Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I had twins almost 3 years ago, and I did raise my eyebrows at the lack of nurses, doctors and sense of urgency during her TRIPLETS delivery. Especially since her water broke and she was in active labor, as opposed to being induced or prepped for csection. These babies were on their way out! (When I went in for my csection, I was immediately hooked up to IVs, heart monitors, etc., and there was a team of about 4-5 nurses, doctors, anesthesiologists taking care of me during pre-op.) Also noticed the out of date equipment but just sort of chalked it up to either a small-town hospital or the case of a tv show just getting it wrong. 

So even though the birth scenes were a bit suspicious, I did not see that twist coming. Loved it! 

Eta: A few people up thread mentioned the guy on the date requesting a "handy". I was totally grossed out by that and get a bad vibe from him.

Edited by Baby Pickles
clarification
  • Love 5

random chance and ClareWalks, thank you for reminding others of how the post began. I would only add I don't like the trope because in real life it's not true. I don't know where the show is going with this ultimately, but grabbing a stranger off the streets just because of DNA is seriously wack. 

On 9/21/2016 at 4:04 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

None of the big moments were earned, imo.  I was not invested in any of them.

Same here.  Maybe I'm too far removed from being thirty-something (although I gave thirty-something a hard pass when it was on), I didn't care for any of the kids.  Kevin, especially.  He knew what the job was, had obviously been on the show for some time, and only now is discovering it has "men can't be women, silly" "jokes"?  There are plenty of guys who'd take that crap in a heartbeat.

Just so much don't care.

23 hours ago, Randomosity said:

see Kevin James

I'd rather not.  That a repeat of King of Queens is on the air is puzzling and nauseating.

• Love 1

Most posters have already covered what I was going to say about the pilot, so the one thing I will say is the scene where Kate, Kevin, and Toby(? I think that was the dates name) were watching Kevin's breakdown made me laugh out loud. First, because Kevin was sitting there shirtless meaning that he granted Toby's request for a shirtless selfie, and then that Kevin agreed with Toby saying that he felt bad for Alan Thicke. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Most posters have already covered what I was going to say about the pilot, so the one thing I will say is the scene where Kate, Kevin, and Toby(? I think that was the dates name) were watching Kevin's breakdown made me laugh out loud. First, because Kevin was sitting there shirtless meaning that he granted Toby's request for a shirtless selfie, and then that Kevin agreed with Toby saying that he felt bad for Alan Thicke. 

Not only that, but whose ever camera phone video they were watching , the person didn't turn it landscape (my pet peeve) and you saw like, their personal calendar on the side and stuff.  Nice touch.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Yes, and bio-dad said to Randal, while looking at the family picture, "I bet your dad was real proud of you." I thought I missed something because how the heck did bio-dad know to use past tense?!? Did Randall explain off-camera that his father passed away? It was very odd that he didn't use present tense. I would look around at how successful and what a seemingly great husband/parent he is and say, "I bet your dad IS real proud of you."

Perception? If the guy is a scammer he knows how to read people, plus it makes sense. Rebecca may still be of this earth, but I'm willing to bet Jack is dead. Also, I think this is birthday number one since his passing, hence why they focus on it. 36 isn't usually considered a landmark birthday, but it was Jack's first with the triplets, and their first without him. Which is why Randall is looking for his bio roots. Good chance that he never really examined how he felt about being the only Black, adopted member of a white family because Jack and Rebecca gave him as much love and support as Kevin and Kate got, but his grief over losing Jack forced him to confront those latent feelings. 

• Love 14

I don't know how successful "The Manny" is, but I know I for one would never watch a show where the writer found it the height of hilarity to have the guy think he could nurse a baby. I do have SOME standards.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 16

This. I'm pretty sure that Jack is dead, for all the reasons we have said. The fact that all three kids share a birthday with their father, it's 36 the year their father was when they were all born, the mentions of "what dad used to say", "your father must have been real proud of you", that all three kids seem to be dealing with life situations that can come when a parent dies, Randell needing to find his real real father, Kate and her weight gain which can come with grief, Kevin not being the actor he wants to be. I'm unsure about Rebecca. There was no mention of Mom, except Kate did say when she thought about being this age that  she "would be a mom like mom". So.. I don't know.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure Kate has been fat for a long time, there's no way she was an average weight person who gained all that weight from grieving a recent loss. I think her father's death made her confront the idea that she really has to alter her life if she wants it to start looking like something she envisioned for herself. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I'm pretty sure Kate has been fat for a long time, there's no way she was an average weight person who gained all that weight from grieving a recent loss. I think her father's death made her confront the idea that she really has to alter her life if she wants it to start looking like something she envisioned for herself. 

She did speak as if she had been fighting her weight for her entire life.  I do hope that they explore the reasons why she is overweight instead of just going for the superficial "fat girl" story lines.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

I think they should also delve into how Randall feels about his siblings. Kevin and Kate are not only the biological children but they are twins which is a bond of its own. I think that will be interesting to see. 

But they're not identical twins, so Randall, being the same age as his siblings, should have commonality of experience as if they actually were triplets. I mean, I'm sure he got treated differently by others once they were school age, but my read of the parents is that his race would have been a non-issue within the family.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Bruinsfan said:

But they're not identical twins, so Randall, being the same age as his siblings, should have commonality of experience as if they actually were triplets. I mean, I'm sure he got treated differently by others once they were school age, but my read of the parents is that his race would have been a non-issue within the family.

I think it would have been a non-issue within the home, but I'm sure they got plenty of rude stares and comments when out and about: at the playground, grocery store, restaurants, etc. That kind of stuff still happens today. Even grandparents, aunts, and uncles could have been judgmental and given preferential treatment to the two biological children. 

• Love 4

I had a love/hate relationship with Parenthood. This Is Us reminded me of the good aspects of Parenthood - the loving, supportive relationships between the siblings, the poignant real life moments, etc. but without the annoying holier than thou Bravermans. I didn't see any of the ads or articles beforehand so I didn't know what to expect, but I liked it enough to keep watching.

For some reason, when I saw that Milo Ventimiglia was in the cast my brain somehow translated that to Wilder Valderrama (probably because he dated Mandy Moore) so I kept waiting for Fez to show up. I haven't seen much of Mandy Moore's acting (I remember she guest starred as JD's girlfriend on Scrubs who said, "That's so funny," instead of laughing and more recently she played doctor on Red Band Society) so I didn't have much of an impression of her as an actress, but I like her in this role so far.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For some reason, when I saw that Milo Ventimiglia was in the cast my brain somehow translated that to Wilder Valderrama (probably because he dated Mandy Moore) so I kept waiting for Fez to show up.

That cracked me up.  I personally am so glad it was Jess and not Fez. 

I, too, had a love/hate with Parenthood, and this definitely has the vibe.  I think these characters may have potential for a bit different take on family, and I am impressed by the acting in the episode.  I don't normally like Gerald McRaney much, but thought he excelled in this doctor role.  The guy playing Randall is a standout. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, atomationage said:

I liked the show a lot, but are Milo and Mandy going to be in the whole series in flashbacks? 

I'm guessing yes, based on the observations by some of the posters' comments above. Jack probably recently died, but we might see Rebecca (Mandy Moore in age makeup) in scenes with her adult children. I have a feeling that Milo's scenes will be with his children at different ages in their lives; infants, young children, teens, etc. 

• Love 3
On 9/20/2016 at 11:02 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

That reveal was well done. I was genuinely impressed. When Jack was staring at the two babies and then the firemen said about the baby being left at the station, I just kind of went "aw it's kind of like a book end" because I'm an idiot and then the smoke offering happend, it was kind of genius. For me anyway.

I don't think Rebecca or Jack are alive. Just when Kate said "remember what Dad used to say about lemons?" It seemed like someone being described in the past.

I can't get over that ending. It made the show for me. I liked it but I didn't find anything different or spectacular about it and then the ending. It was really good.

Wasn't it?

On 9/21/2016 at 9:48 PM, Emily Thrace said:

I remember thinking it was odd that both OB's were male was odd. Its an almost entirely female field these days.

As someone else said, this must be regional.  I'm in Missouri, and my four children were all born in the 21st century (including the youngest two in the 2010s) and of the dozen or so OBs with privileges at our city's hospital, not one of them is a woman.

On 9/21/2016 at 0:39 AM, chocolatine said:

Great explanation, makes the scenario somewhat plausible. I had no idea about the bolded part (I didn't grow up in the US), that's really sad to hear. It looks like maybe the story takes place in California? Kevin's sitcom would most likely be taping in LA, in the outside scene where Kate throws her junk food into the trash and puts dog poop on it, it looks like Spanish-style homes, and if Randall was just able to drive over to bio dad's place and then take him to his house, they must all still be in the general area where they were born. California has always been a progressive state, no? I would hope that stupid rule didn't exist there.

As I understand it (and my mother was a professor in a university's school of social work not long after this), this sort of rule was not like the old racist rules against interracial marriage, but actually borne out of a progressive impulse.  Basically, not wanting to have black kids grow up without being in touch with black culture.  And also a concern about some of the things that have happened in the past with aboriginal peoples especially.  This is infamous in Australia, but also happened some in the U.S., and many Native American nations/tribes are still to this day resistant to letting white families adopt native children.

On 9/22/2016 at 3:31 PM, random chance said:

How would they do that, though? If he was dropped off anonymously, even DNA isn't going to be a help is it?

DNA matching was not a thing then.

Unlike everyone else, apparently, I had a love/love relationship with Parenthood (I consider it one of the best network dramas ever made, up there with The West Wing, Awake, and The Good Wife), which is why I was interested but wary given the comparisons that have been made.  I'm not finding it quite at that level, but it's definitely very good.

I had read that there was a "twist" critics were supposed to keep mum about, but even then I didn't cotton to it until the cigarette.  Masterful job by the show to conceal it (lots of closeups, LOL) and yet make it still seem plausible on rewatch (which I did, of their scenes).  I had noticed the "Family Photos '75-'79" box, but I thought it was just old photos.  Their furniture and carpet and electrical outlets and such are definitely old style, but I thought they were just living in an old, non-updated apartment.  But a close look the second time through reveals some old piece of equipment that might be an eight track player or early VCR, but definitely would not be anything anyone now would keep around.

One thing I'm wondering about is that there were earlier scenes in the hospital where you could see a couple people in the background, but their clothes are ambiguous (a big contrast to how people are dressed in the final reveal).  I don't know if they kind of stretched it there or not.  Same goes for the scrubs the nurses were wearing.  Mightn't they have still been in white with the weird little hat back then?

I don't think the dying biological dad is shady, and going to steal or con or any of that.  I will be really shocked if the show goes in that direction, and frankly I find it a little icky that so many people are saying this.

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 4

Very curious to see how far they'll go with the social implications of the adoption and potential prejudice--people telling Jack and Rebecca they're crazy for adopting interracially, Sterling's feelings about not looking like his family and possible quest to tap into his black roots amidst a white family, Jack and Rebecca walking around with a black baby and getting looks, etc. Even today I know women in interracial marriages who appear to be a different race from their biological children and are asked if they adopted or are the child's nanny. And this is 2016! So there's a whole potentially different (and interesting) angle to the show than I was expecting from the ads. 

Edited by TheNewJanBrady
I said Kate instead of Rebecca!
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SlackerInc said:

As I understand it (and my mother was a professor in a university's school of social work not long after this), this sort of rule was not like the old racist rules against interracial marriage, but actually borne out of a progressive impulse.  Basically, not wanting to have black kids grow up without being in touch with black culture.  And also a concern about some of the things that have happened in the past with aboriginal peoples especially.  This is infamous in Australia, but also happened some in the U.S., and many Native American nations/tribes are still to this day resistant to letting white families adopt native children.

This is my memory of that law. It had good intentions - but like so many laws (well intentioned or not) it had some negative consequences.

I had my kids a little bit after these kids were born, but even before then I had female gynos - but it was more of an effort to find them than it is now. Even so, for one of my kids was delivered by the on-call OB, a man I'd never met before. I was way too internally focused to notice or care.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SlackerInc said:

I don't think the dying biological dad is shady, and going to steal or con or any of that.  I will be really shocked if the show goes in that direction, and frankly I find it a little icky that so many people are saying this.

It would be pretty trope-y and I wouldn't like it, it just furthers too many stereotypes, but

Spoiler

the preview for next episode shows the daughter-in-law thinking in that direction, too.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Personally, I think the supposed biological dad is not truly the biological dad and Randall's actual bio dad may be an upstanding guy. I don't find that speculation bad at all. 

That is my suspicion too.  I mean we went from a picture "I found him" to "You're my dad!!"  What real proof did Randall really have before confronting the guy?  Or for that matter I would love to know how did they even find the bio-dad in the first place?  But it would be another twist for Randall to realize that this dad isn't his real dad either.

Also I can't help but think he is a bit shady because the preview

Spoiler

shows him asking Randall for money. 

That just sets my radar off.  I could see him being an opportunist.

But we'll see.  I am liking the trajectory of all the stories so far.  Curious to see what the fallout of Manny-gate is for Kevin -- will it actually be a positive thing?  The public is just unpredictable enough to like that.

Also curious too see how Kate & Toby's relationship goes.  Also if she becomes committed to the weight loss, and how that will work with the actress in real life.  Obviously is she loses weight IRL then the character will too. 

Very interested in seeing how the kids grew up.  And oddly I am finding Milo Ventimiglia kinda hot with that beard when I never gave him a passing glance before.

And finally, I want to see the sibling relationship dynamic in present time.  I realize the pilot had to keep them away but I am real curious as to what their relationship is.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Reveal hidden contents

shows him asking Randall for money. 

And finally, I want to see the sibling relationship dynamic in present time.  I realize the pilot had to keep them away but I am real curious as to what their relationship is.

I am really interested in this. How does Randall (and his family) interact with Kate and Kevin. Wow, I just realize that the twins have two "K" names and Randall (obviously) doesn't. I know some may roll their eyes at this, but I can see how looking different, knowing your siblings are bio twins of your loving parents, and they even share the same letter of their first names can be big deals to the adopted kid who physically looks different from everyone else. Add to it, the normal discrimination coming from those outside the family. I can see Randall having a heavy weight on his shoulders.

• Love 6

SKB blew me away in the OJ series (he earned every bit of his Emmy award) and I like him a lot so far in this.  I have a feeling that Randall may have been the Best of the Best Dr's first name. There's a reason I'm sure why they went with that and they didn't choose a K name for him. 

The acting was good and because there is a lack of dramas that's aren't medical/cops/supernatural I'll see where this goes. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Or for that matter I would love to know how did they even find the bio-dad in the first place? [snip]

Also if she becomes committed to the weight loss, and how that will work with the actress in real life.  Obviously is she loses weight IRL then the character will too.

Oh good point about finding the bio dad! How on earth?

Re the weight loss - I wondered about that, maybe they had the sense to use padding at first to take some of the pressure off the actress, especially since a filming timeline is probably going to differ from the story timeline.

24 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Wow, I just realize that the twins have two "K" names and Randall (obviously) doesn't.

Of course he might be going by his middle name as people often do, but even so I think it would be pretty weird if all three of them had a K name.

• Love 1
Just now, random chance said:

Of course he might be going by his middle name as people often do, but even so I think it would be pretty weird if all three of them had a K name.

I am not saying I like the naming proventions that some do with multiples (same sounds and rhyming) but that child Randall could have easily felt left out by something else separating him from his siblings.

• Love 4
Just now, Enigma X said:

I am not saying I like the naming proventions that some do with multiples (same sounds and rhyming) but that child Randall could have easily felt left out by something else separating him from his siblings.

Oh I do see what you're saying, I'm just thinking that KKK might have been bad too.

Really they should have given them all R names if they wanted to name him after the doctor.

• Love 6
Just now, ClareWalks said:

Or perhaps they just coincidentally liked the names Kevin and Kate and weren't purposefully using a K scheme with their bio kids just for the purposes of excluding their adopted black son.

I am not saying they were purposely excluding him just that a kid who is different could feel more isolated by that.

I believe at this point that Randall's parents loved him but acknowledge that there may have been things (especially from a kid's pov) that may have influenced how Randall felt about his place within the family (while still feeling loved by them).

• Love 5

I really liked this, except Randall's story.  SKB and the actress playing the wife were excellent and trying to bring things to the stage that werent in the page to try to make it paltable, but they couldnt overcome Randall and she being written like complete fucking morons letting some stranger into their home around their young kids.  

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I am not saying they were purposely excluding him just that a kid who is different could feel more isolated by that.

I believe at this point that Randall's parents loved him but acknowledge that there may have been things (especially from a kid's pov) that may have influenced how Randall felt about his place within the family (while still feeling loved by them).

I didn't mean to single out any one poster, I just think in general there is a huge overthinking of this name thing, considering we have seen absolutely nothing in this one episode to indicate that Randall felt out of place. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I really liked this, except Randall's story.  SKB and the actress playing the wife were excellent and trying to bring things to the stage that werent in the page to try to make it paltable, but they couldnt overcome Randall and she being written like complete fucking morons letting some stranger into their home around their young kids.  

I felt Randall's actions were relatable, he had a range of emotions from rage to the impulsivity of 'do you want to meet your grandkids', and his wife did think he had gone crazy, but my assumption was something happened off screen where he found out more from the investigator than name and address.  Of course we are all speculating but the purported father may be just who he appears to be, or in league with the investigator who has identified a very wealthy man with a weakness to exploit.  Randall seems so successful that he must not be a moron in other aspects of his life, but this situation is different from business or professional dealings.  From the scene in the older man's apartment, I want to believe that his admission that he doesn't even remember going to the firehouse was real and not part of a scam, because it could easily have resulted in Randall just leaving in disgust, never to return.  That said, I do have to wonder about finding someone 36 years after the fact, when possible witnesses, etc. would be difficult to locate. 

• Love 3

I think the writers just advanced Randall's story to the point where they wanted to start from after the pilot.   I know someone who was contacted by a son she gave up for adoption more than 40 years previously.   This case does seem odd that he would even know how to get a hold of someone who dropped him off at a fire station, unless the bio-dad left some information about himself 36 years ago.   Also, bringing the guy home with children in the house seems wrong, and his wife didn't seem to like it that much.   That already happened.  I'm looking forward to wherever the show goes. 

• Love 3

Or perhaps they just coincidentally liked the names Kevin and Kate and weren't purposefully using a K scheme with their bio kids just for the purposes of excluding their adopted black son.

Or maybe they had a male "K" name picked out for the last triplet and they buried him with that name. Then, they wanted to give Randall his own name to respect that he isn't just a "replacement". That he was wanted all on his own.

The kids are a little messed up for having such loving parents.  The twins seem to lack self-esteem (to the point of loathing themselves) while Randall is wound pretty tight (though he appears to have a great family - I love his wife).

I suspect we will find out that Kate was raped at one point (not by her parents - just at one point. She wears her fatness as a shield). 

Edited by kili
  • Love 6
On 9/22/2016 at 3:45 AM, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, I also hated that. My interpretation of it was "does he think just because she's fat she is sexually desperate, that he can speak to her like that on a first date?" I saw it as a total insult. I guess his character is supposed to be charming and funny but the jury is still out for me.

I thought he was joking. And so did she, it seems.

And I don't think Kate was raped but the kids do seem less well adjusted than one would assume from seeing the parents.

• Love 4

The first thing that occurred to me when McRaney's character said that the third triplet had died, was that Randall was that baby, and he was taking it upon himself to put him up for adoption.  I couldn't figure out how that was going to work out, and was glad with the way the show went. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, kili said:

Or maybe they had a male "K" name picked out for the last triplet and they buried him with that name. Then, they wanted to give Randall his own name to respect that he isn't just a "replacement". That he was wanted all on his own.

I really like that explanation, it makes complete sense.

• Love 6

Thinking more about the relationship between the three siblings, outside of the differences in race and the fact Kevin and Kate are twins, it accord to me that Randall, on the outside, is the most "successful"--he has money, a job he is seemingly proud of, a happy marriage and home life. Something his other siblings don't have but want. I can see them having a dynamic wherein the twins are a little resentful or envious of Randall's successes and Randall perhaps takes a more lecturing or disapproving "older brother" role with them. It would be interesting if that's where they go with it.

• Love 6

I do think they would have buried the third baby with a name they had already picked out. They didn't know the genders ahead of time, it seems, so you'd think they'd have had names for three boys ready, just in case. So you wouldn't think Randall's name is some random last-minute outsider name - just the third of three boy names. My thought was that maybe he was named after the firefighter (or the doctor - did we learn either of their first names?).

Middle names being used is also a possibility.

Kate could also be a 'C' - Catherine or Caitlin, etc.

If they really did name the 'real' kids with matching names and gave the adopted kid a random one... Weird :\

ETA: Kevin could also be a stage name, if perhaps he was given a 'non-Hollywood' name at birth. Named after Grandpa Mortimer or Uncle Eugene or something.

Edited by Randomosity
Forgot to add...
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

That is my suspicion too.  I mean we went from a picture "I found him" to "You're my dad!!"  What real proof did Randall really have before confronting the guy? 

I'm assuming until the show indicates otherwise that the PI he hired gave him more proof than just the single photo, and he was convinced by that he'd found the right guy.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I'm assuming until the show indicates otherwise that the PI he hired gave him more proof than just the single photo, and he was convinced by that he'd found the right guy.

I thought the same thing. Also, didn't his Dad talk about Randall's mom dying giving birth to him? How would the dad know that unless he was there? Of course, the PI could be in on the con and told him what to say when/if Randall contacted him. I don't think that's how this show is going to go though.  Did Randall already know before he went to see his Dad that his mom died giving birth to him? I thought he did but I don't have time to go back now and check. I was wondering how did Randall know about his mom dying if he was abandoned at the fire station? Could be the PI found that out first and that's how they traced the dad? Or there was a note.

Looking forward to seeing how that all works out.

2 hours ago, kili said:

(snip)

I suspect we will find out that Kate was raped at one point (not by her parents - just at one point. She wears her fatness as a shield). 

I thought the same thing, about the names. Randall was already getting the stillborn triplet's crib, onesie, etc. I can see giving him a name that was completely his own.

Re: Kate... gosh, I hope not. As a heavy woman, I really resent the popular theory that fat = damaged. Yes, some people eat their feelings and become fat. And some of us just love food, hate to exercise, and got unlucky in the gene lottery. Reasons for obesity (like alcoholism, etc.) range all over the nature/nurture scale.

• Love 15