one of the stoopid Dannon Yogurt commercials.

That wasn't all the shade she threw. She also had that joke about Cosby sandwiched in there. I loved how Joy practically howled at that joke. I kept waiting for the camera to pan to Whoopi's sourface, but it only turned back to her at the end of the interview.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

That wasn't all the shade she threw. She also had that joke about Cosby sandwiched in there. I loved how Joy practically howled at that joke. I kept waiting for the camera to pan to Whoopi's sourface, but it only turned back to her at the end of the interview.

Eh? I must have missed that. Dammit, now I have to restore the episode to watch it again.

On 9/19/2016 at 9:21 AM, Bmarsh said:

... and I am so surprised they are having Jedediah on 4 days a week and Paula 1 day. Jed must do much better in focus group. I wonder if Sunny will start being on regurarly soon. Maybe when Candace starts acting again? or she will just be a regular subsitute for Whoopi, Sara and Joy?

Maybe it was Paula's decision? I don't know of course but she does have another gig - unlike Jebiblahbla and a family.  I'd like to think it was Paula's decision to cut back.  

5 hours ago, honeydo7 said:

Can't stand Candace turning her pouty sad face to the camera & going into her rant about Hillary Clinton being "a crook & liar." Each time she does it, I want to scream! She claims to be a devout, loving Christian, so I don't know how she can support a man who continually spouts hate against so many groups of Americans, unless Miss Cutie Pie is secretly a right-winger who completely agrees with all the garbage coming out of Trump's mouth about Catholics, Jews, Muslims, our president, minorities, immigrants, our military leaders, prisoners of war, our allies, the disabled & the biggie about women who have legal abortions, deserving criminal punishment.  I hope ABC T.V. executives realize this is not her opinion, it's free political advertising for Drumpf.

If I remember correctly, Candace was really disgusted by Trump last year during the primaries.  She kept saying things like, how as a Christian, she couldn't support someone so hateful.   Heh.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I wish she would stop doing that valley girl  voice..It is old Whoopie, it went away with the 90's....She would be fit to be tied, if somebody did their impression of stereotypical Black woman from the hood.....Can you imagine what she would do, if Paula or Rosie did that......She would lose her mind...Her nonsensical rants would be epic...

I don't see how Whoopi's a valley girl voice is relevant to race. Anyone can have that voice. White people make fun of that voice too. There is historical references of people denigrating black people(and other people of color) for how they dress and talk.The same can't be said for valley girls. Whoopi's Valley girl voice is used to discriminate and belittle? It just seems like she is making fun of vocal fry, which anyone can affect, black, white, asian, etc. I don't see any comparison to a stereotypical "hood" black girl voice.

Edited by May Jacks
  • Love 1

But Whoopi isn't doing "vocal fry", which is more recent.  She's doing a valley girl voice, and she only uses it when she's discussing topics in a mocking tone, like making fun of people who care about those topics.  valley girl speak started in the 80's,and it's pretty much a white girl thing.

Valley girl speak:  and how it's used to be sarcastic and demeaning

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6

If I remember correctly, Candace was really disgusted by Trump last year during the primaries.  She kept saying things like, how as a Christian, she couldn't support someone so hateful.   Heh.  

Yup! I remember that vividly. I think she even said she didn't know how she was going to vote, but that she couldn't vote for Hillary, because she doesn't share her philosophy, or something. I've been trying to pay attention and I haven't actually heard her say out right that she is now a Trump supporter, but she is quick to defend and spout Fox talking points. Which makes me think she is,trying to have it both ways. She doesn't want to publicly out herself as a firm Trump supporter, because it really is a toxic association, especially for Ms. Born Again, but she still wants to be able to trash Hillary. 

• Love 10

There was a moment before they cut to commercial break (how convenient) where Whoopi was ranting and CCB brought up Hilary and how she didn't agree with her on something (of course) and CCB basically says "Whoopi I'm agreeing with you!" And Whoopi is speechless for a moment (so rare) and she has to stop her ramblings and readjust WHAT she's saying just so she's contrarian again.

I liked that CCB of all people got Whoopi twisted up. 

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, backformore said:

But Whoopi isn't doing "vocal fry", which is more recent.  She's doing a valley girl voice, and she only uses it when she's discussing topics in a mocking tone, like making fun of people who care about those topics.  valley girl speak started in the 80's,and it's pretty much a white girl thing.

Valley girl speak:  and how it's used to be sarcastic and demeaning

Vocal fry is just a current version of the valley girl voice. There were black valley girls too. I'm sure there were Asian girls and Latina girls who spoke like that too. Whoopi does terrible British accents and southern ones too. Any one of any race can have those accents. Like the so called "hood" or "ghetto" accent aren't exclusive to black people but black people have been torn down for centuries based on how they look and talk. 

• Love 1

I think, CCM showed her true colors during her 40th birthday tribute on The View....while showing photos of her birthday gala ....one guest in particular stood out in that sea of white people & Candace beamed as she proudly told the panel she had "one black friend"......she could have said my childhood friend, my PTO friend, or my church friend.  Think Hallmark & Netflix want to be associated with a b***t?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Maryis1

They are referring to Brad Pitt. It has been alleged by Angelina that Brad has anger issues, and issues with substances. There is also some vague mention about issues with his parenting.

Thank you for the added information. Right now there is a big story on Radar Online about an unnamed individual who preyed upon child actors like Corey Haim. Pitt's name has been thrown into the mix on various websites like Jezebel who has run the story. I am wondering if there is more to Jolie's filing for divorce.

LMAO ---- Candace said she teaches her children to love thy neighbor as thy self....... don't think that applies to Hillary Clinton, who she continues to call a crook & a liar?   And as for b***t, it stands for whatever word you think best fits my comment.  Bye for now!

• Love 3

Sunny really needs to come back because the rest of these people don't do their research - even Joy.  When idiot Candace was repeating "but he did give the money to charity" they all missed the point.  He was sued - him, not the Foundation.  Twice!  Once for the flagpole thing in Palm Beach and once for reneging on a prize at a tournament at his golf club in Westchester.  And both times he settled the lawsuits by agreeing to donate money to the plaintiffs' charity of choice.  But since he was sued, not - say it together with me now - NOT his Foundation, he was supposed to use HIS money for the donation.  But he didn't.  He used foundation money to donate to the charities.  The Washington Post and most cable networks explained this very simply yesterday, last night and this morning.  The Post even had a copy of the check in the paper.  It's not that hard, people.  Do some research and shut up BAB and Jediblahblah with the facts!!!! 

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's really sad we can only count on one person (out of 7) on the panel, Sunny, to know the facts and express them.

Facts?  That would require some homework beyond listening to Fox talking points. 

• Love 4

I've been a longtime lurker on this forum but Candace and Jediblabla finally made me come out of the shadows. 

I absolutely dread seeing these 2 during the opening credits. Candace is Elizabeth Hasselbeck 2.0 who knows nothing, forces her beliefs and religion down folks throats, and only gets her information through cue cards or ear piece. I've been giving her the side-eye more and more each day with her justifying every deplorable thing Donald Trump does and I agree with the poster above who said that Sunny should've been there to give Candace and Jediblabla a factual tongue lashing. The View made a mistake by letting Nicole Wallace go because she was well liked and the only conservative panel on the show with a brain. 

P.S. Candace nobody cares if you're going to be absent from the show for a few weeks to film a another cheesy Hallmark movie. 

• Love 11

It's really sad we can only count on one person (out of 7) on the panel, Sunny, to know the facts and express them

Actually, we can only count on one person out of 8 (yes, there are 8 of them!!) So many of them you lose count.

What happened to the days of 5 people and knowing who would be at the table?

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 6

Um, Candace? If you had done your "Christian" job in the first place, your kids wouldn't have been cracking racist jokes about these shootings. So kindly stop patting yourself on the back and have several seats.

Edited by Meatball
  • Love 17